Posted at 3:29 PM ET, 01/27/2011

Source: Capitals' maximum offer to Semin was two years

By Katie Carrera

Neither Alexander Semin nor the Washington Capitals were comfortable pursuing a long-term deal for the winger's contract extension, according to a league source who said the maximum length the team offered Semin was a two years.

The Capitals announced Thursday that they've signed Semin to a one-year, $6.7 million contract extension that does not include a no-movement or no-trade clauses. Earlier today on a conference call with reporters including colleague Tarik El-Bashir, General Manager George McPhee said the agreement had nothing to do with the Feb. 28 trade deadline and that the team approached negotiations open to the possibility of a longer-term.

"We were wide open to [long-term extension] discussions. We said we could do one, two, three years or longer if you want to talk about it. We were open-minded about whatever you would like to do here. The player came back and said they were comfortable with a one or a two, and last week said a one year deal would be fine. And we said, 'Okay.' After that, it was a matter of working up a number. It was done this week."

Part of the reason for the hesitation to move forward with a longer agreement, according to the league source, was uncertainty of the conditions that will be in place after the NHL's collective bargaining agreement expires after the 2011-12 season.

Semin is third on the team in points (35) and second in goals (18) but has missed the past nine games with a groin muscle injury. His rapid point production through the first two months of the season had tapered off prior to the injury as well with Semin recording just five points in 14 games since Dec. 1.

But when healthy, Semin is arguably unmatched in offensive creativity, and the Capitals believe he should help awaken their scoring ability and perhaps even the power play when he returns from injury. McPhee said he expects Semin to rejoin the lineup next week.

Semin's agent, Mark Gandler, said there is no reason to read into the length of the extension because it was the player's first choice to stay in Washington and not venture into unrestricted free agency.

"There was no reason to test the market," Gandler said. "He knows what he's going to get and what he's going to have here [with Washington]. He really enjoys his time in D.C., the organization and his teammates. ... There was no reason to change something that is working for him and we feel that he is wanted on the team."

By Katie Carrera  | January 27, 2011; 3:29 PM ET
Categories:  Alexander Semin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alexander Semin's new deal worth $6.7 million
Next: Weigh in on Alexander Semin's contract extension

Comments

I'm not sure if anyone saw this about a person on online chats, especially on hockey chats.

Interesting.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm just gonna take a wild guess and say that the league source is Semin's agent.

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

good signing now trade him!!!

Posted by: wendel2 | January 27, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

to who? I don't see many teams jumping at paying a headcase and non-playoff performer that type of salary.

unless of course you've only been watchin for 3 yrs...then i can see why you'd get confused easily.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

and if Semin wasn't going to test free agency or if the Caps weren't afraid of that possibility (i know i wouldn't be since he's not a typical outstanding free agent due to the many uncertainties surrounding him), why not just wait till after the season to offer him a deal? If he proves to be worthless from here on out, you've just committed to yet another year with this guy. Stupid.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

No, Semin didn't want to sign long-term I'll bet unless there was a NMC because he doesn't want to be traded and then stuck in some miserable place. Since McPhee said, "No NMC," Semin said, "OK, then one year."

Maybe they will just do him one year at a time. This makes sense for a player "afraid" of being traded.

pokerface: Yeah, I'm really sick of every story with McPhee having the "hot goalie" quote. Caps could play the Athletes in Action and the next day, after caps lose 2-1, McPhee would be quoted, "It was their paraplegic goalie. He stood on his head. What could we have done different?"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 27, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

trust gmgm.....what a loser

Posted by: wendel2 | January 27, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

So Semin had a nagging injury before he got hurt & put on IR. Let's all hope that is true & when he gets back, he plays like he did in the begining of the year. His return can only help the PP (it can't get any worse).
He was backchecking earlier this year. Hopefully, he doesn't feel secure with the 1 yr. contract to stop.
If they don't score when Semin, Fehr & Poti get back, what will be BB's excuse?

Posted by: chriscaps | January 27, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"This doesn't make sense. They could sign Backie ten years with CBA coming up and suddenly now McPhee is backing away?"

That's what Semin's agent said not GMGM.

Semin's agent(according to his agent) was wary of signing a contract now and then having it reduced by the next CBA(the last CBA reduced all contracts by 24%). This way he could sign a contract after the next CBA is agreed upon without worry of it being reduced by the next CBA agreement.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

That's what Semin's agent said not GMGM.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Ok so apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but: why, with 1 minute remaining and the Caps badly needing a goal, was Carlson's butt plastered to the bench?

Also, what is it going to take for BB to not have MG out there for every single second, of every single PP? Or to move Ovie off the point, and back to where belongs down low, where noone can handle him. Geez Louise. Bruce: the PP's not working, might be time for.a.freaking.change.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 27, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 27, 2011 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Vermont, I guess your boy sits again when the savior comes back into the lineup. I don't wanna be around when your head xplodes buddy. Start smokin weed now.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Whatdaya mean start? I haven't stopped since I started decades ago ;) Well, we knew this day was inevitable and Johnny has given me lots to be proud of this year....its simply absurd that he has to yield to Poti.

Awhile back I posted being upset at Locker for commenting that "in his estimation Poti's injury was the most significant to the team." I knew then that the organization was using the media to groom us for Poti's return and placement into the lineup at #4's expense. I'm going to use this ASG down-time to let the rage build, and then release it AS NEVER BEFORE when the banishment becomes official.

On the last thread, one astute poster recognized that Erskine can do anything Hannan can do (AND I'D OFFER MORE) but at a half/third of the price. Once again, we'll see a player acquired midseason by GMGM be incapable of playing himself out of the lineup. No doubt, Hannan/Poti/****55/Sloan should be battling it out for two spots on the backline.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

sgm: OK, I missed that, I didn't pick up on possibility of another contract rollback with a new CBA.

To be honest, I think the chance of that happening is near zero, absolute zero. Revenues are increasing and the cap is going up every year and now a new TV deal. Really, it's more likely salaries will continue to jump and that is why not to sign long term.

I stand by though they signed only one year because he is afraid like with Nabakov of being assigned where he doesn't want to play.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 27, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I thought at the end of the game they had Green and Carlson out there. Or at least really late in the game if not the last shift.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

sorry about the double post, not sure what's up w/error message but my bad nonetheless

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the double-post above, dang CI.

Re: Semin re-signing - if they didn't, where were the goals going to come from? Is Hanlon coaching this team again? Good defensive hockey is all well and good - although I'm still not convinced defensively the Caps are quite as stingy as BB makes them out to be, or if the goaltending deserves most of the credit.

It is fine to have one or two guys like Steckel in your lineup; guys while absolutely zero threat to score, even against the other team's worst defenders, or to even make them expend much energy doing it - but you can't have an entire "bottom 6" made up of guys like that. Who also aren't overly physical.

Not only are other teams right now able to almost exclusively focus on stopping Ovie and Backs - our other guys [with a couple notable exceptions, Hendo, Brads] don't even tire them out with a heavy forecheck. Staal looked fresh as a daisy after that recent game with Rags, despite playing almost 28 mins or whatever.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 27, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

In fairness to Semin and his playoff play, I think you need to mention all of his playoff perfomances to get an overall view of how he does in the playoffs.

Against the Rangers Semin scored 5 goals and had 3 assists.

In game 3, when the Caps were down 2-0 in the series and playing in New York, Semin had 2 goals(he had the GWG) and 1 assist. Semin scored the first two goals of the game in the 1st period which set the tone for that game(he assisted on the 3rd goal). A pretty awesome showing in a very important game.

Semin also scored a goal in game 5 with the Caps down 3-1 in the series.

Then in game 7, Semin scored the Caps 1st goal when they were losing 1-0. That changed how the game was played.

While he didn't score a goal against Pittsburgh, he did have 2 assists including 2 in game 6.

In the Philly series Semin had a goal and an assist in each of games 4, 5 and 6.

Semin had the GWG in game 5 with the Caps down 3-1 in the series.

With less than two minutes remaining in the 2nd period of game 6 with the Caps losing 2-1, Semin had the game tying goal.

He had 3 Goals and 5 Assist in the series against Philly.

Semin didn't do anything against Montreal and that deserves to be pointed out, but lets not forget what he did in the other playoff series'. Semin has come up big before in very important situations. Just because he didn't do so last year does not mean he won't this year.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"he did have 2 assists including 2 in game 6."

Sorry, Semin had 6 assists against the Pens not 2.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

----------

They did, right up until Carlson sent Green in alone on a sweet feed [and MG didn't finish / or hit Ovie/Knubes, right on the doorstep, but whatever], after which BB called timeout - so everyone was fresh - with roughly a minute left, still down 1-0.

The lineup he sent out was: Backs, Laich, Knubes, Gordo; with Ovie and Green on the points. I understand you need to win that draw, but Gordo?!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 27, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

quaoted from above....

"But when healthy, Semin is arguably unmatched in offensive creativity,"

this depends on who you are arguing with.

Posted by: doughless | January 27, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, am salivating at the possibility of Kuz being on a line with Sasha, while keeping Ovie-Backs together on another.

I realize this may be a minority view on this board, but I am willing to eat all my past criticism of GMGM if this comes to fruition [well, maybe not quite all, but a lot].

Semin reminds me of Kovalev in his early days with the Rangers, so talented -
and so completely misused by Colin Campbell. It took playing with the Pens in their heyday to transform Kovalev into a one-dimensional, puck black-hole - into a guy who used his linemates and moved the puck.

Now, I'm not saying Kuznetzov is close to Jagr or Mario, or even Ronnie Francis - but he is unbelievably talented, and the way he rallied his team around him [in rough circumstances] was remarkable.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 27, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I would not compare Kovalev to Semin. It didn't take Kovalev this long to turn into a more balanced player. His physicality has always been underrated. Remember that beaut of a hit on Darcy Tucker?

@sgm

I remember Semin's playoff performances very well and am not judging him on his lack of goal production at all. I think you understand what I'm saying here. I have never once ever bagged on Semin for not producing offensively in the playoffs.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this is a nit-pick, but I've always found it interesting how McPhee always refers to Semin as "the player." I don't recall whether he does that with respect to other guys, but then that's partly just because the stories about Semin's contract extensions tend to have more detail than stories about renewals for guys like Poti.

I wonder if part of the reason is that it helps from a GM's perspective to view the players impersonally in that way, given that the GM is the guy with the task of trading them. Sort of like viewing them as chattel, I suppose.

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 27, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Hadn't checked in all day with CI. I had a deep underlying hope that we'd have a big trade announced today for a 2C. Instead I find 4 posts about Semin re-signing. Oh well. I don't dislike the guy, he can play (except when he falls asleep for long periods or when he makes stupid stick penalties). Other than that he's great. So much for my 2C daydream...

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 27, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3 - you, like me, are largely in the Semin camp. Thanks for pointing out how he's in fact been one of the most important playoff performer the team has had. Throw out the first Pens series: man had a broken thumb and played with the pain in order to draw defenders, knowing he wouldn't be able to do much with the puck. That's taking it for the team, but he'll get no credit for that in these parts.
And I'll maintain that against Montreal last year he was our primary creative force. He created conditions for goals and if he himself didn't pot them, other players should have. He creates.

Semin's biggest problem is his social awkwardness: the less perspective among us get fixated on the English language thing and don't see what's right in front of them. This kind of social awkwardness is no one's fault - people are born that way. Often those people are brilliant and arguably Semin is a hockey genius in some ways. The question is given that kind of resource - you can say "enigmatic" if you wish - how do you make the most of it and stop wishing he were something else?

Posted by: RedLitYogi | January 27, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Fair point about Kovalev's physicality, which I always felt was underrated, he was a big, strong boy, unbelievable core strength - but it did take quite awhile for him to blossom, he'd sit for periods at a time with the $trangers [ok, Colin Campbell was his coach, to be fair].

In that book about the Rags cup win [94, right?] one of the players talks about how Mess basically took over the team for Keenan [who tried to sit Leetch - the eventual [and 1st non-Canadien] Conn Smythe winner that year]], because Keenan was losing his mind, and Messier put Kovs on a line with him and Graves. No dummy, that Mess!

And then when Kovalev got moved to the Penguins, the offensive talent around him was pretty crazy [not just Jags in his prime, but Mario, Francis, Straka, Stevens, Coffey, etc.]. I'm not saying Kovalev IS Semin, I'm just pointing out similarities - growing up, they were always the most talented guys around [so talented in fact, coaches let them get away with things most guys get drummed out of 'em pretty dang quick].

Take it from a longtime BoSox fan - patience, boyos! [And girls].

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 27, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

My question regarding the previous post rests with the notion that we have a lot of offensive weapons. Do we still?

I think we need some more to compete again. We don't need 4-5 goals a game offensive power but we need at least enough to get us 3 goals a game with our new defensive play.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 27, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 27, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 27, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan - Fair question. We don't need to blow teams out, but we need to score at least some.

Now, if our effing power play could get off the schneid, that'd be a start. So would, I don't know - making an adjustment [or two] to said power play.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 27, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I look at Hockeybuzz for humor purposes but they did have us as leading favorites for a good one...Jason Arnott.

They also have us interested in Giguere and Reghyr

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 27, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The question isn't whether or not Semin is a good player, it's whether he's the best use of $6.7M. For instance, last year, assuming these players would have signed here, but just an example, you could have signed Volchenkov and Koivu for that money.

The whole "Semin question" is merely nothing more than an examination of the opportunity cost of having him.

signed,
Herr Ekonomiks Doktor

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 27, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

ake it from a longtime BoSox fan - patience, boyos! [And girls].
-------------------------------

Does that mean none of us will live long enough to see them win the Cup?

Gee thanks!!!

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

--------------------

kinda like how Homer refers to Bart as "the boy"

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

Well at least he doesn't refer to him as a she like Bill Parcells used to with Terry Glen.

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how McPhee refers to his family?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 27, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

boo to Arnott

yes to regehr. but not YAY

"Semin's biggest problem is his social awkwardness"

I wouldn't say that. I'd say thats just the coup de grace

but seriously, lets get off this notion that the core issue for anti-Seminators is his social graces or lack thereof. Its pretty far down the list Red. For me it doesn't even crack the list. He can keep talkin Russian the rest of his life and not give a single interview. Doesn't bother me one bit. I'm only concerned with his play between whistles. And sometimes post-whistle.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I believe when Semin does well, it's more unexpected than expected. But others choose to focus on the mistakes he makes. I find it interesting that those who choose to do so willfully ignore anything he does right. Sorry, but I watch a game, sh*t about it, whether I'm happy or disappointed by the result, and then I move on. Some, blessed with the gift of total recall of one-sided drivel, decide to use that tidbit of useless information and generalize the player, in this case, Semin, and make that the only game play they'll ever recognize and nothing else. Kudos, to that poster. If you could only hear the number of times people roll their eyes at you. It'd be deafening. But then again, apart from this message board, I highly doubt anyone cares what you have to say. Poor. You.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 27, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how McPhee refers to his family?

Posted by: tominsocal1

i have on good sources that he refers to his wife as

"the best available on the market at the time. She was identified as his top target and by jove he got her!"

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

so cstanton1: how is Semin a non play-off performer when his points per game average in the play-offs is .857 (.86 rounded up). In the regular season he is @ .915 (.92 rounded up) thats 75pts in a 82 game schedule, not bad for your 2nd line winger. I wouldnt call him a non play-off performer or streaky. He is streaky in terms of scoring goals NOT points. I dont care if he scores them sets them up or a combo of the two (which he does). When Semin plays he puts up points & thats fact!!

Posted by: brandon5272lee | January 27, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

come on lefty. I know you have a hockey-related post in you somewhere.

Analyze Semin's game. You're such a fan. You should be able to avoid such basic generalities. Make a case for him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

For the record, Semin hasn't been taking too many penalties this season, but somehow people will continue to refer to his old tendencies like they're still relevant this season. He hasn't been taking those penalties this season, so I think he deserves to get credit for that.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 27, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

His effort is streaky. Multiple playoff shifts with either a negligible or a negative impact.

That's about the sum of why I feel the way I do about him. Don't ask me any more. Its making me nauseous having to discuss him like this.

I wonder if the next GM will be happy or sad having to deal with Semin next year. At least McPhee didn't saddle this team for 2 or more yrs of the little mermaid.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Left
Maybe his penalties are down, but he does tend to take whacks at guys if they harass him in the offensive zone. Then the ref sees him and he gets the 2 minutes. Not smart penalties to take.
But don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him score 2 goals a game the rest of the season and see the crowd full of Semin jerseys. If somebody doesn't start producing on a regular basis this season may be lost.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 27, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

This is Semin's last real chance to make himself valuable to other teams...hopefully a 1 yr. deal will provide him plenty of incentive to produce in the playoffs and next season.

I think a big reason he tailed off so dramatically is b/c of injury. I mean I knew he wouldn't stay hot all season, but I think were he healthy, he would have still been producing.

Posted by: capscoach | January 27, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I don't much care to restate what others have more than capably dissected and explained to you, cstanton1. But, ignore it as you will. Semin is human. I don't know anyone who is constantly on point when it comes to playing. He has bad days and he has good days. Yeah, it sucks when he's not scoring or going up and down the ice the way you want him to. You'll want to ignore though that the way he skates up and down the ice, on a number of occasions, he's actually made a play or scored a goal. But for whatever reason, you'll choose to dismantle any credit due to any player because it makes for good "discussion" or because "this is a message board".

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 27, 2011 6:28 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------

No, it isn't. Do you really think he wouldn't get multiple lucrative long-term offers if he went on the open market right now?

All this one-year thing tells me is he wants to stay here and make the big bucks playing for this team.

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Why would anyone think this is Semin's "last chance" to prove himself valuable?

He's 27. He could have an off-year next year. Leave the Caps then for 2012-13 by signing one-year somewhere else. Have a monster year and get a large deal.

He has anytime in the next 6-7 years to prove he's worth a big payday.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 27, 2011 6:51 PM | Report abuse

@CSTANTON
Do you ever get tired of spewing so much garbage?

"... I don't see many teams jumping at paying a headcase and non-playoff performer that type of salary."

Headcase? Is this from a personal relationship with the guy? or just another generality for things you don't know?

Don't see many teams doing something? Are you under the impression you are in the official loop of what these teams business are? LOL. Talking about a headcase.

"... o yeah, apparently he plays both ends of the ice or something. I'd be happy if he played one end of the ice. Simply skating backwards to intercept a pass and looking flashy while doing it doesn't equate to "playing both ends of the ice". There's all kinds of ice between, around, to the left, the right. It ain't just skatin north and skatin south."

Well, lets see, he plays both ends of the ice, he is used on penalty kills, led the team in goals while healthy, probably has more takeaways than giveaways, and would probably use your head as bongos if you dare to provoke him, but he is not good enough because he does not goes from side to side and over the ice like little leaguers chasing the puck instead of playing correct hockey.

Your advice to Vermontcaps - something about smoking something - must come from experience and, of course, will explain the delusional way that you see things.

LOL. To quote you: What a headcase.

Posted by: hock1 | January 27, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't like it at all and not specifically because I have much of an issue with Semin. It's just way too much to invest in two wings given the hard cap. I strongly believe in building up the middle. Spending roughly 25% of your cap space on a couple of wings, no matter who they are, doesn't seem wise. Keep Ovechkin or Semin, not both. Since there is no way they even consider trading Ovechkin (right or wrong as that may be)...

Having said that, I'll wait to see what goes down before the trade deadline. Given that it's McPhee though, I'm not optimistic at all.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 27, 2011 7:15 PM | Report abuse

@chriscaps & capscoach

I do think the injuries are a good part of the reason's Semin's productivity tailed off in Dec. He had a nagging problem that was documented in late Nov (right before Blues game). He got sick just before the Avs game and then in the very next game (Rangers game), he got hurt and missed 3 games. Don't know if it was related to the nagging injury or was a new ailment but it was lower body. He very likely came back too soon given that he was doubtful only one day earlier. He came back in the Devils game since there were no other bodies available, by my calculations, as Fehr was out of town for a funeral and Hendricks had gotten hurt/sick that very morning. So Sasha was likely playing out of desperation.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 27, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

The team was clearly worried he would walk for nothing, so was I. Now he can't, so it's good. I would still like to move him, however, that is unlikely.

8-19-?
28-?-22
21-90-16
10-26-25

We fill those two spots, we have a chance at the cup.

Posted by: underpants2 | January 27, 2011 7:35 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

I've checked out both articles you've posted and wasn't able to finish reading either of them.....ughh, painful. You really enjoy reading that stuff?

That aside, what was the point of the "Confessions of..." article? Were you suggesting that capscoach isn't as old as she claims to be, and thus in some way cstanton is afflicted with pedophelia?? Because if that's the case, you'd have to answer the bell and drop the mitts if cstant came calling....

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 7:39 PM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi

Good post on Semin's main problem being social awkwardness. And maybe the failure to return the first year after the lockout contributed as well.

But glad he's back for another year. (Yes, I'm in the Semin camp.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 27, 2011 7:57 PM | Report abuse

LOL. To quote you: What a headcase.

Posted by: hock1

drivel, all drivel

anyway, i didn't mean to insult your boyfriend. I just broke it down the way i see it. He's a headcase, overhyped, and I wouldn't consider him a vital cog in the machine. Despite his stats. Same goes for your other boyfriend Schultzie. They're both players that specifically fit into what the Caps look for more than some of the other teams who have enjoyed more success and understand how to really evaluate players instead of strictly seeing them as point producers or the +/-

@lefty

so you can't even regurgitate what others have so "capably" explained to me? I'm still anxiously awaiting some hockey talk from you. Barring that, you're still a lollipop svckin cheerleader.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1 | January 27, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Leave cstanton alone, thank you very much! Believe me, I'm gonna need something much stronger than mellow marijuana when BB inexplicably banishes THE 2ND TOUGHEST, HARD-NOSED DMAN TO COME OUR WAY IN 20 YEARS!!

If you read these posts carefully, hock1, you'll soon discover that cstanton1 is none other than Pierre LaCroix, a wiley (and available, I believe) ex-gm who knows what it takes to win, and he's angling to replace our inept GMGM.

On a sidenote, I think sgm3 is code for Senators General Manager (and the 3 is just to throw people off the track), and he's really Bryan Murray trying to muscle in on his old job.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, there's the old cstant comin' back.

Implicit gay-bashing here we come - just like on the 8th grade playground.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | January 27, 2011 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, Pierre - er CStanton - is going to have a wait. Why do I say that? I'll give you three reasons -

1. Alzner and Carlson
2. Varlamov, Neuvirth, and Holtby
3. Kuznetsov, Orlov, and Eakin.

Or is that 8 reasons? Anyway, that is a pretty steady stream of talent that will be working at close to minimum wage for several years. Owners like that, I suspect.

Posted by: zmega | January 27, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Not that it needs pointing out, but this is the 2nd time recently that we've responded to the same post, but didn't quote/paste any of the same words (I hadn't seen either of your posts)....talk about a nice one-two punch! I think that only proves great hockey minds think alike

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

The reason I say this is Semin's "last chance" is b/c other teams have seen how streaky he is, and what a head case he can be. The Montreal series doesn't help his case.

I for one think he is a remarkable player. I think he has the potential to be worth a multi-year deal at upwards of 7 mil per...but as of now...no team (unless they were stupid) would go for that. He can make 5-6 mil for a 3-5 yr. deal now...he is capable of more.

Posted by: capscoach | January 27, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Re the lack of scoring: I remember Jagr used to bank it (the puck) in goal off other people's skates. He did this by design, he was that skilled. Since opposing teams like the collapsing defense as a way to prevent the Caps scoring I would like to see the Caps shooters, when appropriate, wrist the puck along the ice into the packed crease to see if they can achieve the same result. I realize it's not high percentage but it's almost impossible for a goalie to stop. The shots they are currently taking are being blocked too easily.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 27, 2011 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I wonder, what with Savard's possible career-ending concussion, if the B's would entertain the thought of Lucic for Semin to help address their scoring woes....

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 9:08 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------

Well let's see, he's making $6M this year and will be making $6.7M next year, that's $6.35M/year.

That's not $7M/year but it's pretty close. So the Caps are being stupid then, right??

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, there's the old cstant comin' back.

Implicit gay-bashing here we come - just like on the 8th grade playground.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp

implicit gay-bashing? weak! I merely implied he was gay. That's not necessarily the same as gay-bashing. I'm actually a big proponent of gay rights. Esp hot lipstick lesbians.

Stevie, you like to lurk too don't you. All the lurkers..maybe its you guys who don't have a life. Spit it or quit it.

as for lefty the noob - if I categorically dismissed Semin's play no matter what he did, I wouldn't give him credit for anything. And i distinctly recall giving him credit for his play in certain games and certain series. Not the whole series of course, he's incapable of playing hard for an entire series. But definitely portions of it. His play and effort in 3 of the 7 games v Philly was superb. Its not easy going into Philly and playing like you have a chip on your shoulder. And he led the way.

But for Semin to usually play all out, it takes some kind of transgression against him. He may flip his lid and take some ill-advised penalties along the way, but he's also engaged on every shift. Unfortunately its not always the case. After Orpik ran him in the Pens series, Semin played more timidly. You never know what level of effort you'll get from him. And he pulls down too much prominent ice time to simply p_ss away shift after shift. This myth that he was playing ballz out hockey from the get-go in the Habs series..that makes me laugh. He mailed in his efforts in the beginning of the series. He wasn't ready to play, he wasn't ready to commit. And I recall mentioning that aspect of his play when the series started. THis isn't hindsight talking.

He fooled some of you with his play towards the end of the series. But I'm not ready to give him credit for trying to salvage a p_sspoor effort to start the series just bc he amped it up at the end.

I'll be very happy when he's no longer a Capital. Unless he somehow changes the ebbs and flows of his game and gives a more reliable dependable effort. And I could care less how many shots he takes. That doesn't define his value to the team.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega

I think after the Jagr fiasco, Ted has relied on McPhee for two things. To keep his payroll under control and help bring in the noobie fans with the high flying offensive style (no offense to longterm fans who may also enjoy that style).

So in that sense, Ted isn't anywhere close to canning GM. They'll prolly go thru at least 1 more coach before that happens. Maybe 2 more.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 9:26 PM | Report abuse

@underpants

I would go with:

8-19-25
28-?-16
21-39-22(checking line, faces opposing teams top line)
26-90-10(or 83) (energy line)

If everyone is healthy, I see only one spot that is needed to be filled. Yes, I would like to have Jarome Iginla be the #1 RW, but I am trying to be realistic in what to expect.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 9:30 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

You do realize that Semin played that series against the Pens with a broken thumb in which it had to be frozen before games so he could play. That's why his shot went away during that series, he couldn't grip the stick well enough to snap it. He still ended up with 6 assists.

Also, Semin's play on the PK was great last year. Over the entire season he was only on the ice for 3 goals against but was also on the ice for 3 SH goals. So he BROKE EVEN while on the PK. That is outstanding. It is even more outstanding considering how bad the Caps PK was last year whenever Semin was not on the ice.

Semin also is one of the best in the league at getting takeaways in the neutral zone. This leads to multiple scoring opportunities.

No, Semin doesn't hit. But he does everything else very well. If he hit would he be even better? Of course, but because he doesn't hit doesn't make him bad. Datsuk doesn't hit. Fedorov never hit(he played great D but he never hit anybody).

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, it was tmac who said the Caps are investing too much in two wingers. I somewhat disagree. Ovechkin, when on, is unique. He's a battering ram. He's Mark Messier at LW instead of C. Now, if we had two pure snipers like Semin, I would agree with tmac.

Yes, capscoach, Semin can be worth more, but he has to go off like Gaborik and become #1 sniper on a team that doesn't have one. One the Caps, the best he can be is Fiddle #2C (with Backie and Green being the other second fiddles).

I think we can win the Cup with Semin on the team. Replace Poti and Perreault say and add Umberger and a griding D and you can win the Cup with Semin on the team.

I'm really starting to question the value of Laich. OK, if he signs for like $3M, and her's part of a true checking line, that's fine. But it sure would be nicer to pay him $4M because he got his offensive game back. Is this all we'll ever get from Brooks Laich? I thought he would step it up to a Hartnell level of game, but maybe I was expecting too much.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 27, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

Laich should not get more than $2.5M/yr and that is probably too much.

I know he will get above $3M/yr but it will be a waste of money. He is a 3rd line winger, a very good 3rd line winger, but a 3rd line winger at that. 3rd line wingers are not worth $3M/yr in the salary cap era.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 27, 2011 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Datsuk doesn't hit

---sgm--

says you. And you're wrong. I'll say this as respectfully as i possibly can. Please don't make such outlandish comments because you don't know what the heck you're talking about. Datsyuk is much more engaged in high traffic areas and is more than willing to throw big hits during the course of a game. I'm sure if you go online and type in "Datsyuk hit" it will open your eyes. Datsyuk isn't Clutterbuck but he's a long way from Semin.

and Semin CAN hit even though he looks awkward doing it, he just chooses not to. So he chooses to play below his potential. As long as he scores goals, he blows off many other parts of his game that he could improve. And he doesn't have to even hit like Datsyuk. All he has to do is forecheck and get his body on someone else when it makes sense to do so. He doesn't have to ram the guy hard, just ENGAGE the player and force him to deal with an onrushing player. Semin instead will skate by and try and use his stick. A very low% play.

A guy like Hendricks is all he can be. He gets every bit of ability out of his body. Semin, not so much.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

btw, Fedorov DID hit. And he played an aggressive brand of hockey where he would use his stick or his body to engage other players. Don't you remember even at the end of his career when he came to the Caps, he was still showing signs of that kind of game. He took a beeline to the opposition and put pressure on them and a lot of that pressure came from his speed and his willingness to use his body. That was at the end of his career, and he was still more physical and engaged along the boards than Semin's ever been.

I don't know where you research your info, but its obviously not from watching with your eyes. I'm a big Fedorov fan and I love the way he played hockey. There is no way on god's green earth i'd be a fan of his if he didn't play a certain way.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Great news. Semin is the definition of an underrated player because while everyone loves to trash him for some reason he makes a huge difference when he plays. Just look at how toothless we've been since his injury.

People who trash him either don't understand much about hockey or have some kind of xenophobic hate for Russians. Semin is without any doubt one of the top players in the world. Him not working hard or being inconsistent is a myth too. You can't be a PPG player in the NHL and be lazy. If you can you are truly an amazing talent because you're putting up more points than 90% of the players in the league supposedly without trying.

His so called selfish penalties are a result of his constant defensive work. He's one of the top players in the league when it comes to takeaways. Yes, once in a while that will result in a stick penalty, but how many times does his work result in gaining possession & Caps scoring? Once again these are things people who don't understand hockey don't get.

As far as him not showing up in last year's playoff once again that's a ridiculous myth. Sometimes the puck doesn't go in, but it wasn't for lack of trying. He led all players in the NHL in shots in the first round & was by far our best player.

On another note, can someone explain to me how turning our team in the Minnesota Wild is gonna make us a better playoff team? If we keep persisting with this ridiculous trap system I'm gonna have to stick to just the highlights because I can't watch this crap. And I'm sick of hearing cliche "offense will come". No it won't, not as long as we play the Glenn Hanlon style which absolutely doesn't suit us. The quicker this experiment ends the better. Maybe people like cstanton1 love this (it's exactly what they wanted), but I want us get back to playing Boudreau style, one that allowed us to dominate the league instead of making every team look like a defensive juggernaut.

Posted by: ranndino | January 27, 2011 10:04 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------------

You call losing 3 outta 4 playoff series in 3 years dominating the league??

Posted by: joek443 | January 27, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal

lol, you were smokin out of Vermont's stash!

Laich never displayed any real edge to his game prior to his "awakening" last yr. That's when he started grinding a little more. I think the first time he got into a scrap was his scrap with Ruutu a few yrs ago but in reality his regular play wasn't gritty at all. Hartnell was a hardnosed player all the way thru juniors. Its very rare for a player to become that aggressive unless they displayed that kind of streak all thru their pre-nhl career.

That being said, a guy like Krys Barch really changed his game around in order to make the nhl. When the Caps drafted him he was considered a Laich type of player. He fought his way out of the ECHL and decided to become as tough as he possibly could. That's how he made it to the nhl. He's not even a heavy but he has decided he'll fight whoever he can and do whatever it takes to stay in this league.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------------

another dumb and inaccurate comment that completely mischaracterizes the Semin dislike.

ever heard of Ovechkin? Ok good. now go back to the drawing board and restate your argument. Because last time I checked, the Seminhaters don't have a history of trashing Ovechkin.

ever heard of Volchenkov? good. now try and fit him into your supposition of xenophobia.

Fancy words but no substance. I can give you dozens of examples of Euros and Russians specifically who WE have no problem with.

IT HAS TO DO WITH HIS PLAY. I know its harder to defend that. So much easier to base your argument on some type of euro bias.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 10:17 PM | Report abuse

You call losing 3 outta 4 playoff series in 3 years dominating the league??

Posted by: joek443

of course it is. Everyone's so enthralled with our high flyin run and gunners!

I'm surprised teams even show up to play us. That takes some real guts.

i mean, we had like..5 bad days. And a hot goalie to face. Pure bad luck.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 10:20 PM | Report abuse

lol, you were smokin out of Vermont's stash!

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 27, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey, be kind, Bud!! Barch is kinda like a bigger version of Bradley; he's much maligned, but I like him

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 11:01 PM | Report abuse

speaking of Barch, his battles with May at the end of his career were respectable to say the least. I think I recall reading how their bouts forged a friendship off the ice...RESPECT!

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 11:09 PM | Report abuse

And Sutherby appears to be playing well in Big D. I forgot all about him taking it to Weiss a few years back, and I think Horton got spanked too. 2 or 3 other fights that game, score was like 7-2 or something....that was a game! Can we find Darcy Verot? (Konopka before Konopka....I swear I saw glimpses of Hunter in Verot's game)

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 27, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Some actual facts (rather than usual horsecrap) about Semin:

1. McPhee's analysis is 100% correct. Semin's "disappearing act" in last year's playoffs is a myth. To believe it you had either not actually watch the games & base your whole opinion on point stats or not know a thing about hockey. He was one of the best players not just on the Caps but across the NHL in the first round registering 44 shots on goal in 7 games & was a dominant player on the ice, even more so than Ovie. The shots didn't go in because Halak was channelling Roy / Hasek, but it certainly wasn't for a lack of effort. Semin played great & created a boatload of scoring chances.

2. People pick & choose to find fault with Semin. He's a great playoff player, in fact. 24 pts in 28 games even despite last year's 2 points in 7 games (& as I said above not for lack of effort). The season before last he had 14 points in 14 playoff games, including 5 goals.

3. It's the usual anti-Russian bias. Semin is called "enigmatic" only because he's Russian. Facts show otherwise. If he really is lazy & streaky yet still a PPG NHLer (including playoffs!) he must be the next Gretzky. The majority of NHLers have to bust their ass just to hover at less than half a point per game.

Posted by: ranndino | January 27, 2011 11:56 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton01 - despite the heated nature of this debate, you have to admit the Semin supporters have some good points - guy must be damn good to get a point per game in this league while playing half-assed. He's also one of the better defensive forwards on our teams (part of our problem has always been that our shutdown lines don't shut much down...).

@tominsocal - It's a one year deal: the argument that the money could be used more wisely doesn't take into account that almost all free agents are getting absurd years on their deals, with five being a minimum. Hopefully we get Semin for two more years and maybe by then we have another winger to play on that number 2 line with Nicky.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | January 28, 2011 12:15 AM | Report abuse

@ranndino - I'm with you on the Kuznetsov-Semin thing. Kuz is NOT going to be called enigmatic because he's got a dominant personality (as evidenced by his performance at the WJC). The kid exudes ambition and confidence and could be the best player on the team within three years. (Now, can we sign him after three friggin' years??)

Posted by: RedLitYogi | January 28, 2011 12:19 AM | Report abuse

semin can be one of the most enjoyable players to watch on the ice.
and
semin can be one of the most frustrating players to watch on the ice.
i'm glad they have him for another year.

some will never care for semin because he:
* refused to stay in NA and play in the AHL
* chooses not to learn/speak english
* plays a soft 'euro' style

"The majority of NHLers have to bust their ass just to hover at less than half a point per game."

Posted by: ranndino | January 27, 2011 11:56 PM

the majority do have bust their ass. semin does twice what they do with 1/2 to 3/4 of the effort.
this is where i believe cstanton1 doesn't care for semin. if semin had the drive to be the best player on the ice like other elite players in the league - those players would be looking up the stats leaderboard at him.
this is his major flaw - you sometimes get the semin that can dominate and other times the semin that appears not to care at all. hence the enigmatic label.
i'll repeat just to be clear - i'm glad they have him for another year.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 28, 2011 12:29 AM | Report abuse

I really do not like when hockey "anaylsts" cite to Semin's no goals vs. the Pens.

They ignore the fact Semin played that series against the Pens with a broken thumb in which it had to be frozen before games so he could play.

Yet, he still ended up with 6 assists.

People then ignore how important some of his playoff goals were:

Semin also scored a goal in game 5 with the Caps down 3-1 in the series.

In the Philly series Semin had 1 Goal and 1 Assist in EACH of games 4, 5 and 6.

Semin had the GWG in game 5 with the Caps down 3-1 in the series.

He had 3 Goals and 5 Assist in the series against Philly. Semin performance in games 5 and 6(along with Ovie's) were the main reason there even was a game 7 in that series.

I also find it funny that Semin is enigmatic in every game he doesn't score goals.

If you look at Sidney Crosby in 2 of his last 3 playoff series he has only scored 1 goal and I think 2 assists throughout the entire series. (The SCF against Detroit and the series against Montreal) Those both went 7 also.

In the 4 playoff series' Semin has played in, he has scored less than 6 points in only one. Yet Crosby has scored only 3 points in two of his last 3 playoff series'.

This isn't meant as a rip on Crosby and I am not saying Semin is anywhere near the player Crosby is. But if Crosby performs worse in the playoffs over his past 4 series' than Semin has over his past 4, somehow Semin is enigmatic and yet Crosby is great.

I think Semin is not looked upon fairly. People have already marked his as "enigmatic" and they will look for anything to back that up.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 28, 2011 12:35 AM | Report abuse

ranndino: I'm not a Semin basher. I have said I'd trade him, but to get a Phaneuf or top center, but I also say we can win it with him.

You are citing his Playoff stats. Yes, 08 and 09 he did well overall. Very well. Last year? Open to debate. 44 SOG, is that the number? OK, but --- IIRC, he also missed (like Flash) several wide open nets. So, 44 SOG that were worthless in the end. Had he or Flash OR ANYONE hit on just one or two of those open nets, and if the power play that he anchored done better than 1 for 33, it's a different series.

Now it's 52 games into the new season and, to be honest, almost every game looks like the games in the Montreal series only with even less effort and even poorer results.

Every goalie looks like Jacques Plante, only with a mask. Every team defensively looks the Devils in their heyday under Lemaire. And every Caps forward coming off the ice looks tired and beaten as Y.A. Title in that famous photo from 1964.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 28, 2011 1:09 AM | Report abuse

People can watch Pavel Datsyuk in action during the two recent Cups series he was in on hulu.com repeatedly and surely before the 5th rewatch, notice that he is willing to hit people. You don't need stats when you have tape. You don't get nominated for the best defensive forward trophy without the willingness to lay your body on the line.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | January 28, 2011 2:32 AM | Report abuse

And if you want to play with stats, Datsyuk had 89 recorded hits compared to Semin's 30 in 2009-2010. The Craps can keep Semin. He always hurts them from time to time somewhere.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | January 28, 2011 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega | January 28, 2011 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

you really are an a-hole sometimes! no thats not what I meant...I said he would be worth upwards of 7 mil for a MULTI-YEAR deal. 1 year contracts are almost always more lucrative b/c they are risky to the player and less risky to the org.

you don't have to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Posted by: capscoach | January 28, 2011 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Just started a capitals thread that has potential on the-mainboard.com....Looking to get some people off of the WP blog forum and onto the new thread at TMB. Register and lets build a mega-thread over there....

Posted by: The850 | January 28, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

zmega: Ty for the Quintin Laing article. I sure he is pleased to get another chance.
I love watching Semin when he is on his game. He is a highlight reel player. However, when he is off, his whole game suffers. Semin needs a good coach to keep him in line (BB isn't it). He can play defense, that is why he gets PK time. I would take Datsyuk (32 years old) for Semin in second. Datsyuk is an excellent 2-way hockey player & a center. Semin is a better scorer.
I'm just hoping that Semin is healthy & comes back in early season form. This would be the best possible kick-start to the Caps offense.

Posted by: chriscaps | January 28, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse