Posted at 11:23 AM ET, 12/15/2010

Varlamov to start, Semin questionable against Ducks

By Katie Carrera

Semyon Varlamov was the first goaltender off the ice for the Capitals this morning and will get the start tonight at Verizon Center against the Anaheim Ducks. Coach Bruce Boudreau wants to give Varlamov a chance to regain some of his confidence and get back on the horse, so to speak, after Sunday's 7-0 loss to the Rangers.

"I believe in Varly," Boudreau said. "We all have bad games. I pulled him in this morning and I told him I believe in him. I believe in both of them and I believe they're both really good young goalies that are going to be two of the best in the NHL for years to come.

"He had a bad game, what young goalies just have to do is shake it off. Not let one goal bother you or whatever, just get ready to play."

Neither Alex Ovechkin nor Alexander Semin skated this morning, and while Boudreau said the former is fine, the latter is questionable for tonight's contest. Forwards Marcus Johansson and D.J. King along with Tyler Sloan took part in extra work this morning, so it looks like they won't be in the mix against Anaheim.

Given who is healthy and who was on the ice skating late with the Capitals' assistant coaches, it appears as though both Andrew Gordon and Jay Beagle will get in the game and likely skate on a line with Matt Hendricks.

By Katie Carrera  | December 15, 2010; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  Alexander Semin, Anaheim Ducks, Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaVar Arrington still loves the Caps
Next: HBO's '24/7' catches Caps at a low point

Comments

Can't believe Ovi is skipping practice again and Boudreau is fine with it. Wonder why we can't win a game. I'm tired of hearing about Ovi not practicing. We need a new coach and a new captain. Not saying I want to get rid of Ovi, but maybe somebody else should be leading the team.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | December 15, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@CAPSHOCKEY2

It's not a practice! It is a morning skate and lots of players don't use them...some teams are even considering not having them! Knuble NEVER goes to them b/c he says they don't help him get ready. They aren't runnig drills or anything...it is just a type of warm up that helps some and is useless to others...quite frankly, rest is probably a better idea for these guys with all the sickness going around.

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Really? @ CAPSHOCKEY2.

Wow, your team hits a little rough patch and you're all, "lets throw the baby out with the bath water?" Get a grip. If they were 10 points out of a playoff spot, that's another thing. But they are still in good position.

Keep the faith.

Posted by: buzcajun | December 15, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I think the argument is that right now is the time where you captain should be showing up for every "optional" everything, whether he thinks its very helpful or not. It demonstrates commitment and drive during a time where a lot of people feel that might be lacking for some people on this team. The Captain is the person who should be leading by example on this front.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with either of you, but I just wanted to elucidate it a little.

OV skipping that "optional" practice during the Habs series after they started choking hard still sticks in my craw a little bit, though.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

While I agree that the Caps are going to be fine and Ovie is as exceptional a franchise player as ever, I do believe that going to all optional practices and morning skates is one of the team captain's unspoken responsibilities.

Posted by: nicko | December 15, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Knuble was there this morning and is there quite a bit actually. Does he take his days yes but to say NEVER is there, sorry that is not correct.

Posted by: ThePat | December 15, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Agree, the Captain should be on the ice unless he is injured....period! This BS of him not setting the example needs to cease.

Posted by: PhilR | December 15, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Just read Katie's article about other teams' successful strategies for overcoming Caps' strengths.

At bottom was ad for anti-depressant medication.

Posted by: OccasionalCritic | December 15, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

just because OV is not on the ice does not mean he is not at the rink for any pregame meetings, and it is not a practice, it's a pre game skate, too totally different animals..it is more important to be at the off ice meetings than it is to be on th eice for a pre game skate around...

Posted by: boomer44 | December 15, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

OVIE OVIE OVIE...

Why should he skate. He has tons of TV commercials to shoot, the HBO special revolves around him...

Just somebody tell him games are not OPTIONAL skates...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | December 15, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach (repost from last thread)

I won't ever forgive BB, and I'll always remind people of his favoritism and it just so happens that #4 is the player I've been using as an example. That you didn't interpret BB's remarks as a demotion and slight to Erskine, well, I don't know how you couldn't (unless you're nothing more than an apologist, excuser, and enabler....didn't someone once post that you're a public school teacher? hmmmmm, maybe that's why)

Anyway, #4 was my mission and whole reason for posting here. I've accomplished my goal with him, but now it's about BB, DJK, and the make-up of the team. I will be relentless, uncompromising, and sounding like a broken record until the organization puts together a team worthy of the Cup.

Wish I could say I was excited for the game tonight....

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

It's not even a practice, it's a morning skate. Plenty of players and plenty of captains around the league don't utilize them. It's all about whether or not it helps you to get ready for the game.

Posted by: JB-RockTheRed | December 15, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

@CapsCoach

I'm glad you're so positive, but you're also blind. This team lacks leadership from it's coach and captain.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | December 15, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2

No not blind...I see the issues just as clearly as you do...I just don't feel like living my life in a constant state of frustration and anger. I also will support BB as long as he is coach, and when he is gone I will support the new coach.

@ThePat
my bad...when Knuble first came over he said he didn't do morning skates with Philly...guess as he got older he now needs that morning warm up.

As I said...With so many players injured and sick it is probably better for them to rest.

Your arguments about practices have merit...I would like to see ovie take more optional practices (though I still think that management would deal with it if it were really that important)
but morning skates might do more harm than good for him, and I trust the Caps to make that call.

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone ever watch that episode of the Office, where Michael crashed Jim's house party while their co-workers were singing karaoke? How awkward it was that Michael was there and everyone was like what's he doing here? Yeah, that's all the naysayers. If the Capitals ability to bounce back from these losses isn't worth your time and energy to wait for, please exit the building. Give your seat to someone who really cares and burn your jersey.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | December 15, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Also...you people have been on ovie's case about optional practices AND morning skates since before he was captain.

I am not saying a captains job is not important...it is, but some of you act like they are the end all be all of a team...not true. And you can be a leader without the C.

I don't think ovie should have gotten the C, but I don't think him wearing it has any detrimental affect on them either.

I would have gone with Knuble for C, or possibly Brads.

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Ovi should be out there for the morning skate. NO excuses. His team has lost 6 in a row. He should be hungry to not make it 7. I can understand not going to a morning skate when your team is winning, or even if you have only lost maybe 3 in a row or something. Not the case here. He should be out there.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | December 15, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice if the Caps could win one at home and end this streak. Both Philly and Pittsburgh went through terrible stretches last season. Let's rock the red tonight.

Posted by: hersheykid | December 15, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan

Amen!

even if they are right, what good is it to not believe in your team...esp. when you have no control to change it. there are TONS of changes I would love to see, but it is complicated and there is a reason I am not employed by the NHL

And there is a reason all of you are not employed by the NHL! Express your ideas, but stop kidding yourself that you could do a better job than BB or GMGM or that all these changes that you want could all have happened with the right GM. Some of course, but the complexities of building a team, drafting, coaching, and trading are too complicated to say "he just should have done _____"

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@Capshockey2 & SuperZ - what more can OV do to show you leadership? Pretty sure OV's done everything in his power to get this team goin but they're not responding.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 15, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, it starts with Ovie. Here's an excellent article on the Ovejtkin blog: http://alexovetjkin.blogspot.com/search/label/Ovechkin%27s%20weight

His weight gain has led to a loss of explosiveness. Boy needs to lose a few pounds. Also, Ovie is by the most powerful person in the organization (by virtue of his contract and PR) and he should bear the responsibility when things go wrong. I don't think there's much BB can do to get him going - it's more something Ovie has to work out. I'm inclined to think that it's not BB that has lost the team, but Ovie, and he needs to get them back also. I just sense some Ovie-fatigue on the parts of Backs and others. My two cents...
Also, I think he can get it back...but he's the one who bears most responsibility right now...I believe in Ovie and I think he'll work it out, but right now, bottom line, imho, it's mostly his thing right now.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 15, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@CapsCoach

I disagree with you about Ovi wearing the C. He is a great player, but I really don't think he should be the Captain. Your best player doesn't need to be your Captain, see Chris Clark.

I think Knuble is too new to give him the C. My vote went to Brooks Laich when they were discussing it, and I wouldn't mind if they took it away from Ovi and gave it to Laich. San Jose did that when Marleau wasn't performing and it worked wonders. Might be something to consider if the slide continues.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | December 15, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SuperZ3383

If a morning skate is not helpful to you than you are doing more harm than good by showing up tp please a couple of angry and bitter fans!!!! It is a WARM UP NOT A PRACTICE!!!! most people feel they are useless! STOP PRETENDING LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR THIS GUY!!!! IF THE COACHES THOUGHT HE NEEDED TO BE THERE THAN THEY WOULD TELL HIM TO COME...AND HE WOULD!

You people are not satisfied no matter what...grow up.

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

so let me get this straight, basically BB would rather dress Jay Beagle than DJK?

Posted by: _stevo | December 15, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

The Caps have PEN15 envy for the Pens, and since Crosby is their Captain, the Caps had to make Ovi their Captain. I never liked the move from day one. Wearing a C is quite the responsibility, and Ovi is not ready for it yet. Yes, there are other leaders in that locker room without the C on. But, he is the Captain, and some of the younger guys look to him before the other leaders.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | December 15, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Give your seat to someone who really cares and burn your jersey.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | December 15, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Are you suggesting that we all just shut-up and trust that BB and GMGM have everything under control and all will be fine? We "don't really care"? Ahh, another nouveau-riche fan who has yet to suffer decades of disappointment. Could you please explain why we shouldn't be critical of the Caps, because I'd sure like to get in a better frame of mind....

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@CapsCoach

Posted by: VarlyisNarly

Wait...what do you disagree with b/c I also said Ovie shouldn't have gotten the C.

I think Laich is a great guy! (he is the cap I most want to date) but I am not sure he is a leader...he is also playing very badly right now.

As for Knuble...he may be new, but he is a mature adult, has playoff experience, and is respected by the team.

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

something else - isn't it funny that the Flyers are having so much success moving in the opposite direction from the Caps? We're trying to be more defense oriented, and the Flyers, with the prominent roles of Zherdev, Lieno, Matt Carle, and Briere are moving towards a more offensive style. The Caps identity last year was closer to who they are, for better or worse. You can't win trying to be something else...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 15, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

is my typing style rubbing OFF ON YOU? ;)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

what good does it do you to be so critical? Will it help the team...no...will it cause stress in your life...probably...will it raise your BP...most likely.

Do happy people live longer than bitter/angry people...YES!!! :)

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

capscoach:
I see where you are coming from. But, I also think that right now Ovi should be ALL about hockey. ALL about it. He should not miss any team functions, be it a morning skate, a meeting, etc. Until we climb out of this rut and play like we are capable of, then our Captain should be out there. If he is not willing to come, then BB should force him to be there.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | December 15, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

is my typing style rubbing OFF ON YOU? ;)

Posted by: vermontcaps

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

forgot to ask..thought you had mentioned something about teaching a few weeks back...r u a private school teacher (since u jabbed at the public school)

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _stevo | December 15, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

ISN'T THAT PATHETIC?? I thought DJK wasn't eligible to play until Saturday, I hope that's the case.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

RedLitYogi-I have to disagree with you. While Ovi is the most popular person in the organization, Ted, GMGM, and BB all wield more power than him. They are the ones who make the decisions and the ones who are ultimately responsible for those decisions. Ovi didn't draft any of his teammates, negotiate the Flash trade with Colorado, or decide to bench DJK for A. Gordon. Ovi is one man on a team of 23-25 players. This team bragged about winning without Ovi last November, Ovi shouldn't really be used as the sole excuse now.

Also, if we are using contract as a measure of accountability, then why has Backs escaped so far? He signed a lifetime contract, wears an "A" and hasn't really played well since game 4 against the Habs.

VarlyisNarly-San Jose took the "C" from Marleau and gave it to the best player on their team, Joe Thorton.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 15, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I posted once that I was a product of public schools, and I am all-too-familiar w/public education (let's just say those I know in public education think fighting in the nhl is an abomination and degrades the sport....NOTHING BUT LIBERAL PACIFISTS WHO SPEW THEIR ELITISM....but then again, I am in Vermont)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Just because Ovi is not on the ice, doesn't mean he is at home. Often, fans report seeing the missing players around Kettler working with trainers, etc. Too bad people who are paid to report on the Caps don't follow up like these autograph hounds.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 15, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"And there is a reason all of you are not employed by the NHL! Express your ideas, but stop kidding yourself that you could do a better job than BB or GMGM or that all these changes that you want could all have happened with the right GM."

---

Capscoach, have you ever criticized a movie you didn't like? A TV Show you didn't like? A Song you didn't like? A meal you didn't like?

Have you ever been employed by the Film, TV, Music, or Food Industries? If no, what qualifies you to make those criticisms?

It's a fallacy to say that because you've never been employed by the NHL, you have no right to be critical of play you don't like.

It's hockey, it's not rocket surgery. It may not "help" to identify issues and opine on solutions to them on an internet message board, but it "helps" exactly as much as pretending like no issues exist and if they did, they can be solved by wishing hard enough. Both are equally valid, have equal merit, and have equal impact on what happens actually on the ice.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The Caps "young guns" don't know how to win. More veteran presence is needed. Knubes is coming around. More guys like him, less like Fehr. January 1 is shaping up to be an embarassment.

Funny to watch the doubting.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jakopz | December 15, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

VTH: First, I agree with you 100%. I can't sing a note but I sure can critique a song I don't like. Put it out there for the public and you are "asking" to be critiqued.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 15, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"But...there's no such thing as "rocket surgery." We have "rocket science" and "brain surgery." We do repair rockets that might not be functioning properly in test, but it's not usually done with a scalpel. :)"

---

In the event you're serious, I suggest watching "Mystery, Alaska"

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@ doughless

Think your right, the whole trip will be an expensive slap in the face on national tv.

@ All who say Leave the "C" with Ovie

I think your nuts ....... IMO Ovie says to the rest of the team and the fans "Whatever" when he continues to not be a part of the TEAM, note no i in that how ever there is one in ovIe. He has become to big in his own mind, he needs to be knocked down a couple of levels. He forgets whats in his dvd and where he comes from

At least the alum game should be good, we will get to see players who still care that they were caps, even brasher is going to come and he only played here a couple of years.

Posted by: bqts | December 15, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

What more can Ovi do to get this team fired up? He started scoring again, and then everyone else stopped scoring. He dropped the gloves and looked downwright PISSED while doing so (you can't fake that) and nobody followed suit. In my opinion, seeing your 124-million dollar man drop the gloves should be enough to get any team fired up. Hell, I was fired up sitting at home on my couch watching the game. Don't pretend like you know what kind of a captain Ovi is. Nobody here knows what goes on behind closed doors.

And FYI, just because a player is not on the ice for the morning skate... does not mean he is at home sleeping. More often than not they are doing some form of off-ice work.

Posted by: JB-RockTheRed | December 15, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Lets sign Brian Rolston off of waivers. he's old ,I mean a veteran then lets get Glen Hanlon to coach this team he's a great defensive coach..if they keep this losing streak going hopefully they can shake all these bandwagon fans off and give them time to go watch their other favorite teams like the Lakers or Heat and the Steelers or Patiots and the Yankees.

Posted by: heathdog1119 | December 15, 2010 10:31 AM

@heathdog1119:

Never heard of the "Patiots" before...what league do they play in? Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

If does indeed turn out that BB must go, I really, really don't think Glen Hanlon is the answer. Frankly, if I were going to bring back any past Caps Coach (ignoring his current real-life commitments), it would be Ron Wilson. He got a team all the way to the SC final without the offensive firepower that the current team has.

And before y'all flame me or call me an idiot (I'm talking to you, cstanton1) for saying that, keep in mind that Bondra is one of my favorite all-time Caps; I just about wept when he was dealt to Ottawa in the Great Fire Sale of 2004.

But as far as big-time goal scoring was concerned, we had Bondra with 52 regular season goals, and Oates with 58 RS helpers, and...well, that was really just about it--no one else on the team was even close. No one but Bonzai even broke the 20-goal plateau and only 5 other players even made it to/past the 10-goal mark that year.

Again: Ron Wilson made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final with only ONE (1) player scoring over 20 goals and only 5 others scoring 10 or more through 82 games!!!.

Say what you will about grit, defense, team toughness, etc.--I won't dispute whether or not these things matter: I agree that they do. But the last time I checked, you have to score more goals than the opposition to win a hockey game, so leading such an offensively-challenged group (by today's standards) as far as Wilson did in 1998-99 was indeed remarkable.

Yes, I, too am in a foul humor over this losing skid. But to read some of the posts here, you'd think that the Caps were doomed to never score another goal or win another game. Forever. PUH-LEEEZE!!!.

Let's be honest when it comes to the current roster: while the goals haven't been coming of late, believe me: they will come again!

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 15, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: heathdog1119 | December 15, 2010 10:31 AM

@heathdog1119:

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 15, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Was at KC picking up winter classic ticket. Ovi, semin, knuble were all there even if they didn't skate. Not like they were home sleeping in late, watching soap operas. Come on people.

Posted by: rgabriel | December 15, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

As it was mentioned, you don't know whats happening behind the closed doors. Instead of boiling because reading someones word and making ridiculous comments and suggestions you better come earlier and watch with your own eyes the team warm up before the games. You would be surprised how much info you'll get about team's mood, who is in the zone, who would be suspected goal-scorer and in what condition is goalkeeper. I can bet that Ovi will circle like a race car adding extra miles which he usually does when he really in a zone and energizing team and crowd. I'm sure that today VC will be even more noisier and roar in support.
PS. thank you @rgabriel just saw your post before submitting this is all saying about many coach-commentators here.

Posted by: yuvk03 | December 15, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

My blood pressure is already raised by watching what is happening on the ice. More specifically what is NOT happening. It was raised WELL before the slump, even as the team couldn't lose I could clearly see the problems.

I am far from a fair weather fan, bandwagoner, whatever. I've followed the team for close to 30 year, seen the good/bad/ugly and bleed Capitals red. Does that mean when I see a coach incapable of winning a playoff series behind the bench I should grin like a Koolaid drinking idiot? I think not.

King being constantly scratched in favor of those who add absolutely nothing to the team (Fehr white courtesy phone)irks me beyond belief. We brought King in because we are one of the softest teams in the league, that fact can't be argued. When we need to get back to basics, play a simple game, go hard to the net, be physical, King is in the press box. WTF? And please don't base his worth on 7 freakin' games.

We have a predictable coach unable to alter his system, give a proven enforcer a fair chance to fill his role, control his bratty players, build a cohesive team and adapt to the in game tactics of NHL coaches.

Sorry if I seem all non-Caps fan like, but this is a game and team I LOVE. To watch another season squandered because our GM cannot see the REAL problem is frustrating.

Here's hoping the Caps continue to lose until the GM gets a freaking clue (based on tonights lineup this one should be in the L column)!!! Short term pain for long term gain...

Posted by: FLDave | December 15, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse