All-Star Game Notes

Here are some interesting factoids and stats from tonight's All-Star Game in Montreal:

*Alex Kovalev is the fifth member of the Canadiens to win all-star MVP honors, joining Jean Beliveau (1964), Henri Richard (1967), Peter Mahovlich (1976) and March Recchi (1997).

"Like I said at the beginning of the weekend," Kovalev said. "I'm not going to hide this. I wanted this badly, so I was going for it."

*Jarome Iginla finally has an all-star goal. He scored the Western Conference's eight goal, his first tally in four previous ASG appearances.

*Tim Thomas became the fifth goalie in all-star game history to win the game in back to back years, joining Frank Brimsek (1947 and '48), Jacques Plante (1958 and 1959), Johnny Bower (1961 and 1962) and Martin Brodeur (1997-1998).

Thomas, by the way, probably will be first goalie the Caps face coming out of the break.

*This was the fifth time in ASG history the contest went past regulation and second decided in a shootout. In 2003, the West went 3 for 4 in the tiebreaker to win, 6-5.

*The penalty assessed to Mike Komisarek in overtime was the first penalty handed out in an ASG since 2000.

*The 23 goals were the second highest in ASG history. Twenty-six were scored in 2001, a 14-12 win for North America over the World.

That's it from me tonight. I've got an early flight to Boston and then a bit of a drive to Worcester, Mass., where I'm going to cover Bruce Boudreau's induction into the AHL Hall of Fame tomorrow afternoon.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 25, 2009; 11:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Sets Caps' ASG Points Mark, Gets Caught Lookin'
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Posted by: richmondphil | January 26, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Has it really been that long since someone got a penalty? I remember somebody joking when they were mic-ed up that their bid for Lady Byng had been spoiled because of a penalty and the announcers assuring him that the ASG didn't count.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 26, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

The NHL really needs to get its act together with All-Star weekend. The TV coverage is just awful (even by Versus standards) and if reporters can't, you know, report on the game it's pretty frustrating as a fan. It's pretty much the one and only time the league has to promote the sport, I wish they'd put some effort into it.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | January 26, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, but why mic the players when they'd be more focused on the game they were playing? I felt bad for St. Louis when he was mic'd. Seemed awkward for him to be trying to keep up witty banter with the Versus team when it was clear he wanted just to focus on the game.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 26, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan, I think that's because St-Louis was one of the only guys actually taking the game seriously. Some guys they mic and it turns out "well"--and by "well" I really just mean entertaining--like with DiPietro last year. Who can forget the classic, "F***, my hip!" on national television? Its the crazy guys you want mic'd, or the goalies, which I guess is semi-inherent to crazy. Its just trying to draw the casual fan in. What other sport mic's players during a game? Some players are good for it, some aren't. Unfortunately for Versus, after Savard, things just sort of went downhill.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 26, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

I confess, I have not watched the game yet, but I enjoyed the skills comp. Regardless, I am glad to see that Ovie dominated the weekend. For those who saw it all, did Ovie deserve MVP or did the hardware go home with the right Russian?

Regarding guys being mic'd, I'm with JMU - it has to go on the right guy (i.e. it needs to go on someone who is just having fun, who is not too distracted by it, who is pretty chatty and who can control themselves enough not to get too caught up in the moment to say something that they will regret.)

Savard was great mic'd. I loved it when coach was asking him if he could perform in the shootout like that in a real game. A little tiny piece of me hopes that we go to the shootout this week to see if he gets a shot at it, and that he is the only Bruin to get one in while all of the Caps do! :-) (I guess that is mathmatically impossible ... OK, so two of the Caps in the shootout and Savard scores for the Bruins.) Anyway, Parise did a pretty good job, too (as did RDiP last year), so they clearly just have to pick their volunteers/victims more carefully.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 26, 2009 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Just watched all of the ASG goals on NHLN. Gotta say, if hockey fans didn't love Ovie before, how could they not now after that performance? Especially his SO GWG ... is he bringing that home with him?!?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 26, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

The game turned into a bit of a snore for me - I've taken to liking watching defense. Maybe I'm weird for that, but there's more thinking and more strategy involved. Still, seeing Ovi score twice was cool.

Anyone else think that Savard and Ovi made a really good pairing?

OK, All-Star game is over. Can we talk Boston yet? How do you think that Savard being paired with Ovechkin in the ASG will affect the game Tuesday? Each has some insight into how the other plays now. And what do we do about the PK? Will Mo and Poti being back affect/change that at all?

Posted by: kittypawz | January 26, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

The only thing that got REAL OLD for me was the Montreal love fest. I mean after the anthems, the announcers were talking about how classy it was and what else could you expect in Montreal? Really!!! How about stupid Montreal French Canadians BOOING the USA National Anthem?? That showed real class now didn't it? On XM radio yesterday they were saying it would be acceptable for players to miss an ASG in like Atlanta, LA, Long Island, or NJ, but not in Montreal! After all hockey is so much more important that hockey anywhere else. Players deserved to be punished if they missed the game in Montreal! WHAT CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: majiksea | January 26, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse