All-Star Game gets a makeover

By Associated Press

The NHL All-Star Game will look like a schoolyard pickup game this year.

The league announced Wednesday that it is switching from the conference-vs.-conference format it has used for years to a player draft conducted by the All-Stars themselves, in which captains selected by the players will determine the teams.

The 2011 All-Star Weekend will be hosted by Carolina on the last weekend in January.

Under the new format, two captains per team will select the remaining All-Stars in any order they choose. Those teams will compete in the All-Star Game and SuperSkills competition.

NHL vice president Brendan Shanahan says the goal is to "make the game more fun for everyone" and to "inject more excitement and intrigue into all the events."

More: NHL Goes Fantasy (On Frozen Blog), All-Star Game to feature new Fantasy Draft (NHL.com)

By Associated Press  | November 10, 2010; 4:39 PM ET
Categories:  All-Star Game
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals assign Semyon Varlamov to Bears
Next: Morning roundup: All-Star Game reactions

Comments

This looks really similar to the WPS all-star game last summer.

Posted by: TheAMT | November 10, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

At this point, why don't they throw stick in the middle and let some lucky fan pull them out. (For those who haven't played pickup hockey in your lives, this is a time-honored way of spliting teams. Throw the sticks in a pile, someone tosses them one to one side or the other and you then go find your stick and your team.)

Seriously, this fantasy draft idea is a cry for relevance.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 10, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Quintin Laing signs pto with AHL's Abbottsford Heat...enroute to Providence for games there this weekend

Posted by: wendel2 | November 10, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

@oldtimehockey

I get what you're saying but i don't really think it's a cry for relevance. I think they are trying to add some fun to it. I think they already know there's no real relevance to an All Star game anyway, so let's have fun. I think the change should add a little element of fun to it that would be of interest to the players and fans.

I also think your old school idea of picking teams would be fun too. Maybe do it before the skills competition. Maybe they should do the young guns game like that?

Posted by: natresgroup | November 10, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this idea sounds terrible. Sounds like the NHL needs someone else to do their marketing for them.

Posted by: futbolclif | November 10, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I think it sound like a fun idea. Wonder who the captains will be.

Posted by: capscoach | November 10, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Honestly it sounds like they could make Ovechkin and Patrick Sharp say pick for Team A and Crosby and Stamkos pick for Team B. A picks one, B picks two, A picks two, B picks two, etc. It will be I think to pit Ovi vs Crosby yet again and could be interesting (will Ovi tend to pick Russians? When do we get the first goalie picked? Who? Will there be a run on defensemen as soon as the first one is taken? Do the teams get to pick their coaches too?).

FWIW, Brooks Laich leads the NHL in +/- to this point.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 10, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Let do some prediction for the AllStar game … Capitans would be Crosby and Oveshkin. Team Oveshkin will be composed of mostly Russians and other European players vs Crosby’s Canadians.
So it shall be written, so it shall be done. Apologies to norstratthomas

Posted by: guer_j | November 10, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

darn, tominsocal1 beat me to the prediction :(

Posted by: guer_j | November 10, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

@guer_i

I think you've just learned a valuable lesson in the power of tominsocal's prognosticating powers.

Just don't have him pick stocks for you.

Posted by: natresgroup | November 10, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

icehammer: Thanks for finding that article you posted last thread about MaJo . I was the one who orginally told Hobbs he was wrong about MaJo going back to the SEL but couldn't find anything in print. The only thing I found was the WaPo article so I retracted my statement. I like MaJo but I wonder who will sit to get him back in the line-up.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be way more cool to put Ovie and Crosby on the same team...the NHL has overdone the crosby v ovie thing

they could do Ovie and Crosby vs. Stamkos and well they would really have to pick someone from the west.

Posted by: capscoach | November 10, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Also...watching the pitt/bos game and the more I watch crosby the more I see that he is not covered as carfully as other teams cover ovie...I mean I know the kid is very good, and also very sneaky around the ice, but teams don't seem to focus on him nearly as much as they focus on Ovie.

Posted by: capscoach | November 10, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry fanohock.

As for the all-star game. I think it is an interesting way to try and get players who would not have played together otherwise to get a chance. If it is Ovie v. Sid Ovechkin cannot pick too many Russians because he has to pick from the list from NHL hockey ops. Since there are two captains per team I would like to see Ovechkin and Nick Lidstrom as one set and Crosby and Teemu Selanne. That way each team has the old and the young. Of course those 4 all have to be healthy and at least good enough that they should be in the game.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 10, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

hey capscoach, are you still watching the Pens vs Bruins game? It is unbelievably similar to the Caps vs Bruins game. The Pens have dominated, had a two goal lead rather than a three goal lead going into the third and Boston scored two goals in the first 5 minutes of the 3rd and the game is tied.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

No big deal icehammer, but I am glad you found the quote from GMGM, I thought I was going crazy here.

I just sent an entry that is lost somewhere out there in the ether.

Anyhow, this Pens vs Bruins game is unbelievably similar to the Caps vs Bruins game. The Pens dominated through 2 periods. They started the 3rd up by 2 rather than 3 but the Bruins scored 2 goals in the first 5 minutes of the 3rd and now the game is tied. Console energy center sounds like verizon did last week. It sure was nice watching the humble Bruins fans walk out of the stadium after the Caps went ahead and took the game in regulation after listening to the obnoxious Bruins fans in the 3rd.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

B's managed to go ahead by one so the refs called a penalty on them.

Penguins look sleepy as S**t

Posted by: Justafan | November 10, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

darn, tominsocal1 beat me to the prediction :(

Posted by: guer_j | November 10, 2010 7:01 PM

I could have told you in advance I'd predict it first. signed, nostrathomas

ICE: I am now thinking they might put one forward and one defenseman as captain of each team. I still want Ovi vs Crosby because I love to root against ruby red lips. Good choice would be Ovi and Lidstrom one team and Crosby/Chara on the other. I can see Crosby picking his Canadian buddies just like I can see Ovi and Lidstrom picking some Euros. Chara is big and dumb looking so I'm guessing he just does what Crosby says.

Whatever the league picks, it will be done to maximize the audience. Coming on the heels of the Winter Classic, Ovi vs Crosby will still be hot. BUT, first, the Captains will most likely come from the six starters selected by the fans, three forwards, two D and one goalie (which is why I said the 4 capts would be two each forward and D with then one forward and the G leftover to be picked). It is not foregone who will be picked by the fans. Stamkos at this point warrants selection. If Canadians alone were picking, he'd get selected. But you will have ballots stuffed by NYR, Boston and Philly fans, plus Detroit and Chicago, so that's why I thought Sharp might get in.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 10, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Holy Canoli, Thornton just scored to put the Bruins ahead. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. He scored one goal all last season and has scored two in the last week. Boogard, Erskine, and now Thornton two in one week. Craaaaaaaazy.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Bruins killed it and then went up by two with 3 and a half left.

Penguins were up 4-2 to start the third, and are losing 6-4. Man, they are not doing well.

Posted by: Justafan | November 10, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

natresgroup: I sold 1000 Kraft I bought last week as it was lagging the market. I bought QQQQ, so you can expect the Naz to tumble.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 10, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

So finally the best player in the league won't be the GM's first candidate to play, rather than that stupid voting system which never got Ovi on the team >.>

50 goal 110 pt seasons aren't all-star quality. But that 25 goal 75 pt dude from bum-crap nowhere playing on the 2nd line gets voted in to first team all-star.

Posted by: breaklance | November 10, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Actually according to the ESPN article on the new All-Star game "The players will then elect two captains, who will choose sides in a fantasy draft on Jan. 28." So the league seems to have no say as to who the captians are. It would be interesting to see who the players pick. Since Ovechkin has won their MVP the last three times it seems the players still respect him but Crosby not so much. It would be great to have Ovechkin voted a Captain and Crosby not get the honor.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 10, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

@Justafan

It appears the Penguins are mired in mediocrity this year, thus far. So are the Blackhawks for that matter.

I'll admit I rooted for the Bruins to beat the Pens. My hatred (and distrust) for the Pens runs that deep. What's with the Bruins and the high scoring as of late?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 10, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Bruins win PT two years ago? Then last year they trade Kessel and get nothing (for last year) and wasn't Thomas hurt much of last season? And didn't they get Horton in a steal of a deal? And didn't they make a good trade & sign with Seidenberg?

I had them equal to Caps, Pens, SJ, Van, Det and Chi at 10% each to start the season with Flyers and Kings about 8% chance each. I did not have Tampa due to questionable goaltending. Maybe we give Tampa 2-3% and the field the rest of the ten percent.

You can't be surprised at Boston after what they did 08-09 and considering last year injuries and missing Kessel. Even if Thomas slips they have another goalie. 1A and 1B.

Boston really looks about as good as Chicago turned out to be last year.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 10, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

random thoughts:
1. wow the bruins look pretty good this year - they have cap issues looming but I expect Savard`s return will be a net positive
2. wow the Devils look awfully bad this year. I mean beyond recognition bad.

Here`s a question: does this player deserve a spot at the all-star game if stats like this continue:
15GP, 3G (1GWG), 5A, -7

Ilya Kovalchuk

I suspect Ovi would pick him anyway though

Posted by: PSD1 | November 10, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@Z

Lay off King. Sloan caused the Boogaard goal. BB doesn't know how to use King. BB didn't have King dressed against Leblond when the boys played Jersey. Leblond is a nut. BB doesn't even know the personel in the league.

One look at that Leblond/Janssen fight, and you dress King when you play the Devils. LeBlond's a first class nut !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can King look good when BB is playing him 6 minutes a week ? Weird !

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 11, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

@Cstanton

Come on down and post !

Fanhock needs his block knocked off !!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 11, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Some people are jumping the gun, I think. I would not be surprised if the captains are others than someone named OV. Also, I think the captains will have a lot of unnecessary pressure - Should they pick someone from their team over a more talented player? Or should they take the risk of offending a line mate and pick someone else? I see little sparks that can become a full fire later on. I would rather have the coaches pick the players, that would be more interesting to me.

Posted by: hock1 | November 11, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

@Hunterforcoach. BB seemed to know how to use Brash when he was here. Even without playing the whole season his last year here he was one of our leading hitters. King barely hits more than a time a game and can't play more than just a few minutes a night. When he came here I bought what people were saying when I heard that he could do more than just fight but he can only do one thing and he hasn't even done that well this year. His two fights this year neither was one that Hendricks couldn't have done the same thing as King did. Hunter for instance not only could fight but could score some and most importantly would hit and disrupt the other team's rythem. King does not do that even in the little time he is on the ice. I could care less if King didn't score a goal the entire season as long as he made an impact when he was on the ice. That is what the good enforcers do. They impact the game. King has not done that in his play. The only way King has impacted the game so far this year was forcing lines to be changed all the time and guys double shifting all game.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 11, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

some bullets from the nhl link:

* From a group of 100 players on the ballot, fans will vote for their top six All-Stars by position without regard to the Conference in which the player plays. Fans will also have the ability to write-in a player of their choice.

* As with previous All-Star games, the remaining 36 All-Stars will be named by the NHL Hockey Operations Dept. for a total of 42 All-Star players (3 goalies, 6 defensemen and 12 forwards per team).

* After the 42 NHL All-Stars have been selected, two captains will be chosen per team by the players.

* On Friday, January 28, 2011, a fantasy draft event will be held in Raleigh with all 54 NHL players (42 All-Stars and 12 rookies) during which the captains will draft the remaining members of their respective teams.

* First selection in the draft will be determined by coin flip and selections will continue on an alternating basis.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 11, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Get rid of the fan voting. Remember last year the hack the Habs' fans used? And a few over active markets will over select their players. Let the actual NHL players pick like the NFL.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | November 11, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

I'd hate to be the last star picked in the fantasy draft. What if , for example, Brooks Laich is one of 2 players left and Capt. Ovi picks Jeff Skinner...ooof.

Posted by: jeets | November 11, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | N

Yeah...I made that connection pretty quick! BUT... we pulled through and won whereas the Pens fell apart.

As much joy as it would bring me to see a crappy Pens team...they will get their act together sooner or later...they always do! I always say my favorite team is the Caps and whoever is playing the Pens :)

Anyone think their coach gets the axe soon?

Posted by: capscoach | November 11, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

It is interesting that last season the Caps and Pens had very similar teams...offensively gifted, but lacking in defensive responsibility and some uneven goaltending (Fluerry is as streaky as they come)The pens did everything we WANTED to do in the off season...they bought a new defense more or less...we did not, but obviously have started changing our systems...the Pens are still struggling on D.

Also...is it weird that although I want the Pens to lose more than almost anything, I still felt bad for Johnson? For whatever reason, I still feel like he is one of us.

Posted by: capscoach | November 11, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm planning to be in the DC area tomorrow and would like to stop by Kettler and watch the Caps practice. Does anyone know if they're definitely practicing at 11:00 tomorrow or when that decision will be made?

Posted by: CapFanInFlyerLand | November 11, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

U can call Kettler in the morning and they will tell u!

Posted by: capscoach | November 11, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Sorry it's getting late for this, but here's a site I keep bookmarked:

Morning skate today.

It will be interesting to see how the Caps handle the games against TB, Buff, and Atl after all the emotion that went into the last three, and only a morning skate in prep for tonight's game. I've had this one circled on the calendar for a while; I only hope the Caps come out ready to rock, but won't be surprised if they start sluggish.

Posted by: Justafan | November 11, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree w/capscoach in that I would love to see Ovie and Sid play together for a change. I think it would be interesting and if it's just for fun, why not? The NHL would never let that happen though. Not those two.

Posted by: AmyS1 | November 11, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse