Ovechkin, Backstrom and Green on All-Star fan ballot

By Katie Carrera

Online fan voting to determine six players who will attend this year's NHL All Star game in Raleigh, N.C., will open on Monday and three Capitals players are on the ballot -- Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green.

One might say that it's a little peculiar that Alexander Semin, with his 21 points that currently ranks fourth in the NHL, isn't on the list. The teams that have more players on the team than the Capitals are: Anaheim (4), Boston (4), Chicago (6), Detroit (5), Los Angeles (4), Philadelphia (5), Pittsburgh (4), San Jose (5), Toronto (4) and Vancouver (4).

Fans can vote through Jan. 3, 2011, and select up to six players, three forwards, two defensemen and one goaltender regardless of which conference they belong to. Voting results will be announced every Tuesday, beginning Nov. 23.

You can check out the full list of players on the ballot and team-by-team breakdown of nominees via the NHL's release.

By Katie Carrera  | November 12, 2010; 5:30 PM ET
Categories:  Alex Ovechkin, All-Star Game, Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marcus Johansson to return to Caps' lineup against Sabres
Next: Braden Holtby first off the ice for Capitals

Comments

He is sure to be a write in as long as he continues at this pace oh by the way ive never been first

Posted by: jp14710 | November 12, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Toronto has more?!?! Semin wasn't going to be voted in but if he keeps up how he has been going he will be drafted by whoever the captain is.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 12, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

The fans only pick the six starters and the league picks the other 36. I don't think the captains need to come from the six starters.

Now for some strategy, just like when you'd have pick-up football or whatever. Let's say they name Ovi and the sack puncher as captain. Ovi already knows Crosby hates Semin. So Ovi could leave Semin for a couple extra rounds and pick guys that Crosby might otherwise want. We absolutely know Ovi will want Datsyuk. Crosby will want Gonchar, obviously they miss him. Both will want Malkin. Ovi will want Backie, if he's picked, which isn't a given. Based on final stats last year Backie is certainly a top 8 center, but we don't know. Stamkos is a good choice for Ovi. Crosby takes Doughty, Ovi takes Green, whose offense is magnified.

You can see it's not a given for Backie as Crosby, Stamkos and maybe Datsyuk are givens. Other guys could surprise like Derek Roy, who can play 3rd and 4th line (valuable). Also Brad Richards a good choice.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Also, you have Getzlaf, Thornton, Sedin and Zetterberg at center. Competition fierce, Marleau too, Jeff Carter, Staal. Probably 15 really good candidates to whittle to 8. I myself if I were Ovi would be happy with Backie, Sedin, Datsyuk and Zetterberg (or Richards). Two excellent set-up men, a checker and a grinder. Some of those guys might last awhile, so he could load up with d-men and forwards.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Do not underestimate how much the Caps are disliked by Canadian traditionalists. Remember, last year, Milbury referred to them as the "Crapitals" and "Eurotrash" on national TV without any discipline, and there are always veiled insults because of the number of Russians. Having only 3 Caps is not the end of the world, since guys like Semin have a good chance to get on the team, but it is ridiculous that there are teams like Toronto with more.

They should use this as motivation to see what the Canadians in the league office really think of them

Posted by: haunches | November 12, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Yet another reason to ignore the All-Star game...

Posted by: CapsNut | November 12, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

@haunches

Gee whiz, perennial doormat Toronto with more All Star guys than the Caps. LOL.

(Don't worry, Semin will outscore anyone on Toronto this year, except possibly Kessel.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 12, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Fleury is on the ballot??? How is that possible? 1 win, 6 losses, SV% @ .854???

Posted by: mlody67 | November 12, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

What will be funny is if one of the starters is "last one picked." It could be the goalie or it could be someone from Montreal or Toronto if their fans stuff the ballot boxes.

Also always a good chance that everyone in Chicago dead or alive votes six times. They are still reveving absentee ballots for Kennedy from the 1960 election.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 12, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Hardly surprising that Semin was left off considering I scored as many goals in last years playoffs.

If he continues to play well, he'll get picked by the league. That's how it should be.

Posted by: noslok | November 12, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Quintin Laing 1 goal 1 assist in his Abbottsford Heat debut in Providence

Posted by: wendel2 | November 12, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock
@all other "Semin is the new Wayne"

Yes, I would trade Semin for Keith in a second. Duncan Keith plays play off hockey every game during the playoffs. He won that cUp for the Hawks. He's what we need back there. He's a fast, strong, bone crunching defenseman who shuts down goal scorers. He is worth what he is being paid. He scares people. Poti, Schultz, Green et al, do not.

Semin is fun to watch. Always has been since his first night here. Problem ? He's
a strange athlete who just refuses to show any discipline or heart. Has that changed in 16 games ? I've watched this guy for so many hours, I doubt it. He always takes lazy stick calls in the offensive zone. Which means he's lazy, and undisciplined. The refs know he's lazy as they're always calling him on it. He gets ZERO breaks, because he has earned this reputation over HUNDREDS of games.

He disappears for a week, often.
Semin has really done little to propel us through the playoffs. I watched him "glide around" in game 5 at home. That was an elimimation game for the Habs, then Halak got "hot". Semin needed to score and knock them out, so we could advance. The effort was NOT there. Green can be rescued by an NHL level coach. Semin is a mystery. I hope that he has had a "come to Jesus" moment, and realizes that this team gets blown up with an early exit.

Semin is just "hot", and all this will pass. I HOPE I'M WRONG, and now we're seeing the guy Kolzig talked about. I suspect that as soon as a guy like Pronger starts cross checking Semin in the slot, that Semin will fold in a long playoff series.

And, yes this all about the playoffs. I've watched enough of the Caps in the regular season. I want that excitement back of when Dale beat Hextall and Kryger beat Hasek. If you can't replicate your performance in the playoffs, you're worthless in this league.

Tired of seeing all our "TRUE RIVALS" (old Patrick Div) go deep into the playoffs and win multiple cUps. I want playoff performers here, because I want to win before Ovi gets hurt (Forsburg), or we have serious cap problems.

Then, we'll start the rebuild all over again. We used to yell 1940 to the Ranger fans. If GMGM doesn't get this right, we'll have Pens fans yelling 1974 at us !!!!!!

Let's hope Semin has suddenly grown horns and is now a "beast", because I've watched him for hundreds of hours, and he's only been a "beast-ette"

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 12, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

@Hunterforcoach, Other than the Penguin Scum, name a true "Patrick Division Rival" who has won "multiple Cups" in the last 20-25 years.

And no, New Jersey doesn't count as a "rival." They're about as much a rival as Carolina is.

Oh and Semin averages nearly a point a game in the playoffs and who was it that broke up a shorthanded breakaway from behind Montreal had in Game 5 last spring without taking a penalty?

Posted by: CapsNut | November 12, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

"He disappears for a week, often."

there needs to be more disappearing - and for more than a week

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 12, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I long for the days of the multiple 20-goals Caps scorer & the gritty almost but not good enough every year playoffs - NOT!

Losing in the playoffs means not being good enough regardless of style.

Going back to slow-mo cycling hockey...while we are at it, lets use halogens arena lighting while we're at it.

Geebus, time has move forward old timer.

Posted by: Rocc00 | November 12, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

@capsnut
@Rocc00
@captkirk

Boy, where do you start with the dung you guys have tossed. Jersey not a rival?

Before Ovi, Scotty was the best hockey player by far to ever put on our jersey. Watching him lift 3 cUps as Jersey Captain just killed us. Stevens, Landway, AND an owner who would purchase some scoring = cUp. We hate Jersey! That's our guy wearing the "C". The almost monthly whipping we took at home at the hands of the Isles for a decade still hurts. You guys are too young. Rangers won a cUp finally, and that was hard to watch.

Rocco00, old time Caps fans hate "Abe", but he's dead. So, we leave him alone. You're going to find that if we don't play some 80's team defense in the playofs, we're done. How far has BB's system gotten us in the playoffs ? We barely beat a weak Rangers team. The Flyers had a lump of coal in goal and beat us anyway. The Habs were basically Hal Gill and the smurfs last year.(They beat a watered down Pens team.)

Capsnut, I remember the play, but then he did his disappearing act. Will Semin ever score a huge goal ? No, it's too much work !

Capsnut, I hate the Flyers and Pens. I do admire the way the Flyers played last year. I wish we had their coach and their "heart".

As much as I hate to say it, Crosby is one heck of a hockey player. I wish he were on my team. His Olympic performance was epic. (Contrast that with Semin's performance or disappearing act)

How long have you all been fans ?????????

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 13, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

"You new in town?"
"Sure am, barkeep, and I've never seen a place like this one."
"Oh, it's nothin," the bartender said with a dismissive wave of his hand.
"Nothin? Why, half the people are yellin at the other half! By the way, I'll have a beer."
"Beer? Ha, ha. Don't serve the stuff."
"No beer? What kinda bar is this, people all wearing red, yelling and screaming at each other, and no beer?"
"All's we got here is goat's blood and Kool-Aid. So, what's your pleasure?"
The cowboy put on his hat, gave it a hard tug on his forehead and turned for the door. "I think my pleasure is that I'm going to sleep."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 13, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

According to another site, the teams submit names for the All Star ballot, so maybe these are the only 3 names the Caps gave. Hard to believe the league would overlook the guy that was 7th in goals and 13th in scoring last year.

@Hunterforcoach

Did you watch the playoffs last year? Keith should be lucky the Norris vote took place before the playoffs. He didn't look very good, including being -5 against a Preds team that can't score.

Did you watch the Olympics? Crosby was pretty much a non factor. Babcock couldn't find a set a wingers to play with him. He had no points in the quarterfinal blowout against Russia, or the semi's against Slovakia. If not for that gold medal goal, his Olympic showing would have been disappointing. A big goal all the same, but if you're using that tournament to determine big game players, I'd pick Toews.

Also, Semin scored 5 goals in the series against the Rangers, including the tying goal in game 7. I'd call that a big goal. He also scored two big goals in the 2008 WC final against Canada. Before you say the Canadians sent their junior squad, check out their roster. (Yeah, Canadians don't give a d@mn about the WC! LOL!)

Cam Ward Pascal Leclaire

Rick Nash

Posted by: ablake70 | November 13, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Hutnerforcoach = cstanton
What a laugh.

Posted by: hock1 | November 13, 2010 2:29 AM | Report abuse

@hunterforcoach

I love what you post, you're my type of fan...I'm somewhat embarassed by the new Caps fan who "rock the red" at the "phone booth."...they're scared everytime Green/Semin fights for fear of getting injured, defend OVI for not fighting, think Shultz is the next coming of Langway, lambast players like Erskine and King, etc...Rest assured, HUNTERFORCOACH, Bruins fans up here are hardcore to the nth degree and love the style of hockey we apparently do....Cups or not, when the Caps become the East's version of the pacifist Red Wings they will take a seat in my heart to the Bruins (and yes, I've been rooting for them since their inception)...F*** European and collegiate hockey, give me the NHL

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 13, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Amazing! The Penguins have FOUR players and the Caps only have THREE? C'mon man! That is crap!

I live in Pittsburgh and can tell you that they have at best TWO possible All-Star's. But to give them FOUR is outrageous. They are a five hundred hockey team. And as for Semin not being on the ballad...He's playing better than any Penguin including The Kid.

I guess Semin needs to win the Hart Trophy to get some respect!

Posted by: ekbinion68 | November 13, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

My guess is that those that are critical of Semin have never played hockey. Also apparently OVI could not help the Caps get past the HABs. Silly arguements on Semin. Some folks hate just to hate. And they unfortunately do not know anything about hockey. They listen to Milbury or guys like that from Canada.

Posted by: pkme | November 13, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Still don't understand the Semin bashing. He is the most talented player on the Caps. Ovie takes about half of each shift off to stand straight up glide in the neutral zone waiting to cherry pick. Semin is also one of the best PKer's and is one of our only stars that back check.

Since Semin doesn't meet with the media, nobody seems to notice him.

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | November 13, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Still don't understand the Semin bashing. He is the most talented players on the Caps. Ovie takes about half of each shift off to stand straight up glide in the neutral zone waiting to cherry pick. Semin is also one of the best PKer's and is one of our only stars that back check.

Since Semin doesn't meet with the media, nobody seems to notice him.

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | November 13, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

vermontcaps: Very selective memory. First, do you even go to the "phone booth" to know what they think? Also, have you ever read anyone here say Schultz compared to Langway? Even totally drunk with Kool Aid no one would say or think that. The opinion on Schultz here is pretty a solid #2 pair D. He lacks physicality but plays well positionally. Unlike guys like Kevin Hatcher who had big names but would leave their guy to throw a check, Schultz shadows his man and uses long reach to disengage player from puck.

Schultz will get better. He might get a little stronger, but mostly it seems he listens to his coaching. I am hoping he turns out to be a Calle Johansson type. Not Langway; Johansson.

Sounds like you and Huntsyforcoach were all that bar, all night, slamming down shots of goat's blood. It's all OK. Really. It takes one side to balance the other. This is no different than Congress where you have one side of extremists offsetting the other.

I will agree w/you, if you intended to make this point, the Caps sorely lack any kind of D with either Langway, Stevens or Tinordi in him and I don't think we can win 16 in the spring w/o that. You can't keep playing Mike Green 30 mins/game as he's doing all year. BB finally controlled forward minutes last game and needs to do that on D. We need a solid, steady, hard-hitting vet to take pressure off Green.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 13, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@hunterforcoach:

I'll have you know that I've been going to Caps games since 1984. As a matter of fact, the very first game I went to was against Billy Smith and the New York Islanders.

And I will tell that I've never, never seen the kind of electricity or anticipation in the building (whether it was the Cap Centre/USAir(ways)Arena or MCI/Verizon Center) when the Devils came to town as there is when the Flyers, Rangers, or Penguin Scum show up.

Others have already made the point I was going to make about Canadian Diving Team Capatain, Lowblow Secondary Assist Cindy Crosby and her laughable Olympic performance on her home ice. She's the Canadian Mike Eruzione. Lowblow Cindy is the biggest joke to come out hockey since Erica Lindros. Yeah, she won a Cup and Gold Medal, but who won the Conn Smythe that wear? Who was Olympic MVP? Not Cindy in either case.

But I find it comical that you say things like "I watched him "glide around" in game 5 at home." and when put on the spot give him credit for hustling back and making a great defensive play. Or "Scotty was the best hockey player by far to ever put on our jersey. Watching him lift 3 cUps as Jersey Captain just killed us. ... That's our guy wearing the "C"." But "old time Caps fans hate "Abe", but he's dead. So, we leave him alone."

I tell you who I don't I admire, I don't admire people who talk out of both sides of their mouths.

And if "cUps" are all that matters, why do you admire so much a franchise that hasn't won one since 1975?

Posted by: CapsNut | November 13, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Schultz is the next Langway.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | November 13, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Also apparently OVI could not help the Caps get past the HABs.

Posted by: pkme |

Lttle known fact about Ovechkin, he is the all-time leader in goals per game in the playoffs. Ever; dead, retired, or still playing.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | November 13, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

___________________________

As an self-proclaimed OG fan, I do hope you are aware that Stevens had zero intention of playing in Jersey...which is why he signed with the Blues.

So should we be hating the Blues?? I agree in that the NJ/Caps games of the mid 90s were fun to watch for a while after the trade, but that was it. It definitely was not a rivalry though, we haven't even played them in the playoffs in how long? 2 decades!

Posted by: richmondphil2 | November 13, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Schultz is the next Langway.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | November 13, 2010 11:45 AM

The one play Langway would always do, I can never forget, because I would stop breathing whenever he did it, is he would drop down on both knees, helmetless, in front of a player about to unleash a slapshot, with this look on his face, "Well, it's as good a time to die as any."

There must have been a code back then, "You don't shoot the puck at helpless defensemen who do that," because I always recall the other player then passing instead.

If Schultz were to start doing that...

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 13, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Katie announced the probable lineup tonight via Twitter:

Looks like the #Caps lines against the #Sabres will be: 8-19-28, 21-90-22, 25-14-16, 26-39-10. For the start anyway.

Holtby first off ice.

Posted by: nicety251 | November 13, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Remember the "French Connection"? Perreault, Martin, and Rene Robert. I propose we name the Backstrom, Ovechkin, and Semin line the "BOS" line. For obvious reasons. Talk it up!

Posted by: JunkGoal | November 13, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Face it. Fan all-star voting is a JOKE in every sport.
So many players get in on their "name", not how well they play? Way too many.

Posted by: pjohn2 | November 14, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ekbinion68
"I live in Pittsburgh and can tell you that they have at best TWO possible All-Star's. But to give them FOUR is outrageous"

---------

I think your logic is flawed. Perhaps quoting a stat and pointing out which player is undeserving. Simply stating, I live in Pittsburgh, doesn't really qualify as an argument against the number of all-stars they should have.

That being said, Semin probably should've been on the ballot. I doubt it's the ridiculous conspiracy theories that some of you have assembled. It's probably more on just how that all-star voting and system is structured.

Posted by: rderr27 | November 15, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Not having Semin on the ballot IS a conspiracy. Only Stamkos has more goals. ONE GUY!!!!! GOALS- you know the whole point of the game. Yes, I know that all-star ballots are often who has a big following even if they are not having a good year. BUT HE HAD 40 GOALS LAST YEAR!!!!! Can you imagine leaving off the guy with the second most home runs in a baseball fan draft?

There has to be some explanation out of the NHL for this.

Posted by: rjma1 | November 15, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

HUnter wrote on 11-12 about Semin: "He always takes lazy stick calls in the offensive zone."

He took one penalty in the playoffs and has had only 6 this whole season. Were any of those the "lazy stick" type? Still hold to your "always" comment?

Posted by: rjma1 | November 15, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

As for the conspiracy theories: I would just like to point out that the Stars of the Week were posted yesterday. Price was No. 1. Crosby was No. 2, 3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points. Semin was No. 3, also 8 points, but with 4 goals and 4 assists.

Let me write that again: Semin had 4 GOALS and 4 assists, but came in behind Crosby's 3 GOALS and 5 assists.

Since when are assists more valuable than goals?

The League drowns us, the hockey audience, in a deluge of propaganda favoring Crosby while showering his competition with slights. In print, over the airwaves, on All-Star ballots.

Still think the NHL does not have an agenda?

Posted by: cymbeline2 | November 16, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse