Anderson Promoted In Atlanta

It's official: John Anderson -- Bruce Boudreau's best friend -- is finally getting his shot to coach in the big leagues. Thrashers.com confirmed the TSN report moments ago.

When I called Anderson in December to ask him about Boudreau for a story I was writing about the Caps' new coach, he sounded so happy that his former junior teammate was finally behind an NHL bench.

"I missed his call that morning, but I phoned him back right away," said John Anderson, Boudreau's best friend and coach of the AHL's Chicago Wolves. "I said, is this the head coach of the Washington Capitals? He said, 'Yes it is.' Sometimes it's being at the right place at the right time. He had the resume and was in the right place."

This time, it was Anderson who had the resume and was in the right place. It's refreshing to see NHL teams taking a chance on unproven -- but talented -- coaches, rather than just recycling the same old guys who failed at other stops. Perhaps it was Boudreau's success that opened the door for Anderson.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 20, 2008; 2:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Sign Osala; Leonsis Just 'Kicking It'
Next: Stamkos, As Expected, Goes No. 1

Comments

Rumors are swirling and hockeybuzz.com is reporting that "Speedster" Maxim Afinogenov of Buffalo may be heading to the Caps. Another Russian on the squad??? I wonder if OV has talked with GMGM about this?

Posted by: Nils | June 20, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Well I'd certainly welcome afinogenov, but I doubt it's gonna happen.

Posted by: Jordan | June 20, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Where precisely is he going to fit in under the cap? Oh wait, Eklund reported that? Never mind.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I dont care what kind of friends they are.

Foil Up and smack that Thrasher tail all over the ice.

If I were Boudreau I would throw a chair at Anderson first game over the bench, and let him know this is his game.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

hahaha :D

Posted by: mauree | June 20, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rob | June 20, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"'Speedster' Maxim Afinogenov of Buffalo may be heading to the Caps."
I dunno about this, he really stunk it up for my Fantasy World Championship team :P

Posted by: honed | June 20, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

For years it seemed the NHL bosses would take any former NHL coach to fill a open spot, no matter how many nhl-bench experienced talent was available or how sad the NHL records were. BB comes up from the minors and wins the Adams, and all of a sudden several 1st timers get the nod... I hope there's only one BB in the bunch...OURS.

Afina -gone - off? I do like a speedy skater, but don't we need D men more? But then my GM experience is pretty slim

Posted by: TheCapitalist | June 20, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

rob,
they just over ran their quota of non-North American athletes and couldn't include Ovie.
Did anybody see the feature on athletes playing hurt? http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/pgStory?contentId=8256134#sport=Golf&photo=8260098
I was thoroughly unamused to see Tiger Woods #1 on the list. However, when they got down to #9, they finally listed a hockey player, then said they could have populated the list only with hockey players and I was less upset. But Tiger? for real? He plays golf. Not saying golf doesn't produce injuries, but give me a break. Make golf a contact sport and then tell me he should be admired for playing hurt. Protect that ACL from an enforcer trying to win the SC for his team and I'll give you props. And you know he probably didn't injure himself playing golf either. He was probably out shooting hoops and playing soccer or something.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Yhis will make games against ATL even better.

Posted by: JAKE | June 20, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Afinigenov (sp?)
last year
56 games, 10 goals, 18 assists, minus 16

Head injury kept him out of 2003 season

Do we need this?

Posted by: NJ | June 20, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

AND WHATS WITH THE MAX RUMORS ? Come on guys we dont need another foward. Afinogenov comming here wouldnt make sense. But I guess ya never know.

Posted by: JAKE | June 20, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Max coming here. That one doesn't make sense (unless Clark is damaged more than we thought).

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Malkin maybe comming to CAPS.

See thats easy to do.

Posted by: JAKE | June 20, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The only reason its possible is because Buffalo will deal him. But to us it doesnt make sense other than the fact he's Russian. That being said I think hed fit in real well here.

Posted by: Pat | June 20, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

yea, they included 3 basketball players as playing through pain, a golfer and a tennis player....

Posted by: rob | June 20, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I need beer for the draft. I'm thinking a stout.

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, FoxSports's FA review had the Caps as the likely destination for Miroslav Satan.

Posted by: tallbear | June 20, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how long it'll take for us to have 20 Russians ready to take the ice. :)

Posted by: keef | June 20, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Just to make it clear, I think signing Satan would be a stupid idea, just giving another example of the crazy stuff being thrown out there.

Posted by: tallbear | June 20, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

This just in, Peter Bondra coming out of retirement to play goal for Washington's ECHL affiliate, the Chattanooga Chomp.

Posted by: Jordan | June 20, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

We all know hockey players are stupid tough - who else would suffer a broken nose and multiple sutures and the come back to score four goals in the SAME GAME? But don't hate on Tiger for what he did. The torque he produces on his left knee with his 135+ MPH swing is insane. To be able to complete at the level he did with NO ACL and multiple stress fractures is nothing short of superhuman. His toughness clearly matches that of an elite hockey player.

Posted by: JB | June 20, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we don't know about the little clause in OV's new contract that states that the Caps have to have at least 6 Russians on their active roster as of the 2008-2009 season (e.g. - Detroit and their Swedes).

OV, Semin, Kozlov, Federov, Afinogenov & Satan.

Posted by: Nils | June 20, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Satan is Czech.

Posted by: Jordan | June 20, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I think having SATAN on the team would be great! Sometimes you need to go to the dark side to win. How many hockey players would sell their soul to the devil to win a cup? If GMGM can sign old Beazlebub, I'd buy season tickets!

Posted by: Leeguru | June 20, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Scratch Satan and add Varlamov

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I would definitely buy a Caps red SATAN jersey if he came to the team. In a heartbeat. I would wear it everywhere.

Posted by: Jordan | June 20, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

If what I'm hearing right now is even half true, it's going to be a HUGE night for the Caps.

Posted by: Scotiabank floor | June 20, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

What number would you get on the Satan jersey Jordan?

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I was trying to figure out which number to get in that case.

If you go with 6, you'll have three of them on the sweater.

Posted by: keef | June 20, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@ Jordan
By bad. Satan is from Slovakia. I guess Satan is not coming to Washington then.

Maybe the Afinogenov deal includes Dmitri Kalinin since we need some "D" help.

Don't you love the speculation and rumors this time of year!

Posted by: Nils | June 20, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

666

Posted by: Leeguru | June 20, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

6 will work. 6 on the left arm, six on the back, 6 on the right arm!

Posted by: Jordan | June 20, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

My fortune cookie today said, "Good news of a long-awaited event will arrive soon." Not sure who I've been waiting for GMGM to draft, but he will! How exciting! I love ambiguous fortunes.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

any rumors swirling around the caps war room or are you not in Ottawa?

Posted by: O-V-P | June 20, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@honed: Yes, I had the same fantasy hockey experience with Afinogenov. He was the worst player on my team. I dumped him via waivers, and no one else would even touch him.

Posted by: norske | June 20, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I am not in Ottawa, but I'm on the case. As for tonight, I would not be shocked if the Caps make a move or two. GMGM has got nine picks, a bunch of prospects (think goalies), a defenseman who doesn't seem to fit into the plans (think initials S.E.) and other chips he can use to pull of a deal to move up or land a roster player. Should be interesting.

Posted by: Tarik | June 20, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

How much time does each team get to make their choice? Let's hope it is not NBA or NFL every 15 minutes, though the NFL moved to 10 minutes this year.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Tarik with the dagger through my heart on the Eminger comment..

Alternate post:

Tark, Milan Jurcina's intials aren't S.E.

Posted by: Jordan | June 20, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think it was Sean Erskine. I could be wrong... :-D

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@5:31PM, whatever it is, it's way too long for a prime-time draft. Thanks a lot, Gary, you stink.

Posted by: tallbear | June 20, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

We need a new thread here so that we can agonize the remaning 19 minutes away with something.

Well, 19 minutes and 2 hours, most likely, until the Caps pick, anyway.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 20, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

15 minutes!!!!!! i'm psyched!
i like all the rounds consecutively 4 the record.

Posted by: oo7 | June 20, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Not having NHL Network kinda sucks. I get to watch Strongman Competitions until draft time.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what Chief is doing to prepare. Getting all oiled up, staring at his Fathead of GMGM....

Posted by: Leeguru | June 20, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

you want a new thread, huh? i'll post one after the first pick.

Posted by: Tarik | June 20, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

yay!!!! no more strongmen! Draft Time!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

My long awaited event would be news that Huet has signed. I love BJ, but we need a number one goalie to do anything past April next season.

Plus I will not have to live in fear worrying about who we would end up with.

Posted by: Kim | June 20, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Come on GMGM, make us proud and piss off Chief!

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I love how he manages to grin through the boos.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Who is more hated, Bettman or David Stern?

Posted by: Leeguru | June 20, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

2 relatively large trades already made...this should be fun!

Posted by: Jeff | June 20, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

That's a tough one Lee.

So long to Jokinen, have fun out West.

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I love BJ too.

Posted by: AO | June 20, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

new thread!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

680 the Fan lauds the Thrasher pick for a new head coach. I think it's a good move for them as well.

Andersen coached his own system for a very well run Chicago affiliate. He was rewarded this year with a Calder Cup.

Coach was popular with his fans and his players. And, he's made big impression on Atlanta superstar, Ilya Kovalchuk.

It's going to be a dog fight in 08-09!

Posted by: Terptwin | June 20, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I Say that if the Caps get afinogenov then they should take every russian in the league, loss everyone who isnt russian, rebuild the red army team!!! Then have a team full of americans defeat them again this time for the Stanley Cup and MAXIM AFINOGENOV will be traded for rookie of the Year Finalist Nicklas Backstrom...THE END

Posted by: jk | June 25, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

ARE U HIGH OR JUST INCREDIBLY STUPID???i SEE HOW U THINK BACKSTROM A GOOD FIT FOR BUFFALO BC HES YOUNG AND TALENTED AND FAST AND HOW AFINOGENOV OF DOES BETTER WITH A TON OF BIG NAME PEOPLE TO TAKE OFF SOME PRESSURE BUT ALL THAT STUFF OF RELIVING MIRACLE WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

litsen up you jerks max isnt going anywhere he is staying on the sabres 4 life he is our russian so back off caps and caps fans you jerks dont need another great russian u have ovechkin and that is ENOUGH talent ov is the best in the nhl so you will see max in blue and gold for a while max belongs in buffalo bye scumbags thats why the caps didnt even make it to the 2nd round in the playoffs and havent even been in the playoffs for about 50 years lol thats pretty sad.

Posted by: Rachael | June 28, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse