Jay Beagle, Andrew Gordon and Mathieu Perreault assigned to Hershey

The Capitals have reassigned forwards Jay Beagle, Andrew Gordon and Mathieu Perreault to Hershey. Of the three, only Gordon must clear waivers at noon Wednesday in order to join the Bears.

Marcus Johansson, Matt Hendricks along with Brian Fahey and Dany Sabourin are all out on the ice for practice this morning. While goaltender Semyon Varlamov and defenseman John Carlson, who were both being held out of practice and preseason games for precautionary reasons last week, are participating in the skate as well.

More to come.

By Katie Carrera  | October 5, 2010; 10:35 AM ET
Categories:  Andrew Gordon, Dany Sabourin, Jay Beagle, John Carlson, Marcus Johansson, Mathieu Perreault, Matt Hendricks, Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps roster cuts around the corner
Next: Boudreau: Johansson has 'more defensive upside' than Perreault

Comments

Poor MP...good news for MJ!

Posted by: capscoach | October 5, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

wow...

so we are going into the year with 3 Euros at Center...

I like JOhannson, and Hendricks...glad they are still here. But Perrault is better than Fleishman..RIGHT NOW!

BUT..I give it 2-3 games and B Gordon will be hurt and out for awhile so MP will be back up.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | October 5, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

if B Gordon gets hurt, Im not sure they call anyone up. They kept 14 F's.

Posted by: ThePat | October 5, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

My guess is that the re-assigned MP because thats one less guy that would have to clear waivers while they wait for changes to be made in order to make room for him. They can call him up without issues.

Would A Gordon have to pass through re-entry waivers if called up or is his salary too low? Hope he clears waivers.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 5, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Not cool.

Posted by: ATOMIX1 | October 5, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

So Hendricks beat out AGordon(I took it as they were fighting for the last spot as a winger). Wow.

MJ beating out MP doesn't shock me, especially if MJ would have gone to Sweden if he was sent down to the AHL.

Beagle was going to be sent down because of his lack of having to go through waivers.

I wonder if AGordon will get claimed. Most teams do not have many roster sports open. It will be interesting to see.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Sucks for MP...agree he is a better center than Flash...we still need a second line center...ugh...big question mark entering the season. Almost there...drop the real puck already!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 5, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Also, of the 6 ish teams that are over their cap space still, they have about 4 hours left if they intend to attempt to send guys down. Waiver deadline is 3 pm...otherwise people will be trading. Should be an interesting day today.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 5, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Good for Johansson. Thought Perreault would get the spot on the roster but there really were no bad choices with how these guys had been playing. We'll see if Fleichmann plays well enough to keep his spot. Hope they're spending the whole week with Johansson working on faceoffs. Only part of his game that clearly needs work.

Posted by: Stu_c | October 5, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Apparently Varly off the ice already....great.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 5, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

a.gordon is gone would be my guess

Posted by: _stevo | October 5, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

No, AGordon does not have to pass thorugh re-entry waiver because he has a two-way contract with his AHL salary being less than $105,000.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The only hope of Andrew Gordon passing through waivers is a bunch of players will be put on the waiver wire today. He'd have a starting role on probably at least 25 NHL teams so my guess is he does get picked up.

Posted by: ThePat | October 5, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Now is when the 13,248 lineup predictions/suggestions made on these boards the last few weeks becomes irrelevant.

Quick, we've got time for about 4,100 more before opening day.

I'm trying to think of a way for Flash to be more palatable to fans. If he's playing wing, that automatically makes him more palatable. If he plays on a line with semi-capable defensive players, that makes him more palatable.

So here's #1 out of 4,100...

Ovi/Back/Knub
Sem/MJ/Fehr
Chim/Laich/Flash
#4: Brads and whoever else

Posted by: struggler | October 5, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

MJ gets a look at beginning of season, MP does not have to worry about waivers so he goes down while Hendricks gets to sit in press box with Sloan. Not good if Gordon or Beagle had to sit instead of playing in Hershey. Hope Gordon does not get claimed but he may.

Varly, really, hurt again. I know he's shown flashes but dear lord he can't stay healthy. Looks like Danny will backup Neuvy as this is now Neuvy's gig to lose. Let the season begin, 30-40 games to see how things play out then look at making moves.

Posted by: flee001 | October 5, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

MJ as the opening night 3rd line center? Or is it going to be Stecks or BGordo? No way Flash and Laich go to the third line.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 5, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Not sure what else MP could have done and MJ had indicated he would NOT go back to Sweden. I'd take either of them over Flash.....

Posted by: vafan3 | October 5, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

My guess would be that MJ will be 3rd line center. I don't think the Caps would want to keep him on the roster if he wasn't going to play.

Who actually plays on the 4th line will be interesting with King/Hendricks/Steckel/BGordon likely battling for two spots. Bradley, when healthy, will almost always be the RW.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I wish I was happy about this,while I know there was no bad choice here I think that MP would be the better choice but MJ has a teacher in Backie. I hope MP makes it back up when GMGM trades Flash later in the year for the stay at home d man. Your days are numbered flash start packing.

Shout out to section 115

DROP THE PUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | October 5, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

It is pretty calm on here so far. I was expecting a much bigger blow-up with AGordon getting sent down.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

@struggler

Im digging those combos. But I see BB doing this...
Ovi/Backs/Knubs
Laich/Flush/Semin
Chim/MJ/Fehr
Brads/Stecks/Gordo/King/Hendricks

there's #2, although I prefer the #1

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 5, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

There's got to be a way to lose steckel!

Posted by: capscoach | October 5, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Flash is going to stay with the Caps until and if he gets traded. If the Caps put him on waivers, he will grabbed with the Caps having to pick up 1/2 his salary. This is a bad scenario because the Caps get nothing in return for a 20+ goal scorer who has only a 1 year, reasonable price contract. Flash has to play at least as trade bait. And yeah, it would be reentry waivers where the Caps get stuck with 1/2 his contract, but still losing Flash for nothing is bad team management.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 5, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry MP! You certainly couldn't have done anything more to prove your worth up with the big club. I hope you'll be back soon wearing 85 in the red. :(

Posted by: j3rockstar | October 5, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

8-19-22
21-14-28
26-90-16
25-39-10

I think Boyd and DJ start off in the press box.

Posted by: ThePat | October 5, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3
----
Um, WHAT???

I've been reading CI for the whole summer and have yet to read that AGordon does not have to go through waivers.

Are you 100% positively dead sure SGM3?

if yes, I feel better about Hendricks making the team since we won't have to lose AGordon.

Poor MP8.5, what does he have to do to make the big-time? *sigh*

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 5, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Are you 100% positively dead sure SGM3?

Poor MP8.5, what does he have to do to make the big-time? *sigh*

Posted by: FrankM73

AGordon has to go through waivers on the way down, but not re-entry waivers if he is called up.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

per Vogel... AGordon has to pass through waivers. I don't think he'll make it!

"Three or four autumns ago, players like Jay Beagle, Andrew Gordon and Mathieu Perreault likely would have cracked the Caps’ roster on the basis of the training camp performances they put together over the the last three weeks.

Despite their best efforts and despite strong pre-season performances by all three, the trio of two-time Calder Cup champions area headed back to AHL Hershey, at least for the start of the 2010-11 season. And in Gordon’s case, only in the event that he passes through waivers."

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 5, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@ ThePat if anyone on the D has to be in the press box and we know someone will be it should be Sloan, he can start packing with Flush.

Posted by: bqts | October 5, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I agree, MJ at #2 center is a long shot.

The reason I see it as a possibility is that he is projected by the organization to be the "#2 Center of the Future." Flash isn't. MP isn't.

It behooves the team to go ahead and test the waters right now to see if he can handle it over the next few weeks.

Posted by: struggler | October 5, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@Frank

Andrew has to go through waivers now. TO be called back up to the big club, if he doesnt get claimed, he apparently does not have to go through re-entry waivers.

Posted by: ThePat | October 5, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3
----
my bad sgm3! I read that you were saying he did not have to go through any waivers at all... my bad!

I fear the Pens will claim him, just like Bourque... or at least another team will given the caps 121 point success of last season!

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 5, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I was personally hoping MJ would be 2C & MP 3C. I think the big thing here is Flash is probably a better 2C today. The problem that creates though is if MJ was a 2C today he would be a better 2C by xmas than Flash would be. But maybe you let MJ get his feet wet at 3C then come xmas or whatever you move Flash (if he isn't producing) and move MJ up to 2C.

I think the biggest thing of all is we have a lot of options. We have available contracts to offer, we have cap space & we have a loooong time to the trade deadline and nobody that we would trade has a NTC anymore. It's all about flexibility.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 5, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"I think Hendricks gets the nod on the 3rd line left wing to start. You ask why? Bc he can play Center and take faceoffs in case MaJo is struggling in that area. Let Hendricks take the faceoffs and then slide out to wing."

Interesting. That does make sense.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

if someone claims AG, there will be at least one similar player on the waiver list for the other teams you should be able to make a claim on. If they wanted to. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Most teams don't have a lot of room this time of the yr to be putting in waiver claims. And you'd have to really make it worth your while because then maybe McPhee trains his crosshairs on that org for future waiver pickups. I'd say the odds of AG getting picked up are an even 50-50

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@Capscoach: Lose Steckel? You mean Gordo. Let's compare on several key categories:

Category : Winner
Size: Stecks
Faceoffs: Stecks
Offensive Play: Stecks
Defensive Play: Even

Why would you want Gordo over Stecks?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Relax gang - this could really become good news. Injuries are a fact of life in the NHL. Plus, 1 or 2 players might falter. The Caps now have Beagle, MP, and maybe A. Gordon available for a quick call-up and all 3 will be getting lots more ice time in Hershey than they might have in DC. Great insurance I say!

Posted by: barney13 | October 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the D, both Carlson and Green are apparently still banged up. That is why Brian Fahey hasn't been sent down yet. Same thing with Varly, Danny is still up here as well. Varly probably starts the year on IR, just a guess. And one of the D could be as well.

Posted by: ThePat | October 5, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@oldtime

gordo is a good faceoff guy...offense on the 4th line is not a priority. We need good PKers, and they are not even on D. the only reason I hesitate at gordo...only b/c of injury. Also...lets remember that Gordo was WAY better in the playoffs.

Posted by: capscoach | October 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

SO sad about AG!!! I highly doubt he makes it through waivers. I think he deserves his chance and will get it somewhere, just super bummed its not here

Posted by: ecmPC09 | October 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

MP is a better center than flash, however Flash has a lot more talent than MP in general. In the preseason I really didn't see either making defensive plays necessary to center at the nhl but I would still much rather have flash at wing.

Posted by: breaklance | October 5, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

@oldtimehockey

You forgot to mention speed and quickness. Not strong points for Steckel.

I think one of those two can, and probably should go. Steckel also makes $300k more and is signed for one more year at that salary. Getting rid of that salary is also another benefit of getting rid of Steckel.

But he is here and I just hope he can regain his 2009 playoff self. If he can, that would be a big boost for the Caps.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Yea, Steckel is such a winner that he couldn't even stay on the ice during the 1st rd of the playoffs.

Size means nothing if you don't use it fully. He gets rubbed off the puck in open ice or along the boards by midgets. I don't care what his hit total was. He's soft.

Winning faceoffs is overrated. That's his single NHL-caliber skill.

Steckel is better offensively than nobody. He has hands of stone, no playmaking skill and is slower than molasses. I'd actually give the slight edge to Gordon in this area. If not, they're even.

Steckel is horrible defensively. Absolutely horrible, particularly on the PK. He's slow, soft and doesn't use his stick effectively. Again, I'd give a slight advantage to Gordon here because of his better mobility. If not, they're even.

If it were feasible, I'd replace both Gordon and Steckel with options in Hershey or other readily availabe types.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Speed: gordon

Posted by: GFisher1 | October 5, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@oldtime

Posted by: capscoach

Steckel at his best is better than Gordo at his best. The question is, can STeck regain form from 2 yrs ago.

When we had issues at 2nd line center and Nylander wasn't cutting it, they promoted Gordo to 2nd line center. He couldn't do squat with the promotion. When they bumped Steck up to 2nd line center briefly, it paid immediate dividends. He was able to get some type of forecheck going and the 2nd line started getting some scoring chances off it.

Gordo is better on the wing but Steckel (at his best) is better at center. On any line. And he offers us size, which we lack at the center position. And steck is more durable. The reason Gordo was way better in the playoffs was STeckel was playing on the wing and looked terrible. And last yr he didn't skate as well as he did the previous 2 yrs for whatever reason.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Flash does not have a lot more talent than MP by any stretch of the imagination. MP is highly skilled in terms of stick-handling and vision. He's just small.

Then again, so is Flash, in effectual terms.

I'd have no problem replacing Flash with MP right now but until Flash prove himself out of nowhere (unlikely) or is traded, a better player has to wait in the wings.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Its only a matter of time until Flash is traded. GMGM will either 1. find someone who need or wants or 2. use him as part of a trade package. As tmac2yao said it is onlt a matter of time until MP is back.

Is it Saturday yet ?

DROP THE PUCK !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | October 5, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

---------

I havent' seen that.
He's been very effective in the past using his body. And on a team where not many forwards like to grind it out, Steckel has been one of the top 3 or 4 forwards willing to consistently grind it out. He's not a scrapper but I wouldn't consider him soft. He finishes his checks and he's always picking up his man defensively. I'd be ok if Hendricks took over his position. But not Gordo. 2 yrs ago he was dynamite in the playoffs and a lot of that was his effective use of the body.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Do you think Sloan has to call dibs on his favorite chair in the press box, or is just assumed "hey, that's Sloan's chair...pick another".

The Press Box
A mini play, by SeminAllOverTheIce

Sloan: Hey Gordo, will you snag me some popcorn while you are up
B Gordon: Sure thing Tyler. Here ya go.
Sloan: Thanks buddy, you're #1 in my book.
B Gordon: You were right, you can totally see the game better from up here and it's warmer. As an added bonus, with the back rest on this chair, my back doesnt get tired like it did on the bench.
Sloan: I know right, and can you believe they are paying us to do this. (laughs aloud) I make $8536 per game I watch and you make $9756 per game.
B Gordon: You know some people actually have to pay to watch our team play?
Sloan: Of course I do, thats why during Fan Appreciation Week, I cash out one paycheck per game at the bank, get it in all $1's and then "Make It Rain" all over the 400 level sections below us.
B Gordon: Now that's an idea...I'll have to join you.
Flash: Dang it, were out of hot dogs up here again. Now I have to go down a level and get some from the concession stand.
Sloan: At least nobody will hassle you for autographs..
Flash: oooooooooh you

(they all laugh)

-end scene

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

@ SeminAllOverTheIce

EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

DROP THE PUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | October 5, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Yea, I know your take on Steckel, cstanton. It's an area where we see things very differently.

I see him getting rubbed off the puck with amazing ease consistently. My guess is that he has poor core and lower body strength and athleticism.

I just don't feel that he does anything well enough beyond winning faceoffs, which may or may not be an overrated aspect of the game.

I saw you talking about the need to pressure the points on the PK a few weeks ago. Steckel is the king of being awful at this because of his lack of quickness and ability to change directions. He also doesn't use his stick well, either to free the puck or clear it.

For his size and lack of secondary skills, he's simply not physical enough in every sense.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton

but if we don't know why stecks fell off the radar...should we assume he is going to be able to get back on?

Posted by: capscoach | October 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao

for sure his lack of speed works against him. And it takes him a while to get going when he's stopped. At the AHL level he was a dynamite PKer. And was able to put a lot of pressure on the point AND use his stick very effectively to break up passes and come in on breakaways. There were some critical 5 on 3 PPs against Hershey where Steck just dominated the ice. I wonder as he got stronger, if he also got a tad slower..

I'll be willing to jump off the STeck bandwagon if he looks slow again this yr like he did last yr. But to give up on him now, before we see if last yr was an aberration, I'm not willing to do that yet. Partly because of his performance 2 yrs ago, and partly because we're going into the season with Flash and MaJo as our 2nd and 3rd line centers. Neither of whom are able to even get to Steckel's allegedly soft play along the boards.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton

Posted by: capscoach

i don't know what you mean exactly but i don't think he got screwed in any way except for having to play the wing. He's never played the wing and he's not suited for it. To go into a playoff game on the wing just seems like an insanely dumb decision by Boudreau. Unless he just wanted depth at center defensively in the lineup.

Steckel quite frankly didn't play as well last yr as he should have and Gordo did look pretty good in the playoffs. But, if we'd faced a bigger team, I think you'd see Steckel back in there. Ditto Erskine on D.

Forget about replacing Steck with Gordo though. Not unless you have a chiropracter shadowing Gordo with vials of demerol ready to be injected. He's a total liability healthwise.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Yea, let's see what Steckel can do this year as long as he's on the team. The past is the past. I can't say that I have a lot of optimism but it's a new year.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

A. Gordon is going to get claimed off waivers. Not the smartest move by McPhee.

Posted by: pga6 | October 5, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh...it feels like Christmas. There a crisp in the air, the Skins & Terps both won and we get two Caps games this week. My favorite time of the year.

Posted by: jimc93 | October 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

and look at the other teams in the nhl. Most of them employ a very scrappy player at the 4th line center position

Jamal Mayers
Colin Fraser
Adam Burish
Rod Pelley/Adam Mair
ZSmith/CBass
Sutter (maybe 2 of em)
Hodgson/Bolduc
Thorburn/Cormier
Voros/Carter
Mike Brown
BBoyle
Lappy
------

The only player that really matches that abrasiveness is Hendricks. Steckel being the next option. Gordo a distant 3rd.

There isn't a center in the NHL who plays on the 4th line that I can recall in recent memory who is less physical than Boyd Gordon. (unless he played on the Caps under Bruce Cassidy). The closest player to BGordo to occupy a 4th line center position was Todd Marchant but I'd say even he was more tenacious. Just not very strong on his skates.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

pga6,

Who would you have rather seen waived?

Posted by: Steve_R | October 5, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

That is because I have been in a meeting all morning!! I will repeat what I said yesterday, AGordon will get claimed off waivers and WILL be an outstanding third line energy player and we fans will look back and say a terrible move. Absolutely one of the stupidist moves ever, waive Steckel (overpaid), waive BGordon (injury prone), Trade that worthless Flash as he has no spot open on this team. Complete and utter horse $hit!!!

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Agreed PhilR, never a truer word spoken about Flush now

DROP THE PUCK !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | October 5, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Folks my phone is blowing up! Today is gonna be a very very active day. Maltby is on waivers from Detroit.

As a side note I did hear that the Caps were/are considering waiving Gordo.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 5, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 5, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Maltby needs to retire already.

i still say 50/50 on AGordo. For no other reason but that other teams are also squeezed on their rosters. He's definitely more than a worthy waiver wire pickup and i agree, his upside is of a high energy 3rd liner and also a PP guy because his bread and butter is working down low, and using quick hands and his strength in the crease.

Poor roster planning by GM has created a situation where we have to try and sneak AG thru waivers.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Tom Sestito (CBJ)
Ben Guite (CBJ)
Dustin Kohn (NYI)
Mark Mancari (BUF)
Marc-Andre Gragnani (BUF)

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Ben Guite is a good 4th line center as well. He just got a late start on things and is a bit older than you'd like. He's 32. But very strong on his skates and pretty hardnosed player.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

weren't these the same people crying about Borque getting sent down and claimed? he came right back after failing in the nhl. gordon isn't quite ready yet. I would take the advice of GMGM who has put together one hell of a team I'm proud to call my own.

section 412

Posted by: donkey1 | October 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely can not believe that there was more hate and detest on this board last year for the waiving of Bourque than there is on AGordon. Bourque never had a place on this team as the Caps are stacked at the top two lines, the bottom two lines where AGordon fits however are just weak as he!!. If I have to rant alone I will but this is just a horrible move when there were so many other options that would have opened a slot.

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

You guys are so funny...

1) SEMINALLOVERTHEICE....you forgot the B Gordon injury when he was getting the popcorn.

2) If A Gordon was all that, he would have been a no brainer. I mean come on...the guy will never be a Eric Fehr...and Fehr will be this years Fleishman.

A Gordon will be nothing but a Chris Bourque. Or an Alexander Giroux.

3) I am happy Holtby will be getting all the work in Hershey now that Varly the Chinadoll is hurt again.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY....what happened to "the new look tough Capitals" if they aren't planning on dressing King every night.

Bradley needs to be on the bench...as a coach.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | October 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"I'd love to sit down with McPhee and watch any SC finals game from the past several years and hear why he thinks that this team, as currently constructed, can collectively compete at that level."

He must either think that physical play is some type of sideshow or he has blinders on and thinks his team as constructed plays with similar intensity.

"I don't think enough moves can be made at one trade deadline to turn this into a team that can make a deep playoff run."

More importantly, the moves will never be made if the GM doesn't feel they are necessary. I have never once heard the current management or coaching staff express a desire for this team to significantly upgrade its physical game. They don't see it as an issue.

"I was re-watching Game 2 of the SC finals last night and it was scary to think how far we are, as a total group, from being able to play that kind of hockey. The same goes for a lot of other playoff and finals games from recent years.
We just lack enough hard-nosed, gritty players with the kind of motor it takes to be effective in the defensive zone and win puck battles all over the ice. It has nothing to do with skill. It's the lack of toughness, mentally and physically."

I see little comparison between the Caps and the teams you see making it to the Finals. Huge disparity in physical play and intensity. Their talent alone makes them competitive to an extent. But on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the level of intensity you see from the best playoff teams, the Caps are about a 3 or a 4.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I blame you for all the lunatics who post here...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 5, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Matt Pelech... a huge dude drafted right after Finley (I think) who people wanted a while ago. And yet, patience in not making a trade for the sake of making a trade pays off.

Posted by: GFisher1 | October 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface,

Do tell some of the rumors you are hearing by phone. I need something to improve my mood.

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@thePat - >

I'm not so sure - I'll bet better players than him were waived today. Still, I agree that it makes perfect sense to keep Johannson up now - he'll get a taste, it'll make it harder for him to go to Sweden but if he does go, it'll be because he's not ready. Then they can call MP up. As for Flash, he's a good player and I'm sure they'd move him for the right deal, but you can't trade someone who doesn't play.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 5, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

I am pissed that they waived Andrew Gordon as well. Its just that type of day here at work where I dont want to get into back and forth rants with people on here.

Posted by: ThePat | October 5, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Phil, waive who instead of A Gordon?

Posted by: Steve_R | October 5, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I blame you for all the lunatics who post here...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr

now thats crazy talk.

You raise the blade, you make the change, you rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1, @thePat, @Philr

re: Steckel

I get the impression he was a better-than-decent offensive player at the university level. He'll never do that at the NHL level but he's just not quick enough to defend well which is his primary job.

BTW, I did like the lines thePat put up with Chimera on the fourth and Hendricks on the 3rd with MJ. Hendricks takes the faceoffs,etc. Problem is MJ will have to do 3 circles each time he skates up ice so that Fehr and Hendricks can catch up to him. This makes Chimera's PK role crucial. He's fast. Is he quick? Good on the boards? I just don't remember...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 5, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely happy that Hendricks made the team but there could have, and should have been room for AGordon as well. In about two weeks we will hear that BGordon blew his back out picking up the morning paper off the front porch. Back injuries do not just go away.

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR
----
just for the record, I detested Bourque getting waivered because they had told him he was going to start the season on the team in Boston AND they was put on waivers... so it was more of a shocker than a Bourque should have made the team!

For AGordon, I've been on the record as pulling for his allllll summer, and hope to high heaven he clears. If he gets claimed, he will bite GMGM's rep right in the gluteous minimus to the tune of a FT gig at the NHL with good 3rd line production...

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 5, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

yeah matt pelech is another intriguing player. He's been among the final cuts 2 yrs in a row now. Big tough defensive dman kinda guy. If we didn't already have Erskine occupying that spot I'd take a run at Pelech.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Phil, waive who instead of A Gordon?

Posted by: Steve_R

As I stated earlier.....Steckel who is slow and over paid and BGordon who is injury prone.

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

It seems that AGordon did not make the roster because he got beat out by Hendricks.

I give Hendricks credit for playing well enough to make the team and I also give credit to GMGM for keeping a guy brought in on a tryout over his own draft pick.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Carlson must be ok, Fahey was just assigned to Hershey.

Posted by: NatyPete | October 5, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 |

As I stated earlier there should have been room for both of them on the team by removing dead weight.

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

was never a chris bourque fan either at Hershey or in the NHL. So it didn't bug me one bit when the Pens picked him up. I never looked at CB as an nhler with any upside. Gone are the days of blake sloan types. And CB doesn't have half the heart of a Sloan.

"This makes Chimera's PK role crucial. He's fast. Is he quick? Good on the boards? I just don't remember..."

Posted by: RedLitYogi

I hate Chimera. I think he's a powderpuff poser of a player. And he's about as effective along the boards as was James Black. But yes, he's got very good speed. But if I was going into a hostile bldg and I had an option of choosing my 3rd and 4th liners, Chimmy gets picked last.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Flash - I'd like to see him and Backs exchange 1C and 2C duties. Crazy? (Probably.) But this ups Flash's point totals (makes him better trade-bait) and Semin's (the same should that be necessary). True, Ovie and Knubs have scant defensive talents but the deterrent effect has always worked with #8. That top line keeps the other team back on its heels so at no time does its defensive weaknesses signify all that much. Flash+Semin we know is a pretty good combo when they actually have the puck - their problem is retrieving said puck once lost.
I haven't heard of Laich getting any 3C time so I think he's the fixture at 2C LW for now. I can see - easily - that MJ will rotate in and out with other centers. And I do think MP plays significant chunks of time up here. If AG is as good as some people here think (I'm ignorant - he's just some column space in blogs I read so far) then he gets time up here, also.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Phil, you want to waive 2 C's and keep a winger? That makes Hendricks the 4th line C. And if a center then gets hurt, the Caps have to recall from the AHL as there's nobody left in DC to play that position. If B Gordon or Stecks cleared waivers on the way down, now you risk them getting claimed on the way up.

Don't you think it's a good idea to keep around some guys that can play wing and C?

Posted by: Steve_R | October 5, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR
----
THIS!

Steckel no longer fits this team due to his lack of speed compared to the team's speed! being great at faceoffs shouldn't guarantee you a spot! His recent 1.1 mil contract extension was the reason.

Also:
Agreed regarding kudos to GMGM for waiving AGordon (his draft pick) over Hendricks (a recent signing) if management really thought Hendricks earned a spot!

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 5, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I'll try to sum up a long post from last night, that nobody read, into a shorter one today:

90% of these boards are filled with arguments about the types of players needed to get this team over the hump. Hours and hours of debate and opinions. The argument being put forward is that this team cannot win it all ON TALENT ALONE.

I AGREE that we could use a big mean Dman and some true grit on the bottom two lines.

However, none of it really matters. This team has systemic problems (lack of defense-by-committee, lack of personal responsibility). All of you seem to be arguing that the addition of two or three players will get this team over the hump, based on THEIR TALENT ALONE.

Just say in the best-case imaginary scenario that we brought in Pronger, Madden... who cares, just pick your favorite three best-case-scenario players. What evidence do we have that they would not be infected with the same systemic cancer that everybody else on this team is infected with? What evidence do we have that their defensive talents, standing on their own, will automatically make up for the shortcomings of every other player on the roster?

This team DESTROYED the competition in the regular season last year based on talent alone. The solution isn't overhauling the roster, it is changing the system. A team capable of putting up that kind of record against the elite teams of the NHL should be able to make massive strides in the postseason without any roster changes, so long as they are playing a defensively sound game.

Not saying I don't want player tweaks. Not saying I don't want certain players traded. Just saying I think most of this chatter is irrelevant.

Posted by: struggler | October 5, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

B Gordon is an awful player. Has always been an awful player. He should have been waived.

I don't think A Gordon is all that special either. I think they should have kept Perrault. He has worked hard and played well. You need to reward that.

I think we have at most 5 quality d-men on the team. That is if Alzner can bring his play up. They should trade Flash for a quality d-man. We need one.

Posted by: atomicfront | October 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

>>If GMGM was all about self-promotion he surely would have kept his own draft picks on the roster over a guy in on tryout. Sending down players he drafted makes GMGM look like a worse drafter. That surely is not the type of move a self-promoting GM would make.

well said, though I think he knows winning is all that matters. I agree overall with many the team needs grit, but I think I've seen the compete level for both Semin and Backstrom has been pretty high in the playoffs. Semin was getting whacked around pretty good in the Mtl and Pittsburgh series and at no time did he stop going into traffic or creating (against Pens he had a broken thumb so not effective, more of a decoy). Against Philly in playoffs he was great, scoring, taking hits, giving hits, etc. Flash, I think, lacks technique - yes technique - in how he handles physical play and checking. He sets himself up to get bumped off pucks because he's technically not paying attention to that part of the game. He tries, he just doesn't do it correctly...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 5, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Expect MJ to jump to #2 center at some point. He is an upgrade both in his vision/passing and his defensive play. That leaves MP available for #3 center and Flash back at wing and we are significantly improved over last year. We are more physical to a point with Hendricks, King and a healthy improved Fehr who has the hands to become a great garbage man in front of the net. Would love to see Fehrsy scooping up Semin's rebounds but he probably won't make second line since he's not as fast as Laich.

Seems were moving in the right directions even if were not there yet.

Posted by: congero | October 5, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve_R

IMO, there are two NHL ready centers down in Hershey who make less in Beagle and MP. Beagle would be a good 4th line center although many will say that would put too many youngsters on the roster. If you want to keep one of either Steckel or BGordon I would say to keep Steckel simply because of BGordon has shown he can not stay healthy. But to say there are no other centers available is slightly off IMO. Either way by getting rid of one AGordon has a slot.

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Right people, teams are putting great players out there on waivers. Right! That's why they're on waivers! You people b!tched and complained when CBourque was claimed by Pitt and wanted GMGM's head then we got him back and not even a whimper. He!! some of you didn't even know we got him back a month after we had reclaimed him off waivers from Pitt! How's that worked out? Where is he playing again? Oh yeah with a bunch of old timers holding AARP cards.

Now A Gordon is the poster boy getting waived. Let me guess we're not gonna win the Cup this yr w/o him in the lineup? I knew it. We're doomed! How will we ever rebuild if we lose A Gordon? Really people?

Poor poor planning by GMGM. Gosh he just doesn't have a clue does he folks? How embarassing for some of you.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 5, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@atomicdfront - agreed on the D. I'm thinking "5" is optimistic. The D collectively has trouble with quick forwards - they kill us because of our slow footspeed back there.

@congero - that sounds great but MJ does play small (he is only 19 - just a kid playing against men). But MJ, MP, and Flash is probably great on certain nights - a team coming in to MCI on a long road trip would get skated off the ice by that speed - but in the playoffs it won't work...Still, if it goes well...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 5, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

--------

yeah you're right. A selfpromoting GM would always keep a mid round pick on his team to make himself look good. It doesn't matter in this town how many draft picks GM blows. He'll never get called on it after the fact so he doesn't care. If AGus is down at the ECHL level with Finley close behind him, I'm sure McPhee could give two shytes about AGordo and if he's claimed or not.

dolt

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208

Ok, let me get this straight.....because we see potential in a player and are upset that he was waived when there are weaker pieces that could have been waived we should be embaraassed?

First of all, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you don't like mine......well, that is just tough. When I see what I perceive as an error by GMGM I will point it out and at the same time if I think he made a good move like keeping Hendricks I will give credit.

Now that I got that off my chest, care to share what rumors you are hearing??!!

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Canucks trade Shane O'Brien to the Preds.

I'm sure Parent's 6 hit performance v the Caps didn't hurt his cause as a potential viable acquisition.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

------------

of course you should be embarassed. You questioned the mighty teflon GM. Nothing sticks to him.

FTR, Poker, don't lump everyone into the Chris Bourque scenario. As far as I'm concerned there's no parallel between CB and AG.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------

Parent has been waived. Anyone have any thoughts on a possible trade with Calgary? Looks like they might have to move a Dman.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 5, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

I dont think Andrew Gordon would have had a major impact on the team this year. But I'd rather have him on the team than lose him. I didn't complain about Borque because I never thought he was an NHL player. I think Andrew Gordon is. Like others I am happy they kept Hendricks. A.Gordon more potential and stays healthy compared to B. Gordon. So I would have liked them to make that swap. Steckel and Hendricks can both play 4C, you don't need 3 guys capable of that on the roster. Thats my opinion and I think it was the toughest decision for GMGM to make. The MaJo over MP was a very easy one for him to make.

Posted by: ThePat | October 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Poor poor planning by GMGM. Gosh he just doesn't have a clue does he folks?

---------

about certain things? no

and yes, its poor planning that he's got a roster logjam where he has to attempt to pass an attractive young player thru waivers. Next

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface,

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------

Phil its been kinda quiet on our front but a couple days ago I heard we were seriously considering putting B Gordon on waivers! GMGM is doing the same thing most other GM's are right now which is talking to the teams that are in cap trouble to see if they can get a deal.

My thought at this point is this is the team we'll start the season with and see what we've got in real competition.

Here's something to chew on for a minute though. I heard that there was an .... what word do I want to say here.... "agreement" that we would give Flash his opportunity at 2C and see how he does. If it works out it works out and if it doesn't then all bets are off for his future here with us. This goes back to his arbitration hearing etc although they never made it. How bout this for a statement:

GMGM: Flash we're only comfortable at this number. If you want more than "x" number then we'll probably have to look elsewhere.

Flash: Ok I'll agree to that number on a 1yr deal but you give me an opportunity to prove myself at 2C.

GMGM: K, but if it doesn't work out then all bets are off.

Flash: K.

I thought that side of the story was a bit interesting on many fronts but that's the way it went down from what I'm told which is why I've been preaching the flexibility part. Flash is motivated and basically knows if he doesn't pull it off at 2C with this team then he's a goner. Think he's motivated? So from GMGM's perspective he's in a win/win. If Flash is motivated and performs it's a win. If he doesn't then you move him and that's a win with the return you'd get for him. And don't pretend that GMGM doesn't know EXACTLY what he'd get in return for Flash RIGHT NOW.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 5, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Cap trades starting up -- neither of these guys are all that interesting, imho. It's just interesting to see gm's trying to maneuver under the cap and an 18th overall Philly blueliner pick not panning out: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336401

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

-------

they signed Nylander#2 yesterday. Think they'd still want Flash?

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

they signed Nylander#2 yesterday. Think they'd still want Flash?

Posted by: cstanton1

They're over the cap. Maybe B. Gordon?

Posted by: ablake70 | October 5, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Opps, I mean Nashville's 2005 18th overall -- he spent most of his career so far with the Flyers organization. Ryan Parent that is. O'Brien is big (230) and has + #'s with Vancouver -- may he have been a nice one to nab??? He was the 7th blueliner, but that was with a stacked Canucks defensive unit.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 5, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

----------------

ehhh? ryan parent was a nashville preds pick, not a Philly pick. Got traded to philly in the forsberg deal and then got sent back in the deal for Hamhuis.

and we sent Osala and a 2nd for Corvo...wow. Genius!

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I have a question. Does anyone know what time guys have to be claimed on waivers before they clear?

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 5, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying A Gordon isn't a good player. I'm not even saying he couldn't help this team in the future but folks he is a brick in the wall. ONE brick. There are a lot of ONE brick players on waivers right now.

Heck I would've liked to see MJ at 2c and MP at 3c. I could care less who is the 4C as long as it isn't Steckel.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 5, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

beat ya to it cs1

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 5, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Check the waiver wire - lots of "names" getting waived:

Cullimore, Andy Hilbert, Maltby, Tim Kennedy, Potulny, Todd White, David Hale, Mark Parrish

Posted by: jeets | October 5, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer

waiver period is 24 hours. So you'll know by noon tomorrow if a player is claimed who they go to. Sometimes word leaks out if a team puts in a claim on a guy, but normally you find out right at noon.

Posted by: ThePat | October 5, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Tambellini as well

Posted by: jeets | October 5, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

--------

he first made his mark when the Ducks minor league team was making a run to the Calder Cup. I think he played forward back then. Or shifted up from defense. He was racking up PIMs and scoring goals in the minors. Then he got a shot under Brian Burke and went back to D. Tampa then got him for a 1st round pick (that some felt was too much for a rebuilding team). And then Vanc picked him up. But he was definitely enemy #1 for a lot of Hershey fans in the 2005-06 season.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Well this is suprising, people here whining about Gordon. Same thing happened last year with Bourque. Moaning and whining like the Caps traded Ovie to Pittsburgh for a ham sandwich. And where is Bourque now? The Pens? Nope. Hershey? Nope. KHL? Nope, he couldn't cut it there either. Maybe with his Swiss team "chuckle" he'll finally catch on. Seems he wasn't the superstar all you experts made him out to be.

Now with Gordon. Please. The Caps are absolutely loaded with guys who can play. SOMEONE was going to have to be cut. Gordon was awful in the preseason game Friday night, I'm suprised he made it through the weekend to be honest. He's a half decent player but nothing overly special. Get a grip people.

Posted by: jollyroger2 | October 5, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

--------

dolt

Posted by: cstanton1

@cstanton1

Did you seriously call me a dolt? Again, please do not respond to my posts.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 |

first of all, there isn't a massive freakout over AG getting put on waivers. Two, no one is saying he's the critical piece of any puzzle. Your comments are just a complete overstatemen of the real reaction to him getting put on waivers. Some of us like him and think he's one of the few viable 3rd line energy prospects we have in the org and would like to see him stay with the Caps until he can crack the lineup. That's IT

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

nevermind I saw it is noon tomorrow.

BTW anyone watching the CBJ preseason game (I know I have too much free time)? One reason I bring it up is former Cap Calle Johansson is one of the two Sweedish announcers. He still looks like he could play. Still remember the empty net goal he scored where he waiting as long as he could before scoring.

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 5, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

No I'm not jollyroger2! LMAO! But we do share the same thoughts here. I however didn't state A Gordon was awful in the preseason though. I didn't see the game so I can't speak about something I didn't see but obviously jollyroger2 did.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 5, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Tim Kennedy was waived. Now he has been waived by two teams this off-season. I thought he was a guaranteed NHL player. Guess not.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, the Corvo for Osala trade, with a 2nd thrown in was terrible. I enjoyed watching Osala in Hershey as a -possible- replacement down the line for an aging first line powerforward (Knuble) or his replacement in place, Fehr. In other words, I thought Osala may have moved up to replace Fehr who would replace Knuble when he gets too old to play. Now, the Caps have traded away a good prospect for nada.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 5, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@tmac - I've said it before I'll say it again, I couldn't agree more about Steckel. Size is irrelevant if you don't use it, and he's simply too slow to cover 90% of the guys he's assigned to cover. And his passing is atrocious for an NHL center, he obviously can't score at the NHL level - there's a talent difference from the A, BB, much as we might wish otherwise - but he doesn't grind nearly enough for a player with his skillset. I don't get it.

I really can't make up my mind about Chimera - some shifts he looks great and others he just disappears, which you'd think would be tough to do when you're big and can skate. [The problem is he may be more 'fast' when hockey's all about 'quick' i.e., speed in tight spaces.] But whatever, he's got no hands and seems to be a liability defensively; not a great attribute for a 3rd or 4th liner.

Posted by: govtimbo | October 5, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Did you seriously call me a dolt? Again, please do not respond to my posts.

Posted by: sgm3

Look cornholio, you like to stick your nose into my posts so expect a response. Who exactly were you responding to when you made your comment about selfpromoting GMs ?

exactly. So even if you don't copy and paste my comments into your reply, you're still responding to my posts.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

how many times was Chris Kunitz waived? At least twice.

Do you consider HIM an NHL player?

keep airing your ignorance SGM. Its like shooting skeet except the pigeons are really flying elephants and I'm using a bazooka.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone here? Where are all the comments? It's awfully quiet...

Posted by: Thisistheyear | October 5, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I just thought it was a good move of GMGM to take a person on a tryout over his own draft picks because the person ont he tryout outplayed the competing draft picks. It was just a compliment to GMGM. Do you honestly feel that everything is directed toward you?

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh man I forgot all about Corvo for Osala, I suddenly don't feel well. Geez was he brutal here - so glad we got our "#1 target on the blue line."

Credit where credit is due on Corvo btw - I distinctly remember one cstanton questioning that move immediately after it was made; I was trying to bite my tongue on GMGM and trying to withhold judgment [a friend and very good player, played Tier II & 4 years D1] told me he thought Corvo looked pretty good - my buddy's still a hell of a hockey player but man oh man did he lead me astray on one Joseph Corvo!

Posted by: govtimbo | October 5, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

another thing about Tim Kennedy. The Sabres wanted to keep him but walked away from the arbitrator's award.

That's not quite the same thing as being "waived".

And I bet you probably didn't even watch Kennedy play, but you're about to dismiss him because the Rangers put him on waivers. And you're ready to say he's not an nhl player when he just played his rookie season last yr and had a very good yr for Buffalo. If a Caps rookie you liked put up 10 goals from the 3rd line in his rookie yr among other things, you'd be frothing at the mouth.

btw, the caps drafted kennedy. Did you know that ? we got MP out of it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 |

baloney. You used the words "Self-serving". That's my word for McPhee. Of course it was directed towards me.

-----
@govtimbo

Posted by: govtimbo |
------

My biggest complaint on Chimera is he disappears when the going gets tough. Like Mike Grier.

On the surface you got 2 big fast powerful bodies who you think would be excellent checking line wingers. Crash and bang, use their speed, etc.

But the truth is, both those guys are jersey-checkers. They'll carefully pick which player to aggressively forecheck and who to stay away from. They're mental wimps and I wouldn't want to go into battle with either one of those 2.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Maltby waived by Detroit -- I did not see that coming. If anyone was a Wing for life, it was Maltby.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I mentally disagreed with a few comments the other day about it being "frowned upon" for teams to claim players off waivers, as if it's some unspoken taboo not to tamper with another team's roster. I had never heard this opinion expressed by any professional commentators. I didn't disagree with the people making this claim here because I didn't feel qualified to disagree.

Today, Yzerman nabbed Ritola from Detroit. If respecting other teams was truly an issue, Yzerman would be the poster child for a GM feeling a sense of responsibility to another team.

This concept of respect simply doesn't make sense. GMs need to do what they can to improve their teams. They would be bad at their jobs if they passed on an opportunity to improve their team just to be nice to other GMs.

Posted by: struggler | October 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

It'll be interesting watching NJD try to get under the cap. Vancouver will also be interesting.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 5, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | October 5, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------
LMAO! Wasn't that the truth! He was exactly what WE & many other teams needed right? Hmmmm.....

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: govtimbo

why do you think i laugh when i hear about the so-called "experts" around the nhl and their evaluations on trades. To a man, every single nhl analyst (which certain fans here used as proof to back up the Corvo argument) gave McPhee mass kudos on the deals.

I don't listen to experts. You watch players, you form your own judgments. The book on Corvo for years has been as a guy who never was good in his own end unless he was paired with a rock solid defensive partner. Was that really who we needed? Or did we actually need that rock-solid defensive partner instead? If we'd advanced past the Habs, we'd really have noticed how bad an acquisition Corvo was. Truth be told, the Habs forwards actually fit the kind of style Corvo can be successful at. Where he uses his speed and skill to match up with smaller forwards.

He'd get killed against a Flyer or Penguin forecheck.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Wait. So let me get this straight. We want to trade a player who was 2-1-3, +2 in 2 games played, and has been in the league for three years, for an NHL rookie who in 5 GP in the pre-season was 1-1-2, even +/-? I thought we wanted more experience at center?

But Perrault is better than Fleishman..RIGHT NOW!

Really? Get a grip. I know some of you hate stats, but the fact is that they do tell part of the tale, and the only possible purpose of deliberately excluding all stats discussion is to cloud your argument in opinion and personal observations, which are themselves subject to perception bias. The stat line in pre-season tells a pretty damning tale. Another part of this tale is that Matty P's as lost in his own end as Flash is. And did everyone in their mad hater rush miss that the 21-14-28 line was really, really good in the games they played, creating scoring chances, buzzing the net, pinning the opponents in their own end?

I love Matty P, but let's not let either hate or love cloud the facts. MoJo and Matty P were directly competing head to head for that center slot. Matty P doesn't PK, something this team sorely needs an upgrade on. MoJo's a solid PK'er and will reduce Steckel's time on the PK. Matty P can skate. So can MoJo, and his strides are longer. MoJo's defensive reliability is ingrained in him - does that sound familiar on a wanted list or two? Yes, Matty P hustles, creates and scores. So does MoJo (4 assists and a +5 in 5 games? Yeesh). McPhee even said according to Twitter today that MoJo is ahead of where Backstrom was when he came into the NHL. What's not to love? As for why keep Hendricks over Matty P for the second slot - isn't it obvious? Hello grit, forecheck, and the ability to play wing or center as required? Plus the kid can score, in case you all forgot.

By keeping MoJo and Hendricks, the team gets the qualities they needed to add to their lineup most: grit, good PK play, and defensive responsibility. I wouldn't be shocked to see MoJo centering Semin by April, and I do loves me some Swedish center / Russian winger combo. It works for Ovi and Nicky, it works for Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Semin's got one of his very own in the wings, and it's a good thing for the Caps.

Besides, it's not like this is forever. Injury call-ups happen all the time, and be assured that Matty P will be among them.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 5, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208

blind leadin the blind.

Poker, I'm starting to question your credibility as any type of 'insider'

I'm officially off your bandwagon.

So when Tim Kennedy finds his way back into the NHL, will you two jokers be around to laugh it up?

Travis Moen and Shawn Thornton were demoted also by the previous regime (preDaleTallon) in Chicago. I wonder if you two have heard of them by any chance? The list of players originally demoted by their parent club or put on waivers contains some decent NHL players. To use that as your litmus test instead of using actual details on why you think they won't be future NHLers just reeks of ignorance. Reeks!

p.s. if i'm not mistaken the Flames exposed Mike Commodore to waivers also before completing a trade with Carolina.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@jollyroger2:

I checked hockeydb.com for Bourque's stats and sure enough there's an asterisk next to his name as not being on the active roster.

Do you know what's the deal with that?

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 5, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Nice Kitty...miss your comments

Posted by: jeets | October 5, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Good post Kitty, I agree.

Posted by: MReilly9 | October 5, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: PhilR | October 5, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
Kittypawz - But Cstanton saw a 15 second video clip of him in the develpmental league and said he wants MJ NOWHERE NEAR the NHL this whole YEAR! You mean there's more than meets the eye than a 15 second video clip?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 5, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Good post Kitty, I agree.

Posted by: MReilly9 | October 5, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

He'd get killed against a Flyer or Penguin forecheck.
------------

That would have been ugly, he struggled against so-so forechecks! Man you called it on Corvo, he must have had one solid d-partner previously was all I kept thinking.

Posted by: govtimbo | October 5, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: struggler

there will always be exceptions to the rule. But I've heard about this politics of waiver wire pickups for a long time now. Its been out there. And Buffalo absolutely was ticked off when the Pens picked up Thorburn in 2006. I'm not saying they're right to feel that way because I agree that GMs should look out for their own team. The concept behind not recklessly picking up players that other teams are trying to pass thru waivers is that at some point you will want desperately to pass a player thru waivers yourself and you'll have to rely on your own reputation around the league to see if teams respect the hands-off policy.

I can't prove it easily but maybe someone else who has been aware of this can back me up.

There was another notable waiver wire pickup involving the Islanders where someone went public over it. I'll have to dig it up.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Here's an article on Bourque's departure from the KHL.

I yanked it from a Pens chat board. There were a couple of funny comments there, like, "Bourque got tired of waiting for his chance in the KHL."

Posted by: struggler | October 5, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Cstanton - you can question whatever you want about me bro. I could care less. I'm not here to prove anything on these boards unlike yourself.

I'm just over you and your "all knowing" attitude about everything hockey. Making statements like you know more than GMGM etc. You don't have a clue bro. Trust me as many barns as I've been in there is always 1 Cstanton so I've seen your type many times my friend. Seems your underwear gets a lil twisted when some of your comments come back to bite ya.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 5, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The Chimera: Mike Grier comparison is interesting, he was another guy where what seemed to jump out at you on paper [size, decent speed, etc.] never quite seemed to match up with what you were witnessing with your own eyes. But if Chimera is what qualifies in a certain GM's eyes as 'grit'...yikes is all I can say.

Posted by: govtimbo | October 5, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1: If you spent as much energy on research and knowledge as you spend on personal attacks, you'd be the best debater in the world. Sadly, the first person in the debate to use personal attack loses the argument. How about stating your own case clearly and giving more detail on why you're right than why someone else is wrong?

Now, to the argument: There isn't a lot of point in pulling a guy off of waivers unless he's a clear and present upgrade over what you have. Let's take the case of Ryan Parent, who I've seen bandied about as a possible pickup. Yes, he can skate better than Erskine. So can Sloan. But like both of them, he makes rookie mistakes and bad turnovers at the blueline. How is that an upgrade over both of them? And if it's not a clear upgrade, then why bother? Sloan at least knows the system and the guys know him.

Don't be tempted to change just to change. Look for clear upgrades, and use the stats as well as your observations to inform your decisions. If you think a guy is a clear upgrade, detail why, and not just why someone else is wrong.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 5, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

excuse me kitty, 90% of what I do here IS regular debate. Where have you been? meow

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 5, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

>>I love Matty P, but let's not let either hate or love cloud the facts.

Sadhu, sadhu, well said. (Still, I'm a little surprised by MJ also but the reasoning sounds good. If he's ahead of where Nicky was in year 1, Nicky year 1 is a big upgrade over most of our centers...)

Re: Tim Kennedy - alas, the salary cap does bring with it unintended consequences, among them the fact that good or decent players who would otherwise certainly be in the league will not, as the top end gets most of the cash.

Re: Corvo - yes NOW the trade looks horrible. But at the time, it was a classic roll-the-dice for the Cup gamble. Corvo was a legit NHL defender who had won a Cup. It remains to be seen if Osala will ever accomplish as much. He was a poor fit in DC and I don't think the trade is made if GMGM knew how good Carlsson would play. Not a GMGM apologist, just sayin'

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 5, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1
You are clearly an intelligent person with better than average hockey knowledge and solid perception skills relating to hockey. Not to mention a solid vocabulary.

But you routinely speak down to other posters whose opinions differ from your own, often times insulting them by either calling them names or questioning their intelligence. This trait is a strong negative counter to the positive traits I mentioned previously.

And while I think you have strong observational skills regarding evaluating players (though I also wonder how much you glean from other sources then claim as your own), your way of stating your opinions as irrefutable facts is off putting and you consistently come across as smug and conceited.

Your obvious desire to belittle those who disagree with you, or have opposing opinions to your own, greatly detracts from your otherwise often astute observations.

I'm not saying don't debate things with folks, but there's no need to resort to degrading comments or name calling. You say you are debating, but a debate denotes civility and respect. What you frequently engage in more often boils down to arguing. Or to be blunt, a p!ssing contest.

These ongoing battles between you and sgm3 and others, is a detraction for a lot of other readers of these comments. State your case and move on.

This is not meant as a personal attack, but merely as feedback and food for thought. Do with it what you will.

Posted by: Hordedog | October 5, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse