Posted at 2:15 PM ET, 12/22/2010

Sidney Crosby congratulated Andrew Gordon on first NHL goal

By Katie Carrera

Andrew Gordon apologized Wednesday morning for tarnishing what is the popular opinion of Sidney Crosby in the Washington metro area, when he called the Penguins' captain a "good guy."

Gordon and Crosby are both natives of Nova Scotia -- Halifax and Cole Harbour, respectively -- and although they're separated by two years in age, because Crosby played up with the 1985 age group, the two were often teammates from about age 10 to 15. They're still friends now, one as the NHL's leading scorer and the other fighting for a spot with the Capitals.

So when Gordon scored his first NHL goal Tuesday night against Martin Brodeur in the Capitals' 5-1 win over the New Jersey Devils, Crosby sent him a text message offering congratulations.

"He's good like that," Gordon said. "As big as he is, he's still got that small-town kid in him. It's nice when you get little things like that. I hate to break all your hearts, but he's a good guy. I don't have a bad thing to say about him, other than that crest on his jersey.

"We played together for Team Nova Scotia for years," Gordon said. "We played together in midget Triple A and then he went to Shattuck St. Mary's and I went up to Notre Dame. We still keep in touch over the summers, we train on ice together in the summers... We keep an eye on each other a little bit, but he's obviously doing great things all the time all winter so I try to let him take care of his own business."

By Katie Carrera  | December 22, 2010; 2:15 PM ET
Categories:  Andrew Gordon, Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau on players in scoring slump: 'It's up to them'
Next: Penguins a 'measuring stick' for Capitals

Comments

For those that suggest Ovi and Backs sit to get their heads straight or to send them a message have to remember that it means the new 1st line, which is typically 2nd line at best, would then be facing the other teams top defenseman. You have to look at the players on the ice for both teams to draw an honest true comparison.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 22, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

See, I don't think any of us ever said Crosby wasn't a good guy.

He's just a Penguin, and that's not his fault.

Nobody's arguing his prowess on the ice, or his "nice guyness" off the ice.

We just hate the jersey.

Posted by: irockthered | December 22, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

The only problem I've very had with Crosby was/is his whining on the ice. I understand it is part of the game to talk to officials but he seems to whine excessively. Him being voted by the players, by a wide margin, the biggest whiner in the NHL is a testament to this.

My problems generally exist with the media treatment of Crosby and not Crosby himself. Damien Cox being an example.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

sgm, I think Galiev is not yet assured a spot on Team Russia for the World Juniors. As I understand the situation, he needs to play well in an exhibition game tomorrow in order to secure a roster spot. See http://www.ohlhockeynews.com/jr-hockey/galiev-to-suit-up-for-russia-in-pre-tournament-game . My impression is that Kuznetsov and Orlov will be on the final roster, but I don't believe that a final roster has been announced.

The World Juniors is a great event. I hope it will be televised like last year. Having Caps draftees playing makes it even better.

Posted by: zmega | December 22, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

Thanks. I must have either received mis-information or misread a previous article.

Hopefully Galiev makes the team. I think that playing in the WJC is good for young prospects. It's the best competition they will face until they come to the pros and it is a high pressure situation they get put in. The more experience in those types of situations the better.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Crosby...BLEEEEACCCCCCHH!

On another note: Anybody notice how that DB Jones on Versus--who is currently ragging on MG52's lack if scoring--is the same DB who ragged on MG52's supposed lack of defensive resposibility in previous seasons!!!

Make up your [expletive deleted] mind, Jones!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 22, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Katie - This is your first unnecessary update you've done. booooooooo

Posted by: guer_j | December 22, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

From previous:

GFisher,

I really wasn't disagreeing with you but pointing out that they have been a major reason for the last two wins. I don't think Perrault is a third line center by any means but putting the other two with say Laich or Knuble would be great lines IMO (Beagle can play wing or center).

Posted by: PhilR |

Posted by: PhilR | December 22, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

If I had to do the lines for tomorrow I would go

1. Ovie/Backstrom/Fehr(must reward Fehr for previous good play on this line)

2. Semin/MP/Knuble(tempted to go Laich over Knuble but that then messes up bottom two lines)

3. Laich/Steckel/Hendricks(the version of the LSB line but with Bradely out. This line plays well against the Pens and Steckel does well against Malkin and is needed for defensive zone draws vs. Crosby. The fact that Steckel is on this line is why Knuble can't be on this line because it just makes the line too slow IMO.)

4. Chimera/MJ/AGordon(they played great last night and should be given another shot. They have good speed and are looking like a good energy line who has the ability to score a few goals too)

I really did not want to take out Beagle but there just isn't a spot for him on the bottom two lines. You need Steckel in there for his play at center.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

This must be Katie's Pens roots rearing its ugly head. Regardless, thanks for the updates. Sid is a nice guy, but he still has to lose at the hands of this team twice in a 9 day span!

Posted by: j3rockstar | December 22, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Jones and Engblom never have anything positive to say about the Caps, period. I'm not sure what Abe did to them during their tenure here but he left a very bad taste in both of their mouths it seems.

Posted by: PhilR | December 22, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

sgm3,

I think I would give Knuble a night off in the near future for his own good, maybe not tomorrow against the Pens though. The guys has looked tired and slow all year to me, maybe a game or two off would put a little skip back in his skates.

Posted by: PhilR | December 22, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

That's it! Get rid of Gordon! This is unacceptable!

But seriously, it's weird to think of him as that close in age to Crosby. And of course, we don't all think Crosby's a bad guy; we just hate him because he's a Pen, he was so hyped even before coming to the NHL, and he helps the Pens be a really good team. I don't think Gordon actually thinks people think Crosby's a bad guy; he's just playing along with the not-so-serious "We hate Crosby and the Pens" rivalry.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | December 22, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

When A.Gordon gets his 1st hat trick tomorrow will Sid text congratulations?

Posted by: chriscaps | December 22, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Trade Gordon lol.

Posted by: caps512 | December 22, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR

I agree with this. Once other Caps start healing I think it would be good to give Knuble some days off here and there to rest. There is no need for him to play 82 games.

But, like you said, he will play in all the games against the Pens(and Flyers, Lightning and Thrashers now too).

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha, Phil

Posted by: GFisher1 | December 22, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

f crosby. dont like, will never like him

Posted by: jerry2178 | December 22, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Crosby comes off very smug and arrogant to me. Has no problem taking undeserved credit and offers rare praise to others. He also has that face that I just want to punch...cant explain it, it just has that "it" factor. And yes he is a whiner. "Uhhh, I just thought it was a bit annoying that the fans threw so many hats on the ice when Ovie scored his hat trick".

Great player, total D-bag. Eat it Crosby. I hope Ovie gives you the Olympic Jagr treatment.

And now on to you Mr. AG. " I hate to break all your hearts, but he's a good guy. I don't have a bad thing to say about him, ". Well I hate to break it to you sir, I checked the NASDAQ and the AG stock just went down 2 pts. lol I hope the boys haze him good for this comment. =)

P.S. Good game last night AG...keep it up.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 22, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

some of guys sound like a bunch of babies. The Crysbaby thing is getting a bit old.

Posted by: MNMNT | December 22, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but excessive whining plus assorted cheap shots/nut-punching = bad guy.

Posted by: zmega | December 22, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

i see more whining here than anywhere else, haha

Posted by: MNMNT | December 22, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Trade Gordon...we have no place for him here.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 22, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"It's the best competition they will face until they come to the pros and it is a high pressure situation they get put in. The more experience in those types of situations the better.

Posted by: sgm3"

So playing against adults in the KHL is lesser competition than playing against kids at the worlds?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 22, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread.
I was screaming at the TV last night during the game. Ovi, Backs & Semin line were pathetic and BB should sat them down for a couple of shifts. They were acting cute on their passes and not shooting the puck nor were they going to the net like the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines were doing. That's why all the goals were scored by the grinders because they went to the net hard. Ovi, Backs and especially Semin didn't. Semin is the worst of the 3 and should be talked to and told to watch from the press box for several games or trade him for a 2C and Dman.
Those 3 aren't working as hard as the other 3 lines especially the Hershey kids Baegle, A. Gordon, and MP. Those 3 has been stopped the 8 game losing streak and provided energy to the team on the ice.
The top 3 haven't and one or several should be talked to and told to watch from the press box until they prove in practice they deserve to be on the ice during a game.

Posted by: JMinVA | December 22, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

You have to look at the little things that he brings to the table even when he's not scoring. He's one of the few guys on this team that regularly engages and wins battles along the boards. He's suprisingly good on this more aggressive PK despite his below average speed, and he's just simply positionally smart and responsible in his overall play.

I'd say that he's been far more valuable to this team than Ovechkin over the last month or so since Ovechkin brings almost zero value to the team when he's not scoring. He's typically bad to horrible defensively, is all too often out of position off the puck, and generally makes low IQ decisions in his overall play.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 22, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Whiner, nut puncher, whatever, he's the greatest hockey player in the world. He will drop the gloves, stand in the crease, do whatever it takes to win and the league can't figure out how to stop him. Oh and that whole captaining his team to the Stanley Cup thingy wasn't too bad either.

Calling him Cindy Crybaby and other names is as idiotic as people calling OV Ovechicken. I am a Caps fan and a fan of hockey in general so I respect his talent and achievments.

Still nothing would be sweeter than seeing him cry as the Caps oust his club in the post season!

Posted by: FLDave | December 22, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, Ovechkin has seemed to pick up his physical play recently and his compete level is closer to what we've come to expect from him but he really doesn't bring much of anything to the table outside of scoring and hitting. And his narrow focus on doing those two things at all times, and nothing else, often cause him to take ill-advised shots, force bad passes, or try to deliver hits where he lunges and misses the guy and takes himself out of position (this usually happens in the offensive and neutral zones when it does happen).

If he's timing his hits and checks well and doing it in the right places without taking himself out of position, that's definitely added value and he seemed to do a really good job of that last night. I remember one particularly play in the neutral zone right outside the blue line where he timed a hit almost perfectly and either stripped the puck away or at least knocked the Devil off the puck. That's a positive play. Lunging for a puck or at a defender in the o-zone and having him skate right around you is a negative play and that was happening too often in recent games.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 22, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I like the way the kids are playing at center. I wouldn't mind if we use some of our cap space to upgrade our 1st line RW. Bump Knuble down to line 3.

I keep waiting for OV to turn it on, not happening. What is going on? He looks like I different player.

If the Caps win tomorrow, the Winter Classic will be even better. I am really getting excited. Be nice to be back on a nice win streak.

This season has been a roller coaster.

Lot's of statements. Sorry, I haven't posted in a while.

One last one. If we have to waive A. Gordon again, I would be mildly concerned about Pittsburgh signing him.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 22, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Dave, from what I know about you based on what you have posted here I am a bit surprised that you defend Crosby. No question about the talent. No question about the dedication and hard work to be the best. But drop the gloves? Only with carefully selected opponents, or from behind as a third man in. Stand in the crease? Not like a Knuble or a Holmstrom. He does his best work skating through the crease and close to the goal, but he doesn't fight for position there much that I have ever seen. I think the Captain role follows from being the best player on the team and is a political necessity. Every statement I have read from other players indicates that he is not a leader type, other than by example of his hard work (and I don't intend to minimize that).

Generally, he strikes me as the kind of guy who gets ahead by working 18 hours a day with occasional sneaky tricks to undermine the competition. That kind of guy may get some grudging respect but not genuine admiration.

Posted by: zmega | December 22, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

kissing cousins?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 22, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve_R

Good point.

I was thinking about the kids playing in the Canadian Juniors or College Hockey in the U.S., I forgot about the european kids playing against men in the KHL and SEL.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"Knuble's been one of our best forwards over the last few weeks. I see no need to sit him any time soon."

The only reason PhilR suggested, and I agreed, that the Caps sit Knuble here and there is to have him at full capacity for the playoffs. Knuble is 38, not 28, and he does look to be laboring some. If the Caps have the luxury to rest him for an occassional game, I think it is a good idea.

The move wouldn't be done to strengthen the Caps for that particular game, but just for the future when they're in the playoffs.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@zmega- you took most of the words right out of my mouth.

@FLDave- I believe Crosby is 'one' of the greatest hockey players in the world at this moment. His skill and compete level are as good as anyone. To be fair though, he does whine more than the average player which is why I personally like to refer to him as Crysby. As far as the dropping the gloves, he clearly picks his opponents and more importantly, when he does drop the gloves, he's wearing his helmet adorned with a face shield. Engaging in a fight without dropping the face shield adorned bucket is the equivalent of Shultz jumping into someones lap as cstanton recently said(still think that's one of the funnier things I've read on here). No doubt Crysby's 'one' of the best players (skill wise and compete level)at this moment, but he still plays and acts like a punk.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 22, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Sounds to me like Ms. Gordon is asking for a trade.

Posted by: large23220 | December 22, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

And for all the crap that Shultz gets on these boards for being wimpy, at least he doesn't pretend to have balls. Throughout my life, not just in hockey, I've enjoyed standing up for the little guy(so to speak), it's just something that's in my blood. I realized at an early age that most people don't like to fight, and a good percentage of the rest, like to prey on those who don't like to fight(these people are punks). There's nothing I enjoy more than putting a punk in his place. Crysby's selectively choosing his opponents while wearing his face shield adorned helmet not only doesn't impress me, it only takes away from his greatness IMO.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 22, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Crosby is a despicable individual. A bad person, in my opinion..........

Posted by: poguesmahone | December 22, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

...And how about that time last season against the Rangers: Sid-The-Id was crashing the net, and took a dive when he felt the breeze of a NYR backchecker's passage behind him. Id-Kid "sold" it so well it looked like he'd been shot with a high-powered sniper rifle. However, on this particular occasion the zebras got it (sort of) right and no penalties were called ("what about two for diving, ref?").

During the moments immediately after that play was whistled dead, Crosby made his way to the end boards behind the Ranger net. Lundqvist then went over to Crosby and said something.

Only the two of them may ever know exactly what that soemthing was--but it was probably something along these lines:

"For Chrissakes, Sid, man-up and quit diving. My guy never touched you, and you know it!"

Sid-the-Id's immediate reaction was to sneer viciously while trying to kill Lundqvist with a brutal crosscheck to the throat before being swarmed by the other Ranger skaters. The only thing saving Lundqvist from serious--and possibly fatal--injury was the fact that he was wearing full goalie armor, including a throat protector attached to his mask.

IMHO, this tells us pretty much everything we need to know about #87's true character:

A spoiled, petulant brat with about as much personality as a block of cold tofu, who exhibits a vile, psychotic temper when things don't go exactly as he wants them to....

...Hence my referring to him not as 'Crysby', nor as 'Cindy', nor even as 'Voldemort'--but as the infinitely more appropriate 'Sid-The-Id'

(See "Freud, Sigmund")

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 22, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the Pens, therefore I don't like Crosby, but what would you all say if he was ever signed by the Caps? Different story or could you learn to like him?

I haven't decided on that yet, but since my love for the Caps is deeper than a player, I am leaning towards accepting him.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 22, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Would you trade Ovi for Crosby right now??

Yup, you would!!

Posted by: joek443 | December 22, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan- I'd say the same thing I DID say as soon as we got Jagr, "Are you f*#k$@g kidding me! Bad move." As great as his skill and compete levels are, I can honestly say I would be PISSED if we ever got that punk (see my definition above) on our team. If we got him for a steal, okay, I'd take his punk a*%, but who here(even the dumb ones) think we or any other team would ever get Crysby for a steal, at least not until it's obvious to everyone that he's past the point of being the player that he once was as Jagr was when we got him.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 22, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I like SAOTI and Rhino40's take on Crosby. I would NOT want him on the Caps. I'd still want the Caps to win it all, but I would hate to see Crosby in a Caps jersey. Sort of makes me sick to even think of it.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 22, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

clasy move by best player in the nhl...save that man up crap for the cs euros u cheer for....ov aint ever winning a cup

Posted by: wendel2 | December 22, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

classy move by best player in the nhl...save that man up crap for the cs euros u cheer for....ov aint ever winning a cup

Posted by: wendel2 | December 22, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

if sid wants gordo's kisses he can come be our 2C!

Posted by: mcintire_will | December 22, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Everyone needs to remember one thing... HBO is following both teams around. If you've watched any of the series, they paint the Penguins as nice happy guys and the Caps as sullen grumpy guys. You really think that this wasn't another HBO photo op?

Posted by: Alexis5 | December 22, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Trade Semin please

Posted by: sporttraveler | December 22, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

If I am not mistaken - A Gordon had to clear waivers to get to Hershey after Camp. How he was not picked off is beyond me...esp. by the Pens given the history that Sid has with him (I knew about this, and was afraid they will do it)

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | December 23, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I want Andrew to score against Pens from Sid's giveaway.

Will he kiss him?