Armstrong suspended two games for elbowing Perreault (updated)

Thrashers' winger Colby Armstrong has been suspended two games by the NHL, without pay, for his elbow to the head of Caps' prospect Mathieu Perreault last night, according to Atlanta Journal Constitution reporter Chris Vivlamore.

It was not a "blindside hit," but a dangerous one nonetheless.

Here it is again:

Perreault, who was not injured, was sent down to Hershey earlier today.

Here's what Armstrong had to say about the suspension (via the AJC):

"Obviously, I'm disappointed," Armstrong told the AJC. "I feel terrible about it. The timing of it because of our position as a team and also personally for myself. It's one thing that my dad always told me when I learned out to hit, you never reach for a guy like that. I just got caught where he was dodging out of the way and I reached for him and I made a mistake. The good thing is there was no injury on the play."
"I reached across with my right arm. I just tried to get a piece of him. It happened the way it happened. By no means did I mean to hit him high. I've always been a guy that with my hits my arms are down. I hit with my shoulder. I keep my arms in and try to hit the way I'm supposed to. This one time, I got caught in a head-to-head going at him and he gave me a couple moves and I just tried to get a piece of him and I paid the price."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 2, 2010; 3:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Laich on importance of beating Atlanta
Next: Chris Clark: 'It's been a different year'

Comments

from previous: "Laich on importance of beating Atlanta"

"In fact, if San Jose loses in regulation at Minnesota tonight, they could clinch it tomorrow with a win or OT loss. (The Caps need any combination of three points won or lost by the Sharks to claim it.)"

By Tarik El-Bashir | April 2, 2010; 3:03 PM ET

Tarik
fyi
if the caps only get one pt from the last 5 games - they could lose to chi if chi wins it's last 6 games
113 each means chi takes it based on overall wins

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 2, 2010 3:10 PM

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 2, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Why is Mathieu Perreault being sent down? I think he is outplaying one or two of the starting centers now on the Caps.

Good to see Armstrong get that suspension. If that had been Ovi, he would have been sent to work the coal mines in Siberia.

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | April 2, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually surprised Armstrong got anything. This is the age of Colin Campbell, folks!

He deserved a few more games IMO, but 2 will do.

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | April 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Seems about right. When Caps get hit dirty, its a double minor (thus denying the #1 power play in the league an opportunity), but the offending player gets suspended after the game.

Posted by: zyvo23 | April 2, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

GOOD! I actually think Armstrong should have gotten one or two more games, because his skates left the ice, but the way things have gone for the Caps this season, I'm just grateful Campbell handed out a two-game suspension.

Posted by: wocoliz | April 2, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Glad he got something....but glad it wasent more than that....the CAPS have been on the giving end of a couple of these hits this year, and imagine being in the play-offs and having one of our players sitting 5 games for a hit like that.....2 games...the bar is now set.....I think .

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 2, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Did Green get 2 or 3? Ah well, I don't think previous suspensions of similar nature are even looked at by Colin. Just spin the wheel and see what happens! Side note: each team has a different wheel.

Posted by: Raber | April 2, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad he got suspended. It should have been more of a penalty in the game, too. At least they got something right.

If Ovie had done this, millions of fans would be going ballistic.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | April 2, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Good he only got two games. That will be a great motivator for the Caps to bring their A-game at the end of next week when they have nothing to play for and Atlanta will be trying to sneak into the playoffs. If the Thrashers do manage to get in I say they show that play every night on the jumbotron to inspire the RedHeads in the seats to scream their heads off. Let's go Caps.

Posted by: bigmacmark | April 2, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I would like to know what discipline will be taken against the pathetic refs from last night's game. If this is what we have to look forward to heading into the playoffs, it's like deja vu all over again.

Posted by: Caps16Fan | April 2, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I think Perreault is being sent down because Quintin Laing and the other injured forwards are ready to return to the line-up. As an emergency recall, it appears that the Caps can only keep him while they are short.

Posted by: firehorse | April 2, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Devils over Blackhawks
Wild over Sharks
Henrik Lundqvist over Steven Stamkos
Curtis McElhinney/Jean-Sebastien Giguere over Henrik Sedin

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 2, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to the NHL. I'm shocked that the NHL actually suspended him. I was afraid that they would look at the holding call and decide that if the on-ice official didn't call the elbow, then the league won't either. Unfortunately, it still means that Armstrong will be back to playing again on April 9 when the Caps play Atlanta again.

Posted by: firehorse | April 2, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Armstrong should have gotten at least 3 games. Green got 3 for a elbow that wasn't nearly as blatant. Plus, now we have to face him next week, and it would suck if one of the Caps went for a revenge shot and got suspended. Honestly, I am surprised he got suspended at all.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 2, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I feel terrible for you Colby. You are clearly the victim here, not Perreault. Obviously, you never intended to go for his head - some evil force must have intervened to raise your elbow where you never intended it to go. It was completely appropriate for you not to apologize, but to focus on your own feelings.

As far as Campbell's calculation of the 2 game suspension, you start with the 3 games that Green got for a similar hit that was less vicious. Then you subtract a game since a Cap player was the victim. You don't apply the Pittsburgh credit which would eliminate the suspension and find Perreault at fault. So, yeah, I guess it is about right.

Posted by: zmega | April 2, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

No way am I defending Armstrong...I'm glad he got the suspension. But let's keep in mind that Matty P is pretty short so it's not much of a reach for most anyone to get an elbow up on him. If Armstrong had thrown that hit on Steckel or Schultz he would had hit them mid-chest.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 2, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow good job Colin Campbell.. for ONCE. And so funny how Armstrong tried to talk his way out of it. Let's not kid ourselves, he has NO excuse for why that arm came up like that... he can try to defend it all he wants but it was intentional.. stop blaming it on our guy, geez. Total cheap shot. His explanation is stupid and bullcrap.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 2, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

"I just got caught where he was dodging out of the way"

Yeah of course he was dodging away because you tried to decapitate him, idiot.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 2, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Holy whining, If it is a cap it is too many games if it is anyone else it is not enough, everyday people need something to whine about yesterday was because someone else is covering the caps. Seriously radio shows are right some of Whiniest fans ever are Caps fans. What a bunch of damn cry babies. I remember last year everyone was whining to Tarik that why is he the only one covering the Caps? and then when people do cover the Caps people say why are they covering the Caps they Do not know hockey. EVERY penalty called on the Caps is considered weak and a bad call (if you really think that way you are an IDIOT), if you do not believe me read through the comments. I am just tired of reading the same comments over and over, people have to bring up the Pens every day.

Posted by: cocorules | April 2, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

From the video, it looked as if Matty probably saved himself from a concussion or worse by ducking at the last second. Colby makes it sound like Perreault's ducking somehow "caused" the hit - bizarre. :D

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 2, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I believe I have said this before, but it bears repeating -

E*t me Coco. Nice name.

Posted by: zmega | April 2, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Called the suspension. Might now have been a blind side but it was a hit to the head.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 2, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Well if you can't take any of it coco then don't read CI... no one is forcing you to. Sorry, all the things you listed that people complain about will continue.. I mean just yesterday Tracee Hamilton was taking Caps questions and everyone was like "Who??" Get over it, nothing you can do about it. If you can't stand it, don't read it.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 2, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Might not* have been.

I also thought it would have been 3 games since that is what Green got but I am not surprised that there isn't consistency in calls with the NHL.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 2, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

At :43 and :49 you can clearly see he is lining up to perform a triple lutz and MP's head simply gets in the way of what would otherwise be a perfectly executed figure skating maneuver performed by 6'2" 195lb man.

Posted by: dimagus | April 2, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Matt Cooke would of said...."I just tried to finish my check."

Posted by: SA-Town | April 2, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cocorules | April 2, 2010 4:43 PM

so if different people have different opinions - that makes everyone a cry baby and a whiner?
why don't you go and research for someone that complained about lack of coverage AND then complained about the additional coverage. you can call those people out by name. it makes you look like a whining cry baby when you generalize this way.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 2, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

First of all...Coco, what is that? Spanish? If so: Tu eres idiota.

Secondly, that hit was NOT accidental. It was pretty close to a right cross. Well intended, pre-meditated. Armstrong...what is that? English? If so: you're an idiot.

Posted by: scmonty1 | April 2, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I like

Devils over Blackhawks
Habs over Flailing Philly
Rags over Bolts
Flames over Avs

this is the play-offs for some of these teams

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 2, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I agree with Capt. Kirk. coco, quit whining about people whining. You do realize YOU are the one that is being whiny right now??

Posted by: rachel216 | April 2, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

@Capsfannmiss

Enjoyed your predictions. We'll see they pan out.

Enjoy your description of the Flyers as "flailing". If they lose, could they be called "failing".

The Flyers have certainly had bad luck in the injury department, as of late.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 2, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

that's the closest thing to an actual apology that i've heard following a suspension......

Posted by: CF11555 | April 2, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

gotta love ShaMo. He's one of about 2 people on this team that immediately stick up for his teammates. He went after Orr when he hit Ovechkin, he went after Orr again when Orr hit Green this year. And now he engaged Armstrong.

I have no idea what Poti was doing. Looked like he pulled a Schultz.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 2, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

@Coco

Tu es loco y stupido

Posted by: ralCapsFan | April 2, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I was very pleasantly surprised to hear this news.

Now I wasn't outraged by the hit itself, I was disapointed it was officiated so poorly but I'm very happy with the NHL enforcing their new rulings. I do believe Armstrong did not mean for the headshot that it was accidental but a hit to the head nonetheless. Hopefully a more consistent ruling on this aspect of the game is on the horizon in saying "no matter intent or accident, head shots will not be tolerated"

Posted by: breaklance | April 3, 2010 2:23 AM | Report abuse

Typical soft NHL horsehockey. He had to be suspended, absolutely, and it should have been for the last 5 games of the season, but clearly the league takes pity on Atlanta's playoff push and doesn't want them to lose a top defensemen for all those games. I thought a rule is a rule, a suspension a suspension no matter the timing or player or circumstance...OV bumps a guy on the shoulder and gets two games, and Armstrongs blow to the head is an equal? Lame. As if we needed more proof (we really don't), Bettmen is an imbecile.

Posted by: soloman5000 | April 3, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I love how the ref is looking rught at the play. NHL refs=incompetent.

Posted by: kevbnyc | April 3, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I can see where Armstrong was coming from as far as ending up with hitting him with an elbow rather than a hand... MP was in the process of dodging and that's what ended up happening. I believe Armstrong's words and this was just one of those situations where you react to get a piece of someone much like Ovie has. Suspension still deserved.

Posted by: rh71 | April 3, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't 'Coco' the name of "The Squire's" cocker spaniel?

As in: 'Come along Coco, you can take a dump on his shoe as you go by.....'

Posted by: arioch666 | April 3, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse