Perreault and Beagle recalled; Johansson out against Thrashers

The Capitals recalled Mathieu Perreault and Jay Beagle from Hershey for tonight's game at Verizon Center against the Atlanta Thrashers as Washington will be without Marcus Johansson (hip flexor), Matt Bradley (lower-body injury) and Boyd Gordon.

Johansson is the newest addition to the Capitals' pre-existing group of walking wounded, but Coach Bruce Boudreau said the move is more precautionary with the rookie center.

"He hurt his hip flexor a little bit in the game in Boston," Boudreau said. "He wanted to play. He wanted to try it. He's going to be fine for Wednesday [in Carolina] it was just better safe than sorry."

--Mike Green (upper-body injury) will skate in warm up and will be a game-time decision Boudreau said.

--Boyd Gordon is "healthy, we just decided to rest him awhile" and will be on the ice Monday, according to Boudreau. He hasn't practiced for five straight days and did not travel with the team to Boston for Thursday's game.

--Semyon Varlamov was the first goaltender off the ice this morning so it looks like he will get a second straight start tonight for the Capitals.

By Katie Carrera  | October 23, 2010; 11:37 AM ET
Categories:  Atlanta Thrashers, Boyd Gordon, Injuries, Jay Beagle, Marcus Johansson, Mathieu Perreault, Matt Bradley
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live video chat with Coach Bruce Boudreau: Monday, 12:30 p.m.
Next: Michal Neuvirth to start against Thrashers

Comments

Not second

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 23, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

So, MP will play either 2nd or 3rd line center (I am hoping 2nd), and Beagle will play on the fourth line. But who is out on the fourth line? Steckel or King?

Ovie Backie Knuble
Laich MP Semin
Chimera Flash Fehr
King Beagle Hendricks

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 23, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see Chimera get a shot on the 2nd line with Semin. I know Chimera is not exactly an elite player, but he has an interesting combination of size, grit, and speed that I think could help create opportunities for Semin.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 23, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I am a little lonely on this post, but until everyone else catches up, I will just keep posting my thoughts...

Perrault played really well in the preseason. In fact, if roster standing was soley based upon performance and things like 2-way contracts, waivers, and opportunities in Europe instead of Hershey, I think he would have made the team for sure.

So, if he plays well and since he is more of a natural center than Flash, could he supplant Flash, Johansson, or one of the 4th line guys? Could they pull off a trade? Get that D-Man everyone thinks they need and keep Perrault in the bigs?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 23, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I think Flash will play 2C tonight. The problem with MP is defense. The 3rd line should be a solid defensive line but, they spend less time on the ice. So, his weak point will be less exposed on the 3rd line. Personally, I'm thrilled with Johansson, his defensive awareness is excellent. When he improves his offense, we will have a heck of a player. I hope Green plays tonight, I'm sick of the defense fumbling the puck and not starting breakouts.

Posted by: chriscaps | October 23, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

How about putting Hendricks as LW on the 2nd or 3rd line? Besides adding physicality to those lines, he can take some faceoff pressure off of Flash or Johannson...

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 23, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I think BB will put MP on the 2nd line, to try and spark some offense from that line. BB always puts offense ahead of defense as he firmly belives the best defense is a good offense. He wants points from Semin and the 2nd line.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 23, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

This site has gone downhill since everyone and their mother became an armchair coach and GM

Posted by: Justafan | October 23, 2010 11:05 AM

Obviously Justafan you are new to sports. I remember attending Baltimore Colts games back in the 60s where there were 50,000 foul-mouthed armchair coaches and GMs and their foul-mouthed mothers and wives too. And I suspect if you went back to Roman Coliseum days you'd have 1000s of armchair coaches there in the seats telling the Christians how they could better fight the lions.

"What wrong with you, you idiot Christian?! Don't just let him eat you!"

"Quit bleeding so much, Christian!"

Look, none of us are qualified to be coach or GM. But we can see what the other 29 coaches and GMs are doing so we can at least compare. For instance, we can see that the other 29 teams all have more grit on D, and that our D constantly gets beaten in the crease every year in the Playoffs.

Is that not something to point out?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 23, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@Wemiss21:

... and I hope those points will come tonight ...

However, all of the lines need some more points ...

I hope, the Caps have learned from the game in Nashville and will take the Thrashers not too lightly ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | October 23, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Tweaking the lines and adding fresh skaters should help. I think when they are struggling, it is important to mix up the lines. Otherwise they press too much, try to feed each other, try to analyze too much, instead of reacting and playing.

Tonight's score:
Caps 5
Thrash 1

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 23, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

... but BB and GMGM can also compare and see the same things ...

... and as they are also chasing the SC I think they have a plan ...

... and so far, the overall picture seems quite good as with "that the other 29 teams all have more grit on D" the Caps were quite successful last year ... ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | October 23, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

@justafan - yes I remember the good old days when we used to just see "go caps" or even better those mysterious blank postings. My favorite were the haikus. Ah, the good old days...Now all these fans have something to say about the team - and a lot of it is interesting. I read this blog just to read the threads...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 23, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Someone (Katie or Corey) needs to follow up on this Boyd Gordon thing. What's going on? Imagine the media uproar if Shanahan would say about one of the Redskins: "he's healthy, we just decided to rest him for a while"???

Posted by: MeinMann | October 23, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

... I forgot to ask:

How will you Rock the Red tonight?

... I am drinking mineral water because my hometown team lost (again) ... :-(

... my team is now next to last in the standings ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | October 23, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

... I forgot to ask:

How will you Rock the Red tonight?

... I am drinking mineral water because my hometown team lost (again) ... :-(

... my team is now next to last in the standings ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | October 23, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope they keep DJ king in the line up. We all kow that he adds a fisticuffs presence, but I like what I've seen from him with the gloves on. For a big man he has good speed, plays well positionally, gets back on D, has pretty good hands and hits players with ill intention. He would have scored his 1st goal Thursday night if Thomas was not standing on his head.

Bottom line... I'm impressed (shocked) by what King has brought to the ice. Don't overlook his effort/energy and scratch him just because the other team doesn't dress a goon. I think he's proven he is more than an enforcer.

Posted by: FLDave | October 23, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI - > LMAO.

Come back Cstanton, man!

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 23, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@MeinMann

... the name "MeinMann" sounds a little bit familiar to me ... ;-)

may I ask you who is your man?

... and is there also "MeineFrau" somewhere around ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | October 23, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

You shouldn't be shocked because GMGM told us that DJK can play ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | October 23, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I WAS a Green critic because of his defensive liabilities and toughness, but I see how he is sorely missed on offense these past few games. I can now see how Green is more valuable to this team than I originally thought, at least in terms of the offensive scheme of things in the regular season. However, until BB starts adjusting with what he has against the way other teams are doing against the Capitals, this team will still not get very far in the playoffs. Basically all (good) defensive teams are now playing "Montreal" playoff schemes against the Capitals every game and the Capitals are not adapting well at all. This should be a great opportunity for the Capitals to practice their playoff mode in the regular season, but they seem to be having a hard time making any progress. To ask them to "toughen up" is like asking a bunch of ballerinas to "Man Up" in a Tough Men competition. The core of this team does not have a "tough" make up, so it is either up to the Coach to come up with a better scheme or the GM to add more "tougher" players. If this keeps up, the Capitals will be more reflective of their playoffs record (3-4, 4-3, 3-4, 3-4 = 13-15) than their regular season record of the past 2 years.

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

FCKoeln1

Part of GMGM's job is to justify and spin his moves to the fans. There are several players he's talked up that have been absolute flops. I'm glad DJ is living up to GMGM's press release though!

Posted by: FLDave | October 23, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"What wrong with you, you idiot Christian?! Don't just let him eat you!"

"Quit bleeding so much, Christian!"

Is that not something to point out?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 23, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Not new, @tominsocal, but a long time Caps fan and 11 year STH. I see the Caps' weaknesses and am troubled by them, but having everyone shout for a great 2C and strong Dman over and over and over, without end, is tiresome. Yes it would have been great to make acquisitions in the summer, though arguably market conditions were not favorable, and yes we do not have the depth on D we had last year now that Shamo and Juice are gone without new acquisitions. We are where we are, and we hope that trades are in the offing. Nothing we say will have any influence.

We're also 7 games into the season. Winning wrong sucked for many, and losing seems to suck more. Arguably we could use some adversity. I like a lot of things we're seeing though. We've had a number of games where we've shown a new level of physicality. Semin dropping Lucic on a hard check at VC comes to mind, (and seeing more consistency from Sasha is pretty exciting too). Flash, so maligned, is showing more strength on his skates. Demonstrated effective PK (until Thurs night) was pretty terrific too.

So, I've got no beef with the analysis, the gripes, etc., but when 25 posts straight are calling for BB's/GMS's head, and they're saying the same dang thing, it gets old real quick. We've got a good, not great team. There's much to enjoy. Hopefully the changes will come. Nothing we do will influence it, but a little variety celebrating the good with the bad would be enjoyable here.

Posted by: Justafan | October 23, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I miss Tarik's updates.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | October 23, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

FCKoeln1:

mrstominsocal1 is making a tri-tip roast, so it will be cab or zin for the game.

Part of my problem though now on west coast and with work schedules in the family is I am watching most of the games delayed. It just doesn't feel like a good-luck charm now to rock the whatever with wine, food, jersey, whatever when it's tape delay.

Justafan: The problem here, and of course we're just ignorant fans, but the problem is some people (I wasn't one of them) harped on Caps lack of playoff make-up even before last year's playoffs. We know what happened and now it's seven games in but same as last year's playoffs. Caps are a wonderful scoring machine ala Blues in the early 90s who never went anywhere in Playoffs. Even similiarities Hull, Oates and MacInnis to Ovechkin, Backie and Green. So some of the rest of us, middle-of-the-roaders, are creeping ever closer to the Dark Siders in what we believe is happening. And even I am at trhe point of wonderinig if this team can win with Boudreau. The crowning point was last year's playoffs when I pointed out how Hershey adapted to slot-clogging vs Texas whereas Caps did not vs Montreal nor vs Boston last two games. The two games this week vs the Bruins should highlight how this team is missing both depth on the blueline and the willingness to change up the style in order to win. It really seems like Boudreau has this rock-headed style of doing it one and only one way where Mark French and his boys figured out (remember the Andrew Gordon quotes?) that the pretty plays weren't working and they had to play ugly. I also recall Penguins falling behind vs Caps in early 90s Playoffs and then changing up in order to win. Caps players like Ciccarelli would leave blood and sweat on the ice to win, but we lacked the talent (and we lacked having kept Scott Stevens). Now we have the talent but don't have enough or even anyone with Ciccarelli's toughness.

So this is why 25 straight posters are harping on the same thing, because they are right.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 23, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedLitYogi

Let's go Caps
I hope the goalie isn't standing on his head
Let's go Caps

Posted by: LloydChristmas | October 23, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Justafan: One more thing, all since last year's Playoffs, when I put the Hershey-Caps comparison right after Hershey won, I have posted, countless times, you "can't win a war with all snipers and no tanks." Surely, if you are here reading, you've seen that quote. And it looks 100% true so far into the season. I also put earlier in the summer that my top six favorites for Cup, all about 10% chance, were Caps, Pens, Bruins, Sharks, Canucks, Red Wings and Hawks (OK, that's 7) and then I had Flyers next up as top 8. Of those teams, Caps have only played the Bruins yet this year. And we've played the Bruins twice, and been shellacked each time, in games that looked exactly like the Habs series last year except the Bruins have done it even better than Montreal, with the slot-clogging just as good but with better hitting and better offense (B's passing on PP Thu night was beautiful). So, if those other 6 "good" teams employ that same style vs Caps, how can we beat ANY OF THEM in the playoffs unless we do like Mark French and Hershey did last year and change the style? How, I ask you, how?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 23, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Time to break up Ovie and Backie to make two true top lines. Which one do you put your best defenders against? Gotta still put them on Ovie, but that will leave Backstrom and Semin to score a bunch. And Ovie can still break through and provide offense with guys like Perrault or Flash and Knuble.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 23, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Why start Varly? MN has been doing a tremendous job so far. Definitely an error.

I just hope the Caps play an energetic, consistent game tonight. The team has been very disappointing.

Posted by: analyzerman | October 23, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh, even one more thing Justafan, when a team has one main attribute, even a great one, other teams figure out how to neutralize it. This is why Dan Marino set all kinds of passing marks but never won. Also why Barry Bonds had some of the greatest offensive stats in the history of baseball but got neutralized, when it counted, because other teams just walked him.

It's called a "back-up plan." If you don't have one, you lose.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 23, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1

If GMGM read that, he'd fire BB immediately. You make a very good point against a coach who refuses to change his style of play. The Caps won't get anywhere with BB. I'm pretty much convinced now. You know all those other teams know how to play the trap and will execute it better than Montreal.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | October 23, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

It's annoying how they want Varly to be #1 so badly. I'm not sure Varly has the tools to keep pucks out of the net with such a weak D. Neuvy has had only one goal where he was a little out of position and that was when he had the "flu." I am confident if Neuvy gets traded, he will hoist a cup not too long afterward. That guy is a champion.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | October 23, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Wemiss21

Interesting idea. I love OV and have defended him over the years with his borderline hits and charges of not being a team player.

This year he seems to be doing too much on his own, not playing like a team member. Sure, he cheers when others score, he will pass the puck to someone to score an open netters, etc. Based on his style (give me the puck and move outta the f**king way) I think your idea might be a very good one.

Posted by: FLDave | October 23, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

... that right, however Ovi needs one who give him the puck ... ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | October 23, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Stamkos is killing it this year.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | October 23, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

OK, folks, time for a new poll. And, since Katie hasn't put it, I will. And, no, it's not "Where Do You Think cstanton1 Has Gone?" My answer to that one: He got so upset watching Caps vs Bruins that he drank three beers and passed out and hasn't yet awoken.

No, here's my poll:

Are you a:
Dark Sider
Kool-Aid drinker, or
Middle-of-the-Roader.

Before you answer too quickly, here are your definitions:

DARK SIDER - Caps will never win with GMGM and BB in charge. Maybe even Ted has to go too. Ted really doesn't care about winning anyway, he just wants the fame and money. GMGM has absolutely no clue how to build a team. He inherited a pretty good one from Poile and it went straight downhill. The rebuild was due to luck of getting Ovechkin and even Backie was a no brainer. Getting Green was blind luck. GMGM can't draft after the first round, always picks the wrong kind of player and can't sign a FA to save his life.

KOOL-AID DRINKER. We are the best team in hockey. The President's Trophy proves that. GMGM has done a wonderful job of dismantling and rebuilding. And Boudreau? He took the worst team in hockey and now three straight Playoff appearances. Never mind that Montreal won, that was just a hot goalie. Don't let five bad days derail your thinking. We were better than Montreal, better than Philly and better than the Hawks. If not for Halak, we might well have won the Cup. Roster changes? The team is fine, we just to get back to "Caps hockey."

MIDDLE-OF-THE-ROADERS: Never win with GMGM and BB? That's absurd. They CAN win. Will they? They have a good chance, maybe as good as anyone, but not if they keep playing the same way, the same style. That style, run-n-gun, just isn't working. Maybe in the regular season, but not in the Playoffs. This isn't to say the team should be overhauled, no way, but you WON'T LIKELY win w/o a few roster changes and style changes. The PK? So far so good, and that was a start. The Montreal series? Forget that hot goaltender cr@p, we were outplayed and outcoached. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. What we need is a few roster changes, they've been discussed ad nauseum, #2C and 1-pair D. No, MaJo isn't a #2C, not yet. That line needs a guy like, say, Umberger. And #1D? I dunno. Even Andy Sutton at 2.5 would have been SOME depth. And I also still say the third line needs a guy like Clutterbuck. Our 1st and 4th lines are fine, but the other two are unbalanced and should be tweaked.

So, there you have it, your definitions. Based on where you decide, either give yourself:

A cup of blood from a recently slaughtered goat; a refreshing glass of Caps Kool-Aid, made with Rod Langway's sweat; or a margarita made from limes that are currently 2 lbs/$1 at Vallarta Market.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 23, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

I'm definitely not a Dark Sider. I consider myself a Middle of the Roader but don't agree with every criticism listed (and have a few of my own not listed). There are some items that the Kool Aid drinkers are right on, on your list.

On the coaches, we know that Boudreau coached a winner out of the same personnel that were so horrible under Hanlon. But, of course, we have only 2 data points to judge on coaching performance.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 23, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

On Boyd Gordon, the whole thing seems pretty bizarre.

Before the 1st Bruins game,Boudreau said he was "hurting" but it was not his back. Then the word came out that he was listed as a healthy scratch. After that, he has not been seen at either practice or a game. Now, Boudreau says he is being "rested". If you ask me, that's an awful long time for a guy to be "rested" especially when we're short of personnel to begin with. I expect a "resting" or "healthy" scratch of a regular to last one game at most. But to never see him at practice during that period either makes me wonder.

I believe Boyd Gordon's "healthy" scratch as much as I believed Mike Green's "healthy" scratch last April. I could have believed one game but when it became two straight games, I got suspicious. And then we later learned that he was having problems with this wrist.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 23, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

i'm so over boyd gordon and his injuries. they should just put him on LTIR now and move on.

Posted by: natresgroup | October 23, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

On the drinking selections, maybe I should contact my Klingon friends for a supply of "blood wine".

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 23, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

kool-aid drinker who just tripped and stumbled right into the middle-of-the-road camp.

I do think GMGM has done a good job (hell, look at the disastrous mistakes other GMs have made) and can do better. BB's got the simultaneous blessing and curse of trying to coach Ovechkin. He can improve a great deal, especially in the area of on-ice adjustments, but he's brought a positive, exciting brand of hockey to the game, one that seems well suited for the newer interpretation of the rules. I don't like his tendency to get petulant after losses and blame specific players - although maybe that's a good thing.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 24, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse