Posted at 12:53 PM ET, 01/26/2011

Semyon Varlamov to start, Matt Bradley to return against Thrashers

By Katie Carrera

Semyon Varlamov was the first goaltender off the ice at Philips Arena and looks set to make his first start since Jan. 14 against Vancouver tonight in the Capitals' final meeting of the regular season against the Thrashers.

Also, Matt Bradley will likely return to the lineup after missing 14 games and five weeks with a broken finger. The veteran right wing has had quite a bit of time to watch the Capitals style of play during his time out of the lineup and while watching the game from afar can sometimes add new perspective, it gave Bradley time to size up the new style.

"I just look at maybe the way our team has changed a bit," Bradley said. "We're playing a lot better defensively and I think and I think in the end that's going to help us out. Our style of play right now is pretty good."

With Bradley back, D.J. King will be the odd man out among the forwards. He, along with Braden Holtby, stayed out for extra work with the Capitals assistant coaches.

--Ondrej Pavelec will get the start in net for the Thrashers tonight. He started the last two games against the Capitals, stopping 74 of 75 shots between those contests for two wins.

--Scott Hannan was surprised to hear that this evening's game against Atlanta will mark the 800th regular season contest of his NHL career.

"It doesn't feel that long," Hannan said. "Part of it's luck, part of it's hard work as far as making sure you always get to play. You look back and say, 'Wow it doesn't feel like it's been that long.' It's an accomplishment though and I want to keep moving forward."

By Katie Carrera  | January 26, 2011; 12:53 PM ET
Categories:  Atlanta Thrashers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals forwards taking shots against Semyon Varlamov in skate
Next: Post Sports Live: The state of the Caps

Comments

so you are saying that if GMGM got a deal that was proposed with islanders happen he would no do it.

Posted by: samb99 | January 26, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------
Here's what I'm saying (SAOTI, Cstanton & Tom off the top of my head are one's that can back me up here) I know people all around in hockey. Am I Eklund? No way. I've been in hockey all my life and made my biggest accomplishment through reffing b/c I sucked as a player! LOL! So anyway I've just gotten to know a lot of people through the yrs and they've gone on to do different things (reffing, scouts, GM's, coaches, asst coaches etc at many different levels). I promise you my network of people is nowhere close to Eklund's website. I don't want his network! LOL! I don't even have time to come on here every day much less maintain a blog etc! LOL! My only reason for saying anything about player/management movement is for FYI stuff. You're not gonna see me on here with the latest rumor blog stuff, it's just information and do with it as you like. As with anything else in life things change too.

All that being said there is ZERO indication that the Caps are even acting like they're interested in moving Semin. They want Semin here for the long run.

I think one of the things missed when talking about trading is this, Semin is a huge asset to us. We have in our mind what his worth is, in this particular case there isn't anything other teams have been offering to this point that even comes close to offering us close to what we feel his worth is. Am I making sense? LOL! I'm 99% sure Semin will be on our roster come opening night next year.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 26, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Brads better come into the lineup with a vengeance. Anything less than 5 bone-jarring hits will be a letdown.

And compared to this time last year, I think we're better suited to playoff hockey THIS year than last. Despite the downgrade in the reg season records.

This is the year more than any other yr in the past that McPhee can really boost this team with the correct 2 or 3 moves. If he can add the right center, another Hendricks type of forward, and another defensive dman and then dump Poti, Gordo, and MP, I'd actually be excited about the playoffs starting. This is all doable. Especially the role player and dman position. The center will be harder to get but is also doable. So I don't want to hear any damn excuses as to why we couldn't pull the trigger on any moves. I especially don't want to read this--

"We're very comfortable with where our team is currently at and frankly we didn't see anything out there that is better than what we currently have"

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

I can say this. The Caps have wavered on this in the past. Can't speak for how they feel in the present. That bridge has been since burned. But in the past, they wavered on wanting to deal Semin because of his inconsistent play. But they also worried about how it would affect Ovechkin.

Logically it makes sense that they wouldn't move him. This is still an org that prides itself on its offensive numbers and I can't see them moving a pure goal scorer during a season where they're struggling to score goals.

FTR I think they're wrong but if you look at this in a very simplistic way like they are prone to do, I would think that this season more than any other season they would want to hold onto Semin. I think they're truly concerned about the lack of scoring and they're crossing their fingers that when Semin comes back into the lineup they can go back to scoring at least 3-4 goals per game consistently.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Teams that the Caps will not be able to beat in the playoffs:

Montreal
Rangers
Boston
Flyers

There is no "new system" this year. What there is is better defensemen, and an offense that has not evolved in 3 years. They try to do the exact same thing every time they get the puck. The lack of scoring has absolutely zero correlation with the improved defense.

I do not enjoy typing this. This is fact.

Posted by: LesGrossman | January 26, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I just threw up in my mouth.

Posted by: underpants2
-----------------------------------
LMAO! That was pretty funny.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Semin thing. Once again my comments have ZERO to do with my thoughts on him as a player. I'm just relaying what I've heard is all. It can change and change quickly. I do however like the guy and think he's a tremendous talent. I think that due to his expiring contract if you were going to trade him you should've done it already.

We don't have another sniper in the system like an OV or Semin. They don't come around very often. Yes I'd like him to be healthy more, yet I'd like him to reduce his offensive penalties yes I'd like him to reduce his toe drag turnovers but he is an elite talent and should stay.

He'll get traded today you watch! LMAO!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 26, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------

That's not a surprise though. Semin's "worth" is very debatable. Its definitely NOT equivalent to his goal production. Because his uncertain contract status (i.e. leaving North America) and his questionable playoff history and questionable overall play/work ethic all factor into his actual "worth".

All 40 goal scorers don't have the same worth, is what I'm saying. There are other pieces that factor in. I don't think (given the above), that that Semin is worth more than a 2nd line center and a 2nd pair dman with youth and upside. If you can get that for him, take it. You won't get more. Anyone expecting a young franchise dman for him is smoking bricks.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Teams that the Caps will not be able to beat in the playoffs:

Montreal
Rangers
Boston
Flyers

-------

If the roster stands as is, I think we'll beat the Habs. But I don't think we'll beat the Bruins, Rags, and Flyers provided they're all healthy. Pittsburgh will be tough as well.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I do not enjoy typing this. This is fact.

Posted by: LesGrossman

Watch the defensive positioning of the Caps players when the oppsoing team breaks out this year compared to previous years. Watch how much lower the center goes in the defensive zone and the forwards too. There is a new system. That is a fact.

Will it end working? Time will tell.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 26, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the whole 2nd line Center... what do people consider a good solid second line Center on a Cup contending team?
80GP, 20G, 40A, 60Pts, +10, 17:00ATOI

something like the above?
Marcus Johansson in 2011:
11GP, 3G, 3A, 6Pts, Even, 15:50ATOI

Projected it is something like:
80GP, 22G, 22A, 44Pts, Even, 15:50ATOI (and rising)

so who out there is better than what MoJo is doing right now and can be had without giving up a major piece of the puzzle?

Arnott is this:
48GP, 12G, 10A, 22Pts, -9, 15:50ATOI on a bad team
projected its's
80GP, 20G, 17A, 37Pts, -15, 15:50ATOI (granted the Devils are playing better... but his contract is 4.5 mil, UFA)

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 26, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Will it end working? Time will tell.

Posted by: sgm3 |

jesus. SGM speaks the truth here. The center does stay back.

I don't necessarily like that btw. It just gives guys like Gordo an excuse not to forecheck and make contact. Its his dream position. At least when MaJo lingers back he is still aggressive enough to intercept someone in the neutral zone.

Our team defense is definitely improved. Partly due to the improvement of the 2 kids, partly due to the system.

The only disheartening part to this is, its not by DESIGN. Its by NECESSITY.
They didn't come into the season with this plan. They didn't learn from past lessons. They were forced to adapt to their lack of scoring.
Which makes you think that perhaps if the Caps start scoring more goals, they'll get away from a philosophy they may not inherently believe in. I'm talkin about the coach, not the players.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

FrankM73

it is not the stats but the experience that you are missing in your calculation.

Posted by: samb99 | January 26, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Arnott would be a minimal upgrade. I wish we'd stop talking about him. All the Arnott hype is based on his distant past. The Caps coulda had him and Morrow several yrs ago but didn't offer enough (imo)

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@Grossman and sgm3:

There is 100% a new system and anyone that says otherwise has not played the game and does not have a true understanding of the game of hockey. sgm3 stated it correctly. The wingers are much more involved in the defensive end then they were in previous years. It is fact. This is why we do not have as many break aways and two on ones as in the past.
Grossman, you did say one thing correct however, the defensive core is better than in the past few years. But you lost all meaning with that statement when you began your post with "there is no new system this year". Learn a little about hockey before making such statements in the future please.

Posted by: DillsburgPACapsFan | January 26, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Yesss, No DJ!

Posted by: Witter | January 26, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Completely agree that they did not come into this season with this system. It was done about 20 games in. Thus the "learning curve" losing streak, as the press seems to write it off as.

I think sgm said it right when he siad time will tell. It is still too early to tell if this will work or not. If Ovey gets going as he has in the past 2 games, and the defensive style stays the same, you will see the Caps winning a lot more games.

Half of me almost thinks Ovey and maybe BB have planned this slow start for him. Alomst hoping to save it for after the all star break and the playoffs. Conspiracy theory anyone?!?!?!

Posted by: DillsburgPACapsFan | January 26, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I still think the best (potentially available) option is Fisher. He's the perfect combo of a 3rd line and 2nd line center. Speed, aggression, strength, with a scoring touch. Not a great scoring touch, but in the playoffs you don't need a great scoring touch to score goals and be a factor. He'd be our version of Dubinsky, but even slightly stronger on his skates.

With the exception of the Oil (who won't be trading any young or midaged talent this yr), the West is still wide-open. Plenty of teams are in the hunt and won't necessarily be sellers.

The East is where you have a chance to make some moves. And it starts with Ottawa. The Devils don't have many attractive players unless they're willing to move a Clarkson or Zajac. And I don't think the Caps would be interested in Colin White.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

CStanton, the problem I have with what you are saying is that the success of your plan depends completely on Ovi, Backstrom, Green, and Semin getting their games back to something like normal levels. Ovi and Backstrom are playing better lately, but I am not as quick as the local media to pronounce them "cured." It still seems to me that if you plug-in your 3 solid complementary pieces, you still don't get playoff success unless the stars play better than they have been. And I suspect you have to give up one of the young goalies and one of the Big 3 prospects to get those complementary pieces. After all, it took SDR to get even a DJK. So I see your plan as very risky, with very uncertain prospects for playoff success this year and significant risk of losing a valuable asset in the future.

Posted by: zmega | January 26, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The problem with trading is that there are just too many ifs for the Caps...or unknowns.

Will/Is ovechkin getting his stride back
Will Semin show up in the playoffs
Can we trust Nuevy and Varly in playoffs and if so do we trade one and make Holtby backup?
How good are Eakin and Kuznetsov going to be...are they rising stars? Or is one expendable?
How much is the cap going up next season...Green will need a new contract soon.

I hope we get our center, but for those who say we can't beat such and such team in a 7 game series...you are blowing smoke out of your rear end!!

No one knows what a team is going to look like come playoff time. Of course I am worried about the Caps offense...but everything else is fine...the only reason we are loosing games is b/c we struggle to score 3 goals.

If 2 out of 3 (ovie, backs, semin) pull out of their funk and everything else stays more or less the same...I think we got a shot (a small one but not much smaller than even the top teams)

We are giving up less than 2 goals a game right now, our PK is strong, and if we start to score again things will look bright.

We have won many of our games by only a goal this season, but most of the games we have lost have been by 1 or 2. It goes both ways. Scoring is what needs to happen. A center will help with that...

the question becomes, with this year not looking as good as last year, so we trade off some of our promising future to take a shot at a cup now? Tough call...wouldn't want to be the person making that decision.

Posted by: capscoach | January 26, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I agree that Arnott would not a great addition like Fisher or Weiss, but he still would be an upgrade over MP and would provide a veteran presence at center and some size.

If the Caps are unable to acquire Fisher or another quality center, would you be okay with the Caps dealing a 3rd or 4th round pick for Arnott?

Posted by: sgm3 | January 26, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

you always have a problem with what i'm saying. lol

but you don't have to be "cured" in the reg season to have an impact in the playoffs. By pluggin in the right 3 pieces, the benefit to the entire team chemistry will be enough imo to make us a strong playoff contender. It won't take a lot to get a capable defensive dman and a strong role player. You can do that if you're willing to give up someone like a Schultz, pick, and Gordo (if anyone wants him).

The 2nd line center is the tougher one to work out but you shouldn't have to give up Orlov or Kuznetsov to get one. And if you do have to give that up, its not the end of the world. Go out and draft more capable Euros in the next draft, we seem to be good at that. My preference however would be NOT to get a rental player with our picks. If we can pick up someone like a Matt Cooke or Eric Nystrom type as a role forward, keep the guy past this season. Ditto on the dman unless he's an older vet. And if we give up a Kuz or an Orlov to get a Mike Fisher type, then keep Fisher if you can as well.

Giving up the "future" is overstated. You can mitigate that by acquiring players you hold onto for more than just one playoff run

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Semin is a waste of talent.

Take the chance. Trade him. I would even trade him to the Penguins or the Flyers.

All the Caps would need to do is play him physical, and he will not be able to perform...just like the last 2 playoffs.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 26, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 |

As long as the move isn't hyped as the "missing piece"
We can't draft anyone past the 1st or 2nd rounds anyway. I have no problems dealing a 4th rounder for Arnott. I think however it will take something like at least a 2nd rounder. Maybe even 2 picks. A 2nd and a 4th over 2 seasons. Lou will convince McPhee there's a bidding war and he'll wet himself trying to win that prize.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------

groan.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

With all the Fisher trade talk going on, who would the Caps have to offer to get the deal done?

Posted by: jwash4472 | January 26, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@Witter

not sure why you are excited about no DJK....we have a 7-2-3 record when he plays for us

Posted by: _stevo | January 26, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

let me restate.

I feel like I can make an educated projection and state fairly confidently that as the team currently stands (i said this before didn't i?). Anyway as the team currently stands, we don't have the horses to beat Boston, Phi, or the Rags. And probably Pitt.

Obviously, via injuries or trades, this can change. Bruce can also affect the outcome negatively or positively with his choice of roster.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

According to the Vegas lines the Caps have the 3rd best shot at making the Stanley Cup finals from the East. Behind Pittsburgh and Philly.

@jwash4472

I think it would take a pretty significant prospect such as Eakin and some other odds and ends.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 26, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Even if we get everybody we think we need and fill whatever holes we may have, there is still no guarantee of playoff success. You can certainly prepare for the style of hockey that is played in the playoffs but the reality of it is, you have to play the game. I can remember out here in Colorado when the Avs signed Kariya & Sellane. Everybody thought you should just hand them the Cup. Not so much.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 26, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

CStanton, I may not always agree with you, but I respect your opinions and your points always make me think.

Posted by: zmega | January 26, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 |

Completely agree. This seems to be forgotten sometimes by every fan in all sports.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 26, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jwash4472 |

Ottawa will be looking for youth and defense. They've lost Volchenkov, Chara and a couple other less significant pieces on D over the past few yrs. The jury is still out on Brian Lee as a prospect. They drafted a nice prospect in big Jared Cowan so I think much like the Caps when we dumped Gonchar etc, the Sens will be looking to retool on the back line.

Do we have any young dmen we'd be willing to give up? Schultz and Orlov. That's who I'd consider offering up.

And I'd consider doing a package deal. Who knows. Maybe the Caps get Fisher and Gonchar for 2 or 3 young players and a pick. Frankly the Sens are very deep on checking role players as well so if i was GM i'd pinch one of those guys. But I don't see McPhee acquiring a young role player. He'll go after a traditional veteran if he even goes after one for the bottom 2 lines, which i doubt. And it ain't gonna be Jarkko Ruutu. And Chris Neil will probably cost too much for us although man it would be nice to get Fisher and Neil in the same package.

Fisher, Neil, Gonchar. There you go. One team, fills your needs.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

While I don't the team as stands(not personnel wise but actual level of play wise) has it in them to beat Philly or Boston, I think they would beat the Rags in 6 games or less. They might have lost to the Rags the other night, and the Rags might have a ton of players out with injuries, but that team simply doesn't have a lot of talent. I know they have a great system, and a great goalie, but that team does not have the scoring or defensive talent to beat this Caps team 4 out of 7 times..I just don't buy it. Gaborik can steal a game or 2 and the Caps can certainly give away a game once in a while. But as of now I have absolutely zero concern with the Rangers.

If the Caps can start to score semi consistently again, I think they can take a run at Philly/Boston. I'm thoroughly impressed with the new defensive work and the Caps might be one of the best defensive teams in hockey if they continue to progress. I just need to see more of an evolved offensive attack before I would feel confident in playing one of those defensively sound teams.

What do you members of CI think of Tampa or Atlanta? Personally I think Tampa will pose an issue to whoever draws them in the first round. St Louis/Lecavilier/Malone - These guys have been to the finals before. Not to mention that other guy...

Atlanta plays great grind out hockey, but the goal-scoring and goaltending departments aren't quite ready for a 7 game series yet...

Posted by: BACKS | January 26, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------

i certainly didn't think that would do anything for Colorado. I thought that was a huge overestimation on their part that simply plugging in 2 one dimensional scoring threats on the same team would yield great dividends.

I mean look at Selanne in CO vs his career in Anaheim? Totally different team chemistry and line chemistry. In CO he has no diggers on his line. In Anaheim he gets to play with guys like Andy McDonald, Kunitz, Getzlaf etc.

You cannot simply plug in a player like Kariya and Selanne onto any team and expect a great output. Those guys need the right type of linemates. In their cases, its guys who can do a lot of dirty work. They didn't have that in CO.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Ottawa's goal-tending has been terrible. Unless they have a young star they have been hiding in the minors, I've got to believe they would want a goalie in any trade.

Posted by: zmega | January 26, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

What do you members of CI think of Tampa or Atlanta
--------------

I think Tampa is a pretender more than a contender. Much like the Caps were last yr. They don't play hockey the right way. They need 2 more forwards like Downie but I do like their acquisition of Ohlund. And Smaby's been developing too.

I think Atlanta will give the Caps a hard time only because they have no fear of us and they are a physical in your face team that is mainly a contender because of their system and attitude. On paper, they don't have the pieces. They are largely a grinding team of forwards who get the job done thru sheer will.
And I have to give their mgmt the benefit of the doubt that they'll pull in some more good pieces between now and the deadline.

So if i were the Caps, i'd rather face Tampa than Atlanta as things currently stand. This team still lacks the competitive fire and the horses to take on Philly,etc.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I would not want the Caps to get Gonchar. At $5.5M/yr for another two years after this that would be a waste, IMO. Too much money.

Remmember, Gonchar's contract was a 35+ contract so it can't be buried in the minors or anything.

The D-man to go after from Ottawa would be Phillips. Pending UFA and only making $3.5M this year. There will be a lot of interest in Phillips though.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 26, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

you all are missing the obvious move...

DJK and Erskine for Fisher (and we might be able to get Spezza)...*obvious sarcasm*

DJK is such a valuable piece, we might as well throw that "big chip" out in the market...

Who doesn't need a 5 min per game once every month player?

(even though he is on a pace to top Fehr in points...if played the same minutes)

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 26, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey I'm not even a big Gonchr fan although I give Pitt a lot of credit for redeveloping his two way game.

So Phillips or Gonchar would work. But even Phillips isnt' the player he once was.

@zmega

good point on the goalie situation in Ott. I don't follow goalies. That's my one weakness.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 26, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

cstanton wrote:

The only disheartening part to this is, its not by DESIGN. Its by NECESSITY.

But aren't you contradicting yourself here? Sure, they didn't change the system to start the year because it worked for them in the regular season. The Caps brain trust thought they could make it owrk in the playoffs.
1 eight game losing streak changed all that. They realized they had to change or things wouldn't get better. AND they had to change in mid season. That's not easy. It can be like having the speed limit set at 70 on every road in the country, and suddenly the next day the speed limits is 55 on highways, 40 on back roads and 25 in a subdivisions.

Just because BB and GMGM waited to change the system doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing. If they didnt change and kept everything the same and kept beating their heads against the wall, then they would deserve to be fired for incompetence and arrogance. But it takes courage to change. It is ballsy to throw out a system and start over in december.

They have to adjust on offense now. It is taking time. The old moves and passes aren't there anymore. The team abd the coaches are figuring it out. They are trying new things and isolating the ones that work, discarding the ones that dont. They have to wait for the chances to come instead of creating them like before.

If they can make it work before the playoffs, then we will be primed and ready for a playoff run. If not, maybe next year it all clicks and they become the juggernaut we expect them to be. This year will not make or break the franchise. most of the guys on the team are still under 28, with a plethora of 22 and younger guys playing important minutes.

Patience...