Aucoin Assigned to Hershey

The Capitals just announced that they've reassigned Keith Aucoin to the Hershey Bears. Aucoin played on the third line the past two games, stepping in for injured center Boyd Gordon, who has been nursing a sore back.

It's unclear what this move means about Gordon's status. Gordon was out on the ice at KCI Monday morning but did not make it through the entire practice. The Capitals' next game is Thursday at Atlanta, while Hershey plays at Wilkes-Barre Scranton on Friday.

By Katie Carrera  |  October 19, 2009; 5:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Walking Wounded
Next: Morning roundup: Focus is the key

Comments

Only my opinion: I don't like this move. I think Aucoin is the better player than Gordon. Aucoin forechecks a lot better and he creates chances. You don't see that from Gordon. Oh well.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | October 19, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I hope they keep Steckel on the fourth line. Stecks + Bradley + Laing/Clark/whoever has to be one of the best fourth lines in the league.

Posted by: butcherbaker | October 19, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Gordon/Aucoin is the classic defense/offense trade off, muffins doesn't bring much on the offensive side, however Aucion isn't much in his own end at the NHL level.

That being said, maybe its just wishful thinking, but something smells fishy here...

Posted by: superpaqman | October 19, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

LBS line should stay together. Good hustle and they pot the occasional goal. I'd like to see Caps give Nyls a chance on the third line with Fehr and maybe Clark or any other winger they'd want to rotate through. If Nyls is as dedicated as he says and in shape like it appears he is, it might provide a little scoring besides the first line.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | October 19, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Puckdawg69:
maybe he's being de-programmed from skating circles and learning how to forecheck and backcheck with all this 'practice' time. i'm sure he'll be ready to take the ice in a caps jersey by the trade deadline.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 19, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

We definitely sound short on forwards at the moment. But that could change Thursday. Here are the facts:

1) Gordon obviously could not make it through practice

2) Semin was too sick to practice and was sent to the doctor.

3) Aucoin was sent back to Hershey

4) Flash is still out, I assume.

So we are now down to 11 forwards, including Nylander. If the health of these people does not improve, there will be a callup of someone from Hershey on Wednesday or Thursday, either Aucoin or someone else.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 19, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

@Puckdawg69

LBS line? Actually, we have two lines that fit that moniker, our second line and our fourth line. Or at least the current cast of characters assigned to those two lines.

I'm guessing you're talking about our fourth line (who is actually higher in Boudreau's "book" than the so called third line.) Or would you like to keep our second line LBS cast of characters together as well?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 19, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75:

exactly - this smells of saving some cap space - aucoin will most likely be back on thursday.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 19, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Like at least once last year when Varlamov was sent down to Hershey during "Christmas break" but was "recalled" before the next Caps game.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 19, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

We are so close to the cap and I blame Ben Clymer! Him and his $366,667 cap hit.
Heck, the guy doesn't even have to watch our games or participate in practices and collected a big fat check (yes, I know. His contact was bought out years ago). If it wasn't for him, Aucoin could have stayed up for the next 3 days and remained with the team.
Blah, blah, blah ..............

Posted by: puckman | October 19, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan75:

In the previous thread, you mentioned something about a player you call Oisk. I am just curious who you were referring to, and why you refer to that player by that nickname. I have heard that nickname before (not sure who used it), and meant to ask about it a while ago...

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | October 19, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Caps

Oisk is Erskine. Back a long time ago, the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team had a pitcher named Carl Erskine who was called "Oisk" since that's how they would pronounce it in the Brooklynese accent.

Ever since, I have associated the name Erskine with Oisk.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 19, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

puckman:
clymer is also the reason we lost bourque - he's such a selfish b*st*rd. :D

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 19, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I was just wondering why they haven't played Nylander yet. Is he hurt or what? Why are we calling up players when we have a healthy player like Nylander available?

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 19, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Raber- I think our problem is holding on to a one goal lead. We try to extend one goal leads rather than sitting on our heels because that's the kind of team we have

--------------------------------

I agree Raber. But its not just the players to blame here. Boudreau is the one who sometimes plays a Semin instead of a more defensive player in a situation which requires a player to be responsible and non-reckless. If you're going to weaken the on-ice lineup w/a player like Semin whose strength is not defensive responsible hockey, the coach bears some of the blame. There's also a run and gun mentality that permeates thruout the team and that mentality seems to persist even in an obvious defensive situation. I can't remember how many times I've seen players shoot out of our own end looking for a breakout pass only to realize the puck never cleared our end. That too is a coaching aspect.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 19, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

- cstanton1
McPhee is trying to "hurt" Nylander's pride. I don't think it's working as he continues to be the hardest working player during practices.

Posted by: puckman | October 19, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

someone's showing off their troll side, I see.

Glad to see San Jose pull it together against the Rags -- 6-2 in the 3rd.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 19, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

I'm glad to see San Jose doing well against the Rags. (I'm no fan of that team. I'm sure if Crosby joined the Rangers, my hatred for them would outstrip my hatred of the Pens.)

Yes, CStanton, as usual, is one of Semin's greatest critic (along with the author of the "Storming the Crease" blog.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 19, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75:
cstanton1; a touch on the negative side but reasonably acurate nonetheless

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 19, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

It seems that Nylander is so deep in Boudreau's "Le Maison Des Chiens" that he won't be playing.

Yes, it seems that they'd rather call anyone up from the minors or play people out of position than play Nylander.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 19, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

hey i got a fan! lol

just a touch on the pessimistic side.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 19, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1:
i'm aware of most of the shortcomings of the team - however when i'm watching or thinking about a game, i don't tend to remember any of the poor play(s). i don't particularly like when players are bashed (mostly schultz and nyls right now) - but if i read between the lines of your posts - they are for the most part very astute and technically acurate. i'm not insinuating that you exclusively bash players - but do at time come down kind of hard on some of them. i've stated before that i'm a homer (not a 'rose colored glasses' or 'the sky is falling') fan and don't catch many other games even though i get the center ice package. your posts make me think a little more about the entire game - not just the good parts.
thanks

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 19, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Capsfan75. Always love to here the nicknames fans give players, and the reasons behind them (generally more amusing than just adding the "y" to the end of the name..full length or shortened).

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | October 19, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

of course I meant "hear" not "here"

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | October 19, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's time to try and put that almost 5 million dollar per, guy a few games and see how he does. Not a bad 3rd line center!

Posted by: jtlinville | October 19, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Caps

So now you know who "Oisk" is.

I have a few other names for people:

Semin -- Seminator (perfect name for a sniper)
Neuvirth -- "New Kid" since the first part of his name means "New"
Aucoin -- Gold Coin at the Corner

Or in the Chris Berman style:

Michael "No Man is an" Nylander
Eric "Life's Not" Fehr
Matt "Omar" Bradley

And I recall how people used to get a kick of the fact whenever Boyd Gordon and Tomas Fleischmann would get on the same line and it would be called "The Flash Gordon" line.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 19, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

you want pessimism?? go watch the skins... if they were just a decent football team, they would be 5 and 1

Posted by: joek443 | October 20, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

please none of those idiotic nicknames that Berman always comes up with... I love espn but not a fan of the Boomer.

he makes all of us sportsfans look dumber than 5th graders, hard to believe he went to Brown... LOL

Posted by: joek443 | October 20, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

caps defense > skins offense

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 20, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

berman = vitale = madden - they were all interesting for a year or two and like a bad comic - never updated their act

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 20, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

i agree... chris colisworth is really good, don't miss madden at all.

Posted by: joek443 | October 20, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

colinsworth

Posted by: joek443 | October 20, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

true, Snyderatto could be runnin the Caps instead. Boy, just thinking that makes me queasy

appreciate the sentiment cpt kirk.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 20, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

i still like ron weber best

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 20, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

have the Caps ever done anything to honor Ron Weber since he retired?

I think he quit just before the Caps moved to DC so it's been over 10 years now.

Posted by: joek443 | October 20, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

joek443:
he did leave just before the move - but this article doesn't describe him quitting.

this is a good read for any 'ron weber' fan

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 20, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Weber was a great lose and in my opinion no one has ever filled his shoes. I have to think that someone in TV and Radio Land with the help of a young Omalley (or however you spell her name) put the squeeze on Abe to replace Weber with a much younger guy. Nice of Abe to give him a two year notice.

Posted by: hock1 | October 20, 2009 2:56 AM | Report abuse

Aucoin:
Actually this move surprises me a bit. I thought Gordon might lose his job. BB keeps saying he wants more scoring from the other lines. Scoring comes from chances. I thought that with Aucoin that line was creating a few more chances. Trade a little d for a little o so to speak. And I thought Gordon might be in the doghouse because of the 3rd penalties.

Semin:
My take is that whenever you have a high risk high reward player like Semin there will be controversy. There will be detractors who point out every negative play and want to see him traded. There are others like myself who see the talent and are willing to take the risk. He has the best toe drag/curl and drag (whatever you want to call it) I've ever seen. When I saw him live I was literally sitting there with my jaw dropped. Perhaps being a player warps my perception in this case.

Nylander:
No comment. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | October 20, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I was never a Ron Weber fan. I just got really tired of the, "This is the 12th time in Caps history they've played the Penguins on a Tuesday when the outcome wasn't decided until the last three minutes and eight seconds. In those twelve tilts, the Caps are four, five and three ties."

The thing that surprises me about Aucoin is how he can seemingly go up and down w/o waivers or reverse waivers. I guess I just don't understand the process.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 20, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

re: aucoin. remember that in the nhl, the salary cap is calculated daily. so there is no reason to keep aucoin around for three or four days where there are no games just eating up cap space. better to send him "down" and call him up if they need him on thursday. my guess is that he is chilling in arlington waiting for the call back. i dont think the bears play until friday anyway.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 20, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

tominfl,
great weber memories. he did have a gift for useless information.

i think aucoin can go up and down w/out waivers cause he's an injury replacement...i think...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 20, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse