Avs Hire Konowalchuk as Assistant

The Colorado Avalanche just announced that they've hired former longtime Capital Steve Konowalchuk as an assistant.

Konowalchuk was Washington's fifth selection (third round, 58th overall) in the 1991 Entry Draft and spent parts of 13 seasons with the team. He was named captain in 2002-03 and held the position until he was traded to the Avs in 2004.

From the AP:

DENVER -- The Colorado Avalanche have hired former players Steve Konowalchuk and Adam Deadmarsh as coaches.
Konowalchuk will be an assistant coach and Deadmarsh will be video and development coach. The hires were announced Friday.
They join coach Joe Sacco and assistant coach Sylvain Lefebvre, who were hired on June 4 after the Avs fired Tony Granato and shook up their front office.
Konowalchuk played 790 games in 14 NHL seasons with Washington and Colorado. He had 171 goals and 225 assists. He also appeared in 52 playoff games, with nine goals and 12 assists.
Deadmarsh played 567 games in nine seasons with the Quebec-Colorado franchise and the Los Angeles Kings. He had 184 goals and 189 assists.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 19, 2009; 2:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Wins Second Straight Hart Trophy
Next: Photos: Ovechkin & Co. in Vegas

Comments

congrats to kono! good for him. he was always a great guy for the caps

Posted by: nwilson2 | June 19, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Soon the Avs will hire Peter Forsberg and David Aebischer as strength and conditioning and goalie coach respectively.

Zing.

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | June 19, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

That's interesting ... I wonder who the Caps will hire? Hmm ...

117:
So I take it that you have a long haul, too?

Posted by: Boo- | June 19, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

GREAT! There goes my last ditch effort suggestion of trading Jose. Anyone know if Jim Carey is stil available?

Posted by: j3rockstar | June 19, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

117:
So I take it that you have a long haul, too?

Posted by: Boo- | June 19, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, out near West by God.

Posted by: Section117 | June 19, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

117:
As in WVA, or just waaaaaay out there? If the latter, sounds like it is right around the corner from me! In fact, Dave is just up the street. ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | June 19, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Boy do I miss that Dahlen, Hapern, Konowalchuk line!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | June 19, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Deadmarsh, as in infamously misspelled as "Deadmarch" on the Cup and nearly cried when informed of it?!

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 19, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Good for Kono. Great player for the Caps.

Posted by: adhardwick | June 19, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Good for Kono, or as we used to like to call him "The Separator" for his fight with Michael Peca one year. I think it was either the last game of the season or next to the last game. They got into a fight and Peca ended up with a separated shoulder. After that, we always looked at Kono's bug eyes as a sign that he could snap at a moment's notice. :) I'm kidding, of course. Always liked Kono -- very classy guy, who gave his all and, like wtf_e_fehr posted,Dahlen, Halps and Kono were a heck of a line. Good for him and Sacco too!

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | June 19, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

117:

Posted by: Boo- | June 19, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

As in WVA.

Posted by: Section117 | June 19, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

117:
Good grief, so you do drive further than I do! Do you go to all the games? And all the DCU games? Mrs. 117, too? BTW, are you as ready for the summer to be over as I am? ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 19, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

@ Puckdawg69
Oh man, I remember that fight, it was towards the end of a very successful season, I believe it was 2000. The Caps won that game and Kono lit him up. Soo satisfying.

wait, are you sure it wasn't against Barnaby? Now I'm not sure.

Posted by: Andoy | June 20, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

117:

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 19, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Yep, even the preseason ones. Can't let money go to waste. As the team's gotten more popular, so have I, so I think I'll be splitting some games among folks.

And as soon as summer starts, you let me know. It's been like Seattle so far this year.

Posted by: Section117 | June 20, 2009 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Rod Langway for Defensive Coach!

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 20, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

A little reading material to keep everyone busy until Tarik has a new post:

117:
Funny how that popularity thing works! :-) So your wife goes to all the games with you? Mr. Boo is about 50/50 these days (although I don't think he has ever gone to a preseason game), but I go to most. Yes, it has been an odd summer but that's OK - I can't stand oppressive heat (I have snow in my blood).

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 20, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Andoy

It was against Peca. I would have much preferred had it been Barnaby since I always disliked that guy. However, I was surprised it was those two guys. Although Peca was a hard-nosed player, he wasn't a regular fighter and neither was Kono. I recall that Peca started it because he didn't like the check that Kono put on him (or maybe a teammate) but then Steve The Separator Konowalchuk got the better of him. :)

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | June 20, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm here posting since my daughter's swim meet ended early due to rain.

@Boo,

So you drive all the way from West VA to the games? That's dedication. Yes, this year has been a rainy year. Climate change, anyone?

@117,

You too, on the long drive. Looks like you sit in the same section as me. (I'm new to the full STH club but an old fan.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 20, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a DC United fan myself. In our case, baseball is our other game. (My husband and I are long time baseball fans.) He'll follow any sport, does every fantasy sport, and knows everyone's stats.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 20, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75:

No no, I'm not in WVA, just waaay west in VA. I don't think 117 is in WVA either, but it sounds like he is closer than I am. I go to every game that I can - I think I hit all but like 4 last season. It's a haul but I'm addicted. Heck, I would go now if they were playing!

Welcome to the full STH club! :-) Good you got in when you did, seeing as there is a waiting list now. My how times have changed. It used to be easy to move around as a STH. Now? Not so much. I am glad that I locked my seats in when I did ... there is no way I could have gotten them even earlier this season. I suppose there are good things and bad things about DC becoming a hockey town!! ;-) Speaking of, I'm guessing that preseason games are going to be a zoo this year (it used to be that there were only about half a dozen of us there).

Oh my goodness ... do I see sunshine outside my window?!?

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 20, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@Boo,

How far west in VA are you? Like Winchester, VA or more like Sterling or Ashburn or Centreville?

I know for us, we'll have an easier time getting to games on the weekends than during the week. (I initially wanted to do like about a 20 game plan or so but they're going to do a lot more premium games this year so price wise, we may as well do the whole thing.)

I bought my tix on the second day they were available. (This past year, I had gotten a six game plan, plus a 3 game plan, plus a few other random games.) Gee, nice that the kids are about grown with my last one going off to college. (My first one is Ovi's age.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 20, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

yay for Kono. heart and soul player it was sad to see his career end so early.

Posted by: DER27 | June 20, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@Boo,

It’s kinda the other way around. I gave up the STHs a few years ago, she picked them back up in ‘07. Who am I to say no? Oh and to clarify, I’m out in Arseburn.

@CapsFan75,

We should meet up at a blah game against the Avs or something.

Posted by: Section117 | June 20, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I remember Kono being very nice to my children back at Piney Orchard. Somewhere around here is a Kono-signed puck. All the best to him.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 20, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse