Nicklas Backstrom: 'I felt okay'

Star center Nicklas Backstrom was one of the first players off the ice this morning, but assured reporters that he will be able to suit for tomorrow's playoff opener against Montreal.

Backstrom confirmed that an illness, not an injury, caused him to miss yesterday's practice.

"I'm feeling better," Backstrom said. "I felt better than yesterday. I felt okay. I was sick. I was laying down in bed all day."

Asked if he'll be able to play, he said: "I'm getting ready for tomorrow. I'll be fine for [the game] and I'm excited for it."

He declined to go into details about his illness.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 14, 2010; 11:28 AM ET
 | Tags: Montreal, National Hockey League, Nicklas Backstrom, Nicklas Bäckström, Washington Capitals
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro delays this weekend could impact game travel
Next: Theodore suffers 'stinger,' expected to play

Comments

Swedish Machine Doesn't Break.

Posted by: Aldred15 | April 14, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Could be allergies, there's times this time of year I get so bad that it pretty much knocks me out.

- ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 14, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

hungover

Posted by: _stevo | April 14, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

ate too many meatballs at IKEA.

Posted by: blushfilms | April 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Good thing Backs is healthy. This is especially important if you believe the player profiles WaPo posted. 668 assists in one season is an incredible figure. I hope he picks up at least 100 in the playoffs.

Posted by: dwelkinor | April 14, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

haha!

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 14, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Alright, now I just need an update on Theodore and I can finalize my pool picks. Might need to switch my double points goalie to Jimmy Howard for the 1st round.

Posted by: Stu_c | April 14, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Nick wasn't as truthful or eager to tell the full truth like Chan Ho Park was to the NY media. hehe

Posted by: nats_fan | April 14, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Bäckis = über Volvo.

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he had diarrhea like Chan Ho Park did opening day for the Yankees.Google Chan Ho Park and the Diarrhea interview.

Posted by: tjcronin79 | April 14, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Migraines -- didn't he leave a game before with a migraine?

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | April 14, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

He left the Kings game after the 1st period with a migraine.

Posted by: calhokie | April 15, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse