Backstrom: 'Lundqvist Is Just a Human Being'

As I mentioned earlier, the NHL is reviewing John Tortorella's bottle-tossing incident. But I'm told there's no timeframe for a decision. Keep in mind the Rangers have only two coaches behind the bench -- Tortorella and Jim Schoenfeld.

On to some other notes:

Killing 'Em
After ranking 17th on the penalty kill in the regular season, the Caps have been lights-out when down a man against the Rangers. Yes, they are probably being helped by a Rangers power play that ranked 29th in the regular season, and, at times during this series, has struggled to get going. But it still deserves mention that the Caps' penalty kill has extinguished 18 straight short-handed situations, including four last night, since yielding two power play goals in Game 1.

"There are things we've tweaked from the regular season," defenseman Tom Poti said. "We're trying let Varly see the shots and not make too much traffic and commotion in front of the net. That's when problems start. We're making a conscious effort to block out and let Varly see the shots."

The Caps' penalty kill is 90.9 percent in the playoffs, which ranks fourth.

Dept. of Defense
The Caps have been better in this department, too, especially since Brian Pothier joined them for Game 2. The Caps have yielded only 23.8 shots per game, which is tops in the playoffs. As a group, they've also done a better job of limiting second-chance shots.

"I think we're playing with the puck quite a bit, that's one thing," forward Brooks Laich said. "The other two things are our forwards really back-pressuring and our D-men are doing a great job stepping up at the blue line. It's tough as a forward when the D-men are up on you. You have no gap or place to be creative and make plays and our D-men are doing a great job of that now."

Unplugged
If there is an area of concern, it's the power play. The Caps have scored four goals on 29 opportunities against the league's top-ranked penalty kill unit, including an 0 for 7 showing last night. To be fair, Coach Bruce Boudreau played spread the power play minutes all over the place in Game 5. Even Matt Bradley got 2:42 of power play time as the grinder was given the green light to go for the hat trick. But even if you throw out last night's blanking, I think everyone agrees that the Caps need their power play to contribute if they're going to come back and win this series.

Shots Disparity
The Caps have out-shot the Rangers 170-119 in the series, yet they trail the series 3-2.

Paying the Price
Speaking of shots, for the first time all series, the Caps had more blocked shots than the Rangers in Game 5 (21-11). The explanation?

"I think it's more a sense of urgency than anything else," Boudreau said. "Our backs are against the wall. They still have one to give. We know every mistake can cost us the season. If you're going to sacrifice, and you don't normally sacrifice, you had better sacrifice now."

First Thing's First
The team that has scored first has won the past four games. Brian Pothier, for one, said he notices that the Rangers are "a totally different team whey they score first."

"I think what they do is they take all five guys and they contract and they really limit us to perimeter shots," he said. "They don't have to make really any attempt to push for that goal because they have the lead. But when we get the lead first, they're doing a lot more; they have to stretch, they have to push, they have to try and create some opportunities and that opens up their fortress a little bit. So it's huge [scoring first], especially against that team. It's a big obstacle to overcome if you let them score first."

Quotable
Alex Ovechkin on tomorrow's approach: "Well, we're now a desperate team. We're losing. We don't have lots of opportunities to make some mistakes. You have to be all the time great. You have to be all the time 100 percent. We're still losing and tomorrow is probably the biggest game in our year."

Boudreau on whether he can feel a shift in momentum: "During a game, yes, but there's always too much time to regroup [between games]. Every team seems to regroup. Even after Game 1, we regrouped and had a much better Game 2. We had a lot better Game 3, they had a lot better Game 4, we had a lot better Game 5. So I don't think over a series, momentum really means anything."

Backstrom on Henrik Lundqvist: "We saw that Lundqvist is just a human being, so that's good."

Ovechkin on the water bottle-throwing incident: "Good job by our fans. Our fans are one more player for us. They do what they have to do for us. They scream and they're loud. Maybe it was too much to [throw] beer or water or whatever. But sometimes that happens. And maybe that's going to happen tomorrow against us, too. You never know."

Ovechkin on afternoon games: "I don't like to play afternoon games. I feel kind of sleepy. You don't have lots of time to wake up and do what you normally do before games at 7 p.m. It's TV, it's money for the league."

That's everything from KCI. I'll update later if a decision on Tortorella is handed down.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 25, 2009; 2:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHL Reviewing Tortorella Incident
Next: Video: Mike Wise's Chain Letter

Comments

Oh no. Ovechkin please do not be sleepy. We cannot afford to have him sleepy in the most important game this year. It also worries me that this game is in the afternoon...

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

DaveUS,
Replied to you at the end of the previous thread.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 25, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

B├Ąckis with the awesome quotes.

I really like how Ovie acknowledges the fans. Regardless of who started what, a bunch of normal people got a multi million dollar making coach to flip out. That is intense.

Posted by: trunkenmath | April 25, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I remember he said that about one weekend set when we had to play Sat and Sun Rachel.

Oh yeah he had 5 goals in those 2 games.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@DaveUK

Great response, I know it would be great if your team would just win convincingly and going away...well, I guess the Caps did that last night so we can't complain too much.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

despite what ovie says, he generally plays quite well in afternoon games. Recall games versus Detroit, Ottawa, and Pittsburgh, anyone?

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 25, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, any word if the NHL will be looking at Orr's clotheslining of Semin last night? I was sitting about as far away as one could be from the incident and it was clear as day that is was not only deliberate but malicious. Never in years and years of watching hockey (including ECHL and D3 college hockey where fighting was an acceptable substitution for skating skills, apparently!) have I ever seen a player do something like that.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 25, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Just looked through the schedule. Looks like the caps were 6-2-1 in afternoon games. Not too worried about Ovie waking up for this one.

Posted by: JSeagull1 | April 25, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Who wants who to win this afternoon? Philly or Pittsburgh? It's a hard decision for me. I hate both teams equally as much.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Definitely agree with Pothier's comments about scoring 1st. Except for Game 1, when we score first we play loose and aggressive; and the Rangers are a terrible team when they have to play catch up.

When the NYR score first they dump the puck and grind it out, and we seem to press too much and get out of our game plan.

Lets hope we get on the board first tomorrow! If have a feeling if we do, we'll be seeing Game 7 here in DC.

Posted by: adamkatzen | April 25, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Philly. I want that series to be a bloodbath. Short of that, a drag down knock out 7 games series. I think the hockey gods owe us at least that much, after testing our faith like they have thus far.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 25, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 25, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Wait until Steckel gets 2 or 3 tomorrow!!

Posted by: adamkatzen | April 25, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@rachel......6 overtimes would be good, and then go to 7 games...

Posted by: RichC3 | April 25, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"I've quite enjoyed getting various texts, calls and e-mails that start with "Who the heck is MATT BRADLEY?!?!?!?!"

Posted by: RedBirdie

He is a highly regarded professor with a degree in KICK @SS!

(Sorry, had to get that out...he deserves it after last night's game!)

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 25, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie, @Rachel

For game 6, I'm rooting for Philthy. No, I don't like them but want a nice hard-fought series that goes to 7 games. Even better, I would like the 7th game to go into multiple overtime periods. Tire them out so the winner has nothing left.

Pitt's guys remind me of my younger daughter's middle school rivals. The trash talk going on between their guys and ours brought back a lot of memories of her MS days. (Philthy may be filthy but....) I hope the winner of that series gets dumped in Round 2 regardless of who they play.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

rachel216-

I'm going with the Flyers (difficult to say). My rationale? While I dislike their organization and fans, there are a number of players I simply respect as a hockey fan - Carter, Knuble, and even Biron. I think the only exception is Brier. I still can't get behind him. The Penguins, however, I despise from top to bottom, and especially their whiny, #1 center. Wish we were able to keep Cooke, and imagine what we'd be like if Gonchar was still with us, but overall, they do more to piss me off than the Flyers. Make sense?

Posted by: gonchpup | April 25, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@gonchpup

I agree with you. The Pens piss me off more than the Flyers. Malkin is the male version of my younger daughter's middle school rival (and shares a birthday with her) and Crosby is even worse.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

The league has an insane bias against the Caps because they are still hoping to have Crosby be the face of the league - not Ovie. So, don't expect Bettman to do anything about Orr or Tortorella or Avery. If those things happened against Pittsburgh, he would probably have cancelled the series and declared the Pens the winner.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 25, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

From a tactical and just hockey fan perspective I'd want Philly to force a Game 7. From my ears and my stomach I'd hope Pitt jumps on them early and often so I never have to hear "Mike Richards" and "leader" in the same sentence 50 times today.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Little excerpt from NHL.com series blog page (Dan Rosen reporting):

They are, though, pretty confident based on how they played in Game 5 and how they beat Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist four times, including one on a gift.

"If Lundqvist doesn't play well, they're in big trouble," Alex Ovechkin. "It's probably 90 percent of their team is Lundqvist right now."

How about that statement everybody? Ovechkin just put it out there, didn't he?

Gotta love it.
__

Well, we all are thinking it, but I think it is pretty gutsy for Ovi to go ahead and actually say it so bluntly.

Win or lose, tomorrow's game should be good!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 25, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

By Barry Svrluga, Washington Post, Apr. 25, 2009
The agitating that happened next, though, surprised the Capitals fans seated in the first few rows, taking in a Game 5 that would either save their season or end it. With 13 minutes 27 seconds remaining in the game, Tortorella, the fans said, became so angry with them that he hurled a water bottle over the plexiglass that separates the bench from the crowd, a bottle that struck Capitals' season ticket-holder Claudette Chandonia in the head. He then grabbed one of his player's sticks, stepped onto the bench and lunged toward the crowd, with the stick, as his entire Rangers team -- and the four game officials -- stood around him on the bench and on the ice.

"He was losing and he was frustrated, I guess," said Chandonia, who lives in the District. "I couldn't believe it. I looked up, and he was throwing the water bottle -- and then it hit me right here, right in the head, and it bounced off me."

Fans in the seats around Chandonia, who said she was struck by the water bottle, confirmed the incident, and an in-house video feed from Verizon Center showed Tortorella throwing the bottle over the outstretched hand of a security guard. Fans also said Tortorella squirted water through two panes of glass before he threw the bottle.

Posted by: CodePoetry | April 25, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

We need to have someone get Ovie some Red Bull for tomorrow afternoon's game so he won't be sleepy!! Rock the Red Bull!!! Go Caps!!!!

Posted by: rvan641 | April 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope the boys are putting in some video and ice time work on the PP today. I have a feeling it's going to be pivotal for us to get a big goal or two a man up tomorrow or possibly Tuesday night.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I hate that NBC gets to decide the times. Again, a football team wouldn't have to start at 8am, 5 hours earlier than usual, or at 11am. Bettman does hockey no favors at all.

Posted by: oo7 | April 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Get Flash off the PP.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | April 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Rachel ...Im sure glad you brought up spelling the other day..http://www.faniq.com/blog/Washington-Nationals-Misspell-Jerseys-As-Natinals-Blog-22464

You might want to check this out.... LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 25, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

SC: Yeah, I saw that. Hey, did you watch the game last night?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Game ?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 25, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Flyers and Pens are really going at it now with a bunch of fights now occuring.

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 25, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

One dumb ass in the New York media is claiming that the black guy in the blue jacket, the security guard with his arms up, threw beer on Totawhoever.

Posted by: MKadyman | April 25, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Score is now 3-1 Flyers and a bunch of fights just broke out as Pens scored their first goal today. It is abut midway through second period.

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 25, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Ovie's goal just amazing? I bet your jaw dropped after you saw that. (Presuming you didn't get pissed off and turn it off after it was 2-0.)

But Ovie needs to stop falling down. Haha! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

And you ppl talk about throwing bottles ...That guy was pretty brave with a glass sheet to hide behind

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 25, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

That was to SC. Looks like Philly win force game 7. Pit is that good.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Pens just scored, now 3-2...this is a wild 2nd period with three goals scored already.

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Will force game 7.

MKadyman: Are you serious? What kind of "security guard" is he?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

The guy in a one man show....boat! If all he does is try to score himself than he is bond to score the odd time ...instead of being a team player which he is not! That 1s why this 2nd place team is going to lose to a 7th seed... they are still down 3-2 right? lol

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 25, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Philthy, tighten up the defense. Or score a few more goals. One way or another, win this game and force Game 7.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

As much as I think he deserves it, I doubt Torts will be suspended. As I recall, he was the Tampa coach who intentionally sent too many men onto the ice against us when shorthanded at the end of last year, just to have someone out there to drop his gloves. You'd have thought that would have earned him a suspension, but nothing came of that incident (other than him getting deservedly canned as the Bolts coach).

Posted by: jburksva | April 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Philthy on PK, once again. They're living up to being filthy, once again.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

SC: Again, you know nothing about this team. Ovie is a team player. It just so happens that he is incredibly talented and can score goals like that. How could you think Ovie is a showboat? He does everything he can to help his team win. He gets just as excited when one of his teammates scores. He is the very definition of a team player. Did you see in game 3 where Ovie prevented a breakaway? Yeah, that guy is a showboat. LOL!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

fans throwing junk is low class like philadelphia.

Posted by: am_jim | April 25, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Pens have now tied the game 3-3. Still in 2nd period.

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 25, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Not very good goaltending in this game

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

GO FLYERS.

I LOVE ALL OF YOU. EXCEPT YOU SC1907. I LIKE-LIKE YOU.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 25, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

SC07 I laugh at you. But you're right, Ovie has 0 assists in this series. Oh...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Swine Flu outbreak in New York?

What?!?!?!

Posted by: richmondphil | April 25, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907 - Some questions for you.

1. The 'One Man Show Boat' has equal asists to goals every year. Why is it so if he's a show boat?

2. How is it that OV played with Clark and Zubrous and both of them had career years as a result?

3. Explain why you feel OV should play more like _______ (insert the player you secretly nut hug and compare OV to. And DON'T name a center. Compare apples to apples. Pick a winger)

3. Explain why the favorite comparison by hockey analysts much greater than you or I always choose OV 2nd as the player they'd pick to build their team? Why isn't you're player named in #3 their answer for #2?

If you don't answer these questions, i have to conclude that you're either jealous of OV, or are pissed your team didn't win the draft lottery.

I unfortunatly have read some of your OV bashing posts, and while you try to come off unbiased, you are.

To what that bias is, only a nutless keyboard warrior like yourself refuses to devulge.

OV is not enough to win a championship. No one player is. It takes a complete team, and complete team effort.

What makes OV so dynamic is that he doesn't need an all start center to feed him to score a ton of goals. IE look at his stats before Backstrom. And don't bring up +/-, the whole team was horrible then.

You can't compare OV to Datsyuk, Crosby, Richards, Lecavalie, or Malkin. Thats wing vs. center. They're different positions with different reponsibilities.

If you were builing a team, you wouldn't start with a winger period or the O period, now would you? But when it came to building your offense, your lying to yourself if you wouldn't take OV to fill a WING position, after you got your top pick Cetner. Stick OV on a line with 2 x 15 grinder type guys, and still, that line would contribute BIG time offensively, and provide BIG hits for momentum swings. That is enough to be one of the top 2 lines on any team.

You can can secretly nug hug your favorite player / team, or make a comparison to them with justification to back up your comments.

Otherwise, a nutless blog troll is all you are.

Posted by: floms | April 25, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I would actually grab someone like Iginla first. Can play center and winger both at superstar levels.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 25, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Some edits -

'Stick OV on a line with 2 x 15 goal type grinder guys'.

Posted by: floms | April 25, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

floms: don't you know that SC doesn't answer people's questions?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Now 4-3 Pens, Are the Flyers Done??

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 25, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Iginla vs. Ovechking is probobly the best comparison for OV in today's NHL. Power winger/(sometimes center) vs. Power winger.

Crosby (or any other true centerman) vs. OV is not. That's a media based argument, or Canada vs. Russsia underlying debate.

Lets see if SC1907 has half a pair and answers my questions. Lets see what 'GOD' like team / player he is holding the CAPs / OV against.

Posted by: floms | April 25, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

That Semin guy has been worthless this series too. Only 6 points just like Ovie and tied for the lead in goals scored for the playoffs. Terrible.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I've seen that he doesn't answer peoples questions.

I was hoping to lure in a nutless troll and expose the fraud that he/she is.

Posted by: floms | April 25, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I like to akin Ovechkin to Pavel Bure.

Hopefully Ovie will not get injured early though.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 25, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

wrong bubba. OV has at least 4 assists. 2 in first game.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | April 25, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

floms:
he'll never answer you - he never does. if semin every plays 80 games, OV ever gets 75 assists or the caps ever win the cup - i think he'll just go ahead and kill himself. it would appear that he has nothing else to live for other than rag on the caps and their fans.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 25, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk -

He probobly won't.

I have NO PROBLEM with critics of OV and/or the Capitals. As a Caps fan, I'm one othem.

Win/Lose tomorrow or this series, the CAPs are not a complete team yet, in terms of having all the player components needed to win a championship.

BUT, someone like that who talks 5hit without backing it up, should be nominated to wikipedia for the defenition of 'Forum Troll'.

Posted by: floms | April 25, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Biron suckss

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Poor Philly. Damn Pens.

Posted by: fnralch | April 25, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

42 seconds for the Flyers to do something...

Posted by: MReilly9 | April 25, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Man, I DO NOT wanna see a handshake tomorrow.

CAPS: do not do what the FLyers did today.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

C A P S

CAPS CAPS CAPS

Posted by: richmondphil | April 25, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

5 straight goals from the Pens and bye-bye Philly.

Posted by: fnralch | April 25, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping that the Flyers would win just to give Caps a little inspiration going in that other teams are forcing game 7. But maybe Ovie and the gang knowing that Pittsburg could be next could really get up for tomorrow's game.

And please tell me that there will be no partying the night before this game. No one could be that stupid right?

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 25, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe Philly had a 3-0 lead and lost. Here's one good thing: If we were to get a 3 goal lead there's no way the Ranger's offense could mount a comeback. I said it already but I think we need two goals tomorrow and Semyon will make it hold up.

I agree with you sasha_206. It could've been a little bit of inspiration for the Caps but the Caps know they can do it, they almost did last year.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't even want to think about facing the Pens right now. First we gotta beat the Rangers two more times.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe Orakpo fell to the Skins at 13...god bless the Jets for taking the idiot decision out of our hands. This weekend will be flawless in my book after we force a Game 7 tomorrow.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

You might want to check this out.... LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 25, 2009 4:10 PM

Hey troll, MAJESTIC made the error in spelling, not the Nationals. They even apologized for it: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090421&content_id=4368396&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

How typical. An ignorant troll fails to get his story straight.

Posted by: Chase4 | April 25, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

If NJ wins, we wont even get the pens.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 25, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

That's right, phil, Boston would. The B's will crush the penwhines.

Posted by: Chase4 | April 25, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

love to see the Flyers go down like that and its just more proof as to what a phenomenal coaching job Dan Bylsma has done since taking over. Unreal.

Kimmo Timmonen and Ryan Parent were awful the whole series for the Flyers.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 25, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

lol Dave, echo your thoughts on Orakpo

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 25, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

the Eagles just finally picked up a legitimate wide receiver in the draft for the first time in 15 years - Jeremy Macklin

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 25, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Red Bull causes cancer, Caps beat the rangers and DC United down the metroscum, that would be a good day.

Lets Go Caps!!!
Vamos United!!!

Posted by: zosodave | April 25, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

@cs

Make a good point, why not trade a 2nd round pick for Boldin? Also they did get DeSean Jackson in the 2nd round last year he was pretty darn good for them.

I am pleased beyond words that we got Orakpo, I've been talking about him for 3 months now hoping we could get him at #13, I thought his workouts went too well and he would go higher. Al Davis get's an assist for being a moron and picking Heyward-Bey at #7 causing Crabtree to fall for the 49ers. Also Buffalo taking Maybin at #11.

GAME 6 TOMORROW BRING IT HOME I'M ON CLOUD 9

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

So... planning ahead, if NJ finishes Carolina, we would meet them in the next round, and Boston would deal with the Pens. I kind of like the scenario. If (when) we comeback against the Rags, I feel we will match up well with the Devils. Hopefully, the Bruins can beat up on the Pens and create a Caps/Bruins matchup for the conference final. What a great series THAT would be, and if the regular season is any indicator, we might be playing for the cup!

Posted by: gonchpup | April 25, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I'll be the happiest person in the world if we win tomorrow! I won't stop smiling. Make it happen Caps!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Rachel, I agree with you 100%. In the future I think we should just ignore SC as he's nothing more than a troll. My 2 cents....

Posted by: washcapsfan | April 25, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Caps/Bruins would cause epic RedBirdie Family Disharmony. Like, I'm pretty sure most of my family would cease to speak to me, other than yelling. (granted, they haven't recovered from the B's OT loss. Saying "Alex Semin" causes them to twitch. Its great!) But, oh, that series would so be worth it, right down to the Caps winning.

No, seriously, we have a boat riding on the potential outcome of this series. B's win, my mom and brothers get the speedboat of their dreams. Caps win? Dad and I will be celebrating by popping bottles of champagne on our new sailboat.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 25, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't feed the trolls. Don't even react. It worked for the Caps with Avery, it will work just the same with SC if you ignore him. He obviously knows nothing about hockey.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 25, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie -

I hope you enjoy your new sailboat!

Posted by: gonchpup | April 25, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup, thanks! (We have to still come up with a name. Something Caps-related, I think)

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 25, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

@snakegriffin

Amen!

Posted by: washcapsfan | April 25, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Even though I wanted the PHI/PIT series to go to a game 7, inside I am smiling because I hate the flyers!! and their obnoxious fans!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

So whoever wins would face either Carolina or NJ?

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 25, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm very confused about the seedings after the first round. It hurts my head. =( If we win we play the winner of CAR/NJ? And if Rangers win they play the Pens?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie:
boat name: Rock the RedBirdie!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 25, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

@sasha_206

It all depends on whether the Caps or Rangers win their series (not to mention whoever wins the Carolina/NJ series).

If the Caps win and NJ also wins, Pitt will play Boston and the Caps play NJ

If the Caps win and Carolina wins, Pitt plays the Caps and Boston plays Carolina.

If the Rangers win and NJ wins, Boston plays the Rangers and NJ plays Pitt, with NJ having home field advantage

If the Rangers win and Carolina wins, Boston plays the Rangers and Pitt plays Carolina and Pitt has home field advantage.

By the way, Sasha, is your real name either Alexander or Alexandra? At least that's how the Russians do things.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Capt Kirk, that would sooooo tick off my brothers, its perfect!

(mind you, the boats hinge on the Caps and Bruins meeting in the Eastern Finals. If that doesn't happen, no boats)

Rachel, the teams a re-seeded after each round. So, IF the Caps pull this out, and the Devils win, the next round would be:

Bruins vs. Penguins (may the forces of slightly lesser evil prevail)
Caps vs. Devils

If the Hurricanes win, it changes significantly, because the Hurricanes were a #6 seed. so:
Bruins vs. Hurricanes (Bs for the win so I can get my boat!)
Capitals vs. Penguins

I shall not discuss match-ups involving the Rangers.........

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 25, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

@rachel,

It sounds like you dislike the Flyers more than the Pens. Yes, their fans are obnoxious but so are the Pens fans.

I dislike the Penguins more than the Flyers although I dread the Caps playing the Flyers more than I dread them playing Pitt. (But, of course, Bylsma, is a miracle worker with the Pens.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie

Glad you're optimistic in not discussing playoff scenarios involving the Rangers (or should I call them the Rags).

How'd you come up with Red Birdie as your User ID? I confess, it makes me think of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. (Okay, they're my favorite team.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

check out this photo gallery. Lots of pics of your boy Mikey from last night's Bears game.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 25, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, thanks CapsFan75 & RedBirdie for clearing it up. CapsFan75, I hate both teams but I think the reason why I hate the Flyers more is because I'm still bitter about last year. But you're right, both teams have obnoxious fans. (And obnoxious players.)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

rachel216:
the second round does reseeding
if we win:
#1 bos - in
#2 was - in
#3 nj
#4 pit - in
#5 phi - out
#6 car
#7 nyr - out
#8 mon - out
#1 bos gets the lowest seed left that wins - #6 car (if they beat nj) or #4 pit

#2 was would play #3 nj if nj wins and would play #4 pit if #6 car wins

hope that is not too confusing

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 25, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I wanted the PIT-PHI Dilemma Cup series to go 7. With that goal alone in mind, I clapped---once!--for a goal by Pee-here. Since it happened, my dog seems wary of me. I feel dirty and diminished.

Will this feeling go away by itself, or do I need more cowbell?

Posted by: redlineblue | April 25, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ: Thanks!

tess2201: Thanks for that! Those pics are awesome! Neuvy is soooo cuteee. My fave is the one where he's giving his stick to a fan. (Wish it was me) ;) So cuteeee. So happy for Neuvy, he's taken over for this team. Cause before it was him and Machesney, now Neuvy is leading the team. He is tops in the AHL in GAA and save %! So happy for him!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Let's not get crazy with this 2nd round stuff. We haven't even forced Game 7. The boys need to come out and play with even more urgency than they did last night. If they do that I have no doubts we'll bring it home and run over the Rags Tuesday night.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Tess: Do they have interviews of the Bears players after the game?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

just keep telling yourselft you were rooting for pit to lose - there should be no shame in doing that. if however you wore orange today... i can't help you - no one can and your dog will probably bite you and then run away. :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 25, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Rachel, you mean posted on the web? Not that I know of. Although I saw interviews on the local news last night. I don't know if they're posted or not. I'll check.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 25, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

While I'm certainly bitter about the Flyers beating us last year, I have enough other reasons to hate the Pens. I have bitter memories of other playoffs past involving the Pens. Plus, their current cast of characters reminds me of my younger daughter's middle school rivals, especially Malkin, who even shares a birthday with her main rival and several similarities. (My daughter is now a HS senior but still has bitter memories of that person who's a superstar student and superstar swimmer and good at everything but found time to run down my daughter to her friends.) Crosby is even worse.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

I was rooting for the Flyers since I was hoping for Pitt to lose. If the Flyers were playing anyone else besides Pitt... Well, maybe a team from NY. The Islanders are bad now but I was a big Islander hater and if they ever got good again, I would probably hate them again. And I do not like the Rangers either.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

rachel:
Here's the local news video of last night's game. No interview of Neuvy, but you can watch highlights of him.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 25, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Tess: Thanks! Neuvy looked so calm on stopping the penalty shot. He looks real good. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75:
my least favorite teams - of all time
nyi - i'll be happy when their record is 0-82-0
pit - we've lost to many series to them
phi - seems like they're still trying beat up any team they play
almost everybody else in just about any order - then det

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 25, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Haha! Thanks for your thoughts, but, UNLIKE THE CAPITALS, Pittsburgh has beaten Philadelphia TWICE in the past two years. (Oh, for your fyi, Pittsburgh beat the Rangers in five games last year.)

So, Malkin leads the playoffs in points.
(Nine - so you don't have to go to nhl.com)

Malkin leads the playoffs in goals.
(Five - I'm doing all the work for y'all.)
Matt "Scrub" Bradley has as many goals as Ovechkin - man, that sucks!

While your "Hart Trophy" winner is one game away from elimination, Malkin and Crosby get about five or six days of rest.

For your sake, you better hope the NY Rangers don't score tomorrow - when they do, the Capitals are 0-3. Good luck trying to get to the second round - something Ovie has never done while Crosby and Malkin have now done it twice.

Southeast Division Winner = Last Place in the Atlantic Division

Posted by: malkinshockeyskates | April 25, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Southeast Division Winner = Last Place in the Atlantic Division

Posted by: malkinshockeyskates

Haha... what?

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 25, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

malkinshockeyskates-

Jab all you want. I, for one, feel no need to run down Malkin for his obvious skills, secure in the knowledge that his "sometimes" Russian buddy is every bit as talented (if not more). Remember, wings and centers have different roles on their team, and most believe Ovie is the better MVP candidate. That being said, Malkin brings a good game as well. BUT... where were the Pens at the trade deadline? Out of the playoff race! A new coach, getting Gonchar back, and getting some help through trades is what pushed them into the playoffs. Malkin and Sid did not carry the team the way Ovie does for the Caps. Honestly, don't you wish your boy Malkin would hit the way Ovie does? And don't you wish Crosby wouldn't embarrass himselfwith his chicken-sh** fighting?

Posted by: gonchpup | April 25, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

So, Malkin leads the playoffs in points.
(Nine - so you don't have to go to nhl.com)

Malkin leads the playoffs in goals.
(Five - I'm doing all the work for y'all.)
Matt "Scrub" Bradley has as many goals as Ovechkin - man, that sucks!

Southeast Division Winner = Last Place in the Atlantic Division

Posted by: malkinshockeyskates

Last place in the ATlantic division? Hmmm, seems the Caps whipped your crappy team this season, played even with the devils and flyers and did just fine against the rags. Don't let facts get in the way of your ignorance. You crappy team won't make it past the semi's. Boston will destroy you.

And as far as your facts go:

You only got one correct: Malking is TIED with 5 others, including Semin, with 4 goals. Not even mentioning that Malkin has one game up on Semin.

Matt Bradley used to a Penguin, dolt. But he's better off with a team that will win a Cup before Crysby and Malkin do.

And it's not over yet, as our Hart winner (soon to be TWO-time Hart winner) and the rest of the Caps will be fired up tomorrow.

Run along now, sh*ttsburgh scum

Posted by: Chase4 | April 25, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I do not think Sindy's chickenspit fighting is embarrassing. Who among us has not punched a guy in the nads while that guy is in a fight with someone else? 87's dominance of the "biggest whiner" category in an NHL player poll deserves respect. So what if Crysby's not even the best player on his team? He lives in his boss's house, his playoff beard makes him look like Prince, and Gary Bettman's got an ugly daughter to get off the books.
These are the things that make Sindy special, not his unique and compelling pugilism.

Posted by: redlineblue | April 25, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

TORTS SUSPENDED FOR GAME 6! Just announced on VS.

Posted by: WCAPS1 | April 25, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I heard it, too. haha. Here's the NHL.com article.

Posted by: SarahM28 | April 25, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow! so that only leaves Shoenfeld (sp?) behind the bench?

Posted by: Chase4 | April 25, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Come out hard on Sunday.
1st 10 minutes wins the game for us.
Just like Friday night.
Good luck boyz.

See u Tuesday nite.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 25, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 25, 2009 4:24 PM

R u for realz holmes?
Is ur keyboard like an AK47 or something?

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 25, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse