Backstrom Misses A.M. Practice

Nicklas Backstrom missed the Eastern Conference's practice this morning with what is being called a "skate issue". The rookie center is, however, expected to play in the YoungStars event tonight.

Interestingly, fellow Swede and Backstrom buddy, Atlanta defenseman Tobias Enstrom, also missed the 9:30 practice. Just as interesting, all the other Eastern Conference YoungStars and All-Stars made it to Philips Arena on time.

Backstrom, I'm told, showed up a little late for practice, but arrived in time to get on the ice. Still, he was sent back to the hotel to rest up for tonight's activities. I also hear that Backstrom told folks yesterday that he was planning to attend the Wyclef Jean concert with Enstrom last night.

I'll leave it at that.

There was some good news for Backstrom: his lost bag was recovered at the Atlanta airport. So at least he's wearing his own shoes.

Note: I also hear that Ilya Kovalchuk will replace Sidney Crosby in the East's starting lineup, though there has been no official word to my knowledge.

Update: Kris Beech isn't on his way to Hershey, after all. The Pens have claimed him, I'm told.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 26, 2008; 11:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'It's Good to be Ovie'
Next: 'Breakaway Challenge' Rewind

Comments

Way to go, Nicklas!

Show your personality!

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | January 26, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Will Ovie be in fastest skater?

Posted by: Papa Schultz | January 26, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I hope if someone asked Nick about missing the start of practice that he's been here long enough to do an AI impression. It would be hilarious.

Posted by: tallbear | January 26, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Have you seen Malkin and Ovechkin together or they are not talking?

Posted by: Moore | January 26, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Concert? Wyclef? This is not good.....We need Ovie and Backstrom back at Kettler, in the gym.....working on one-timers..now...

Posted by: SA-Town | January 26, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

im confused, did he skate/practice or not

Posted by: Anonymous | January 26, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"Backstrom, I'm told, showed up a little late for practice, but arrived in time to get on the ice."
thats whats confusing me, did they tell him not to bother once he got there cause he was late, do people actually get mad about something like that?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 26, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I read that as he showed up a little late, but still in enough time to participate. However, even though he did show up, he didn't actually practice.

So, he was there; he just didn't practice.

Posted by: aybee | January 26, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Just watching the NHL Network it seems like the practice atmosphere was crazy. Live music as the players skated along with a good number of fans. Looks like ATL is doing a great job of making this a whole weekend event and getting a lot of kids involved. We need hockey to thrive in the "non tradational" markets and it all starts with the kids.

Posted by: Mike | January 26, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

NHL.com has video of the best ten hits of the week -- 3 of them are from Ovie. Hit on Malkin is #1. In looking at it again, Malkin's lucky he didn't get his head taken off, but Ovie's also lucky he didn't go head first into the boards. Could have been much uglier for both of them.

Posted by: Hook | January 26, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

i wonder....

Is Sydney there? Is the press upset because he's not playing? Is that the reason NBC isn't carrying the game? Oh woe is me....

Posted by: Lee | January 26, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I should have been more clear. After showing up, Backstrom was set back to the hotel to "rest up" for tonight's game.

Posted by: Tarik | January 26, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Eh the all-star game is a joke and the young stars game is even more of a joke if Backstrom wants to have some fun all the more power to him. After all he deserves it. As for Kovalchuk going to the first line...it's disappointing, but he's lead the league in goals and was second in points for the bulk of the season so i guess he does deserve it.

Posted by: DC FURY | January 26, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Translation:

Backstrom and Enstrom were hammered and showed up hungover to practice and were sent to the hotel to "rest up".

Posted by: CCCP | January 26, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, can you tell Backstrom to shoot more to keep the other teams guessing? He is progressing very nicely, but needs to make more shots to be a double threat on the top line.

Posted by: David B | January 26, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I kinda hope he wasn't hammered since, ya know, he's not old enough to drink over here....

Posted by: EricS | January 26, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@ David B

Think about what you just asked Tarik to do...He's a reporter not a coach! If Tarik started doing that kind of stuff, how long before his access to the players gets restricted?

Posted by: kenwood | January 26, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I had to call Ovechkin because Tarik is too busy. :-) He is in the fastest skater competition along with Jason Spezza and Martin St. Louis.
He is between Richards and Kovalchuk in a locker room.

Details to follow...

BTW, NHL is pondering an idea of half slap shot competition next year. I'd better be ready.

Posted by: Papa Schultz | January 26, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

CCCP beat me to it. I think it's obvious that he was hung over...do y'all need Tarik to draw you a picture?

Posted by: Jill | January 26, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Man, that Wycleaf Jean will keep the boys up all night long.

Did anyone see Usher this morning "semi-taunting" the players on the NHL Network. I wish Ovie would have shown up when Usher said "I can't do what you do and you can't do what I do". At that point, Ovie should have grabbed the mic and dropped a mad, Russian accented, freestyle on Usher.

Posted by: Mitch | January 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

What the crap is a Wycleaf Jean?

Posted by: Whiter Mage | January 26, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if Backstrom went out with his friends and had some fun! He's young, he's been working his bottom off in a new country, learning a new lang. etc. good for him that he took a night off and had some fun with a friend from home! More power too him, I for one would rather him have this type of fun during this weekend rather than next!

As for OV, how can you not love the guy, even if he wasn't as talented on the ice as he is you'd still have to love him for his personality alone. I still really don't get why the NHL doesn't market him more because he really is hilarious! He works so hard and has fun doing it! He really is a great role model for kids!

Posted by: Puddin_an_Semin | January 26, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Niklaus was where last night???

Posted by: Backstrom's Mom | January 26, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm not hungover, but I sure am dizzy after reading the rules for the Skills Competition's Obstacle Course Relay.

Posted by: Joe B | January 26, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Whiter Mage -

Sorry, i can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Wyclef Jean is a performer, formerly of the Fugees, who went on to have a successful solo career.

I'm not a total nerd, but i couldn't let that go unanswered, just in case.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | January 26, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@Mitch
I saw it, have no idea why he said that.

@Puddin_an_Semin
Well AO is kind of the star of the All Stars right now. Two interviews, many footages - he's the one that got most of the attention. No significan mention of Crosby yet.

I'm at work but keeping an eye on what's going on in ATL.

Posted by: mauree | January 26, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I was being serious. I tend to not track the names of everyone as far as music is concerned, but I do know of the Fugees. You'd think I'd care more, being a music major.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | January 26, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Let me preface this by saying I have no problem with Backstrom missing a worthless "practice" for a 3-on-3 exhibition so that he could spend time with a friend from Sweden. It's important for him to feel at home here in the US.

I would like to say that I hope Backstrom, Ovechkin and all the young Caps have learned from the mistakes of others (Heatley's Ferrari crash comes to mind).

I want to see them win, but more importantly I want to see them happy and healthy for many years to come. Fortunately, it seems like we have a responsible group here.. I hope they all enjoy their time off and come back ready to roll on Tuesday.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | January 26, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Huh, interesting.

I'd have actually figured that the Fugees would be the obscure reference compared to Wyclef, but, hey, whatever.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | January 26, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watching the train wreck called the Washington Redskins? Kind of makes you appreciate GMGM and Ted, ya know.

Posted by: Dave in Alexandria | January 26, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

@Dave in Alexandria,

I was thinking the EXACT same thing

Posted by: Lee | January 26, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Appreciate Ted & GM ???
It's too bad everyone is now happy and think everything is going to be ok.
I can't help but recall Cassidy, Hanlon and all the terrible mistakes, including round 3 of Beech.
The Caps will never get to a respectable level with George McPhee.

Posted by: Chief | January 26, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

The Young Stars 3-on-3 exhibition is only two six-minute periods with running time (i.e, the clock does not stop for any reason).

Hardly worth making the trip.

Posted by: Joe B | January 26, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh goodie! Chief is back spewing.

Posted by: Lee | January 26, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, they've made mistakes along the way... but they weren't based on hubris and ego. And I don't think they've ever been the laffing stock of the league... pitied and scorned on occasion, but not like Danny and his crew.

Posted by: Dave in Alexandria | January 26, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

oh yea... I left out disingenuous and vertically challenged...

Posted by: Dave in Alexandria | January 26, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

SUCH a good point about ownership... I really like our ownership and am OK with management (GMGM), but when you compare them to the Redskins it just makes me really happy I like hockey better than football.

Even if Caps ownership/management are FRUGAL(low payroll, although driven by low attendance), they're also (2) CARING(always looking out for his players including doing the kind of stuff to make Ovie want to stay here for 13 years... that's at least a good part due to our ownership and GMGM)and (3) COMMITTED TO WINNING.

Snyder has those last two attributes and is willing to spend whatever it takes (all good things), but he is also MEDDLING an EGOTISTICAL. How many spelling mistakes have I made? Anyway, Snyder sucks... it's really sad watching what's happening. I am never buying a single Redskins thing again until he leaves.

Posted by: TripDonkeys | January 26, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@whiter mage

Wow..music major and you don't really follow names? Are you just into classical or just listen to stuff you like without paying attention to the names?

I was a music ed major myself, but I'm obsessive about finding things out about musicians, recordings, gear and such.

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | January 26, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Ooops! Now what is GMGM gonna do? I wonder what the Pens will do with Beech. Hope that doesn't hurt the Bears too much (or us in the long run). I'm still wondering why he hasn't tried to get some trades in here.

Posted by: K | January 26, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Niklas with a score!!!!!

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 26, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom showing no ill effects from the seven Jack and Cokes last night. Atta boy.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 26, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

What a joke the freaking sprint event was. Best part so far has been the youngstars game.

Posted by: Jordan | January 26, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

They could still pick up the Bizarro Kris Beech, Krys Barch.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | January 26, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

hehe did you guys see AO win the breakaway challenge? Crowd loves him :D

Posted by: mauree | January 26, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it. This is from TSN about Beech:
"Beech was claimed by Vancouver on Jan. 10, only to be waived again Tuesday. He was claimed again by Washington, but did not play any games with the Capitals, who were attempting to send him to their Hershey farm club. "

So, only OV and Getzlaf got the memo on how to do the Break-Away challenge? Other than those two and Ilya on his knees it was boring. I still think OV should have been in the Fastest Skater event.

Posted by: erika | January 26, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

OV's juggling attempts were awesome. I love the fact that he looks like he is having the most fun out there.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 26, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

@erika

If I recall correctly, last year OV finished dead last (among the participants) in the fastest skater event. It was theorized that he looks a lot faster because he does everything at a high speed (stickhandle, making cuts when he skates etc) whereas the true fastest skaters just skate fast. Ovechkin's slower finish surprised everybody, especially the announcers.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 26, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I bet OV can go over 100 mph on the slapshot - but only during the game where he put the extra passion.

Did you guys see that little kid doing the move that St. Louis and Getzlaf tried but failed? The pick-up turn around thingie? Can we sign him? lol

Posted by: mauree | January 26, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I just read your article about Ovechkin and Backstrom. I want you to know its perfect! I loved it, fantastic quotes! Hopefully people in Washington will read it and realize how awesome OV really is and come out and start supporting the Caps. Keep up the good work! You might give Dan Steinberg a run for his money!

Posted by: Puddin_an_Semin | January 26, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, awesome article on Ovechkin and Backstrom! I think it's the equivalent of about a 4G 2A performance. And you already have the Caps' writers' Hart trophey in the bag.

"the powerful Russian and the patient Swede"
"rambunctious extrovert"

well done, sir.

Posted by: Vlad | January 26, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear Rick D drop a f-bomb after the shoot out stop he made? It sounded like his mike feed was still live (but somebody was talking over his feed) around a minute after the stop and he was saying words along the lines of having "f---ed up his hip again". I don't think I was hearing things, but could be wrong.

Posted by: Steve R | January 26, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Steve R,

You weren't hearing things. I heard it too. He was asking one of the other goalies to go in to finish up the shootout because of that.

Posted by: Jordana | January 27, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Kris Beech is a PANZY/WASTE OF TALENT!!! so happy that the Pens picked him up! Frankie Kuchera gave us the most upside out of that trade with Ja-girl!!!

GO CAPS GO!!!

PLAYOFF PUSH STARTS NOW BOYS GO GET EM

Posted by: ZackAttack | January 27, 2008 2:11 AM | Report abuse

I care a lot about classical music, and I like more modern stuff and contemporary, I've just always cared more about the group instead of the people in it. Dunno why.
I could list off a hundred classical groups, but not be able to name the individuals involved. By comparison, I could list a ton of composers (My guinea pig is named "Gustav" after Gustav Mahler, for instance).
Good to hear Ovie got some love tonight and a win in something. I didn't get to watch (No Versus out here/was drinking with friends watching Monty Python).

Posted by: Whiter Mage | January 27, 2008 3:04 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit the Beech story is one of the more amusing stories I've read. This is officially the definition of a tweener - a player who is not good enough to pull onto your roster, but plenty good enough to claim on waivers and attempt to send to your AHL affiliate. Claimed be Vancouver and sent down quickly, then claimed by us and sent down (which resulted in being put right back onto waivers for an extremely short period) and then claimed by the Pens to fill a roster spot created by injuries.

What makes this funnier is that I'm guessing when the Pens get healthy, Beech gets waived to the farm team baby pens and we can pick him up again (or am I off the mark here?).

Posted by: Raber | January 27, 2008 4:17 AM | Report abuse

Beech claimed by Pens - same comment in today's Patriot News at the end of the Bears defeat B-Sens article. If you didn't listen to the game, Boudreaeu was there to drop the puck, Cassivi got pulled in the first after letting in three goals in 12 minutes; and the Bears rallied in the third to pull a win out of their butts 5-3. McChesney finished the game with 100% shots blocked for Hershey.

Probably the biggest come from behind win for the Bears in several years. It looks like Beech will have to find residency once again. Perhaps the Pens will waive him before the season ends, and he helps Hershey going into the postseason.

Posted by: dogdaze | January 27, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

@dogdaze:
Don't know if you stayed for the jersey auction after the game. Quintin Laing showed up and got a big ovation from the crowd that was there. In fact, he and his wife and kid were at the game in the Bears suite with Coach Boudreau and his son. They even had a Bears/Caps jersey with Laing's name on it that was included in the auction. Cool!

Posted by: Tess | January 27, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Tarik:
LOVED the Ovie & Nick story. Excellent work. Thanks for all you do.

Posted by: Tess | January 27, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Everyone else said it, I may as well say it too. The OV, Backstrom article was fantastic. Thanks for all the hard work Tarik.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 27, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Heard the DePietro comment , AO get no love from the announcers, anyone catch the
"""the bouncing puck move ala Crosby"""
couldn't just let it go could they.

Posted by: billd | January 27, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

@Tess;

No, we didn't get to Hershey last night. But listening to Walton, the interview he had with BB and the postgame with Woods was great. Seeing Fehr and Sloan, Arsene back in the lineup again is like a breath of fresh air. I wish Nycholat was back with the Bears rather than B-Sens, but that's the luck of the cards dealt.

We attended many games over the last 2 years including the playoff games in Hamilton. Laing, I am sure was given an old fashioned "heros welcome", and I am sure Hershey appreciated his hard work ethic there as much as now on the Caps roster. Caps fans should make the "pilgrimage" to Hershey a few times a year to get a flavor for the quality of the two organizations joined at the hip.

In addition, the quality of the fan base there is huge, and Giant Center is a terrific arena. Yeah, I agree this stuff gives us all goosebumps, and is "way cool".

Posted by: dogdaze | January 27, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I went to my first Bears game back in November just before the coaching change and had a great time. Not a bad seat in the arena, and the atmosphere was fantastic.

Posted by: Sombreo Guy | January 27, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I am glad OV and Backstrom are enjoying the weekend. I don't know that Backstrom was hungover the other morning. Maybe he just stayed out too late. Sounds like the shoes he had to borrow didn't fit and caused a blister on his heel. But whatever...either way is OK with me. Although there is the underage drinking thing (if that was a factor at all, which I don't know for sure).

Speaking of pure, unadulterated joy, did you all see Semin's smile after he scored the goal against Toronto? Priceless! Flat on his back but he looked like the happiest person on Earth. I really like Semin but fear that he isn't enjoying his success as much as he might. I guess he will always be seen next to his talented, extroverted buddy AO, but Semin will someday lead the league in goals and I think he can still get 40 this year. Along with a lot of stupid penalties, sure, but this guy is a scoring talent at the same level as AO, Crosby, Malkin, and whoever else you got.

Oneal--enjoyed your comments about 30 posts ago.

LET'S GO CAPS!

Paul R

Posted by: Paul R | January 27, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

If Semin is to reach 40 goals this year, he would have to score 28 over the final 32 games of the season. Quite a tall order.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 27, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

It is sort of amussing to me that Beech was picked up off waivers by the Pens, because I thought there was some "bad blood" between him and the Pens from the way they handled him a few years back? Just wondering if anyone knows anything about that? I also remember him saying how he thought the Pens had the ugliest jersey in the league when the Caps posed that question to the team a few years ago. Thats kinda funny, since he'll be wearing it now, lol.

Posted by: Matt | January 27, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

It is amusing how some people lose their senses and let their fanaticism control their thinking. Take for instance, the constant heartful of thanks to Tarik for doing his job - good or bad. The idolization of good hockey players such as AO and Backstrom, even when they do stupid things, to the other extreme of hating players just because they are not good enough to crack the line-up - Kris Beech - or because they did not work well with the Caps - Jagr - is ridiculously childish and insane. Oh, well.

Did anyone like the 3 on 3 hockey(?) displayed by the rookies? I though that was as exciting as seeing a tree grow. What a farce, did people pay to see that?

Posted by: Opita | January 27, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Semin has 10 goals in his past 14 games. Over 32 games this pace would lead to 22 more goals for a total of 34, still short of 40. So, Alex would need to not only maintain his current streak, but pick it up a notch. Unlikely, probably, but not entirely beyond the realm of possibility. Considering his current linemates I think he will be taking a LOT of shots (meaning he isn't going to pass to Gordon or Flash if he has any chance himself).

I am going to look pretty stupid in a couple of months if/when he ends up with 20 goals for the year. Could be I look pretty stupid right now!

PaulR

Posted by: PaulR | January 27, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@Opita

Re: Jagr

I don't think you're hearing disdain towards Jagr over the fact he didn't gel with the team...it's because he didn't try to gel.

Posted by: keef | January 27, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@Opita

Re: Jagr

By: Keef

I have to agree with Keef here. The dislike for Jagr isn't due to the fact that he left the Caps (that was a blessing), it's due to the fact that he was concerned for himself only, and didn't make an effort to be a team guy. I also believe the Caps fans dislike Jagr due to the fact that he was doing so well for NYR and we were still paying (and still are paying) a portion of his salary. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Matt | January 27, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@billd

RE:

"""the bouncing puck move ala Crosby"""
couldn't just let it go could they

I heard it and it made me sick. Sid did it to split the "D", and OV did it to be entertaining, which is exactly what that new skill was all about. Overall, I didn't realy care for the "Youngstars" game, nor did I care for the breakaway thing. OV won, but I don't think he even managed to score a goal. It was neat to see the creativity of the skill though.

Like I said before, the All-Star game will be even more about Sid now that he's injured, then it would have been had he been there and been healthy. The NHL and Versus will say this game is "lackluster" without Bettman's boy involved.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 27, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

last post was by me, sorry

Posted by: Matt | January 27, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Steve R

I heard it too..that's exactly what he said. The f-bomb.

Posted by: fishman | January 27, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Update from Atlanta: Skill competition was a lot of fun. The crowd LOVED Ovie and he loved the crowd. Backis seemed to enjoy the young stars thing--but it was confusing. Legace in goal for the West was hysterical.
Tons of Caps fan here--actually sitting with a few at the Phillips, which is a nice place!
All the mascots were here and Slapshot dissed us!

Posted by: 3vafans | January 27, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

tarik, or anybody...where do i find the article on OV and backstrom that everyone is talking about?

Posted by: steve u | January 27, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tess | January 27, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

steve u:

go to caps insider on the posts site and click on it

Posted by: PJ | January 27, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

thanks guys, great read!

Posted by: steve u | January 27, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@Keef and Matt

I hear you guys about Jagr, and you guys might be right that he didn't try, but it could also be just a perception, don't you think? I can't remember did he play in the same line with Nylander when they both were in Washington? They both seem to have done rather well playing as linemates in NY. If they played together in Washington, then one must ask why they didnt jel as well as they did in NY. If they didn't play together in Washington, then one must wonder if there was problems with the coaches, and not them? Just questions that we probably will never know the real answers, but just to make my point that the problem could - and I emphasize the word "could" - have been with someone else and not the players.

As for still paying his salary, well, we really can't blame the guy, can we? That is all Caps management from Ted down the line.

Posted by: Opita | January 27, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Opita:
The best part about fanaticism is you can hate someone regardless of rhyme or reason. He was a Penguin. Do I need another reason? No. It's fanaticism. There've been massive stories, from Nikolishin among others, regarding how Jagr wanted the team to go a different direction, even though it's direction at the time was obviously good enough to get to the finals. Like it or not, 90% of sports fans try to find someone to blame all of their problems on, even when the blame deserves to be spread.
Most Caps fans like to blame and hate Jaromir Jagr, myself among them, because he's an easy scapegoat, and he seemingly deserves it.
It's the same as us saying that Olie is struggling, so the team sucks, or "That ref made a call for intentional offsides that wasn't an intentional offsides, and on the ensuing face off there was a goal scored. That ref sucks."
Every fan's guilty of it. Don't let many Caps fans see you defending Jagr, though, or you might get some attacks.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | January 27, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

@white mage
I agree with you about fanaticism, but to me, it is just a ridiculous and insane syndrome - an illusionary fantasy, that brings enjoyment to some people. I am not defending Jagr, I was just making an observation on the negative comments that people make against athletes without justification. Of course, I realize that it is part of the enjoyment the fan gets.

Posted by: opita | January 27, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

there is the professional world of warcraft power leveling here. welcome.

Posted by: jimelyyes | May 10, 2008 6:17 AM | Report abuse

there is the professional world of warcraft power leveling here. welcome.

Posted by: jimelyyes | May 11, 2008 4:02 AM | Report abuse