Backstrom named to Team Sweden

Nicklas Backstrom, as expected, has been tapped to represent Sweden in the Olympics. Check out Sweden's full roster here.

So far, four Caps have been picked for their respective teams. Backstrom joins Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Semyon Varlamov, who were named to Russia's squad on Friday.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 27, 2009; 10:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 4, Devils 1
Next: Laich: 'I have to be better'

Comments

Way to go, Nicky!

Posted by: crooks_c | December 27, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Nicky! :-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 27, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else hoping that Mike Green *doesn't* make Team Canada, so they aren't conflicted about cheering against the Canadians?

Posted by: irockthered | December 27, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

That's pretty cool - I am sure there will be more Caps to go! Any guesses on which NHL team will have the most players in the Olympics?

irockthered:
What do you think about the Nylander move?

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 27, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Flash and Juice will most likely be joining them!

Posted by: digster1013 | December 27, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Flash and Juice will most likely be joining them!

Posted by: digster1013 | December 27, 2009 12:23 PM |

Green and Osala have a pretty good chance as well.

@irtr- No, go Green! He deserves it..

Posted by: richmondphil | December 27, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Come on Canada...don't snub Greenie again!

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | December 27, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Come on Canada...don't snub Greenie again!

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | December 27, 2009 12:57 PM |

Again? He was just coming out of juniors last Olympics. Unless you mean the WCs? But he played for Canada last year in those.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 27, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking the odds of Flash and Juice playing for their countries are pretty good. I don't know that we've got anyone that's likely to make the USA roster.

Green is really, really up in the air, but he sure made a case for himself over the last couple of games, yes?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 27, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Green not making the roster would be a joke to me. Are they really not going to choose the highest pt. scoring d-man in the NHL because of a perceived lack of defense? He's a rushing d-man, everyone knows what you get with him. Amazing first passes, amazing speed and breakouts.

Still rootin for Osala to make Finland.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 27, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm a traitor - as I'd rather watch Sweden or Russia win than US or Canada.

It's all messed up.

Posted by: CF11555 | December 27, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Mike Knuble has a chance to make the USA team.

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 27, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I hope Green gets tapped by Team Canada. I'm getting tired of the snubs (I still think he should have gotten last year's Norris) and I think Green's +16 +/- rating shows he has improved his defensive game this year. He's currently tied for 2nd place in +/- among all NHL defensemen. He leads the league among defensemen in points and is a dynamic player that can change the course of a game. In Turin, when Team Canada went into it's scoring funk, they sure could have used him.
But regardless of whether Greenie goes to the show or not, I'm rooting for Russia and Sweden. In that order. And GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Hordedog | December 27, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

I feel the same way about Green making Team Canada as you do. I'm not too fond of Canada's cast of characters overall. I feel similarly as I would if my kid were trying to make the football team when the football team is a bunch of jerks so to speak.

We almost wish the Russian team could borrow MG and temporarily rename him Mikhail Davidovich Zelenkov.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 27, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse