Backstrom on tripping penalty

Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom was called for a tripping penalty in the closing seconds of overtime, and that led to Ottawa's power play goal with 19 seconds to play in the Senators' 5-4 victory at Verizon Center.

The Capitals lost their third straight game and second in a row in regulation, and although tonight's game yielded a better effort from the Eastern Conference champions than Sunday's clunker against Calgary, there's the feeling this rut may be coming at exactly the wrong time.

Washington has six games left before the start of the playoffs, and four are against Atlanta and Boston, both teams the Capitals could face in the first round.

Backstrom spent about 20 minutes in a players only area of the locker room riding an exercise bicycle before coming out to address the media. Here's what he had to say:

By Gene Wang  |  March 30, 2010; 10:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In-game chat: Caps vs. Senators
Next: Steckel talks about another poor start

Comments

the PK gave up 3 and killed off only one... it's hardly that penalty that cost them the game

Posted by: joek443 | March 30, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

It's hard not to be in a panic now with the playoffs approaching. I think, though, there are a couple of major issues that will be fixed soon. 1) It is clear that Ovi has been told to dial back the physical part of his game until the playoffs start. This is making him much less effective and is affecting the play of the entire team. 2) This team needs Brooks Laich.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | March 30, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Did something happen to Carlson?

I didn't notice anything but a poster in the previous thread something about hoping that he's OK.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 30, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

BB said upper body "bang"--could be back Thursday.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 30, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Second para: If we lost in OT, it was not a regulation loss, right?

Posted by: Steakum | March 30, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I will second that: Brooks is somewhat of a driving force behind the team. I always thought he should have been made captain. I'm happy with Ovie, but I don't think Washington is the same without him in the line-up. When they showed the scratches tonight before the game, I couldn't help but chuckle at how extensive, and talented, that list was. With everyone fixed and rested I hope everything snaps back in place.

Posted by: Rainier1 | March 30, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

That penalty on Backstrom in OT should never have been called. It was ridiculous! And I agree w/joek443, even though that determined the end of the game, much more should have been done to prevent those earlier PK goals.

I was sitting behin the bench and didn't see Carlson get hurt, but did notice Belanger come off the ice clearly in pain two different times but couldn't determine exactly what the issue was.

Posted by: capswench | March 31, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse