Backstrom To Skip YoungStars

I have just received word that Nicklas Backstrom will skip the NHL's YoungStars Game in Montreal on Saturday.

The second year center, who participated in the game last year, is not injured, according to the Caps. He simply wants to rest up and prepare for the second half of the season.

More in a few.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 21, 2009; 12:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List
Next: Backstrom Statement About Missing YoungStars

Comments

Good for him.

He should have been on the main squad (Thanks, Montreal fans).

Posted by: Hatfield223 | January 21, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Excellent. If you go along with a farce, you perpetrate its existence.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 21, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@Hatfield223: Concur. It was an insult for Backstrom to be in the Youngstars game. He's a youngster hopefully his folks are coming out for a visit or something.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 21, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I do believe sand and sun on are the agenda all around.

Posted by: RichC3 | January 21, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

He told me one week ago that he was flying to Sweden to visit his Dad. I am surprised it took that long to come out...

Posted by: atybat | January 21, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Good for him.

Posted by: ratgurl46 | January 21, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Good for Backs, and say goodbye to "fan voting"

Posted by: gtydings | January 21, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

From the previous thread - I obviously have no clue what's wrong with Nylander, but whatever it is, it isn't working. He does hold the puck, which is good, but more often than not he turns it over before it gets to the stick of another Caps player. I don't know if he's worried about re-injuring the shoulder, but as soon an enemy player puts pressure on Nylander - the puck gets coughed.

Semin's penalty - it was equally as stupid as Jurcina losing the puck in his skates. He's still a great player, but he'll be better when the lazy stick fouls cease.

Theo - I'm almost a fully recovered Theo detractor. Now I only have to go twice a month for maintenance meetings.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 21, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Agree with everyone here and think it's a great move. He's an All-Star in our book. Take the well earned break Backs.

Posted by: dsphvywght | January 21, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I really wish Ovechkin would follow suit.

Posted by: CapsFanSince1979 | January 22, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse