Backstrom To Throw Out First Pitch

On Sunday before the Nationals host the Orioles at RFK Stadium. I'm sure Nicklas, the Caps' fourth overall pick in 2006, has seen a baseball. I'm just not sure he's ever thrown one. So, if it bounces, cut him some slack.

Backstrom is due to arrive in Washington on Saturday and will be introduced to reporters at a press conference on Monday.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 18, 2007; 4:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blown Opportunity
Next: Watch Your Step

Comments

Ovie threw from the rubber and got it over the plate to the Catcher in the ai.? So did most of the boys when they all threw a first pitch last season. Why no Backstrom?

Posted by: A Hardwick, Sec 417 Row 8 Seat 9 RFK | May 18, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I can just see the headline:
Backstrom Hurts Shoulder on First Pitch
Will Sit Out Six Months

Posted by: Boor4 | May 18, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it? Why even set up this appearance? Almost no one in the stands will have any idea who this kid Backstrom is. And those who do know are die hard fans already. Would be better for Backstrom to play hockey, make an impact, and then throw out a pitch, and be an effective "advertisement."

Posted by: Dezlboy | May 18, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I like it.

There may not be a massive number of Caps fans, but those of us that do exist are pretty rabid.

We'll know who he is, and the rest of the crowd will probably give Backstrom a nice ovation.

I think a lot of times we forget how young these athletes are when they come over, and hopefully this will be something that will show the kid he's welcome in his new home-town.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | May 18, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Dezlboy, that's the point. They want to introduce him to the Nationals/Orioles fans. The Caps and Nats are doing alot of cross promotion since their seasons don't overlap very much.

I'll have my camera with me.

Posted by: EricS | May 19, 2007 1:45 AM | Report abuse

I hear he threw a strike. Anyone have youtube?

Posted by: Graham | May 21, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse