Bears 3, Moose 0

Just watched the Bears beat the Moose, 3-0, at Giant Center to take a two-games-to-one series lead in the Calder Cup final, and all I can say is I'm glad I made the drive up. Good hockey, good atmosphere, and more important, I got a good look at some of the prospects who could challenge for a spot on a Caps' roster that might see some turnover this summer.

Before I make the trek back down Rt. 15, I wanted to leave you with a few notes/observations/impressions:

• The story of the game was the play of Bears goalie Michal Neuvirth, who made 28 saves to earn his fourth shutout of the playoffs. I know these were AHL shots, not NHL shots, that Neuvirth faced tonight, but he made a number of unreal/unbelievable/highlight-reel-quality stops to chants of "Neuvy!, Neuvy!" from the capacity crowd.

• "He was good, especially on the PK, where he made some cross the [crease] saves," Hershey Coach Bob Woods said, referring to a 50-second 5 on 3 that Hershey killed off early in the second period. "He's dialed in and playing with a lot of confidence."

The Caps' dueling goaltending prospects -- Simeon Varlamov and Neuvirth -- have such contrasting styles. Varlamov, as we all witnessed in the playoffs, is flashy because of his athleticism. Neuvirth, on the other hand, is steady, calm and smooth. If he was out of position once tonight, I didn't notice it.

• Alex Giroux has got one heck of a shot, and he showed it off in the second period when he rifled a power-play one-timer (from Keith Aucoin) off of goalie Cory Schneider and into the net to put the Bears ahead, 2-0.

Giroux now has 74 goals in the regular season and playoffs combined, which is an AHL record. He's a pending unrestricted free agent, but with those numbers, seems to me he's going to earn a one-way contract from someone next season.

• Karl Alzner shook off some early rust and had a pretty solid game in his return from the first documented concussion of his career. He had missed four weeks.

"I don't have a headache right now, so I think it's alright," he said. "I guess I'll find out tonight, when I'm lying in bed and the Tylenol wears off."

• I liked the line of Jay Beagle-Mathieu Perreault-Chris Bourque. The trio did everything but score.

• Also was impressed by defenseman John Carlson. Not only is he stronger and smarter with the puck than most 19-year-olds, he plays with swagger and confidence.

• Remember when it was announced that Quintin Laing's season was over because of a torn spleen? Well, he sure didn't look like a player who suffered a serious injury back in March, not after watching him throw his body around (and in front of shots) all night. He also got an empty net goal in the final minute.

• GM George McPhee, Coach Bruce Boudreau, assistant GM Brian MacLellan and pro scouts Larry Carriere and Jason Fitzsimmons were all in the house tonight.

• Staffan Kronwall had assists on both power play goals.

• Game 4 is tomorrow night and Game 5 is here on Tuesday.

That's it for tonight. I won't be back tomorrow but I'm planning to be in Pittsburgh for Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final on Tuesday.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 6, 2009; 10:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Another Coaching Staff Change For Caps
Next: Morning Reading List: A Future in Hershey

Comments

Thanks for the great info as always, Tarik.

Posted by: wocoliz | June 6, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, good write-up. It seems like 4-5-6 of these Bears could be playing with the Caps in a few years.

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 6, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Sounds more and more that Kronwall will be potentially rewarded with a contract after July.

my previous post from the last thread

my prediction for the video coach replacement:

Posted by: caps28fan | June 6, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I just had a dream the Penguins were spanked 5-0. I had a dream the Penguins melted down in the second and third periods. I know this couldn't be real because Giada was cooking for me and Beyonce was waiting in bed for me. So, what happened in SCF Game 5?

Posted by: Matt23185 | June 6, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Caps28fan, sounds like we could do a lot worse. Hope you're right!

Posted by: wocoliz | June 6, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

@Matt23185

You weren't dreaming. And Pittsburgh had 4, count then 4 game misconduct penalties.

Malkin had 3 minor penalties called. Geno gets penalized an awful lot.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 6, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Bravo! Bravo! Pavel Valerievich. Welcome back. Your absence was keenly felt.

Pasha! Pasha! And to think the Wings were tied 2-2 in games without him.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 6, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

One of the other blogs has an interview with Varlamov. Must admit -- I'm partial to #40. (He's 3 years minus 1 week older than my younger child.)

It brings back memories. Back in the 70's, I once liked another athlete who wore #40. Okay, the guy wasn't Russian but was also a Slav (and I later learned that his last name has been known to occur in Russia).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 7, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Good call Caps28fan.
Bro's before Jo's

Posted by: cleanfront | June 7, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Why do I hear birds singing and feel almost giddy tonight? I forget. Oh yes, it is because the so called hot, young team was shut out by the "tired," "old" Wings. And that a certain team (to remain unnamed) took 12 penalties, and a whiny captain had one shot and no goals or assists were just icing on the cake.

Posted by: caraveli | June 7, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I also made the drive from DC for this game and am headed back for tomorrow's game as well.

Great game, great crowd, seats were cheap and excellent. Definitely worth the drive.

Neuvirth and Kronwall both had standout games.

Spotted Stretch Leonhardt in my section, but didn't see anyone else familiar.

Posted by: threesilhouettes | June 7, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

I too just got back from the Giant Center & I'm wondering, Was it loud enough for you, Bob Arniel?

Posted by: uncatim | June 7, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

This might sound silly, but is Giroux worth signing? I mean 74 goals... wow! Still, not many people have mentioned him as a Cap next season.

Posted by: larryn703 | June 7, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Goes to show you. The Pens' maturity leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 7, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

This was my first Hershey game. It was a blast and definitely worth the drive. Neuvy was amazing. Fun times...

Posted by: ejohnsto | June 7, 2009 2:23 AM | Report abuse

Just now getting back. Definitely fun times in Hershey tonight! Agree with everything Tarik said. A few things to add though. Pinner & Arsene were pesting the heck out of the Moose. And Arsene's little "begone" hand wave to the Moose player at the end of the game made me chuckle. For all the time it seemed like the Moose spent in our zone, the score could have been much different. Great job not only by the PK & Neuvirth, but the rest of the team.
A couple of Aucoin's old Norwich teammates were sitting in front of me. And if anyone that was tailgating has pictures of the cookies I brought, could you send them my way? Forgot to take some beforehand.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 5:10 AM | Report abuse

I want Crosby to be forced into a 3 hour interview about his slash on the ankle last night...

Dirty Bum's...all of them..

Posted by: SA-Town | June 7, 2009 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the great coverage, Tarik -- Bears games are terrific, and I'm so glad Neuvy bounced back so well after that last minute goal in game 2.

No doubt the players knew that GMGM and BB were in the stands. They may realize that they won't need to do much with free agents with this much talent on their top farm team. Glad Kronwall stepped up, and Carlson showed what he can do. We may have 3 good D's who can step up to the show next season.

Just wondering -- how did Osala do?

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | June 7, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

I LOVE NEUVY!!!!!!!!! ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | June 7, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | June 7, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Rachel:
I'm not trying to be a smart-a** or anything, but you posted the short blog entry. Here's the full newspaper article:

Posted by: tess2201 | June 7, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

There's a Bears game tonight, and I am PUMPED! Hopefully we'll win all three at home, because I have a feeling Mikey's getting at least one shutout on the moose this weekend.

Posted by: 4RBears | June 6, 2009 12:43 PM

Just pointing this out, but great call 4RBears!!! I was at the game last night, and although it looked like Bears would get the win regardless in they last couple of minutes, I was desperately hoping no one in the building was mentioning the word "shut-out" :)

Go Bears!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | June 7, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

May the Bears continue to show the big boys on the parent club how to win championships. Go Bears!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 7, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

@Exile_in_Philly, His line had a few great shifts as far as pressure and chances go, but they were pretty quiet for the most part.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Seeing the Red Wings hang 5 on the Penguins, amazing!

The Bears winning Game 3, terrific!

Watching Sid finally get called for a penalty on one of his famous slash greetings, priceless!

Hope the officials show integrity on Tuesday night as well. Anyone know who is working that game yet?

Posted by: Kim-3 | June 7, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

And Malkin got 3 minor penalties in yesterday's game.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 7, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I was also at this awesome game, Neuvy was great and will definately be in competition at development camp! The place was rocking and well worth the drive for DC! I have been to a few Bears games this year and I have become quite a fan of these guys! Also...the icing on the cake was the Wing's great win!

Posted by: NatyBG | June 7, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I love big goal scorers, but I do not understand the situation with Alex Giroux? He is already 28 years old, drafted in 1999 but has only a career 22 NHL games with only 6 total points scored (3 goals and 3 assists). Yet, he has 74 combined goals this year for the Bears and has been a consistent goal scorer since 2005, averaging around 40 goals per season! What is up with his story? Strange! You would have thought the Caps would give him more of a chance during the regular season call ups. Anyway, his contract is up and he will most likely end up with another team that has more cap space, unless he really likes the Caps and take less money just to be part of something special. I hope it is the latter.

Posted by: JohnWWW | June 7, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Last night was the fourth Bears playoff game we've gone up to Hershey for over the past several years, and each time it's been a blast.

The action last night was non-stop, as the ref (Koharski...related??) really let both teams play. The Moose are bigger than the Bears, but the Bears have better team speed and stood right up to them. I thought all six Bears D-men played very well, as did Neuvy.

What can Bears fans learn from Caps fans? The Hershey folks don't get the "Unleash the Fury" video - we need to give them some lessons.

What can Caps fans learn from the Bears fans? The reaction to a bad penalty call - the Bears fans have the "B-------" chant down perfectly!!

Posted by: waynekubicki | June 7, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Giant Center was rocking last night! Great showing by everyone - fantastic to see so many Caps fans supporting the Bears.

Ray Bourque was also in the house last night, along with his son Ryan. I had a good time watching Brady Boudreau attack GMGM's son with a towel during most of the game (when he wasn't running around with the in house entertainment dude). That kid is hysterical.

I think one of my fav moments was in, I think the second, when the puck got knocked high up in the air, and no one knew where it was. It landed behind Coiner to the right of the goal, but no one saw it. My entire section, along with Neuvy, started pointing frantically at the puck, and it took a good 5 seconds before the guys realized where it was. I thought Neuvy was going to run after it himself. Super funny.

I so don't want to jinx anything, but let's just say I plan on calling out sick on Wednesday if things go according to plan.

Posted by: RtR52 | June 7, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

At least I am comforted to know that the Caps are not the only team to have total breakdowns. Of course the Pens had a pretty long streak of consistently strong playing, but there was a total meltdown last night.

It is interesting, but understanbable, that Crosby had his best game against Ovechkin. That dual hat trick was amazing. It is so clear how worthy rivals push each other toward greatness. But I couldn't be happier on behanf of Ovie. Since the Caps have eliminated hasn't Crosby only had one goal and a couple of assists?

Giroux is kind of a funny case. I don't think his AHL success translated in the least into NHL scoring. Aucoin is a different story. He was awesome and I can see how he might develop further. I wonder is he is coming here from Hershey. Do we have to wait until the training camp to know who will be on the team? I can't wait that long. Tell me that there are some earlier deadlines for trades.

Posted by: caraveli | June 7, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The second coming of Jesus is upon us. I mean DA RAYZOR!

I am now officially partially a philly fan!

Posted by: richmondphil | June 7, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnWWW | June 7, 2009 11:55 AM |

What?

He makes the minimum now. And believe me, Giroux's agents phone isn't going off the hook with teams just dying to re-sign him.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 7, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

4RBears: Great job on your call that Neuvy would get a shutout!!! Let's hope he gets two more shutouts. ;) GO BEARS!

Posted by: rachel216 | June 7, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

4RBears: On sportsjuice.com, why do they cut off the Bears postgame? Do you know where I can listen to the postgame show in its entirety after the game? Thanks. ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | June 7, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Awesome job, Hershey! Seems to me that Giroux has earned a chance to play on the Caps. If they can play Flash, they can play Giroux. 74 goals in one year? I'd call that worthy of a contract. Cheap, and fulfills a need.

Can some one exlain to me why Pierre McGuire can lean around the corner of his ever diminishing cubby between the enches and directly talk to players on the bench, during the f-ing game? Last night he leaned around to ask Guerin if he was alright, and Guerin seemed surprised that he was doing it. I sure was. How unprofessional can one guy get?

Posted by: oo7 | June 7, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

oh happy hockey day!! thought i was hallucinating when i saw the final pens/wings score, and then the hershey score!! guess they all ate their wheaties, especially those goalies.

LETS GO BEARS! ENCORE TONIGHT!!

and thanks Tarik for the write up, very excited about the talent in hershey, and very excited for what this means for the caps next year. lots to look forward to!

Posted by: mrszilla | June 7, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Nice, too, that the Carolina Stingrays won the Kelly Cup in the ECHL last night, too.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 7, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I gotta say, we hed to Hershey half a dozen times a year, butthe playoffs are special. Beautiful day, great game, nice drive. All that and when I called for tickets they looked up my season ticket account and did not charge me the service charge. Lots of Caps fans at the game last night. If you did not go you really missed it. Wish I could go tonight, probably should have, but work is early tomorrow.

Posted by: majiksea | June 7, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watching game 4?

Posted by: gavlegirl | June 7, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Too cheap--listening on sportsjuice instead.

Posted by: wocoliz | June 7, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Moose up 1-0. Come on, Bears--let's get the goal back quick!

Posted by: wocoliz | June 7, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Score still 1-0 Manitoba at the end of the first period. GO BEARS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | June 7, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I believe the game is being broadcast on XM radio tonight, if you have that.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 7, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Wilson!!! GO BEARS!!!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSSS! Way to go, Wilson!

Posted by: wocoliz | June 7, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

The Bears are tied with the Moose 1-1 with about 15 minutes to go. The Bears are going on the PP with our old friend Nolan Baumgarner headed to the Penalty Box for the Moose.

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 7, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

MReilly9, thanks for the update--my audio keeps cutting out on me, particularly at exciting moments (which is not making me happy, needless to say). GO BEARS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | June 7, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I got that, though--Aucoin with the goal to take the 2-1 lead!

Posted by: wocoliz | June 7, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Bears!!!!! Keep the pressure on them!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

let's go Bears!

Posted by: Andoy | June 7, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

About 5 minutes to go now with the score still 2-1 Bears! Go Bears!

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 7, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Moose seem to be carrying the play now...

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 7, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

where can we check out video highlights of the games?

Posted by: Andoy | June 7, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Both teams now taking penalties; it will be 4 on 4 with about 2 minutes left in regulation.

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 7, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Andoy, theahl.com will have highlights up maybe later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

C'mon Bears!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Almost like a mini OT. But at least the Bears lead.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 7, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

YEAH!!!! Just one more boys!!!!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Bears! Let's get the Cup at GC on Tuesday!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | June 7, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

The Cardiac Bears do it again!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 7, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Well Rachel, I guess if you want to ever meet Neuwirth, you should do it now before he's on the Caps for good. (LOL)

I know you have such a crush on him.

For Neuwirth, and Varlamov, for that matter too. They're probably too young for my first born daughter but too old for my last born. (Granted, my girls currently have boyfriends so they're out of that market, for the moment.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 7, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm tempted to make a road trip. ...hmm...

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | June 7, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

(For Game 5, in case that wasn't clear. ;) But I really shouldn't do it.)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | June 7, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Do it Greg! Its completely worth it, but make a decision soon! Tickets are almost gone already.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Let me rephrase that. There are no tickets left, at least on Ticketmaster. Cheapest tickets on eBay are at least 40 bucks a piece. None on Stubhub.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

Are you going to see the Bears? Or had you tried (and failed) to get tickets?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 7, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
As you now know the Bears are now up 3-1. And how about a shout out for the Sting Rays who won their third Kelly Cup.
How good is this pipeline of quality players?

Posted by: navboss | June 7, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75, I was there last night. I looked because I thought about going Tuesday, but I have to work and I'm running out of "please trade me shifts" tokens with my coworkers. If I could still get face value tickets, I might have at least tried, but I'm not now. Just hoping I can get home in time to hear the game.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking about driving up Tuesday night. I wonder if more tickets will become available on Stubhub -- and how much they will cost.

Or, does anyone know if it's possible to buy them outside Giant Center?

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | June 7, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

@waynekubicki - Yes, Terry Koharski is Don's brother. And he's just as blind as the other one. :-p Missed at least half a dozen hold/hook/trip calls and a couple of boarding calls on both sides... I was less than impressed with his officiating.

But I was VERY impressed with the Bears!

ONE. MORE! GAME!!!

Posted by: irockthered | June 7, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Kovalchuk to WASH
May 27th, 2009
A source today has told me that the Caps losing Kozlov and Fedorov opens up a “serious” possibility. I asked who the Caps were interested in and he threw some pretty big names out there, one of whom would be via trade, one is a pending UFA that is still playing.

The player via trade was Ilya Kovalchuk.
_____________________________________

Please let this rumor be one of the 0.0003% rumors that turn out correct.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 7, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Good freakin' lord. Tuesday is Judgement Day for the Bears. (With the following day being my last final before summer - hopefully I can reschedule that :D)
Mikey is doing insanely awesome. Good write-up on him today in the Patriot concerning last night's game.
I just cannot express how happy and excited I am in words, just that I'm about ready to freak out.
The last five minutes of tonight's game though, were possibly the longest five minutes of hockey I've ever watched. Yet Mikey and everyone else pulled through.
On a random note, the person who sits next to me and I noticed that prospects Braden Holtby and Francois Bouchard were doing the pierogie (sp?) shuffle tonight. Somehow, Bouchard won. :)

Posted by: 4RBears | June 7, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | June 7, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Rachel, I'm so sorry but I only know of sportsjuice.com as a site to pick up the games on, and I hate it when they cut the postgame short. From my visits down in DC, it's awful trying to get the Bears' station 100.1 clearly, but on Tuesday, if you can do it, 100.1 is the only other way.

Posted by: 4RBears | June 7, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

while Ilya Kovalchuk falling into the lap of Washington would be fabulous and all that, he's unfortunately a left wings, which means he's not filling one of the holes in the organization. Maybe he'd be willing to switch to the right? It wouldn't surprise me, though, if he was trying to get himself sent here.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 7, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 7, 2009 9:53 PM |

He doesn't even have too. Move Semin to Ovie's right wing and let Kovalchuk run the second line.

personally, i would like to see that money get spent elsewhere, but Kovalchuk is Kovalchuk.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 7, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie:

I think Semin and Fleischmann would both have to be in that rumor-deal, which would solve your prospective problem. If I was Atlanta I'd also want Alzner and/or Carlson, at least another prospect and maybe one of the young goalies.

And the Caps would still have to dump salary.

That's probably too rich for me; especially because I think what the Caps really need is a guy like Franzen or Holmstrom.

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | June 7, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

TheRealOneal: Tickets were available outside the Giant Center Saturday night.

Posted by: uncatim | June 7, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks uncatim.. that's very interesting. Might be worth a trip.

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | June 7, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

To anybody who might want to go to Hershey Tuesday:
I'm pretty sure tix are still available at the box office. (At least, as of 8:00 tonight they still were) If its absolutely necessary, call it. =)
But I'm betting that by noon tomorrow it'll be standing room only. We Hershey people love our Bears. ;)

Posted by: 4RBears | June 7, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

The box office is closed now -- I'll try first thing Monday morning as soon as they open. Really, really hoping to get tix.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 7, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

@uncatim: I would dearly love to hear Arniel's comments on the building after game 3. And I must applaud the Bears' video people -- throwing Arniel's comments up in a video pre-game to piss the crowd off worked like a charm. That was easily the loudest I've ever heard that building.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 7, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Re: misconducts - There were four 10-minute misconducts issued in the Pens-Red Wings game last night. No game misconducts. They appeared to be game misconducts because they were issued in the last several minutes of the game, but if some miracle had taken place and the Pens had managed five goals in five minutes to tie the thing up, all four of the issued misconducts would have returned to the game after the end of their 10 minutes in the locker room.

Where *technically" it was impossible for this to happen... weirder things have taken place. I didn't see what happened to cause the misconduct penalties, and they don't seem to be associated with other penalties directly (a-la- the penalties to Malkin the other night), so I don't know for sure that they were issued correctly that way, but it's possible...

Even if the ref *was* Paul Devorski... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | June 7, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz: Yeah -- not a bright move by arniel, brilliant move by the Bears video crew.

John Walton on the noise level Saturday:

Posted by: uncatim | June 7, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious as to what prompted the officiating team to actually call the game like they were supposed to, and not like they've been calling games all playoffs that have involved the Penguins. I'm going with the "Detroit Mafia Threatened to Cut Off Their Manhood" theory.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 7, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie : Oh, but how you jest. An officiating crew who's "Manhood" hadn't already been cut off -- that is funny!

Posted by: uncatim | June 7, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 7, 2009 11:14 PM

You have to call the blatent stuff. Penguins get frustrated and stupid when they are down, that much is evident.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 7, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, that link is weird. Says they're there, but then shows Game 3. Probably will work later.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Okay, that link works, but change the "All Teams" at the top to Hershey and its the first one.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 7, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I guess we can assume Pittsburgh wins Tues.? I believe McCreary will be back on the ice so Detroit will see all the calls.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | June 8, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

lol! I love Neuvy's jump at the end of the game when the clock hit zero! That was so cute! =) GO BEARS!

Posted by: rachel216 | June 8, 2009 6:26 AM | Report abuse