Moose Deny Bears a Championship at Home

The Manitoba Moose scored 67 seconds apart late in the second period and held on to win, 3-2, denying the Hershey Bears a Calder Cup-clinching victory tonight at Giant Center.

The Bears still have two chances to get their 10th American Hockey League title, but it'll have to be on the road as the series shifts back to Winnipeg for Games 6 and 7.

After registering just eight shots on net through 37 minutes of play, Manitoba got goals from Michael Grabner and Cody Hodgson to seize a 2-0 lead heading into the third period.

Graham Mink and John Carlson scored for Hershey, but the Moose were desperate, pulling out a victory before a capacity crowd to trim the Bears' series lead to 3-2.

Really, Ref?

Manitoba's Shaun Heshka hooked Steve Pinizzotto toward the end of the first period, but the Bears center was whistled for diving and Hershey missed out on a valuable power-play opportunity. Just a bizarre call, and probably not the last we'll hear about it.

Quote of the Night

[On the Bears Radio Network]

"I was thinking, 'When's the last time the Bears won [the Calder Cup] on home ice? It wasn't this year, it wasn't this year -- Holy crap! It was against me.'"

-- Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau, who was with the New Brunswick Hawks in 1980 when they lost, 7-4, in Game 6 at Hersheypark Arena.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 9, 2009; 9:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kozlov and the KHL (Again)
Next: Agent: Caps Pursuing Deals With Fedorov, Johnson

Comments

Bears outplayed moose and the dive call was horrible.............. go bears

Posted by: wendel2 | June 9, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I will never understand it -- if heshka hooked enough to get called (especially in a championship game), how can it be a Pinizzotto dive? Nevertheless, the Bears needed to score when they were greatly out shooting the slobbering moose.

Posted by: uncatim | June 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry guys. Every time I listen/watch games, I am apparently a horrible jinx to whom ever I'm rooting for. I missed the NHL and AHL games this weekend and all the teams I wanted to win, won. As for tonight NHL team- literally the second I flip to the game, just to see the score and then flip away, the Pens score their first goal. Ugh! Then the Bears totally outplay the Moose (I desperately want to put an "s" on their name) but still lose. Arg!

So two thoughts:
A) Bears totally outplayed them, a positive place to be going into Game 7 (basically where we were playing the Rags)
B) I swear I will not watch/listen/check scores for any Game 7s.

Posted by: mrszilla | June 9, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

One day, years from now, the truth will come out about the NHL.

The main characters in the movie:

Gary Buttman, commissioner. "The NHL does not favor the Penguins. I also paid every penny that I owed on my taxes."
Bill Clinton, former US President "I did not have sex with Cindy's mother."
George W. Bush: "What?"
Dick Cheney: "I wasn't shooting at the Red Wings, and if I did shoot - it wasn't under orders from Commissioner Buttman."
Joe Biden: "There are FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCES between the way Governor Palin would call the game and the way I would call the game."
John Kerry: "I was against the Penguins before I was for the Penguins before I had some french fries with Heinz ketchup and had to support my wife and be for Pittsburgh."
Al Gore: "Just because you're watching a hockey game doesn't mean there isn't global warming."

Act I - Bill Clinton has sex.
Act II - Cindy is born with "Damian" sounds in the background.
Act III - Buttman becomes Count of Nova Scotia and assures Cindy's rise to knighthood.
Act IV - Alexander of Russia makes claim and disrupts Cindy's coronation.
Act V - Al Gore says it really isn't that cold, it's just a figment of your imagination.
Act VI - Dick Cheney shoots Joe Biden.
Act VII - King Henrik divorces his sixth wife and tries to marry Brunhilda of Zetterburg.
(Note: Zetterberg is played by Kirk Douglas, while Bill Guerin is played by Ernest Borgnine.)
Closing Scene: Red Wings win, but Buttman declares "unfair" and orders Cindy's coronation. All citizens are ordered to watch under penalty of death.
George Bush: "What?"

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 9, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1

HAHAHAHA

thank you. much needed lift.

is it just me, or has this playoff season been weirder than past years?

Posted by: mrszilla | June 9, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1: "Cindy is born with "Damian" sounds in the background."

HEHEHEHEHEH!!! Good one! Now if we could only make his head spin in circles!

Posted by: dezlboy1 | June 9, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Sucks! Just flipped real quick to the "game" with the Redwings and looks like the other team was up 3 to 2, with only seconds left in the 3rd period. Boo. There must have been greater magic at work to repel all the hexes placed on all our voodoo dolls of the demon spawn with the effeminate name.

Get 'er done, Redwings! Next game would be nice!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 9, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

Funny post! I take it you must be a Republican if you feel that Crosby is the evil spawn of Bill Clinton. (Okay, I'm a Democrat but the post is still funny!)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 9, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

I feel that way, at times. (I was feeling that way in March and early April when I saw all kinds of Caps losses at the Verizon Center.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 9, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

4RBears, Sorry, just now catching up on the days happenings. I usually look up as soon as I get there since I tend to miss who's on deck for the night while driving up there. Although, aren't they usually sitting up on the mezzanine above that box?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 9, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

Were you the one that posted in the last thread about Ericsson getting tripped or something by a Pen and a penalty not getting called. It seems that Ericsson is the Red Wings' version of Alex Semin. Nobody calls penalties on the guys who do stuff to him yet he gets penalized.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 9, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

with all the bizzare weather in DC the day did not start well and ended zero for two. I guess if you are detroit you would like to have your fans see you win the cup

Posted by: samb99 | June 9, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75: I registered Independent in 1976.

In the recent election, I voted for myself for President.

To misquote Will Rogers: I never met a politician I couldn't dislike.

When my wife tells me I have a drinking problem, I tell her: "I've never had a problem yet getting a drink."

I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I prefer beer, wine, tequila, vodka, rum or gin.

I am...the most misguided man in the world.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 9, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Woot!

The refs tried to hand the game to the Wings on a silver platter with all of those bocus penalty calls... oh, well... no matter. One more win for the Pens and it's Crosby on a Wheaties box.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | June 9, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

No, sorry to tell you, but the Wheaties company, according to policy on their homepage, only accepts men, women, boys and girls for spokespersons.

Crosby, with his questionable chromosones, as exhibited by his pansy beard growth, fails to qualify for the front cover of any cereal not called "Special K."

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 9, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Hi all! Reporting in from Hershey. Still bummed over the loss, but we've got two more chances to take the Cup, so all is well. Have faith that the boys can get it done.

Bears totally outshot the Moose through most of the game but Schneider was really on his game tonight and his defense played well in front of him.

Ref only called four minors the whole game..the tripping/diving thing and then a minor on each team late in the third. There was a ton of things he could have called on either team but he pretty much just let the boys duke it out. Game got very chippy in the final minutes, so expect some of the bad tempers to carry over to Friday.

Neuvy was exceptional as always. First goal he would probably want back. Second goal he was pretty much screened by a Bear and a Moose. Third goal was a empty-netter.

Rumor is that game 6 on Friday will be televised by the local ABC station. It would be nice if ComcastDC would pick up the feed for those of you in the Washington area.

@tominfl: Loved your movie script!

Posted by: tess2201 | June 10, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

The first period call was pretty bad but so was the 3rd period makeup call. There basically weren't calling anything until the slash they couldn't let go but only because it broke the guy's stick so that's an automatic penalty. But as soon as that one ended they gave the moose a really weak call for hitting from behind. I say it was weak because they let far more go all game but wanted to give the Bears a break because of the slash. Don't agree with makeup calls if it's something you absolutely need to call. Like if you shoot the puck over the glass in your own end. That's an automatic penalty and doesn't require a makeup call. Same with if you break a guys stick with a slash. There's no choice for the refs. Moose are still playing brutal. Ever since they won 10 in a row early in the playoffs they've looked too overconfident and aren't making smart plays. Too many long passes and no one wants to shoot. They keep taking the puck wide and sending a guy to the net but if he's well covered instead of taking a hard low shot to get a rebound they are trying to pass across. Horrible play to make and it's not working so they keep just giving the puck up and not getting shots when they have possession. Unless they remember how to play the Bears will take it in 6. Crazy that Hodgeson looked like their best player tonight when he just got to the team a couple weeks ago so he could get some practice games in before Canucks training camp next year. He's the only one making smart plays on that team.

Posted by: Stu_c | June 10, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

LOL, Bruce is awesome.

Posted by: madflava | June 10, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game and the officiating won this game for the Moose...just disgraceful!

Posted by: NatyBG | June 10, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@stu_c

agreed on Hodgson, he looked like the best prospect on the ice other than the goalies. My scouting report, for what very little it's worth:

Neuwirth - To say he was out of position on the 3rd goal doesn't do it justice: he was ON THE BENCH, WATCHING THE GAME, DRINKING GATORADE!! What's up with that? Couldn't he wait just another minute? Geez. He had a few good "smell-the-glove" moments, he looks like Chris Osgood out there to me: super quick, focused.

Osala - great size, skates well, not reading play well, weak shot last night. More time in minors, top 2 line I hope. Has def potential, like Fehr but latter has better wrist shot.

Bourque - big on ice presence, quick and quick witted, but not effective with the puck last night, imho.

Carlson - Looks like a great pick, some real flashes, needs at least a little more time down there, though.

Giroux - marked well by Manitoba so hard to tell. If Caps can't put him on top three lines next year, don't sign him: he can skate and handle the puck, he's not a fourth line player.

Aucoin - read my review on Giroux sideways.

Kronwall - serviceable, aggressive. Not a huge upgrade (if at all) on Sha-mo or Schultz but less cap hit. I'd hang onto Sha-mo. If he was playing in Hershey, he'd look like an all-star.

Posted by: WritingLight | June 10, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Rhetorical question about the AHL and NHL finals. What would you rather have when needing only one more win to clinch:
1. One game at home
or
2. Two games in the other team's house.

I guess the answer is "it depends".

Posted by: rjma1 | June 11, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Caps fans...How do you like the taste of those APPLES????

Pens are champions AGAIN. Thats 3 and each time we dust off the Caps en route to holding the Stanley Cup.

Keep harrassing Pens fans every time we invade your building. Our ammunition keeps growing. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! We will send pictures of the parade and ring ceremony.

Posted by: laker2313 | June 13, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Hey Left Coast Caps fan...Like a fly to shnitt...Im back...Problem is my shnitt is the Stanley Cup. Eat me!

Game 7...Pens 6, Choke-itals 2. Enjoy.

Posted by: laker2313 | June 13, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse