Behind the Column: Caps Fall in Game 7

Go behind the column at Game 7 with Mike Wise.

Highlight: Barry Melrose (in a what-would-you-even-call-that-shade-of-blue suit) talking about the time he put Coach Bruce Boudreau's head into the glass back in the day. ("He deserved it.")

Highlight No. 2: Boudreau's son, Brady, wandering around in the background and wife, Crystal, talking on her cell phone loudly enough to distract our camera guy away from Boudreau and Wise's conversation.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 14, 2009; 2:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Sports Bog: Fan Questions About Game 7
Next: Sloan, Beagle Back To Hershey

Comments

I really wish the sens had Ovechkin. The cast of clowns we have is a complete joke. No wonder the sens can't win a cup either, well at least not since the 1920's. Ever since the NHL moved to the USA, the sens just can't compete. That's why they folded and went away for 50+ years. What do you expect from a second rate team in a third rate city located in a country that has always just been riding America's coat tails? Canada, the USA's annoying little cousin that cand stand up for himself.

Posted by: StanleyCupl907 | May 14, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907,

What in the hell?!

Posted by: MarylanDChris | May 14, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah we need more guys like Poti and Green to stand in front of the net... he does know there defense right?

Posted by: cappies | May 14, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

i'm tired of mike wise and his smart-a** video posts. leave it to the guys that know hockey.

Posted by: JLpin2win | May 14, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Trading Alex Semin for a guy who stands in front of the net... Mike Wise please turn in your "Hockey Insider" crenditials and leave it to Tarik!

Posted by: Semin2828 | May 14, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Well atleast he admitted he knows nothing about hockey, because boy does it show.

Posted by: digster1013 | May 14, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

If you have ever heard Wise on the radio you would realize that he is a jerk. He knows nothing about hockey and is a bandwagon columnist who was forced to jump on board like some of the rest.

Posted by: MKadyman | May 14, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

one small consolation to the Caps not being in the playoffs anymore...

no more idiotic videos from Wise.

Posted by: jason595 | May 14, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I was so disturbed and angry over the Wise column this morning which cited that "Crosby was better" that I quickly sent off a form message to him expressing just this. You can read the original short form I filled out, his callous and smart-#&! response, and my more detailed e-mail in response to that. I hope that you all let him know that he was blatantly wrong and that he owes everyone, especially Ovie, an apology. His e-mail address is: wisem@washpost.com

Original Message:
Stop Serving your ego Mike. That article was complete trash. Crosby and Ovechkin played equally great games. The Penguins were a better team - that is all. You will never live down this article in Washington. And this feeble attempt at drawing attention to yourself through controversy should work...I expect you will never get a player interview again.

Mike's Response:

Stuart, some warped, angry reader sent me an email using your account. Just thought you should know,
Mike

My Final Response:

Michael,

Very funny. And it is clear from your response that by now you are seeing the brunt of your poor decision. I see your being lambasted on many of the Post forums (which was probably your desire anyway in some sort of neo-sportif Rush Limbaugh tactic of stirring the pot) for the absolutely tasteless article on Crosby being "better." I expect this will not let up. You have truly alienated yourself in the Caps community.

Angry? Yes.

Warped? I assure you that sanity runs in my family.

I, the fans, and the Capital organization have every right to be angry with you in a way that is perfectly rationale. Your article was a complete insult to a man who has given of himself in this series to no end. Furthermore, it is completely baseless. Sid's stats and Ovie's stats were virtually identical over 7 games. I fear to think what Ovie could have done with a supporting staff as experienced as Crosby had. Sure, you can argue that Crosby "won." But that is not true: The Penguins won.

You owe an apology to your readers, to the fans, and most of all to Alex Ovechkin. Stick to your human interest stories, as they are actually quite good, and please leave the analyst work to people who understand the nuances of the great sport of Hockey.

And please respond to negative comments in a way that is not flip and sarcastic. As a journalist I would hope you are capable of that.

Stuart

Posted by: eyechip | May 14, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

The Post made a mistake assigning Mike Wise (formerly of the New York Times) to cover the Capitals and NHL hockey. He's not capable of understanding the nuances of the sport, including its physicality, rules and much less its players and their roles. He has already admitted that he knows nothing about hockey. His articles, a side from the human interest stories, are an embarrasment and an insult to the Capitals, their fans and the hockey community. He's a basketball and football enthusiast and he should stick to writing about those sports. I hope the Post rectifies this error.

Posted by: Irreverent_inDC | May 15, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

When did acting like a frustrated shock-jock constantly making pleas for attention become acceptable behavior for a supposed "journalist" at a newspaper?

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but that's all it seems like Mr. Wise has been doing for the last month or so.

Posted by: Goat_74 | May 15, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Great job, Mike. Keep it up. Don't listen to those yahoo losers like Goat_74, Irreverent_inDC, MKadyman, Semin2828 and that joker JLpin2win. You're smart, you like animals, you bake and people like you, gosh darn it.

Mike