Best Capitals of the 2000s

Everyone seems to enjoy this best-of-the-2000s stuff, so here's our Caps-centric version: Who's the best Caps player of the decade? Okay, and how about the best Capital of the decade not named Alex Ovechkin? Have at it.

Note: There are only 11 players on the list, so if anyone's been egregiously omitted, feel free to sound off in the comments.

Your choices (in no particular order):

Robert Lang; Adam Oates; Alex Ovechkin

Jeff Halpern; Olie Kolzig; Steve Konowalchuk

Mike Green; Sergei Gonchar; Peter Bondra

Alexander Semin; Brendan Witt

Related: Top local athletes; top local stories; biggest busts; *cough* Jagr *cough* ... Michael Wilbon's top international athletes; plus way, way more. Any other Caps-related lists you'd like to see? Email me.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 24, 2009; 3:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonsis: Michael 'owned a generation of sports fans'
Next: Varlamov joins Ovechkin, Semin on Russian squad

Comments

These kind of things are impossible for everyone to agree on so overall I think this is a job well done. I just don't understand how Backstrom is left off. I would take him over 7 or 8 of these guys for the list.

Posted by: ph0082 | December 24, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, 2000s doesn't do much for guys like Kono, Bondra, etc...

now 1997-1998 season, well then maybe they'll give Backsie/Ovie a run for their money.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Why the heck is Brendan Witt on this list!?

I lol'd

Posted by: PonMan | December 24, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Nicklas backstrom definitely deserves to be on this list

Posted by: RussianMachineNeverBreaks | December 24, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The omission of Backstrom is puzzling, 200 games and almost 200 points. He'd be a 200/200 guy if Hanlon didn't play on the 4th and at wing for 2 months.

Witt, I guess deserves to be on the list because he was drafted by us and come up through the system, and although he was never considered a great defensemen, he was pretty good with limited skills and is still playing today (a traffic cone at times).

Posted by: JSchon | December 24, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

why the hell not?

did the Caps have anyone better than Gonchar and Witt on defense during those years??

Posted by: joek443 | December 24, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I loved Witt when he was on our team. I also loved Simon.

But yeah...neither of them should ever be on a list like this.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Erskine has limited skills... although Witt never lived up to the hype of him and his dad, he was a good d-man and a captain.

Posted by: joek443 | December 24, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

it just shows that the Caps had lousy teams.

Posted by: joek443 | December 24, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

maybe Calle Jo but he was with the Caps till 2003...

Posted by: joek443 | December 24, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Calle Jo !

There's an omission I can crusade for.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Calle Jo !

There's an omission I can crusade for.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

For consideration:

Early Decade:

Calle Jo
Ulf Dahlen
Dainius Zubrus
Andrei Nikolishin

Proud they were Caps:

Donald Brashear
Sergei Fedorov

I liked his blue-collar effort:

Mike Grier

Who could forget:

Kip Miller
Nolan Yonkman
Ivan Majesky
Mathieu Biron
Max Oullet

Posted by: CF11555 | December 24, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Witt was good pre-lockout when he could clutch, grab, and hook his opponents.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Agree. Where is Backstrom on this list. No problem with Ovechkin at number one!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 24, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Agree that Backstrom could have been on the list.

Disagree that Witt isn't worthy.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | December 24, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Calle over Witt. Witt was terrible. Lang should be higher; no way he was less of a player than Halpy. Backs should also be on the list.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 24, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Halpern gets the nod though for being the first and only Washingtonian to play for them.

on a side note, I looked up in my Dad's office and saw a framed and signed Halpern poster.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

That reminds me..if you go to Kings Dominion and ride on that white water rafting ride...try to find my Caps hat I lost there like 10 years ago.

It had Langway's, Labre's, and Hunter's autograph all on it. All the retired numbers... :(

I miss that hat.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@Lindsey

Are you going to do a top 10 best moments in Caps history in the past decade?

Posted by: JSchon | December 24, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

On that proposed list;

-Zed-heads

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Some big problems with this list! First, the decade would be the 2000-2001 season until the current 2009-2010 season.

Disqualified for playing two seasons or less:
-Oates

4. Green
3. McPhee/Leonsis
2. Kolzig
1. Ovi

(dis?)honorable mention: Jaromir Jagr

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 24, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, the poll didn't let me vote.

My order. (Yes, it's based on the fact that many of the guys on this list were traded in 2003 so my list is biased towards the more recent guys).

1) Ovechkin
2) Kolzig
3) Semin
4) Backstrom (who should NOT have been left off that list as many posters noted)
5) Green
6) Bondra
7) Lang
8) Gonchar
9) Halpern
10) Witt
11) Konowalchuk
12) Oates

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 24, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@butcherbaker

I see you included the owner/GM and coach on the list. While they are certainly important to the fortunes of the Caps, I was only voting for players.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 24, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Butcherbaker, you are taking this far too seriously.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

If it's "best player" no matter how many games they played, Oates should be high up. His last full season with Caps, he tied for league lead in assists. He was Nick Backstrom before there was a Nick Backstrom.

Best Caps moment of the decade: When Jagr got traded to the Rangers. What a lowlife. I read an interview with him once when he was with the caps, and he said the problem with the team is the other players weren't getting him the puck enough so he could "do his magic."

His best "magic" was going into the casino with money and coming out with his pockets empty. Poof!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 24, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Oates will never be the complete player Backstrom is.

He's an assist-machine though. Isn't he in top 10 for all-time assists?

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Or I should say, Oates never was the complete player Backstrom is.

At least with us...we got him late in his illustrious career.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Halpern deserves more respect than 9th place. Great story; local kid played for his favorite team growing up. One of my favorite goal highlights is Halpys double fist pump goal celebration during playoff series vs the hated pens.

Posted by: Puckthepens | December 24, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

i'm already starting to get withdrawl symptoms thinking that there will be no new CI caps news until saturday

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 24, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

@Capt Kirk

Just make up a topic? We could do mid-season (not quite) grades for every player.

Posted by: JSchon | December 24, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

@Puckthepens

Part of the problem with choosing the top players of this decade is that so many good ones were dumped in the Fire Sale of 2003. (Gonchar, Witt, Bondra; etc.) So we only have a limited time frame for them. And then Ovi and the rest didn't really come along until 2005 or later. So it's a split decade. Kolzig was the most "constant" figure even if he didn't survive here until the end of the decade. We had Semin for a brief time in 2003 but he pretty much was not here to stay until 2006.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 24, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

How the heck is Robert Lang on this list? He and Jagr were the posterboys for how not to play team hockey. Or is the reason he's on here because he got us Mike Green and Tomas Fleischmann? If so, then I guess I move him up a couple of notches.

I'd also like to join the drumline of those wondering how Backstrom is not here. I like Mike Green but if I'm taking two guys off the Caps roster it's Ovechkin and Backstrom. He should be #3 right behind OV and Bonzai. Add Calle Johansson, remove Witt and Lang and you've got yourself a list.

Posted by: ouvan59 | December 24, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

In the Christmas vein, I noticed a new movie about "The Three Chipmunks" just came out. It dawned on me that someone should do a photoshop of the Chipmunks in Caps uniforms. Alvin should wear #8 in honor of ALexander oVechkIN; Simon should wear #28 in honor of Semin (for Semin is the Russian last name equivalent of Simon); Theodore should wear #91 in honor of Fedorov (for Fedorov is the last name equivalent of Theodore). So, voila, our very own Chipmunk line -- even though Fedorov is no longer with the Caps.

Maybe the Russians can do the Chipmunk Line again.

Even better, create a card where Ovi, Semin, and Feds are singing the Chipmunk Christmas song.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 24, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

I'm going have to ask you to lay off the cookies and eggnog for a couple of hours... Take a break...

Posted by: JSchon | December 24, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Don't worry. I'll take a break. Off to have dinner and then go to church. And off to see the mother-in-law (and other of my husband's relatives tomorrow).

I guess you're not a fan of the Chipmunks.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 24, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JSchon | December 24, 2009 6:06 PM

how about players weaknesses - NOT who should be traded for a bag of pucks - but what each player needs to improve to help the team.

ovi:
* a little less cherrypicking - be more aware of the need to play some d in the d zone
* recognize when he is 1 on 3 or 1 on 4 and maybe try a dump and chase every so often to give his linemates a chance to catch up with him - especially during line changes

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 24, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I kid or course... But the Chipmunks are at the very least, incredibly annoying.

Posted by: JSchon | December 24, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I grew up with all those players!(im 16) i love the list. but LANG should not be on the list. Witt definitly should, whoever said he shouldnt. is silly minded. I think Calle Johansson should be there over lang. I say Oates is 4th or 5th. Semin should be 6 or 7th cause of injury. Gonchar over green FOR now. and halpren above lang, but kono over halpren. Just so everyone knows. Konowalchuk, was ALMOST my uncle. my aunt said no on proposal, years ago, when he was captain) grrr. its ovie, bonzei, olie, oates, gonchar,semin or green, either one, kono,witt, halpren, lang.

Posted by: samrosen8 | December 24, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil -- How so? I just don't see how guys who only played a couple years this decade can count as "best of the decade." It's silly to divide it up by decade but if we're gonna do it, we should do it right :D.

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 24, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Witt was the worst defenseman on the team every year he was here. Just terrible. The worst. Overrated black hole of suckitude. JF Fortin deserves a spot on the list before Witt.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 24, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@thisguy,

Fortin? Nice obscure reference there. From the, ahem, "lost years".

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 24, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

these are tough to do, but having robert lang on this list is a joke. robert lang over backstrom?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | December 24, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ouvan59 | December 24, 2009 6:07 PM |

Jagr, for as much crap as he gets, was a pt/game player still. Of course, we expected much more from him, but it's not like he totally bombed here.

@butcherbaker

Haha, I'm just sayin. Lindsay made the list, so just go with it. :)

@everyone

See my comment above about Witt. He was decent pre-lockout when he could clutch and grab guys. He seems to be a pylon up at the Island though.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, it said team hockey..not hockey.

My bad...Jagr definetely fits that bill.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Also, don't know if this was discussed yet, but Della Rovere is on the Canada WJC roster. He is the farthest drafted player on the roster, not including undrafted, soon-to-be #1 overall Taylor Hall.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Tomas Fleischmann is tied for second on the team in goals (14) despite missing the first 11 games of the season while recovering from a blood clot in his leg. He's just five goals shy of the career high he established last season. The Czech Republic native has 7 goals and 11 points in his last 10 games and is second in the NHL with a 25.5 percent shooting efficiency. Four of Fleischmann's six career 2-goal games have come this season. With 23 points on the year, Fleischmann is well on his way to surpassing his career-best point total (37) from last season.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas Ovie!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Posted by: hockeyfan8 | December 24, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I guess we all have our definitions of "best" or "top players" - maybe some combination of skill, character, years with the team. Even though Jagr was not successful here (by his standards or our expectations), his elite skill level is undeniable so he should be on the list. Having Witt on the list is a joke - total d-bag IMO. I would certainly put Calle Jo, Zubie, and Fedorov ahead of him, Feds just for character and lifetime achievement (even though most of it was in Detroit).

Posted by: zmega | December 24, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

@butchbaker
you cant DQ calle jo for playing less than 2 seasons. check his games played in a caps uni and when he played his last game.

Posted by: pebowers | December 24, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Someone please start a poll for the 80s so I can nominate Robin Bawa

Posted by: alpca3877 | December 24, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Remove Witt and insert Backstrom. How could anyone omit Backstrom?

Posted by: croftonpost | December 24, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@pebowers -- Well he only played 11 games one of the 3 seasons, so that doesn't really count... Same deal with Kono. Both guys would be on my 90s list for sure though.

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 24, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

nobody ripped me for my critique of ovi (yet) - so i'll move onto backstrom

* i'd like to see him throw a few more hits/checks (not to try and be ovi) - but get a little more physical when the opportunity presents itself

* shoot more - which he is already doing and it's working

backs may prove to be the MVP of the caps in the next year or so

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 24, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Hello Everybody,

Through links to an Unofficial Caps message board, I have discovered that our boys from Russia have received a nice Christmas present. Okay, they don't celebrate Christmas when we do, due to the Orthodox Christian calendar being different than ours.

But Soviet Sports has announced that Ovi, Semin, and Varly have made the Russian Olympic team. And so have former Caps, Fedorov and Kozlov. Here's the whole team:

Official site RHF published a preliminary list of team Russia from 23 players to participate in the Vancouver Olympics, which is sponsored by coaches Vyacheslav Bykov and Igor Zakharkin.

Вратари Goalkeepers

Евгений Набоков (Сан-Хосе) Evgeni Nabokov (San Jose)

Илья Брызгалов (Финикс) Ilya Bryzgalov (Phoenix)

Семен Варламов (Вашингтон) Semen Varlamov (Washington)

Защитники Defenders

Андрей Марков (Монреаль) Andrei Markov (Montreal)

Илья Никулин (Ак Барс) Ilya Nikulin (Ak Bars)

Дмитрий Калинин (Салават Юлаев) Dmitri Kalinin (Salavat Yulayev)

Константин Корнеев (ЦСКА) Konstantin Korneev (CSKA Moscow)

Денис Гребешков (Эдмонтон) Denis Grebeshkov (Edmonton)

Федор Тютин (Колумбус) Fedor Tyutin (Columbus)

Сергей Гончар (Питтсбург) Sergei Gonchar (Pittsburgh)

Антон Волченков (Оттава) Anton Volchenkov (Ottawa)

Нападающие Forwards

Павел Дацюк (Детройт) Pavel Datsyuk (Detroit)

Евгений Малкин (Питтсбург) Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh)

Сергей Федоров (Металлург Мг) Sergei Fedorov (Metallurg Mg)

Илья Ковальчук (Атланта) Ilya Kovalchuk (Atlanta)

Максим Афиногенов (Атланта) Maxim Afinogenov (Atlanta)

Данис Зарипов (Ак Барс) Danis Zaripov (Ak Bars)

Александр Семин (Вашингтон) Alexander Semin (Washington)

Сергей Зиновьев (Салават Юлаев) Sergei Zinoviev (Salavat Yulayev)

Александр Радулов (Салават Юлаев) Alexander Radulov (Salavat Yulayev)

Виктор Козлов (Салават Юлаев) Viktor Kozlov (Salavat Yulayev)

Александр Овечкин (Вашингтон) Alexander Ovechkin (Washington)

Алексей Морозов (Ак Барс) Alexei Morozov (Ak Bars)
Источник: Официальный сайт ФХР

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 24, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Staying true to the poll, who was the best Cap not named Alex in the last 10 years.

Difficult to say. Truly I am drawn between Adam Oates and Olie Kolzig. Both were good, if unspectacular players, who put up good numbers and were the heart of this dc team even in the trying years.

Olie deserves to have his number up in the rafters, and Oates already does. They are still some of the best Cap's I've had the pleasure of watching.

Posted by: breaklance | December 24, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75 - Ya beat me to it. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 24, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, CapsFan75---great scoop!

Capt Kirk, I think Backstrom is doing great, but agree (along with you and BB that he should keep shooting.) Man, it's fun to watch that guy on a streak. Not sure I agree that he needs to get more physical, though.

I'd like to see John Erskine stay in position better.

Ovie was so hot coming out in the third period against Edmondton---I want him to have that fire in his belly as much as possible. Ignore the critics, Ovie, and play your game the way you know best.

Semin, love that guy. More sniper shooting from a little further back, please. Seems to me he is trying to get in too close. He's capable of wicked shots from sharp angles.

Green, I don't want to tell him to "stay at home" because that's not his style. Just a word to BB: keep pairing Green with a good stay at home guy like Schultz, who has been very good of late.

After the last game, it's hard for me to pinpoint weaknesses. It might just come down to the psychological stuff, because the Caps KNOW what to do and ARE capable of great things. Overall, keep striving for consistency.

And have a great holiday and day off. Relax, enjoy family and friends and know that the DC area supports you all the way!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 24, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

* shoot more - which he is already doing and it's working

backs may prove to be the MVP of the caps in the next year or so

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 24, 2009 10:02 PM |

Seriously, this kid is so good. I commented at the start of the season that Backstrom has a teeny ways to go until he is truly a dominant force out there like Crosby, Malkin, etc. Well...he must've read that and got mad, because the kid is on fire.

Backstrom seems to pick up his physical game in the playoffs. I remember when he had a string of 2-3 hits in a row, and even completely knocked a Rag off the puck..stole the puck...passed it, and the Caps scored.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Backstrom IS the best Swede in the league right now. Sorry Z...sorry Lidstrom.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

No Yashin? I mean..It was expected as it was reported he probably wouldn't make it, but damn.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Ovie does plenty of hitting so there's no need for Backs to start hitting people, that's not his game.

but he does have a bit of a mean streak in him, unlike Semin so I have no problem with his game.

Posted by: joek443 | December 24, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Now, we wait until we see if Green, Flash, and Osala make their respective squads.

Big congrats to Varlamov. He certainly worked his butt off to beat Khabi for that third spot. I have always been a huge fan of Bryzzy, and even called for the Caps to nab him off waivers back when. Glad to see him doing so well this year too!

Great scoop, girls! (Capsfan75 and IRTR)

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: breaklance | December 24, 2009 10:29 PM |

Oates was only with us for a couple years though. He may go up in Boston, but he won't here.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 24, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

By Scott Burnside

VideoHere's a look at the past decade's top players (in no particular order):

Nicklas Lidstrom
Six times in the past decade, Lidstrom was named the NHL's best defenseman and twice was runner-up for the Norris Trophy. He won a Conn Smythe Trophy in 2002 and helped the Detroit Red Wings win Cups in 2002 and 2008 as well as go to the Stanley Cup finals this past spring. A sure-fire Hall of Famer, Lidstrom will spark debate of whether he may well be the greatest defenseman of all time.

it's a good thing that Burnside is not Canadian because he may get kicked outta country for saying that anyone could be a better d-man than Bobby Orr.

Posted by: joek443 | December 24, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

ø I can't believe Doig isn't on the list. ø

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 24, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

One of the odd things in the translation of the Russian Olympians is that Grebeshkov was translated as "scallops". Well, I guess we now know what Denis Grebeshkov translates to: Denis Scallops.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 24, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

theo:
* be more consistant with his rebound control
* get back to back shutouts - just to shut up some of those that despise him

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 24, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

"Um...Lang was the only NHL-leading point scorer to be traded mid-season. He was doing something right.."

Yeah, he was leading us to the #1 overall draft pick. For that I give him thanks.

Posted by: ouvan59 | December 25, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Ulf Dahlen and Backis are glaring omissions in my eyes. To allow them on the list I would drop Grier and Witt. Grier mainly because his years were the ones I was totally away from all sports and Witt because frankly he does not deserve to be named in the same breath as others on this list.

Posted by: trunkenmath | December 25, 2009 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Where is Backstrom?! Kono better than Nickie? I don't think so. I'd put him above Halpern, too. Ovie, Greenie and Nickie are no-brainers, with Olie, Bondra and Gonch.

Posted by: farmgirl19C | December 25, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

This is one poll that's totally unnecessary. If you've got a guy on your team who's considered the best in the world, chances are pretty good that he's the best on your team....

Posted by: randysbailin | December 25, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

wow are you kidding me adam oats at 6th what a joke he was one of the best passers in the game u alex semin and mike ( i suck a d Green i should be playing o ) ahead of him what a joke

Posted by: tj012 | December 26, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse