Big Week Begins Tonight in Music City

Cristobal Huet will start in goal tonight and will face Dan Ellis in a critical game for both teams. The Caps open a season-long six-game road trip two points behind the Flyers for the eighth spot in the East. The Predators are four points out of the final spot in the West.

Ellis is an interesting story. He appeared in only one NHL game before this season -- back in 2003-04 -- but recently has been the No. 1 goalie in Nashville as Chris Mason has watched from the bench. Ellis has started seven of the past games, and over the last four, the 27-year-old has stopped 129 of 136 shots (.949 save percentage.) He made 34 saves on Saturday to beat Detroit, 3-1.

"He came here as probably the No. 3, hoping to be the No. 2," Nashville Coach Barry Trotz said of Ellis. "So there's no pressure. Everything is gravy."

Coach Bruce Boudreau, meantime, said he's going with the same lineup he used vs. Boston on Sunday. He also said the Caps needs to play with more desperation than they exhibited in that 2-1 shootout victory over the Bruins.

"We just know that this is an important game for both teams," Boudreau said. "We're fighting for our lives. ...Seemed to me Boston was way more determined last game than we were."

"We can't let that happen," he added. "But it happens. That's why we haven't run off a seven, eight, nine win streak. Seems like there's a satisfaction with a two game win streak and then we let up. We're not in a position where we can let up."

The Caps have won three in a row overall, but are 1-3-1 all-time in Nashville. The other game to keep an eye on tonight, for obvious reasons, is Atlanta at Phildelphia.

Chris Clark took the morning skate, but it's looking like he's not going to play. Coach Boudreau said he's got to be pain-free before suiting up and "he's quite there yet." Clark later said he plans to skate again tomorrow morning in Chicago before deciding whether to play against the Blackhawks.

Olie Kolzig, by the way, indicated that he's fine and will be the backup tonight, one day after appearing to strain something in practice.

Update:After a hooking call was made on Caps defenseman Shaone Morrisonn in the first period, a photo of former New York governor Eliot Spitzer was shown on the video board over center ice. Not sure how many poeple in the crowd got it, but press row was cracking up.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 18, 2008; 12:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark Aiming to Play on Trip
Next: Ovechkin Set for Chicago

Comments

@SteveR from the previous thread...

Let hope they dont become the next CAR and get stronger with more injuries...

I think out of this road trip NSH and CAR will be our big obstacles (sp?)...duh but I think tonight will set the tone... I hope we come out AND STAY hungry for the entire game...

Posted by: MetalCap | March 18, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

7 more hours until Alex proves why he should not get MVP of the league...

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Err that lost me....

Posted by: usiel | March 18, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey 828, what's this about: "7 more hours until Alex proves why he should not get MVP of the league... "

Are you really that much of a Downer & Dummy??

Posted by: Fashi13 | March 18, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

There is a method to 828's madness...

reverse psychology...

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

The reverse psychology works - Go Nashville! (I hate typing that, but whatever it takes...)

Posted by: Roose | March 18, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Trash away 828!!!
That whole backwards-mojo thing has been working great.
Wish a crappy game on Huet too while your at it.

Posted by: pmoravek | March 18, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@Roose

We only have room for one. Try a different angle.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Caps are 3 for 3 with 828's mind tricks

Posted by: Genotype55 | March 18, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up, Francis. 828 has been using reverse psychology--to devastating effect--on the Caps and their foes, for several Ws now.
Ovechkin's best years are behind him. Kozlov is too small and lacks the 'hockey sense' to really contribute. Fedorov stands to learn a lot from Semin, but we won't see results this season.
828 has no sense of humor and doesn't care about the Washington Capitals. You should not feel free to join the fun, as what's posted here (Tarik's posts aside) is tquite important and should be taken seriously by all.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 18, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

It's killing me to not be at the game in Nashville tonight -- it's only about a 2-hour drive away -- but I've got graduate classes tonight. But I'll be out of class in time to watch the opening faceoff. (However, I'll have to watch the NSH broadcast since Locker and Al are blacked out on Center Ice.)

I've seen my share of Predators games ... a hard-working team that's kinda boring to watch at times. Let's hope Alex & Alex spice things up.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | March 18, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Previously posted by JSchon........

Could you imagine all the guys all going out to Applebees for lunch in Nashville.

Brashear: Guys, lets go to Applebees
Green: Can we segway there?
Semin: What is segway?
OV: Are there girls in Applebees?
Laich: Well, Brash, are there girls?
Fedorov: Ya, Brash, whats the girl situation?
Semin: What is segway?
Brashear: There was a fine waitress in the Minnesota Applebees a few years back.
Green: Are there Segways in Nashville?
Backstrom: I would like some ribs I think.
Brashear: Now, you're talking Nicky
OV: I've dated 4 girls named Nicky
Laich: I've dated 6 girls named Nicky
Fedorov: I've got nude photos of Anna on my phone.
Green: Forget the segway, let me see'm
OV: Will you tell Anna I make 9 million?
Laich: Lets see the pictures Feds
Semin: WHAT IS A SEGWAY?????

-Absolutely, Too funny, but exactly what I would have expected to a tee!

I still think that Segway clip is hilarous, OV always wanting to know if the girls will be there. And Backie trying to fit in and understand what is actually going on here in this American City of DC and Green running with the crowd not the leader or instigator but the follower who wish he had the ideas and guts that OV does to actually create fun! And now Fedorov leading the pack with experience and know how - very nice work JSchon!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, can you expound on this comment you made last Friday in the Caps Chat online. You say Johnson will be the backup next year, so who is leaving? Do you have a reason to believe this is so, versus for example a Kolzig-Huet tandem? Thanks, here is your exact comment:

I talked to Brent this morning. He's handling an awkward situation about as well as you could expect. He's been a pro's pro throughout the whole ordeal.
But I don't see him getting back into the lineup this season unless there's an injury or the Caps are eliminated. I do, however, see him as the Caps backup next season.

Posted by: Caps Fan in DC | March 18, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

nice article in the post. do you think that Fedorov is at the point in his career where he would take a pay cut and a diminished role to stay with an up and comming team? i would love to be able to keep him and Nylander. Nyls on the PP, Feds on the PK. There's no way both of those guys can stay healthy for a whole season...can we keep 'em, can we keep 'em?! of course i want to keep Huet as well! and Cook would be cool too...he's playing well, definite upgrade from Petty (as much as i hate to say it).

Posted by: fullright | March 18, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ "Lighten up Francis!"

I am not excited for the game tonight. OV will not make 60 tonight. Huet is a sieve

Posted by: Leeguru | March 18, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Go CRAPS I mean CAPS - Swiss Cheese, Sieve and ALL!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

At least Clarkie's with them. Great progress, though I get the impresion we will not see him until next week.

Posted by: EricS | March 18, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

A couple of answers:

I'm getting the sense that Olie wants to remain a No. 1. If that's not going to happen here (and if they re-sign Huet, he's at best going to split time) I wouldn't be surpirsed to see him leave.

As for Fedorov, I think if he plays in the NHL next season, there will be a team that will offer him more money than the Caps. Cooke has fit in and would be a nice addition, but again, he's going to want a raise, too.

Posted by: Tarik | March 18, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Hooray Huet!

5 goals, 5 assists & 5 country hits for AO!

FedEx will deliver!

Let's go, Caps!

Posted by: reverse of reverse pcycology | March 18, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Re: Olie & 2008-09

How does he expect to be a #1 again? He's turned it on under the pressure of having the job taken from him but we haven't seen him as a constant starter since his numbers went up and without that competition, can he do it on his own?

Posted by: keef | March 18, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

BELIEVE!!!!

Posted by: GO SKINS GO | March 18, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

So Tarik,
I don't want to read into anything, but it sounds like to me your thinking we won't sign Feds or Cooke??? Did I get it right?
I guess I think they are worth something, what is wrong with a little raise if the contribution is great, seems to me we have additional money and why not go for something you know works at this point rather then take a chance on an un-known???

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I know Dummies, I'm going along with the gag.

Posted by: Fashi13 | March 18, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

thanks Tarik! i guess you're right about Fedorov...damned logic and reasoning, gets me everytime! anyway, GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: fullright | March 18, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

English as the what-the-f-language?
Tarik, with all due respect, Ellis is probably the only one that Huet will NOT face. He will be the opposite goalie but that is about it.
828 and Jschon, for reverse psychology to work you must direct it to the person you are trying to convince, unfortunately, i don't think Ovie is reading your post - lets call it wishful thinking of the reverse kind.

Posted by: huh? | March 18, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

As great as olaf has been for this team in the past, i think its exactly what it is....the past. Payin a goalie that posting numbers like .89X save % 5+mil per year is bogus, i would be very dissapointed if we do not resign huet, so will many caps fans.

Posted by: andrey | March 18, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I posted a thread on the Caps message board about a Baltimore City viewing party for the Chicago game tomorrow night. Looks like we're picking a bar in either Canton or Fells. I'll post the details in tomorrow's thread here as well once its settled.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Im not using reverse psychology...

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Greenie,

Feds make 6 million a year. I don't think he'll be getting a "a little raise" from anyone. He's 38 years old, and clearly his best years are well behind him.

Posted by: Leigh | March 18, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie
I couldnt agree more !

Posted by: andrey | March 18, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@huh?

PAY ATTENTION: 828, Jschon, et al, have been doing this "reverse psychology" thing for 3 games with grea success. It's a fun way to kill time before the game, and you don't ever mess with a streak.

As for Huet "facing" Ellis, it's the same in hockey when refering to golaies as it is in baseball when refering to pitchers.

Lighten up!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 18, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Hehe if the opponent team's fans read this blog they're going to be sooo confused!

I'd hate to lose Fedorov. I hope he'll bond with the teammates and want to end his career in WASH with a cup.

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Didn't know you owned the posting rights here...sorry I'm not cool enough to contribute to the reverse psychology.

Posted by: Roose | March 18, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Leigh,
Feds has already said that money is no longer an issue and that he will make a decision at the end of the season on how he feels physicly. He said if he decides to play all it matters to him is how comfortable he is with the team, i dont think he can get any more comfortable then DC.
I dont think we should offer him 6 mil a year but i think hes worth 2.5-3mil easy. He'll be a good 2nd PP center, PK, and 3rd line center. He would get plenty of ice time as gabby loves to roll the lines very often.

Posted by: andrey | March 18, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

huh? - I'll sign autographs on April 1st if you like but for now, I can't waste my time on explaining why things work on people that have just shown up to this board.

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Between 828's reverse psychology and Coach B's wearing the same suit each night, I think we're pretty well covered!

BTW, Gabby's suit should be walking on their own pretty soon. And his tie should have a pretty good menu on it, too.

As for Fedorov, I really don't see him here next year. Not unless he's going to take one heck of a cut in pay. We have a few UFA's and RFA's to sign including Green and, now, Huet. While Fedorov's contribution is large, the team needs a goalie we can count on, and defense.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 18, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Feds is doing great at what he is NOW capable of. Taking faceoffs, some penalty killing. He got 6 Mill a year from what he WAS. He is not longer a first line player, so accordingly he should make 1.5 to 2 mill at most next year and only for one year. If some team offers him 3 or 4 for 2 or 3 years he would take that and not look back. At 38 one year is all the caps should offer. I would love to see him back next year but blowing the budget to do so. I while back Tarik said to start spending Ted's money this would be a good place for just some of it. Let's hope he feels he has enough and wants to hang around OV. Speaking of which, I am sure in time if the caps get much better they will be able to sign players at below market that just want to win...The OV discount so to speak...much like the Wings do now, sign below with chance to win.

Posted by: Rich C | March 18, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Andrey,

I completely agree with everything you said, I was just responding to this comment:

"what is wrong with a little raise if the contribution is great, seems to me we have additional money and why not go for something you know works at this point rather then take a chance on an un-known"

Federov is not getting a raise. I can say that with 100% certainty. If he'd be willing to stay for a more reasonable salary commenserate with his age and where he is in his career (a 3rd line center), I'd love to have him back next season.

Posted by: Leigh | March 18, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If you believe in Superstitions - believe this... Alex will not reach 300 points tonight and the Caps have no chance in winning this game tonight.

See me after the game - thanks for coming... au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen, arrivederci, adeus, хороший bye, adiós!

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie

They're rentals. Don't fall in love or your heart will get crushed.

Posted by: keef | March 18, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Prediction

Caps 5 Preds 3

Atl 6 Philly 5 OT

Posted by: JamesD | March 18, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@Leigh - I'm not sure his best years are behind him, maybe his best point years, but I think sometimes the veterans best years are the ones contributing to young clubs and guiding them to victory right before retirement. If we didn't have vets, we wouldn't be able to overcome adversity in the locker room and on the ice!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie

Don't forget Nyles is a vet with tons of experience and locker room leadership. Feds is just keeping his seat warm.

Posted by: keef | March 18, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Sign Huet, let the rest to choose if they want to be DC united.

Feds for 1 mil? Good price? Too high, too low? Ottawa and Detroit will show interest for sure for FedEx.

Posted by: reverse of reverse psychology | March 18, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Auf Wiedersehen

Posted by: Papa Panzer Schultz | March 18, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@Roose

Dude my bad... I said it tongue and cheek... if you feel compelled to reverse away, then reverse away...

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Greenie,

So you want to keep Fedorov so badly for his leadership skills, that you'd be willing to give him "a little raise" up from $6 million? Yikes, I'm glad your not the GM.....

Posted by: Leigh | March 18, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I think Gabby's bought some suits since November. He's looking a little sharper than when he started. What's the name of the place that advertises during caps games?

Posted by: Hook | March 18, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Superstitions are why I go to Verizon Center looking like an extra from the three amigos. If it ain't broke....

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Achtung, Panzer!

Auf Wiedersehen,

Papa Panzer Schultz

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Hook,

Bruno Chipriani

Posted by: Leigh | March 18, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Has Papa Panzer learned how to say half slap shot in German. Of course, maybe it speaks for itself.

Posted by: Hook | March 18, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I love Olie and the way he's playing now, and what he has done here in his career. However I dont see any team in the league that would sign him to be a number 1 goalie unless he wants to play for a non-playoff team.

I hope he will realize that and know that having him split time with Huet (if we re-sign him) could be a killer one two punch in the league.

Posted by: Darryl | March 18, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I am using reverse psycology tonight. Nicht panzer faust half slap shots tonight!

Panzer Schultz

Posted by: Papa Panzer Schultz | March 18, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

A question for all....since the Frozen four is here next year, will VC HAVE to do something about the ice? I can not imagine the NCAA is going to let their championship be played on the present surface. I am hoping the they will be forced to fix the problem.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

TARIK:

1. Are there teams who would sign Olie as their number one goalie? Is he that marketable?

2. When will one of the kids (Varlamov and Neuvirth) make it to the CAPS?

3. Do the CAPS have no faith in the Hershey Bear goalies to move up to the NHL and play with any success?

Thx.

Posted by: Dezlboy | March 18, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov will get a 2yr 4 to 5 million dollar contract, but it wont be from the Caps.

He still is 40pt a year player who can run a point and win 60% of his face offs.

Cooke makes 1.5 mill... I hope we keep him around for about that number.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Here are list of teams that Olie would be the #1 goalie...

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S
I certainly agree on Green, Huet, but I would really like Fedorov to stay with us.

First of all, nobody told him that he is old. Look at him, he's one of the players with the most energy out there. Last game he played a lot of that 6 minutes short handed situation.

Second, listen to his interviews - he's really cool, calm, in control. I bet our boys are sucking up all that like sponges - and they need to. The Caps talent is winning us games, but sometimes I look at the games against big teams, the Devils, or the Red Wings, and think: "are our kids really playing against them?". They're strong, but sooooo young.

Third, his experience is unbelievable. 162 playoffs games, 3 Stanley Cups. He knows. BB can learn from him too (I thought I saw BB listening to him a couple of times).

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Achtung, Panzer!

I know, I know what you thinking:
Here comes Papa Schultz and destroys a good afternoon conversation.

But at least I am not promising my patented half slap shots tonight, maybe a shot of schnups after the game.

Auf Wiedersehen,

Papa Panzer Schultz

Posted by: Papa Schultz | March 18, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I have a hard time believing Feds will even be offered a contract to return next year.

UFA's:
Feds
Bradley
Cooke
Laing
Kolzig
Huet

RFA's:
Fehr
Laich
Gordon
Eminger
Morrisonn
Green

Looking at what the Caps would be putting on the ice next year, I see Cooke landing a spot before Feds. We have 3 centers under contract already. Top 2 lines, and Checking line. We need a C for our 3rd scoring line and if this team does not resign Laich, I will be very sad. If he's resigned, that's his spot.

I would also like to see us resign Bradley, but I could care less about Boyd. Brash, Stecks, Bradley line is dominate on the forecheck and should be kept for next year. Flash, Laich, Fehr is a great 3rd line and will get better next year the more they play together this year. Semin, Nyls and Clark, Ovie, Backs and Koz round out the top 2. You figure we'd have 1 healthy-scratch guy... I can only hope that'd be Laing but I'm not holding my breath. I could see us resigning Cooke for a rotation spot between 2nd line (clark's spot) and 4th line (brad's).

We also have Chris Bourque to find a home for, IMO he's played better than both Fehr (unfair to complain, he's still getting his legs back) and Flash (I'm not sold, but I have hope he'll get better) and I'd like to see him on the team next year.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 18, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@FFS

Bravo...

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I was listening to NHL Home Ice on XM last night and for what it is worth, they were talking about how they think Feds fits in perfectly in DC. They think it would be a wise move on his part to stay. Feds as the 3rd line center with Nyls as the 2nd line center is amazing depth to have. Imagine the two power play units we would have then!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

I hope they're sponges in the locker room around Fedorov! I just don't see the Caps shelling out the kind of money he will want and draw from others. Maybe the intangibles will do it for him. Maybe he'll want to play with young countrymates more than earn big bucks somewhere else. Maybe his alimony payments aren't that high...

Too many maybe's for me.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 18, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Brooks Laich can also play the Wing. I too wouldn't be heart broken if Gordon went elsewhere. I like the guy, but I think Steckle can get the job done and we already have Steks for another year (i think).

I too am in the camp that wants Bradley to be resigned. If Fedorov signed a one year deal, I'd be all for that too. I think Fedorov is less likely than Cooke. I see us keeping one of the other, but not both

IF we signed Fedorov

OV-Backs-Koz
Semin-Nyls-Clark
Laich-Fedorov-Fehr
Brash-Steckle-Bradley

If we signed Cooke
OV-Backs-Koz
Semin-Nyls-Clark
Cooke-Laich-Fehr
Brash-Steckle-Bradley

in both scenarios I have Flash being a healthy scratch although I am sure he'll be in the mix somewhere.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Caps fan in TN:
Clearly you need to get your priorities straight ... ;-)

Papa Panzer Schultz:
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?!? Ich glaube nicht aber ... ?!? :-P

Posted by: Boo! | March 18, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind, Flash has over 100 games, which means he has to clear waivers before being sent to Hershey. Fehr has played only 40 so he'll be Hershey-able next year. That will factor ENORMOUSLY into who plays on the 3rd line next year if we decide to keep Feds/Cooke.

While I agree Laich can play wing, he seems to be much more at home as the C-man. If we can keep Feds for cheap, I say stick Fehr back to Hershey, and have Laich, Feds, Flash.

I am also unsure where I'd put Clarke. When Koz was on Line2, it was our most productive line. Clark knows Ovie and can play much the same role Kozy plays. I'm just unsure how well clark, Semin and Nyls would fit together. I'd almost like to see Kozy on Line 2 to give Semin the spark he needs, and let Clark get 30 again opposite Ovie.

Can this team really score 5/game average next year?

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 18, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

There is so much talent a year away from making an impact on the Caps.

Signing Fedorov, as much as I like him, isnt the direction this team should be heading. They have young guys who need to play and get paid.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

That's telling them boo

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Trade Nyls and keep Feds. I think Feds is doing a lot for Semin and the rest of the young guns. Not to mention, the Caps have a better winning % without Nyls than with Nyls.

Posted by: broseph | March 18, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

SEWKS:
Hey, all that schoolin' didn't go to waste ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 18, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The Caps must sign Mike Green
before they even consider
throwing money at Feds
and The Pressure Cooker.

Feds might contribute 1 or 2
additional healthy years at best,
at more than 6 million each!

GMGM should use that money to lock-up
Green to a long-term-lucrative contract.

Other clubs covet Green's skills
and offer sheets are going
to be on GMGM's desk this off-season.
The Caps must be prepared to match them,
or they will lose a cornerstone
of this young and exciting team.

Mike Green, Karl Alzner and OV...
sounds like The, Stanley and Cup to me.

Posted by: galu in boston | March 18, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@ JSchon
No sweat - it's all good!

By the way, don't know if anyone has mentioned this here (didn't see it), but NHL On the Fly was on this morning and in the "rapid fire" portion:

Lead Anchor: What team would you hate to play in the playoffs?

Dave Reid (former NHLer and Stanley Cup Champ) answered VERY quickly: Washington

Gotta like that; people in hockey circles are starting to recognize that this team is coming on strong and is a force. Also, good comments on NHL Live on NHL Network yesterday about the playoff atmosphere and the size of the crowd at the Boston game. They act surprised like we don't have hockey fans here! Go Caps!

Posted by: Roose | March 18, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@broseph,

"the Caps have a better winning % without Nyls than with Nyls"

Yea, but...... How many games did Nyls play for BB before he went out for surgery? That's a very misleading stat you threw out there imho.

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

FedEx, great nickname....

Posted by: AP | March 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@Boo,

I don't read a lick of German, but it looked good anyway. Probably had nothing to do with hockey, we couldn't tell the difference.

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@galu in boston

I love power statements... almost as much as the power stance in rock...

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

At this point in their careers, Nylander (when healthy) is much better than Fedorov.

No contest.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
Genau! Na ja, es ist egal ... alles gute! ;-) LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 18, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

No reverse psychology here, but just old fashioned caution. I haven't quite put all my faith in Alzner yet, there have been too many "next great things" to come out of the juniors/minors. I hope he is the real deal, but I'd prefer to wait and see

Posted by: AP | March 18, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

To expan on Galu's comment.

Green MUST be extended before FA signing period. If Green goes to RFA market, we WILL lose him because some team WILL build their franchise around him with a contract they know we can't match. (Edmonton, Toronto).

As much as I hate to say it, it will be easier to lock Green and ShMo up if we miss the playoffs. That will give us a month to ink guys to deals before they can sniff the open market. THAT would be more important than a 7th or 8th seed this season.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 18, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya JSchon. I would only want Fedorov for one season if we kept him. We do need to give the young guys a chance but I am still iffy on a lot of our young talent being ready for the big show. But with the addition of Bouchard and Perault(Sp??) from the Q, Hershey should be pretty stacked.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Early in the season... Hanlon coaching... did any of us know how good Green or Backstrom could be? No.

Enter BB...

We need to give the youngsters a chance to prove they can play or cant.

This offense is the proving ground.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Somewhat of a side note, is it just me or is it kind of sickening to realize before he signed his contract, OV was making less than Emminger, just food for thought

Posted by: AP | March 18, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey,
You Caps need a down low guy with a great shooting %????
Re-sign Dimitri Khristch!

Posted by: Denis Maruk | March 18, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sign me...

Posted by: Craig Berube | March 18, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

AP, don't cry for Ovie. He might have a low base salary, but Ovie's probably met all of his performance clauses (which is why his cap value is much higher). I doubt Eminger had any bonuses.

Posted by: tallbear | March 18, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!

Posted by: Jake | March 18, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Berube! HELL YEA! Lady that sits next to me (when they show up) has a Berube jersey.

Where's ol' Dino Ciccarelli!?

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 18, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Ovechkin Lands Hair Cuttery Endorsemen"

per Steinberg's blog.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

If I were "Hair Cuttery", I wouldn't want him as my image... He's, um, a tad rough around the edges.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 18, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Will Nashville be supplying the refs, or do we get to bring ours with us like Boston did?

Posted by: Rob Iola | March 18, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

My hubby has a Dino jersey. Gets lots of comments at games. That guy was amazing. Deciding on whether his next jersey will be Berube or Kaminski (sp).

I think Green is a priority and hope Laich and Mo are too. I think Fed is great, but don't know that I would place signing him above those three.

Posted by: Kim | March 18, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Ich glaube nicht aber

Ja, ich spreche kein Deutsch, ja, ja...

Meine ein halb Slap Schuss ist sehr schwierig, ja!

Papa Regeln, ja!

Posted by: Papa Schultz | March 18, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Re-sign Kevin Kaminski

Posted by: Jake | March 18, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Greenie's Post was..............
So Tarik,

-Not defending anyone, but I think some people here may have read the original statement wrong.... The raise was to include both Feds and Cooke not Feds himself - correct Greenie??

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Unleash halb Slap Schuss !!

Posted by: Papa Schultz | March 18, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad someone understood it, I was just going to keep my mouth closed and let everyone run with it, since it seemed to stir the board up this afternoon with good bantering! But thanks anonymous!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

@Chief boo!

mutlilingual? The possibilities....

It's tough, IMO, to judge what old vet to sign and who to let go. Without a doubt, Green must be locked up. And that will be done. I have no doubt in that. When Nyls gets back from his major shoulder surgery, how good will he be? How will surgery affect him? That's a big unkown. I think it may be benificial to sign both Feds and Nyls and perhaps trade one in the preseason.

Aren't these wonderful problems to have?

And now, for tonights Leeguru prediction:

The ice at the Gaylord Entertainment Center, or GEC as the locals call it, will be better than the ice at the phone booth! And it will be cold!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 18, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous,

If thats the case, it doesnt change anything for me. I dont think Cooke should be getting a raise either. He's making 1.525m. I wouldnt go any higher than that.

Posted by: Leigh | March 18, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@AP---you forgot the bonuses in the contract. Emmy only wishes he was making as much as OV before OV"s new contract.

Posted by: poor ov | March 18, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Update on Clark's condition:

It is tough to say, but it is not getting worse, so that is a step forward, I guess

Posted by: Clark's groin | March 18, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

And here's to hoping the CAPS bring their "A" game -
So in reverse theory it should work like this................
"A" game + good ice = loss
OV shutdown + Huet sieve = loss
Semin toe drag + Bad penalties = loss
Did I get it right???

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

And Backstrom doesn't shoot = loss

Posted by: Greg S. | March 18, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Laich gets to 20 tonight.

He will go to the net, next year he will get more bread, and will be able to make more trips to the bank.

Posted by: Kim | March 18, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@Leigh - Everyone that has been quoted on loan is worth considering and you are entitled to put a price on each player. But truth is that I'm not GM so there is nothing to worry about, I guess I put a higher price tag on leadership than maybe you do and I still believe he has a couple of 40 point seasons left in him, not 6 million, but I would keep them both for that. I also believe there are others that are more expendable, but you don't get a chance at a player like Feds every day - that's all.

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Nylander's number were not that great, but he was playing very well before the surgery - he was scoring and assisting - and all that in pain.
And I like the fact he's on the ice skating.

gmgm can do a lot of good by resigning all the above-mentioned goodies :D

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

There's one good reason we probably won't be able to resign Cooke and Fedorov: not enough money or spots to go round.

We have to re-sign Mo and Green. They'll both get ample raises (look at somewhere around 5 mil per year for Green). Throw in a deal with Huet and that takes our salary to over 50 mil a year.

As much as I love Cooke and Feds, I'm not sure there are places on the the team for them next year. Feds would be at best a 3rd line center (assuming Nyls is healthy), and we have plenty of bumpers and grinders in Cooke's spots. Besides Clark coming back, Fehr and some of the other young guys (Bourque, perhaps Bouchard) will be trying to make a spot next year on the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Conclusion: as much as they've been great additions, doesn't look good odds-wise for Feds and Cooke being here next year.

That being said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Posted by: Joneyman | March 18, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie

You might be putting too much emphasis on one person as a leader. There are many leaders on the team and two of the greater ones have been sidelined for most of this season.

Posted by: keef | March 18, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

You could all be right - Feds isn't really that important if Clark and Nyls are healthy! Oh yeah and both Clark and Nyls have won the Stanley Cup right (don't think so, but like I said I'm not GM so no worries about that!)

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Never thought of it that way!

Posted by: No-One | March 18, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Greenie,

The only thing I disagreed with you about was giving either of them raises. They both certainly have value, but not if Fedorov costs over 6 million and Cooke cost over 1.525 million.

I would love for Fedorov to come back at 2 million and be our 3rd line center.

Cooke may be expendable. Although I like how he plays the game.

Posted by: Leigh | March 18, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie

Im pretty sure neither Clark nor Nyles have won the cup with anyone. However, they both have playoff experience which is very important.

Posted by: captnclark | March 18, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I know, everyone is right and I do agree just like to stir up the board and get good insight from every direction, everyone has good valid points and I'm open for what makes us a contender! Go CAPS - OVER and OUT! BEEM me up SCOTIE!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Papa Schultz:
Sehr nett ... aber du hast gesagt, "Ja, ich spreche KEIN Deutsch" ... so which is it?!? ;-)

Leeguru:
I'm not sure what those possibilities are, but please do enlighten me! Having said that, one thing that I am sure of is that you are STILL the master!! Keep those predictions rolling!! BTW, speaking of multilingual, were you the one who wrote "tabarnak" several posts back?!? If so, I'm on to you ... ;-) (Melanie - please excuse my French!! :-))

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anybody would argue that Fedorov is deserving of a raise. At this point in his career the BEST he could hope for would be 3 million, and the most I would pay for him would be 2.5 million for one season and one season only.

I don't think Greenie ever said Fedorov should get more than 6 million, i think his giving raises was referring to other players but i could be mistaken

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I guess the question to ask on Feds is how much is a 40 point scoring face off winning machine who probably has as much playoff experience as the rest of the team combined worth? Is 2.5-3 next year in line?

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

There's no way you'll pay both Mo and Green $5 M. That's too much for each, and more than Semin at $4.6. I'd say Mo at around $1.8 and Green at $3 - $3.5

I expect Eminger to go somewhere else. Bradley and Gordon as well.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 18, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

D&%n it Sombrero, there you go beating me to the punch again.

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Oops - sorry - 5:08 was from me!! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 18, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@Chief Boo!,

I don't even know what a "tabarnak" is. I know phrases of languages, and the only french I know was taught to me by a French Canadien "Voulez Vous...." ahhh, you know the rest....

Posted by: Leeguru | March 18, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Greg S,

I think they were talking about 5 for Mo and Green combined.

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that a four letter word in English?

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget that you've got Poti's experience back on D too. He's at $3.5 M now.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 18, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Green for 5mil a year? Wow so after one good year we turn around and give him 5 mil? i think semin had a great year last year and when we resigned him correct me if im wrong for just over 3 mil a year, he was a top 15 goal getter in NHL last year, we sure didnt pay him top 15 salary, so why would we pay top 15 D men salary for Green?
Dont get me wrong i think hes great and love the way he plays, i just think he has some more proving to do before he gets that big check so does the other alex its fortunate that he got injured with one of the worst injuries in hockey but i'm glad that he can at least click off a 25 goal season despite the injury and hopfully comes back and has a 50 goal season next year.

Posted by: @joneman | March 18, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

ich spreche kein Deutsch

Ja

Papa Schultz

Posted by: Papa Schultz | March 18, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Must have been someone else ...

SEWKS:
Yes it is! I was surprised to see it here ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 18, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Green will get $4 mil a year or more per year on the open market.

Pothier is making $2.5
Poti $3.5
Green $4.5

Jurcina, Lepisto, Schultz and Erskine are all signed and make less than $900,000

Morrisonn might be gone unless he accepts a $1.5.

Alzner is not signed either.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Keep Fedorov to raise Semin, just as Nyls is to help raise Backstrom. If Semin can *spell* Selke when the Caps roar into next year's playoffs, Fedorov has earned $2.7--just about twice Kolzig's pay cut. One year.
Flash leaves with Eminger, Bradley, and Gordon. Huet signs for 3x3 in a timeshare with Kolzig: if Olie can find a better deal elsewhere, the Caps will pay respect and part ways. Green gets $3.3, Mo gets $2.1.
All the kids in the pipeline mostly stay there for a season(ing), nice prolleng to have. 828 knows just how foolish and shortsighted GMGM really is.

Posted by: redlineBarcaGM | March 18, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@joneman

No one in the NHL would mistake Semin for a top 15 forward, not even close. We resigned him at $4.6 mil.

Green has been, through out the year, one of the top offensive defensemen in the NHL. The upside for Green is off the charts. His skill level for a d-man is top 10, he just needs some seasoning.

Not signing Green would be devastating. Morrisonn is expendable and may have to go.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@Joneman

There is some crazy GM out there who would offer Green 5 million a year. Just look at what happened with Vanek. He had a 48 point season his rookie year, followed by an 84 point season in his sophmore year. Some GM, i think it was Lowe in Edmonton, Offered him a 7 year contract worth over 7 million each year. What is Vanek doing THIS season? 53 points in 73 games....

Its conceivable that a GM out there would try to sign Green way over market just to make a splash, or to appease a fan base because they missed out on UFA's 1 2 and 3.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Papa Schultz:
Das tut mir Leid ... :-(

I am really anxious about tonight's game. I don't follow the Western conference very much, so I don't know what to expect (i.e. I watch the standings, but don't watch Western games unless they are playing Eastern teams). Based on the standings (and Tarik's fine write up), I assume that Nashville is as hungry as we are, plus it sounds like their keeper rocks. That should make for a real nail biter ... but this could be it! Well, the first in a series of it's!! ;-) LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 18, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

and I agree with JSchon, Green's skill level is top notch. Thats why a GM would sign him to a long term contract for 5 million a year hoping that by year 3 of that contract, 5 million looks like a bargain.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Sombrero Guy; there is some GM out there, and I really think it is Lowe in Edmonton who is still crying over the Nyls thing, that will try and offer Green 5-7 million just to make us over pay or steal him away or something. He's under 24, and that's the age "they" say most defensemen mature.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 18, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Do we really have to wait two weeks for another home game?!? :-/

Posted by: Boo! | March 18, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

For those looking to kill time between now and the opening faceoff...

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks JSchon, for trashing my Mo Green (!) offer sheets with, you know, facts and stuff.
FFS, Greg, and you keep infecting context and reason into this discussion. Especially today. What is UP with that?

Posted by: redlineblue | March 18, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

As far as Green goes, its going to come down to whats important for him. If money is more important, he's going to hold out and see what offer sheets come in. If he wants to stay in DC, he'll get something wrapped up before July 1st. With the upside that this organization has in the next 5 years, Green would be a fool to follow the money. We have something special brewing.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Here are they salaries of the top scoring defensemen.

Lidstrom $7.5
Gonchar $5.0
Markov $5.75
Campbell $1.5 (UFA and will make around $6.0 in 08')
Phaneuf $6.5
Streit $0.6 (UFA will get $4)
Jovanowski $6.5
Kaberle $4.25
Chara $7.5
Rafalski $6.0
Green $0.8
Pronger $6.25

The reason why Green will get at $4 mil? Age and skill.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

hey, does anyone know where the man games lost to injury can be found? I heard the FLa coach whining about his team and the number of man games lost to injury this season. But i think not only have the Caps lost as much as anybody, but who we have lost makes it hard for me to think anyone else had as much to overcome. I mean, Pothier, Clark and Nylander have to be well over 150 games all by themselves.

Posted by: kenwood | March 18, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero

Although I agree that we something special brewing here, if team A offers Green $6 x 6 and we offer him $4.5 x 4, then he'd be a fool not to take it. There arent many players that wouldnt leave for an additional $14 mil.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Just tryin to keep it real

Posted by: Greg S. | March 18, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, Sombrero Guy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what we're looking at next season (these aren't set lines, mind you):

OV/Backstrom/Kozlov: $12,350,000
Semin/Nylander/Clark: $12,450,000
Brashear/Steckel/Flash: $2,425,000

Poti/Shultz: $4,150,000
Pothier/Jurcina: $3,412,000

Laing & Lepisto: $1,175,000
Johnson: $825,000

Unless I fat fingered it, that's a total of $36,787,000. Obviously, you need a starting goaltender, another forward line, and a top defensive pairing. RFAs Green, Morisonn, Laich, and Fehr factor into this, as well as UFAs Huet, Kolzig, and Bradley. Fit Fedorov and/or Cooke if you find the cash or desire. Then there are the prospects, like Alzner (who is not signed at this point), as well as other possible free agents.

A lot of what they're going to do will be decided by the new salary cap and floor next season, of course.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 18, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

You all are crazy... the Caps have no chance to win tonight. Alex is not going to hit 300 tonight and he wont have a multi-goal game. As stated in the other post - Laich, Semin, Flash, and Kozlov will not have goals tonight... no chance. See you all in the loser's corner!!!

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

How many country music singers does it take to change a light bulb? Five. Four to change it and one to sing about the old one. Nashville is our b#%ch tonight. UTF

Posted by: mark from parkville | March 18, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Where's chief? we need more negativity.

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

this team will go nowhere as long as gmgm is in charge, blah, blah, blah!

Posted by: fake chief | March 18, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

OV/Backstrom/Kozlov: $12,350,000
Semin/Nylander/Clark: $12,450,000
Brashear/Steckel/Flash: $2,425,000

Poti/Shultz: $4,150,000
Pothier/Jurcina: $3,412,000

Laing & Lepisto: $1,175,000
Johnson: $825,000

Green $5,000,000
Laich $1,250,000
Huet $3,500,000
Morrisonn $1,750,000

Good bye Bradley and Boyd.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

ATL @ PHI on Versus

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Philly and Atlanta on Versus

Posted by: tv guide | March 18, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Okay guys, here's how you figure out how much to raise pay the restricted/unrestricted free agents:

x = their Plus/Minus standard deviation from 0 where 1 standard deviation is + or - 0-5, 2 for +/- 6-10, 3 for +/- 11-15, etc, (keeping the sign from their +/- avg).

y = the average number of places they sit on the bench away from coach Boudreau at away games multiplied by the cheering they get individually in decibals when entering the Verizon center during home games.

z = player's annual salary divided by the players jersey #

Offered salary adjustment = (zy)+([federal prime rate]*100*x)

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

What is D?

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one, or is putting Chris Clark straight back into the the lineup at this time of year, after so long out, a mistake?

He may be back to full fitness (soon) but that's not game fitness. He hasn't played for so long that its gonna take 3 or 4 games (at least) until he's sharp. If he comes back against Chicago with 8 critical games left, is his inclusion too much of a risk to upsetting the chemistry that has been built up in his absense?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 18, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

ATL 1 PHI 0

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

YES!!! Atlanta scored vs. Philly.

Re: Fedorov... If we make the playoffs, he's marginally less important for the youngster development (more games with him). So I wonder if that will affect resigning...

Posted by: TripDonkeys | March 18, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

@DaveUKCapsFan

I'm sure BB has the plan. He wouldnt put Clark in a bad spot or the Caps.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

1-0 ATL. At the end of the night, the caps COULD be in 8th place!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 18, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

1-1.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 18, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

From Wikipedia:

The scene in which Barry ceremoniously repeats the phrase "unleash the fury" before feeding Mitch the snake has, for several years, been regularly played at Atlanta Thrashers hockey games. The clip's popularity among fans prompted the team to make 'Unleash the Fury' the theme of its 2007 playoff appearance.

We need a new one!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 18, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Just responding, because you guys amuse me.

@leeguru
PAY ATTENTION: Two wrongs do not make one right.

@828
Did you mean to say "You can't waste other people time ..."? Good decision, from what I read of your post, it would have been a waste.

LOL - now lets just drop it.

Posted by: huh? | March 18, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

We need a new one!

Use old, but gold:

Unleash Schultz' half slap shot!

Posted by: Papa Schultz | March 18, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

YEEEESSSSSSS!!!

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

WHAT IS SEGWAY????

1-0

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I think I would like Ribs!!!!

2-0

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Nicky!!!!

Posted by: keef | March 18, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

YYEEEESSSSSS AGAAAIINNNN!!!

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey Alex, you went over a hundred.

Posted by: tallbear | March 18, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

It is time to scratch Flash. He can't forecheck or finish to save his life. After periods 2 and 3 tonight, it is clear that Laing is needed again.

Posted by: TJ2 | March 18, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TJ2 | March 18, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Great start to the road trip. It wasnt pretty at all.

Smokin Al was giving me anxiety all night.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Huet saved the Caps tonight with his play. Even though the Preds almost tied it up late in the third, I love how the Caps played in that final minute. Ovie was blocking shots on that 6 on 5. Even the empty net goal he scored for his 300th career point was amazing. I kept on replaying it on my DVR was the defenseman nearly takes his own head off trying to catch that banked puck shot. Great win tonight, Chicago is next, and the Caps need to keep playing like their lives depend on it.

Posted by: Lowell | March 18, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Wooo insider's blog is back!

What a game! Incredible start, bad second and third. Huet was incredible (except I think the second goal was a bit weak).

Are the second and third reasons to be worry? Hopefully BB will address that.

Am I the only one that stopped breathing when the clock was at 2 minutes?

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

@TJ2

Not that anyone looked very good in the 2nd and 3rd... Flash doent look able to do anything right. Laing isnt the answer however. Clark comes back and moves Cooke to the 3rd line.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Woow where the Caps outplayed tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree with scratching Flash or even sending him back down to Hershey for someone that can forecheck and drive to the net. Flash had a horrible game tonight. I saw him knocked off the puck constantly. Caps need to bring Laing back to the line up.

Posted by: Madflava | March 18, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Humph! Another 20 minute game play. Huet saved our bacon - AGAIN!

That AO goal was sick, though, wasn't it? A banker off the side to avoid icing? Un-freakin'-believable! You could see him think "down the middle", then "no, could miss and get icing. I'll bank it." No wonder he has 101 points, 58 goals and 300 career points.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 18, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

Bad 2nd? I thought he was the only Cap on the ice!

Posted by: Greg S. | March 18, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Lets not overlook that NSH is a very good team and this game was just as important for them as it was for us, maybe even more. We embarrassed them the 1st period. I knew that they were going to come out and put it on us. Huet stole this game for us, and thats what a good goalie does. The 2nd goal was soft by Arnott, but he isnt a shabby player either.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

@Greg

? who? I meant the Caps didn't play in the second (well except Huet).

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

If Ovechkin had missed that bankshot, why would that have not been icing? Is it that it came off the boards? That wasn't a catchable pass to anyone, or catchable by the Predators...

Posted by: capsfan | March 18, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Thank god for Huet. I just hope we have enough energy tomorrow after a late flight tonight and another huge game. Great start to the road trip!

Posted by: fansince74 | March 18, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Most likely I fail to be objective, but I thought the refs were wrong and against the Caps in two three occasions.

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Where is everybody!! Sleeping already??? Time to celebrate-with-moderation-tomorrow-another-must-win this huge win!!

Boo! Come on give some sugar to Huet :D

Oh, and 828!!! hehe 3-0 since you introduced the "system" :D

Leeguru! *offers beer to everybody*

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure 828 will back me up; we got lucky but what's it matter? Carolina is gonna win out. Buffalo, and Philly are gonna get hot. We're done.

Posted by: kevbpgc y'all | March 18, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that last goal from Ovie was pretty sweet. Maybe not quite as lucky as the Leafs goal tonight...
but pretty amazing in any respect. Add that to the highlight reel. Thank heaven for Huet...I was starting to worry that the Caps had left for Chicago after the 1st and forgot to tell him they were leaving...

Posted by: nat | March 18, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Mauree:
Yup - Huet deserves some sugar (or sucre, as the case may be). That was a REALLY fun game to watch!! And Brads probably had the prettiest goal. I hope they keep it going - it is within their reach!! Now if only Philly, Carolina and the other teams in front of us would falter ... :-/

Posted by: Boo! | March 18, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who noticed how much Tootoo dove after Poti checked him? How was that not a penalty (watch the replay- he takes a stride and launches himself into the boards!) when Ovie gets called for diving--while skating 100 mph no less--on Sunday against Boston? Did we even get any PPs after the first period tonight??

Posted by: Buttex | March 18, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I saw that too. I saw another play that I was thinking was a dive too, but can't pull it off the top of my head. Game Summary on washcaps.com gives NSH one penalty in the 2nd, zero in the 3rd. Although we only had two in the 2nd and one in the 3rd.

Posted by: @ Buttex | March 19, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I wish I had been in Nashville tonight, instead of in class. But I saw the game ... yeah, Nashville's kinda boring to watch play offensively.

I was stuck with watching the game with the NSH announcers ... it made me miss Joe B and Locher. Got to hear again about Gabby's appearance in Slapshot (sigh), chatter about Ovechkin's old commercial with Ted (sigh) and the mispronunciation of Lepisto's name (la-PISS-toe).

And the NSH announcers were raving about how well the Caps PK was playing ... and I thought, that's because the Predators STINK on the PP!

Wonder what 828 thinks about our chances in Chicago?

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | March 19, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Had a crazy day today, so after the first period thought - how nice of the Caps to give me a nice, relaxing, easy win to watch. Right. That would be too boring, wouldn't it?

I'm dying to see the post game comments on Caps TV because I really hope someone asks Ovechkin if that empty net bank shot was intended because if it were that is just sick.

Great job by Huet even though the two goals that went in were a bit questionable and he also almost gave the puck away twice while roaming. Saved our bacon nevertheless.

Let's hope the Caps got a nice rest over the last two periods (since it was nap time for them) and will be fresh for tomorrow's game vs. Chicago.

P.S. Stinking Flyers won also, but at least we hopped over the Sabres.

P.S. Apologies for jumping all over 828 in the Boston game thread. I don't have time to hang out here all day and was not in on the inside joke. Keep it up.

Posted by: ranndino | March 19, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!
Unfortunately I don't think Carolina will slow down. Starting tomorrow in ATL, they have an easy schedule. However ATL didn't play bad tonight, so there's hope.

And there's definitely hopes about Philly. They aren't playing that great, and have a tough schedule...

A win tomorrow would be huge - and it's an easier game than today on paper... which can backfire, our boys play better the hard games.

What a great period the first was. They don't know what hit them.

Posted by: mauree | March 19, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

mauree:
I know ... how many great players does Carolina need to lose before someone tells them that they are supposed to play worse without those guys?!? Unbelievable. Hopefully they will get cocky and ATL will walk all over them ... hey, stranger things have happened!!

RE: Nahsville, I think you are right - they don't know what hit them. Like many Eastern teams earlier in the season, I think Nashville wrote the Caps off and did not take them seriously. Silly Predators ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 19, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Tarik:
Is Ovie OK? Where exactly did he get hit by that puck?

Posted by: Boo! | March 19, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

@Jschon

Having reviewed the salaries of the top scoring D, 4 million might be a bargain for Green. Green is also the only member in that list not eligible for UFA status i believe.

Huet saved our butts numerous times tonight, our boys really let up in the second and third but managed to hang on for the win. Hopefully they learned a lesson

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 19, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

@Jschon

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 19, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

There's no possible way that the Caps are going to win tomorrow night in Chicago (ok, tonight - didn't realize it was that late). And Carolina is going to sweep into the cup.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 19, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

The empty netter was a work of art. Ovchkin had a few moments earlier blocked a shot. When the puck came to him pretty deep in his own end, instead of firing it down the ice and taking a chance on an icing penalty. He banked it off the side boards and it slowly slid down the ice just reaching the empty net ahead of a racing, diving Nasville defender. Only a few ticks were left on the clock. Does Ovchkin practice this sort of shot? Or is he so good, that he just almost magically does this sort of amazing stuff.
He has to be the league MVP. He scores a much higher percentage of his teams goals than any other player. He scores the most third period goals. He is leading the goals and points race. Plus he is 11th in the league in hits. He will be remember like Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, or Mark Mesier. Able to beat another team any way with whatever is needed.

Posted by: rogerr | March 19, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

No interviews on Caps TV :(

Interesting quotes from NHL.com:

Huet:
"It was not a perfect game by any means, I let in a couple of goals that I would have liked to have back, and let them back into the game."

Ovechkin:
"I was just trying to get the puck into the neutral zone, so it was the luckiest score ever"

There's NO WAY we'll win tonight against CHI *smiles at the puzzled look on new readers of this blog*

Posted by: mauree | March 19, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh, man! Just saw the video on the goal scored on Vesa Toskala. I think that's every goalie's nightmare.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 19, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

That empty netter reminded me of a shot I pulled off against "The Kid".

Posted by: Jackie Gleason | March 19, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Anyone going to be at the game in chi town? I've been waiting for this game all year since I live here and it actually means something for once..

Posted by: sam | March 19, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Tonight's we got the Hawks. Steve Larmer is money and Steve Thomas is a force on the D-line. They also have some guy named Cassidy who's awful.

Posted by: dave | March 19, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

There are some BIG games for us other than ours with CHI.

TB @ BUF
NYR @ NJ
CAR @ ATL

Admit that the NYR probably arent going to falter. We havent had much success in games other than ours except for PHI.

But if either TB or ATL pull off a win in regulation, and we win of course, that would put me in a lather.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 19, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else think it is just too cool that Bradley got the game winner? I wanted Brooks to get his 20th, but actually liked his pass to Bradley even better. I don't care what anyone says, Matt Bradley is playing his guts out!

While I admire Ovie's Hart in blocking that shot in the first, I would much rather Laing take care of that for us.

Posted by: Kim | March 19, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I never knew Nashville was so enamoured with bad puns.

Posted by: EricS | March 19, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Wondering if the lineup will be the same tonight.

Anyone else think Fedorov is playing great hockey? He's fore-checking, helping the D, passes and chances, he's so valuable both on PP and PK - and I still have to see him make a mistake/turnover.

Posted by: mauree | March 19, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

mauree, Correction - 4-0... and BB was not wearing the same suit... so, I am assuming it's my new system that I have implemented.

But, no time to dwell on lucky wins - even though I called 300 and Huet's best game as a Cap... but tonight is a different story.

Chicago is one of those teams that will beat the Caps on any given night. There is no chance the Caps can win this game. There is no chance that Olie can get a 3rd win in a row - he is overrated and just too old to continue to play in the NHL. Kane is so much better than Ovechkin - yes, Ovechkin, not Backstrom... and Backstrom will prove to the league, the world, why he should not be Rookie of the Year... the Caps are a joke - you all should become Pens fans...

Posted by: 828 | March 19, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

@828

You are getting extreme. Some new people just getting into this blog will no doubt try to browbeat you. I've always wanted to type browbeat.

Posted by: JSchon | March 19, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Jschon - I can take care of myself... no one needs to defend me. Plus, why does it matter with the new people getting to this blog... most of us regulars have been here since day 1.

Posted by: 828 | March 19, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

It's like the show Lost - "I'm one of the good guys"

Posted by: 828 | March 19, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

March 20th and we still are in the playoff hunt.....sure has been a while!

Posted by: fansince74 | March 19, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to repost this when Tarik updates, but I am trying to get Baltimore area Caps fans together to watch the Chicago game at Looney's in the Canton square.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 19, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@828

It doesnt matter. You will become the Pied Piper leading the entire blog into the play-offs. I mean I actually almost went into reverse mode today.

Posted by: JSchon | March 19, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

fansince74-

It sure has been a while. Usually by now, we've accepted that the playoffs ain't happening so we could just sit back and enjoy the games with much less stress. But I'll take stress anytime!

Posted by: dave | March 19, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Can't say much about the win last night - again we squeaked it out. Thanks to Huet, he saved us again. Why can't we put a frickin' 60 minute game together???? I just don't get it, seems like our top guys are tired - it must be the brutal scheduling and the must win every night that is taking a toll, we almost seem like we have a bunch of bumps and bruises to take care of anyone else see what I do???
@JSchon - great info on salaries except I really was hoping somehow you would have had room for FEDS!!! I read the board this morning over 2 cups of coffee about the salaries, I totally laughed, can't believe one question sent this whole board into a rant about raises and salary how funny!!! I will think of another topic today - Was almost going to question if Poti is worth the money or for that matter Pothier????

Posted by: Greenie | March 19, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

JSchon - playoffs? u serious? Caps can't make the playoffs - there is no chance. They just don't have it in them.

Don't come over to the Dark Side!

btw - I am your father

Posted by: 828 | March 19, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

@828
You fogot the heavy breathing!!!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 19, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

From the game report on TSN.ca:

Ovechkin carried the puck along the left side below the goal line. Before reaching the back of the Nashville net, he sent a backhand pass to Backstrom in the low slot. Backstrom's initial shot was denied by Ellis, but he was able to backhand the rebound by Ellis.

''(Backstrom) did a great job on that play, but I asked him why he didn't score on the first shot,'' Ovechkin joked.

Posted by: Joe B | March 19, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Have you seen my half slap shot? I said I won't have nicht halb slap shultze and I didn't.

The reverse psycology doesn't work!

Posted by: Papa Schultz | March 19, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I saw that post of the goal on the leafs and it made me think right back to Ivan Majeski? goal againts the pens a couple of years ago.

Posted by: Luis | March 19, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

from 850 The Buzz, Conventional wisdom says the Carolina Hurricanes playing home games during the height of hoops season is a recipe for sparse crowds at the RBC Center. So much for the conventional way, since the Canes sold out games opposite the Duke / UNC season finale and the ACC Tournament Final.

Posted by: Wow | March 19, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@Papa Schultz

That was a good shot actually, and one heck of a save. First time I saw Papa get into the action like that :D keep it up!

Posted by: mauree | March 19, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

as a little side note to the game, we now have more goals for than against this season! Were in the black

Posted by: Mike | March 19, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

anyone else concerned about having ovechkin out there in the last minute trying to block shots? love his nose for the open-netter, but still...

Posted by: MTB | March 19, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

The 2 minutes for hooking is pretty funny. I was staritng to say we should do that in DC with fallen politicians. But, I couldn't get much by "'Obstruction' of Justice" and "'Interefernce' with an investigation" (too many examples to list), and maybe someone convicted of perjury for diving.

Posted by: old time hockey | March 19, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

The Caps season high win streak is at 4... there is no chance they can make it to 5.

Carolina will win two in a row and that will end the Caps chance at the SE div title.

Chicago is just too good of a team. No chance the Caps can beat them tonight.

Posted by: 828 | March 19, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Its Toews and Kane vs Backstrom tonight.

Posted by: JSchon | March 19, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Yes it is, lets see what he's got!

Posted by: Greenie | March 19, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero Guy

Let me know what the turnout is supposed to be... i might try to make the first. otherwise it's back to the trusty old couch for me.

i think the game last night was ok... and although we had a great first... it still rings true that we don't have that "killer instinct" to allow these guys to claw back into the game. we still won, but we have to find it if we're gonna make the big show!!

Posted by: Scofield | March 19, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Mauree...

People! Your support of our D and myself is very important.

I will not unleash my half slap schultze tonight! (wink, wink)

Posted by: Papa Schultz | March 19, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

By the way, if anybody wants a Nintendo Wii, Amazon.com just added them online a minute ago but they'll be gone in about 10 minutes

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 19, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Feds is playing like in his best years. Awesome! It's such a treat to see Fedorov and Ovechkin in the same team, dreams come true.

Oh, did I mention that Hooray Huet rules?

Posted by: Yo | March 19, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Huet should start a new drink... kinda like Yoohoo, but called Yoohaa and white.

Posted by: 828 | March 19, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@sam

I live in Milwaukee, and I've been planning for months on driving down to chi-town for this game. The spike in gas prices last week killed those plans, though. Drink a beer and cheer on those Caps for me, will ya?

Posted by: Gelf | March 19, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@Yo - Feds really has stepped it up, I think the young guys have made it fun for him again!
@JSchon - don't we have room for FEDS next year???? Please!!!!! He looks great!

Posted by: Greenie | March 19, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@greenie and FED lovers (like me)

It depends on what his number is really. If agrees to come on board for $1.5 million for a year or 2, then we have room. Outside of that, No.

We already have 2 front line centers, anyway. I'd rather secure Greene and Laich before spending money on Fed. We need to lock up our future.

Fed will get a 2 or 3 year deal at around 2 to 3 a year I think.

Posted by: JSchon | March 19, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

On the "political penalties", would that mean Senator Larry Craig's picture would be put up when a "butt-ending" penalty is called? Major penalty, game misconduct, and ejection... yup.. sounds about right.

Anyone else find it ironic that there is almost zero publicity about the Chicago Washington game with regards to the rookie points race? Wasn't it just 3 years ago that this was the biggest story in hockey when the players were Ovy and Cindy? Guess there is no interest in a race between an American and a Swede. My how the hockey media loves it's Canadian princess.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | March 19, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Great bank shot OV
If I was not sooooo F.. I would have loved to skate with you!

Posted by: Minnesota Fats! | March 19, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse