Blog Going In For Service

A heads up: Beginning at noon tomorrow, you won't be able to add comments to the blog for about 24 hours as IT performs some much-needed software upgrades and maintenance. I also won't be able to add any new entries after 12 p.m.

I'm told the work is scheduled to be completed by 3 p.m. on Wednesday. So if you've got something you absolutely must get off your chest about the Caps, this would be the time to do it.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  August 4, 2008; 8:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark: 'Everything Feels Good, Strong'
Next: Caps Sign Steckel to Extension (Updated)

Comments

"First"......damn! time to catch up on some reading!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | August 4, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Why couldn't this have been done while you were on vacation???....great planning tarik...way to go

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

All Post blogs are going to be affected. Not just this one.

Posted by: Tarik | August 4, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

@ Tarik

Go to bed already!

Posted by: OleMiss | August 4, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FAVRE BRETT FA...

oops wrong blog

Posted by: Ben | August 5, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

JSchon may be forced to get a life for those 24 hours.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

OK. Let's get serious here. We have too many forwards and need a 20 minute defenceman with experience. Package a few forwards or some draft picks and go get Kaberle from Toronto or Ed Jovanouski from Phoenix, or Bowmeester from Florida or Ohlund from Vancouver.

I only mention those teams because they already have no chance to make the playoffs and getting rid of those guys and adding a few of our forwards or pics would help both teams

Then we can get serious about planning the parade route.

Posted by: Ronnie C. | August 5, 2008 6:38 AM | Report abuse

After Clark, Nylander, and Backstrom we do seem to have a few extra centers - might be worthwhile to give some a chance elsewhere and shore up that blueline.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | August 5, 2008 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Trade the Farm for Gaborik

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Wait. We have a wealth of centers?

Why hasn't this been brought to our attention before?

Yawn.

Posted by: keef | August 5, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Tarik -

Is registration coming to the blog as well?

Posted by: CBT | August 5, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to be traded for Gaborik!

Posted by: The Farm | August 5, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

From the previous ...

Jim:
If you re-read my post, I wrote:

"I agree that Clark works for it. That's how he's gotten so beat up. He is one of the few guys who is not afraid to get in front of the net - on either end of the ice."

I did not say anything about his groin or how long he has been out (although he did miss some action due to other injuries); I was talking about how much abuse he had taken by pucks. None of that had anything to do with the ice. His groin injury? Maybe. But that was not my point - my point was that he has gotten beaten up because he is not afraid to get in front of the net.

Posted by: Boo! | August 5, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Gaborik is UFA at the end of the season, as is Bou. The cap hit to sign either guy long term is going to be big.

Posted by: Steve R | August 5, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

@Regarding your article...

So WP couldn't find Clark's pic in new uniform? Or is it just intensionally sarcastic?

Posted by: King | August 5, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Ed Jovanovski is not a guy who would cause any team to plan any parade route, unless it is some Memorial Day parade and they want to be sure the team isn't encumbered with playoff scheduling. He's been used for years to identify the people who don't understand the difference between physicality and defense.

His two career plus seasons aren't just odd circumstance, he's on par defensively with Rick Berry, whose time in the NHL can't even be classified as a career. Jovanovski just happens to have some scoring ability on top of his random aimless hitting. It's a pretty big indicator when the Coyotes won't even trust him with a minute of penalty kill time per game.

Posted by: Nomad | August 5, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

CBT:
Tarik previously said that registration is coming (although I don't know if this is it).

Posted by: Boo! | August 5, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I believe registration is part of the upgrade. as far as the old uniform in the picture, as most of you know, i don't see pictures or headlines until you do. i only write the words.

Posted by: Tarik | August 5, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Phooey!!!
Registration... I was just getting use to my newly found fame. I guess you know you've made it when people sign anonymously and talk crap about you...

Amen brother... keep it real...

Dont we already have plenty of Jovanovskys, Kaberles, Bouwmeesters and Ohlunds? Why do we need more offensive minded blueliners? Green, and theoretically, Poti are suppose those guys. What we need is an eraser with some basic skills, like passing out of the zone, clearing the puck... Kinda like Jurcina, if he had passing and clearing skills.

This team does not need more offense, with the players coming back and ones we already had, plus Fedorov for a whole year, we should be a top 5 offense.

I wouldn't package any of our players for a offensive minded blueliner unless their names Phanuef, Chara, Lidstrom or Burns and thats because they get it done on the defensive end too.

Posted by: JSchon | August 5, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

We hardly knew you...I bet there are only like four real people that post here anyway.

Posted by: So Long Blog | August 5, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

While the dearth of hockey news will be painful I definitely look forward to registration to hopefully keep the topic on track or at least when it switches to other tasty topics (beer) the conversation can stay civil.

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | August 5, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

With the emergence of Green, Poti has become an afterthought. We need Alzner more than we need a non performing "offensive" d'man. Poti is a libility on defense and a non factor on offense. He needs to go.

Posted by: Bob | August 5, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

No to Gaborik, no to JBoum. Both would require too much in a trade, and both have more of a Cap hit than we can afford.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 5, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I'd go after Brent Burns, though, from the Wild. He'd be a hell of an addition, in my opinion.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | August 5, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Nylander, Kozlov and picks for Gaborik?

Posted by: There is room | August 5, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Way too much for Gaborik.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | August 5, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

As far as Clark giving up the C, the only reason it is even discussed is OV. When you have the best player on the planet on your team, it is hard to justify anyone else wearing the C but him. OV is and was smart enough to know when not to take the C and when it will be time to take it. Imho, how seems to be the right time, he has earned it.

Posted by: Rich C | August 5, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Here's what I know:
1. We needed to upgrade our D and that didn't happen.
2. We're still a bit soft up front, but loaded with skill.
3. I have to laugh at how Ted called Matt Cooke a "Sandpaper" type player - at best he was "fine" grit.
4. Theodore worries me..and Brent Johnson is flat out scary.
5. I'm looking forward to seeing Alzner play to see what he can do.
6. I'm looking forward to seeing Backstrom as well - he's going to be a different player from last season.
7. I'm looking forward to the "spirit squad" - hopefully they have a min. requirement of 36C.
8. Chris Clark - stay healthy this year.
9. Pothier - s or get off the pot.
10. Fire McPhail already!

Posted by: Jaymagz | August 5, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I think Gaborik is already overpaid, and is extremely over rated. He also only managed 1 assist in 6 games in the playoffs.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 5, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

OK - the blog is about to self-destruct ... any words of wisdom before it does?!? :-) Come on - someone's gotta leave us with us tasty morsel to last us for the next 24 hours ... who's it gonna be? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | August 5, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

And, we're back.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | August 6, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

der

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Hrmmm....

Posted by: keef | August 6, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Can I get some TLC as well? I need a tire rotation and a oil change.

Posted by: Zamboni | August 6, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Can I get some TLC as well? I need a tire rotation and a oil change.

Posted by: Zamboni | August 6, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

good move extending Stecks--how much cap for next year?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Does it work again?

If so, news!

Caps sign Steckel to 1 year ext.

Posted by: AM Capsfan | August 6, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, sorry....

Posted by: AM Capsfan | August 6, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

You can view many cute babes online on
" M i x e d m i n g l e . c o m " which is a place to find friends and beautiful black, white single women online. Many sexy girls with big boobs are discussing it and wanna seek for good man there.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse