Blue Jackets 5, Caps 4 (OT)

The Caps suffered an another ugly defeat at Verizon Center. But losing, 5-4, in overtime to the Blue Jackets wasn't their biggest concern tonight.

The big story, of course, was the injury suffered by Alex Ovechkin in the second period. There's nothing new to report right now, but I'm hoping to get some sort of an update on the two-time MVP's status tomorrow. There's no guarantee of that, however, because it's an off-day for the team.

Check out my game story (a new version with quotes should be up soon), then come on back for a few notes that didn't make the paper.

*The Caps are 6-0-3 in their last nine games, but their inability to hold onto a lead is astounding. As you might have imagined, Coach Bruce Boudreau and his players were furious about all the late penalties and breakdowns.

Neither Mike Knuble's slashing infraction late in the third nor Brian Pothier's interference foul were necessary. Both, as it turned out, cost the Caps big time.

I don't know the answer to this team's discipline problem. But it's been dogging them for two seasons now.

*The home team is supposed to get the breaks, right? Not tonight. R.J. Umberger's first goal was scored after Rick Nash's end around took a fluky bounce off the end boards and ricocheted back into the slot.

I swear I've seen the puck do that exact some thing after hitting that exact same spot in the boards a few times over the years. Wonder if they'll fix it now.

*Steve Mason's shutout streak against the Caps ended at 132:13 when Nickas Backstrom scored one of the prettiest tic-tac-toe goals of the season. If you haven't seen the replay, stop reading this immediately and go find it. You'll thank me later.

*Bruce Boudreau's new lines seemed to get things going early. I particularly liked the Tomas Fleischmann-Backstrom-Alexander Semin combo. But the lines got all scrambled up for the most part after Ovechkin left the game. Perhaps we'll see them again Wednesday (depending on Ovechkin's health).

*Nash, if you didn't know this already, is pretty unbelievable. He set up two goals, scored another and was a threat all night on the penalty kill. No question in my mind that he was the best player on the ice tonight.

*Brooks Laich's two-goal game was his second of the season and seventh of his career. He is now tied with Ovechkin for the team lead in power-play goals with three.

*Quintin Laing's goal was the second of his career and first since Dec. 10, 2007 vs. New Jersey.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 1, 2009; 10:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin day-to-day with upper body injury
Next: Morning roundup: Loss to Columbus is secondary

Comments

I'm so SICK of hearing you Caps-HATERS talking about how BAD our defensemen are!

They are AWESOME! We've got like a TOP-5 D-Corps in the NHL! And if you cant SEE that, then you're and IDIOT! SO MANY "posters" on here just DON'T know HOCKEY! If you DID, you'd SEE how GREAT they are!

Let's go CAPS! UNDEFEATED! Yesssssssss!

Posted by: large23220 | November 1, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

that's gotta be the stupidest comment i've ever seen in my whole life.

Posted by: MNMNT | November 1, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ large23220

don't know what you drink or smoke but keep doing what you do... I prefer your delusion about the D than all the whining.

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

well maybe they will need a goon on the team after all if that's really how OV got hurt... at least for the regular season

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope Ovi's OK.

Posted by: ralph4100 | November 1, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

wow joek443, I can't believe you recognize my totally sarcastic comment as a delusional idea.

Our blueline SUCKS. A$$.

I'm so mad that Brooksy's totally B4LLS-out effort got wasted by such defensive ineptness. Im furious.

Posted by: large23220 | November 1, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know of any good stay-at-home defensemen who are going to be free agents (either restricted or unrestricted) at the end of this season.

Maybe the Caps can acquire such a person at the trading deadline this year.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Brad Lidge sucks more... he just hand-delivered the yanks another championship

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

anyone see Poti trying to move the b/jackets forward in front of the net in the OT??

he was trying like heck, cross-checking him numerous times on his back but couldn't move him an inch

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

I don't know but I'd take Brendan Witt back at this point even with that hair... LOL

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

This year is certainly shaping up to be a bad one for World Championships. We already had the Penguins win the SC in hockey. The Yankees are on the verge of winning in baseball. All that we'd need to complete the unholy trinity of sports world championships is for the Dallas Cowboys to win the Super Bowl. Grr!!!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

@ joek443

Brendan Witt turns 35 this year. Do we really need an old defenseman with a high minus total?

BTW, Witt's birthday is forever etched into my consciousness. He is exactly 10 years older than my first daughter.

Enigma, thy name is Pisces. (I've heard of more players, not just in hockey, who've been called enigmas who were born under that sign.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

don't know how much Witter has left in his tank but after watching Poti trying to move that guy and failing so miserably in the OT, I'm pretty sure that's something Witt can still do.

Posted by: joek443 | November 2, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

also he's one of the few players still in the league from the 98 team that went to the one and only SC finals with the Caps so would be cool if he could help them settle the unfinished business this time around.

Posted by: joek443 | November 2, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

@JoeK

I also wonder how much Witt has left in the tank. If he has any thing left, it would be nice to finish some unfinished business.

On our defense, it seems that Pothier has the worst stats (and he's the one who took our last costly penalty.) He is also a free agent at the end of the year.

It may also be time for Poti to go. Age is creeping up on him and he's comparatively expensive among our D.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 2, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Hells yes I'd take Witter back.

Straight up trade: Witt for Poti. I would hope that GMGM would make that deal right now today.

Posted by: large23220 | November 2, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

kinda makes me laugh now when you look at Witt and Chris Pronger now... they were drafted on the same year and Witt wanted the Pronger money even though he was picked several places later in the first round

he would have made the team as a 18-year old rookie but thanks to his weirdo daddy, he ended up sitting out a year.

Posted by: joek443 | November 2, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Just wanna put the river of whining and blaming into perspective before I hit the sack.

We have 20 points, which makes us 2nd best in the East and 4th best in the entire NHL, only 2 points behind Pittsburgh and Colorado who are tied for 1st. A couple of bounces go our way and we'd be in 1st overall right now.

Just sayin'.

So yeah, I think it's the doom and gloom... fire GM, coach, bench Green, Semin, etc crowd that actually lives in its own little world. It's like mass insanity sets in here after every loss.

Posted by: ranndino | November 2, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Once again, too many of our guys take stupid penalties.

We can't bench everyone who takes stupid penalties or we wouldn't have anyone left.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 2, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

WHAAAAAAAT!?!?! No Semin or Schultz bashing?

Posted by: hock1 | November 2, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

@ranndino

I'll admit I'm in a doom and gloom mood at the moment and pissed off about our losses from tonight and Friday.

No, I'm not calling for trading Green, Semin, etc. I'm one of the people who keeps defending them. On Semin, people are more negative about him when he makes mistakes than they are about ANY other guy on the Caps. And I mean ANY other guy.

Firing Boudreau would be a VERY big mistake. For perspective, how did they do under Hanlon -- they were a non-playoff team, a bottom feeder? Ergo: Boudreau is MUCH better coach than Hanlon. Is there anyone out there who's a better coach then Boud and available? Probably not.

Yes, paranoia, thy name is Caps fan. Since we see the same mistakes so often, we all get paranoid.

We are behind only the Pens. The rest of the South Least division is really putrid this year. Age may be catching up with Carolina. Buffalo, in the North East, is doing well but they usually get off to a good start. They did that last year and look what happened to them.

The Caps may not be an elite team but neither is anyone else in the Eastern Conference -- except the Pens. But even they are NOT guaranteed the Stanley Cup just be showing up. There are 4 rounds of playoffs. And maybe they'll go into the playoffs really overconfident ... and get dumped.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 2, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

Calling US domestic league competitions world championships is freaking stupid as hell. World championships are tournaments comprised of national teams, not club teams and by definition have to contain teams from other countries.

I'm sorry to tell you, but the whole world thinks that American sports leagues calling their champions world champions is the height of stupidity and narrow mindedness. Especially in case of baseball, a sport that like 4 countries care about and American football which no one outside the US gives a crap about at all (or plays).

Why not invent your own sport, win a tournament in it against your neighbors and declare yourself a world champion in it? It would be the same.

The world championship in hockey was won by Russia when it defeated Canada in the final for the 2nd straight year. The Penguins won a domestic club competition. Same with the Yankees and whoever wins the Superbowl.

Posted by: ranndino | November 2, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

@hock1

If you want Semin bashing, read "Storming the Crease". The author has found a mistake made by Semin. (Plus, cstanton has been conspicuously absent lately. He's the main Semin basher on this blog.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 2, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

I'm also frustrated with some of our play. I was just putting it in perspective because I'm even more frustrated with a boatload of idiotic comments. Reading them one might get an impression that we're near the bottom of the league and have lost 9 straight. That would be Carolina, not us.

We're still having a good season. What do they say is a mark of a great team? It can play like crap and still win. That's what we've been doing. We've picked up points in almost every game this season.

Posted by: ranndino | November 2, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

@ranndino

You have a great point there. Americans are too eager to call their teams "World Champions". Baseball calling their championship series "The World Series" is overstated.

And no one outside of North America cares about American football. The game that most countries call "football" is the one that Americans call "soccer".

I guess I'm a typical "narrow minded" American.

Of course you've heard the old cliche of the sports casters who refer to a game as "Game of the Century" for this week. Sportswriters are prone to hyperbole.

I don't quite think that inventing a neighborhood tournament, winning it, etc. is quite the same as winning the national (or continental) championsnip. If anything, the so-called world championships, like in baseball, are more like a continental club championship, as in the North American continent.

BTW, you're typically a pretty reasonable poster.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 2, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

People bashing Semin, Green and even Ovechkin sometimes (lately even Backstrom) simply do not have any common sense. They do not understand that you can't make skilled plays that win games without the risk of making a mistake.

Yeah, our skilled guys make mistakes because they take chances. So what? That's what they're supposed to do.

What would you like them to do? Skate in straight lines and play dump and chase hockey like our Bradley or Laing? That's what Hanlon made us do and we remember how well that worked. Boudreau has made us into a great team precisely because he allows our skilled players to take chances and make skilled plays. He uses our players' strengths instead of trying to fit them into some low risk, rigid system that's designed to avoid mistakes.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather watch the current Capitals team under Boudreau than the boring, low scoring disaster that we were under Hanlon.

BTW, speaking of Hanlon. He just got canned from his KHL gig with Dinamo Minsk.

Posted by: ranndino | November 2, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

@ranndino

Yes, I've seen so many idiotic comments lately, also.

I keep telling myself, what will this team do when they finally get their act together?

I just hope Ovi's okay. My guess is that he'll be out Wednesday vs NJ and back for the weekend but that's my purely uneducated guess.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 2, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

@ranndino

I noticed the news of Hanlon being canned. For all the people who complain about Boudreau, I keep pointing out how the team was under Hanlon. In a word -- sucky.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 2, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

Thanks. I think so too and we pretty much agree :) Calling American sports leagues finals World Champions and its winners world champions is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Unlike most Americans I just don't buy it and think it's stupid.

My analogy is a bit exaggerated, but not that much. The champion of the NFL can technically be called a world champion, but that's only because no one else in the world plays the sport. That's what I meant.

Sports like hockey and basketball (I'm mentioning these 2 because they're the only ones that are both international and have high level North American pro leagues) actually have proper world championships.

Thankfully, no one calls the MLS champion World Champions. That's because it would be laughable. Somehow that makes sense for other North American pro leagues though.

Another example. As much as the English Premier League always boasts about being the best soccer league in the world no one in their right mind has attempted to call its champion a world champion yet.

BTW, I like to annoy all my American friends by calling the World Series the Domestic Series. It works every time.

Posted by: ranndino | November 2, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

Yeah, I agree. I don't think Ovie will miss too much time. It didn't look that bad although sometimes those are the worst. Ovie is one tough customer though. He's only missed 4 games due to injury in his entire NHL career so far which is mind boggling, especially considering the rough and tumble style he plays.

On that note, good night. Really time for me to hit the hay.

Posted by: ranndino | November 2, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

@ranndino

I haven't heard too much Backstrom bashing. Admittedly, he's been "off" lately since he's ill.

I've heard lots of Green bashing and numerous calls to trade him and even people who say that last year was his peak. Give me a break, he's only 24.

As for Semin, the bashing of him is beyond ridiculous and not just by the posters on this blog. If Semin had taken the same penalties that Knuble had taken tonight, I hate to think about what I'd be reading. (Semin does have his share of defenders here, besides me.) He actually got cross checked near the end of Friday's game, was in pain, and was luckily okay.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 2, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

@ ranndino

So where are you from? And is your name Randy?

Your posting name sounds Italian. Or are you something else?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 2, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

1st time, long time...

how come no one has questioned BB's decision to start three or more tonight over varly?

theo 3-2-4
varly 5-0-0

how many chances are we going to give this guy before we give varly a serious look? i mean, the lowly islanders took out the caps earlier in the week - and theo's reward? another start tonight?!?!

i dont get it...

Posted by: RAJSTAR | November 2, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

I was expecting Varly to start tonight, too.

Posted by: dfe1 | November 2, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Randino

"Just wanna put the river of RANDINO into perspective before I hit the sack."

I have a suggestion. Go to nhl.com. click on the highlight video for the game tonight. watch the first columbus goal. Note how Green just couldn't control his man and got TOOK like a fool.

Watch the last two goals and watch Poti getting straight up punked.

Why don't you drop your jewels of wisdom on us, please put those failures in perspective for us. Why is it ok that they consistently play sorry defense? They SUCK.

Enlighten us. Randy.

Posted by: large23220 | November 2, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

So I don't mind Pothier as I feel he still has that offensive upside. Him and Green are our puck moving D. We just need to get rid of guys like Poti who lay down on a penalty kill and let Nash walk around them in order to make a pass and end the game

Posted by: UMWHockey | November 2, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

On that note, good night. Really time for me to hit the hay.

---------------------

I think you mean 2 games. 2 of those were because his grandpa was sick and he went to Russia.

Posted by: Raber | November 2, 2009 2:04 AM | Report abuse

A couple of bad breaks (the bad bounce off the boards, Theo's stick getting knocked out) and some undisciplined play (I'm looking at you, Knubs) are what lead to this loss. Not to mention a little suspect officiating although that went both ways. A bitter loss nonetheless, but blaming it all on the D is ridiculous.

Posted by: snakegriffin | November 2, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Tominfl1: did you finish the wine before the OT? Maybe you needed to save some for the end of the game!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 2, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

dccitizen1,

Not sure about Tominfl1 because he usually has intelligent posts but there are many on here who are obviously drunk or just plain stupid when they post here.....geez!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 2, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why all the fuss. We are in the kindergarten division. If we can't win this thing by 30 points then that's a fail for us. That's a 1-2-3 seed RIGHT NOW. The Atlantic could possibly have all 5 teams in the PO's. They will beat each other up while we can sit and eat cupcakes all year.

Posted by: IamThehockeyGod | November 2, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

@RAJSTAR - You're not looking at the whole perspective.

Until last night, Theodore's save percentage was superb. He's been playing VERY well this season. Even after last night, it's still at a .907 to Varlamov's .895. Remember that last year, Theodore's save percentage was below what Varlamov's is at now.

Look at goals against. Theodore has let in 26. Five of those were last night, and even after that, his GAA is still 2.92. Varlamov's is 3.20.

So can the "three-or-more" crap. I don't want to hear it.

Posted by: irockthered | November 2, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

@large23220 - It was not just our defense last night. The officiating was horrendous. They missed a trip (the one that resulted in trainers being called out to disentangle two players), a cross-check into the net, a HUGE interference call... and those are only three obvious ones. There were weak calls made against the Caps, too. How do you interfere with someone when you don't touch them?

If the game had been called fair and square, and we still lost, that's hockey, but the Blue Jackets had a sixth man on the ice in zebra stripes last night.

Did we make mistakes? Yes.

Was that the whole problem? No.

Was the injury to Ovechkin a factor? Yes. They took out the guy with some of the highest time on ice we have. Of course it was a factor.

Was four games in six days a factor? Yes.

Did we still get a point for the ninth game in a row, our best in years? Yes.

Are there 82 games in this season, or just 12? YES.

We have things going well for us. Brooks Laich really stepped up to the line last night.

One of those goals, Theo's STICK got caught. D'oh! Not really his fault. Yeah, one of them was a bad hop off the boards that caught him out behind the net. Laws of physics and all. Oops!

Dookie. Happens.

And we have a few days to breathe now. So hopefully, Backstrom will feel better, and Green will get whatever's ailing him under control - you did know they were both game time decisions, right? So neither was playing at 100%. Factor? Yes.

Posted by: irockthered | November 2, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Actually, despite the 5-4 score, I thought both goaltenders played very well.

Also, as much as I didn't want to see it, I think it's hard to blame Green for that Nash goal. Nash is a stud - he's going to make that play against most defensemen in the league.

A loss, but a point in the standings and a heck of a game to boot.

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 2, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

hey guys, check out this major screwup on espn.com. when you sort the NHL standings by conference, it shows the caps are second, two points behind the pens. that can't be correct, can it?? not possible...as far as i can tell from folks on these boards, the caps stink. i'm going to send an email to pierre lebrun to have this investigated. also says we haven't lost in regulation in our last 9 games....dont they have any quality control in bristol??

Eastern Conference
GP W L OTL PTS GF GA
1 Pittsburgh 14 11 3 0 22 48 31
2 Washington 14 8 2 4 20 52 44
3 Buffalo 11 8 2 1 17 33 24

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 2, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Lets start the week off right:

1.) Semin ought to be considered for a trade - to get something of value, you must give something of value.

2.) As we all complain about stupid penalties, lack of discipline, 3rd period melt downs etc., shouldn't the Coach and staff be held accountable for this? As mentioned in the above TEB post, its been 2 years of stupid penalties and this year we are adding in piss-poor 3rd period effort.

Lets look at this intelligently and start assessing blame where its due. The players are at fault but the problems are not being fixed.

The real Jeets

let the lambasting begin...

Posted by: jeets | November 2, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Where did the posters go who had some hockey knowledge? I sort of quit posting here a while ago and now I see most of the old posters have left as well. Where does one go for intelligent comments these days? Interesting how the NHL is trying to spin Ovie's injury, don't you think?

Posted by: majiksea | November 2, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

There is no problem with the offense for the past 3 years, the problem still remains on the defense. Forget about officiating, if the defensemen can not do their jobs, then they must be scrutinized. Especially when the top money of the defense are going to "finesse" defensemen like Poti and Pothier. I would take a bunch of physical, underpaid, young, hardworking and hungry D-men from Hershey who will never score a point but will deliver and finish punishing checks than any of the D-men the Caps have now. I would still keep Green for his unique game. Lastly, until we get a "goon" type of player again, expect more of Chimera-type of hits against Ovechkin and company.

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 2, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

@majiksea: Don Cherry will be praising OV's injury, saying he had it coming. Just you wait...

Posted by: snakegriffin | November 2, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Brad Lidge sucks more... he just hand-delivered the yanks another championship

Posted by: joek443

Lidge has been horrible this year. But what's up with the Wash. Post and their front page story about Philly teams and their fans? I can't wait for the Yankees to win the world series and celebrate in front of the Phillie fans. =) I HATE Philadelphia!!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 2, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

jeets,

- semin only gets traded if the team can't come to an agreement on a new deal. i dont see them letting him get to RFA status on july 1. besides, who are they going to trade him for? nobody is going to part with the type of dman we would be looking for in return. keep in mind we can't take on any more salary this year until nyls is dealt with.

- everyone should be accountable. but really, when a vet like knuble does something like that (twice), its pretty much on him in my opinion. i'm sure BB is addressing it. and i think you've seen guys like semin be much more responsible with their sticks and hasnt taken any stupid penalties recently that i can recall.

i'm more concerned about a vet like poti who thinks it would be a better idea to make a snow angel than man up on nash in OT. no need to try and block a shot from up close like that. just get down on a knee and hold your stick on the ice if you want to try and prevent a pass. let the goalie do his job.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 2, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

The Defensive lapses are discouraging. With our offense, even an above average defense would make this team unstoppable.

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 2, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

There were definitely more than 10 players in that fracas. Columbus had 7 skaters on the ice!

Posted by: decoy13 | November 2, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

@JohnWWW - And when Poti and Pothier were signed, they were good moves.

You have got to know that the coach changed in the interim.

Hell, we had a coaching change OVER THE SUMMER. Or did y'all fail to notice that too?

@dcsportsfan1 - Naah, that can't be right! We can't be in second place in the conference! We have to win EVERYTHING! The team will have failed unless we have a perfect season from here on out and we don't win the Stanley Cup in 10 games or less! (And I know that's impossible!)

Oh yeah - and not only are we in second place in the conference, we're ONE point out of third place in the whole league (behind San Jose). And two points out of first place in the whole league (behind Colorado and Pittsburgh). AND we've played one fewer game than San Jose and Colorado, too, so if we win our next one, we could move up!

That can't possibly be right, the way people on here talk!

Posted by: irockthered | November 2, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1 - Personally, I think if Semin is not signed by the Caps at the end of this year, he will go back to Russia and play in the KHL. I don't think he's entirely comfortable in the States. Not like Ovechkin is, at any rate... and I'd be OK with it, if Semin did choose that path.

Posted by: irockthered | November 2, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

dcsporstfan

Snow angel - thats good.

I understand on the salary issue but Semin is PRIME trade bait because you'll have to pay him soon enough. And if he continues to take games off, I would rather see him on Dallas - or any western conf. team and receive a solid respected d-man in return. People gush about Semins abilities...lets market that and get some return.

Posted by: jeets | November 2, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Oh - and they can't possibly be right about the records of the top three in the NHL, either. Colorado CAN'T have lost two in a row, and Pittsburgh can't have lost one, either. That just doesn't seem right, since they're so much better than the Caps are! </sarcasm>!

GET A GRIP, PEOPLE! JAYSUS!

Posted by: irockthered | November 2, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

First off, Nash' goal. Green looked really bad. His timing on his clockwise pivot was undignified of an NHL defensemen (his tender knee is the left one so, he doesn't even have that excuse). His defensive game is so bad that, when he is not scoring, he looks like an AHLer. Why does he get so much ice time? In two years from now, Carlson will be our no. 1 defensemen; much more complete player imo.
Secondly, I find that Knuble has been, for the most part, underperforming this season. 3 goals?? Isn't this guy suppose to be a 30 goals scorers? By contrast, BMo's work has been quite "honest".
Poti... just loooking at the OT goal will tell you everything you need to know about him.
Kudos to Fleischman and Laich (who should be the real captain) for picking up the slack in big ways. Fleischman has much more energy than last year, faster, more aggressive... will get to 25-30 goals if he doesn't miss other games.
My last two comments are that the Woods experiment is, so far, a failure. The team has not improved in their zone, from last year. I understand that BB likes to reward loyalty but Woods came from a very similar all-out system and there may not be enough push backs of ideas on the Caps coaching team. I am sure that GMGM and BB could have found much better if they had searched.
Lastly, OV's injury... it takes a lot to sit him down. The guy is on a mission... I suspect that his injury is more serious than we are lead to believe. When he came off, his left shoulder was held somewhat lower than his right, in a precautionary position. I would not be surprised if he got a dislocation...if the shoulder popped back in on his own, he may not have realized what occurred. It could also be an AC separation, which, for a hockey player, is a pretty bad injury if the separation is moderate to severe. Let's just hope that I am wrong and the Big8 can be right back in. I want to see him score 50 in 50. To do so, he can't miss more than 2-3 games.

Posted by: atybat | November 2, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

@atybat - Did you watch the replay of the fall? I wasn't completely sure if it was shoulders or rib cage that was the problem, based on where he was hit, how the hit looked, and what happened when he hit the ice. Either way, I hope it isn't seriously bad. And if it is a bad injury, I hope they tie him down to make sure he doesn't come back too soon and make it worse!

I do not see the Woods experiment as a failure. It hasn't had enough TIME to be ruled success or failure yet, and calling it either way is premature.

Posted by: irockthered | November 2, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

no morning coffee post? I was hoping the Ovechking mug might be a collectible "with sling" edition.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 2, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

@decoy13 - This is part of what I was saying about the officiating.

70.6 Game Misconduct Penalty – A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on the player or goalkeeper who was the first or second player to leave the players’ or penalty bench during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation, from either or both teams.

If anyone on the Blue Jackets' team actually left the bench - and I couldn't tell from where I was sitting if they did, or if they just stayed on the bench and attacked from there - they should have gotten that.

Greg Kimmerly and Mike Leggo are on my short list now, of officials to watch out for.

Posted by: irockthered | November 2, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I glad to see at least one Cap wrap up these loses correctly.

"We have to be better disciplined as a close [team] and learn how to control the lead if we want to win hockey games," Laich said. "If we want to be an elite team, that has to happen. We've given away too many points this year."

Posted by: puckman | November 2, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

jeets, semin could be prime trade bait, but its tricky cause he's an RFA w/ the KHL looming. he finally seems comfortable here in dc. imaginee what he'd do if he's traded to minnesota or phoenix, etc. if i'm a gm of another team, that would concern me.

i dont think he's taken any games off recently. he's been very active lately. he just tries too hard to be fancy instead of doing bread and butter stuff. ovie has made similar mistakes.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 2, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered
My point is that I think that he was hurt already. The fall may have jarred him a bit but it was very mild. That is why I am thinking of a dislocation (gleno-humeral joint) with the shoulder having popped back in, on a previous play. If that is the case, worst thing could be a labrum tear. That, my friend, requires a heck of a long recovery.
Ovie is a warrior and he knows which statistics he is going after. He would have refused to be pulled out, unless he had a functional problem such as not being able to close his hands, hold his stick properly, etc...

Posted by: atybat | November 2, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

atybat - Isn't that the same injury Nylander had?

Posted by: puckman | November 2, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

dccitizen1: There was wine left. I was pacing myself for the end. After the game, I poured out the little bit left in the glass.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 2, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Anyone hear whether Nylander is back in town yet since his 2 week "conditioning" stint is done at Grand Rapids. The rumor mill on him leaving the Caps has been non-existent.

Posted by: puckman | November 2, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

@dcsportsfan1

I'm with you on Poti. He was also caught way out of position when the Columbus player was all alone in front of the net for the layup goal. I don't think he should be out on the PK because more often than not, he just screens our goalie and doesn't get the opposing player out of the crease, and in some cases, doesn't even bother covering that player.

Ultimately, assuming Nylander is unmovable, I think the Caps should trade Poti. Trading away his $3.5 mil for this season and next would give the team some cap space. The Caps can then put Sloan in the lineup and I don't think it would be much of a downgrade, or they could call up Alzner or Carlson if they wanted.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I think Chris Clark should have more of a chance to prove his game is on. He was a 30 goal scorer before his injuries.he plays less minutes than anyone and gets the fewest chances on the PP than anyone. Whats up?

Posted by: jsandes | November 2, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@atybat - That's entirely possible; I don't think it happened during the scrum, though. You don't get your shoulder pulled out of its socket by punching someone in the face. :-p

With an awkward fall (from personal experience) the acromio-clavicular separation is more likely than the gleno-humeral dislocation. The mechanics of the direction of the fall, plus whatever laws of physics apply at that point... but an a/c separation is highly painful and can be as debilitating as a full dislocated shoulder can be.

In the replay, I saw a hit to his side. His legs straightened, and he toppled like a felled tree, landing awkwardly. A fall on an outstretched hand (as appeared to be the case) is one of the most common causes of the a/c separation.

Posted by: irockthered | November 2, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@puckman
No, Nyls had a rupture rotator cuff which required surgery. I would be surprised if that is the nature of Ovie's injury. He just would not hold his arm that way.
Nyls is back in town but I am not sure he has been seen around the team, yet.
Chris Clark? Nah, he is done.

Posted by: atybat | November 2, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered
Not to be disagreeable but a fall on the outstretched hand more likely leads to a shoulder dislocation; a fall on the shoulder, leads more likely to the AC joint separation as the shoulder rotate slightly inwards, the acromion pushes the clavicle upwards. Ovie is a big guys, if he fell the wrong way, that is quite some pressure upwards...pure speculation here.

Posted by: atybat | November 2, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

@ atybat: What statistics are you referencing? A Stanley Cup champion I hope. Who cares about 80 goals if it comes with a knockout by the Pens again?

Posted by: IamThehockeyGod | November 2, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered - So can the "three-or-more" crap. I don't want to hear it.

please save the "whole perspective" crap.
lord stanley's cup is determined by wins and losses, not save percentage and goals against average.
regardless of numbers, you have to get wins, and with this team, you should be better than a .500 goalie.
stay positive on theo for as long as you want. spin the numbers however you'd like. but you cant "spin" 5-0-0 vs 3-2-4.

Posted by: RAJSTAR | November 3, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse