Bond for Steroid Dealer Set at $425,000 (Updated)

The latest from Amy Shipley:

Richard Thomas, the steroid dealer who claimed to police he had clients on the Washington Capitals and Nationals, remained in custody Thursday after his bond was set at $425,000. Thomas has been charged with 21 counts of illegal possession of steroids and firearms and maintaining a dwelling for drug use, a spokesperson at the Polk County Sheriff's Office said.

Thomas has not provided the name of an attorney nor been assigned a public defender.

Update: Thomas's wife, Sandra, who also was arrested when detectives raided their home and found $200,000 worth of steroids Tuesday night, was released on $215,000 bond. Detectives seized documents from Thomas's home in Lakeland, Fla., and the case remains under investigation.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 28, 2009; 3:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonsis: 'I Was Horrified'
Next: Morning Reading List: Boudreau Is 'Adorable'

Comments

richmondphil:l. Our guys have shown us that they are capable of playing solid defense

I have to disagree yet again with you here. Our Lack of D has been our weak point all year. Hence the reason most of the games we won were won by a one or two point margin. I dont want to kill Varly with our lack of D and I def. want someone who will put people like the aforementioned Crosby on his keaster for getting to close to our crease.

Im sorry man, Its the same in Hockey, D wins Championships and ours isn't that quality.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | May 28, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see what the Caps could've done with the equivalent of three first overall picks in five years like the Pens got. If you can't make it to the cup (or win a cup) with the caliber of players like Crosby, Malkin, and the Flower, then it truly should be viewed upon as a failure. The Pens have been set-up to win a cup this year, and with all the injuries to Detroit's big name guys, I fear this could be the Pens year.

But seriously, how can you not be this competitive with three first overall picks in five years. Let us all hope it's the Wings again, cause I don't know if I'll be able to watch Crosby and that weak stache of his having a date with Lord Stanley. I hate the Wings, but I hate the Pens more.

Posted by: reesem37 | May 28, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | May 28, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

reesem37-

It's ok guys!! This is exactly (ok not exactly, because otherwise we would be there instead, but exactly post 2nd round) the set up I wanted. We have our Pens playoff curse and I can't wait until two years in a row solidifies the Red Wing curse on the Pens. Can you imagine losing TWICE IN A ROW in the FINALS to the SAME TEAM! That's what I call soul crushing. Way better revenge in the long haul.

To help all this I will partake in good ol voodoo dolls and sweet talking satan into switching teams to root for. I can be very persuasive, and will offer up all of your souls as payment. Hope that's ok!

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Detroit was resting their injured guys because they knew they could get past the Blackhawks without them. The Wings also know that the Penguins had to fight hard to make it past a very injured Caps team, and the Wings are better than the Caps. I think the Wings will surprise people who are expecting a Penguins dynasty coronation party. The Wings like their dynasty and have no intentions of giving it up any time soon.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I just can't believe John-boy would sell steroids to the Caps.

Posted by: uncatim | May 28, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

uncatim-

lol, nice catch.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

picking up from the last thread and the discussion of Backstrom -

I think Semin gets a bad rap on these boards. I am a humongous Ovi fan -- #8 is definitely my favorite player ... ever. But some nights Semin is the best player on the ice by far. What I'm saying is: Semin's talent is phenomenal. The ceiling is higher for Semin than anyone in the NHL, IMO. On the other hand he has played somewhat inconsistently but, why would you let that potential out of your grasp?

Posted by: ralph4100 | May 28, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

They'll now be going through the web pages and CI to find the best players to pin this on.

The chump factor of these two is extremely high.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 28, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

any truth to the rumor that Brashear and Jurcina posted bond?

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 28, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@-

Posted by: mrszilla | May 28, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Losing to a better team twice is not a curse.

Losing to the same franchise over a period of 20 years, with different casts of characters, after having 2 games series leads multiple times, in multiple overtimes, in new painful ways is a CURSE.

Face it losers. You lost to a better Penguins team, led by a better player than your precious CHOKEvechkin.

Accept reality and you'll be able to move on past the bitterness with your lives

Posted by: puckheaded1 | May 28, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

The Pens are a more mentally tough team and thats why they won. You never saw any significant dropoff in their play at all. The Caps on the other hand either looked pretty good or pretty bad all series long. In spite of that we still lost in 7 games thanks to great goaltending in the first two.

I have no doubt in my mind that if our skill players had matched the work ethic of the Penguins top players (most notably their top two lines), that we would have won the series. It came down to two things:

1-- the pens top two lines outplayed our top two lines
2-- our D was unwilling to clear the crease on a consistent basis.

Our checking forwards were better than their checking forwards, thats the only clearcut victory we had.

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 28, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Just as you have obviously already accepted that the Red Wings are, in your words, "a better team," and losing this year's series is all but a foregone conclusion, puckhead?

Posted by: Baildog | May 28, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh puckheaded1. Could you honestly be taking credit for whatever victories your sorry hockey team has had? Really? Last I checked, you weren't invited to any of their victory parties so quit pretending you had anything to do with their victories. Get a life, man. I feel sorry for you that you have nothing else to give meaning to your life other than reminding us that we gained ground in our quest to be a force to be reckoned with for the Stanley Cup. It wasn't this year but I assure you, we have time on our side. As for you? Well, keep living in your fantasy world. After the Cup is said and done, you'll still be the sad little person that you are.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 28, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

"sweet talking satan into switching teams to root for"

Satan plays for the Penguins. I don't think you'll be able to get him to switch teams. Glad the Red Wings won last night. It would have been a week until the finals started otherwise.

Posted by: larryn703 | May 28, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't give the Penguins much of a chance. The top western conference teams are too well put together this year. Detroit, Anaheim, Chicago, San Jose, even Vancouver, are all more complete than anyone in the East. Boston was the most solid overall but they got really inconsistent for the last month of the season and it carried into the playoffs. The Penguins have 1-2 good forward lines depending on how Malkin plays, okay defense but not great, and pretty good goalkeeping. All 4 of Detroit's forward lines are very solid, can play good defense, and can score. Their defenders are very solid, Osgood has even played really well and goalkeeping was their only potential weakness. Their puck possession game is amazing and they just don't even give other teams a chance to setup and score. Their position and systems game is so solid that you can't get to them with an aggressive forecheck because they don't hold the puck too long and don't panic. I'd like to see the Penguins win but I don't think they can compete with the Wings. I don't think anyone in the East could this year. Even if Datsyuk is still injured.

Posted by: Stu_c | May 28, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

can't wait to watch the Wings school the penguins. AGAIN.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

@leftcoastcapsfan

I feel bad for you LeftCoastCaps Fan. You have nothing to remember from this season - but another choke! GAK

Posted by: puckheaded1 | May 28, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd hardly call what the Caps did this year a choke. Did the Penguins "choke" last year when they lost to the Wings?

So, a little bored between steroid and Russians-returning-to-Russia discussion (and scavenging through Soviet Safeway in preparation for the coming apocalypse, of course). So the Penguins have just under $47 million committed to 14 players for next season. That pointedly does not include one of those guys that turned around their season, one Mr. Bill Guerin, who was making $4.5 million this season. Which got me to thinking. If I'm Guerin, I know the Penguins were DOA until I showed up. I've gotten them to the cup finals. I'm getting a bit old, but its painfully obvious the Penguins don't have anyone else to plays on Crosby's line. Do you ask for, say, $4 million a year? Obviously, the Penguins are, um, up poopy creek with this whole salary cap situation. That puts the Pens at a ghastly $51 million committed to 15 players.

Are the Penguins going to have to part ways with Guerin and hope that they can pull off another "wingers by committee" again? Will they commit to Guerin, hamstringing themselves? And why the heck can't this club, that has 3 elite young centers, find decent wingers that can play a complete season with them?

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

ok, people, where are you? Watching the Spelling Bee? Reading Stienz blogging about the Spelling Bee? Raiding Soviet Safeway for milk, eggs, beer, and duct tape?

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

RedBird

Everyone knows that Sidney Crosby doesnt care about the regular season...just squeak him in as an 8-seed and watch him roll...

Posted by: SA-Town | May 28, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie: I would say Guerin based on regular season is due, for next year, in the range of what we thought Fedorov was worth: $2.0-2.5M.

I didn't look up his stats but I seem to recall from memory 16 goals and like 40 pts - hardly in the $4M range, especially with the economy and its effect on the cap.

Guerin is an old man. Hard for me to say, as I could be his much-older brother.

I can tell you this: I look way younger putting together cost estimates than Fedorov looked playing hockey.

I would love to have Guerin on the Caps next year, but I can't see giving him even what Kozzie made. He was a perfect example of "skate around for the regular season then rachet it up when we grow the beards."

Pick him up for a 3rd rounder next March 1st.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 28, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town, he's still needs wingers :) and two years in a row now, the Pens have had to make these deadline day trades so they can compete in the post-season. At some point, the odds simply say they'll pick up someone who doesn't "click" and then the Penguins will look like they've been eaten by leopard seals.

Gueirn had 21 goals and 48 points this season. 7 & 14 thus far in the playoffs.

Anyways, even at $2.5 mil, that still sticks the Pens at just under $49.5 million committed to 15 players.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Most sensible Pens fans know they squeaked by us. This is your same old Caps team. Crosby got a lot of credit above and beyond the norm for them coming out on top in the series, and to a point it's deserved. Don't forget which player put up the most points in the series with 14 and was the only one to record a point in every single game of the series.

I'll buy the fact they have more experience and were more mentally tough than we were. It was a bad, weird Game 7. It happens. The end result is all the matters to most people, so the credit will go to Sid and the Pens. Rightfully so to a point. Just don't forget 2 OT wins with fortunate bounces off our own guys, or the fear you had every time Ovie had the puck.

I hate the Wings, and I wouldn't mind seeing Gonch win a Cup. I'd rather not see Crosby hoist a Cup before Ovie but they are more built to win right now. Their D is also vastly better. This might be their best chance to win soon with the Wings as banged up as they are. You could almost say the pressure is on Pitt at this point...I think many people are expecting them to take the next step this year. Better take advantage of it, next year the bounces, the calls (not as bad as some made it out to be...but definitely some raw spots), and the series might not go your way. Good luck in the Finals. I really hate Detroit.

This steroid story is out of left field. I love the NHL's response basically saying "yeah, we tested them all the max of 3 times unannounced last year, tell us another one." I'm not worried about Feds and Kozlov leaving in the slightest. Might miss their locker room presence but going forward I think we have much better and cheaper options. There were big portions of the playoffs when Ovie was being handicapped getting zero help from those 2.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 28, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

you hate the Wings more than you hate the Pens?

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 28, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, we had some good discussion here today on 2nd line centers and such. I thought I would repost the excel spreadsheet I did this morning on the cap for 2009-10. What I did was I put the requisite 23 players (OK, a team can choose to only have 22) from the current roster, what I thought was the most likely 23, if no additions were made, and where we would be relative to the cap, with assumption that cap next year is same as this year.

The only "trade" assume is the club fails to bring back Morrisonn. Given that, you have roughly $3.3M to play with. Many want a 2nd line center and some here have proposed Cammelleri:

Well, if you move Gordon off and get Cammelleri for about $4M, it works but you are CAPPED OUT. Similarly, instead, if blueliners are your preference, you can trade Jurcina and sign Komisarek for $4.5M and you would also be CAPPED OUT.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, cat and dogs, there ain't a whole lotta room to work with. In a perfect world, you could move Nylander for a 5th round pick (odds are so slim, even Mister Spock couldn't calculate them) or move Theo for a 2nd rounder and sign Johnny for a huge cap savings (Mister Spock says: "Captain, even the Klingons don't want Theo"). The world ain't perfect though; consequently, feel free to subtract anyone from my list and add who you want - under the proviso that your trade scenario must fit under the cap.

Your Numbers Guy in Orlando,

S/T 2 Goalies 5.350
Total 23 Players 53.861
Cap Space (Est) 57.400
Available 3.539

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 28, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie:

Yes, I was remembering the Guerin statistics from WHEN he was traded.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 28, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Unlike some people on this blog, I don't hate the Wings more than the Pens. I just can't get psyched up to hate anyone in the Western Conference that much since the Caps rarely play them. (Okay, the Caps did lose the Stanley Cup to the Wing a long time ago.) Still, they're in the Western Conference. (Just like I can't get psyched up to hate any football team in the AFC -- they aren't the Skins' rivals. In baseball, my favorite teams are in different leagues so I have hatred there too.)

My passions

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 28, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for the Wings against the Pens. I do have some guys I like on the Wings, like the injured Pavster. Come back, Pasha.

I'd root for ANY NHL team against the Pens. They're a good team and all that, but I still can't stand them.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 28, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@ralph4100

I agree with you. Semin definitely gets a bad rap on this board (and other boards). I must admit that Semin is a sentimental favorite of mine since he reminds me of my first born child (who's a year younger). My faves are Ovi and Semin who I like in different ways. It seems that the only way Semin could please everyone is to have a Hart Trophy/MVP year.

Okay, Backstrom probably has talents more complimentary to Ovi for Ovi's line. Still, we need Semin to provide scoring that's not done by Ovi. The team seems to be an epic fail when either Ovi, Semin, or Green is having problems, especially if it's 2 out of 3 of them.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 28, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Live Scores, live scores, live odds comparison,match data, live tv in sports
Totally free and live online, live scores&odds on your side

Posted by: suewin123 | May 28, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1 bringing in the facts.

Great job with that. We can say this team is set up great for the cap, but the fact is it will be tough to make a big splash as these numbers suggest. Think about Backs and Sasha coming off their contracts next year as well... Life with a cap is tough...

Posted by: hardyboys0 | May 29, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

hey bandwagon hockey fans -

Playoffs 101. A choke is when you have a series lead on a team and still blow the series. i.e.: up 3-1 or 2-0. (See Caps 2009, Caps 1992, Caps 1995, Caps 1996)

GAKK

Posted by: puckheaded1 | May 29, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

puckheaded1,

Losing a series 4-3 after being up 2-0 is not a choke. Both teams held serve in the first four games which happens all the time in sports. Calling it a choke is a real reach. The Penguins have a better defense right now and that is why they won. Saying the Caps lost because of Ovechkin is like saying the Cavaliers are losing because of Lebron James. It is pure idiocy. You accuse some on this blog of being a homer yet you're just as bad if not worse.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 29, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

If the Wings are truly that much better than the Pens, just what does that lowly Washington Capitals? It says that Capitals are also rans, who couldn't even get out of the second round.

And by the way, Zetterberg-Crosby is everything that Crosby-Overated wasn't. Further evidence that Ovechkin is a one-trick pony.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | June 1, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse