Preparing for the Boston Bruins

Tim Thomas, Boston BruinsBoston goalie Tim Thomas makes a save against the Devils. (Andy Marlin/Getty Images)

Boston heads into tonight's game against the Capitals having acknowledged how well it needs to play in order to extend its two-game winning streak. Washington should provide a strong test early on for the Bruins, who look to maintain momentum in what is only their second game back in North America after kicking off the year in Prague.

Perhaps that's why the Bruins are opting for Tim Thomas in a third straight game tonight. Thomas has allowed just one goal in the past two contests, and helped keep the Bruins en route to a 4-1 win over New Jersey when Boston struggled to find its rhythm early.

"Thomas is a little more aggressive in net; he likes to come out and challenge the shooters," Capitals forward Eric Fehr said. "Overall, they're tough to play against. They take away the middle of the ice and they sit back and make you come at them. It makes it tough, but for a team like us, our big forwards just have to try to get the puck low and work from there."

Just two seasons removed from finishing as the Presidents' Trophy winner themselves, The Bruins started this year looking for more offense to complement their already-stingy defense, and they're off to a good start.

Contributing to that surge is Nathan Horton, who went to Boston as part of a trade that sent Dennis Wideman to Florida last June. He already has three goals, five points and appears to be boosting first-line partners Milan Lucic and David Krejci -- they've all tallied at least a point in each of the Bruins' three games this season. Michael Ryder has added a point per game as well.

Here are some other notes to keep in mind as the Capitals take on the Bruins tonight:

--Washington wants to get off to a fast start, for all the reasons discussed in today's hard-copy story.

"Getting off to a good start seems to be big for us to play a full 60 minutes," Fehr said. "We're getting off to slow starts and once we get our legs we're fine, but we've got to find them quicker."

--The Capitals are 6-0-2 against the Bruins over the past two seasons and have not lost to Boston in regulation since January of 2006.

--If Michal Neuvirth plays a complete game tonight, he will become the first goaltender in Capitals history to play every minute throughout the first six games of a season. He has also tied the team's home winning streak with 10 straight victories at Verizon Center. Olie Kolzig also performed the feat in 2000-01.

Neuvirth is 11-2-0 with a .930 save percentage and 2.12 goals against average when playing in the Phonebooth.

--Bruins forward Marc Savard passed an exertion test and will continue to get back into playing shape. It's the just one of many evaluations that will determine when Savard, who is still suffering from post-concussion syndrome symptoms, can return from long-term injured reserve.

By Katie Carrera  | October 19, 2010; 1:57 PM ET
Categories:  Boston Bruins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michal Neuvirth to start against the Bruins
Next: Tonight's lineup: Bruins at Caps

Comments

you guys are so hypocritical...

I said last year when they signed Sloan for a 2 year deal that it was a waste of money...and I got HAMMERED by everyone saying it was a smart signing...

NOW, you all believe me that he is not worth a spot in the NHL much less on this team...

I'm happy about the Neuvirth start...keep him going...he's only going to get better.

Also, keep Green out...no use playing him until he is completely healthy. Yes, we need him...but it's early..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | October 19, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

sloan is a #7d and the 14th forward - all for $700k. he is what he is and is serviceable for those roles. he will be the healthy scratch most nights. right now they need him - it's not like have a #1d to use when somebody gets hurt for a few games. a cheap insurance policy. so - no, not all believe you now

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 19, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't it Matt Cooke that put Savard out with that blind side elbow to the head? Savard is still recovering and that jackhole did not even get suspended if memory serves me correctly.

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Kirk...

We have tons of 7th "D" and 14th "F" down in Hershey that are cheaper...after all, that IS what a Farm System is...

700K is a lot of money...heck of a lot more than I make in 7 years...

And yes, I am definately jealous. Must be nice to travel with the Caps stay in 5 star hotels and free tix to every caps game...I would do that for free!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | October 19, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Phil...yes...better yet I am not even sure he got more than a minor penalty...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | October 19, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile all Ovechkin has to do is look at a player wrong and he is suspended by Campbell.......what is wrong with this picture??!!

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I'm also all in for acquiring Brad Richards in February and have been for a while.

Dallas will need to lose some for that to happen. They don't have to be completely out of the playoff picture at that point, but at least 6 points. Hopefully around 11th or worse in the conference.

Dealing Flash, a top prospect(maybe Holtby or Eakin) and a 1st round pick would be worth it. It will take a lot, so the prospect given up will have to be a very good one. While no one wants to give up Eakin, it may be what's necessary to acquire Brad Richards.

Richards would be a pretty awesome #2 center.

That and a solid defenseman (second pairing quality). Yes, a top pairing defenseman would be great to get, but I'm trying to be somewhat realisitic.

The size of Richards' contract will prevent many suitors from trying to acquire him.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 19, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

SoaringCaps
but one of each costs at least $500k or $1m - you get both for $700k. he doesn't cause any troubles - he knows his role. if anyone in the system was that much better than him - they would be here instead - but they aren't because they really wouldn't make the team any better than sloan does when he plays

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 19, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@SoaringCaps

Yes, $700k is too much for Sloan. He is a $500K to $550k guy. A 14th forward/8th defensman. The quintessential 23rd man on the roster.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 19, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

What's his contract terms?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 19, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

For Richards...I would deal Perrault, Varly AND Flash...

Wow, Brad Richards is a stud...many felt he was better than Lecavlier...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | October 19, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Did you people vote my buddy...

"Chief Hater Extraordinaire" cstanton

...off the island?

WTF?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 19, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI,

This is his last year at about 7 mil but I think there will be more suitors than sgm thinks.

And what is up with the 7:30 start tonight? I have to be at work so early that I really love the 7:05 starts so I can get in bed earlier!

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I know I hate 730 starts...

I think it's because it's on ESPN...oh, I mean hidden on VS...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | October 19, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

SoaringCaps,

I would rather see Varly in the trade package than Holtby as I think Holtby is going to be the best of all of the youngsters they have.

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Man, I hope we can still get the local feed......I hate having to watch Engblom and Jones trash talk the Caps.

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

Richards is a $7.8M cap hit this year and is a pending UFA. So $7.8M prorated is still a decent amount for only a quarter of the season.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 19, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@WTF

Yeah, they skurrred him away. 2 days now. He was the only one constantly posting during the day. If this keeps up, I might actually get work done. (shakes head)

So wait, last year of his contract...that doesnt really mean you can demand too much in return, otherwise you might lose him for nothing. We might not have to give up as much as you think...it will more depend on if Dallas thinks they have a legit chance for the playoffs. I ideally we want them to slump big time and not have a chance of making them. :)

I also dont think Eakin is what we would give up...kid almost made the roster this year. I could cope with losing MP, AG, or a goalie.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 19, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

That second line is playing very well. Why should we trade Flash? He's young, and getting better, like the rest of the team. We have made some nice upgrades. Let's roll with it until the trade deadline, and go from there. Aren't we 5 and 1?

Posted by: coastallp74 | October 19, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

it would take more than MP, AG, and a goalie to get richards....i don't think varly get much value in trades anymore. The trade would pretty much require eakin as part of the trade

Posted by: _stevo | October 19, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@WTF

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 19, 2010 2:43 PM

smh...The man was so unappreciated in his time.

I guess its fitting that he be "skurrred" off. HE SURE DID HIS SHARE OF SKURRRRING!!!

...wut a puss!

(wait for it)

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 19, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

coastallp74,

Did you see the way Flush collapsed last post season? Heck, even his boy BB sat him for game seven.......Flush is fine in the regular season when there is room to skate but when the ice shrinks come playoff time he is unwilling to pay the price to make a play. Plus, he has not been good as 2C so far IMO, that line is three wingers free lancing to me, but once again that is my opinion.

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks everyone for clarification on the Koolaid/Haters thing!

@JohninMpls - the "Haters" are the Lancasters - well said. They wanted to overthrow the King!

And agreed that "dichotomies are stupid". I just like the complexity of the labels arising, very funny.

Buuut, right now, that signing of Neuvirth is looking pretty goood? Right everyone? (Anyone disagree?)

I think a better name than "Haters", because "Kool-aid" is so much more colorful. I can't say "Khmer Rouge" (even though it has a militant edge and the color red) because in poor taste.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 19, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Hello Richards will be a UFA, not an RFA people, it won't cost much to get his rights. If traded thats all your getting and unless your willing to go the same again 5.5m to 7m per year your wasting your time trading to get Richards.

Sure it would be nice but we would be STUPID to give up Cody Eakin or Matty. While SeminAllOverTheIce is right we could live with live with making a trade as he suggests not going to be needed.

Shout out to SECTION 115 !!!!!!!!!

DROP THE PUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | October 19, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

It will cost a lot to get Richards. Dallas won't trade him away for nothing, but more importantly there will be other teams bidding for him which drives up the price.

I think it would cost a current player who is a pending free agent(i.e. Flash) for Dallas' money purposes, a 1st round pick, and a prospect who has first line potential. So AGordon(3rd line potential) and MP(2nd line potential) would not cut it. It would cost Eakin or Orlov(if a defenseman is traded), and Orlov may not be a good enough of a prospect to get Richards.

If you want a top player you have to pay a high price. Remember Burke wanted Varly, Carlson and a 1st round pick for Pronger. That was 2 top prospects and a pick.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 19, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

And if you remember, Burke got no takers! If it takes Eakin to get Richards then I say don't get him. Eakin may be the 2nd line center next year as it is, no way they trade him away for a UFA that they know they can not resign, and if they do it is moronic!

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Is Carlson and Ovie out tonight? Come on, where's the up to date information on this site?

Posted by: BigGameSid | October 19, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

sgm3:
the closer the trade deadline gets his price would go down as dallas could lose him for nothing at all. imo - that would be way too much to pay for a rental that you don't have a chance of signing yourself.

question: if lil gus packed his bags and went home - what should the caps do with his contract slot and the $845k salary he left behind?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 19, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@ PhilR

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone else who see how STUPID it would be

Posted by: bqts | October 19, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I really wish some of you wouldn't even post comments. Cooke didn't get suspended because at the time there was no rule against headshots. However, the league moved quickly to put one in place before the playoffs started. So, I don't believe they just ignored what happened. There were rules for the two plays Ovie got suspended for. Knee on knee hits have been outlawed in the NHL for years, accidental or not, as are hits from behind. Those two suspensions in the long run are going to help Ovechkin not beat his body to death, evident by his play to start this season. As far as the Keith Jones, Brian Engblom crack both guys played for the Caps at one point in there career, and what exactly do they say that constitutes trashing? If you mean the comments that the Caps are a young team that haven't learned how to win in the playoffs, I believe the one win in four playoff series speaks to that. Let me guess, you guys are probably Redskins fans as well and think they are going to the Super Bowl this year.

Posted by: jcreech1 | October 19, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Guess we agree to disagree then. With us banking tons of FA money for last minute high priced players, being in the opposite conference (huge), and the risk of losing him for nothing will force Dallas to take less. Again, I say their playoff/cup potential will determine his trade status/cost.

Flash, pick, and one of the 3 prospects (MP, AG, Holtby) would be a nice package that would be near the top of their offerings list.

P.S. Burke as an example isnt always the best. (see Kaberle trade talks)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 19, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 3:16 PM

Pronger also had a year left on his contract.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 19, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

I agree that what Burke asked for was way too much.

Maybe the Stars wouldn't want Eakin, maybe they would want Kuznetsov instead.

I guess my way of looking at it is that the Caps have Backstrom as their #1 center for a long time. If by the end of January the coaches feel that MJ is the #2 center of the future then it would be okay to entertain ideas of trading Eakin. One of the purposes of building up the farm system is to be able to trade assets. Especially ones that would not have an open position for a while (first two center lines taken).

If by the end of January the coaches have serious doubts to whether MJ can be a 2nd line center in the NHL then I would be more apprehensive in trading Eakin.

Trading a good prospect and a pick for an all-star center to make a great run at the Stanley Cup is something I would be in favor for. The move would have no salary cap ramifications on the Caps and would have basically no ramifications on the Caps in 2011-201(unless Eakin made the team).

I would prefer that move much more than greatly overpaying for a guy in free agency.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 19, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

In regards to Richards it will take a lot to get him. Thats why we should make the offer well before the trade deadline. With $3M in cap space now if you make Flash part of the deal all you have to do is wait till just about the halfway point of the season to make the move.

Flash, a #1 pick and MP would probably get it done. Maybe you send Orlov instead of MP so they get a F and a D in the trade.

Posted by: ThePat | October 19, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Someone else who see how STUPID it would be

Posted by: bqts

Remember Hossa went to the Pens for a 1st round pick and a top prospect among other things. That was a good deal for the Pens as it helped get them to the SC finals. The high prospect ended up failing too while Hossa left after the year as a free agent. Shero is very happy he made that move.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 19, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The Richards discussion is interesting. If a trade is made at the deadline the team has the money to pay the remainder of is salary and then they'd have to look beyond. After this season these UFAs are up:

Semin, Knubs, Flash, Brooks, Brads, Boyd, and Erskine. That's 16.8m in space. We don't know what Semin will decide but I don't think they'll offer Knubs are Erskine money to stay. If Flash goes in the deal and we up Brooks to 3M, Brads and Boyd at 1M each, there would be nearly 12m left is Semin bolts. I think there'd be space in there for a Richards deal.

What say, capologists?

Posted by: saintex | October 19, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I agree. I think trying to make that move at the end of January/beginning of Ferbuary would be the best way to apporach it. However, it does take two sides to make a deal, so Dallas may try to hold out for more.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 19, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@Katie - I would disagree that Horton is "boosting" Lucic and in particular David Krecji; Krecji was terrific all 2nd-half and the Olympics and most knowledgeable B's followers readily acknowledged he was the B's best player in the playoffs, they didn't win a single game once he got hurt [talk about an epic collapse, btw] and were something like 7-2 with him.

Good column, I'm just sayin', is all.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 19, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@saintex

I think the caps will bring back knuble for a one year deal, same money. But it would be interesting to see what they would do

Posted by: _stevo | October 19, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@saintex

I think Boyd Gordon and Bradley could be seeing their last season here in DC. Beagle will be ready, Pinizotto and Andrew Gordon should be ready and they are cheaper. Unless we unload Steckels contract I think Boyd is gone.

And Richards will command around $5.5M over 3 years would be my guess. Probably too rich unless Semin is gone.

Posted by: ThePat | October 19, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that the Stars would want Flash, why trade one UFA for another UFA? I think we should wait until we go a little deeper into the season before we worried about the trade deadline. It is possible to an injury change the whole thought process.

One more comment about Sloan...do all of you really care who fills the last spot on the roster? Sloan will not make or break anything. I can't see him getting time as a forward this year with the forwards on the roster, MP, A. Gordon and others waiting in Hershey.

Posted by: chriscaps | October 19, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Semin will ink, 4 years $6 per (hometown discount). As long as he puts up the same numbers as last year (in fact I bet if we get a legit 2C before mid season, he beats last years numbers). Ergo, SAOTI is saying he is confident Semin resigns and to bank it. :P

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 19, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

When the first Dman called up from Hershey is Fahey, I think GMGM's top priority should be to get a defensemen (or two).

Besides, Richards is still a top 1C. Do you really think he'll resign here to play on the 2nd line?

Posted by: ablake70 | October 19, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"I think Boyd Gordon and Bradley could be seeing their last season here in DC."

I agree.

In addition, I don't think Knuble will get the same money he got in his last contract. He is a very good player and a guy the Caps should possibly re-sign, but the salary cap situation in the league has changed from two years ago. UFAs his age don't see too much money anymore(with a few exceptions).

Posted by: sgm3 | October 19, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The Caps will need salary space down the road for guys like Carlson and Neuvirth, I don't see Fleischmann or Semin back next season on a long-term deal.

After 2010 Washington will run into the same problem that Pittsburgh, Chicago and other contenders with young talent have - namely that you can sign and carry your top 3-4 players with long-term deals but those guys at #4-5-6 are ones you may lose in free agency.

It is conceivable the Caps lose Fleischmann and get no compensation for him.

McPhee has had the chance to deal him or Semin and bring back some help on the blueline or at center ice, but he has failed to make any moves at all.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 19, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR - I am not going to judge Fleischmann's performance this year based on his post-season collapse last year.

He did not have the off-season to condition himself prior to the 2009-10 season. This is critical to hockey players, and he ran out of steam.

If he has a similar collapse THIS season, I will think it a problem. Last season, the season before, not so much. Remember, he had pneumonia/mono in 2008-09 - and both take TIME to recover from - and the blood clot to deal with in the summer of 2009-10. He's in *much* better shape this season than he was last season, and, apart from abysmal dot performance, he's doing well. The dot will come.

Posted by: irockthered | October 19, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

and his getting back on D?

I vote nay.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 19, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

In trying to bracket what it might take to get Richards, it took the equivalent of 4 current or future every day players to get Kovalchuk. Richards would be a great add, but if there is a big $ addition it should be a d-man IMO. There is already plenty of firepower on the second line if a solid veteran center were added as a bridge to MaJo/Kuznetsov/Eakin. The d is paper thin, as we all have seen.

Posted by: zmega | October 19, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

As for all these trades.. y'all are playing fantasy hockey. It's. Not. That. Easy. Say it with me: It's NOT THAT EASY!

In order to make a trade, you have to have a partner to dance with.

Why not trade Holtby? Because he's the best stickhandling goaltender we have in the system. Varlamov has problems with his groin, and I believe he will continue to have injury problems until he gets his technique down solid enough to not have to rely on being agile like a cat to get himself back to make the "spectacular save" that he wouldn't have to make if he was in the right place in the first place.

Why not trade Fleischmann? Because he has experience - more than others in the system - and appears to be clicking with Laich and Semin as the 2C. Give him time to find his rhythm in the dot.

Why not trade Perreault? Because Flash is a UFA and may go elsewhere next season, and Perreault will then fill the slot vacated by Johansson if he takes over at 2C for Fleischmann if Flash goes elsewhere at the end of the year. Johansson is NOT ready to be the 2C yet; he needs the experience in the dot as much as Flash does. Eventually? Sure, but not yet, and Flash is a better choice than Perreault for 2C, particularly because Perreault can go up and down to Hershey without waivers.

Why not trade A. Gordon? Andrew Gordon just passed through waivers. Other teams could have snagged him then, and didn't. This is good for us - we aren't exactly swimming in right wings - but not so good for Gordo's prospects as trade bait...

Just my .02!

Posted by: irockthered | October 19, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

@IRTR

I don't care about Flash's inability in the dot. I care about the fact he is one of the worst defensive forwards in the entire league(yes probably exaggerating, but not by much). That as a 2C are not what you want in the playoffs. I don't know if he just doesnt understand you have to play both ends of the ice as a Center or what, but he just doesn't get it. He didn't get it last year when he played center and still appears to not get it. If he can change then we can keep him thats fine.

Posted by: ThePat | October 19, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega
----
not so sure I agree with you when Schultz hasn't been on ice for a goal against in 5 games... and Green for 1 in 4.

Paper thin on hard-core checking and Pronger-esque toughness? Yes!
Paper thin on ability, talent, team defense and production? oh hell no!

The PK is 100% so far! The D must be doing something right otherwise the opposition would have exploited it a couple times no?

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 19, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

Holtby may be the best of the three goalies, but he is at least a few years away. No point stockpiling goalies when you can use one to get a defensemen. Right now, Varly and Neuvy are above him on the depth chart and decent vets are cheap. Sometimes it's better to build a great team instead of having a HOF goalie on a crap team (see: Tomas Vokun).

Flash is living off Semin right now. If you don't believe me, wait until Semin goes on his sabbatical...uh, gets hurt in November. Of course, he'll get PP time with Ovi and Backstrom, but I've seen in the past how our 2nd line disappears when Semin is gone. Flash is just a winger who takes face offs. Not that hard to replace.

As for Perreault-see Flash.

I agree with you about A. Gordon. Of course, just because no one wanted him in October doesn't mean he won't have value in December. Things change fast.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 19, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I think the Caps have been shopping Fleischmann. After his lousy showing in the playoffs, I don't think we are going to get very much return for him. As for Semin, if has nets 40 goals again, we will have a hard time getting him to sign for less than 6 million (he makes 6 now) per for 5 or more years. What do you think somebody will pay for a 2 time 40 goal scorer who is only 27? I figure the Caps will try to keep Semin.
How is this for possible lines next year?
Laich, B-19, O-08
Fehr, M.Jo90, Semin
Chimera, M.P.85, ??
3 of the others on the 4th.
Just a thought.

Posted by: chriscaps | October 19, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I really wish some of you wouldn't even post comments.

Posted by: jcreech1

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Could not agree more. These threads used to be interesting and now the average age appears to be at around 9. Squirt chatter.

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | October 19, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

IDK about Richards, I'm skeptical that he'd be more than a 2C who will expect to be treated [and paid] like a 1C [which he wouldn't be here, with Nicky and at this point in his career]. Also, he's only ever really thrived where someone else [MSL, Vinny] has absorbed the other team's best defenders, and IIRC has only averaged better than a point per game a couple times. He wasn't good enough to make Canada this time [and nor would he have made Team USA, with Brian Burke picking the team. Or Sweden, Russia, or Slovakia, for that matter].

The Canadian hockey propaganda machine will be pushing him hard I realize, but I hope GMGM respectfully abstains.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 19, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Holy Crap - Richards is a -65 over the course of his career!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 19, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Holy Crap - Richards is a -65 over the course of his career!

Posted by: Timbo_1
----
This would be a very good reason (and his 7.8 mil salary) to avoid acquiring him!

2 of his 10 seasons have had him in the +, 02-03 and 03-04! the rest are - seasons!

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 19, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Frank, you must have missed the Nashville game, when the Caps dressed two (essentially) rookies, Sloan, Erskine, and a career minor leaguer. But, yes, the need is for a physical, veteran leader-type. And no, having two defensemen who are having success and an effective PK are not equivalent to defensive depth.

Posted by: zmega | October 19, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

jcreech1,

A blatant, what should have been a five minute elbow has been a suspendable offense as long as I have watched/played hockey which is almost forty years. And you must be a new fan if you haven't heard Engblom and Jones trash the Caps in seasons past. I'm not sure what Polin did to those guys but they really do hate the organization. If you are going to come on here and attack someone at least know what you are talking about, you are obviously a new poster as I have never seen that screen name before.

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega
----
I saw the 1st 2 periods of the Nashville game, sadly missed the best 23+ mins of hockey!

so our paper thin defense (minus Green and Poti) of Schultz, Carlson, Alzner, Erskine, Sloan and Fahey lost the game for us by allowing alot of goals against?

because as I remember the score was 3-2 in OT against a previously unbeaten solid team.

Pardon the partial tone, but if we had a paper thing D, we'd be getting out butts handed defensively to us on a regular basis with a lot of goals against... and yet, we are tied at this albeit early stage of the season, with Detroit at 2.20 GA/G for 4th best in the NHL.

Would I like to see them stronger and add a more capable #2, 3, or 4 D-man? Yes! but so would every GM in the league if they could afford it and swing it...

With Green and Poti out, thinner than I would like? Yes!
Paper thin? Debateble but in the end, winning is winning... and losing is losing!

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 19, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Re: Brad Richards

I don't think we'd want to choke on that huge cap hit. They overpaid.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 19, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@RedLit - I agree, totally overpaid. Not quite a Scotty Gomez situation, but close, almost the kind of deal that can find a GM soon looking for other employment.

Speaking of GMs, interesting to see that, now that he's been inked to a new deal by MTL's new one, Plekanec has been playing lights out [and finally seeing gravy PP time in addition to his usual PK minutes]. Gomez looks terrific but the end result often just isn't there. Sooo glad Burke left him off Team USA!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 19, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

FrankM73,

The D really was bad for most of that game in Nashville and if not for OUTSTANDING goaltending it would have been a blow out. The D is an issue that has got to be addressed before playoff time. Can you imagine Green and Poti going down in the playoffs? Would you really want the D corp that played in Nashville on the ice come playoff time?

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

For people worrying about Brad Richards, acquring him would be strictly a rental. We wouldnt be signing him after this season as he's a UFA. He'd be a good 2C, playoff experience, can play PP and PK. If everyone wants a cup, that is the type of rental this team is going to need to get there imo. Does it have to be Richards no, but it would have to be a 2C, and one that plays at both ends of the ice and has playoff experience.

Posted by: ThePat | October 19, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

PhilR: It wasn't an elbow, it was a shoulder, which was at the time a legal hit. If it had been his elbow he would have been suspended. It's not like the league has been shy about suspending him before, including twice during his tenure with the Penguins for elbows to the head.

Posted by: wmsheppa | October 19, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

FYI: Neuvirth's breakaway glove save against Nashville is #4 save of the week on NHL.com

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 19, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR:

I think the whole team qualified as horrible for the 1st two periods. The forwards couldn't get it out of the zone either...

but overall I did agree that a #2-4 solid D would be very much appreciated. I do think that Carlson and Alzner are doing just fine for their age and the minutes they get...

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 19, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

wmsheppa,

You can say that was a shoulder all you want but if you look at the video (which I just did again) there was a distinct upswing with the elbow which showed intent and could have been suspendable. There was an intent to injure in that hit without a doubt and should have resulted in a suspension.

Posted by: PhilR | October 19, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey PhilR,

It was a shoulder hit the same as Mike Richards hit on David Booth. Now, because of those plays, the NHL is fining players and handing out game misconducts for typical hockey hits. Ask Nick Foligno about that. And there were plenty of times Keith Jones praised the Caps last year during their multiple winning streaks. If you want to listen to a Caps hater listen to Mike Milbury.

Oh, and I've been a Caps fan since 1993 when they lost to the Islanders on the overtime goal by Pierre Turgeon when Huntsy got suspended for that stupid hit. I've also seen them beat Pittsburgh the only time in 1994, blow two two-game series leads in '95 and '96 to the Pens and watched Jim Shoenfeld stand at center ice and challenge the Pittsburgh crowd during Game 5 of the '96 series when the Caps lost 4-1 and then lost the series in Game 6 at Caps Centre 3-2. Remember the Mark Tinordi fight that started the brawl in Game 5 in '96? How about the Caps 5-0-1 western road trip in 2000-2001 which started with a 3-1 win at the Avalance that Craig Billington started and ended with a win 6-3 win at Montreal? I do.

Posted by: jcreech1 | October 19, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey PhilR,

Posted by: jcreech1 | October 19, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey PhilR,

Posted by: jcreech1 | October 19, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey PhilR,

Posted by: jcreech1 | October 19, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey jcreech1,

You only need to post your comments once!

Posted by: chriscaps | October 19, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

So much to talk about so here goes...

- To the person saying that Sloan is "only a #7 d-man".... yes he is, but you do realize that all it takes is ONE INJURY for him to be suiting up in the playoffs... that's a scary thought if you ask me.

- As long as Lehtonen doesn't get injured (yes a big "if") I don't see the Stars trading Richards because they should be right in the hunt for the playoffs (certainly not for prospects, draft picks, or a package that includes Flash). That being said, I'd love for the Caps to acquire him, even as a rental. The guy was money in the playoffs for Tampa. I don't think he'd care if he was the "#2 center".... my feeling is that he'd love a shot to win another Cup.

Posted by: chombie13 | October 19, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

chriscaps,

Haha. Computer was giving me trouble.

Posted by: jcreech1 | October 19, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

chriscaps,

Haha. Computer was giving me trouble.

Posted by: jcreech1 | October 19, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse