Leonsis: Caps 'aren't a very good team right now'

The Capitals lost their second straight game to the Bruins last night, and many, including Washington's players, cited the stellar play of Boston goalie Tim Thomas as the primary factor.

"His lateral movement was just phenomenal," Caps winger Mike Knuble said of Thomas, who stopped 73 of 75 shots in two games against Washington. "He was a huge part of this game."

Added rookie Marcus Johansson: "I think we did a lot of stuff right to get goals but he was always there to stop them. That's the way it is sometimes; he had a great day."

But according to Capitals owner Ted Leonsis, that's just an excuse for a good team's poor play.

"I don't like to read about hot goaltenders being the reason for our loss," Leonsis wrote this morning on his personal blog, Ted's Take. "If you are a good team, it is more about you than them. ...

"We aren't a very good team right now. We have a lot of work to do in practice. We have to heal up as we seem to lose a player in every game to injury that jumbles up the lines. We are what our record says we are and right now, we are just an average NHL team."

By Lindsay Applebaum  | October 22, 2010; 12:58 PM ET
Categories:  Boston Bruins, Ted Leonsis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday practice update from KCI
Next: Mike Green, Matt Bradley getting closer to returning

Comments

That game last night was hard to watch. Pretty piss-poor showings these past games. Sick of seeing 20, 15, 10 minute games by the Caps.

Lots of pressure was on BB to show that he can make the proper adjustments game to game, as is the case in the playoffs. He seemed to have failed, miserably. I'm sick of seeing Ovechkin on the point, powerplay or not. How many breaks the other way does it take before we put two d-men back there?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I say BB is on the hot seat before GMGM...although not getting a D or a C was horribly reckless of GMGM...had he gotten one of the two I would not blame him at all...but we have too many people adjusting to new positions, teams, and the NHL

Posted by: capscoach | October 22, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

And what the hell happened to the PK ?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

All the criticism is justified, however it is in my best interest to also look at the positive...b/c I will always be a Caps fan no matter what, I have no control over what they do with the team, and if all I did was focus on the bad,my bp would not be the awesome 110/65 that it is.

Posted by: capscoach | October 22, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@richmond

did u really think we would go forever with a 100% PK the first goal was terrible with that line getting stuck out there, but the other one was just a well played PPG.

Posted by: capscoach | October 22, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

There were a few positives, but special teams were horrible. PP and PK. Ovechkin on the point seems to be a problem. I like how CSN showed a replay of Ovi hitting a Bruin, putting him out of position and a 1-on-2 break our way. Of course, they didn't show that stepping up there caused an odd-man break... Semin, I don't know what's wrong with him but he doesn't seem to be all there right now. Our 4th line didn't look so great, though I thought Flash-Fehr-Chimmy looked pretty good. Johansson was buzzing all around, but I think Semin was weighing that line down. I like Semin, but he just seemed off last night.
Why does our team refuse to dump and chase? Obviously entry through the blue line isn't working, I don't understand it. Our breaks into the o-zone are just off. Combine that with a lack of forechecking effort from the players..and I don't know.

Caps will rebound, but its up to the players to decide when that happens. It'd be nice to see even a 2-period, 40 minute, effort.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I totally thought it would forever stay 100%.

Second goal was Varlamov's fault, gotta stop those short-side shots. Third one was the team, it was late in the game, they didn't care. "Oh, Chara, we'll just give him a ton of room to wind up and shoot!"

Being tired (read; out played) is the PK's fault..

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with richmondphil about the effort. They had a great first period and I felt that b/c they still ended it down a goal they came into the 2nd with a defeatest attitude. The big problem was the lack of net prescence which isn't new to us.Thomas played GREAT but he also saw most of the shots.

BB used his time out to scream at the players which was interesting...usually he just does that in between periods. I really think Backstrom is what is causing that top line to underperform. Ovechkin is trying to do too much by himself, and his teamates are encouraging that by playing the lets get the puck to ovie game.

Posted by: capscoach | October 22, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom's been great defensively though. He picks up the slack from Ovi and a little from Knuble. The top line had a few good chances, just no finish. Backstrom does seem a little off in the o-zone, but so does most guys so far it seems.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@richmond

but it's a double edged sword...Ovie is having to take more risks BECAUSE backie is not helping...Backstrom was always pretty defesively responsible and it never affected his production. When Ovie gets some help that is when the team will start to balance itself back out.

Posted by: capscoach | October 22, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Ovi and his linemates are primarily to blame for the 2nd and 3rd goals which is to say they are the main reason for the loss.

they couldn't get off the ice after they were on for more than 2 minutes, the first time resulted in a goal and the 2nd time they had to take a penalty after icing the puck twice. Ovi MUST get off the ice after 40 sec to a minute max.

Posted by: joek443 | October 22, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Dose anyone think that perhaps Nicky's contract is affecting his pay. He has always started slow, but just saying.

Posted by: instinct227 | October 22, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@ joek443

I agree with you 100% I just wonder why you say OVIE needs to get off the ice after 40 sec...it wasn't just him...the whole line got stuck out there.

I will also say one more time...while ovie and that line were responsible for getting stuck out there, I have been pleased that Ovie has not been CHOOSING to take such long shifts as he did last season.

Posted by: capscoach | October 22, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

After seven games the Caps;

have won 2 games in regulation
scored the first goal 1 time
have not had a lead at the end of 1st
have taken 1 lead into the third

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 22, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

BB needs to fire an assistant today. With the PP continuing to be unwatchable, I vote for Evason. Everybody has become rich, fat and lazy. We need a serious wake up.

McPhee is responsible for this. He should not be allowed to hire another coach. The man is an idiot. He was terrible at the trade deadline, did nothing during the summer.

But to top it all off, after an embarrassing playoffs, after a disgraceful summer, this d!psh!t decides to extend Poti. At nearly $3m per season. Takes away all of his motivation to play well this year. For this alone, he should be escorted from the building. Tom Poti has played in the league 12 years, he has made it past the 1st round of the playoffs ONCE. 2009, with us. Every other year his teams either failed to qualify, or lost in the 1st round.

Poti is our veteran. Pittsburgh had Guerin. Chicago had Madden. Detriot, Anaheim, NJ, you name it. They all had veterans that were instrumental in winning Cups. We have Tom Poti.

Posted by: underpants2 | October 22, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@ capscoach

I think Backs and Knuble stay on as long as Ovi is on the ice... don't believe it's the other way around therefore I believe Ovi is the main culprit for the long shifts.

BB was mad as hell after the 2nd goal... that would have been a good time to teach Ovi a lesson which is doesn't matter how good you are, you CANNOT do it alone!!!!

Posted by: joek443 | October 22, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1:

"that's quite frankly below average in my book. plenty of time to improve and i think some early season adversity is good, but they are performing like a below average team."

Yes, some early season adversity will not hurt. Looks to me like a team that hasn't yet decided what its identity is. And way two few games played to make any real value judgements.

I like the fact that Ted called the team out.......kinda.

Posted by: prestoj | October 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

lol, chill out underpants.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Mark Rypien was suspended for 6 more games, 7 total because he missed one while waiting for the hearing. I am actually suprised it is so few. I also have no idea what actually happened but I'm naive enough to believe he grabbed an innocent bystander. My guess is the punk was shooting his mouth off and Rypien flipped out. Typical of a fan of any sport to be cocky and then timid as a church mouse when confronted. I loved his reaction when it looked like Canucks team mates were asking him what he said. He was waiving his little hands like, I didn't do anything, I didn't do anything. I've seen Caps fans that sit by the visitors tunnel and yell stupid crap from the safety of their seat. We're all human, even the players. A paying fan should not have free reign to treat the players like circus animals as they walk by.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Thomas played well but you have to give credit to the Bruins defense for not allowing many quality opportunities.

Teams that play solid defense and keep our guys to the outside for most of the game have found our weakness. The problem is, our team doesn't play that style of D and we CAN be scored on. When we get shut down on the other end (like last night), the net result is a LOSS.

Posted by: Digitalman08 | October 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Last night's game can be described in one word:

Frustration.

The Caps did many things right and made relatively few mistakes, but couldn't get a break or a bounce to go their way if their lives depended on it...except when Thomas pulled a bonehead move in the third that resulted in the lone goal by Chimera. It seemed like every time Boston's defense collapsed in around Thomas, the result was a blocked shot, but every time the Caps did the same, the puck was in their net. No Puck-luck at all. And getting pinned down the way the Caps did in the third was just. plain. ugly. Everytime BOS made a mistake Thomas would bail them out or the Caps woud get a bad bounce. Every time the Caps made a mistake they had to pay for it.

Intellectually, I know it's only one game, but I don't know what's worse: Watching us lose this way or listening to the triumphant jeering of the haters:

(DISCLAIMER--The following italicized screed DOES NOT represent my true opinion of the Washington Capitals organization or of any member thereof)

"Blah blah blah Boudreau got outcoached blah blah blah Ovechkin is soft blah blah blah GMGM stinks blah blah blah fire/trade everyone blah blah blah Penalty kill still stinks blah blah blah Power play too blah blah blah everyone in the League knows how to stop us now blah blah blah need more grit blah blah blah Schultz is no good blah blah blah Semin is nothing blah blah blah Sloan should not be in the NHL blah blah blah Erskine is too slow blah blah blah Varlamov = Jim Carrey blah blah blah Caps will never win the Cup blah blah blah won't win the Division blah blah blah might not make the playoffs blah blah blah should have traded Fleischmann blah blah blah why did we resign Poti blah blah blah Knuble too old blah blah blah get rid of Steckel blah blah blah Fehr can't play defense blah blah blah they couldn't beat the Bees when they were banged-up so what will they do when Savard comes back blah blah blah..."

...did I leave anyting out?

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

It's one game. A game showing some very disturbing patterns, but one game nonetheless.

What is certain is that:

1) The Caps definitely need B├Ąckis & Ovie back in their respective grooves,
2) The Caps need Brads & Green back, period.
3) I also agree that Sloan did not look good out there.
4) There's got to be a way to continue with the best of what we've seen so far this year (e.g., generally improved penalty killing) while somehow recapturing the things the Caps were so successful at last year (i.e., power play dominance and just basically "scoremoregoals").

Other than that, can you say "Small sample size", boys and girls?

Time to get back in the saddle and stick it to Atlanta.

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 22, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes when the Caps struggle it is automatically Ovie's fault...he has not been even CLOSE to the worse player on the ice lately! sure he made a couple gaffes, but so did half the team. When he plays well he gets no credit but when it goes wrong there are plenty of voices to bash him.

On a happier note...MaJo is playing REALLY well...like someone gave him a shot of confidence! I was worried about him before the injury thinking that we were rushing him, but if he continues this way I will happily be proven wrong.

Posted by: capscoach | October 22, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: instinct227 |

I don't think so. It might have effected him in the sense that he might have slacked off a little bit in the off-season, but now that the season is going, I don't think it's impacting his play.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, not Mark, just flashin' back to Superbowl days. Of course I meant Rick Rypien.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 22, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino

I am sending you an internet fist bump...b/c a hug would make me seem to girly.

Posted by: capscoach | October 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The Caps did many things right and made relatively few mistakes,

______________________________

You're kidding, right? How many odd-man breaks did the Bruins have last night?

It's not all fire and brimstone yet, but lets not swing to the other extreme to make that point.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

NHL is a joke, Rypien should have gotten at least 10 games...

Posted by: joek443 | October 22, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

It's only October...wait until they trade Semin for a dman and/or a real second line center.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 22, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Uh, no, NASCAR, and Formula I are a joke.

expected response: Oh, but the whole world participates in Formula I and soccer (futbol).

My response: Whateva

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 22, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I think you want to see Ovie taking shorter shifts and therefore you do. But as you have read here, heard on tv/radio, everyone else seems to disagree. So either everyone else has it wrong and only you have it right.....OR.......

I for one am not going to do the research (comparing average shift time last year vs this year), Ill let you handle that if you want, my eyes and brain are good enough research for me for now. But if you feel up to it, by all means go for it and share.

As for his other linemates being out there too long, for them that shift was the anomaly not the norm.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 22, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

After what happened last season, I doubt the team is going to flip out about a slow start. Didn't everyone come to the conclusion that the regular season doesn't matter and peaking for the playoffs is the only thing that is important? Then stop flipping out people.

Posted by: rademaar | October 22, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I like Formula One. But I like the NHL more.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Who in the world are the five percent that can't see this team needs to work harder???!!! This team has played two, count em, two full games with Jersey and Ottawa. If we all can't see there are problems there are some seriously delusional people out there that must be watching a different team than I am.

Posted by: PhilR | October 22, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil2:

I'll clarify that by saying that they started out doing many things right and making relatively few mistakes. The wheels didn't come off until later.

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 22, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rademaar |

Some posters did, and I would always make the point that you need to do good in the regular season to get to the playoffs. In which they usually responded, "it's just pre-season" or something absurd like that.

Caps fans took the regular season and getting into the playoffs for granted, and now look. Pretty funny, especially considering the same people who said the regular season doesn't matter a few months ago are the same people generally flipping out.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I just want to see a better collective effort from the team, and coach, and GM, we have right now. This team is more than capable of going somewhere, they all just have to buckle down, think a little more before they do something, and give 100% effort on each shift.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 22, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

not having seen most of the Boston games - I can't comment that much.

but I think this is Ted responding to the heat the organization took for their attitude toward the Montreal series.

the caps made their bed - now they have to lie in it. they chose not to do much this offseason. they chose to go with the same people + young, in-house talent.

now they have to watch the team gel and experience growing pains.

we will make the playoffs. but, unless McPhee adds to the team at the deadline, we will crash out pretty early.

and i'm afraid mcphee is drinking the kool-aid rather than critically analyzing anything....

Posted by: CF11555 | October 22, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

This team looks to be right where they left off in the playoffs last year. Why would they expect it to be different? Ted's absolutely correct. There are great goaltenders in this league, but that's why we (are supposed to) have the best offense in the league, right?...To beat the best teams and goalies. If our killer offense can't beat these great goalies, then why don't we go back to the more traditional defensive-minded configuration? No, it's not time to start flipping out over this, but we can only worry about the playoffs if, and when we get there.

Posted by: rconner9 | October 22, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

MARK FRENCH, Please.

Posted by: iastdon | October 22, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

but then again what do you expect from the league that used to celebrate bench-clearing brawls and Milbury beating up someguy with a shoe at MSG...

Posted by: joek443 | October 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I havent seen anyones mention this... Knuble IMHO is holding down the first line, he seems slow adn out of sync w/ the other guys... there i said it.

Posted by: guer_j | October 22, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Ted Leonsis is absolutely right. Our team is just an average team. Really had a hard time watching the game last night. I watched Project Runway instead. The players should really practice well and hard,they should not even party. The teams now in the NHL are all pretty good. I hope they have a chance.

Posted by: capsfan2007 | October 22, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I rarely agree with joek443 but he is absolutely correct about Rypein. He deserved to be suspended 10 games, at the minimum. I found a 6 game suspension to be almost laughable. The NHL should've taken a hard stance on this.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 22, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Just give Russian Machine Cup. No work to get.

Posted by: doughless | October 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Over/Under on when BB gets canned?? I say before Thanksgiving. What say you?

Posted by: rdondero123 | October 22, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Great comments on the last two games. However, did anybody notice that it seems that all the Caps shots were low except for Johansons shot which went up high over Thomases left shoulder. Boston shots all seems to be high and they scored 7 goals over two games, except for the empty netter last night. Why don't they shot high on Thomas more often?

Second, I have noticed that Ovi does seems to take the time he wants to take on shifts. Why doesn't BB talk to him or sit him if he won't play more normal shifts, unless caught on long shifts like he was last night.

Third, is it me or does it seem that Ovi doesn't want to work on the boards to dig out the puck when it is in their zone. He seems to let the other four get the puck from the other team and he's not going after it when it's on his side in his zone.

Just some food for thought. Also, I agree with Ted's article and wonder who is on the hot seat, GMGM or BB or both?

Posted by: JMinVA | October 22, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

@richmondPhil - >

yah, it rocks. Got into because of a roommate from Monaco. Great stuff, thank god for DVRs.

@capscoach - > Yes! He is a little over-matched physically which we would expect, but he thinks the game extremely well, and he looks like our best skater - actually, there's no one close to him (maybe Green) in that aspect - and he uses that to retrieve pucks. Plus he has heart. I thought he acquitted himself well on the 2nd line and he'll click there. My only fear is that he has had a concussion thing - why he and Eakin both were drafted where they were - and once you've had one, you're more vulnerable. He needs to keep his head up...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 22, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Everyone needs to take a moment and chill...

The Caps are missing Mike Green. And to all you Green-haters out there who say he is too soft, or he takes too many offensive chances -- or whatever it is you say to knock the two-time Norris Trophy finalist -- take a look at how the Caps play without him. Green is a one-man breakout of the defensive end. He is, with all due respect to OV, the quarterback of the power play. And he is a heck of a good defensive player too.

It's time you all -- and the league -- realized just how good he is, and how important he is to the success of the Washington Capitals.

Also, the Caps are working TWO rookie defensemen (Alzner and Carlson) and a rookie center (Johansson) into key roles on the team. They have all made rookie mistakes that have cost the team. But they are all CLEARLY going to be very good players in the near future -- as in, by the Winter Classic January 1st.

Finally, let's face it. Everyone around here now knows all too well that nothing matters in the regular season except qualifying for the post-season. Not only is it unrealistic to expect the Caps players to come close to matching last season's regular season record and level of effort, it would be stupid for them to do so.

Win enough to get in. Anything after that is a waste of energy.

Oh, one last thing. Their goalie DID stand on his head... TWICE. Even playing as poorly as the Caps did, they still would have beaten about 25 of the other 29 teams in the NHL.

Stop freaking, people. Take two aspirin and call me in April.

Posted by: noslok | October 22, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1:

FTR, I find myself in agreement with much--heck, nearly all--of what you have to say.

However, I think it's a bit much to paint all motorsports with the same broad brush.

NASCAR: definitely the province of Good Ol' Boys who want to drive in circles "rill, rill fast".

FORMULA 1: Formula 1 requires actual driving skills. For example, it involves both left AND right turns, as well as variations in speed other than when entering or leaving the pit area. Also, putting other drivers "into the wall" is not allowed...

NASCAR: The cars are hot rods bearing a passing resemblance to street legal passenger cars.

FORMULA 1: There is no mistaking an F1 car for anything other than a pure racing machine.

NASCAR: Started by mooonshiners in the 1950's

FORMULA1: Traces its lineage to the earliest days of motorsport (the moment that cars started being made by more than one company, guys started claiming that "mine is faster than yours").

It will help to understand that, having spent most of my formative years in:

--Southern California before the Kings or Ducks existed,
--Denver before the Nordiques came to town,
--The Bay Area before the Sharks existed,
--The Deep South and Southwest before the Trashers, Lightning or Panthers existed (The Stars were still the NorthStars, the Yotes were still the Jets and the 'Canes were still the Whalers)...

...I knew next to nothing about hockey before coming to DC in 1986.

So, one of my most enduring childhood fantasies was to become a Formula 1 driver: Jackie Stewart, Stirling Moss, Jim Clark, Emerson Fittipaldi and Mario Andretti were my heroes.

I guess that's why I have gotten so many speeding tickets...LOL

So make no mistake, hockey is my favorite sport, but please remember that NASCAR and F1 are very, very different.

(end of rant).

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 22, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

hey Rhino, you forgot to mention perhaps the greatest and bravest of them all... Aryton Senna

Posted by: joek443 | October 22, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

oops, I meant Ayrton Senna... I hear there is a great docomentary out about him recently

Posted by: joek443 | October 22, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

We're only in the beginning of the season. Yeah, we need to play better and perhaps BB should make some adjustments, but I'm not worrying right now. The PK wasn't going to remain perfect and the Caps will have some bad games this year.

I think the reason for Tim Thomas's lateral movement may be because he has female genitals.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 22, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I know, I know, it's only 2 games but with Ted chiming in do you think this is the first flare shot up to BB that he could be in trouble? His only answer to adversity is to yell at the team and then throw #8 back on the ice and hope for a miracle. However, GMGM should shoulder some serious blame also considering he did nothing this summer to add skill or veteran leadership to a team that crashed in the 1st round. Yes, yes I know it was the "HOT" Goaltenders fault, but you have to consider all possibilities...

Posted by: kcbrichmond | October 22, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS ITS A JOKE THAT LEONSIS SAYS DONT BLAME A HOT GOALTENDER WHEN THAT WAS HIS EXCUSE FOR WHY THEY LOST IN THE PLAYOFFS ESPECIALLY WHEN HES BEEN TO BUSY SUCKING JOHN WALLS NUTZ LATELY TO GET US A 2ND LINE CENTER OR BETTER D THEN ERSKINE OR SLOAN

Posted by: vjridgely | October 22, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Look, there's so much more that goes into a winning season than talent. You gotta have the coaching, stay injury free at the right time, and you have to have that elusive chemistry thing. No question, the caps have the talent, but nobody can predict whether or not they'll be winners. They're a good team, but they don't have it figured out yet. But no amount of beating them up and telling them they aren't working hard enough is going to get it right. Just keep doing what you're doing, and it will click. Or it won't.

Posted by: Matte | October 22, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

His team, so he can motivate however. I don't buy it. We know how good this team can be. It's not the first year together. Yes, one piece missing can throw off the chemistry. Their goalie was very good. I thought they were flying around pretty good last night. Making some great passes, and moving the puck very well. I wouldn't worry about the here and now. These boys are going to rock the red, and some other payback areans come elimination time, May.

Posted by: coastallp74 | October 22, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

HOT GOALIE! HOT GOALIE! The CAPS need to go get them one of them HOT GOALIES, then the cup is OURS!

Posted by: festus75 | October 22, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

WELL THEY JUST STINK BECAUSE THEY ARE POORLY COACHED AND HAVE HORRENDOUS DISCIPLINE AND BAD SYSTEMS. THEY ALL WANT TO BE A CELEBRITY. HOW WOULD SCOTTY BOWMAN COACH THIS TEAM? tHE ANSWER IS BETTER. MAYBE I WILL EAT THESE WORDS BUT BB NEEDS TO GO. NICE GUY AND BETTER THAN HANLON BUT THAT IS A WEAK COMPARISON. OH AND THOSE THAT WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE PRESIDENTS TROPHY WHICH IS A JOKE CAN LOOK AT THE CAPS AND SAY THAT THEY PLAYED IN THE WEAKEST DIVISION IN THE WHOLE NHL TO GET THAT TROPHY. HOWEVER BOTH TAMPA AND ATLANTA IN MY OPINION WILL PUNISH THE CAPS SEVERELY. FLORDIA NOT SO MUCH. TAMPA WILL BE THE SE CHAMPIONS THIS YEAR BECAUSE THEY HAVE ONE OF THE MOST CREATIVE YOUNG COACHES IN THE NHL AND A FABULOUS ROSTER. MAYBE NOT AS GOOD AS THE CAPS BUT THEY WILL BE BETTER AS A TEAM

Posted by: pkme | October 22, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

If @capscoach is REALLY Coach Boudreau (which I highly doubt) than let me just say this:

You s*ck a$$. Stop taking credit for Hershey's Calder Cup because it's the most winningest franchise in AHL history and two other coaches have done it AFTER you.

Your playoff record previous to Hershey is exactly what your playoff record is here. First round exits for 5 years.

A clown could easily take that talent and bring it to the Cup.

Posted by: sasha_206 | October 23, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

This really getting pretty ridiculous. Both things are true, as usually is the case. The team does seem to be working very hard already and the PK is evidence of that. The team does need to work harder on a few things right now. One is the PP and the other is face offs. As the season goes on there needs to be more an more empasis put on 5-5 hockey as that is what wins in the playoffs when there ae less PP. The regualr season is won on the PP, PK and of course goaltending.

Tim Thomas is a great goalie, but even he doesn't stop much of what he can't see so you have to have lots of interference in front of the net. We don't and that is what kils us in the playoffs. You have to get at least a 3rd of your goals from less than 5 ft. If you don't then you will get beat by the great goalie most of the time.

The othe thing the team seems to be worse than others is bringing the puck into the zone on the PP. It seems one guy brings it down and tries to skate through two guys at the blue line. We only seem to have some success when we dump and chase and get there first. then maybe 10-15 sec later we mght get the cycle going and set up a play. We have to fins a way as others do of carryin the puck into the zone and setting up the play right away.

I don't know how you improve on face offs if you aren't very good at it but we were pretty good last year so I don't know the problem unless we just happen to have played teams so far that are goos at that. maybe it will even out but I have been to two games and i hardly see us ever get the draw.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 23, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse