Boudreau chastises media: 'Just get it right'

We're only one day into the playoffs and Coach Bruce Boudreau is already riled up after a pair of media reports stirred controversy ahead of tonight's Game 1.

I'm not sure where this report originated, but several outlets reported Alex Ovechkin took the slap shot that stung goalie Jose Theodore during practice yesterday.

"I don't have a problem answering any questions," Boudreau told a couple dozen reporters and cameras, many from Montreal, at KCI this morning. "Just get it right. That's all I ask ya. Yesterday, it wasn't Ovechkin who hit Theodore that was publicized everywhere. It was Dave Steckel. So don't guess and make it sound like our best player is getting it."

Boudreau wasn't done, though. The coach also was upset about radio talk shows in Montreal suggesting he was referring to Jaroslav Halak and Carey Price when he said "I'll take José's record the last 23 games over those two guys" in response to Tomas Plekanec's rather benign shot at the Caps' goaltending.

"It's the same thing when we're talking about Theodore, and Plekanec was talking about him," Boudreau said. "I was talking about Brodeur and Miller that Theodore's record is better in the last 20 games. So don't try to create the controversy. If we say the controversy, it's there. But don't try to create it by making [expletive] or stuff up. Okay? That's all I ask."

Just wait until the series shifts to Montreal, where the Canadiens are covered like the New York tabs treat the Yankees.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 15, 2010; 11:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin on motivation, Game 1
Next: Boudreau wary of Caps-Canadiens opener after Wednesday's upsets

Comments

Um, I think the last 3 paragraphs got "double posted"? Sorry, I'm an editor. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 15, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the quick update.

FYI- some paragraphs appear twice...

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | April 15, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 15, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Thanks. It's fixed. I'm using a tiny netbook today, and my screen did something weird.
--TEB

Posted by: el_bashir | April 15, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I've been to Montreal for F1 weekends.
Crazy fun place to be.
Great restaurants.
Hawt chicks.
Nice people.
So what causes them to sell out over rumors & hearsay from the media?

Must be a French Faggle thing from across the pond they inherited.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 15, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I've got faith in Theo! All I ask of him is that he play the way he did over the last 3 months! Id he can do that we are set!

Posted by: capscoach | April 15, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

It seems like media does as much damage as good in this day and age.

Sensationalism, trying to create controversy, lack of ethics, pumping out material without doing adequate research, etc...

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 15, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Was Theo at the morning skate?
None of TEB's posts seem to mention it.

Posted by: psugolf | April 15, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Is the last sentence supposed to imply that BB can't handle it? There were numerous reports that said the media circus last year during the Pens/Caps series was like none other seen before. BB did fine with that last year. I agree with him though. Don't post partial reports like Backstrom is "questionable" when someone else that attended the same interview continues with "questionable but probable." Then there were reports that Backs might have been injured Sunday but he was ill, not injured. I enjoy all the coverage but want facts, not speculation.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 15, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Flash as the second line center? huh? he is better on the wing...need to win faceoffs in the playoffs.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 15, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@ Nothing against Theo, but I would rather have Miller or Marty (especially 8 years ago), and I realize that's impossible in the salary cap age. But, you dance with the girl who brought you, so get'em Theo.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 15, 2010 11:47 AM

What Bruce was refering to was Theo's record the last 23 games.....he would take it over Miller or Marty's last 23 games.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 15, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

THIS IS OUR TIME BOYS. LETS GO CAPS, we are all behind you!!

Posted by: Bondra2Ovie | April 15, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Was Theo at the morning skate?
None of TEB's posts seem to mention it.

Posted by: psugolf | April 15, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes, two posts back.

"Jose Theodore, as expected, came off first and looked fine while taking shots, despite suffering a "stinger" on his left knee in practice yesterday."

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 15, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Is it 7PM yet???!!!!

Posted by: PhilR | April 15, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

is brendan morrison still hurt?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 15, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Flash ended up with a faceoff % of only 43%. I would rather have Laich (45%) take the faceoffs then move to wing after the faceoff. Unless you put BMo or Bellenger on the second line you are going to have a less then 50% faceoff guy. The key will be keeping him off the ice on key faceoffs. However don't forget a few games ago when Steckel got beat twice late in a game to lose the lead. It doesn't matter how often they win it is can thay win the important ones.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 15, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Don't mess with the Killah B!

LETS GO CAPITALS!

Posted by: mjwies11 | April 15, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I suggest BB pull a Rasheed Wallace and just answer every question by saying, "both teams will play hard, my man..."

Posted by: joek443 | April 15, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"Just get it right. That's all I ask ya."

I think he can say that about the officals also.

Just get it right guys.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 15, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

looks like the heat's getting to Bruce. Who cares if it was Steckel or Ovechkin's shot. Seriously

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 15, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

T-6hrs! could the day move any slower!!!!

Posted by: capscoach | April 15, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Um..the media cared, and BB was trying to fix that. Seriously.

Anyways, I got a free ticket to tonight's game through an old friend. Might have to call out of work tomorrow, haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 15, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

lol....I'm glad that was cleared up and I'm not crazy. I definitely saw Steckel come out of the corner and take a shot on Theo...I looked away and when I looked back Theo was on all fours head on the ice in pain. How did all of the mis-information get published? There had to be 100 people in the stands, at least, who saw the same thing I saw. Where did the whole hit in the arm business come from? Was that from the Caps trying to hide the injury? I am utterly fascinated with this now. Not the injury, but how everything was reported incorrectly. (Not taking jabs at TEB....just really curious.)

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | April 15, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Here is the start of the story about Theo on nhl.com. "Whether Washington Capitals' goalie Jose Theodore truly did suffer a stinger from a slap shot Wednesday, or if he just wanted to get out of the dressing room before the French speaking media marched in looking for him, we will probably never know."

This sounds like exactally what BB was talking about with the media creating stuff.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 15, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Attenion Media-Rats (and by this I mean those individuals who go on and on about why the Caps can't/won't win the Stanley Cup. TEB and the WaPo staff are excluded, of course--you guys are OK):

Listen to the Bald Guy and do what he says!

THIS IS OUR YEAR--IN BRUCE WE TRUST...

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 15, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

>>>is brendan morrison still hurt?
Don't think so. Think he's a healthy scratch and BB wants to see how Flash does as 2nd line center. I'll bet it was jarring to B.Mo to practice once with the top line (while Nick was out "ill") one day, and now look to be out of game 1 altogether.

I love BB, but I almost wish he'd just stop talking to the media and focus on the game. I don't want him to blow a gasket before the series even starts. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 15, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@DisgustedinArlington

My first thought was that the Caps were trying to make a bigger deal out of this to try and keep the focus off the "will Theo fail" or "High scoring teams don't win in the playoffs" stories. Look at SJ. I am sure they would take strories about Thorton taking a shot off Nabby instead of all of the "The Sharks are choking in the playoff again" stories. I starting thinking this when Backstrom missed practice and at one point BB said he was hurt then later said he was sick. The players know what happend and they don't have to answer questions about what if Theo plays bad and they don't get thoughts of losing drilled into thier heads. I know Ek on Hockeybuzz is useless when it comes to rumors but today he talked about how the SJ fans are breeding losing thought in the Sharks and I think he has a point there and I think the Caps want to keep their players from thinking all the time about the horrible goaltending the media keeps talking about.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 15, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

IBWT---"IN BRUCE WE TRUST".

TAKE US TO THE PROMISED LAND BRUCE BABY.

Posted by: duckyjimpond | April 15, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

David Steckel - Goalie killah. I didn't think it was Ovechkin because a few years ago in practice, Kolzig took a puck from Ovie in a poorly-padded spot and let loose a tirade of, "FOR #$%*'S SAKE, OVIE!!!" loud enough to keep him from doing it again.

True story.

Posted by: sandyflee | April 15, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone focusing on Ovi right now. Our focus should be on the team. If the team is focused on the ice than all of the rest will fall into place besides right now these are all words. Actions speak louder than words. I just want to see them play. Backstrom has migraine headaches that's probably why he was in bed a few days ago. Anyone who has had a migraine knows you can't function when you have one. You just need to lay down in a quite dark room and wait for them to go away with medication. With the 3rd straight year of the playoffs, I hope this is the year but, we'll have to wait and see. Let's not panic yet.

Posted by: backstromfan | April 15, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow... uptight a little Brucie? You'd never know it.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | April 15, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame him for getting riled. These numbnuts in the media like to make something out of nothing, which may or may not get into the minds of the players when asked about them. Just let the game happen. Fans want information, but we don't need extra buzz over nothing. And GET IT RIGHT, like Bruce said. I feel sorry for him. He's nice to the media and answers their questions pretty well, he's straight with the answers, usually... and then he has to put up with nonsense. What's the purpose of even asking the players about an upcoming match-up? Want a side-show? How about wait until the game has been played and then ask meaningful stuff. Caps don't need to be derailed mentally before they even play the first game. Damn.

Posted by: fbutler1 | April 15, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't it someone here (not El Bash) who reported that Theo was hit by Ovi? If you go back to that post here http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/theodore-leaves-practice-early.html#comments
it now says Steckel took the shot. Interesting. I swear that said Ovi yesterday.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 15, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Haha, check out ESPN.com's frontpage.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 15, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

TEB -

Yeah, Love the WaPo and all - but you guys could admit that you reported it too.

Gene Wang?

Whatev, I clearly read in the post that Ovy hit Theo with the shot.

Now you are pretending like you had nothing to do with it.

That's New York media crud that doesn't belong here.

Go Caps!