Boudreau: Clark Is Injured (Updated)

Coach Bruce Boudreau shed a little light on the Chris Clark situation, saying, "he has an undisclosed injury at this point. ...It's best that he sits out a game."

Boudreau also said the injury is not the goin tendon injury that dogged the captain last season. Clark, who has only one assist and a minus-2 rating in 12 games, appeared to participate fully in the morning skate.

Asked if he was injured, Clark said, "You have to ask Bruce." He wouldn't say anything more.

When it was relayed to Boudreau that Clark seemed "pertubed", Boudreau said: "He's perturbed that he's hurt."

Clark's wrist was wrapped. But he said that's been a nagging thing since last year.

Update:Boudreau confirmed that Brent Johnson will make his third straight start tonight.

*The pairings are as follows:

Poti-Sloan
Schultz-Green
Erskine-Jurcina

*Sloan said he got cross checked pretty hard in a Bears' game last week and was out with an upper body injury. He didn't travel to Albany for last night's Hershey game, but said he was planning to play for the Bears tonight before being recalled.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 8, 2008; 10:49 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Skate Update
Next: Tonight's Lineup

Comments

Well Clarkie being damaged explains a lot.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 8, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone wearing the 'C' tonight?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 8, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

i wonder if this is an issue of the $ savings of not cooling the ice being less than the $ cost in terms of recalling players from hershey, not advancing in the playoffs last year, having fewer fans attend during periods of losses, and a reduction in the lenght of contracted players'careers.

in short, i wonder if clark has to be "injured" because the upcoming call ups from mo & feds & any future players' whose bodies don't like to play on the poor surface will cause the team to go over the cap some time down the road or interfere w/ plans to bring up alzner later in the season.

Posted by: am_jim | November 8, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

clark injured=too embarassed to sit captain
bb has it in for fehr but I am suprised by steckel's demotion
why has slaon been too hurt to play in hershey but healthy enough to call up to the caps?
wierd stuff going on in capsville

Posted by: wendel2 | November 8, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Clark seeming perturbed, Is a bruised ego considered a lower or upper body injury?

Posted by: Kim-3 | November 8, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Laich-Steckel-Fehr

I can't really get my brain around this line. Thoughts?

Posted by: ChrisAm | November 8, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps Clark is frustrated at being hurt again. Perhaps, because of the way ALL NHL teams disclose injuries now, he defered to the coach because he wasn't sure what he was supposed to say. Perhaps he is not injured, but I do recall several people saying he needed to sit for a game or two. However it is played, it is for the best.

Now if we can only get that sexy lumberhack more playing time....

Posted by: Leeguru | November 8, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Honestly, there's not much of a difference between embarrassment, pride, and stubbornness in Clark's case, no?

Posted by: Whitermage | November 8, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Lee, what's a lumberhack?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 8, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Or if you meant "j" instead of "h", there is always the move to wing. His minutes would drop though, and the only real spot for him would be 4th line which might piss off the Donald.

If you keep him on D, he's not going to get more minutes on the PP.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 8, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Laich/Steckel/Fehr

I like it. Laich in front of the net and crashing. Steckel a puck controlling center with a long reach and decent passing skills and Fehr, a natural sniper type of goal scorer.

What's to think about?

People either don't know or have forgotten that Fehr is a natural goal scorer, not a net crasher, not a in the crease power forward. Gets the puck in space and does what he can to get off his shots.

Posted by: JSchon | November 8, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Lee/Steve:
Is lumberHack freudian?!?

Posted by: Boo- | November 8, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Boo, it must have been. I saw this mistype, went back, and apparently typed it wrong again! It's fun watching the big galoot spinning his wheels like he's on a log roll.

Jschon, I too like the looks of that line. I think it will be a nice surprise tonight.

Posted by: Leeguru | November 8, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Re: Erskine

I know I was out of town for a while, but can someone please try to rationalize his 2 year extension for me?

Posted by: Yoshietree | November 8, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope they stitching C to #8 sweater right now.

Posted by: CodePoetry | November 8, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

They should let The Don wear the C or make him an alternate.

Posted by: kvarnson | November 8, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

JSchon

Thanks for the info. Have they played together as a line before? Why is Fehr sitting all the time if he is a sniper and can create his own shot?

Posted by: ChrisAm | November 8, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Corey:

But the (potentially) big news is Chris Clark, who is on the ice but is in an orange jersey. No one else is, so this could mean he is either a) a healthy scratch or b) injured. Typically, orange is reserved for injured guys.

When asked if he was a healthy scratch or injured, Clark replied, "I don't know yet. Talk to Bruce."

Posted by: CodePoetry | November 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Great to see Johnny get another start. But I tell you how things have changed in a year. Last year when we knew Johnny was getting the start I was always thinking damn not him again thats another blown game. Now a year later I want Johnny in net and when Jose gets the start Iam really holding my breath.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | November 8, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Actually Jose wasn't that bad recently as he was at the beginning...

Johnson is very good solid goalie technically, but what I am really scared is that he can break down mentally any minute. I see it's the only reason why he never became a #1 in NHL. But time goes on, look at Osbad in Detroit, he is Osgood now.

Posted by: CodePoetry | November 8, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I really hope this isnt some disguise to "healthy scratch" Clark.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 8, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@SA-town
"He seems to be pissed he is not playing tonight. We dont need our Captain having issues with the coach."

Good. Let him sit and be pissed for a game or two. Let him worry that Fehr is taking his spot in the lineup. Maybe it'll motivate him enough that we see the old Clarkie when he finally does get back in.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 8, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Crap!! Suddenly a bunch of injuries! How long is Feds out?

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | November 8, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Thanks for adding to the sexy lumberjack imagry! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 8, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2

i'll explain why he's too injured for hershey and not for the caps (even tho he said he expected to come back and play with the bears before being called up)

THE CAPS ARE THE FRIKEN NHL! you don't turn down the chance when you're given it.

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@caps fan387
I dont question Tyler's reasoning.... of course he likes the pay hike and better life style I wonder about the logic of bringing up damaged goods.Thanks for reminding me that the Caps are in NHL I was wondering about that.

Posted by: wendel2 | November 8, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Steve,
You can't get me again, I'm not falling for that "Erskine on the Wing" trick a second time....

....everyone knows he's a center!

Question to all,
I watched the Mike Smith fight on youtube earlier from the Rangers/Bolts game. If I remember correctly in our game in Calgary when Sloan was jumped after his clean hit the guy who jumped him got "2 for fighting with a visor on". Part of what added up to the 9 minute powerplay.
However, Smith wasn't penalised extra for fighting with his goalie mask on. Surely that's worse than fighting in a visor?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | November 8, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Dave:
I agree - center ALL the way!

RE: Smith, was he an instigator? If not, I don't think that penalty applies ...

Posted by: Boo- | November 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Boo!,
Smith got 2 for slashing, 2 for highsticks and 5 for fighting.

And if that rule doesn't apply for instigators how did the Calgary guy (whos name escapes me) get it. He was instigating, Sloan just lay on the ice curled up in a ball.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | November 8, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Dave:
I think it ONLY applies to instigators.

Posted by: Boo- | November 8, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Boo!,
Ok thanks :) I misread. As Smith didnt get called for instigating that's obviously why it wasn't applicable.

Still depressed from the Utd game early. Hoping the Caps can pick me up out of my funk.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | November 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh - didn't hear about that and Mr. Boo is gone until tomorrow, so I guess I won't get the skinny until then. :-( Anyway, sorry to hear it! Hopefully that Caps will rock the Rangers' world. It's gonna be tough - they have a great record and we have injuries, but I BELIEVE!! Go Caps!!! :-D

Posted by: Boo- | November 8, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Anyone got a pair of tickets for tonight's game? Turns out I can make it, so if you have a pair please let me know.

Posted by: goskinsgo | November 8, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Dave,

With Erskine at center (my bad, forgot he wasn't a natural winger), who has to sit?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 8, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

does anyone have a link to the game online?...stuck at work:(

Posted by: fullright | November 8, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Do you guys think Olie will start against us on Monday? (unlike Huet)

Posted by: rachel216 | November 8, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what channel the game is on Cox tonight?

Posted by: Yoshietree | November 8, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

yikes. its going to be an interesting night. best goalie in the league, and a team playing very well.

Posted by: oo7 | November 8, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

i heard from precap today kolzig is most likely going to play monday and washingtoncapitals, you have to remember johnny won 30 games with St. Louis a few years ago, he was a starter for at least two seasons there.

Posted by: andy19 | November 8, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

For AA/Howard County FiOS viewers, I think CSN+ can be found at QAM channel 122-4001. It looks like they just forgot to map it to channel 1 on the set top box. I'll report back closer to game time if it works.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | November 8, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to find the game on fios in montgomery cnty...

Posted by: oo7 | November 8, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

New thread. But tell me on the new thread whether you have a QAM tuner or not. Or if you even know if you have one.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | November 8, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

If they want me to support this team then they need to stop playing games. This "undisclosed injury" b.s is getting old. We watch on tv, we pay to get in, how about treating us like adults?

Posted by: MKadyman | November 8, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

MKady, as a FAN you want them to keep injuries undisclosed. this way the other teams don't take advantage of it. believe me they will.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 8, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse