Bruce Boudreau doesn't expect Brooks Laich to play before the weekend

Although Brooks Laich said he plans to take the morning skate tomorrow before deciding whether to play against the Senators, Coach Bruce Boudreau sounded less optimistic.

"There's a good chance he'll play by the weekend," Boudreau said. "He's a quick healer and very determined young man."

Here's more from Boudreau on Laich and touchy subject of visors.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 29, 2010; 1:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brooks Laich: 'My face just went numb'
Next: Alex Ovechkin: Potential Caps/Pens Winter Classic would 'be pretty fun'

Comments

Heal up Brooksie...this team needs your grit and hustle.

Posted by: emc7x | March 29, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

This could be another blessing in disguise. Laich is not the type of player who would sit out a game to rest for the playoffs. But a facial injury has given him over a week to rest his legs for the playoffs without him being hurt at all. Hopefully he will have even more energy than he normally has.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 29, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I think BB should suit up for the last game of the season. He is grandfathered in, he would not even have to wear a helmet, but then again his to one could reach him around that his gut, by his owns words "it's a big one"

Posted by: RichC3 | March 29, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

If a visor would make him feel less comfortable playing, then don't use it. If he thought he would be ok playing with it, then I recommend it.

If it's strictly Western Canada tough-guy upbringing, then why are there Americans/Europeans that don't wear them?

I suspect it has less to do with being a tough-guy, and more to do with how it affects their play. Vision (sight-lines), comfort etc.

Posted by: Fro_ | March 29, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Fro_ I think it has more to do with what age a player can remove there cage in the different countries and systems. I think juniors in Canada must were visors now so you will see more players with visors in the future. In the US you play with a full face protection until turning pro(unlike Canada(CHL) the USHL is not a pro-league) I could remove my cage at 17 and don't like wearing one in beer leagues 22 years later, even though I know it is dumb to play without at least a visor. It is not a tough guy issue, but what I am used to.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | March 29, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure visors are now mandatory in the AHL too. Over time, as more players get accustomed to visors in juniors and college and minor leagues, you'll see more NHLers wearing them too.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 29, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

After seeing some of the gruesome results of slapshots to the face in recent years I think the league should mandate full cages.

Players complained when the rule to wear helmets was instituted in 1979 and now no one in the world plays without a helmet. If the NHL grandfathers players that are playing Juniors and above now, or whenever it is mandated, and institute a birth year the players will be oblivious to it in no time. They all wear cages in Tier I youth hockey and NCAA anyway. Overseas leagues would change their rules so their fellow countrymen are not at a disadvantage having to get used to wearing a cage if they are shooting to get into the NHL.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 29, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1: agree, I would expect to see at least a visor rule in the next 5-10 years for the NHL.

BTW-> a mandatory visor could curtail fighting with the current visor-instigator rule.
"47.6 Face Protection - If a player penalized as an instigator of an altercation is wearing a face shield (including a goalkeeper), he shall be assessed an additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Should the player (including a goalkeeper) who instigates the fight be wearing a face shield, but removes it before instigating the altercation, the additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty shall not apply."

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | March 29, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

More reporting...less videos.

Posted by: jincargo | March 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Why the f does Mike Vogel (to Boudreau's left) always look so cheesy? I mean c'mon dude you're like 60 years old! Get a real haircut and lose the thumb ring that you wear

Posted by: gfsportsfan | March 29, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Helmets are enough, no need for a rule requiring full face cage/shield or visor. Unless you want to see guys dumping all head protection when they get in a fight.

Heck, I play in an adult league and I only wear a shield. My choice only because I do not want to lose an eye. I tried a bubble, thing fogged up too much, tried a cage and found it distracting as heck. Good grief, these kids are already like little knights. I watched a kids game the other day, full cage, helmet with ear covers, neck guard, giant shoulder pads, plastic covered elbow pads...good grief. I get wanting to keep people safe, but we are not going to remove all the risk from hockey. Maybe we should start putting soft padding around the boards? ;)

Posted by: overhead | March 29, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Did you catch Mike Vogel yawning there?

Posted by: Eler | March 29, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/32458-Justin-Bournes-Blog-Visors-must-be-made-mandatory-now.html - thought this was interesting read to come out the day everyone on this board is discussing visors

Posted by: malujoker | March 29, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Knuble doesn't wear a visor either, and he seems to have a new scar or scratch on his face every week. :) Maybe it's something about guys who plant themselves in front of the net a lot don't like wearing visors. I remember in the early visor days, reading some complaints about them fogging or attracting condensation, though I assume there are some sprays or wipes to combat that now.

Posted by: blackjack65 | March 29, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe memory-foam boards instead of wood?

This way players could ease into their concussions after getting their heads smashed into the glass.

Posted by: Fro_ | March 29, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

New Topic....Sidney Crosby lives in Mario Lemieux's basement...

........discuss.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 29, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

NICE VOGS!

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | March 29, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I think with the advent of composite sticks, where everyone and their dog are launching 110+MPH slapshots, that mandated protective equipment has lagged in development. Skates have only gotten thinner and lighter which is great for speed and maneuverability, but you see more and more players going down with sprains and broken feet. Pads don't articulate well enough leaving bare areas, and most pads are still just foam and plastic. I had high hopes for the M-11 concussion-proof helmet, but unfortunately it cannot withstand a blindside hit.

Posted by: sandyflee | March 29, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

mike vogel is totally creepy...and rude as it turns out. sorry your job is so boring dude....try accounting.

Posted by: jerseygirl15 | March 29, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse