Boudreau: 'Good Teams Do It Over Time' (Updated)

Here are some post-skate notes to get you ready for tonight's home opener against the revamped, more rugged Maple Leafs:

*Coach Bruce Boudreau said the key to the regular season will be getting an effort like Thursday's on a nightly basis and not allowing complacency to set in.

"The biggest thing we want to do is stay consistent and not make it a one game, 'Hey, look, we can play good for one game.' Good teams do it over time. That's what we want to do: do it over time and get the same effort today that we got the other day."

*One thing that also stood out in Thursday's victory was the practically perfect performance by the penalty kill, which eliminated all five shorthanded situations it faced. In fact, the Bruins mustered only one shot in 8:25 of power play time.

The key? The Caps won 70 percent of their faceoffs while shorthanded against the Bruins and forwards like Boyd Gordon and David Steckel were a tad more aggressive, particularly when the Bruins bobbled a pass.

Boudreau also said that experience is a big factor.

"I think we just got better at it," Boudreau said of the penalty kill, which ranked 17th last year. "The more video they see and the more the unit stays together, the more success they are going to have."

*Boudreau said he has no problem with Mike Knuble, the oldest players on the team, taking off morning skates.

"He's a 102 years old and he doesn't want to waste his body," Boudreau joked. "He's going to play a lot of hockey. And I asked him about this. If he didn't take them in Philadelphia and played all 82 games, we would like him to play all 82 games."

*The lineup appears to be the same as Thursdays. Semyon Varlamov will start in goal; Tyler Sloan, Jeff Schultz and Michael Nylander will be the scratches.

*Boudreau said he expects Eric Fehr to be back within a week. He also expects Tomas Fleischmann to be cleared to practice within 10 days. That's definitely bad news for Boyd Kane.

*Asked if he's worried about facing Colton Orr and a tougher Maple Leafs team without an enforcer, Boudreau said: "Nope. They're tougher but they have to play. I don't think our guys are going to be intimidated."

*Make sure to check out Matt Bradley's huge helmet tonight. You can't miss it. Trust me. The lid is made by Cascade and is designed to prevent concussions. Bradley doesn't have a history of head injuries, and he wants to keep it that way.

"I'm willing to give up a little looks for safety, I guess," Bradley said.

Bradley said he gets teased by his teammates because the helmet looks a different.

"I'm a big boy, so I can handle it," he said. "It's not like the other helmets look good on me anyways."

Update:Michael Nylander stayed on the ice for an extra hour today for a tough workout under the watchful eye of strength and conditioning coach Mark Nemish. Afterward, Nylander didn't want to say much about his awkward situation. But he did say that his position on accepting an assignment to another league has not changed.

"I want to stay here and play here," he said. "That's my goal. I saw something on the internet the other day that said I spoke to people in Russia. I have never spoken to anyone in Russia or Sweden."

"You're going to get the same answer from me every day," he added. "I can only control myself, do my work, stay in game shape. And be ready."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 3, 2009; 11:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Skate Update
Next: Tonight's Lineup: Maple Leafs at Caps

Comments

Caps are in FIRST place!

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 3, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Repost from previous thread:

Everything is hunky dory, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions and say that Theo redeemed himself. My grandma could've been playing in net for us in this game and the score would've been the same. Kessel-less Bruins looked pathetic on offense and were completely shut down by our D. Theo had absolutely nothing to do for the most part. He had maybe 1 tough save to make other than the one he didn't make (on the Bruins goal).

Posted by: ranndino | October 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Brads and Bouds are eminently quotable. So stoked for tonight. LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: CapsChick | October 3, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

BTW, it's pretty sweet for the Caps non-DC based fans to be able to watch tonight's game in HD as well. It's on NHL Network.

Also, I find it interesting that Chief and company were nowhere to be found after our dominating opener vs. one of the powerhouses of the East. I would venture a guess that they'll be back in force as soon as we lose to say, Atlanta.

Posted by: ranndino | October 3, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

the nice, quiet summer is officially over......rantdino is back

Posted by: doughless | October 3, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

A little harsh, Rann, I agree Theo didn't have much of a workload the final 2 periods, but he made some solid stops in the first when Boston came out with some jump. I do agree that the B's are really, really going to be hurting on offense without Kessel. They will still score some goals but it's hard to replace him especially knowing he was likely to only put up even more numbers with another year under his belt.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you I feel more comfortable with Theo in net over Varly at this point, but neither can I complain about his first game only letting in a goal on a clean breakaway from the opposing blue line.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | October 3, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I wish Bruce would send Kane back down, and recall "Sugar" Sugden. He is a beast!

Posted by: TrappedinGA | October 3, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Sold on what? Theo being a solid regular season goalie? He has been that for his whole career. We all know who is our goalie come playoffs.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Everytime i watch replays from Thursday's game, it makes me think more and more how Lucic is not that great of a hockey player. What he does, he does very well, but I think 20 goals may be his ceiling.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

So the countdown begins until the next bogus Nylander rumor...

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Hah! Nyls is not making the Caps' image any better by staying calm and repeating the same thing. While the Caps claim that a deal is in the works any day now, Nyls comes off as a saint by denying it and saying that all he wants to do is work hard and stay on the Caps team, though he is not being played.

I agree with BB. The big thing this team has to prove this year is consistency.

Posted by: caraveli | October 3, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Who ever said Lucic was going to be a great hockey player or put up more than 20 goals?

He's a physical presence with below average skill. I'd love to have him in a Caps uniform on a checking line. He's a great role player.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

You are also overanalyzing one game. Lucic is a far better player than what he showed on Thursday as are most Bruins players.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Tons and tons of people called him the next Cam Neely.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

You are also overanalyzing one game.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 12:43 PM |

No, I'm not.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

When did the Caps claim that a deal will be in the works any day now?

It sounds to me like you are inferring that and doing some wishful thinking.

The things I've heard are more along the lines of Bruce hoping something gets worked out.

The safer bet right now is that Nylander isn't going anywhere. It sucks but that's what it looks like. As long as he has that NTC, he is in full control. This latest comment makes it clear that he has no interest in going overseas. On top of that, there is no team in the league that likely wants him and his massive cap hit even if he is willing to go that team.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Show evidence of tons and tons of people comparing him to Cam Neely. There are always a few wild speculations about players being like other players, particular when the player being compared to was an all-time great from the same organization. No educated Bruins fan really believes Lucic is the next Neely.

Almost everything I've ever read about Lucic pretty accurately describes his game and his potential. Once again, I'd love to have him in a Caps uniform on a checking line. He is an outstanding physical presence with above average skill for his role.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Are people forgetting the last game Varly played in VC?

Posted by: TottenhamCaps | October 3, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

What, do you live under a rock? The Neely/Lucic comparison has been incessant since the playoffs two years ago. Google it.

He ain't the next Neely, so just leave it at that.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

He is also on the first line. Doesn't seem like Bruins management views him as just a checker with above average skills. You don't get first line minutes with the management only expecting 20 goals from you.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

With that current Bruins offense... yes. Mike Knuble isn't much more than a 20 goal scorer, either, and he was projected to be our first line RW even if that has yet to happen.

The media makes sensational comparisons all the time and veteran players will often feed that hype when praising younger players. Plus, Lucic is a very good player. He's no Neely but he has plenty of potential. Nobody knows how good he will be in the future. He is certainly better than he showed the other night which was your basis for saying he isn't all that great.

"Everytime i watch replays from Thursday's game, it makes me think more and more how Lucic is not that great of a hockey player."

That statement right there is the epitome of reading too much into one game.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

What, do you believe everything the media says in this day and age?

You might as well live under a rock if so...

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Uhh..no it's carried over from whenever Lucic plays on the 1st line. He needs to be on the 2nd or 3rd, any Bruins fans will tell you that. He's not a top-3 forward right now.
My basis for saying something about Lucic was exemplified by thursday's game, not defined by. IE; "more and more"

Knuble was projected at 30 goals, and to bounce from the 1st and 2nd line. I am having trouble finding out what this has to do with anything right now. A 20 goal scorer and a 30 goal scorer are world's apart, especially when they aren't even the same type of player.

You are reading into this for no reason and arguing nothing. Lucic ain't the next Neely and should not get 1st line minutes. You agree. That's that.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

What, do you believe everything the media says in this day and age?

You might as well live under a rock if so...

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 1:18 PM |

Yes, I believe it.....That's why I am arguing that he is not the next Neely.

Great point, Frege. Let's move on to hockey social theories.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

A BIG thumbs' up to Michael Nylander.

McPhee and Bruce can spin it all they want. #92 has stated his position numerous times while being a consummate professional.

Hope he gets a true chance to play. I'm sure he's willing to play center or on the wing.

Posted by: puckman | October 3, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else excited to see Bardley's new conk protector. I'm imagining him to look like a 5yr old wearing his fathers helmet.

Seriously- I'm glad he's wearing it. At least I'll be able to see him on the ice from upstairs.

5hours to go!!! LETS GO CAPS

Posted by: TottenhamCaps | October 3, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Nylander is a true professional.

I guess I am going to BWW in Shockoe Bottom to watch the game(s). Unless other Richmonders are maybe meeting somewhere else? Figured I'd give it a shot.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to let you know the RSS feed for Capitals Insider is not working with my Google Reader. Not sure if other people are having the same problem, but when you click on the link from the reader it doesn't take you to the blog. Thanks.

Posted by: kez9a | October 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't see any reason why Lucic's ceiling should be 20 goals. While we agree that he isn't the next Neely and shouldn't ideally be on a 1st line, I don't see any reason why he couldn't develop into a Mike Knuble type in terms of offensive production. He's an exceptionally physical player with better hands than most players of his ilk.

He's only 21 and scored 17 goals in 72 games last season averaging under 15 mpg. He hasn't reached his ceiling and already proved to be a 20 goal scorer.

Once again, I'd love to have Lucic in a Caps uniform. I know that's irrelevant to our friendly debate but I am a fan of Lucic's game.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

How can you not like Lucic? I love Lucic. Everyone except Habs fans love Lucic.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 3, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I didn't mean to insinuate you didn't like him at all. I never meant to do anything but say that I thought you were selling Lucic a little short. I apologize for insinuating that you were overanalyzing one game.

However the Bruins end up using him, I can't imagine they'll let him get away unless his market value somehow gets overly inflated. If people keep trying to compare him to Neely, that may hurt the Bruins a little next time he becomes a UFA.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Good for brads. Too many players worry more about how they look in the mirror and not about what's best for their coconut.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 3, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Nylander needs to play in the top six to be effective. The only chance I see him playing if there is an opening on those lines (BMo insurance).

Posted by: ralCapsFan | October 3, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

tmac2yao:

It took me a while to dig out the last reference about Nyls' deal in progress. They have made several references that imply that something is in the works which, couple with the fact that he is not being played, makes it sound that it is just around the corner. Here the most recent reference I was referring to:

"It's well-documented that we're trying to do something. It's just in the process. We'll let the process play out. Whether it's Michael or the Washington Capitals or the fans, [nobody] wants to see this drag on. I don't think it's good for Michael and I don't think it's good for us. Hopefully the resolution comes rather quick."

Posted by: caraveli | October 3, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I know this has been discussed plenty in the past but just skimming over our cap situation for next year, it doesn't seem like it will be too difficult to re-sign both Backstrom and Semin even if they both end up with cap hits as high as $6 million each.

The assumption is that with Theo's contract off the books, Varlamov and Neuvirth will take over. There are also a few defensemen that can be replaced by a cheaper set of alterntaives.

Even if we can't find a taker for Nylander once his NMC expires, I don't think that will prevent us from re-signing both Backstrom and Semin.

I am not good with cap stuff though. Is there someting I'm missing?

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

I read all that stuff. I still don't take it as "a deal is right around the corner" as you implied earlier. I see it more as the same ongoing saga dating back to last season. They are simply "trying to do something." That is the "process" Boudreau is referring to.

Believe me, I want this to be resolved as much as you. I'm just tired of being disappointed and have come to accept this monkey on our back. As long as Nylander has that NMC, he is in the driver's seat.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I think the Caps should trade Nylander to Edmonton. In Northern Alberta, they have to be calling the Nylander situation "karma".

Posted by: Matt23185 | October 3, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@Matt23185

The karmic aspect of it would be if little Bourque somehow develops into a very good player with the Oilers one day.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Nyls seems to be class act man. I think BB eventually will have to play him - that is, because of injuries to others - and he will show his talent once again.
I don't blame GMGM nor Nyls for the situation, although on hindsight you can place the blame on GMGM for allowing a no trade clause, but if I could base everything on hindsight I will be a rich man. BB might be blameless too, but right now he seems like a hard arse for not giving Nyls a chance to compete.

Posted by: hock1 | October 3, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I just read the Mike Wise piece on "the goateed one" and was pleased to learn that the Caps players had the same reaction as I did at the end of game 7 of the SC finals where I just turned off the TV in disgust.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 3, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Are people forgetting the last game Varly played in VC?

Posted by: TottenhamCaps | October 3, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

No.. and your point is???

Posted by: joek443 | October 3, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I watched the Rangers game yesterday but I timed it so I didn't have to watch the banner being raised. BTW, Brashear got into it. Not looking forward to playing against him.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 3, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

It was either my crystal ball, or a *quote from the head coach*, that told me Varlamov and Theo wil ~split the first 50 starts. Then someone will seize the top spot. Talk of "redemption" and "pulling" Theo after a good outing in Boston makes little sense.

Posted by: redlineblue | October 3, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

in the beginning I was inclined to give GMGM and BB the benefit of the doubt on the whole Nylander fiasco but I'm not so sure anymore. unless Nyls' skills have so deteriorated that he can't even play on the fourth line, I don't see how he can't even get in early regular season games, not to mention any preseason games.

this seems to be getting more and more personal. someone needs to find out what is really going on behind the scene and get to the bottom of it. the only explanation that we keep hearing, "he doesn't fit in the system" is just laughable. I'm sure Nylander has played in more than just one "system" in his long hockey career.

Posted by: joek443 | October 3, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

You know that's the funny thing about this, Nyls was on record as saying he'd go to Edmonton when he reported to camp. You mean to tell me GMGM can't get a deal done with Edmonton? This situation is just insane to me. I could care less who's right/wrong it needs to be resolved. Casualties are starting to mount because this situation isn't resolved (Bourque being the 1st one).

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 3, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it will be a problem re-signing Backstrom and Semin either, even if they both want/get somewhere in the $6 mil range. Some people saying otherwise are under the wrong impression about the size of raises that would be. It's a significant increase for Backstrom, but much less so for Semin. Theo's 4.5 will come off the books...if they somehow move Nylander as well you could be looking at extra room to sign another player.

This also ignores the obvious that we're going to have a bloated number of D men once Alzner and Carlson are in the mix. I was a little surprised we didn't move someone before the season started, I'm sure eventually someone is going to get let go. Depending on how confident the team becomes in Varly/Neuvy over the course of the year, Theo might actually get moved at the trade deadline himself.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | October 3, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

I'm glad you are reserving your judgment of GMGM and BB... because quite frankly, your opinion makes a much sense as a paraplegic paratrooper.

It doesn't matter how good Nyls skills are. He is HORRIBLE fit on the 4th line. Why? Well, what is the role of the 4th line? To create energy and provide solid defense. Nyls is neither of those. His skill set is vision, puck control, and puck movement, with a great ability to slow the game down.

Problem is, under the BB system, the offensive guys are now unleashed to be creative and exploit their speed and transition game. Nyls kills that when he sets up.

Yes, he has skills.. but he's not a good fit for the current team and strategies. Same reason Detroit had great scorers in their minor leagues, but didn't bring them up... because a top 6 doesn't fit on the 4th line. So you wait for a spot where he's going to be, and make the team more successful.

LOL @ Nyls on 4th line!!!

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | October 3, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Anyone remember Mark Kelso on the Buffalo bills? He had a big "pro cap" on his helmet. Looked weird on TV but, I think it helped extend his career.
Good for Bradley - smart move.

Posted by: marksman37 | October 3, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I hate to bring this back from two posts ago, but I kind of enjoy everyone's observations of annoyances and invention of lingo.

I said I was a leaner, but I think the reason I've never received a complaint is because I try to lower my head and sholders so those behind me can see over me. The only other thing I can think of is that the STH behind me is a leaner as well. I guess I'll ask him tonight if his view is obstructed.

Then there was talk about the bathroom lines which I thought was bizarre, the lower bathrooms having separate urinal lines and the uppers having one long one, I've never noticed this, but very rarely do I use the bathrooms.

So I say we continue to express our feelings about annoyances, maybe we can work it out. :-)

Posted by: Osfan092589 | October 3, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan

Assuming the following things...

1. Theo is gone after this season.
2. Semin and Backstrom are resigned for what amounts to $12 million in cap hit.
3. We can not find a taker for Nylander next year.

our highest-paid 6 players will have a combined cap hit of $35.163 million.

The Penguins highest-paid 6 players next season will have a combined cap hit of $33.875 million and that assumes they don't resign Gonchar.

That is about $1 million difference between our top 6 and their top 6. If they can keep their core together, so can we. Neither team will likely have any players with cap hits at or above $3 million beyond their top 6.

If we can move Nylander once his NMC expires, or sooner, that would make things even easier on us as far as resigning Backstrom and Semin. We also don't know what the cap limit will be next season. If we're lucky, it may go up a million or two even if that seems unlikely given the current state of the economy.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that the Caps will move Nylander when the NMC expires (if not sooner). I doubt if even Nylander would want to be here for two years as a healthy scratch.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Call me crazy but I just want to see Nyls play already! He is OBVIOUSLY not going anywhere since that and the fact that he has been training his butt off are the only two consistent things that have actually been verified. I'm sick of the back and forth and am ready to just have it settled. If he's sticking around let him start working and proving to us that he's worth the dough! Enough! Basta!

As for leaners, I am by nature a leaner but I actually put a lot of effort into not leaning :)

What I can't stand are people who go to games but seem specifically inclined to talk about every subject except the game in front of them!! Granted that hasn't happened as much in recent years because people actually care about the game but I used to get soooo annoyed when suits would show up having gotten tickets from their company or whatever and then force me to listen about their miserable lives.... I paid for the hockey game, thats what I came for and that's what I'd like to hear

Oh right.. that and parents who give me evil looks when I swear. It's not like I'm throwing around the F-bomb constantly but I respond passionately to my hockey. Not to sound completely insensitive but its a freakin hockey game. If you don't want them to hear swear words or watch fighting, stay at home with the wiggles! I went as a kid and I turned out ok, right?

Posted by: mrszilla | October 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I believe some other contracts expire besides Theodore's after this year. Pothier for one. (So what will the Caps do, let Pothier walk and let the younger D-man have the job?) Pothier's a great classy veteran (and, for that matter, so it Poti) but, sooner or later, we'll need to make room for the prospects at D. I figure Alzner's about ready but is better off getting top line minutes in Hershey than being a healthy scratch half the time. Carlson may be ready by next year. (I did notice Alzner and Carlson were paired up a lot in preseason so they'll now get a chance to work together a lot.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 3, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

There weren't a large number of fans at the morning skate today. I actually got a fair number of autographs afterwards. (Oisk, Semin, Green, Theodore). Ovi had popped his head out, signed a few, and went back inside Kettler, promising he'd be back.

Several fans took pictures of Semin with Ovi's dad. (Gee, Mikhail Vikorovich, do you feel you've acquired another son?)

A couple of fans had driven all the way from Toronto, caught the Caps morning skate today. Wonder if they're going to tonight's game.

It's ironic, I attended the Caps convention last week and managed to acquire more current Caps autographs today.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 3, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

Pothier ($2.5 mil cap hit), Morrisonn ($1.975), Jurcina ($1.375) and Sloan ($0.64) are all UFAs after this season. Schultz ($0.715) will be an RFA.

Among key forwards, Morrison ($1.5) and Steckel ($0.725) will be UFAs while Semin ($4.6), Backstrom ($2.4), Fehr ($7.72), Fleischmann ($0.725) and Gordon ($0.761) will be RFAs.

Neuvirth ($0.85) will be an RFA. He doesn't currently count against the cap obviously.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Re: salary cap and re-signing players...

The cap could be quite a bit lower next season than this year. The player's invoked their right (as per the CBA) to have a 5% increase in the cap for 2009-10. If they hadn't made that decision, the cap would have fallen thus creating a lot more cap trouble for all teams in the current season. So, while I think the Caps will not let Semin and Backstrom slip away, it will be interesting to see how their much larger contracts will impact thier ability to fill the remaining spaces on the roster if the cap falls by several million dollars.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 3, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, MetalCapsFan. I wasn't aware of that 5% invocation.

If the cap limit does drop several million, we will obviously be only one of many teams feeling the pinch.

Posted by: tmac2yao | October 3, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Lets go CAPS rock the Red!!!!
Glad the game is not of Versus.

I think CB was a scratch in the Pens game last nite.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 3, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Exactly how is Nylander a "true professional"? Wouldn't a "true professional" be able to score points when he is put on the ice? Or earn the money that he is being paid? Or put the team's needs above his own selfish ego? Without knowing what has transpired between MN and Caps management, it is difficult to judge who is right and who is wrong. But, it seems pretty clear to me that, for whatever reason, Mr. Nylander is not earning his paycheck and hasn't for most the time he's been here. A "true professional" would get the heck out of town now that it has becoming obvious that he is incapable of doing the job he was hired to do.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | October 4, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

As "Capitals Insider" can you please find out what is really going on with Nyles and report back to us. It's your job.

Posted by: BarraPuta | October 4, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@ BarraPuta: I think Tarik knows his job better than you do. You sound as bad as a spoiled rich girl asking why her parents can't give her breast implants for Christmas.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 5, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse