Boudreau: 'I Like Olie'

As I mentioned in the previous post, Shaone Morrisonn and Sergei Fedorov did not practice today. They are "questionable" for tomorrow's game against Tampa Bay, while Chris Clark, who did skate, is "possible".

Asked how hopeful he is that Morrisonn and/or Fedorov will be able to play, Boudreau said: "I would look at Wednesday."

The other players who didn't skate are just resting, Boudreau said.

But the storyline for tomorrow's game, as well all know, won't be who plays and who doesn't for the Caps. It's going to be who is between the pipes for the Lightning: former Cap Olie Kolzig.

With Mike Smith having started the past four games for the 'Bolts, it appears Kolzig will get the nod against the Caps, the team where he starred the past decade.

There's going to be a video tribute to Kolzig in the first period, I'm told.

"I like Olie, I think we all like Olie, and the people in Washington love Olie and rightfully so," Boudreau said. "But when the puck drops, I hope we score more against them than than they score against us."

"I hope if he's starting [the fans] give him the round of applause I think he deserves and the recognition he deserves," he added. "But when the puck drops, it's our team versus their team, and we want to win."

Boudreau also said it's likely that Brent Johnson (2.12 goals against and .929 save percentage) will get his fourth straight start against the 'Bolts and his good friend. I wouldn't be surprised if the former teammates catch up at some point tonight after the Lightning arrive from Philly.

I didn't get a chance to talk to Johnson, who didn't practice. I did, however, see his new mask. It's red, white and blue with the Capitol on the forehead, the Lincoln Memorial on one side and Iwo Jima Memorial on the other. It also bears the names of his father, Robert Johnson, and grandfather, Sid Abel. (Jose Theodore's new mask has also arrived, but the equipment guys are waiting for the proper padding, I'm told).

As for Kolzig, he seems to be doing just fine as Smith's backup. He's 1-1-1 with a 2.67 goals against average and a .925 save percentage. Tomorrow, he'll also be joined on the ice by two other former Caps, Matt Pettinger and Steve Eminger, who was dealt to the 'Bolts on Friday. (Jeff Halpern is hurt.)

That's it from me today. Mike Wise talked to Kolzig and is writing a column for tomorrow's paper. I'll check in from the morning skate.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 9, 2008; 11:58 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Morning Update
Next: Poll: Kolzig vs. Caps

Comments

Hi Tarik,

Thanks for covering the optional Sunday morning practice. That's what I call going above and beyond!

A few weeks ago, I posted a question about Brian Pothier. How's he doing in his recovery? Does he think he'll be able to play hockey again?

I'm most concerned about Brian just being able to get back to living a normal life. If Brian's able to rejoin the team, it would be one of the great stories of the year.

Posted by: Terptwin | November 9, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I talked to Brian earlier this week. He had just returned from seeing a specialist in Denver. There are still many questions as to what exactly is causing his dizzy spells.

He's not anywhere close to be ready to get back on the ice.

Posted by: el_bashir | November 9, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@Terptwin: I really, really doubt that he'll ever get back on the ice. I really doubt it. It's sad, but ... the man's got a family, and that is more important. Even if he does come back, what happens the next time he gets crushed like that? He's a husband and father, and he's got to keep himself healthy for his kids' sake.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 9, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad that BB thinks cheers for Olie are in order and that the Caps intend to do a video tribute. I, for one, will glading cheer for him - I would even join in on a standing O and a good ol' Olie chant. But having said that, I will also cheer every time the Caps score. Olie deserves a lot of respect from the Caps, the fans and DC, but at the end of the day, the Caps are my team. It will be bittersweet ...

Posted by: Boo- | November 9, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

it seems to me that when a goalie is playing an old team, the O has an advantage over the goalie. the goalie might know set plays, however, knowing the goalie's positioning and timing seems a bigger advantage as not every play is set. i am surprised they timed it this way.

if comcast made it so u couldn't see the game, for some reason the nhl has also not placed the game in its video highlights section. the other games of the night are available online.

Posted by: am_jim | November 9, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow will be very interesting and fun!! I think we could score 4 on Olie. It'll be bittersweet, cause I still love Olie and he's done so much for us but of course I want the Caps to win. GO CAPS!!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 9, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

HI TARIK!! :D Does Tarik read people's comments???

Posted by: rachel216 | November 9, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Transported from an older post about Therrien's reply to Semin's comments about Crosby (just to get some juice back into this blog for now):

The more trash talking there is in hockey the better it is for the league. This is what gets fans excited, not polite interviews full of cliches "we respect their team, we have to go to the net..." blah, blah... zzzzzz.

Objectively, I think that anyone who understands hockey will say that Crosby is a great player. There's nothing wrong with recognizing talent on another team and having respect for it. Then again, it's also true that he does gets a lot of secondary assists.

Then again so does everyone in this league. The NHL pads players' stats and has been doing it for ages. You've just noticed?

The reason assist stats and point totals were relatively low in the Russian Superliga (just look at the stats of any NHL superstar who played there) is because you'd only get an assist when you ACTUALLY ASSISTED on a goal. I know that's a novel idea to North American fans, but it means that you'd only get credit for an assist when your intention to setup someone for a goal was clearly visible. That is when your great pass resulted in a sweet setup for a goal (which is why most goals only got 1 assist).

In North America if you're standing in your own zone and the puck happens to bounce off your ass, hits the boards, then bounces off another teammates' ass to a teammate who makes a great individual rush and scores a goal you get an assist (pun intended).

Posted by: ranndino | November 9, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@am_jim: check out tsn.ca, they usually have good highlights and the caps game is on there.

Posted by: hockeydoc | November 9, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Any videos online of any Ovie's hits last night?

Posted by: MNMNT | November 9, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Robert Johnson is Theodore's father? Well, he needs to get himself down to the crossroads STAT!

Posted by: aybee27 | November 9, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Ovie scores five tonight.

...I can dream, can't I?

Posted by: Murshawursha | November 9, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Erm, tomorrow... I know what day it is, I swear.

Posted by: Murshawursha | November 9, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Johnson vs. Kolzig showdown. I would have honestly never seen this one coming.

And cheering for Olie before lighting him up (please?) has always been a given for me. I can't believe they're fans that think booing is appropriate.

Posted by: ratgurl46 | November 9, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@aybee

Robert Johnson is Johnny's father, hehe hence the same last name, he is not Theo's father

it's going to be a hard homecoming for Olie, well at least for me to watch him. I have his jersey and never wore another until Ovie was breaking all the records last yr. It's signed by him and pretty much everyone on the team the past couple yrs, and Halpern, Konowalchuck, Zubrus, Lang, Bondra, and "I Suck at life" Jagr. but other then the one bad #68 stain. I love my Olie jersey

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 9, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Hi Tarik,

Thanks for the update on Brian Pothier. Please let him know that many -- including myself -- extend their thoughts and prayers on a full recovery.

Best regards,

Posted by: Terptwin | November 9, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I have been weaaring 1 of my 2 OV jerseys all year, but tomorrow night I will join my wife and wear an Olie jersey. I was really hoping it would be Josie in net for us, seems like evry win now Olie passes another historic NHL goaltender in wins and Josie would have all but guarenteed a win for Kolzig. That said I really hope BB sticks to his guns and that Josie never sees a net outside of practice.

Posted by: majiksea | November 9, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I, too, appreciate the update on Pothier, and I hope they find what's wrong soon - not so that he can come back and play, but so that he knows what's wrong and whether it can be fixed or not. :( I truly feel bad for him and his family...

Posted by: irockthered | November 9, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | November 9, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the article.. it's kind of sad how everything ended with Olie, I hope he gets a warm reception at the game. I wish I could be there.

Posted by: diehardcapsfan | November 9, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@ MNMNT:

http://www.ovechkinfans.com has the hits, etc.

Posted by: rh71 | November 10, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Sure, applaud Olie before the game.

Then ... light him up like a Christmas tree. He's not a Capital anymore.

Posted by: Cerealman | November 10, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Cerealman,
Exactly. Nice to hear Olie had dinner with Brent Johnson last night but during the game, I hope he gets a sunburn on the back of his neck from Ovie lighting up that red light behind him all night.

We need to beat Tampa regardless of who is in goal for them.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | November 10, 2008 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Another day and another post about the Pens seriously can we not go a day without talking about them it looks so much like jealousy.

Posted by: cocorules | November 10, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

If Boudreau really liked Olie, Olie would still be here. For all the good that Boudreau has done with this team, the one thing he totally botched was the handling of the goaltenders, and Olie specifically. Boudreau hung his hat on Huet.

Sorry folks, but 15 years as a full season ticket holder and you form some allegences to players. I hope Olie makes the Caps pay for their shoddy treatment of him.

Posted by: raymitten | November 10, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Boudreau had nothing personal against Olie. Boudreau's job as a coach is to win. Olie was playing like Theodore is playing now. Huet gave us a better chance to win at the end of last season and Brent Johnson is giving us a better chance to win now. In both cases Boudreau has handled the goalies appropriately. He has to be professional and not let emotions get in the way like some of the fans do. Also, the results speak for themselves. BB miraculously got us into the playoffs last year riding Huet down the stretch so he did everything 100% correctly.

Posted by: ranndino | November 10, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse