Boudreau: "I think Crosby is unbelievable"

Live from HSBC Arena ...

Looks like Jose Theodore will get the nod in net tonight. But there's a little more to the story than just that. Coach Bruce Boudreau said before the morning skate that Brent Johnson was "scheduled to start." Johnson, however, said after the skate that he's not playing. Something similar happened against Nashville on Tuesday. Neither Boudreau nor Johnson would say whether Johnson is nursing an injury, but if you read between the lines ...

Other stuff of interest:

*Defenseman Mike Green still is struggling with a sore foot, which he suffered while blocking a shot earlier this week. Today he seemed to be struggling with it a little more than before. A couple of times during the morning skate, he had to go to the dressing room for attention. Green said afterward that he's fine and doesn't feel it much once he's on the ice. So I guess we'll see.

*Boudreau had two young guests at today's practice. The boys won a meet-and-greet with the Capitals at Boudreau's summer ice hockey camp in St. Catherines, Ont., which is just on the other side of the border.

The two boys got to ride the team bus to the arena, hang out in the dressing room with the players as they got dressed and then stand on the bench for the morning skate.

"It's had the effect I wanted," Boudreau said. "They're pretty awestruck."

"When I made the announcement [of the winners this summer] I was crying," Boudreau added. "Because as a Toronto boy growing up, I never got to meet anybody. I saw Johnny Bower from afar once. If I had got a chance to be in the dressing room and meet the players, I would have had conniption."

*I asked Bruce Boudreau if he had any thoughts on Alexander Semin's comments about Sidney Crosby. In case you it, here are the controversial comments again.

"I thought that was the biggest comment I've seen from him in three years," Boudreau said. "I'm just glad to see he's talking. Obviously, you don't want top give anybody [bulletin board] stuff. But he said it. If it might mean he's coming out of his shell a little bit, then good for him."

"Not good for him that those comments were made," he added. "I think Crosby is unbelievable. I think he is a great player and all of those things. But it was also through an interpreter, so it could have been taken out of context. Somehow. It could have had a different meaning. Obviously, I didn't talk to him about it. But if it was what he said, then it's interesting to finally see how he thinks. We would never had known that in former years."

"But it's not how all the Capitals think of Mr. Crosby."

For the record, I gave Semin a chance to talk about it. He said with smirk, "No" and walked off.

*Tim Connolly is back in the lineup for the Sabres, who have dropped three straight (0-2-1). One of the league's best stickhandlers, he injured his back in the preseason. Meantime, Craig Rivet (knee), Jochen Hecht (finger) are out.

That should cover it for now. If anything changes before face off, I'll post an update.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 1, 2008; 12:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau Inks Book Deal
Next: Tonight's Lineup In Buffalo

Comments

The Hockey INterview of the YEAR! Alexander Semin calls out Crosby, NHL marketing, dump and chase as oppossed to beautiful hockey and Ovie and Semin racing cars at 160MPH at 1AM.

Love ya Semin, be careful though..

Go Devils!

Posted by: ArcherofStars73 | November 1, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik

What is up with the chats on fridays?

Posted by: capsfan01111 | November 1, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! Semin is feeling it this year. His cockiness is sure sign of an incredible year. Instead of the media concentrating on Malkin vs. Crysbaby for MVP as teammates, it's gonna be Semin vs. OV. OV is away and Semin is filling in a leadership role. You gotta know that Federov has been inspiring Semin to be more confident and vocal.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 1, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Bad on Bouds for downplaying Semin's comments. He has a right to say what he thinks. He called it right. This Cindy Crosbytch thing is way too much. Just watch a Pens game on TV. You'd swear there's only one player on the ice. I think Mike 'Doc' Emrick is in love with Cindy as many times as he mentions her name. The announcers must get paid a bonus each time they say it. It's really annoying. And, lest we all worry -- even though he's hurt, they'll all find a way to tie his name to whatever conversations they're having. Good for you Alexander! Bruce -- you just need to back your guys up, dude!

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | November 1, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Archer:
Go Devils?!?!?

Puckdawg:
I don't think BB didn't back him up, in fact he praised him for speaking out; he just didn't agree with him. Keep in mind, BB is an ambassador of the sport, he probably is not going to say anything too controversial. Regardless, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Super:
You have to request that they delete your account so you can rebuild it. I requested it a week or so ago, they responded back and said it was taken care of, but it was not. :-( I emailed them again but have not heard back yet. Others have been able to do so, though. Good luck!

Posted by: Boo- | November 1, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, coaches really believe in the bulletin board stuff. The thing about Semin is he just doesn't care, so he speaks his mind. It's not like Crosby is going to check him or hurt him or anything

Posted by: Leeguru | November 1, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

They did fix it Boo

You need to toss your cookies
From all of your browsers.

I cleared Firefox and was back to austinsteve

I used IE by accident and was TXGuy again

Posted by: austinsteve | November 1, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey Boo, what's today's topic? We've already covered Brash, Laing and Erskine. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 1, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if there's a Hershey call-up for the backup goalie spot in the future.

Posted by: Section117 | November 1, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@Boo-

Of course Go Devils! They're playing Atlanta tonight. (and they're my other favorite team....)

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | November 1, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I think alot of people/specially pens fans got all up tight over his comments. I think he is 100% right about his comments. He is a great player, that the league is putting on a higher level than he really is. Do other players have better talents YES. Is he a good hockey god - no.

He might be a leader of the pens, glad he is there and not here.I don't think there is enough room in TEDS house for him to live.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 1, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

uh I think the 160 he OV were driving was 160 kilometers per hour not miles per hour

Posted by: billd2 | November 1, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

also, they may want to talk with Dany Heatley about that racing stuff

Posted by: billd2 | November 1, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys know that Kris Beech is playing in Sweden? I'm watching Luleå vs. Timrå online, and during the intermission report there was a Kris Beech highlight reel of him potting two for HV 71. Interesting.

Posted by: _jordan | November 1, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Verizon FiOS carries CSN+? I'd like to watch the game tonight, but can't find it in the listings. The CSN website says that it's not available, but I can't believe that's really the case.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | November 1, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Most of you people are simply unbelievable. For years, Sasha Semin has been on your dirt list. "Boo, Alex Semin. He's a bum. This & that." Now, all of a sudden he's your boy. His waste don't stink. He's the man!
Quite frankly, I find this sudden "Group acceptance" to be both nauseating AND disgusting at best. I guess it's just one more example of the mob mentality the majority of you adhere to. So sad.
But, I do understand. Most of you have about as much understanding and comprehension of the subtle, finer points of hockey as a dead rock would have. Furthermore, You're biased as hell. Which is ignorance in it's purest form. It's for those reasons ( among others ) that I've chosen to enlighten the masses on an extremely limited basis. Truth be told, most of you are light years behind me as far as comprehension of the game is concerned. So, when I tell you ( 2 1/2 years ago ) that Olie Kolzig is FINISHED ------ that was my very 1st comment ) the majority of you became resentful. When I told you that Kozlov,and Pothier were not the kinds of players capable of bringing D.C. a Cup,---- more outrage. When I predicted stardom ( It'll come ) for Flash, many laughed. Recently, when I foretold of Osala and Perrault's impending ascension, most said, "Who?"
The fact of the matter is that Puckguru has been so very SPOT ON so consistently that many despise me for it. Which is further indication of that mob deficiency, and inferiority complex most of you suffer from. Tis a pity.
So, be advised that Puckguru continues doing his homework. And, currently is probably only 2 or 3 light years ahead of most. But, that's why he's EARNED THE NAME "Guru." Because, he most certainly is one. Peace be to all. Happy Holidays!!

Posted by: Puckguru | November 1, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

How does Puckguru find time to blog between his jobs as astronaut, brain surgeon, and mentor to Bill Gates? Wow!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | November 1, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow Tarik, linking to the TSN story and not the original interview on Puck Daddy blog? Nice.

Is it washington post policy to never acknowledge the existence of anything blog related, even from a "legitimate" media source such as yahoo? Just curious.

Because it seems like denial. The stubbornness is breathtaking.

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 1, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Semin is right!! cindy crosby is nothing special!!!!!! :D

Posted by: rachel216 | November 1, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, Boo has been called out by puckguru! Apparently he's not afraid to pick on girls anymore - I am honored to be his next target! Unfortunately his memory is sadly flawed so his comments do not warrant a response. But they are amusing, nonetheless!

Austinsteve:
I tried that, but my email address is still registered, so I can't change anything. :-( BTW, I don't think anyone has told me to 'toss my cookies' before ... ;-)

DevilsCapsGal:
I hear ya, but I still can't go there!! :-)

Steve:
Hmm ... how about Erskine is not the next one to become a forward, but Green is. His defensive play is going to continue to suffer and, after a series of offensive line injuries, he will be put on the wing by the new year. Go!

Posted by: Boo- | November 1, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I can name three players, no five, right off the top of my head who Crisby fits into THEIR skill category. Ok, SidCris is not the @$$hole, crybaby most in DC portray him to be but yes, he is no Ovechkin baby!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | November 1, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh look, a puffed up piece of &#$t showed up and deigned to take a dump on Tarik's blog. Don't we all feel enlightened, now? 9.9

I'm not even going to waste my time feeding the troll. Let him bleat.

LET'S GO CAPS!

And as for Semin ... gotta love his balls. Not sure I like his 'tude, but I'll give him credit for candor.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 1, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh look,I think hockey season on this blog has finally officially begun!

Posted by: austinsteve | November 1, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve:
You can say that again!!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 1, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Kind of funny that pretty much every Canadian paper/outlet reported Semin's remarks in today's editions -- or in yesterday's (TSN, etc.) But they weren't in the Washington Post!

Posted by: baddabing1 | November 1, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

As Canadian media, TSN cut and pasted the most titillating comments from the Puck Duddy interview (out of context), inserted their own innuendo in-between, and slapped a provactive title on their creation.

It would have been more fair to link to the original interview instead of the TSN piece: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-chats-with-Alex-Semin-about-Ovie-Cro?urn=nhl,118770

...even if everyone has seen it by now.

Posted by: JillC | November 1, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

ANyon know where the game is on FIOS? I only see something for Monday Nov 3rd at 1130 am...

Posted by: oo7 | November 1, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone in Comcast land tell me what channel the Caps game is on? I can't find it ... thanks!

Posted by: Boo- | November 1, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

JIIC, thanks for the link. It was a great interview with some great and honest quotes from what I think is one of the best players in the league. I am glad you posted the link, Tarik's link is so biased you can come out with a complete different outlook of Semin.

Puckguru, you are right when you said: "For years, Sasha Semin has been on your dirt list."

Semin you better watch it, some people believe hypocrisy is better than honesty.

Posted by: x1232 | November 1, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Comcast in Anne Arundel County will air the Caps game tonight? If so, on which channel? The only thing I've found going through the whole menu is the damned Wizards on CSN. Would appreciate any info you can pass on.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | November 1, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Give Semin some support for his blast on Crosby. Vote here:
www.sportsfanlive.com/web/poll?pollId=6772549

Posted by: newbusinessmodel | November 1, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I believe that CSN+ is on channel 8 (or somthing else between 1 and 8) on comcast in montgomery county. the channel is comcast news most of the day then is sometimes CSN+ and other times is a retirement channel.

Posted by: QuintenD | November 1, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

About the Friday chats, I have no control over whether I chat or not. Lately, I have not been asked to chat. Hopefully, the folks who make those decision will realize there is a demand for them and we can get 'em going again.

As for the link to the original Semin interview, we linked to the Puck Daddy article yesterday.

Posted by: el_bashir | November 1, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

oo7,
The game is on Fios channel 1 in Fairfax, so check there.

Posted by: _Mark | November 1, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Puckdawg and Boo, check CSPAN2 or MASN2 around game time. That's where Comcast used to do CSN+. For AA County, it says 21.

Anyone know about CSN+ location on FiOS? This is my first weekend with FiOS. I do have an AM radio set up just in case, but I'd prefer to be able to see what's going on.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | November 1, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@billd2
Your Heatley comment is the most ignorant one I have seen ever on this blog. Get a life you IGNORANT SOB.

Posted by: wendel2 | November 1, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

For Comcast in Arlington, the game is on Channel 77 - CSN+ (same station as MASN+)

Go Caps!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | November 1, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 1, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

"If anything changes"....??? Ummm....lineup posting maybe? Not trying to be rude, but isn't that usually the case before games?

As for Semin, good on him. He very well may end up having his head stapled to the glass by one of the Pens next time we're up there, but good on him nonetheless. Criesby is overrated, oversold and just plain rammed down everyone's throats. It gets incredibly old and I'm glad he brought it up.

Posted by: PothiersThumb | November 1, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Criesby is overrated, oversold and just plain rammed down everyone's throats

+1!

Amen to that.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 1, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Cool...thanks for info! I found CSN+ on Channel 21. Although the menu lists "Book Event", it turns out that it is actually SportsNight and that the game will be on at 7:00. I'll be able to check out our boys...GO CAPS!

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | November 1, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

GregAnnapolis,
Check Fios channel 1 for the game tonight.

Posted by: _Mark | November 1, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Semin--

You are just jealous! Crosby and your teammate and Geno (malkin) brought hockey back to one of the top 4 sports. So I would watch your mouth because I do not see your team going to the playoffs and Finals the past two years. Oh ya you made it last year because of a HURRICANE in CAROLINA and got lucky to get to 7 vs Philly. Don't talk about other players, it just shows how much of a little girl you really are. Keep putting up those points though, you are on my Fantasy team and I am a beatwriter for your whole team on ROTOWIRE.COM.

POINT IS LET'S GO PENS!

Posted by: brettjbaxter | November 1, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Look, Crosby is a very good player. There can't be any question. However, he's no Yzerman or Messier - not yet, maybe not ever. To me, it's more likely Ovechkin gets more Harts than Crosby over the years - but some of that of course has to do with the teams they each play on. The respective coaches and GMs of the two teams have about as much to do with the ability of the two players since they are close.

As for Semin, I ragged on him some last year and even invented the "Alexander Semin Hat Trick" - a goal, a stick foul and a giveaway that led to a scoring chance. Because, last year, it was true. He was undisciplined. He didn't like to get hit. Maybe though he turned a corner in the playoffs. He elevated his game for sure. Then you read the interview and he said the playoffs weren't games, they were a war. If he has come to understand that, it could be an epiphany for him. As for his comments, perhaps only he is doing as the younger generation does in entertainment and "dissing" his rival. He has elevated the stakes. Let's see if Crosby folds or calls. I like it now because Ovechkin is going after Malkin, and let's see Semin take on Crosby. Caps-Pens could be a war for the next ten years. Sure beats being a bottom feeder.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 1, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I wish CSN would get their crap together and push the damn switch that gives us Caps instead of basketball coverage on CSN+ already..

Posted by: _jordan | November 1, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

_Mark, I don't have a channel 1... any other ideas?

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | November 1, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

yay! semen has learned how to suck off caps fans, let's all celebrate!

Posted by: nhl3000 | November 2, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

"I asked Bruce Boudreau if he had any thoughts on Alexander Semin's comments about Sidney Crosby. In case you it, here are the controversial comments again."

Tarik, why would you link to TSN on this story, when you've met the guys responsible for the Semin interview?

Posted by: Gustafsson | November 3, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse