Boudreau keeps expectations for Carlson in check

Now that six Washington Capitals are nursing injuries with a four-games-in-six-nights stretch set to begin tomorrow at home against Montreal, the big story of the day at KCI was the re-appearance of 2008 first-round pick John Carlson, called up from Hershey last night thanks to the bumps and bruises along the Capitals' blue line.

The 19-year-old made an impression on the organization when he made his professional debut last spring during the Bears' Calder Cup run, and followed it up by making himself a tough cut during this year's training camp. Carlson, listed at 6-foot-3, 210 pounds, has 10 points and is tied for the team lead with a +14 rating through 17 games with the Bears this season.

Carlson will likely be paired with Tom Poti when he plays his first NHL game tomorrow night, but Coach Bruce Boudreau wants to make sure Carlson -- and fans -- don't put too much stock into one game.

"It's not gonna make his career or break his career," said Boudreau. "If he's horrible, it's gonna make no difference. We still think the world of him. If he's great, we still think he's a first-year guy who has played one game. So I hope he doesn't lose any sleep over this."

The big question is why Carlson got the call-up over 2007 first-round pick Karl Alzner, who played 30 games with the Capitals last season. Alzner has just four points this season in Hershey, but is tied with Carlson with a +14 rating.

Boudreau said Carlson's right-handed shot played into the equation and that the salary cap may have been a factor, but he declined to elaborate.

"We love both of them; we wish we could get both of them up at some point," said Boudreau. "This was [Carlson's] turn ... It might have been [because of the salary cap], there might have been something in there, but I'm not the capologist, so I don't know."

I'll have more on Carlson, including assistant coach Bob Woods's take on his call-up in tomorrow's paper. Woods was Carlson's coach during his 16-game postseason run in Hershey.

Other news and notes:

* Captain Chris Clark and defenseman Mike Green got in a yelling and shoving match in the middle of practice. Soon thereafter, Boudreau sent Green off the ice before practice had ended. Once the locker room was opened to the media, Green had already left. I asked Clark about what happened and he responded, "Nothing, why?" with a smirk on his face.

When I asked Boudreau about it, he said Green leaving had nothing to do with the scuffle between him and Clark. "Green just wasn't feeling up to snuff. It's a pregame skate, so I sent him off." He said Green should be available tomorrow night.

* Back on the injury front, Boudreau revealed Alexander Semin has been placed on the IR retroactive to last Sunday, so you can definitely rule him out of this weekend's two games. Defenseman Shaone Morisonn came out on the ice for the beginning of practice, but left shortly thereafter. Boudreau said the team is taking it slow in regards to Morisonn since he was "in la la land" from a hit he took in Tuesday's game against the Rangers. Morisonn could return as early as Saturday, according to Boudreau. Milan Jurcina, who skated on his own before practice today, is also close to returning from a muscle pull in his leg. The Capitals are again taking a cautious approach, but Jurcina will also be on the road trip and is day to day.

* As for goaltender Jose Theodore and his ongoing personal issues, Boudreau had this to say: "Everybody knows what's been going on, and sometimes you go through a rough break mentally. He wants to play so well and he wants to work hard for the team, but sometimes everything adds up, and we said, 'Take a step back for a couple days. We still think you're a great goaltender, but there's things physically you're doing everything right, but sometimes you're drained mentally.' So we want him to take a couple days, get ready, and start again."

Theodore did participate in practice today and stayed out longer than both Semyon Varlamov and Michal Neuvirth taking shots from Matthieu Perreault and Jay Beagle. Judging from today's practice and McPhee's comments yesterday, it's safe to assume Varlamov and Neuvirth will split time between the net this weekend. Here's what Theo had to say after practice about his recent struggles on the ice:

"It's more about just getting back to being on top of making the details. I don't think it's anything technical, it's just being focused for 60 minutes and making key saves at the right time, the things I was doing earlier on."

* And finally, on a lighthearted note, I'm a Michigan alum, and with the big Michigan-Ohio State game coming up this weekend, I had to ask David Steckel, an Ohio State guy, if there was any wagering going on between him and new teammates Brendan Morrison and Mike Knuble, who both won a national championship for the Michigan hockey team. Steckel smiled and said he wished there was some money on the line, but the former Buckeye couldn't find any takers.

"I told them, 'I'm more than willing to bet you any amount of money,'" Steckel said to me. "They said, 'I don't think I can bet you this year.' Actually, it was the little guy."

He was referring to the 5-foot-11 Morrison. But it was when I revealed my Michigan ties that Steckel's true confidence showed.

"I'm more than willing to bet you any amount of money," he said. "I'll give you a zero-point spread."

For the record, the Wolverines are currently 12-point underdogs. Should I take him up on the offer?

By Mark Giannotto  |  November 19, 2009; 2:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps recall Carlson
Next: Morning roundup: Carlson makes his debut

Comments

_____________________

Well if you win...you definetely win.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking Green was saying Michigan would beat the spread and Clarkie tells him he's full of it.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Any chance I can get in on this action?

Posted by: Fro_ | November 19, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Green and Clark got into an argument about which was more important: accurate passing or accurate shooting.

. . .sorry, don't know what got into me. I love em both.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 19, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Clark called Green out on his fohawk.

"Go real, or go home!"

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I wonder what got Clarkie & Green into it?

Posted by: Iceman10 | November 19, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

clark was probably jealous of green's "awesome" tattoo's

Posted by: _stevo | November 19, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Clarkie and Greener were arguing over who was the biggest Twilight fan. According to the blog on GreenLife52.com, Mike can't wait for friday:

"Soooo stoked about New Moon! Think I'll just phone it in against Montreal then Lambo on over to the Hoffman Center.."

Clark just wants to make sure Mike's head is in the game.

Posted by: Tex21 | November 19, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Clark probably made fun of Green's scarves. I know I do.

Posted by: JD09 | November 19, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Defense shouldnt be listed anywhere near Mike Green profile.

Trade him for a big stay-at-home defenseman

Posted by: Nats1924 | November 19, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, Nats1924, lets just trade away one of the Norris finalists from last year....that makes a heck of a lot of sense.....

Posted by: PhilR | November 19, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Who knows what got into them - Clark's a pretty tough customer, and Green's built like a fullback; they're both tough guys playing a very physical, demanding sport, and I've never seen either one back down from anything. Clark was strong as hell even as a skinny teen-ager, I can't imagine what running into him now would feel like. Ow.

Posted by: govtimbo | November 19, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, from your sign on you probably don't know this....the Norris trophy is given to the top defenseman of the year...Green finsihed second I believe.....where do these people come from?!?!

Posted by: PhilR | November 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@ Steveo

LOL

Tribal tatoos were such a fad. They are about as uncool now as those heelie roller skate shoes.

Posted by: Unleash_The_Caps | November 19, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@govtimbo - Ok Green built like a fullback is probably the funniest thing I have read today.

Posted by: pkendrick | November 19, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Tarik, go for it...any given Saturday...

Posted by: soloman5000 | November 19, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Is Tarik a healthy scratch :-)? What's going on? Salary cap?

Posted by: CodePoetry | November 19, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Ouch! I just fell off my heelie roller skate shoes. These aren't cool anymore?

Here's my take on the Green / Clark set to...

Green needs to stop being a lazy passer.

There. That's it. I love 'em both but Green needs to stop being a lazy passer.

See everyone tomorrow at VC.

Posted by: saintex | November 19, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Unleash_The_Caps | November 19, 2009 2:57 PM |

Tribals have never been, and will never be cool.

Unless you are a Native living in the Sudan.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"Tribals have never been, and will never be cool."

That said- you ain't cool, unless you peein' your pants.

Posted by: Fro_ | November 19, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I would bet Steckel $1000 large he wont score a goal this weekend....

Posted by: SA-Town | November 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Is Tarik a healthy scratch :-)? What's going on? Salary cap?

Posted by: CodePoetry | November 19, 2009 3:02 PM

I heard he was going to Russia.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I am sure he is not going to lose any sleep, however, I can't vouch for the way the bloggers here would react - I am sure many of them would not only lose sleep but few more brain cells. LOL.

Posted by: hock1 | November 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

As long as he keeps winning face-offs and playing solid defense it doesn't matter to me if Steckel does not score...

Posted by: PhilR | November 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@govtimbo

Did you have some, hmm, experience with "running into Clark"?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | November 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"Tribals have never been, and will never be cool."

That said- you ain't cool, unless you peein' your pants."

@Fro_

"If peein' your pants is cool than I'm Miles Davis" LOL

Posted by: capsfan772 | November 19, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

PhilR - Agreed. Stecks has earned his spot in the lineup for the "less obvious" skills he poccesses. Great to have a player like him to compliment the goal-scorers we have - a balanced offense.

Posted by: gonchpup | November 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I was there and i heard after clark tapped one in he yelled "Clark Life 17"... they started jawing and then clarkie said "maybe if you spent as much time in your own zone as you do at Camelot..."

Posted by: carsonspence | November 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

clarklife17...

Posted by: carsonspence | November 19, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

its good that Clark got in Greenie's face. Sometimes the younger talent on this team gets a free pass, they need some strong veteran voices to check them back into place.

Carlson with Poti? I wonder which player will be the steadier influence

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 19, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

GO BLUE

TAKE THE POINTS

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 19, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

GangstaClark4Lfe17

Posted by: SA-Town | November 19, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

What is the deal with mike green. Don't get me wrong, I love his ability to rush the puck up the ice, he has a second gear that few D men bring to the game, but is their any denying that he coughs the puck up in our own end of the ice 3-5 times a game? Seems like he has had a penchant for doing this from the playoffs last year.

He is a great offensive defensman for our caps but he makes quite a few casual plays in our own end tat always seem to lead to quality scoring chances for the other teAm.

Would there ever be a scenario that had him at a wing position?

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | November 19, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope the move with Carlson was explained to Alzner. Alzner has seniority with the team, and he may not be happy about being passed over for the young guy. We don't want this to create an attitude problem with Alzner. If it is just a question of Alzner getting his shot last year and Carlson this year, that sounds reasonable. Given the difference in their styles of play, I don't think they are technically competing with each other. I'd like to see them both on the Caps blue line for the next 10 years.

Posted by: zmega | November 19, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

What! No one said anything about the Theo bombshell in Tarik's write-up (well, mini-bombshell in my opinion.

It was presented as if Theo had a personal emergency and asked for a few days off. It now looks like the coaching staff asked him to leave because they didn't think (bottom line) that he was playing well. According to Boudreau:

"...He wants to play so well and he wants to work hard for the team, but sometimes everything adds up, and we said, 'Take a step back for a couple days. We still think you're a great goaltender, but there's things physically you're doing everything right, but sometimes you're drained mentally.' It's more about just getting back to being on top of making the details. I don't think it's anything technical..."

Now Theo was already in New York. BB could have just played Varly. Instead, he sent Theo back and brought Neuvy. What, he didn't even trust him as a back up? I am surprised. I mean when he pulled him from the playoffs last year, he was still part of the team as Varly's back up.

I have never seen this done before, has anybody? Yes, you can talk all you want about his personal hardships but for a goalie to be told that he was deemed unable to maintain the focus and mental toughness that is expected on his level and had to pack and go home, I think it is a pretty dramatic move.

Just wonder what this means.

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli - I think you're reading too much into it. Probably it was a mutual decision, and Theo's cool with it.

Posted by: irockthered | November 19, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

zmega, i think alzner knows the deal. the team can have him due to the cap. i'm pretty sure that was explained to him when he was cut in training camp. that's why sloan has been up and not him. he's in this team's future, if not this year than next for sure.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 19, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Just wonder what this means.

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 3:56 PM

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | November 19, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I read the Theo news as lingering anxiety or depression over the loss of his child, which is rather understandable. Of course, who knows, really. Just wish him the best.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 19, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@SkinsFanInNYC -- I agree with most of that. I like Green, too, but he makes me nervous as H-E-double hockey sticks! He lost the puck right in front of our net during the other Devils game (I think it was) which resulted in an immediate goal. I just wish most bloggers would give the benefit of the doubt to Semin as much as they do to Green. We never hear the end of a mistake by Semin (but seem to forget the two goals and shootout goal from a couple of games before), yest Green gets a big pass -- not just by some bloggers, but by BB, too. Must be that Hershey advantage -- coddled in deep, dark chocolate.

Posted by: Steakum | November 19, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

(carried over from previous post thread)

StikSav: Backstrom's contract IS an entry-level. You can check the salary cap sites and you will see he only counts $850K and the rest is bonus cushion:

Don't feel bad - I make mistakes too.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 12:44 PM

I don't feel bad. But that's because I'm not wrong.

"When teams calculate how much room they have under the cap to add players, any potential bonuses that a player can earn must be included in the player's cap count."

And the "Performance Bonus Cushion" clause expired at the end of the 2007-08 season.

Posted by: StikSav | November 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I think that those calling for Green to be traded and a bit off, but there's little question that no one has been worse at connecting on his passes in the D zone. Green needs a few lessons from Schultz, who's been completely steady in that regard.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 19, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Remember, anyone who says the team should get rid of Green or Semin gets invited to join the Doofus Brigade. Those who want to get rid of both are officers and anyone also wishing to fire BB and McPhee becomes the colonel in charge.

Doofus Brigade - Onward!

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Clearly if Carlson isn't Rod Langway and Paul Coffey rolled into one tonight, the fans will demand a refund. :p I'm kidding... I hope...

Posted by: blackjack65 | November 19, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega | November 19, 2009 3:46 PM |

If Alzner develops an attitude because of this, I don't want him on the Caps.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Defense shouldnt be listed anywhere near Mike Green profile.

Trade him for a big stay-at-home defenseman

Posted by: Nats1924 | November 19, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

excellent post. can you name one stay-at-home defenseman that might be available for trade? sounds like it must be pretty easy to do that. and this just in, its not 1968 anymore. some dmen are valued for offensive skills as well as defensive abilities.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 19, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1 -- notwithstanding my recent observation on Greenie, I'm in complete agreement.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 19, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 19, 2009 4:12 PM |

Anton Volchenkov please...but not for Green. Get him to play WITH Green. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

(carried over from previous post thread)

Don't feel bad - I make mistakes too.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 12:44 PM

I don't feel bad. But that's because I'm not wrong.

Posted by: StikSav | November 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

sorry stiksav, there is a performance bonus cusion this year. a hard cap is expected in 2010-11 season. i think you are misinterpreting the verbage in the link or it is just old. go to capgeek.com and you will see how the bonus cusion works.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 19, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

caraveli

Posted by: MNMNT | November 19, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Would there ever be a scenario that had him at a wing position?

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | November 19, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

hell no

Posted by: joek443 | November 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

@MNMNT: why the hate? makes the board less pleasant.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 19, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

green is a headcase

Posted by: doughless | November 19, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

SkinsfaninNYC,

Green to wing? Scoring line right? The reason I ask is simple math. Put his 31 goals from last year on wing and that might be a +5 improvement to that position. And you replace his 31 goals on D with what two men? And his minutes drop from 25 to 20...

He has the potential to be one of the best offensive d-man of this generation, don't mess with a good thing.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 19, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Carlson needs a +2 and 2 assists and 6 hits, or I say we waive him...

Posted by: SA-Town | November 19, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@Steakum - Hmm. Mike Green... and deep dark chocolate? Yum! ;-)

No, seriously - don't let my daughter see that post. She'll drool and short out the keyboard, LOL!

Posted by: irockthered | November 19, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

BB will handle it. He always does.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 19, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 19, 2009 4:19 PM

You guys are freaking killing me. You are not correct. I'm going to give you the CBA citing and then I'm going to give up. Go ask McPhee, he'll tell you I am correct.

CBA provision 50.5(h)(iii)(A) states:

"For the 2009-10 League Year, all of the above-described Performance Bonuses that could be earned by the Players under SPCs with a Club shall be counted against such Club's Upper Limit for that League Year (with no opportunity for the Clubs to "carry over" any charges to their Upper Limit for the following League Year), unless the NHLPA declines to terminate this Agreement as of September 15, 2009, consistent with Section 3.1(b) of this Agreement, in which case accounting for the abovedescribed Performance Bonuses in the 2008-09 League Year shall be treated as set forth in paragraph (ii) above."

Posted by: StikSav | November 19, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"I think it means he had to go through the worst thing that can happen to a parent -the loss of a child - just before the start of the season and perhaps he really hadn't fully dealt with it emotionally when he had to start playing...My thoughts and prayers are with Theo and his family."

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | November 19, 2009 4:00 PM

I'm betting this is spot on. My guess is that training camp and the beginning of the season was a welcome mental and emotional distraction from the constant reminders of the tragedy but now that the season has settled in every emotion comes crashing down. I hope he takes all the time he and his family need and then comes back when he's completely ready.

Posted by: ouvan59 | November 19, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town, i'm going on record as saying carlson has done nothing to impress me since his call up. i'm sure even with a +2, 2 assists, 6 hits and driving the zamboni, there will be those who think he sucks...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 19, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Typically when professionals in any business let a disagreement turn into shouting/shoving, both participants have impeachable positions, and/or questionable credibility.

Also consider: Clark missed most of the last 2 seasons with injury, yet still remained captain somehow. This year, he also hasn't been bad, but hasn't really done anything notable either. Whereas Green's performance has fallen short of the level mandated by his salary and implied position, Clark's performance doesn't even come close to his salary nor does he appear to command respect as captain.

Thus: You can see how a disagreement between these two could escalate into something more substantial. Because both of them have impeachable positions. Green lacks credibility because he is so highly paid. Clark lacks credibility because (at least as far as any outsider can tell) he hasn't been much of a captain.

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I remember when Mark Giannotto use to wear a tooth brush costume and sweep home plate at Bowie Baysox games. Not to mention his superior sumo-wrestling abilities

Posted by: JohnJr1 | November 19, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnJr1 | November 19, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@LesGrossman

You're kidding right? They definetely did not get into it because of one's play nor did they get into it because of one's pay.

"You're not playing good defense, I'm going to shove you!"

"Well, you're not earning your paycheck, get off my team!"

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

One more thing I want to add: This team needs a captain who can say "This is my team. I am the core of what defines this team" and actually have the rest of the players (and the fans) believe it.

With Edmonton, that was interchangeable between Gretzky and Messier

In Detroit it was always Yzerman's team

Colorado was always Sakic's team.

This is not f-ing Chris Clark's team. Everyone can tell that Green is young and selfish. A captain that commands respect would be able to put him in his place and not need the coach to come do it for him.

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Les,

"Consider this: Green hasn't been bad this year, but certainly hasn't been worth the $5.2m he's being paid so far (operative phrase being "so far"; perhaps he will improve) this year and its obvious that he hasn't brought his "A game" 100% of the time this year."

Les, Greenie is averaging a point a game and is currently tied for 2nd in d-man scoring with 20 points. The league leader is one point ahead of him. What do you expect out of him for that 5.2m?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 19, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

lets face it. Green is a little full of himself with his Lamborghini and an attitude that is less than humble, while at the same time dropping pucks in front of the goal, something my 9 year old son, who plays defense, has learned not to do. I am guessing he displayed that attitude to Clark and Clark put him in his place.. Go Clark..

Posted by: jsandes | November 19, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I am also guessing that now that Clark is back on his game he feels more comfortable doing these things like a captain should

Posted by: jsandes | November 19, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

No I wasn't kidding. Green is impeachable as a $5 million man. Clark is impeachable as a captain.

What I meant was Green is good but isn't playing up to the $5m level.

Clark may be a slightly better than average 4th liner, but as a captain he's questionable (and for a 4th liner he's grossly over paid where as Green is marginally overpaid)

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

stiksav, the nhlpa declined to terminate the CBA in january it think. i'm no lawyer but by my reading, that means the carry over applies to next year. that would be consistent with what sites like capgeek and others have.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 19, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

It pains me to say this, but does anyone question that Pittsburgh is Crosby's team?

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

MNMNT
"we don't have time to spell everything out for you it seems everyone else seems to understand but you."

Oh I am so sorry. I forgot that bloggers don't really have time for idle chit-chat. I didn't mean to derail you from your important task of saving the world. Please ignore me and resume your work.

You are also assuming that there is something I am not getting, rather than that I have a different interpretation.

You and others are probably right about my reading too much into it. But there is also a chance that BB has lost confidence and does not want to cut him anymore slack. After all, Theo had almost identical problems last year before this tragic death. And he performed better than ever in the beginning of the season. I certainly wish him the best whatever is going on.

Wow! I didn't know that Clark had it in him to be that confrontational. Good for him. Maybe he was stepping up to the plate as a captain. This was a good one:

"maybe if you spent as much time in your own zone as you do at Camelot..."

Go Clarkie.

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

To jsandes:

I agree Green needs to be brought down to earth. Just by someone with more credibility than Clark.

T Steve_R

I agree, he has been good, but for $5 m, and based on what we saw last year and the year before, he should be better. I think that for he's paid his point mix should be more goals and less assists.

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

What I meant was Green is good but isn't playing up to the $5m level.

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 5:01 PM |

Neither of this has anything to do with the argument that happened. And if it did, then Clark and/or Green need to seriously re-check themselves.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, did Green just pop up in the whack a mole game? I guess Schultz is happy for the break.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | November 19, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 5:03 PM |

You must have some secret insider information on what goes on in the locker rooms. I've never seen this harsh criticism of Clark until now.

Clark did not keep his "C" during the injuries for nothing.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

#1 in the East, and on top of the usual scapegoat problems (Semin, Green, Schultz, Theo), it seems Clark's a horrible Captain as well!

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Depression/anxiety can be a debilitating medical condition and think this explains the vagueness of the Capitals' comments regarding his status. To say Theo isn't mentally tough enough is a pretty ignorant comment. The guy came to training camp on time, played fairly well, and now is dealing with issues that require him to be away from the team. I'd much rather see a player get whatever mental health treatment or time off he needs rather than have him travel with the team to be a body on the bench.

We've got two young goalies who both will have a chance to play over the weekend.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 19, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

did you just start watching hockey yesterday? he's a DEFENSEMAN

Posted by: joek443 | November 19, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Please Hockey God, let Pittsburgh lose tonight so they will not tie with us for first place.

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

You know, ovi is pretty good and all that, but should we be utilizing so much cap space for someone that only plays 2 out of every 3 games? Trade the lazy, turnover prone dude for C. Borque. I hear he's really good.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | November 19, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mikebrady1 | November 19, 2009 5:17 PM |

I agree.

Ovi does not make his paycheck. Trade the bum. I want to see 80 goals and 500 hits!

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

RE: did you just start watching hockey yesterday? he's a DEFENSEMAN

Yes he is. But the reason he gets paid so much is because he's supposed to score goals too.

I don't dispute that this team is putting together another great and exciting regular season. But the telltale signs are there that they haven't improved over last year as far as playoff competitiveness goes. There's nothing about this team that suggests that they'll be harder to shut down in the playoffs (from last year) or that they won't get run over again.

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

you can't expect your d-man to be a goal scorer no matter how good he is in offense... he is NOT gonna score 30 goals every year.

there have been only two d-men who could score over 40 goals in the NHL.. Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey

20 goals and about 50 assists are about max.

Posted by: joek443 | November 19, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 5:37 PM |

Why aren't you working for ESPN or TSN again?

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

LesGrossman--not sure where you are coming from. How can you possibly read so much innuendo into a fight about which we really have no details. Does every fight you have mean that you now have respect for that person. The Caps are Ovi's team. I don't think he needs to wear a C to make that point. He is a leader on the ice. Clark has age and maturity and also gained the C when Ovi was still a rookie.

And I disagree with you. They are both playing well. Clark has been getting assists and has been crashing the net and Green to my eye has been trying be more responsible defensively. He does't need another monster goal scoring year to be a success. He needs to be better at his two-way game and not get caught up in the offensive zone behind the net.

I think the team has the Cup on their mind. We never even would have heard about a squabble before. Boy have times changed.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 19, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Yawn, I found stalnycup1906 (or was it 07) to be a much more entertaining troll)

Posted by: mikebrady1 | November 19, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

And you clearly did not see them play the Rangers--the defense was disciplined. Indeed the team was consistent and disciplined.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 19, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

You must be a troll because I don't understand how you can believe that we were run over in the playoffs. Despite the misery of game 7 that series had some of the most entertaining and exciting games. Oh but you have to had watched the games. You must watching a different series.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 19, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

it would be great if Green can be the next Ray Bourque but he's not that good... I can live with him being the next Brian Leetch

Posted by: joek443 | November 19, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsyoungguns

I tend to agree. The news analysts also commented on how good the Caps defense was in this game.

In the beginning of the season I was frustrated because I could not see any signs of progress. Now I have to disagree with LesGrossman that the Caps "haven't improved over last year as far as playoff competitiveness goes."

I have serious concerns, especially about our defensive ability and our ability to crash opponents' nets, but I do see progress. I was especially impressed by our performance, consistency and increased discipline during Ovi's absence. And I see improved effectiveness on many individual players (Flash, Clark, Laing, Bradley, Laich to name a few).

I wonder if others think that we have made some improvement on our playoff competitiveness. (Unless of course, everyone is too busy with important business on the blog).

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

BTW I consider Ray Bourque to be the best defenseman in hockey of the last 30 years so there's no shame in not being as good as him.

Posted by: joek443 | November 19, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I love your term "Doofus Brigade" for the folks who want to trade Green and Semin. Very appropro.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

You might as well call him the second best ever, behind Orr.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope that the issue between Clark and Green has been worked out and is not permanent.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Good luck, Carlson!

Get well soon, Sasha.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I've had swine flu since Sunday. Let me just say it is horrible, unblelieveably awful. The Caps Insider and bloggers have been keeping me entertained, informed and somewhat sane for the past couple of days. But today, I noticed some trolls and just plain mean-spiritness crept in. Bummer. But thanks to all the humorists who keep me laughing in spite of the trolls/nastiness.

We need a game to focus on. Looking forward to tomorrow night. Anyone think it will be a walk in the park?

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 19, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LesGrossman | November 19, 2009 5:37 PM |

-------------------
You're entitled to your opinion, I disagree.... I guess your crystal ball looks different than mine. But run over? Really?

Posted by: Chad8 | November 19, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

@dccitizen1

I'm sorry you have (and still have) swine flu. Hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Well the great captions for that entertaining photo of an upended Avery must have kept you laughing. And I agree that we need a new thread and especially a new game.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 19, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

@TomInFla

Great analysis of the contract situation on the comparable guys to Semin. 6.2 million sounds like a good price for him.

What will happen?

1) He could sign a multi-year deal. This is a guy who doesn't really like change and is an introvert.

2) He may do the one year deal thing so he can keep options open and be an unrestricted FA.

3) He could get traded before the deadline if he and the Caps have made no progress in contract negotiations.

Option 3 will probably not happen unless the management is really unhappy with him and they think that they can get someone back in a trade who can help the Caps more.

Option 2 -- he could sign a one year deal with us or another team, either KHL or NHL. If he's reasonably happy, it would be with us. If management's opinion of his is as bad as certain writers/bloggers/posters have expressed, it will be elsewhere. (A one year deal with another NHL team is unlikely due to a team having to cough up draft picks for a player who might be gone after a year.)

Option 1 -- what I hope happens. It all depends on whether they can agree on money and if he's reasonably happy.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

dccitizen1:

Sorry to hear you have the flu. Hope you will be feeling better soon. I had the swine flu earlier in the fall. Maybe it morphed into something else but my husband and I had lingering symptoms from it for almost 2 months. This is why I rushed to get the H1N1 vaccine. At least you are being kept entertained.

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75: Is it too premature to discuss who we'll be backing up if (a VERY big if) Sasha leaves (knock on wood)? I'm thinking Laing. You?

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 19, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75: re: Doofus Brigade - a certain poster with several posts above is seriously trying to get appointed captain of Company Alpha.

As for StikSav - I think it was dccitizen1 who exposed the five hole in his argument.

The Caps ARE over the cap and the only reason they can do it is that they are spending Backstrom's "bonus cushion." If this isn't resolved by year end, they will be penalized for next year.

Try paying Semin, Backie and Flash THEN.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I think the team decides if Clark is the f(*king captain, not you or me.

Green and Clark are ultra competitive players and they just had a smack down in public. I have no doubt they are both over it.

Posted by: saintex | November 19, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

@ dccitizen1: Get well soon. Funny thing, I think my roommate had the swine flu and despite my concerns, I went ahead and left him alone for 5 days because I was headed to DC for a Caps game this past October. Wasn't quite sure what he had though he did manage to soak his sheets thoroughly with his body heat and was bedridden for my entire trip. Even my roommate on his literal deathbed couldn't keep me away from a Caps game. =X

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 19, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, CapsFan75, Caraveli and Capsyoungguns. Yes, the captions were great---brought out such creativity.

I wish my health care provider had offered the vaccine, but like much of the country, they didn't get enough. I did get the seasonal flu shot though. Sorry you went through the bug too Caraveli.

So, we've got the Canadiens, Leafs and Senators coming up. Anyone smell a triple win coming on? I know that on any given night, anything can happen, but I'd sure like to see a Capitals team Canadian hat trick right about now!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 19, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75

It's going to be option #1. I feel it in my bones. I had the exact same thought about him being too introverted to like change and he feels comfortable here with Ovi. Ovi must also really want him to stay. And, no matter how frustrated, BB clearly considers him a top player. Yep, get ready for option 1.

You know, I am always amazed how so many people on the blog that I had assumed were male, turn out to be women when they make a reference to their personal lives. Hey maybe half of us bloggers here are women, for all I know.

Heck maybe we are all female on this blog(except for Richmond whose fiance wrecked a car or turned vegan or something, and some other guy who posted a link to Caps' cheerleaders or whatever these girls were; and also maybe Joe because of his extra manly name; oh yes, and probably someone named "MNMNT" because of his snappy, mean tone; and maybe a couple of others).

Also, to continue on this random stream of consciousness (we really do need a game to focus us) what happened to a guy named Boo who used to blog a lot last year? But enough with the big, cosmic, life-and-death questions!

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastFan: I admire your Caps fever, even when your roommate had one! And the drenched sheets from sweating is definitely a symptom.

@TominFl1: I wish I could take credit for exposing the five hole in StikSav's argument. Maybe it was dcsportsfan? You also gave me credit for inventing the Quentin Laing "Operation" game when it was dcsportsfan! Maybe I should just keep quiet and let you think I'm that smart!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 19, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

dccitizen1: I don't want to admit it or fate will punish me, but I am sort of expecting a triple victory. This is bad because then I get disappointed but I can't help it. If our boys in red also expect it, then you know we are going to lose. But I can't get rid of this mental picture I have of everyone playing a perfect, disciplined game.

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

@ caraveli

I hope it's Option 1. (Semin stays -- multi-year). Granted I'm not the most objective on the subject as I'm a Semin fan (even at a time when so many people don't like him). Hey, I raised a Semin like kid, what can I say.

Yes, we have a fair number of female posters here. CapsYoungGuns, Boo (who we haven't heard much from lately), Kittypawz.

We have some regular males here also: CaptainKirkinAZ, TomInFla, Fanohock, RichmondPhil, PhilH.

LeftCoast, I'm guessing you're male, am I right?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan

----------------------------------

I'm a little confused by that last question? Do you mean what team we'll back up or what player will take Sasha's place, if he leaves? You've suggested Laing.

I hope we keep Sasha. But I'm wondering how much positive feedback and appreciation he's been getting from the Caps management, as of late. (I hope the opinions are more positive than the press has been lately.) No reasonable person would want to stay in a job where they are not appreciated.

One of my closest friends on my job had recently given notice since he didn't get much positive feedback or appreciation lately.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

I love your optimism on our chances against the Canadian trio this weekend.

I'll be at the Montreal game at VC. As most STH may have noticed, Semin's picture is on Friday's ticket. Unfortunately, no Semin at the game (unless he sits in the press box). Yeah, we'll have a large crowd of players in the press box tomorrow. Semin, Juice, ShaMo, Knuble. (Will Laing even be able to sit in the press box at this point?)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

@DevilsCapsGal, @ouvan59 and others,

Sounds like you had a good analysis of Theodore's situation. It's really hard to deal with the death of a child. I'm sure it's taking an emotional toll on both Jose and his wife.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75: It was caraveli above who said, "maybe everyone here's female."

I am not a girl. Of that I'm certain.

Also, "girl" is not a bad word for me. Girl means any female person with youthful outlook. Women don't go to hockey games; girls do. Women are busy going to the beauty parlor or something like June Cleaver.

I owe dcsportsfan an apology. 1) The Quintin Laing operation game was hilarious. 2) He/she posted the research on the bonus cushion.

CF75 (again): Glad you appreciated the Semin comparables. No one else commented. His true value when compared to similar players D. Sedin and Cammalleri is 6, 6.1M. It's just a question of if the Caps will offer that much (they have a history of being fair) and if he wants to stay (I think he likes it with Ovi and Varly).

Flash will be hard to sign because he is one year from UFA after this and he is playing himself into a good deal. Plus he can go the one-year arbitration route.

The contract dollars and figures are as fascinating to me as the game itself. I'm sorry, but Ma Nature made me this way. What would the world be w/o us anal retentive types?

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Per Ted, he will be signing both Backstrom and Semin to long term deals. That is the right thing to do and any team in the NHL that had a chance would do the same thing.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | November 19, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 7:25 PM

Boo is actually a female as well. Though I think her husband sometimes posted under the name as well.

I wonder what happened to her and Greg S. and some others. They appear every now and then, but not as often.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 19, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 8:05 PM

Now I am picturing them all in the press box. Poor Laing is starving and wanting something other than broth but no one can feed him cuz Semin's wrist is hurt and Knuble's finger is broken and Juice can't get up to help due to muscle pull and ShaMo is too woozy to stand.

And then they go on road trip but poor Laing gets stopped by security because he has like ten pounds of metal in his body.

Since Laing was being operated on anyway, why didn't the doctors just implant a protective metal shield up and down his whole body. Then he could block shots all day and they'd bounce off like the bullets on Clint Eastwood in "For a Few Dollars More."

You've heard of the six million dollar man? We have Quintin Laing - the $500K man.

And remember - there's no "Quit" in Quintin.

"When you shoot a man, Indio, you'd better go for the heart."

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Unless he has a spectacular rest of the season, there's NO WAY I see Semin getting $6.2 million. Okay, he might have the SKILL of a $6 or 7 million+ player, but he's yet to prove that he can do it consistently. I think the $6 million is more in line with what Backstrom will be offered (and possibly for a long term... 8 or 9 yrs). Semin maybe 5.25 to 5.50 but probably only for 3 or 4 yrs.

Posted by: chombie13 | November 19, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Somebody's got to do the financial analysis for the Caps (and other contracts) and you're the man to do it.

While I'm a computer type, myself.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

My guess about the scuffle.

Green went to the Wizards v Cavs game wednesday night with Ovie and Backstrom. They obviously went out after and green was hungover at the skate around. Clark, being a team leader, took the opportunity to let Green know that being hungover at practice is not acceptable. Thus the minor skirmish and thus Boudreau diplomatically saying.

Posted by: nperazich | November 19, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Your picture of the guys in the press box is great. No one able to feed poor Quinton anything other than broth. Of course, even if they could, QL could not chew it.

A lot of times, the Caps don't bring injured guys on roadtrips if there's no chance the guy could play. They plan to bring Juice & Mo on the trip in case they're ready on Saturday but I assume they're both out for Friday. They'd probably leave Knuble and Laing home. As for Semin, good question. He's definitely out for Friday and Saturday but can he go on Monday or not?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

@nperazich

Did Green apparently drink more than Ovi and Backstrom when they went out after the game (apparently)?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

for dcsportsfan1.

"can you name one stay-at-home defenseman that might be available for trade?"

I'd like to try.

Potential stay at home d-men that might be available in a trade. Not saying I want them to, just I like the challenge:

1. Andy Sutton, NYI: If the Islanders falter and slide back. Which I don't want to happen as the Islanders are my "other" team. All 6'6" 245 of stay at home D. Keeps the PIMs low and can hit. A Sutton and Schultz pairing would be cool. Never would happen though as the Caps have players in their own system.

2. Adrian Aucoin, PHO: No relation to our Aucoin. Is a UFA at the end of the year and who knows what will happen in the desert to the Yotes. Older, but tough.

3. Almost any D-man from Minnesota since 5 of 8 are unrestricted after this season.

57.. The Flyers have over 14 million committed to 2 D-men. Something has to give.

So, as usual it is a limited market for D, but come deadline time it will be there.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 19, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Burning question.

I wonder who Semyon Varlamov's roommate on the road is.

I've already ruled out most of the "logical" candidates. Among the Russians, Ovi and Semin are currently roommates.

Among other young guys, Backstrom rooms with Green (or that was the case last year). Green used to room with Laich until they switched.

Among Hershey guys, Tyler Sloan and Quinton Laing room together, whicn rules those two out.

Perrault? Or is he now with Theodore?

Well, with all the injuries, and if the injured guys (Laing, Semin) do not make the roadtrip, Varlamov has more choices of who he can room with. Ovi, Sloan, or even Neuvirth or Perrault. (I wonder if Varly roomed with Ovi on the trip that Semin was too sick to go on.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung

Who would you have the Caps offer up to get any of the D-men you mentioned? I assume the price would not necessarily be the same for all of them.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

People like nperazich should be sued for libel. He has invented a hangover with no proof. Show me the bar tab or at least pictures, otherwise:

nperazich: You are hereby banished to the Doofus Brigade.

Rank: Private First Class. Pick up your rifle and start marching.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Call me a proud member of the Doofus Brigade, maybe even the Brigadier General of this brigade. Now I love Green; he is an awesome offensive blueliner, not a winger playing too far back. But Semin will cost too much, so trading him now before the Caps get nothing, is a good idea from my perspective as a one star doofus. Semin is incredibly talented, yes. Does he play a team game consistently, no. Does he bring his A game in big games or get most of his points against weaker teams that play looser defensive systems, yes. Can the Caps get something valuable in trade, yes. Does Semin add a threat on a second line, not so much. Does he compliment Backs and Ovi, yeah, for the most part. Will trading Semin hurt the Caps lockerroom, not sure. The strongest reason to keep Semin is how trading him would hurt the Caps team. The strongest reason to trade him is that out of the must resign people, like Backs, Varly, and Carlson/Alzner, he is the weakest fit for the team getting the cup. General Doofus

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 19, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 19, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

LMAO I think that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard on here... what have Carlson and Alzner done at the NHL level? and you think they're more of a priority to resign than Semin??

Posted by: joek443 | November 19, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

chombie13:

I'm not here to criticize you. Really and truly. Please see my post from this morning:

Here are the Semin comparables, based on age and service time they are close.

Thomas Vanek 7.1 - Semin will ask for this
Jason Spezza 7.0 - has better numbers than Semin
Mike Richards 6.2 for 10 yrs - He has better intangibles, Semin has better numbers
Daniel Sedin 6.1 - check the numbers. A good match
Mike Cammalleri 6.0 - also a good match
Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Jason Pominville all at 5.3 and all with inferior numbers.

In summary:

The Caps can offer a Daniel Sedin deal of $30.5M over 5 yrs and be happy with themselves. It's what they might put on the table if Semin goes for arbitration. I think if they offer the 6.2 I posted last night, and if the player wants to stay, they should have a deal.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 9:20 AM

Now, chombie13, you are shooting from the hip. You have declared a value for Semin based on your opinion with no back-up to support your contention. I on the other hand have provided extensive back-up for any and all assertions I might make.

I'm not arguing and I'm not criticizing. I see you as a potential "convert." If you have any evidence that I don't have, or might have overlooked, please provide. I have done full and complete research for Semin (6.2) and Backie (6.8) contracts. This is what I do all day and I get paid a nice salary to do it. I welcome your challenge. I will be happy to convert you. Most everyone I deal with eventually says, "Tom, I give up."

And I really have the ability to not shut-up until you do.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

JIMALLCAPS:

You have written many good notes. First, you can't be general. A brigade, believe it or not, only rates a colonel. (You'd think the army would fix these things.) Second, CiC of the Doofus Brigade must remounce Semin, Green, BB and GMGM. One who merely wishes to rid the team of Green and Semin can be only lieutenant or maybe captain.

Either way, you are an officer, and I will salute you, in honor of many fine notes in the past.

Best to you, sir, and may we all have valor and honor on the field of battle. We can agree to disagree on this one, sir.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

For those intersted, here's how I think how they do it:

Army - 4-star
Corps - 3-star
Division - 2-star
Brigade - Colonel
Battalion - Lt. Colonel
Company - Captain
Platoon - Lieutenant

Brigadier General (1 star) and Major don't fit into the slots because those ranks either serve as adjutant or else they serve in other roles.

This has absolutely nothing to do with hockey. Except that we have a captain on the Caps and he had it out today with one of the sergeants.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Well here's a happy note: Ottawa is currently spanking the Pens 5-1.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 19, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

& Brent Johnson has replaced fleury.

Posted by: uncatim | November 19, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

@ tess2201

That score has increased to 6-1. I wonder what the fans in P-burgh are saying now.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

female poster here :)

pens losing 6-1 now!!

Posted by: mrszilla | November 19, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

just listened to the Melrose Line on espn and he talks about the time when BB and another coach who's currently an asst. coach in the NHL streaking on the streets of a place called "ontario place"... hilarious

Posted by: joek443 | November 19, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

and lets hope the devils lose so we can stay 2 points ahead of them!

Posted by: mrszilla | November 19, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I love your posts on the doofus brigade and the ranks you've posted. I'm getting a great laugh at them, even as I stress out over the eventual fate over the son of Valeri and Tatiana.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

If Cindy Crosby keeps playing so lousy, he'll be moved from Mario's basement to the root cellar.

Like it or lump it, Cindy, like it or lump it.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Boston beat Atlanta in shootout. (Guess the Bruins are back.)

Carolina and Toronto are in a shootout. Who would have thought Carolina would be a bottom feeder this year. (But wait.... didn't the Caps start off so horribly two years ago. But then the Caps of two years ago had better personnel and needed to be "woken" up, so to speak.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

Does Super Mario even have a root cellar?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Nashville pulls ahead of devils.

Posted by: uncatim | November 19, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I hear Carolina won the shootout.

Pittsburfh officially lost 6-2.

I will be rooting for the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to take care of Tampa Bay for us.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

@ uncatim

But the Devils struck back and tied it up.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

dagnabit

Posted by: uncatim | November 19, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Quickly...

Very much looking forward to seeing Carlson.

Not happy about the circumstances, but looking forward to seeing Varly get a few starts in a row. He deserves it.

Just watched parts of Atlanta - Boston game and it reminded me of those who thought I was nuts when I suggested that Afinogenov would be a good FA signing for us because of the style we play. Atlanta plays the same style and he's looked like he's been completely reborn there. Overall, it's fun to see another progressive coach in the NHL who has the right philosophy on how the game should be played. The players love it and it's fun to watch. I'll go out on a limb and predict that Atlanta will indeed make the playoffs this year. Too bad no one in that city seems to care. Once again their building was empty. They missed a great game.

Posted by: ranndino | November 19, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

What! Boo is a girl too? My theory of a female majority is gaining momentum. I thought Boo was a burly, scary male. I liked her postings. Oh yes, I remember Greg S. What happened to him? Even Randinno, our most famous blogger, does not post that often. Is there a new, hot blog that the "in" crowd frequents?

CapsFan75: You pose a very challenging question--one on which philosophers have pondered for centuries. Let's see:

Perrault would probably room with Theo because he admires him, but Theo will not be there. So he will be rooming with Neuvy.

Varly would like to room with Ovi because he is his idol, but Ovi thinks he is just a moody baby and will snub him in favor of Backstrom.

Boudreau is making Clark and Green room together, and not come out of the room until they can be civil to each other. Right now they are in their room, practicing, just staring daggers at each other.

Pothier & Bradley are rooming with the big coach himself--Boudreau--as a reward for their empty netter and winning goal respectively at last game.

Brendan Morrison is given his own room because I think he is especially cool.

I'll have more updates a little later tonight.

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Barry Melrose the coach of the Adirondack Red Wings in 92 calls BB who was sort of an asst. coach/player in Fort Wayne to inquire about a center because two of his centers Keith Primeau and Mike Sillinger got called up by the Detroit Red Wings.

Turns out that the center Melrose wanted was hurt so BB asked Melrose, "what about me?" Melrose replied, "what kinda shape out you in?" BB, "the same as normal" Melrose brought him in and BB scored a goal in the first game.

Posted by: joek443 | November 19, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

CF75:

The bottom line is this, and it's very simple to reconcile with your wishes and those of the universal karma:

If Sasha Semin wants to be with the Caps, then he belongs here and he will be here; but, if he really wants to be somewhere else, then he should, and he will.

So, however it works, that's how it was supposed to work, and the universal karma will be satisfied.

I have found in life that it is only when we try and go out of our way to prevent the inevitable karma that we cause problems.

The only thing that can really screw us is if Sasha wants to be here but GM and Ted botch the negotiations. And that can only happen if they ignore the numbers, which I posted intentionally so that they would be public and obvious.

When you come home from work tomorrow, go into your yard and find your favorite plant. Sit in front of the plant. Look up at the sky and then back at the plant. Tell yourself that you are in the right place. Place your fingers gently into the soil around the plant. Loosen the soil. Give the plant some water if it hasn't rained and maybe some 10-10-10 if you haven't fertilized.

Find a comfort level and bond with the plant. At this point there is only you, God and the plant. Ask that Sasha Semin find his peace in the world.

If he's meant to be with the Caps, he will be; if not, he won't.

You can't fight karma because if you try you lose.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

i hope now that fleury is suckin they will play johnson more now.I always did like johnny and hope for the best for him no matter where he is.next pens game johnson gets shutout and chris bourque scores game winner.After that i hope pens lose every game there after gut it would be nice to see those guys do well.just wish it was hear in washington.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | November 19, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Pens lost to the Sens 6-2 and Crosby didn't score either one of the two goals. And Carolina won.

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

I miss a few days and you come up with this dufus brigade business. Love it.

BTW, what's this about a minor scuffle at practice?

Posted by: ranndino | November 19, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

female poster here :)

pens losing 6-1 now!!

Posted by: mrszilla

Yay! The female army is growing by the minute.

Posted by: caraveli | November 19, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

I miss a few days and you come up with this dufus brigade business. Love it.

BTW, what's this about a minor scuffle at practice?

Posted by: ranndino | November 19, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

agreed tominfl1, think you win the best post award

Posted by: mrszilla | November 19, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

ps- my dad just said we should trade green... guess i have one of the brigade in my family!

Posted by: mrszilla | November 19, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

According to an earlier post, Green and Clark had a scuffle during today's practice. It was not reported as to what was the cause. Boudreau apparently sent Green home since he didn't look too good. (No, he was not sent home due to the scuffle).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I know some of you are in to goalie mask designs. I just saw this on John Walton's blog: Holtby came up to Hershey to replace Neuvy and he has a new mask, a bear wearing a Caps jersey. Seems there was a copyright issue with the old mask since it feature Hershey Bar characters....

Posted by: tess2201 | November 19, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

TominFla

I think the channeling of Lincoln speech was the best post of this week.

I also enjoyed Caraveli's post on "The Threee Pigs". I had originally said the team is the story of three little French guys who could; i.e Bourque, Aucoin, and Perreault. She was reminded of "The Three Pigs", substituted Theodore for Bourque, and told a version of that story involving our three little French guys. (Les Petits Hommes Francais.)

I couldn't resist looking up the French word for pig which is "Le Cochon".

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

mrszilla: Explain the Doofus Brigade to your dad and ask him if he wants to be an officer or an enlisted man. I understand the colonel made a speech earlier today:

"Friends, countrymen, fellow doofusi, lend me your ears. Semin is a turnover machine and Green is a lazy drunkard! We shall rid the Caps of both players plus their rotten coach and ignoramus GM! The time for action is now..."

Yada, yada, yada.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

devils lose SO

Posted by: uncatim | November 19, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

You had some pretty good theories on the roommates situation.

Only one problem with Ovi rooming with Backstrom for this weekend. NB is already rooming with Green. So who rooms with Green?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

@gratefuldid

When do the Pens next play Columbus? (I'm pretty mad at Columbus at the moment thanks to the deed of a certain player whose last name is the same as a certain Greek mythological creature.)

(Yes, that's a team I would not be overly upset to see lose to the Pens -- or anyone else for that matter.) That being said, I still hate the Pens.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I won't be able to bond with any plants after work tomorrow. I have a Caps game to attend -- vs Montreal.

However, I can look at my ticket for tomorrow's game. Sasha Semin's picture is on there. So, I should probably concentrate on the ticket, say a prayer to God and hope that Sasha finds peace somehow.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

CF75: The Lincoln thing just hit me. I felt kind of rotten afterward to use a speech that was meant to honor dead soldiers and to use it for hockey. The Gettysburg Address was one of the greatest speeches ever. Lincoln was one of the greatest Americans ever. I meant no disrespect.

I feel good though because in the last week the support for Sasha has increased. It is almost like God has given us Ovechkin, Semin and Green to test the mettle of the fans and how they will treat the three.

I know this because I have three daughters and it would be easy to concentrate on the achievements and give that daughter all the credit.

But, in the infinite wisdom of the Creator, it is how we treat that player or child with the least ability that we will be judged.

So, when Quintin Laing went down with injury, Caps fans rallied around him.

This, to me, was not surprising.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 19, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@uncatim

So we keep a slim lead over all the "Division 1 teams" in the Atlantic Division. Although now Ottawa has moved up. And the rest of the South Least division would be on the outside looking in.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Has the general of the doofus brigade been appointed yet? I don't think cstanton1 can have too many competitors for that title. doughless can be appointed to the post of the little constantly barking lap dog (these would be short of frequent barks) who's always bumbling in the general's feet. Whatever happened to the Chief, btw? Did he get tired of trolling or just croaked from old age? Or perhaps his senile brain finally leaked out through his ears rendering him unable to type...

Posted by: ranndino | November 19, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

#tominfl1

I did notice that the support for Sasha on this blog increased on Sunday. (There were a few mean spirited posts on him this week but overall, the tone has not been too bad on him.)

I feel bad for him. I don't think the guy necessarily sits out a game at the first sign of injury. If anything, he'll take a practice off when sick/hurt and come back for the next practice or game. Things don't heal fast enough or he aggravates him condition and he misses more practices/games.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino & TominFla

CStanton is certainly negative on Semin so he'd qualify for membership.

And then there's the poster named large followed by some numbers who's also negative about Semin.

And there's LesGrossman who posted a "cutting" post on Green.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

On posters.

I don't know what's happened to Greg S.

Red Birdie, who used to post here alot has gone to Japers to post.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Before I sign off you should also include people who write that Varly's ability to ever be an NHL goalie is in question every time he lets in a bad goal despite him still having only 1 regulation loss on his record.

Posted by: ranndino | November 19, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1
Yes, the Gettysburg Address is unquestionably one of the greatest speeches ever. Did you know that today is the 146th anniversary of the speech?

Posted by: tess2201 | November 19, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

That's the truth. It was amazing how so many people were ready to write off Varly after his slow start (even though he was winning).

I remember the week of the back to back Florida games when Boudreau started Theo in both of the games. Okay, Varly may have let in a soft goal or 2 in the NJ game but he had only let in 3. I didn't think he had done so bad that he shouldn't have started in one of the back to backs.

Theo was great in the first Fla game but felt he was probably too gassed up to be effective in the 2nd one. I was proved right. Then the Islander game happened and Theo was off to such a bad start and was pulled for Varly. I just wonder if it was God's way of saying "It's time for Varly to get a turn."

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

It's also my Semin Rocks bumper sticker -- spreading good vibes wherever I drive.

Posted by: Steakum | November 19, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201

I'd say that's perfect timing -- today being the anniversary of the Gettysburg speech. And we use it for the Caps.

Interesting Gettysburg note. Last fall, a swimmer from the suburban region with the last name of Lincoln decided to attend Gettysburg College (or it is Gettyburg University). Perfect fit name for the school. A Lincoln at Gettysburg.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen Chief all year. Talk about a guy who hates GMGM.

Posted by: hook99 | November 19, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Another interesting note on timing. The folks at Japers pointed out that Dennis Maruk's 54th birthday was two days ago and also that he had the game winning goal against Edmonton on Jan 13, 1982.

I recall attending that particular Caps game. It was on one of the worst days. There was a major snowstorm in Washington. The Air Florida plane crashed into the 14th street bridge. There was a Metro rail accident on the Orange Line that resulted in 3 deaths and knocking one station out of commission. I had my performance review at work and, let's say, it got me very motivated to leave that job. And then it took me forever to get to the Caps game and we didn't arrive until 1st intermission.

If Maruk had gotten the game winning goal, it was the one bright spot in a horrible day. (Although Wikepedia says the Caps tied Edmonton that day and my husband seems to remember them tying.) So what really happened? Did the Caps win or tie?

On Maruk. I met him at Caps con and he gave out autographed pictures of himself (in addition to signing my poster of Caps alums.) I loved meeting him. Great guy. Love the little Canadian of Ukranian descent.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

@Steakum

Oh where'd you get a "Semin Rocks" bumper sticker? I may have to get one of those.

(And visualize me getting a Semin jersey for my birthday and that it's not the result of a clearance sale.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

@hook99

I recall he (Cheef) may have posted once this year. But he's been quiet.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 19, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

We don't have a guy named "Morisonn".

We have a Morrison and a Morrisonn, but not Morisonn. Let's not all turn sloppy like Nats staffers.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | November 19, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

"And remember--there is no quit in Quintin" Okay--that's the funniest thing I've read in quite awhile. LOL. But it's a pretty good motto. Maybe I should change my name to Quintin!

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 19, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I take a day to actually work, and the place asplodes around me! Jeez! Get a GRIP, people!!!

I, for one, will not be joining the Doofus Brigade ANY time soon. I happen to like both Sasha and Green. :-) With chocolate sauce.

Sorry - in all seriousness, I am not a puck bunny; I just had to make another crack about the chocolate sauce. Too bad about Holtby's mask being a copyright problem. Asking first often alleviates these sorts of issues, and I personally thought it was a great mask. :-(

Caps tomorrow, Bears on Saturday. It's all-hockey, all the time! Can't wait!

Posted by: irockthered | November 20, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Brendan Morrison is given his own room because I think he is especially cool.

I'll have more updates a little later tonight.

Posted by: caraveli

Ha, ha, ha ..... Excellent reading.

Wow there are a lot of women on this board (sorry tominfl1--too old to be called a girl anymore though I can't say I am terribly June Cleverish).

There a lot of names I haven't seen so much anymore--aside from the inarticulate, troll-like, and trivial posters--I do miss many of them. I do enjoy many different points of view. And I love the historical references though I am sorry I have not had the good fortune of seeing these great athletes play.

We need to figure out the other roommates--the whole team needs to feel the love. Or maybe they will say--as my son has said-"stop hovering. I'm fine!"

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 20, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

LeoGrossman sounds just like SinkingCaps. Just sayin'...

Posted by: snakegriffin | November 20, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Red Birdie, who used to post here alot has gone to Japers to post.

-------------------------------------------

I've had this conversation with another poster on here I won't mention. More posters will leave the more ignorant comments are made. Part of being a fan (IMO) is being proud of the fan base. It's hard to be proud of the fan base when comments like these are posted:

1. Trade Green
2. Trade Semin
3. GMGM sux
4. BB's time is over
5. BB's system doesn't work
6. Bench OV
7. Boston & Montreal were never rivals
8. Mario is the best PK'er ever
9. We won't be able to resign Semin
10. Bench Semin
11. Ted doesn't care about the fans
12. We'll never win a Cup w/(insert whatever here)

Need I continue? It's hard to filter through all of the bs to find the good thoughtful posts. Criticism is fine but comments like the above aren't exactly "intelligent" or well thought out.

Trust me I'm not coming from a position of "better than thou" but those of you "insightful" ones understand what I'm saying. If you're sitting there thinking that I'm an @ss or "who the heck" am I, then you're probably part of the problem.

There are a lot of regular posters that aren't here as often anymore. I would love nothing more than for this board to be an intelligent and insightful board. One that I look forward to reading and commenting on daily. Hopefully the trolls or whatever are just a temporary problem.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | November 20, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Awesome that "Morisonn" still hasn't been fixed. The copy editors must be sick of this blog.

Posted by: BigMogilny | November 20, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Goalies usually have their own room. So Varly, likely, does not have a roommate.

Semin is our best secondary scorer. No way are we trading him. And we should do what we can to renew his contract next season. He is an incredible talent who most other NHL teams would love to have on their team.

Clark may not score like Green used to pre-playoff last season, but Clark has something that Green doesn't and never will. It's called grit and toughness. Clark doesn't mind sticking up for teammates and getting dirty on the ice. Green is a pretty boy who is too afraid to get hurt or mess up his faux-hawk so he coughs up the puck. Imagine how much better the Caps would be if Green would eat some raw meat and toughen up. Because toughness is what it takes to be a good defenseman.

And congrats to Matt Bradley for his awesome goal. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving player. He works hard every shift.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 3:47 AM | Report abuse

And when I said secondary scoring I meant someone other than Alexander Ovechkin. So don't jump down my back.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 20, 2009 4:09 AM | Report abuse

responding to CapsFan75 re: available D:

I hadn't thought it through that far because I'm happy with the D that the Caps have in house. Just generally stating that come deadline time there will be a few available.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 20, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse