Boudreau on Brashear Suspension: 'I Can't Figure It Out'

The mood out here at KCI was businesslike this morning -- on the ice and in the dressing room. It's hard to say if that's focus or nerves. It was probably a little of both as the Caps went through what they hope was just another morning skate, not their last, ahead of tonight's decisive Game 7 against the Rangers.

"Winning three games in a row against a good team is a really difficult challenge," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "I don't know how we're going to respond. But I guarantee that the Rangers are going to play the best they've played all series long because Game 7s bring out the best in everybody. It should be a heck of a game."

The lineup figures to be the same, with the exception of Chris Clark likely replacing the suspended Donald Brashear. If Clark does get it in, it will be his first game action since Jan. 27 and his first playoff game since losing Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals as a member of the Calgary Flames in 2004.

"I was told be ready -- same as yesterday," Clark said. "Hopefully I'll have a lot more jump. It's been a long time since I've played. I'll be the same as always. I don't get too up or too down. It's been a long time. It's almost been like having a second summer. I thought last year I was going to come back, too [for the playoffs]. So this year, hopefully it will come true."

Boudreau stopped short of confirming that the Caps' captain would make his postseason debut.

"There's a good chance" Clark will play, Boudreau said. "I told Michael [Nylander] to be ready, too. Michael and Chris will both take the warmup. We'll see how it goes."

"There's a difference between being fresh and being rusty -- if [Clark] plays," Boudreau said. "Anybody who is put into a Game 7, they're not feeling any rust. They're feeling energy. They're feeling excitement like the rest of us."

A couple of other quotes from this morning:

Boudreau on Brash
"I'm upset -- disappointed is a better word," Boudreau said. "I can't figure it out and I don't think it's best for me to comment on that. It is what it is. As long as [the standard] is the same [for everyone], I guess that's what they're going for. We didn't think it would go that high, and we're disappointed in it, but what are you going to do?"

Asked if Brashear's suspension seemed "more egregious" considering Sean Avery's antics in Games 3 and 4, Boudreau said: "The only thing I can do is get in trouble if I comment on this stuff, so let's go on to something else, please."

Boudreau on Motivational Speeches
Boudreau is known for showing his players motivational videos, movie clips and for saying the right things at the right time. But he doesn't anticipate needing much of that tonight.

Asked what he planned to tell his players after the morning meetings, he said: "I don't know. I guess I'll find out when I open my mouth in about eight minutes. Quite frankly, how much is there to say? When you're growing up on the playgrounds and the ice rinks, you're always thinking, 'Game 7, for the Cup.' This is not quite going for the Cup, but it's a Game 7."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 28, 2009; 11:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark Likely Will Play
Next: Video: Who Replaces Donald Brashear?

Comments

@tarik

Does Bruce usually stay off the ice during morning skates?

Posted by: SA-Town | April 28, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

(First) Go Caps!! hopefully it will be clark.

Posted by: wowkanut | April 28, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I have never been this excited to attend a sporting event.

Posted by: hackeynut | April 28, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

(sigh)...

Posted by: wowkanut | April 28, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Gabby is such an awesome coach. He probably knows what he is going to say, but why share that with the media? He isn't stooping to the NYR propiganda agenda ala Torts; he is thinking about his club and the game. Who wouldn't want to play great for this guy? I bet the Caps come out firing on all cylinders from the puck drop on. If the Caps survive the Rags geriatric 5 minute surge, they are golden -- younger, faster, stronger, more skilled, and now more confident. Go, Caps, Go!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 28, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Note to Caps: We don't want a show, we want a win!

Posted by: ds_kelly | April 28, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Now it's time for lunch and I'm not even hungry. Anyone else out there so nervous they want to puke?

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys! Let's make the train ride home for the Rags a bad one!

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | April 28, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

WritingLight-

re: the last post on superstitions

My cousin (a fellow Caps fans) said this- "superstition is a sports fans connection to the game. without it we are passive observers"

or as I basically put it, without belief in luck, good vs.. evil etc we are just watching people exercising. I think you have to believe in something and I believe :) As Ovie put it- we are the other player! So we all have to bring our A game!

Basically I want to hear my biased NYC commentators talk about how loud it is there, or rather I don't even want to be able to hear them because you all are so loud! Don't wait for the jumbotron prompt to scream, keep the energy up and our boys will feed off of it!

Posted by: mrszilla | April 28, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I still haven't heard anything about a possible appeal to Brash's suspension. Are they not allowed to appeal or what?

Posted by: UngaBunga | April 28, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

If the Rags lose, it's disappointing but they were supposed to lose, no big deal. On the other hand, if the Caps lose, it will be a monumental disappointment, having lost to a team that can't get out of it's own way.

The Rags will probably be looser and play with less pressure on them. I hope the Caps don't get caught up in the hype of this game and grip the sticks tight. The first goal is going to be big.

I didn't even want to post this because of it's negative content so if anyone wants to tell me to shut my trap, I will gladly oblige.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 28, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I'll be nervous for the first ten minutes of the game. If the Caps score first then it's party time!

Posted by: tempusfugitrgv | April 28, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

LETS GO CAPS! WE GOT THIS!

Posted by: apollak8 | April 28, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Shut your trap Moose! j/k

Posted by: tempusfugitrgv | April 28, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

done

Posted by: Moose33 | April 28, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The Caps just got better by replacing Brash with Clark (damn well better be Clark, not Mr. Spin-o-rama). Add some valuable locker room, bench and on-ice leadership, and a good presence in front of the net.

Key will be defense and goal-tending. If they do well, the offense will take care of itself. Really important to get the first goal. Really important.

Posted by: bucknelldad | April 28, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 12:06 PM
----------------
Eat some pasta. Any hockey player will tell you it's a terrific pre-game meal.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 28, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

We are season ticket holders at section 423. My wife was taken by ambulance to the hospital because of chest pains last night, so needless to say we will not be at the game. Win it for my wife Caps.
she is in stable condition for those concerned. When you see our three empty seats please don't worry, but make sure no Ranger Rear sits in my seat.

Posted by: lornemyoung | April 28, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

BB just say "Go kill em!"

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 28, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

It is a fan's job to be LOUD and proud. Heckling is part of the game. But it is also a fan's responsibility to have some class. I do not want my 9 yo daughter learning about what Sean Avery may or may not do with innocent farm animals in the privacy of his own home. And I also do not want people around the country talking about how DC fans make NYers look classy.

So let's ROCK THE RED in style and class tonight.

Posted by: Baildog | April 28, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Kind of hard to be homophobic when you are gay...so I guess I am not included in all the people from DC?
What a tool

Posted by: hart2014 | April 28, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Count me in that column too. I have some pretty thick skin, but I really don't want what should be a spectacular night soured by people overreacting to the Sather letter...

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The difference between this year and last:

1. Not to overlook the Rangers, but they are not even close to the talent level of the Flyers team the boys lost to last season.

2. These Caps are a GOOD team, on the verge of GREAT. They do not want to feel the pain of a 1st round Game 7 loss again so they will not "put on a show" they will play the game that they've played to get the series tied.

3. They will play every shift like it is their last and grind to get the lead and build on that lead because they DO NOT want to let an OT penalty decide the outcome. They will be shooting to make this a two period game and watch the Rangers fold the tent for the 3rd again.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Moose's worry... but its all about the first period, first 10 mins, first faceoff and I think having been here last year and having found their groove the past two games, they should be able to find it again in this one. They just have to play their hearts out, and I think thats what we'll see.

Posted by: mrszilla | April 28, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I need a drink

Posted by: 104_CapsFan | April 28, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

AHH! I'm sitting at home with a severely sprained ankle reading all of this and it's driving me insane. My mind is racing and I'm getting lost in my own thoughts and making myself a nervous wreck. I never thought I'd say this but I kind of wish I was at work so I would have something else to do besides sit around and read these post and articles about the game all day! 7 PM can't come quick enough.

That being said, this game is ours to win. The rags looked defeated last game. They all had blank emotionless stares. I believe they will come out playing hard but only for a short while. Like everyone else on this board has stated we need to score first because this will suck the life from the rags and then we can pile it on.

C-A-P-S! CAPS, CAPS, CAPS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: eorr | April 28, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

popeye's chicken is the key to voctory for me and the roommates as well as rocking the black jerseys. game 3 = popeye's, game 4 = KFC (line too long), games 5 & 6 = popeye's. Not the healthiest superstition but got the job done

Posted by: _stevo | April 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The whole "there's no pressure on the Rangers" and "they're playing with house money" type of comments are a bunch of hooey. It's not like they're a 16-seed in March Madness playing 1-seed UNC in the first round. In the NHL playoffs, if you make them, you're a pretty good team. Ask Anaheim if they were just happy to be there.

It's a Game 7. So what if NY was the underdog, that doesn't make it ok to lose. They're under pressure too. And they're the ones who have blown 2-0 and 3-1 series leads.

They can try and spin mind games all they want, but they're under pressure too. This whole "we're just the dumb underdog" nonsense is getting old. They had a 3-1 lead and then got royally skunked in the next two games. You think they won't get roasted by their media for another failure?

Posted by: jollyroger2 | April 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Let's go CAPS! Tear the rags to shreds!

Posted by: apollak8 | April 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Prediction:

Varly plays out of his mind tonight, knowing that his 21st belated birthday celebration will be the greatest in history with the win!!!

I just hope if Clark plays, he doesn't try to do too much. Just grind it out and stand in front of the net and don't make any mistakes!

Why is it impossible to get any work done today?

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't buy into Torts' desperate attempts to deflect the pressure off the Rangers. They feel it just the same as the Caps, especially during the last couple of games and they have wilted under the strain. How can anyone say that Lundqvist isn't the feeling pressure to stand on his head or that Drury isn't feeling pressure to lead his wallowing team? By Torts' own admission yesterday his team needs to relax. We saw it was easy for them to relax during the first two games but as the series intensified, they got tight.

Besides, pressure is a motivator and I believe the Caps have shown that they handle pressure very well; it provides them with focus, purpose and the will to do what is necessary to succeed.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | April 28, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung - I'm hoping for a full and speedy recovery for your wife! Some things are far more important than hockey.

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 28, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I won't lie. I'm anxious, too. Watching the Blackhawks-Flames game last night made me more worried because you saw what happened when a goalie decides to shut down an opposing team. Granted, the similarities aren't great, considering the Flames really faltered down the stretch, but the fact that Lundqvist is in net is a tad disconcerting to me, regardless of how he's played in the two previous games.

All that said, the Caps are definitely the more skilled team, Varlamov is making some quality saves (but giving up huge rebounds) and the defense has been much tighter. Again, the first goal tonight is the big one. Caps can take this thing, and I sure hope they do.

Posted by: CDon | April 28, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

If anyone should have the jump off the face off, it should be the Caps. They have fought back to tie the series. They have a very loud building behind them. I EXPECT the Caps to be forcing it down the Rangers throats.

They have figured out how to win games in this series convincingly. Now they just need to keep doing it until they are stopped. If they are stopped, change their strategy before there are only 5 minutes left in the game.

I agree with the posts. Cheer long and hard for the Caps and don't worry about the insults to the other team or fans.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 28, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not discounting that there isn't any pressure on NY, but less compared to the Caps. The Patriots went into the Super Bowl undefeated and look what that got them. Possibly not a completely fair comparison but similar situation where one team is a heavy favorite.

I truly hope you guys are right about it not affecting the Caps. I'd like to be wrong all day on this one.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 28, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung: Yes, please take care of your wife and the Caps will be here when things settle down for you guys.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I think they need to do the Unleash the Fury video a little earlier tonight.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 28, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Fans, please DO NOT get quiet if the game takes an early turn for the worse. Keep the energy in the buidling. The Caps came back from 4 down on these guys this season. They also came back from two goals down in game 1. I hate to keep pointing fingers, but if not for Theo letting in soft goals we would have won that game. That would have changed the series completely.

So, please, don't let Verizon become a tomb like MSG did when the Rangers fell behind. Our boys have the ability to score quick and often, the Rangers are hamstrung offensively so an early 2-3-4 goal deficit is GAME OVER. LET'S GO CAPS.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I hope your wife recovers quickly, lorneyoung. Best of luck.
youcould always call the caps and tell them your seats are available for underpriledged folk or something. or put them up on crsigslist for some college kid to snag.
again, wishin the best.

Posted by: oo7 | April 28, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Work day is taking forever-ever

LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 28, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

capsfan26 and fanohock1 - Thanks for the well wishes. THey have internet here at the hospital. So, I will be giving her updates. However, only if the Caps are ahead because a suspected heart attack and an intense game 7 are not a good mix. She wants to watch the game. We'll see what the doctors say. Probably yes. It reminds me of one of the Major League movies where the coach is in the hospital bed watching the big game. Chris Clark can be our Pedro Cerrano.

Posted by: lornemyoung | April 28, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

To all those with butterflies in your stomach you are not alone! I can't focus - if I think about too much my palms sweat. But as a hockey player who has played in championships at much lower level, I know that once the lights come up and the puck is dropped good teams come to play. The Caps are in a great position because they know that they really beat the Rags 5 to 1 and the last two were meaningless because the refs gave them a 5 on 3 and the other was when the outcome was already decided with 10 ticks left. They know if they play their game they will win. Come 7 pm I will ready and so will the Caps! Lets Here It! Lets Go Caps! Lets Go Caps!

Posted by: psugolf | April 28, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

You are only as good as the last game we remember. It's like that video they play at big points in the third period - but, I want it right off the bat...How you play tonight is how you will be remembered. A win tonight and everyone will forever remember this game. Anything else all the great play to come back will immediately be gone.

I love this team and I think they can go a long ways but they have to leave everything out there again tonight. Everything. I want blocked shots, completed checks, those perfect dump-and-chase plays we've seen all series. Nothing left when it it's over.

Nothing. Left.

Posted by: saintex | April 28, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree with everyone who's said that the work day seems to be dragging. It's so hard to focus! Five more hours until I don my jersey and hop on the Metro... I think I can, I think I can...

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 28, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

lornemyoung - hope your wife is doing better and can enjoy watching the Caps game tonight, even if not in person.

LET'S GO CAPS!

Personally, I will feel like vomiting from minute number one all the way through minute number sixty, regardless. And I won't go into my embarrassing and goofy superstitions (anyone else have to sit in a certain spot on the couch????). UGH! I don't know if I'm going to make it!

Posted by: nafspac | April 28, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung - I love the Major League reference! "I say @#$% you, Jobu. I do it myself."

Maybe they can give your wife some kind of mild sedative before the game. Heck, we ALL might need some kind of sedative if it turns out to be a close one!

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 28, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | April 28, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@lorneyoung - I have watched several playoff games from the hospital over the last week or so. good luck with that, but i'm sure it will all work out.

@fanohock -- I am sitting here staring at my half eaten lunch, and let me just say, that I never miss a meal.

To everyone else -- my office looks out directly over KCI and I can smell "VICTORY" in the air

Posted by: Caps16Fan | April 28, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"I have to say, I'm a little worried about the mental aspect of this game. As LeBrun wrote in his column, the Rangers are playing with house money right now. Very few people picked them to win this series.

If the Rags lose, it's disappointing but they were supposed to lose, no big deal."

Maybe if the two teams were trading wins to get to this point.

The Rags blew a 2-0 series lead (away), and a 3-1 series lead. 87% of the teams win the series in the former situation, 92% in the latter.

You think there's no pressure on them to *not* be one of the dreaded 8% of teams that blow a series they lead 3-1?

I'm going to have to disagree with that. Esp considering how bad the last two losses have been, to boot. They're not just losing, they're flaming out. There's pressure, plenty of it.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the comments about pressure. I think, and the players think, that the pressure is on the Rags as well:

1. They play for NY. There's always pressure to win there, except if you're the Knicks.

2. They've invested in a lot of big name, expensive players. There's pressure to perform well.

3. This series should've been over a long time ago when it was 3-1. Losing game 7 would a total, embarrassing collapse.

4. If they lose, it'll be another early playoff exit for them.

5. Their fans are d-bags who expect to them to win now.

Posted by: Andoy | April 28, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I am nervous and excited, but feeling very good about the game. Rock the Red! Unleash the fury! Go Caps! We got this! Don't let the head games being played by the Rags get to you. They know they can't win using talent and skill, so they are trying to create drama (where there is none) to get under our skin. Not going to work. Rags, you are a disgrace to hockey. Torts should be fired.

Posted by: kingd9698 | April 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

There is still pessure on New York, Torts is trying to put all the pressure on our guys, but they were looking at a 3-1 games up collapse. So they do have some of the pressure on them as well. If we play our game, bang bodies and play solid at both ends, everything will take care of itself.

Lets go boys!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 28, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I keep wanting to change my computer clock to 6 so i can leave...tick tock, tick tock...so slow damnit! Whoops I used a bad word...I hope Slather's virgin ears aren't listening.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 28, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I have been on the precipice of throwing up since Game 5........ Let's Go Capitals!

Posted by: mjwies11 | April 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Brashear hit doesn't kill us.

Far-out theory. Artem Anisimov, the call up to replace Betts, beats Varlamov to win the series. The two were teammates at Lokomotiv Yaroslavl in 2006-07. Scary.

I hope Anisimov doesn't know the secret to beating his old teammate that the Rangers have yet to figure out.

Posted by: writered21 | April 28, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Varly can't be beaten.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes please! I need something to take the edge off!

lornemyoung - I hope that all goes well with your wife, sending some good thoughts to her and the rest of your family (along with the caps of course) love that she wants to watch the game still, what a trooper!

Posted by: mrszilla | April 28, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Ms. lornemyoung. Someone get this story to the Capitals...stat. Should give them even more motivation to realize that regardless of where the Capitals fans are, we're thinking of them. We're cheering for them. We're hoping for their victory...and rooting them on wherever we are.

Good luck, Capitals! Unleash the fury, Caps fans! Welcome the Rangers' fans to OUR House! Then remind them why they should hate coming to OUR House!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 28, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

You guys make me laugh. All curled up and shivering over a game 7. Well, I'm glad you care oh so much. Where was all this love for the caps 3 or 4 years ago?

Is it unfair to challenge your allegiance on the verge of such a big contest? Not when you compare yourselves to fans in other buildings who have some kind of history with their team.

Now about the game: Don't see much discussion here on the only thing that can keep the Caps from winning: Lundqvist.

Did he get pulled 2 games in a row? yes. Have the capitals figured him out? maybe.
Has he already won 2 games in that building? yes. Can he do it again? yes.

Keep one thing in mind: The overwhelming probability here is that caps lose. Being a better team (or in this case - a far better team) does not get you a win.

Posted by: reefo | April 28, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

Heading home at 3, pregaming at RFD no later than 5. Metallica's 'Master of Puppets' on a loop on my mp3 player and fiegning interest in work until then.

Almost there...

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Someone posted stats on the Ranger call-up and Varlamov yesterday, I think. Hershey, with Varlamov, defeated Anisimov's team the two times they faced each other. I'm not scared. =) GoOo Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 28, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I would like to know how the Rags fans can call the Caps "cheaters". I've seen it on numerous blogs and I wonder if they know what the definition of cheating is. Because they sound pretty retarded. Do they define cheating as being "better than us"? Can someone please explain? Apparently Kozlov "charged" into Lundqvist, Mo is a biter, and Ovie just... cheats? How do you make stuff like this up in your heads? I can understand supporting your team, but suspending reality I'm not so sure about.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

god i want to be at RFD right now

Posted by: doncosmic | April 28, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes the first 10-20 minutes will be very important so I am not going to watch them.

I hope Lundy does not get on a hot streak and shuts us down. There is nothing more bring, frustrating and disgusting to watch. If he is good but not perfect, we've got it.

Posted by: caraveli | April 28, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoast, that was me. Anisimov beat Varly once on a PP and assisted on an ES goal in the two games they played against each other.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 28, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

reefo: Get lost! I was in MCI Center when I could hear my voice echo from the other side of the stadium. You're probably another Ranger fan talking about supporting your team and you probably don't even go to games because the seats are owned by corporations. You guys are all the same. Face it, the team your owner bought for this season is a 3rd tier team, and if by some miracle Lundqvist steals it today they aren't going any further.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@reefo. You're cool. Thanks for pulling out your credibility card. You don't even know anyone who puts comments so your assumption comes to this?

There is no overwhelming probability at all in this game, mathematically speaking. It's game 7 and the only numbers are about a 57% chance of the Capitals winning based on the 82 game regular season and the six played so far. If you want to trot out probability you should do some research. There is no law of averages - if that's what you're getting at - for a single played game.

You're great. I'd just love to hang out with you.

Posted by: saintex | April 28, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

reefo = master of the obvious. Thanks for that insight. No Sh!t Sherlock.

Posted by: WhiskeyRobber | April 28, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be nervous at all if my team was SUPPOSED to lose. At least you have the Yankees, oh wait, they haven't been able to buy a championship in a while either. Oh, you do have the Mets and their huge payroll, but they folder at the end of the season just like your Rangers. How about the miracle Giants, yeah, there you go, cling to that, oh wait, they actually play in NJ, so they should be the NJ Giants, and NJ Jets too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Ignore the trolls and Rock the Red!

tick tick tick. . .

Posted by: Sonyask | April 28, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, come on, just ignore reefo and his ilk. Don't even bother dignifying these silly people with a response. Focus on what matters: Game 7, baby! Let's go Caps!!!

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 28, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Lorne I hope everything is well and shes out soon.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | April 28, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Quick words:

Rangers ownership sucks and I have been a season ticket holder for 28 yrs. Does not make me the smartest guy on the planet - but it does make me a fan.

Boozehound or whatever: sorry you felt I interrupted the sterling commentary here with my obvious observations.

Posted by: reefo | April 28, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"The overwhelming probability here is that caps lose."

Based on what numbers?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@reefo: 3 or 4 years ago I didn't much care for hockey. It wasn't until my cousin had friends who suggested we catch a game that I got involved and loved the team. I guess you're quick to forget the difference in the scores when your team won. We shut you guys down 4 to 0 twice with Lundquist. The third game, we led your team 5 to 1 for all but the last what 5, 10 minutes of the 3rd period?

Quit making it sound like your Rangers were dominant in the series. Kudos to Lundquist, but really now? Overwhelming is how you're choosing to ignore what's obvious - the Capitals have the ability to win tonight. I defer to the team to make their point tonight. But for the record, what you or I say here, doesn't affect tonight's results. Accept that.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 28, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

saintex, fanohock: YES.
moose: shut it.
modest proposal: I doubt Vegas agrees with your "overwhelming probality". Just sayin.
Caps in seven.

Posted by: kevbnyc | April 28, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"Hey latex: you know exactly the probabilties I am talking about, so please spare me the math lesson."

I don't, and am genuine curious.

What numbers are you using to declare this "Overwhelming Probability?"

You're not actually making the mistake of using the 8% Chance the Caps win the Series number from aftrer game 4 are you?

You do realize that every time the Caps won after that, the probability changed, right?

It's not a 3-1 series anymore, it's a 3-3 series. What's the probability that a home team wins game 7 in a tied series?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@reefo

You didn't say much, that most 1st graders already know. Caps have been in this position plenty of times and history is thin. Where was the love 4 years ago?? Barely winning 20 games, because our club had to clean house, DB. We were a makeshift minor league team. Then a season of no hockey remember. I loved 'em just didn't watch 'em.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 28, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@reefo: 28 years. And your baseless comment is all you have to show for, for those 28 years as a season ticket holder. Wow. I'm utterly embarrassed for you. Get together with your other Rangers fans on your designated message board. For you guys to head over here and then balk and act all justified about the confrontation between Orr and Brash during the warm-ups is hypocritical. Stay on your boards where your low intellect isn't so obvious.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 28, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@VT - That's the stat I'm interested in: given being down 3-1 and coming back to 3-3, what's the probability that the down team wins. On second thought, I don't care to know, but it would be a valid number.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 28, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Modestproposal: Sorry, that was meant for reefo. :)

Posted by: kevbnyc | April 28, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"Never tell me the odds." - Han Solo

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 28, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

We don't waste $10 on a bagel on a street corner so why would we waste it on an inferior product @ the time? Dude we're all Phd's & Master Laureate here in the DC area. Not a boroughead.

Posted by: reefo | April 28, 2009 1:30 PM |

U mean the no lifes who live in a city that over charges for everything & makes a 2 bit team out to be a must see for 41 games & sends you to the poor house for a bail out? who do u think is paying for your welfare dope?

U & the FELONS will get a nice wave goodbye tonight - the only welfare you will get from us.
Ur not Filthy fans yet but you are sure dumber than them.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 28, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think the Rangers will be feeling tons of pressure. Quite often in the Playoffs the favorite (Caps) loses to an underdog. Happens every year (see: Sharks vs Ducks). Losing after being up 3-1 though is even a bigger albatross to carry all summer because all you had to do was win one of three, but you couldn't. This reminds me of all those times the underdog Caps would get ahead of the Pens, only to watch as Lemieux and Jagr turned it on "when they had too" and won the series based on talent. The Rangers are trying and they have a great goalie, but they are short on talent.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 28, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey LC:

I'm happy to have a new hockey fan - no matter what team they support. The point that I was trying to make above had nothing to do with recent converts - but bandwagon types - of which I am pretty sure forms the majority of the building right now. Good news is that you have a good tean so maybe you can keep these people interested. Maybe not. Not sure what in the world you're talking about affecting the game on this forum - yikes!

buttman: How many teams have come from 3-1 deficits in NHL playoffs? Ok. Satisfied. Good. Next question.

Posted by: reefo | April 28, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Lornemyoung, our thoughts are with your wife, me and my brother will be there in 423 making noise (and don't worry NO RANGERS fans will get through)and I might have to bring my trusty clipboard from the 98 run to make just a little more noise tonight. see you guys later in the Cup run after we win tonight.
CAPS FAN BEWARE, an outbreak has been reported at the Verizon Center quarantined to the visitor's bench, the NY Whine Flu, The cure is A LOT OF CROWD NOISE and plenty of pucks past Henrik!!!!!
BBD36

Posted by: BBDwrestling | April 28, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "I don't know how we're going to respond"

That's not very optimistic.

Posted by: FancyDan | April 28, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

the trap was shut 12:15pm EST

Posted by: Moose33 | April 28, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

FancyDan: Actually that is Coach Bruce Boudreau giving the Rangers absolutely nothing to put on the locker room wall for motivation.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 28, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"How many teams have come from 3-1 deficits in NHL playoffs? Ok. Satisfied. Good. Next question."

You either didn't read my post, or are bad with numbers.

I'll ask again: you realize that every time the Caps spanked your team after that 3-1 series deficit (4-0, and 5-3 respectively), that the probability changed right?

I'll try and go slower: of the 92% of teams that lose when behind 3-1 in a series, a good chunk lose game 5. If they don't lose game 5, they lose game 6.

By the time you get to game 7, the probability is no longer 92% because the team in question has already defied the odds to begin with.

There is no longer an "overwhelming probability" that the team in question loses. The Probability is whatever percentage of home teams win game 7 of a 3-3 tied series.

Let me know which part of that was confusing to you.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"Brashear delivered a shoulder hit to an unsuspecting player," said Colin Campbell.

Last time I checked shoulder hits were legal. I guess the problem was that it was an unsuspected. I guess these days you should call the guy's cell first and let him now you're about to crush him.

- Hi, is this Blair Betts?
- Speaking
- Oh hey man, this is Donald Brashear of the Caps
- Oh hey, what's up dude?
- I'm about to crush you
- Oh okay... thanks for the warning
- No problem dude... Just didn't want you to get too hurt

Posted by: ranndino | April 28, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

We just gave our tickets away to one of our neighbors that helped out with our kids with all this stuff going on. So, if they can make it our three seats won't be wasted and there will be the good karma of someone in the seats that helped us out in a time of need.

5 more hours.

Posted by: lornemyoung | April 28, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino, first thing to make me laugh all day. Thanks.

Posted by: saintex | April 28, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Classy fans on this site, like the guy mocking Betts with his broken orbital bone. Guess that dude does not think it was a penalty. It's so silly to be so transparent.

buttman: only thing confusing to me is why you keep arguing that there is only one answer to the 3-1 question. Denial of the number does not make it go away. Nice try, though.

Posted by: reefo | April 28, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I've got some bad news for you - once they've pulled themselves up to 3-3 the odds are a bit more even.

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

reefboy obviously didn't take any stats classes. What a wonderful little world he must live in where numbers go out of their way to prove his point. Are you a CEO of a major US automaker? That might explain it.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 28, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"only thing confusing to me is why you keep arguing that there is only one answer to the 3-1 question. Denial of the number does not make it go away. Nice try, though."

When did I deny the number? I fully acknowledged that at the end of game 3, there was an 8% chance that the Capitals would win the series.

Why do you refuse to acknowledge the fact that at the conclusions of games 5 and 6, that number changed? Off the top of my head, I'd say that home team wins game 7 in a 3-3 series tie 57% of the time, but I'm just making that up.

Why are you so desperately clinging to a number that was only valid after game 4? That was 9 goals and two starting goalie pulls ago.

The number has changed, why can't you accept that?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, "end of game 3" should read "end of game 4"

The point stands.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Time is moving so slowly today. Come on, clock, you can do it!

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"reefo: only thing confusing to me is why you keep arguing that there is only one answer to the 3-1 question. Denial of the number does not make it go away. Nice try, though."

You love the numbers so here's one for you: ZERO - that's how many games 7 the Rags won on the road...

Posted by: Kroke96 | April 28, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

reefo has apparently forgotten one Rangers statistic -- the Rangers are 0-4 in game 7s away from MSG.

Posted by: rw-c | April 28, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

It's a tie at 2:24! :-)

Posted by: rw-c | April 28, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

ranndino, all that was missing from that dialogue was a high pitched Betts, "K thx!"

To everyone heading to RFD - i miss you!
RFD- ITS A SPORTS BAR!

Enjoy the game caps fans, I sadly will be facing a dark pit in a library attempting to prepare for my thesis defense at 8 tomorrow...but still rockin the red.

Posted by: abuddy2004 | April 28, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Rw-c

game,set and match!!!! TY

Posted by: bhound69 | April 28, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey mouse33: not a ceo - member of congress.

And to croc and the other oh-for, here's one: how many cups have the caps won?

Would love to see the idiots on this forum if Orr had decked semin - or heaven forbig-Ovechkin like that. With not even a penalty called.

Posted by: reefo | April 28, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

reefo, be careful, they get really angry if you try to make an argument that makes sense and talk about hockey in a way that doesn't support their team. they also get really angry if you say anything that might be slightly disrespectful to their team yet call NYers "d-bags," "felons" and make fun of our "low intellect." Apparently its easier for them to only commiserate with those who agree with everything they say. Its much safer that way.

They will attack you, say the most nasty, vitriolic things about you, your family and your health for disagreeing with them on these boards and in the same breath talk about how vile NY fans are, without seeing the irony. As I've learned, these boards aren't for talking about hockey or having intelligent hockey conversations.

Posted by: JK111 | April 28, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@ reefo
Typical NYer. Faced with defeat, you start pulling out insignificant historical facts, resigned to reminisce about the past, unable to cope with the present and impending failure.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 28, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

why do 2 rangers fans come to a caps message board to havea conversation with each other?

Posted by: _stevo | April 28, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

JK111,

Maybe you should ask Glen to write a letter to the Washington Post about it. I hear he's all about that sort of crybaby nonsense.

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Almost forgot for buttman:

Posted by: reefo | April 28, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@JK
You will get that behavior on any blog, not just the Caps'. Case in point, Fischler's blog on MSG. Bunch of degenerates on that board, which makes it difficult to find intelligent comments though they do exist.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 28, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"Orr had decked semin - or heaven forbig-Ovechkin like that."

Are you being purposefully ironic here? Orr *did* cheapshot Semin in game 3.

And Dubinsky boarded Green in Game 6.

And I'm not even bringing up Avery...

Oh, and your goons have tried to deck OV on several occaisions, but it doesn't work because he dishes it right back out to them.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

snakegriffin, i HATE Fischler's blog for the same reason....i'm pretty consistent in that way. Plus, for a guy who knows a lot about hockey, Fischler is a ridiculous homer....his blog today is probably "We've Got Them Right Where We Want Them"

I don't condone nasty behavior on either side

Posted by: JK111 | April 28, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1's advice needs to be heeded. If by some slim chance the rags should get the first goal those in attendance CANNOT get quiet and let the home ice advantage slip away. STAY LOUD!!! We've seen numerous opposing team's 2 goal leads evaporate with less than 5 minutes left this season. The CAPS' offense cannot be stopped, even by a hot goaltender, as proven in this very series. This team is by far the most talented team in CAPS' history. My father began taking me to games in the 1974 inaugural season. THIS TEAM WILL BE A STANLEY CUP WINNER!! Fans, Rock the red tonight whether you are in attendance, at the pub or watching at home. YOU'VE GOT TO BELIEVE!! I am a D.C. native and I'm absolutely sick and tired of Philly, NY and Dallas fans crashing our local venues and showing their complete lack of class. D.C. STAND UP AND SHOW SOME PRIDE AND SUPPORT FOR YOUR HOME TEAM. THIS IS THE TIME SO BRING IT! UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ktrent1214 | April 28, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

BTW - my point about the lack of real hockey fans on this forum is being made for me by all the momos who talk about NY and Sather.

Have a party to plan for tomorrow.

Posted by: reefo | April 28, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I do statistics for a living, billions of dollars worth.

There was never an 8% or 12% chance the Caps would win the series. Just because in the past 8% or 12% of teams win, once in a given circumstance, doesn't mean in this instance the Caps had that possibility, just like whenever the Caps were 3-1 up that the Penguins, as we know, only had that chance.

The vast majority of the time, the team up 3-1 is the superior team to begin with.

OK, in total, in NHL history, a certain percentage in a given circumstance has come back to win. Each instance, on its own, is unique and has its own odds.

Now - back to my cost estimate!

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 28, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry, but this is not about winning one game. It's about winning 3 in a row. Taken one by one, sure the odds are close. But there is a reason teams need to win 4."

Actually, it *is* about winning one game. That's all it's about. That's why game 7s are great, it all comes down to one game.

That's the point you're continually missing: the Caps have already defied the odds by winning the last two - there is only one more.

Stating that there is an "overwhelming probability" that the Rags win because there was at the end of game 4 doesn't make sense either mathematically or logically.

I keep trying to clarify this for you, but you refuse to tell me which part is confusing. You just keep repeating the same thing over and over again. FWIW, the offer stands - If you ever want to admit that you're way over your head here (math can be hard), I'd love to help expalin it to you further.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 - thank you for posting something logical and intelligent - qualities sorely lacking in most of the other commentary!

Statistics mean nothing at this point - on any given night, anything can happen. I just want it to be game time already so we can stop speculating and hoping and fidgeting, and start cheering on our team!

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 28, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh no! But you've brought so much substance to this board! We were lost without you and your infatile grasp of statistical probability and childish namecalling. Whatever shall we do?!?

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, after game 4, I thought the Caps had:

an 80% chance to win Game 5
a 50/50 chance to then win game 6
and an 80% chance to then win Game 7

So you take .8 x .5 x .8 and you come up with the Caps as having started game 5 with a 32% chance to win the series. Did anyone check or have the Vegas odds at that point? Go and check and I'll bet they gave the Caps 25-35% chance to win. Probably 25% since NYers bet more than DCers and they play the odds like that.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 28, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Rangers fan here, and by that I mean a realistic Rangers fan. From the little I have been able to watch of the series, the games that the Rangers have been able to win have been because they have contained stars, kept things to the outside, and have had great goaltending. They are not a great team...noone, including most Rangers fans believe that. They can be decent when they stick to a certain gameplan, but they are not the 80s Oilers. If the Rangers win the series, it's because they executed. If the Caps win the series, it's because they are more talented. So let's not even get into the "we are better" or "you cheated" or whatever. That being said, if Dubinsky was bit...come on...you're going to defend that? Only two people know if it's true, but come on. And Brashear? It wasnt only because Betts wasnt expecting the hit. Be adults, take off your pampers. It's because it was to the head and I dont think the puck was even close. I didnt see the game live, but have seen the replays and there should have been some action taken against him. He's a goon. If he were on any other team, you wouldnt give him a band-aid if he just got run over by a car. I've watched him for years and it's always the same. And dont even try...I hate Avery.

Posted by: czano | April 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"Only a handful of guys on this space with anything meanigful to say. Maybe I'll go away let you get back to your rah-rah messages."

If you're looking for feedback, we've had WAY better trolls on this board. Most of the time it came off like you weren't even trying.

Look around for some SC_07 posts, that guy is a troll virtuoso compared to you.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

MP: Go back to mopping the floor - what you were already doing.

Posted by: reefo | April 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Go Varly!
Go Feds!
Go Caps!
Go Corinthians!

Posted by: MiaLeonaldo | April 28, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

" if Dubinsky was bit...come on...you're going to defend that?"

Who's defending that?

We're calling Duby crazy for thinking he was bit, and the Rags organization Drama Queens for all the pomp and circumstance surrounding it - demanding dental records and etc.

If Dubinsky was actually bit, there would be picture, it would be big news, there would be any sort of evidence whatsoever, and there is none.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

reefo,

Sorry, I can't hear you over the roar of my upper middle-class income.

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Last post for the day - I'm off to Chinatown! Rock the RED y'all!

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 28, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: czano | April 28, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

VTDuffman, can you point me to the article about the dental records? I've seen nothing about that

ModestProposal....are you for real?

Posted by: JK111 | April 28, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I can't hear you over the roar of my upper middle-class income.

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I love it!!

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 28, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@JK111 & reefo: When the Capitals were taking cheap shots from your team, they took their lumps. They didn't have their management team write a whiney letter to the NHL.

When we're being supportive of our team, we didn't go over to the New York papers and start passively trying to help the New Yorkers understand what's wrong with their team. But the Rangers' fans, such as yourselves, somehow feel vindicated by coming here to do what exactly? And yet express shock and horror at how little we think of you.

Discussion about hockey - legitimate. Your discussions however, have been all about justifying 6 days on Brashear and ignoring the cheap shots Avery was taking; overlooking the number of times we obliterated your team 4 to 0 and led your team for an entire game. There's a lot for discussion but when you're consistently proven wrong, it gets a little frustrating I suppose to listen to you two ignore facts brought to your attention. Good luck to your team, though. They're going to need it tonight.

Let's GOooOOO Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 28, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

It has been reported that Dubi has a bandage over his hand where he was "bit". If this is the case, how can someone bite through a hockey glove and make any kind of a wound?

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 28, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"ModestProposal....are you for real?"

For real not a janitor? Yes, for real.

Time to head to Chinatown. Thanks to the NYers - it's been entertaining. Peace.

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 28, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"Duffman - Actually you just defended it, albeit with an 3rd grade argument similar to what you are complaining about. Well done."

How do you figure? I don't think he was bit, and I haven't seen evidence to counter that. Saying "there's no evidence that he was bit" isn't a defense of him being bit, it's a denail it happend at all, which I do until proven otherwise.

JKS...let me look, I swear I saw it somewhere.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

JKS, that was my mistake. It was someone in a different thread makign a joke. Sorry about that.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 28, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Duff: I posted yesterday, as a joke, that the Rangers had demanded dental records. I then put paren G paren after that, but the note got posted with the paren G paren left off (must be some software thingy - must be why everyone puts the :)

Anyway, I'm sure one of sather's lackeys at least suggested the idea.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 28, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

maybe we should compare tax returns, lol

LeftCoast, I never defended Avery and was very annoyed he did what he did. I felt he deserved every penalty he got, including the misconduct. I thought it was borderline suspendible and assumed he would be suspended because of who it was, and I think the NHL did not suspend him because it would have had to be based upon cumulative events, which I don't believe they usually do. The Brashear hit was in an entirely different category.

And yes, you've won 3 games this series, as have we...final scores are irrelevant.

And here's a fun trivia question....does anyone know what Brashear did in the game before McSorley took him out in that game in 2000? And of course I don't condone what McSorley did by the way

Posted by: JK111 | April 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

VTDuffman, i wasn't being jerky there, i had heard something about that too, i think on this board somewhere and i was actually curious whether it was reported somewhere, but thanks for not being defensive because thats not how i meant it

Posted by: JK111 | April 28, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

completely off topic, VT Duff - is your VT is my beloved hokies?

Posted by: abuddy2004 | April 28, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

It's a 5:00 faceoff in Colorado; how do I work in an eleven year olds birthday dinner and her school concert (7:00 here) all while trying to somehow watch this game? This is killing me!!!

A little over three hours to go!

Posted by: ColoradoCAPSfan | April 28, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

The better team by far is the Caps, but the odds of coming back from 3-1 are long. A lucky/fluky goal could give the Rangers some confidence and then they could go into a shell to protect the lead. The big difference between last year's Game 7 and this year's is that the Caps-Flyers were evenly matched and the games were close. The Caps also had to go on an amazing streak to win the division and were a little bit worn out by Game 7.

I think the Caps have everthing going there way to win this game....and this should be Ovie's signature moment to take his team to the next round. If Varly holds up his end, the Caps should be able to win.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 28, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 28, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the insights and comments to all posters, even the NY fans---you have some interesting things to say. It's been a nice distraction while waiting for 7 PM and trying to calm my nerves. I hope lornemyoung's wife is doing well.

It's all down to this game now. None of the rest of the chatter matters. Brash's suspension, Avery's obnoxiousness, etc etc., water under the bridge. And I sure as heck hope that we'll be enjoying more drama in the second round with our Caps. They have the talent, and let's ROCK THE RED!!!!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 28, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I can`t make it to the game tonight,but I hope I hear the crowd loud on my tv.I know the Caps will handle theirs,but I hope I don`t hear any if they don`t score on 1st pp.I don`t want to hear shoot it!on the pp when the Cap player is at the point on his backhand.I say watch the game and cheer not jeer,they deserve that! LET`S GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: 23right | April 28, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@JK111: Your mild annoyance doesn't do much to convince any of the Capitals or the fans that everything that Avery was doing throughout the series was without serious intent to hurt or injure them. He drew blood with the stick to Jurcina and yet here's Campbell breathing a sigh of relief, making a judgement call from his ivory tower, that Jurcina wasn't seriously injured. No one in the Rangers' organization can validly claim that Brashear had every intention of hurting Betts with that shoulder hit, which everyone is saying is legal. Betts' injury is a direct result of him not keeping his head up. Compare Brashear and Avery, Avery has intent and it's obvious in his body language (jumping backwards into Jurcina) versus Brashear coming up beside Betts and issuing a shoulder bump.

Don't make out Brashear to be a guy itching to break anyone's orbital bone. Issue key punches to the face, maybe. Hitting a guy so he falls face first into the ice, not likely. Again, the boards can discuss with you until the game begins, but really, our players and the game tonight answer any lingering questions or concerns.

Caps have the skill and the determination to win tonight. Let's GOOO Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 28, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse