Boudreau on Hopefuls: 'I'll Know When I See It'

Here are a few notes from this morning's skate:

*I'm working on a story on Alexandre Giroux, one of only two opening-night hopefuls who will have played in all three preseason games after tonight. So it's obvious that Boudreau and the Caps are giving the 28-year-old every opportunity to make this team. Tonight, Giroux will skate with Keith Aucoin (his linemate in Hershey) and Alexander Semin on the second line.

(Andrew Gordon, by the way, is the other player who will have suited up three times.)

*Conversely, Michael Nylander won't play tonight, meaning he has not suited up once this preseason. Asked if he's going to play at all, Boudreau said, "I don't know. Potentially."

*Boudreau on bubble players and what they've got to do to snag a spot on the opening-night roster: "I don't know what I need to see, but I'll know when I see it. You can watch a game and see if a guy is a good fit or not a good fit for our team. ... It's certainly to their advantage with Fehr and Fleischmann on the shelf. Somebody's just got to grab and don't let go. For want of a better term, pull a Wally Pipp on these guys. If they do that, they're going to get a job. And when [Fehr and Fleischmann] get back and we can afford to keep [the new player], somebody else has seen them and there's a good chance they'll get picked up."

*Boudreau also said he plans to use the Thursday and Sunday preseason games as dress rehearsals.

*Tonight will mark the preseason debut of the Alex Ovechkin-Nicklas Backstrom-Mike Knuble line. But Boudreau said he plans to use Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin on Wednesday, with Knuble getting second-line duty and Brendan Morrison as his center.

"We're still in the experimentation stage," Boudreau said. "Whether I like it not or whether I don't like it, I have a tendency to change lines around a lot. So everybody gets to know somebody."

*Young goalies Semyon Varlamov and Michal Neuvirth were both solid in their preseason debuts. Tonight, the spotlight will be on veteran Jose Theodore. Asked whether there's any clarity to the goaltending situation after the first two exhibitions, Boudreau cracked: "If you could see in my head, it's not clear."

"We'll see how Theo plays tonight," he added. "He's practiced really well. I'm hoping he has a great game."

*Boudreau on the status of Jeff Schultz, who is playing tonight but is battling to secure a spot in the top four after missing the playoffs with an injury: "I thought he was really good in Buffalo. There's a reason for a long part of the year he was in our top four last year. It seems things changed around a little but once he got hurt in the playoffs. He wants to get back into that top four. He's playing well and I'm expecting another good game tonight."

On the flack Schultz catches from fans: "He seems to be the guy they pick on a little bit. But to the coaching staff, he's a really valuable player to have. ...In any sport, there's somebody that somebody doesn't like. It's not warranted in Jeff's case because he's played really good for us. But he seems to be a guy the fans have an easy attack mode, and I wish they would turn it off."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 21, 2009; 12:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineup: Caps vs. Sabres
Next: Sabres 2, Caps 1

Comments

I am glad to see the vote of confidence on Schultz from Coach BB. Like him, I wish the Schultz critics would tone it down.

Posted by: _Mark | September 21, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Schultz is a victim of the inability of Caps fans to understand stats.

Posted by: majiksea | September 21, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Some of those critics have every bad play that Shultz has ever made on continuous loop in their head, so they never see anything positive in his game.

Posted by: _Mark | September 21, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@majiksea

Indeed he is.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 21, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

It's not stats.

Posted by: jmy999 | September 21, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Shultz can learn not to screen his own goalie this year.

Posted by: whiteltng | September 21, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Schultz is a fine defenseman. But I think Caps fans in general wish he would just be that tough gritty crease clearing D-man that we want. I don't think Schultz is the first one off the blue line even if we find this mean D-man.

Posted by: ZMANN84 | September 21, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh and FYI: Schultz is HUGE!! If he would just get a mean streak in him and start hitting, he would be much better.

Posted by: ZMANN84 | September 21, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@_Mark

Others just don't understand that just because your a tall guy doesn't mean you have the play the big bruising defenseman role to be effective.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 21, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Brought from previous thread:

Gonchar demanded a trade. That's why longtime Caps fans like me dislike him so much. He was going to be the anchor of the defense, he didn't want to be.

Olie wasn't treated that badly. As a matter of fact Johnson was playing better than Olie when Huet showed up. Olie was able to keep dressing and Johnson was the healthy scratch. We definitely made the right move in regards to Olie, he didn't play much last season due to injury and was traded to Toronto at the end. Now, if Olie comes asking for a job and the Caps don't offer him something like a scouting job, at that point I would feel he was slighted. He was a great goalie for a number of years but HE is the one that didn't recognize he was done.

I too would have loved to see Bondra skate his last NHL game in a Caps jersey. He signed for the league minimum, or close to it his last season. It would have been nice to see him off after his last home game at Verizon. The Bondra trade worked out for us, thanks for Brooksie Ottawa!

Oates, he wasn't treated poorly, he was traded to a good team.

CalleJo, I don't remember the circumstances behind him hanging them up. He was a good solid D for us for a long time.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Heck yeah, he'd be even better if he had that mean streak, but I don't see that coming any time soon. He will continue to improve his positioning, gain strength, and make a positive difference for us defensively.

Posted by: _Mark | September 21, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Schultz isn't that he's not good, it's that he could be twice as good as he is now if he would learn to use his size to his advantage. The Caps don't need another "effective" defenseman; they need a tough, physical, stay-at-home defender who makes opposing forwards hesitate when they cross the blue line. Schultz could be that guy, but he wasn't last year and it remains to be seen if he'll be that guy this year.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | September 21, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah - Schultz is AWESOME! just check out his stats! Never mind he gets turned inside out by talent, nor that we already have two tall soft defensemen in Poti(overpayed) and Jurcina.

If Schultz is so amazing, surely we could trade him for some top talent - maybe Philly would give us Pronger or Leafs give us Schenn??

LOL - Schultz - praying Alzner or someone displaces him.

Posted by: Jaymagz | September 21, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I think Schultz is a tough guy for the average fan to understand, for a couple of reasons.

For one thing, he's big but not physical - because that's not his game. I'd love if he occasionally finished a check but running guys into the boards is never going to be what he does and if you're expecting that, you'll be disappointed.

For another, he's still very young and the D position is a technically difficult position to play; takes guys years to really get it down. People are so willing to give up on these guys if they don't "see" instant results, and with D (and goaltenders) that's usually just not going to happen.

And as someone alluded to above, people only remember his mistakes - because that's when he stands out. When he's having a great game or even just a good game he's not as noticeable, which happens more often than not. It's different than someone like Green, for example, who is generally having a good game when you CAN see him.

Posted by: SEvanson | September 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

i may be wrong but i think schultz is a plus player for his career i think the reason people bash him is they are NEW FANS BECAUSE OF THE WINNING and dont understand hockey just because a guy does not score goals does not mean he is a bad dman he is a stay at home dman

Posted by: baltraven52 | September 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The only important stat is cup wins.

Posted by: ejohnsto | September 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Schultz is a great defenseman and presence if you like a 6'4 225 pounder that has trouble handling the puck in his own zone and refuses to play a physical game.

In my mind there are a number of defensemen on this team that show themselves to be capable of being the #5-#7 defensemen on a championship team.

I don't see a logjam of players that are vying for slots at the top of the order, guys you are going to count on during the regular season and playoffs to be the wall in front of the goaltender.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 21, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Blaming Gonchar is dumb. He demanded a trade because after 12 years or whatever of dedicated service to us, we only made it to the finals once. I have no ill will towards Gonchar, and was more than happy for him when he won the Cup.

It's like how Boston fans are all up in arms over Kessel leaving. Ridiculous to think he should have taken a price cut/live through a rebuild just because we as fans feel they owe us something. The players don't owe us nothing.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

just to follow up schultz is a +30 in 174 career games that is pretty good for a young dman

Posted by: baltraven52 | September 21, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

And there is no reason to sugar coat it or make up reasons. A lot of Caps fans dislike Gonchar for one reason and one reason only. And it has nothing to do with being traded to Boston.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

To be able to afford players like #8, we need to have players that earn less money. Quite simple really. For the money- Jeff Schultz is one of the most cost-effective players we have. To argue otherwise is just plain obstinate. This is not an opinion folks- it's simple fact.

Posted by: Fro_ | September 21, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't owe us anything.*

Double negatives...ah.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: baltraven52 | September 21, 2009 1:20 PM |

If Schultz was a "stay at home" d man, then most Caps fan would be perfectly happy, I think.

I have no problem with Schultz, but your rant at taking jabs at "new fans" seems a bit unwarranted.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

just another thing about schultz,pronger was a -33 in his first 202 career games schultz is young and already a + player people need to do research before they bash a guy but there are alot of new capital fans now with them winning and they know nothing about hockey lifelong caps fan myself not a new fan

Posted by: baltraven52 | September 21, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Malkin and Crosby scored a combined one goal when Schultz was matched up against them 5v5 last year. So clearly Schultz sucks.

Posted by: Section117 | September 21, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Did we miss Schultz in last yr's playoffs? I don't think so. We had a solid defense against the Rangers. The player Schultz would have potentially replaced for the entire series- Erskine - played very well and was exactly the presence we needed in the defensive zone. Schultz's documented weaknesses are along the boards when he has to go chase a puck down while getting hammered, and clearing the crease. Both those weaknesses show up pretty visibly in the playoffs. Avery and company wouldve treated him like a b**ch. At least Jurcina pushed back.

Against the Penguins, unless Schultz somehow replaced Poti, I don't think we missed him there either. He obviously does something well -- when he has time he can look smooth and make a good first pass (except for the times he whiffs on the puck). But under pressure, he's no good.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@Richmondphil: That's your opinion, and the fact that I dislike Gonchar for leaving is mine. Not your place to judge my opinion. Money was no object he chose to leave a fan base that always treated him well. He ditched us when we were rebuilding so I don't like him, period.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

by the way, the statement that the reason longtime Caps fans disliked Gonch because he demanded a trade, thats false. Longtime Caps fans disliked Gonch because he was lazy in his own end and decided to strictly become an offensive defenseman even though he proved he could do it at both ends of the ice. We disliked him long before the actual trade went down.

Michel Therien really got on Gonch to improve his defensive game, and he did. And being paired with Orpik seemed to help.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

you think the fanbase treated him well? Everytime he screwed up in his own end or made a terrible pass to lose a playoff series after playing like crap all series long (remember that one?) he got hooted and hollered at. I don't think the fanbase treated him well and I don't think he deserved our adulation.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Longtime Caps fans hate him because he is wearing a Gold and Black uniform. Nothing more...nothing less.

I don't think it's your place to judge Gonchar. So until that happens, I will continue to judge your opinion about him.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we did miss him in last years playoffs. When we had two defenders playing with a broken foot, he would have been good to have in there.

Posted by: _Mark | September 21, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

anyone know if sugden is still with the caps or if he is going to play in any preseason games?

Posted by: _stevo | September 21, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I think maybe he gets a shot if we play a team loaded with tough guys. Lets face it -- Sugden isn't part of the new Caps style. He's there for Hershey, for the young kids.

If we were playing a team like Toronto or Philly or Calgary etc then maybe we'd see him. There's been a ton of preseason fights in those games so far. Toronto will eclipse the 2006 Anaheim Ducks in fights this year. Don Cherry must be in heaven. They had a dandy game against the Flyers a coupla days ago. Jason Allison (ex-Cap) ripped Darrol Powe's helmet in two with his hand. Unreal.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Mark | September 21, 2009 1:48 PM |

Sloan.

Granted, Schultz was "injured."

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

in gonchar trade we got morrison and the pick turned out to be schultz the 2nd we got not a good pick but 2 solid dman for gonchar

Posted by: baltraven52 | September 21, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 1:49 PM |

That was hilarious.

Emery looked like complete garbage.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Leopard:

Seriously, I have a lot of respect for Bruce and George but when I hear both of them say no moves on defense were necessary because of the great depth there I have to smirk a bit.--

I think he's 6ft 6. And I think maybe you may seem him become a tad more physical this year. But either way, he's not some indispensable piece to our equation. Carlson's already way ahead of him and he was drafted much later. I wouldve liked to have heard Schultzie say what Alzner said this year - he wants to add a physical aspect to his game. Unlike a lot of fans who have claimed that somehow being physical would be a detriment to the style that Alz and Schultz play.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Point taken about Sloan not being put in.

Posted by: _Mark | September 21, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

yeah philly's weakness is their goaltending. And it'll be interesting to see how much Pronger has in his tank. Jason Smith didn't have anything left when they got him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I think Emery is a very good goaltender, when he's on his game. He just looked incredibly bad last night. Toskala did too though, FWIW.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

You know, the Islanders had a defenceman (6'9'', 250lbs) that had 2 goals, 7 assists, and was -27 in his third full year in the NHL at age 23. Tired of waiting for him to develop, the Islanders traded Zdeno Chara to Ottawa in a package for Alexei Yashin. Ooops.

Posted by: Caps21 | September 21, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Emery will fit right into Philly's broadstreet bully days. He's like Hextall reincarnated. I'm looking forward to seeing their games with the Leafs this year. Toronto picked up 14 players in the offseason that are nasty to play against. Not 14 for their active roster but 14 sprinkled thru their org including their draft picks. And adding Komisarek, Exelby and Beauchemin to a D that already had Luke Schenn will help greatly. They scored enough goals last year, but they had the worst defense in hockey.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Mike Milbury.

Bad commentator, even worse GM.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Schultz does a few things really well, which is why he dresses. 1 because he has a huge reach, he cuts down the passing lanes in our zone, particularly on the PK. 2 He doesnt take stupid penalties. 3 he keeps his game really simple.

If he can start winning battles in the corner and clear the crease, Bruce will dress him. Also his +/- is better than Poti over the past 2 seasons.

Posted by: pch49 | September 21, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1: I wrote: "That's why longtime Caps fans like me dislike him so much." I said ME, longtime Caps fan like ME. I have a whole group longtime Cap season ticket holders in my same area of Verizon that dislike Goncher for the same exact reason I do, he demanded to leave.

You have done nothing but trash the Caps for last year's playoff performance, and now you can say our D didn't miss Schultz in the series against the Rangers? They must have if they were lucky to get past the Rangers without one of their top 4 D. BB stated he was top 4 last season, that means, whether some of you like it or not, he was getting top 4 minutes on a team with 50 wins and 108pts.

For those that like Pronger's style. He famously cross-checks players in the back that are in the slot. He got away with it elsewhere, not in Philly, not when playing the Pens, he will be in the box or alter his position fighting ways in front of the net in his new division. If Crosby goes down next to the crease because of a Pronger crosscheck in the back, guess who's going to get a personal escort to the box.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil - So true. How Milbury is in the broadcast booth is a mystery to me.

Posted by: pch49 | September 21, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

What defines a stupid penalty? I think Schultz takes hooking and holding calls that are stupid because if he just used his body instead of his stick he'd be able to push players off the puck. But like a Semin, he stops skating, gets caught flatfooted and then reaches out with his stick. Nothing more depressing than seeing a 6ft6 player hooking down another player.

But going back to what is a "stupid" penalty...is it stupid when Erskine maybe gets a roughing call in the crease? Technically, he's not taking a necessary penalty to stop a scoring chance. He's asserting his presence in the crease. Some fans would consider that a stupid penalty.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Richmondphil's on me today. You pizz on this site like you own it all the time. When I judge Gonchar I admit he is a great hockey player. The fact that I, and many many others dislike him because he did not want to be part of our rebuild, is a fact. New Caps fans wouldn't know that about Gonchar. It's part of Caps history. You can be a fan of Gonchar, fine, I'm not. Since you are always looking for a reason to attack someone, attack that opinion.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pch49 | September 21, 2009 2:11 PM |

Hey, it's got to be better than at the helm of an NHL team, I guess. He screwed the Islanders all sorts of different ways.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Fanock-- Before you get all emotional about Schultzie, who would he take ice time away from if he had played in the playoffs? Probably the players considered our 3rd pair guys - Jurcina or Erskine. Both of whom played very well. So unless you're talking about him possibly replacing an injured Green or Poti, you're talking about weakening our defensive lineup if he replaced Juice or Erskine in last yr's playoffs.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Other players traded by Milbury: Wade Redden, Roberto Luongo, Bryan McCabe, Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, Tim Connolly, and Raffi Torres. He also drafted DiPietro over Heatley and Gaborik (though I guess all three of those guys have their issues), and the number 2 pick that went with Chara to Ottawa became Jason Spezza.

Posted by: Caps21 | September 21, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 2:14 PM |

Yeah man...I guess.

It's not the fact that fans think grown a$$ men owe them something.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

BB's comments about being confident that Fehr and Fleischmann would draw interest from other teams if the new player was doing well makes me nervous, only because Fehr's injury and Fleischmann's illness seemed to have had an impact on their production. Given a chance to play healthy, I think they would show their value and earn better trade compensation. As it stands, I worry that another team would get the better end of any deal that was made. Otherwise, I have no problem replacing them with healthy, cheaper versions.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | September 21, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

fanock:
The fact that I, and many many others dislike him because he did not want to be part of our rebuild, is a fact--

You made a statement on the previous blog that the reason longtime fans disliked him was because he apparently demanded a trade. I've heard dozens and dozens of longtime fans who had absolutely nothing bad to say about Gonch because of the trade. They disliked him yrs and yrs earlier for his style of play, that is all.
Frankly, I don't even know about this demand for a trade. The Caps were better off without him because we cut salary and picked up prospects. His game got better in Pittsburgh anyway, he was playing like total dogs__t defensively for us in the years leading upto the trade. There's more to life than just "points from the blueline"

In fact, you're the first longtime fan I've ever encountered who has used the trade as a reason to bash him. I was ecstatic when he got traded. He didn't really showed he cared that much about losing in those dark yrs.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say he owe's me anything richmondphil, I said I dislike him for leaving when the Caps asked him to be the anchor for our rebuild. He doesn't owe me a THING. NOTHING. I also don't have to wish him luck either. Now, players like Jagr who NEVER asked to be traded but were moved during the purge, I do not dislike. He never asked to leave he was sent packing. Ted chose to eat a portion of his salary without his services.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

lol, i love how your reduce Pronger's ability to help his team with simply a reference to his liberal use of his stick. There's a heckuva lot more to Pronger's game than that. And Pronger himself gets away with a lot because of who he is. You make it sound like he's a dumb thug who won't get anywhere with officials if he clears a few Penguins from the crease. He's hammered more than a few "stars" over his career and gotten away with it. And if he gets a 2 min minor for hammering Crosby, I bet the Flyers wouldnt mind that much. It'll make Sid think twice about poking away at rebounds. Maybe the Caps shoulda done that last yr and taken a 2 min minor for whacking Crosby. Maybe he wouldn't have been so comfortable setting up shop in our crease.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: You saw BB's quote, he was a top 4 D before his injury. He would have been in the line-up every night. Whether you, me, or anyone else thinks BB is crazy, he would have been in the line-up.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

On a team where the majority of the players took stupid penalties, please to point to one of Schultz' 8 penalties last year that were stupid, fighting "major" aside.

Posted by: Section117 | September 21, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

You dislike Konowalchuk for pushing for a trade when he just couldn't take Jagr's locker-room pouty routines anymore?

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fro_

Makes a good point

Posted by: pkendrick | September 21, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I grant you that. I don't think BB would be vocipherous (sp?) in his praise if he didn't genuinely like Schultz's game. So I suppose at the risk of being called an arrogant fan, I will politely part ways with BB on this one. Maybe BB just sees more potential so he sticks with Schultz. Based on what I've seen from JS over the past few yrs, he does not seem to be a critical piece of our puzzle and I don't think we missed him one bit in last yr's playoffs considering he would have taken ice time away from JE and MJ.

I've also seen Bruce pull Schultz from the top 4 lineup in games where he's not playing well and he's given that ice time to Juice. He had total faith in Juice in last yr's playoffs and increased faith in Erskine.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 2:25 PM |

I dont know, but when you say that you dislike him for that reason, it implies that you feel like he owed that to us. Does it not?

I've never heard about him demanding a trade until now. As far as I knew, he was asked to stay for the rebuild and decided not to. Him asking for a demand to be traded doesn't even make sense to me. He was in a contract year, was he not? He could have just signed to a different team during the off-season as a UFA and thus, not benefit the team who he is leaving. (like in the case of demanding a trade, where it would benefit the team he is losing at the expense of the team he is joining)

Demanding a trade and making it known that you aren't going to resign are two entirely different things.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Schultz is that he doesn't know what he is. He is big but not a big hitter, he is not a scorer like Green, and he is not a shot blocker (only 93 last year which was 5th among our Dmen). He really doesn't do anything well he just is out there. While that is not always bad it is not what the Caps need. They need a big time hitter who can cause problems for the top guns on the other team. And Section117 the one goal stat sounds impressive but how much was he on the ice against either of those two? Considering he wasn't eating up the 30:00 a game Pronger can sometimes get I would be willing to bet not much. Is Schultz a horrible player? No, but we have guys who are better and should play over him. Green, Alzner, Poti, Earskne, Pothier, Juice, and Morrison are all better then him IMO so the Caps should send him down to the Bears and get him to learn how to use his size to make more of an impact on the game and then in a year or two he can come back and be a better player. Also plus minus is a very overrated stat as it is more about who you play for then how good you are as a single player. Look at someone like Brian Rafalski who went from NJ in 2007 to Detroit and had his +/- go from 6,0, and 4 in NJ to 27, and 17 in Detroit. For those who still don't get it who you rather have on you team (if money wasn't an issue) Jeff Schultz (+13 last year +30 career) of Brooks Orpik (+10 last year -19 career) Both don't add much offense to the game and Schultz has the better plus minus even last year when they both played on good teams but Orpik is the better player by far.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | September 21, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Fine, he took 8 stupid minors last year. Frankly, I can't remember one penalty he's ever taken that I thought was a necessary good penalty. FTR, I consider any "lazy" penalties to me more detrimental to a team than an "aggressive" penalty. When Semin loses the puck because he overhandles it and then sticks his stick out, that's an awful penalty in my book. I'd rather see one of our forwards get called for boarding in the offensive zone. Or Erskine getting a roughing call because he's sick of seeing forwards camped in our crease or poking at rebounds.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:27 PM |

Again, Kono isn't rocking the Black and Gold.... ;)

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

2 tix for tonight's game, sec 405 row C. Free. reply with email and I will pass them off pregame

Posted by: donkey1 | September 21, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

good point but you'll probably get fans here who will stick pick Schultzie (chuckle)

They'll critique Orpik for consistently taking himself out of position for a big hit (which he hasn't done since his rookie yr). Or that his hitting overshadows his defensive deficiencies which are covered up by his partner Gonch.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:27 PM |

Again, Kono isn't rocking the Black and Gold.... ;)

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah, the Pittsburgh thing...sounds logical.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm not going to disrespect my man Gabby. Out of respect for him, I will cease my assault of deer-in-headlights, pylon, screen-machine, Schultz.

Posted by: large23220 | September 21, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to jump all over Fanock anymore personally. He let me slide on a bet last yr. But for my own curiousity, where did you get this info that Gonch was being a real d!ck leading upto the last rebuild? I have honestly never heard that. My perception was, players know this is a business and he was willing to accomodate what the Caps felt they had to do to jumpstart a new direction. And that it was management who was looking to dump him and his salary so they could cut costs and rebuild the team with prospects.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Um..I would take Orpik over Schultz easily, if money was not an issue. 1000 times out of 1000.

I like Schultz, I do. I'm not saying what cstanton1 is saying, but if anyone seriously though Schultz would be a better pick over Orpik in a vacuum, I would advise to stop huffing your children's art supplies.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

What defines a stupid penalty?
I'd say tripping/hooking/holding in the offensive zone qualifies.

Schultz had 21 PM's last year. 5 of those were for a fight. That's 8 minors over the season.

at a little over $7 and a 2 way, I think it would be a bad move to deal him.

Posted by: pch49 | September 21, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

It's actually something that bugs me about professional sports. Like how Boston fans are all up in arms over Kessel leaving. Maybe Chia should not have signed freaking Morris, or waited on Krejci. But the fact that fans are blaming Kessel for the situation is completely absurd. Kessel is a grown man (granted he is 21) who can do whatever he wants. Who are we, as fans, to say "no, he should have taken a 2 mil/yr paycut." ? All of us can say that we would not play for money or take a hometown discount, but when it comes down to it, it's their job. Put yourself in their shoes.

I am sure if Gonchar knew we would be a Cup contender so quickly, he would have stayed. But, he can't look into the future.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

no doubt Orpik is a better Dman. He is also making $3.75m, Schultz is making $750k.

Posted by: pch49 | September 21, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

All,
I had to post my tickets for sale on the caps ticket exchange, will not be able to use my seats tonight. They won't let me sell them at anything less than face value on there though....
Section 117, Row W, Seats 3/4 if anyone wants to go tonight.

Posted by: caps28fan | September 21, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pch49 | September 21, 2009 2:52 PM |

hence, in a vacuum.

Instead of talking about Schultz, we should be talking about a dman who will be gone in order for us to fit under the cap; ie ShaMo or Juice. Which one, and when is the inevitable going to happen?

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

wish I could go, but I live out west. I'm interested to see how Ovie and Nick skate with Knuble.

Posted by: pch49 | September 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

On ES he was against Malkin for 30:51 and 26:41 against Crosby. Crosby scored once.

Posted by: Section117 | September 21, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pch49 | September 21, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying an Orpik is the only option. I'd be happy with a player like Mark Stuart from Boston or a young rookie like Nick Petrecki. But this org has traditionally always passed up chances to draft those types of rugged quality defensive defensemen. We'd rather draft guys like Eric Mestery, Pokulok or Schultz.

Then we complain that the same type of player is too expensive to acquire via free agency.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

yep - agreed.

I have to think the majority of teams out there want Alzner and/or Green, but I doubt that happens. Next up would be Poti ($3.5) or ShaMo ($1.95) imo. Tough call but at that price I suspect ShaMo would be an easier sell.

Posted by: pch49 | September 21, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough. But if one's going to suggest that Juice and Erskine are better defenseman, bear in mind that those guys played in the A longer than Schultz (who's still 23) has been a pro. But there's apparently no room for Schultz to improve, and Juice and Erskine still have potential?

Posted by: Section117 | September 21, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Just a quick observation about Gonch staying. Had he stayed, Mike Green would not have become the Offensive defenseman he has come to be. Gonch would have been playing the right point during the power play, not Greenie. Think about that one.

Posted by: RichC3 | September 21, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Schultz has been marketed to us as the next Chara since he came up to the Caps.

Do you even see a shadow of Chara in him?

Chara has a booming shot from the point and knows how to clear the crease. Schultz doesn't shoot and is afraid that the guy in the crease won't like him if he tries to move him.

Schultz was also the beneficiary of being on the first D-line - that's Green's line. With Green's 70+ points last year, Schultz gets equal credit for them, so, yes. His +/- looks good. But...

When it counts, where is he? Someone said the other day that Grant Fuhr's goalie stats were just OK during the Edmonton dynasty days (which they were), but he made the big game winning saves when he needed to. Schultz can't say that about his play.

Until he gets grit and a case of the nasties, he can sit as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 21, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RichC3 | September 21, 2009 3:11 PM |

Good point.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

cstanton, I couldn't agree more: BB is one of the most innovative minds in hockey since Herb Brooks, and seems like a genuinely good person to boot. On this last point, however, I wonder if one of his more endearing qualities - his loyalty to his players - sometimes clouds his judgment a tad.

Exhibit A in this category would be Jeff Schultz - he's not physical, he's not offensive, his first-pass is nothing special, and his feet are so slow he gets turned by the likes of Brandon Dubinsky [who, Glen Sather's fervent wishes aside, is nothing more than a glorified 3rd-liner who happens to play on Broadway].

And spare me the Pronger / Chara comparisons - those other two are powerful athletes with a mean streak, who both possess deceptive speed. Chara is simply miserable to play against - and if Pronger's ever made a pass NOT on someone's tape, I've yet to see it.

And whoever compared Poti's P/M: did it not occur to you that while Poti goes against the other team's biggest offensive weapons, JS usually matches up against guys not expected to score - and still struggles?

Either BB's loyalty is clouding his judgment on JS, or something else is going on - like protecting GMGM for taking the oaf in the first place.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 21, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg S. | September 21, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Schultz pretty much split his time with Green and Juice last year, but got a +12 by skating most of the time with offensive juggernauts Brian Pothier and Tom Poti in '07-08.

Posted by: Section117 | September 21, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Whew everybody. We need this game tonight. Too much arguing.

First from the last thread @atybat, if you keep making vague and suggestive rumors concluding coyly with "I'm GMGM's hairdresser," then no one is going to read your other posts with any degree of credence. Gossip-mongering is just plain stupid.

Also, from all that I've read and heard Bondra is still in the Capitals network, he's supportive of the Capitals and current management. I've met lots of old-timer fans who have run into Bondra over the past couple of years, often at a Caps events. I've never heard anyone say (or have I read) that management and Bondra are at odds.

Gonchar--As far as I can tell it's a mutual parting of the ways. I've met fans of both ilks, those who dislike him for not staying to be part of the rebuild after management asked him stay, and others who don't care. It's history. But as far as I can tell it was still an amicable parting of the ways.

The Nyls story is still being told. As I say to my son, we haven't gotten to the ending yet. But I don't buy into some mysterious New York "story"--he just doesn't fit in the system and BB and Nyles haven't figured out how to make him fit in. BB did play him last year--a fair amount as I remember--and all I ever heard from the stands was "shoot" "shoot" and people calling him "circles." My impression is that BB tried to use taking away his ice time when he wasn't following BB's system, and that led to the benching. For all this "talk" here, does anyone advocate that we should have played Nyls during the playoffs. He may be expensive but he definitely should have been a healthy scratch back then.

As for defense--well this is an old argument that may never be settled. Personally I like Schultz and am willing to let him develop. Geez he's only 23. I am new (well relatively new now) to hockey but I can see that defense in this game is being redefined in the post-lockout era. The argument seems to be based on what kind of d-style play one prefers. And Schultz doesn't fit a lot of people's idea of what a traditional stay-at-home d-man should be. But we should really stop demanding that he be a different kind of player--a Pronger type I guess is what some of you want. His stats show that he's effective on the ice. So he must be doing something right. And it can't be easy being paired with the offensively minded d-man Green, of whom I am a HUGE fan.

BTW Sorry for the overlong post. I'll try to keep it short next time. Can't wait to see the Ovie-Backstrom-Knuble line tonight.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 21, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

What they are saying about JS is typical 1st round prospect talk. They will never say otherwise. It will hurt his trade value, if they do choose to unload him on another team.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what they say. See how they utilize Schultz in the season first.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 21, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah, its another "Schultz sucks" thread. Come on guys. The biggest complaint is always that he doesn't use his size, which of course is short hand for plastering people. First, Schultz is tall, but he isn't exactly super heavy. Second, using your body means more than attempting to loosen fillings, it means placing yourself between your opponent and where he or the puck wants to go. He does that very effectively without being a Scott Stevens type of defender.

And Greg, think through what you're saying. Green scored a ton on the PP, which Schultz isn't on. And, even if he was, PP and SH goals don't count in the +/- (see post #2 in this thread). But, even assuming away all that, Green needs a guy like Schultz to free him up to score goals. If Schultz was a pylon, Green would need to play more conservatively to avoid extensive breakaways. The play in pairs for a reason, you know...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 21, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

PROBLEMS WITH SARGES GAME:

does not keep himself on a good line when backing in on the rush(like between a the net and forward).

does not use his size to ride rushing players into the corner(lets them cut to the center or escape around the net)

Stops moving his feet when playing away from the puck(probably from being bigger then everyone growing up could get away with this habit(SEMIN,OVI,FLASH,too) this also goes to screening the goalie)

Allows too many second and third chances on rebounds(a team problem not enough clearing the crease-need more kabonging)

Loses to many battle on the boards for pucks and position(his size, should not be the case)

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | September 21, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

another little thing he does that drives me batty is he can't hold the puck in on the point. It skips over his stick way too frequently. I realize since he's 10 floors high that its harder for him to control the puck on his stick, his handeye coordination isn't quite there.

to Sect117-- yes there is PLENTY of room for improvement in Sarge's game. But its not automatically going to happen. He needs to show a strong desire to add elements to his game that thus far he has avoided. Alzner took the first step this preseason by being proactive and admitting that the physical game is a weakness for him and that its important for him to develop that.

Has Schultz ever verbalized that? That to me would be the first step. Then perhaps I'd have more patience with the young man.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RichC3 | September 21, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

another reason why I wish Nylander wasn't here. I'd rather see kids like Andrew Gordon, Beagle, Osala etc get their shots at the lineup. And while I hope Flash's blood clot heals at some point, I think we're better off replacing him as well. He's not a 2nd liner on this team currently and he has no place on the 3rd and 4th lines. I'd like to see a stronger 2way player get his roster spot.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Do we know that he hasn't? I mean, it's one thing to do a thousand word article with the local beat writer. It's another if he's doing the work with Bob Woods in separate sessions.

Posted by: Section117 | September 21, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Chara was terrible his first 3-5 seasons in the league. It takes longer for the tall dmen to develop the agility and ability to make an impact in the NHL. He should have stayed down another year but the cupboard was bare when Sarge stayed up fulltime. My biggest problem is I see the same exact mistakes over and over( up a couple of posts) again with little sign of improvement.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | September 21, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Not to end the lively "discussions" regarding Schultz/Gonchar leaving/GMGM....but the Caps web page is now saying tonight's game will be streamed live, with the words "watch live here". Watch? As in video??? Can someone with access to twitter check that with Tarik or Vogel or someone?

Posted by: bagace | September 21, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | September 21, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Proof is in the pudding. When Alzner makes the statement, he FOLLOWS IT UP IMMEDIATELY with a very uncharacteristic Alzner-like effort against Buffalo where he's finishing checks and chasing down Danny Paille after his hit on Carlson. Schultz had a 3 yr headstart on Alzner and I still haven't seen that from him. The fight he got into last year was almost comical. He got dragged into it and tried his best to just get out of it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

aside from what some of you want out of schultz as a d-man - what d-man is out there at $750k that outshines him? i do understand that he is more of a #5/6/7 guy as are quite a few of the 'deep' d the caps have. based on keeping under the salary cap, i'm kind of impressed with what GMGM and BB are doing. would it be nice to not have the nlys contract, sure, but they do and will have to work within the parameters they currently have. unless they can move nlys now, shamo (i don't get the impression that he will develope much more) or possibly theo at the deadline (provided both varly and nuevy show they can handle it at this level) - i don't see any major roster moves happening. what you see now is what the caps will enter the postseason with.
trading players with comparable skills and salaries is pretty much a waste of time. in my perfect world the caps need to shed about 2mil in salary for picks - not another player. having the cap room at the deadline to pick up a pro-rated contract for the remainder of the season would seem to be the biggest hole to fill at this point. teams have to have enough to make it into the second season and i think we all (almost all) agree that the caps will be in the top eight in the EC. making sure you have some cap space and a contract or two free is just as important as having a S@H dman right now IMO.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 21, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

". . . It takes longer for the tall dmen to develop the agility and ability to make an impact in the NHL. . . ."

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | September 21, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Exactly! That's one reason we still see much upside in Juice, who's three years older. I know you're all tired of hearing how young he is but he is, and we're also tired of hearing how crappy he is. I am, anyway. Let's get the season underway and see how he looks by April.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 21, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans have a history of running out of town big, un-physical d-men. Remember the alarm sounds whenever Larry Murphy touched the puck? He was such a terrible d-man he went on to be inducted in the hall of fame. Before someone jumps on me, I am not comparing Schultz to Murphy in terms of overall talent. But maybe its time to be bit more open-minded about Schultz.

Posted by: zmega | September 21, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Another thing I like about Alzner - that I haven't seen from JS - is his head is always up, and he's always looking to hit the breaking forward. I don't know if it's that he's deceptively quick or has good hockey sense [or a combo of the 2], but Alzner seems like a very smart player, and that's always a good sign for a young d-man.

As for those arguing to give JS time, he's young - well, he's 23, older than both Alzner and Carlson, both of whom already have appear to be much better athletes, and they'll both only get stronger.

How many times do we see the tall guys get drafted, when it's the regular-sized ones who can actually play? I, for one, have seen it my whole life, and I'm freaking tired of it.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 21, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

It's almost time to get some hockey on ... who's with me?!? :-)

Can't wait to see Knuble with Ovi - this should be interesting.

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo- | September 21, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

zmega

Murphy got the sirens because he wouldnt take the body. So did Kevin Hatcher, and so will any D-Man that didnt take the body, and should have...

see Sergie Gonchar as well...

Posted by: SA-Town | September 21, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

bagace:
it would seem that the caps web site will be showing the game based on what i saw.

Caps web site: caps365 livewire
"9-21-2009 Capitals vs. Sabres - Preseason
The Washington Capitals host the Buffalo Sabres Sept. 21, 2009 live at 7 pm from the Verizon Center in Washington, DC."

or from:
'hover over' "multimedia" and select "Caps365 Media Player" - on the right side listed under "coming soon" is the caps/sabres preseason

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 21, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Does Center Ice only broadcast regular season games?

Posted by: TSizzleorFizzle | September 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Whoooooooooooop whooooooooooop whooooooop...

Posted by: erico31us | September 21, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Schultz has been a pro for barely 2 years and unlike Alzner has Bo international experience, and you're taking one friggin' preseason game as indication of how each will do this year? OK.
Alzne's also had international experience, so

Posted by: Section117 | September 21, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, disregard that last sentence, typing while on the Metro is sketchy.

Posted by: Section117 | September 21, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 1:41 P
--------------

Hating Gonchar because he didn't sign here is just plain uninformed. Do you hate Bondra for leaving too? What about Jeff Halpern? Joe Juneau? Mark Tinordi? Dale Hunter? Kelly Miller? None of the players of that era, save Kolzig, were given any options of staying longer than they did. What was Gonchar supposed to do, the team was not going to re-sign him under any circumstances. He needed to work somewhere. If you want to hate him because he left, that is your opinion, but at least know what you're talking about. He chose to leave a fan base that treated him well because he had no option.

How do you think we ended up with Ovechkin? Did you never hear Leonsis say during that period that we had to get really bad to get really good?

Posted by: raymitten | September 21, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

As far as Schultz,

No one has gotten paid so much to fall down since Chevy Chase did SNL.

The most painful part is seeing his blank stare on the Jumbotron after the other team scores.

Posted by: Willy6 | September 21, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Next time you haters want to speak ill of Schultz and drag up all the same old arguments (not that I don't agree with some of them), please instead just say "I dislike Schultz" and we'll fill in the rest. It'll help out all the hopelessly positive folks like me not go crazy.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 21, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town - Murphy was definitely not physical. But are you saying that getting him out of town was the right thing to do? He was on 4 Stanley Cup winning teams, 5th all time scoring NHL defenseman, 3-time all NHL second team.

Posted by: zmega | September 21, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I realize Murphy had his detractors here [as he did in Toronto, to be sure], but today marks the first time I've ever heard Jeff Schultz mentioned in the same breath as Larry Murphy.

Is GMGM secretly on this thread?

Posted by: govtimbo | September 21, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Face the facts, there are a group of Caps fans (term used loosely) that have always found one defenseman to chirp about and this time it's Schultz!!
Larry Murphy, Sergei Gonchar, Kevin Hatcher, Al Iafrate, Phil Housley to name a few!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | September 21, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I knew some knucklehead would accuse me of comparing Murphy and Schultz. See previous post - "Before someone jumps on me, I am not comparing Schultz to Murphy in terms of overall talent. But maybe its time to be bit more open-minded about Schultz."

Posted by: zmega | September 21, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

@thiazzi--As one of those hopelessly positive fans, I couldn't agree with you more. I have been doing a happy dance in anticipation of going to Verizon tonight. People, give the kid a break. Stop making Schultz the whipping boy for everything you don't like about our defense. For his skills and his earnings and the stats he puts up, he's doing great. Let him develop. He's still young.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 21, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

zmega

see Sergie Gonchar as well...

Posted by: SA-Town | September 21, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

touche

and when I hear things like "was it right to boo Murph out of town when he went on to win 3 Cups etc" it makes me mental. That is such a superficial argument that doesn't take any specifics into account. For ex -- when Murphy got traded, we became an infinitely better team defensively because we got back a young Bob Rouse in the deal. It gave us 5 defensemen who were rock solid. Murph was never rock-solid on defense. Rouse didn't play with us for as long as he should have but you can't discount the leadership he brought to the team. He was already one of the youngest team captains in the NHL when he played on a bad Minnesota team. He was so psyched to get to the Caps and play with guys like Langway and Stevens that he really put his butt on the line every shift of every game. He brought leadership, toughness and solid rugged defensive play to our blueline. Rouse, Langway, Stevens, Hatcher were arguable the best 4 deep in the NHL at the time. Calgary and Montreal getting honorable mentions... But in the Patrick division, those 4 defensemen set the tone every game.

And of course we also got Dino in the deal. We became a better more well-rounded team after we dumped Murphy and Gartner. I'm not discounting Larry's accomplishments in Detroit or Pittsburgh. He was a good fit there. But he was a better fit there than he was with the Caps, certainly with the Leafs whose fans also ran him out of town.

I guess what I'm saying is, players don't exist in a vacuum. Sometimes you have certain players who are strong assets to any team they go play for (maybe a Stevens or a Hunter). Players like Murph need specific situations to be real assets and what the Caps needed at the time was a guy like Rouse on defense, not a Murphy. We were playing in a real grind it out division and we needed another strong defensive presence more than an offensive defenseman.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

as long as BB keeps praising this chump we'll never get rid of him.i dont know what he sees in this kid that is so good.his mistakes weigh out way more than his good plays.and screw stats.there are some of the best players out there that have never won a championship,in any sport,now does that mean that there not good,NO.you could have the best players on paper,but suck when it comes to playing the game.hence the '98 caps.i just hope BB doesnt give him a spot just becuase he feels bad for him when there are way better d-men in our org.leave ur feelings at the door bruce! GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | September 21, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

if coach says schultz is good then he's good. I just hope Bob Woods or quintin laing teaches him how to block shots instead of deflecting them past and screening his goalie. but in fairness erskine and poti and juice do the same thing at times

Posted by: Puckthepens | September 21, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I am very disappointed that BB is not giving Nyslander the opportunity to find an appropriate role for making a contribution to the team. The less he uses him the less chance he has to fit in. Surely a creative coach like him, who is stuck with an expensive but skilled player for a while, can find a way to make him an asset to the team. I don't get it. Marginalizing a player must increase tensions all around. I hope he has a better plan, that I am not able to see yet, than just letting him sit out games.

Posted by: caraveli | September 21, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dkidwell61 | September 21, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

All IMO were deservedly booed. Murph was an easy target because you couldn't really afford to have defensemen on your team who refused to make any contact. Made your job a bit harder when you played teams like Philly, Islanders etc.

Hatcher only became a puss later in his career, he was pretty adored by Caps fans until about 1991. So lets not say he was booed the whole time. He got booed once he dramatically changed his style. Also didn't help that both his defensive mentors - Langway and Stevens - were gone at that point. Instead of rising up to fill that void, he went the other way and started playing timidly.

Gonch got drafted as a defensive defenseman, he played hard under Schoenfeld, then he started to think he was only an offensive guy and quit playing like he was capable defensively. Thus, he got the wrath.

Iafrate was a stud for a while, but he was always a moody player. He also had no help on that blueline. I can't blame him and frankly I don't remember fans really hating on him that much.

Housley was the wrong kind of player for us. He was undersized, totally finesse and it wasn't his fault that he ticked off the fans. He was simply unable to be more than just a slick skating PP kind of defenseman. I think the fans at that time were more mad at the management than anything else. Housley also sucked in the playoffs. He managed 4 pts in 18 games and was always giving up chances around the net. Tinordi had a hard time making up for his errors. Eventually he just got benched and they put Klee back on defense. Ron Wilson loves guys like Housley, thats why he played even when he wasn't deserving of ice time. He'd been playing in the league a long time by the time we got him. He was strictly a situational player at that point in his career.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 21, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton - OK, so you think that Bob Rouse was a better defenseman than Larry Murphy. I don't think you would get many to agree with you, but you have a right to your opinion.

Posted by: zmega | September 21, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I've been taking time off from hockey during the summer and have been completely out of it. We have a chihuahua backing up Theo tonight?

Posted by: ranndino | September 21, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

ranndino, Obviously the organization was not going for size when he was signed. He must have a wicked glove. Or they're just going for "Tiniest goalie tandem in the NHL"

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | September 21, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are killing me here. I happen to be in Pittsburgh for college and when I try to watch the game online it tells me the game is not available in my area.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 21, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind. So happy for ATDHE.net right now. Does the normal feed have the Verizon Center thing with the timer on it even before the game?

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 21, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

icehammer97 - Not sure how you are going to handle it up there. My daughter's boyfriend is at Carnegie Mellon and seeing all the "Cup Crap" around town is the most difficult part of being there for him.

Posted by: gonchpup | September 21, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

My two cents on Schulz- he must be doing whatever the coaching staff is asking him to do as they keep playing him, but we don't know what was asked of him. I can accept that he is playing positionally and isn't going to be throwing hits left and right, but when he is off, the results can be so glaring that they are burned into your memory. He also needs to stop screening our goalie. Stats don't always tell the entire story. So he was +13 last year; Ovie was +8; don't think that means Schultz is better than Ovie. Schultz had 1 goal and 11 assists for the regular season last year so his +/- comes from the play of others on the ice during his shifts. Schultz really should have been kept in the AHL longer. Having witnessed almost every single growing pain as a defenseman really colors my opinion about him. As with Green, if Schultz was so injured as to be ineffective in the playoffs last season, I really don't understand why he was in the games, given that the Caps are supposedly so deep on defense.

Posted by: NovaCath | September 21, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

not sure if anyone mentioned this but you can watch the game on caps 365 and listen to it on 1500 on the computer

Posted by: PGM17 | September 21, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

caps going on PP now

Posted by: PGM17 | September 21, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup I play hockey up here and also like Detroit. When they beat both the Caps and Wings I got over 30 text messages within about ten minutes and hockey friends who keep reminding me who has the Cup.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 21, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

You can watch the game live from the Caps' website.

Posted by: caraveli | September 21, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Btw Hunter did ask to be traded at the end so he could try and win a cup. I actually like the gonch didn't want to stay. I only want players who want to win championships. If you are happy being on a losing team when you can get out you are a loser.

Posted by: caps512 | September 21, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Just wasted a power play. We look lethargic. What is Giroux's number?

Posted by: caraveli | September 21, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Every player has weaknesses and make their share of mistakes. I think what we have here (Schultz, Nyls) is a situation where some fans just won't get over that fact for certain players. Just about every game you watch you can scream at somebody for screening a goalie, players get schooled by opposing forwards, passes are whiffed on or coughed up - by everybody! Some of these judgements are biased and seen through eyes that want to feel validated - watching for a screw-up more than enjoying the game and pulling for a win. I understand that fans have differing opinions and favorites, but the constant sniping is getting very old.

Posted by: gonchpup | September 21, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Video stream and WFED audio syncing perfectly. Butt cised.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 21, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

My God, we just got another penalty and they have a 5-3 advantage.

Posted by: caraveli | September 21, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

From the look of it the whole crowd could do the move to better seats not just the one pair of people.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 21, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Great hit by Erskine.. then he got jumped by two slugs. Ovie raced in to pull some donks off of him. Really good hit by Easy E.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 21, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

5 minute PP lets see what they can do.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 21, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

caps outshot 11-4

Posted by: PGM17 | September 21, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

To clear things up on Murphy the whoop whoop was to sound like a siren to worn the goalie that Murphy was on the ice. As far as the trade for Rouse, David Poile will tell you to this day, Trading Larry was the worst trade he ever made. Let me put it this way, Larry went on to win 4 cups and is the Hall of Fame, and Rouse never won a cup or never made any list to make the Hall, Larry went in on the first ballot.

Posted by: RichC3 | September 21, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

if this game were against the Penguins, the Caps would be down 0-3 by now

Posted by: puckheaded1 | September 21, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Bad PP outside of a stellar deflection by Knuble.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 21, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

excuse me, the Stanley Cup Champion Penguins...

Posted by: puckheaded1 | September 21, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Slugs score, Jose overplayed the shot pretty badly. Then they scored again immediately by swarming the crease.

Alzner definitely throwing his weight around like he said he was going to.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 21, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Uh Oh! Same story. Consecutive goals against us off deflections even though we have the "stars" playing tonight. Disappointing.

Posted by: caraveli | September 21, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Knuble is the man. He's spending all of his time in the offensive zone inside the crease. Couldn't have picked up a better player.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 21, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

anyone watching on atdhe? Does it keep on stopping and starting?! This is so annoying!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 21, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

NEW POST!!! THE CAPITAL LETTER!!!

Who will fill in for Flash at the start of the season?

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | September 21, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Working great for me, rachel. Restart your computer during intermission and/or try a different browser.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 21, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

@rachel

it has to be your internet connection. i was on campus and it was starting and stopping, but I have better internet now and I have no problem

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 21, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

this is crap. Still no vieo. I have all the latest players and all that. wtf?

Posted by: Andoy | September 21, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

rachel216,

Am watching ATDHE and it is working just fine. Picture and sound very good.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | September 21, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

still no video for me?!!??

Posted by: Andoy | September 21, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Sure - Boudreau looking out for Schultz...gee what a surprise!

Surely we can package the great D-man Schultz, along with Bourque, Alzner, Nyls and Theo for Heatley...let Bryan Murray take some of our money along with the good prospects so we can absorb Heatley's paycheck.

Go for broke - GMGM..do with the Penguins would do to win the cup! Heatley is the missing piece for the Sharks and I will argue the Caps as well.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | September 21, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Green is playing awful.

Ovechkin, Semin, Knuble, Backstrom, Bourque, Carlson and even Schultz are having good games.

Alzner is getting screwed playing with Green but he's playing well.

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 21, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

You're a donk if you think anybody would take Nylander AND Theodore in a trade. The money just doesn't work. It's not even a good video game trade.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 21, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

If I were watching the Caps for the first time tonight, I'd say "Who is that scrub, Green?" and "That guy Schultz plays smart hockey."

Green has been the worst player on the ice for either team.

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 21, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Alright, thanks guys. I was just wondering if it was just mine or everyone's.

I just started watching, so how has Theo looked so far?

Posted by: rachel216 | September 21, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Theo's done anything spectactular but he's been fine. The 2 goals so far were mostly due to defensive breakdowns. He couldn't do much about the 1st one. I'm not sure if he could've maybe done more on the 2nd one.

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 21, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I read something scary today. The folks at EA Sports (the makers of NHL 2010) do not predict good things for the Caps. This was reported by the DC Landing Strip blog spot. They said the Caps had a 15 in 20 chance of making the playoffs. Of those 15 chances, they would lose in the first round 12 times. The best they would do would be to lose the Conference Finals to Ottawa in 5 games. That's scary.

The question is .... how reliable are the predictions of how teams will do in video games as compared to real life? Is there a correlation or is there not?

I personally have more confidence in the Caps than how they performed in one video game.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 21, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Bring back the guys from Hershey :)

Posted by: ejohnsto | September 21, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, where were Kyle Wilson and Matt Perrault when we needed them?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 21, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Positives:
* Our PK looks great
* Theo looked good
* The checking lines look great
* Knuble looks great

Negatives:
* Our PP looks terrible
* Ovechkin, Green, and Semin forgot how to hit the net

Now when you take into account that:
A) It's their first game in while
B) It's the preseason

That game could have been a lot worse.

Posted by: Raber | September 21, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin and Semin were two of our best players on the ice. They didn't forget how to hit the net.

In addition to them, Aucoin, Bourque, Backstrom, Knuble, Alzner, Carlson and Schultz (yes, Schultz) looked very good tonight.

Green and Giroux were are worst two players. Green picked it up in the 3rd but was awful the first 2 periods. Yes, awful. Giroux was playing careless pretty much the entire game.

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 21, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

@Raber

We could say your negatives are redundant. If Ovi, Semin, and Green forget how to hit the net, of course, our power play will be awful. They're the main cogs of our PP. Instead, the team made Lalime look like a Vezina trophy winner.

Thank God, it's only a preseason game.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 21, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75,

The dude simulated on his own using a video game. It means nothing.

Here's the article for anybody who might mistunderstand how insignificant your worries are: http://dclandingstrip.blogspot.com/2009/09/from-folks-who-brought-you-simulated.html

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 21, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Interesting note. My husband was involved in a fantasy hockey league draft tonight and got the 5th position. He drafted (drum roll please) --- Sid Crosby. That's right, Crysby. Picked ahead of him, in order, were: Ovy, Malkin, Mike Green, and Tim Thomas.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 21, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

You're right. That was one guy's unrepresentative sample. Interesting, but scary reading.

I think the team's better than what it's shown in that video game, tonight's performance not withstanding.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 21, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

It's a video game. That's all there is to know to dispel your concerns.

If you want to dig it up, I'm sure there would be plenty of amusement in seeing the results of previous year predictions based on video game simulations in hockey or any other sport for that matter.

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 21, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

I'm with you on that one. Don't think the video games have included all the proper variables to do an accurate similuation of an NHL season.

Don't worry, I don't think video games are accurate predictors of real performance.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 21, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dkidwell61 | September 21, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Only two of those guys deserved to be chirped about... Iafrate and Hatcher

Iafrate was the biggest waste of talent in the history of the NHL and bringing him to the Caps was the worst trade Poile ever made... the trade also ruined Hatcher who became a finesse player as soon as his childhood rival became a Cap.

Posted by: joek443 | September 21, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 21, 2009 9:34 PM

I should clarify. By "forgot how to hit the net" I mean that they didn't shoot very well tonight. Most of their chances tonight went wide. I thought skill wise Semin looked great and Ovechkin was hitting as well as ever (very well).

Posted by: Raber | September 21, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Schultz finishes his checks like he is in a pillow fight with college girls. I imagine some women can really swing a bag of feathers, but that doesn't mean they should be in the NHL.

Trade the dude....

Posted by: hlalor | September 21, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

and those people are not fans, they're just a bunch of losers who have nothing better to do than just sit at the games to irritate people.

Posted by: joek443 | September 21, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 21, 2009 9:34 PM

do these people know these games do NOT count????? does a player like Green have ANYTHING to prove in pre-season???

Posted by: joek443 | September 21, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Being pre-season doesn't excuse extremely poor play, esp. with a shortened pre-season.

The very first time Green touched the puck, he turned it over in the corner in our own end. That was the first of many sketchy plays he made tonight. Alzner got screwed being paired up with him. It's no surprise both goals were scored with Green on the ice. To his credit, he did play better in the 3rd.

As much as most people overplay the importance of pre-season, there are also some that underplay it.

I went to my first Caps game in the early 80s and my father had season tickets since the team was founded. I know what pre-season is about and it's not meaningless or all-important.

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 21, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

And anybody criticizing the way Shultz played tonight is clueless. I'm not even necessarily a fan of his game but tonight, he played exceedingly well.

If you want to point at a defenseman that played poorly, you can start with Mike Green.

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 21, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Has Brendan Morrison been out skating since the hit he took in Buffalo?

Is he out there today?

Posted by: caps28fan | September 21, 2009 11:46 AM

++++++++

@caps28fan:

BMo looked fine in practice on Sunday.

Posted by: pstenigma | September 21, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

No Schultz, no Cup. ;o)

Possibly over-stated a little, but he's going to be fine. Certainly seems on-track to be a top-4 Defenseman with a little more experience. I'm glad there is a tad more sanity in here pertaining to him.

Posted by: PensFan98 | September 22, 2009 6:47 AM | Report abuse

just have to disagree with Bouds about Schultz

Posted by: doughless | September 22, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I agree w/ tmac2yao, Schultz was effective last night and even finished a few checks. I can't say I dislike him, but he has made some poor decisions at critical times and sometimes seems a little slow and clumsy. Even though I've been following the Caps for 20+ yrs. I would never think that I can evaluate talent better than the braintrust for any team, so if they believe in Schultz then I hope that he is rising up his learning curve and growing into his body and will show us all that BB sees in him.

Posted by: ds_kelly | September 22, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Saying JS is a bit slow and clumsy is like saying Ovie is an ok skater or Backstrom has decent vision.

The Caps wasted a 1st-round pick on yet another tall Canadien who can't play, and BB is simply being a good soldier.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 22, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

RE: Schultz is a victim of the inability of Caps fans to understand stats.

I don't put a lot of stock in stats. Stats can be skewed. I put a lot more faith in what I see. Based on what I see I'm not a Schultz basher. On the downside his puck handling in his own end and break out passes need some work. And he could improve his skating. On the upside I've seen the guy play textbook defense while defending a 5-on-3. I've seen him play well defensively and be positionally sound. His size and reach helps him break up passing lanes. So, I see it as he is young and as a result will make mistakes, but he has a definate upside.

What I perceive being the real issue with Caps fans is that he is a big guy that doesn't play physically.

Off subject: I'm going to have to change my screen name, ugh.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | September 23, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse