Boudreau on Cherry: 'He was wrong' (Updated)

Before today's game, Bruce Boudreau was asked to respond to Don Cherry's comments about Alex Ovechkin's goal celebrations Saturday night on Hockey Night in Canada.

Boudreau and Cherry are friends. Cherry called Boudreau to congratulate him when he was promoted to Washington. Boudreau, however, said his old buddy was wrong to criticize Ovechkin for his emotional displays after goals.

"I love Don Cherry," Boudreau said. "But I think he was a little over the top yesterday on Alex."

"At the first part, I thought he was going to be criticizing [Pittsburgh captain] Crosby, the first 30 seconds of his thing. Then he criticized Alex for celebrating too much. I was hoping they would throw it back and show Crosby jumping at the glass the last couple of games he scored a goal in. As much as I really like the guy, he was wrong."

Boudreau added: "He's a friend of mine. He's an idol of mine. I love what Don Cherry has stood for, for 30 years. I just think even the smartest people in the world are wrong sometimes."

Update:Boudreau said he was "surprised" when he read Boston Coach Claude Julien quoted as saying: "I've heard them say that they're in our heads. They do a lot of talking. They're one goal games. They would have gone either way. By all means, I don't think they scare us."

Boudreau responded this morning: "He's too sensitive. I really like Claude. I never even got to take psychology in school. I was a little surprised. But if [Brooks Laich] said something, then he was probably reacting to [that] because I said totally the opposite."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 1, 2009; 1:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beagle and Theodore in, Kozlov and Nylander out
Next: Today's Lineup

Comments

It just worries me that, through that segment, it sounded like Don Cherry was calling for someone to take a run at Ovechkin.

Posted by: jsnoek | March 1, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

yes, he was wrong. but he also advocated violence against ovechkin as some sort of retribution. i don't know that Coach Bruce needs to be the guy talking about that aspect of the situation, but I hope the front office is responding through the appropriate channels.

Posted by: cavemandave | March 1, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

tarik you're on fire today man. keep it rollin.

As for Don Cherry's choice words, i was listening to the current ESPN Melrose podcast, and the other iconic look of hockey completely contradicts cherry on the celebration thing. its nice to know that not every canadian wallows in the way things "should" be.

Posted by: ngraham1 | March 1, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Someone ought to chop the cherry tree in half

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 1, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Cherry should lace 'em up and take a run at Ovi. Then after Ovi creams him, he'll know that "Russian machine never break"...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 1, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

he didnt put a bounty on ov ...he said that in the nhl there is a code that says someone will...like bertuzzi on moore...mcsorley on brash when he chickened out after calling bench out...he and bb both understand it...unlike alot of soccer fans turned caps fans on this blog....welcome to BUSINESS side of the NHL

Posted by: wendel2 | March 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

All the sports are changing: In football those who sack strut around like children, and those who score bump each other rather than the glass. In baseball hitters pause after a mighty swing and then point to the sky upon crossing the plate. In basketball, well, we won't go there.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | March 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Guys, who FRICKIN' CARES about Cherryboy? Some old fart in an obnoxious suit opened his yap again, and we're discussing that over the divisional backbreaker we're playing today? Come on folks.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 1, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@bartolo
in football there is a flag for too much celebration and in baseball showing off after a hr will get u something high and tight next at bat...in any sport excessive hot dogging gets rewarded

Posted by: wendel2 | March 1, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree with BB starting Theo back to back, he needs a break. And SCREW Don Cherry.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

No one needs to take a run at Ovie, it ids a matter of time before he misses a check and go head first in the Board...

Posted by: atybat | March 1, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Claiming Ovie will eventually get hurt is the biggest cop out defense there is. Either it finally happens...like it does to virtually ANY other athlete unless you're Cal Ripken, Brett Farve, or Peyton Manning...or you can just keep saying "eventually he'll get hurt".

In the meantime...Russian Machine Never Break

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 1, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread re: Nylander

If the CAPS find a trade partner for Nylander and the transaction involves us paying a portion of his salary (say $2MD per year), does that money impact the cap in any way?

Posted by: TrackCollector | March 1, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

wendel2
What? So you think that Mario Lemieux was run by NHLrs for his antics? When? Didnt happen then and is not going to happen today! Thats a dream of a clown Cherry to turn hockey into Ultimate Fighting Sport or smth, but its not gonna happen.
atybat, keep looking for those chickens who will run away from Ovie, it would help him and Caps to beat em up :)

Posted by: Hazz | March 1, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

yes it does trackcollector.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 1, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Well if there's a defenseman big and bad enough to take a run at Ov, go right ahead. Chara is the biggest D-man in the league and Ov's stood him up on more than one occasion when the circus freak took runs at him. And if this D-man is successful in "cutting Ovechkin in-half" be prepared to answer to The Donald's two fists afterwards. Cherry is a idiot, plain and simple. I don't care what he knows, that he's forgoting more than we know, played in the Nhl, I don't care! You don't go on a public forum and say that Ovechkin is going to get his and he's got it coming to him.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 1, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

if we go to OT and we get 2 pts and the cats get 1, then the pens will stay out no matter if they win. (at least for now)

Posted by: richmondphil | March 1, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

He is just a crazy attention-seeking old man! He better stop telling "canadien kids" what is right and what is wrong. He says Ovie's celebrations are wrong, yet iplies that it is alright to cut him in half.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

*implies

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Beagle is back! Bring on the Snoopy line!!

Posted by: kcfatts | March 1, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@phil

If Pens win they overtake Buffalo for now for the 8th spot.

NJ up 2-0 with a 5 on 3 atm.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 1, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"And if this D-man is successful in "cutting Ovechkin in-half" be prepared to answer to The Donald's two fists afterwards."

That didn't happen on Thursday, why would it happen now?

Posted by: Section117 | March 1, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@ wendel2

It is fair to say that Cherry typically has different standards for North American players and European players. However, getting bent out of shape attacking or defending his comments is a waste of time. Being controversial, and often jingoistic, is his meal ticket on CBC.

Also, I doubt there are many players lining up to police Ovechkin, because he does not often violate the code. He won't win a Lady Byng award in his career. Occasionally his hits are cheap, but not more often than is typical for a bruising power forward. He is certainly demonstrative, but only on a handful of occasions has he rubbed his opponents faces in it. I am so glad he is not a sour puss like Crosby, who also violates the code a fair bit (e.g. sucker punching a guy on a faceoff or copying ovechkin's goal celebration).

Posted by: CaliCapsFan | March 1, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!

First of all, Ovie is marked every game anyway just because he is Ovechkin! All opposing teams try to neutralize him as a game plan so I don't think he's worried in the least. Recall the Malkin spat? Every Penguin on the ice wanted a piece of Ovie but to no avail.

About Cherry, his time has long been over and no true fan listens to him anyway, believe me. He's to Hockey Night In Canada as to what Andy Rooney is to 60 Minutes. Just fluff.

Great win against the Bs, and lets keep up the mo from yesterday.

Go Cap - I - Tals!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 1, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

with the deadline coming up and all the talk of the UFA's on July 1, can anyone tell me or give me a link to the caps that have contracts expiring at the end of the season or something with the salaries? Thanks

Posted by: bleedred | March 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@hAZZ ur right Mario didnt get run...neither did bobby orr...or howe but they never dove around like a fish out of water after they scored either. There is a difference between celebration and taunting/showing off that coaches of all sports try to instill in kids yet some grow up to be HOT DOGS/idiots like Avery.
sooner or later those who dont know the fine line will get it explained to them in an often painfull lesson. I am not saying ov crossed that line but Cherry is making the statement that he has or is very close to it. In his own show boating manner i think Cherry is giving OV who he has previously complimented a heads up. I dont like the way he did it but i do like his concern for OV if his celebrations cross over into tauntings/hot dogging

Posted by: wendel2 | March 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@wendell - You are right. Cherry was not advocating a run at OV, just that someone might get tired of his 'antics' and make a run. Much like the high and tight in baseball.

@phil and track - IMO we can't trade a player and eat some of his salary, regardless of cap implications. We can waive him and end up with only half. But I am pretty sure you can't do what you proposing.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@callicapsfan
remember it was cherry that chastized Crosby for his antics

Posted by: wendel2 | March 1, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

BTW - the Jagr arrangement was under the old CBA and was grandfathered in. That practice of taking on some of the salary of the traded player is no longer allowed.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@bleedred: Try NHLnumbers.com.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

TrackCollector & richmondphil -
waitingsince75 is correct. there is no provision for taking back any salary in a trade. Brian Burke is trying to get this included in the future to make it easier to trade some one like Nyl's.

bleedred - try nhlscap.com for your contract status info.

Posted by: hockeypope | March 1, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@section117

Getting wacked in the face, getting right back up and going after somebody in retaliation is different than someone "cutting him in half' and say him having to leave the game due to injury, don't ya think?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

For anyone who thinks that no one will ever get a good run at Ovie, does the name Lindros ring a bell? He was a freight train yet he got taken care of. Eventually, someone will get Ovie. I just hope that his physique can prevent him from being seriously injured when this occur. I am really more worried, at this point with him doing it to himself...

Posted by: atybat | March 1, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

For once I'm going to totally disagree with Bruce. Don Cherry is about as close to being the smartest person in the world as a retarded ape. In terms of modern hockey he's an old, xenophobic cave man.

Posted by: ranndino | March 1, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"I just think even the smartest people in the world are wrong sometimes." right now youre one of them bruce for being diplomatic to that creep. this goes little deeper than a guy saying he doesnt like another guy's celebrations.

Posted by: miked3 | March 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Folks, the analogy about Don Cherry and Coaches Corner is to HNIC what Andy Rooney is to 60 Minutes came directly from a Canadian sitting next to me at the Don Cherry's in Ottawa. Cherry is a relic and even the Canadians are in full agreement.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 1, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@ atybat

You can't even compare Eric Lindros' awareness on the ice to that of Ovechkin. The reason Lindros ended up getting rocked is because he was like a horse with blinders on out there. Ovechkin has 100 times the awareness of what's going on around him, both in terms of developing plays as well as guys coming to get him. I'm not saying that it can never happen, but chances are far less than they were with Lindros.

Posted by: ranndino | March 1, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

uuuh, sick to my stomach, after watching that video.. Cherry is a racist arS* or should I say Nationalist ar*e Someone dressed like that cannot possibly have a beef with a player who is unconvential. he is wearing his "I am white old dude who doesn't want anyone playing hockey but white candians hat".. he probably hates Mike Greens Mohawk too..

Posted by: kmr2r | March 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Don't get TOO insulting of Cherry here. In addition to being friends with Boudreau, I hear he's also agreed to write the foreword for Boudreau's forthcoming autobiography.

Posted by: Hokienautic | March 1, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

@ Hokienautic

We'll get as insulting with that old dirtbag as we like. Maybe if Boudreau is such good friends with him he can call him up and tell him to shut the F up and stop calling for some goon to take Ovie out because Don found something wrong with his celebrations.

Al Koken started his disagreement with Don with "I'm sure we all love Don and his personality". No we don't. I hate his guts and hope he has a heart attack rather sooner than later. He's been spewing his Nazi garbage for way too long now.

If I read that someone caught him in an alley and beat the crap out of him it would be the happiest day of my life. Hey, he likes violence and thinks Detroit would be more fun to watch if they get goons like Probert and Kocur. It's about time someone went Probert on his dumb head.

Posted by: ranndino | March 1, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Cherry is obviously jealous of Ovie, thats all.

Ovie can stand up for himself, so whoever does try and hit em he will hit them right back. Plus Brash will kill him.

Cherry is a joke.

Posted by: digster1013 | March 1, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey Coach B....instead of worrying about what Don Cherry or Coach Julien said...how bout concentrating a little more on getting the team ready to play? This is a 40-win team and too many times it acts and plays like it's a 12-win team. Or maybe its reading its own press clippings too much and thinks its already won a couple Cups.

How bout first not laying any more eggs like today? Or the Colorado game...or the two Columbus games...the list can go on and on. That was an embarrassing display out there today. Just sickening. Florida played well yes, but the Caps are talented enough where nobody should come in here and blow us out like that.

A lot of people have invested a lot of money to watch this team this year, and already are planning to do the same next year. How bout worrying about making sure the team gives 100% every night, instead of these half-baked performances way too often? Play the games, and quit wasting breath on what guys like Cherry are saying.

Posted by: jollyroger2 | March 1, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I am so glad that this issue got so many comments. I am a Canadian citezen and a lifelong Capitals fan. I bleed Caps colors and I realize Don Cherry is now considered as old dated as a VHS. He makes me cringe at my citezenship every time he opens his big fat mouth. The fact that he "invited" any goon to take his head off is a disgrase and he should quit right now, if not 5 years ago. I can only imagine his show if OV does get injured by a cheap shot...."Well yeah it was maybe a bit of a late hit...but this guy has had it comming for years.." He doesn't love hockey as it is played today and a bunch of sour GRAPES. Go away you poorly dressed garbage spewing Crosby lover.

Francis M. Carrier
fmcarrier77@gmail.com

Posted by: franciscarrier | March 2, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I just visited the CBC web site and 90% of the post are pro OV and at least half are demanding for Don to retire/be fired. Please check it out and add your 2 cents worth. This guy is not what we Canadians consider to be the truth..he is a side show and he is not funny any longer. Please join me in asking CBC to dismiss him before something dangerous happens. LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: franciscarrier | March 2, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Does Big Don Cheery teach Canadian ethics to Canadian hockey players?? Did he teach Cindy how to fight up the REAR?

Ovechkin is the most passionate and exciting player to come along in my lifetime and has reawakened my own passion for the game that was lost after the Caps traded hall of famer Scott Stevens. The best thing the Caps have done since drafting Ovechkin and the Boys is finally hire an offensive minded Coach to go with all the talented offensive players. As BRUCE says "I like to let my horses run"

Let 'em run Bruce all the way to Lord Stanley's Cup. Go Go Go CAPS.

Posted by: duckyjimpond | March 2, 2009 3:22 AM | Report abuse

I have a real problem with Don Cherry. It seems to me that Don is obsessed with overshadowing his broadcast partners and always has been. Hockey is the one sport where I would expect the media experts to resemble the sport they cover. Don is on a team of broadcasters, and yet he is determined to draw attention to himself with his flamboyent outfits and outrageous statements. This is not the Canadian Way for broadcasters. Don should be real careful. I expect one day his broadcast partners will have had enough Don and cut him in half on air. Or maybe he should go cover SOCCER!

Posted by: jackstraaw | March 2, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen a lot of condemnation of Cherry's comments. Perhaps they'll come later, but none of the major commentators (e.g. at TSN) are talking about it.

I personally enjoy Ovi's celebrations, but I've been wondering how long he can keep hurling himself at the glass before something (not the glass) breaks. I've also noticed that he's cooled off quite a lot this year - not much glass bashing. I was thinking that that was just natural maturing. Whether he cares what others think or not - I suspect not - he himself seems to know that as you get older, you tone it down a bit, or a lot.

As others have mentioned, most of Cherry's clips were from past years (old uniform). He'd be hard put to put together enough glass bashing from this year.

Given all this, I think that Cherry is making a point which is no longer very pertinent. The timing is interesting though. I wonder what made him pick up on it just as Ovi's celebrations were becoming tamer. Was it Crosby's mini-eclipse (not a major eclipse, surely - he's ahead of Ovi in the points race, or they're neck to neck)?

Posted by: RedRocker1 | March 2, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse