Boudreau on Green: 'He's fine'

The Caps just wrapped up an unusually early practice here at an unusually hectic St. Pete Times Forum, which, interestingly, is also going to play host to practices for the Lightning and Oilers later today.

Most of the Caps' big-minute guys, such as Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green, did not participate in the optional session. Semyon Varlamov also took his option and did not skate.

Green took a shoulder to the head in the third period of last night's 3-0 victory over the Lightning and appeared to be knocked a little woozy. Coach Bruce Boudreau, however, said Green is "fine" and that the defenseman is expected to play in Buffalo.

"Ever been hit that hard?" Boudreau said. "They wobble you for a minute. But he's fine."

Here's a video of the hit:

Green did not miss a shift but was sporting a cut under his left eye from the hit afterward.

"Mike is tough," Boudreau said. "Unless he's legitimately hurt, he wants to play 30 minutes a game. We have have corral him and curtail his ice time."

New father Matt Bradley is back in Arlington with his wife, Sasha, and their baby boy, Henry James Bradley, who was born at 4:30 a.m. It's unclear whether Bradley will rejoin the team in time for Wednesday's game, Boudreau said.

"A lot depends on how much rest he's had," Boudreau said. "It would have to be sometime tonight where he gets a good rest and a good skate in tomorrow [morning]."

A day after his team passed the Sharks for first place overall in the league, Boudreau still was beaming with pride. But, just as many of his players said last night, he said it doesn't mean a whole lot in December.

"Before the game we talked about how it would be nice if we won the game," he said. "It's not really significant at this stage of the season. It's a marker that you're playing well. But it's way more significant after 82 games."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 8, 2009; 10:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Ovechkin vaults Caps into lead
Next: Morning roundup: War room and Caps-Sabres

Comments

Mike Green is having another historical season folks... He is on pace for 72 assists this season.

We are witnessing the best offensive player and best offensive defensive player in our generation here in Washington.

Posted by: JSchon | December 8, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

First!!! I have nothing better to do than to read about the CAPS.

Posted by: instinct227 | December 8, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

We might be in 1st, but we cant play defense, and we have no goaltending...

We need Mike Richards and Ray Emery.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 8, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Matt. What a great early Holiday present.

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | December 8, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I hereby call Don Cherry out of retirement and name him Field Marshal of the Doofus Army.

In related stories: Gary Bettman has been "elected" Maximum-Leader-for-Life of the Doofus Nation; Colin Campbell has been named Chief Apparatchik of the Secret Doofus Police.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Henry James. That's quite a literary name.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 8, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Daddy Bradley!

And congratulations to the Caps for being #1 in the NHL!

Yesterday was a Good Day(tm).

Here's to today and tomorrow and more of the same!

Posted by: irockthered | December 8, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Henry James- I like it. Good plain name. Nothing flashy like some of the the names kids are given these days. Some of them are just wrong and will ensure kids are made fun of at age 11-17. Or maybe I'm jealous because my name is one of the plain names as well.

Congrats Brads.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 8, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fro_

And here I was thinking how funny if Brads did go a little "Hollywood" and named his son Henry Professor Bradley or something like that. Though I love the name, and want to wish him my congratulations!

Great win last night, when this team is on, boy is it on!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 8, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

SA-Town

I agree with you on our D, we need help. But Ray Emery? You're joking, right? Did we not just light him up less than a week ago? Look at Varly's stats so far (playing behind a poor defense).

W-L 12-1
GAA 2.21
SVP .924

Posted by: gaholtzman | December 8, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Daddy Bradley!

And congratulations to the Caps for being #1 in the NHL!

Yesterday was a Good Day(tm).

Here's to today and tomorrow and more of the same!

Posted by: irockthered | December 8, 2009 11:24 AM

@irockthered:

I lIke your style, too

Are you sure you meant Good Day™ and not Good Day®?

Before you ask: you can get ™ by holding down the [ALT] key and typing 0153; Similarly, ® is [ALT]0174.

Enjoy.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to the Bradley family! Welcome to Caps Fandom, Henry James. You are one lucky little guy. I guess we know which will be his first jersey!

Posted by: Steakum | December 8, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Henry James Bradley ... maybe he goes by Hank? Congrats to Matt and Sasha Bradley, and welcome to the world, Henry! Get used to seeing your dad's face all stitched up.

Look, I love Brads all to pieces and would love to have him in the Buffalo lineup, but a baby is way way way way way more important, no question. If he needs another game or his wife needs him one more day, no worries, this team's got his back.

And yeah, the position in the standings doesn't mean a lot in December, but it makes me smile anyway. :)

Posted by: kittypawz | December 8, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@Rhino40: Macs don't have that functionality, but you can use ™ to get ™ and ® to get ® too in HTML.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 8, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

We need this. We need that. Our defense is lousy. Our goaltending sucks. Are you going to find something to moan about if we win the cup? We are numero uno right now. What the hell else do you want?

Posted by: coastallp74 | December 8, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Did anybody heer about Brendan Witt getting hit by a car in Philly? Turns out he walked away and will play tonight. There's no confirmation that it was Carcillo and when asked why he wasn't angrier he pointed out that "it was a clean hit!"

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | December 8, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

*sigh* Got double-parsed. & trade; (no space) and & reg; (no space) respectively.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 8, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

gaholtzman: Sarcasm.....

Posted by: eorr53 | December 8, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coastallp74 | December 8, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

A Cup in June? This is absolutely awesome right now, but Bruce is right in that it doesn't mean a lot in the playoffs. Ask the Sharks.

That said - I think it's a product of the team playing more like a team and less like a bunch of individuals. For that, Ovi's absence has been nothing short of a blessing for the Caps, and could be the difference between same-old-same-old and hockey in June.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 8, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

gaholtzman: Easy, dude. SA-Town was being sarcastic.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 8, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

UEFA Champions League

Posted by: bgfgf402 | December 8, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

SA-Town

W-L 12-1
GAA 2.21
SVP .924

Posted by: gaholtzman

SA-Town is one VERY DRY "shaken but not stirred" poster. The clues lay in the Flyer references.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCapitalist1

LOL. Fun to read this board after our "very responsible" kinds of wins--not pulling out wins or points from the sheer talent we have--but playing smart hockey too.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm not predicting the Caps into the Finals yet. I think right now you say they are even odds favorites along with NJ and Pitt. Maybe Boston would be 4th, but they are struggling some. Actually they've struggled since about last March 1st.

I will say SJ Sharks appear to be clear favorite in West, followed by Chicago, Detroit and Calgary. Some might want to write off Detroit, but they should be healthy by spring.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 8, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz |

I actually agree. I don't know if this was the main or primary factor but it was clear to me that in figuring out how to win without Ovie, they started playing like a team and correcting weaknesses.

I find it hard to believe that this is the same team I watched at that game against the Devils about 2 years ago, which resulted in Hanlon being fired.

I just hope it doesn't mean that they are peaking now, vs. spring. But they are becoming consistent and more determined to play the whole 60 mminutes.

Posted by: caraveli | December 8, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Brads. Here's to hoping Brads gives his 6 month old a bath in the Cup in June when he has it for a day!

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 8, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1: Nor am I, just saying that Ovi's absence has been invaluable as a lesson to the Caps, and will be even more valuable in the spring. I do think that the teams I'd expect to seriously contend for a Cup include NJD / BOS / PIT / WAS in the East and SJS / CAL / CHI / maybe COL. I'd watch PHX and LAK too. BUF needs to make a move for some scoring at the deadline if they want to be in the mix.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 8, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The Washington capitals took advantage of being in Florida to spend some time at the beach.

Clarkie: "OK, who's got the sunscreen?"
Pothier: "I have Two."
Ersk: "I got some Four."
Ovi: "I have Eight."
Theo: "I have the Sixty, if you don't want to burn."
Green: "I have Fifty-Two."
Clark: "C'mon, Greenie, there is no Fifty-Two."
Green: "I'm telling you, Clarkie, I got Fifty-Two."
Clark: "And I'm the captain and I'm saying that you don't."
Green: "And I'm saying that I'm gonna slug you just like at practice."
Cindy Crysby: "If anyone wants to bend over, I'll give them some Eighty-Seven."
Ovi: "Let's kill him."

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 8, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

This thread and the one preceding it have the kinds of posts that make me grateful all over again that I've been reading the CI! Thanks to all for the laughs, esp tominfl. Fanohock1, terrific insights. Don't ever threaten to leave this board again---LOL!

Fun to have some nice wins in a row and things looking so rosey and postitive. Let's remember this when the lulls come.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 8, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli: I get the impression that they're still learning, because now they need to work Ovi back into the mix, and soon they'll need to work in Knuble and Laing too. The first period last night suggests strongly that there's still some issues with leaning too heavily on Ovi that got corrected in the second. Consistency is still a work in progress, but the improvement over early in the season has been amazing.

I hope they're not peaking this early, too - that would be a shame. But then, didn't we say at the beginning of the year that if this team played 60 minutes they'd be terrifying? I think we're starting to see what happens when they play like a team and play for 60 - and yes, it is frightening.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 8, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

How can any sane person claim our "goaltending sucks" the day after a shutout? Are you serious!?

Posted by: RIP-21 | December 8, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

We might be in 1st, but we cant play defense, and we have no goaltending...

We need Mike Richards and Ray Emery.

We got the Mike from Philly we need. As for Ray Emery, i dont know what your watchin or talkin about. I cant remember the last time our team lost two-straight shutouts and then the game following that, lose an 8-2 blowout. Flyers are hurtin, Bruce doesnt need any of that garbage

Posted by: CapsBoy52 | December 8, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 8, 2009 12:30 PM

if Matt believes Henry will ever want to play hockey - he may want to ask brash to be the godparent - with any luck Henry will be a better 'student' of brash

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 8, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it's a nice "marker," as Bruce puts it. But, I want to be on top in June.

Posted by: stwasm | December 8, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow, some people are having a really hard time with the concept of sarcasm.......

Gas Station Attendant "I'm picking up your sarcasm."
Richard "Well, I should hope so, because I'm laying it on pretty thick."

Posted by: eorr53 | December 8, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

This is fun, eh? Winning is guud!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 8, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

In hilarious news, Brendan Witt got hit by a car today (that's not the funny part). After he got hit by the vehicle, which was making an illegal turn, he tried to jump on the hood, swore at the driver, and then said "I've got to go play hockey. I'm a hockey player. No big deal, I'm okay" to the witnesses. This was this morning and he will still play tonight.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 8, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

i am going to respond to the goalie comment as if the internet sarcasm blew right by me:

The Caps goaltending has improved along with the rest of the team. I think you can point to better defensive play as a main factor in that, plus it seems that Varly and Theo are making better stops and are able "fill the gaps" between the defenders. as for the offensive play without ovi, hopefully reinserting ovi into the lineup won't result in a drastic change in the complexion of the offense. Last nights game was pretty decent and i'm sure they gave ovi the puck a bit more to get a few goals to catch up, but everyone needs to continue to take chances. the second and third lines are starting to produce, esepcially the second. Right now they are in a good mid-season form and hopeully they'll be able to carry that down the stretch. Here's to hoping the Cup is raised in DC!

Posted by: callingallcars | December 8, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Reasons why Ovechkin should be named "THe Amazing Spider-Man®":

1) Spiders have 8 legs.
2) Evildoers suffer when he is on the scene.
3) Like a spider, he is able to perform seemingly impossible contortions and STILL accomplish the task at hand.
4) The numeral "8" resembles the head and body of a spider.
5) Media types want to go all "J.J. Jameson", accusing him of being a "Public Menace".

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40: I think we should embrace this "Dirty" image that the media outside of DC has heaped on him since the suspension and begin referring to him as "The Most Dangerous Man In Hockey". It works on different levels.

Posted by: eorr53 | December 8, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Come on Tom, Cindy is definitely a bottom.

Can someone explain to me why the hit on Green was not a penalty? The Bolt player jumped up to hit Green in the head with his shoulder. How many games would Ovi have been suspended for that hit (though I've not known Ovi to be a head-hunter)?

Posted by: zmega | December 8, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

If Varly continues to improve like he should, we could be watching the making of something really special. The guy's just ungodly quick - eg the glove save on Malone (one of the heaviest shots in the league). Point shot on the PP that was well screened, and he still got it.

For the last couple of years - going back to the end of Kolzig's time here, we were giving up at least one very soft goal per game. It was affecting how our defense was playing, and morale in general (it also was really unnerving to watch). Strong goalie play, along with a defense that is growing up and tightening up, is hopefully the last piece of the puzzle. Nice to see the plan working out - Theo has been a serviceable stop-gap while Varly has matured, and now Varly looks primed to take over the reigns. Go Caps!

Posted by: hook99 | December 8, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Gas Station Attendant "I'm picking up your sarcasm."
Richard "Well, I should hope so, because I'm laying it on pretty thick."

Posted by: eorr53 | December 8, 2009 12:48 PM |

...yet another time where I long for the introduction of a punctuation symmbol that can be used to indicate sarcasm in the written word, independent of context.

But what to call it? We have the : (Bettman) and the ; (Campbell) and the ampersand (&), etc.

So perhaps we should call this new punctuation a "Sarcasmé" (accent on the final syllable)...

Or maybe we can use this:

Ø

(which is expressed via use of [ALT]0216 on Windows machines), and we could call it a "NOT!" as in:

"Gee, Mr. Cherry, that suit of yours sure is swell...(NOT!)"

Hence, the use of the Sarcasmé/NOT in print would be as follows:

"ØGee, Mr. Cherry, that suit of yours sure is swellØ"

Thoughts, anyone?

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@eorr53:

Good idea...maybe a viral tie-in with the Dos Equis Guy: "Stay sick, my friends" (as in "sick" goals).

BTW, I had some possible additions to the Dos Equis Guy thing, based on how similar they are to Chuck Norris Facts:

"He once opened his front door...and walked out of it"

"He once started a car and drove it away...just because he could."

"He once challenged Chuck Norris to a fight...and lived to tell about it."

"He broke the bank at Monte Carlo so many times they had to close it permanently...not just the casino but the entire city."

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40 - personally, I like watching the people who take the sarcastic posts too seriously go nuts. SA-town has provided much amusement lately. Speaking of which, I haven't seen ChickenLittleCapsFan for awhile. Is it just because we're doing so well that even the most vocally pessimistic have gone silent?

Posted by: hook99 | December 8, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

IMO the hit on Green was fine. He was a shoulder to the head which the NHL is trying to avoid, but it was just a defenseman standing up at the blue line. Again, totally fine in my opinion.

The hit on Pothier was more than a 2 in my opinion though. Downie was a time bomb and it was clealy a hit from behind and I don't think Pots missed the boards by much when he went down. Joe B, and Locher tried to play it off as a hit from the side initially but quickly backed off and felt it was name and number that was hit. Suspension? Probably not, but a major and a game, absolutely.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 8, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

Me like lots. Really I enjoy coming here for a good laugh with fellow Caps fans and I always get a chuckle when a poster takes seriously a statement like:

"ØGee, Mr. Cherry, that suit of yours sure is swellØ"

Good example BTW

Now how do I make that symbol on my MacBook Pro???

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know where I can get a Matt Bradley T-shirt? I need it for Christmas and I can't seem to find one anywhere. I'd really appreciate any help.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | December 8, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz
"I think we're starting to see what happens when they play like a team and play for 60 - and yes, it is frightening."

Exactly. This is why the last 3 games have been incredible to watch--very powerful. I am hoping that our boys also see what it feels like to play a full 60-minutes (and not to depend on Ovechkin) so that it becomes second nature to them.

Posted by: caraveli | December 8, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns:

Always glad to be of service ;)

Honestly, I don't know how to make it in a Mac environemnt since I use Windows. That said, I can tell you that it comes from the Windows Character map, it is described as "Latin Capital Letter O With Stroke", and it is used in some Nordic languages (I think Danish and/or Norwegian.

I hope this helps.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns:

Always glad to be of service ;)

I hope this helps.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

The Ø is awesome for the sarcastically impaired.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 8, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Did you see Brendan Witt got hit by a car in Philly?

A few people crowded around to see if he was OK. Once the Philly faithful realized he was an Islander, they boo'ed him.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 8, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns - I think holding down the Apple key and hitting characters will give you some of those, but you can also render in HTML using Ø or Ø.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 8, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Rather, Ø = Ø or Ø. Sorry, HTML failure. I'm looking for a good, complete extended charset reference for you.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 8, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino and @kittypawz

Thanks for helping the keyboard impaired soul that I am. But I do enjoy the analysis AND the sarcasm.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@eorr53:

OK...here goes nothing:

(Visual: Montage of great OV moments)

VOICE-OVER:
--He can score goals through sheer force of will...without even being on the ice.
--He is so good that any player who skates with him plays better.
--Every assault he absorbs only makes him stronger.
--He dresses better than any NON-db guy in the NHL.
--His cell phone costs more than some cars...because it has to.
--He can actually Ka-Bong opposing players into another dimension...legally
--The FBI ordered him to register his slap shot as a lethal weapon.
--The same for his wrister.

He is...The Most Dangerous Man In Hockey.

(Visual: OV in a posh restaurant, surrounded by beautiful girls)

OV:
"I don't always go out partying. But when I do, I prefer the Russia House...Stay 'sick', my friends"

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

Excellent!!! Very 'sick".

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm with fanohock. Hale drilled Green with a beautiful check. That kind of hit is what makes the game great. There is nothing wrong with splattering a guy so there is snot running out his nose and he is looking out his earhole. You just hope the guy gets up off the ice and only his pride is hurt.

Posted by: fatboy08 | December 8, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Haha, I like it. My faves are the cell phone line and the registering his slap shot as a lethal weapon.

I also think it will be obnoxious enough to get under the skin of almost every hockey fan outside of DC especially those in Pittsburgh! Ha

Posted by: eorr53 | December 8, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

You should get a job with that company that recently signed a promotion contract with Ovi... IMG I think it was.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 8, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

mrstominfl1 is going to interview the actor who plays the most interesting man in the world (for an article). I gave her some I made up that she could add to a sidebar:

He enjoys his "fifteen minutes of fame" four times an hour, 24 hours a day.

His reputation not only proceeds him, but stays long after he has left the room.

Not only do generals consult him before battle, but Liberace once sought out his advice on a wardrobe decision.

He is secretly rumored to have provided the Colonel with the correct mixture of eleven herbs and spices.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 8, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

OV:

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2009 2:19 PM |
I'm surprised Baltika hasn't dished out a contract to him yet.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 8, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex

I am not sure if this would be at all convenient for you, but the only place (outside of Verizon) that I have seen playr tshirts of the non-youngguns variety tends to be at Kettler, where they practice.

I called yesterday about a Steckel t-shirt, and they said they should be getting some in in the next day or two, so I would think you would have a good shot at a Brads Tshirt with them...

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 8, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or does the Dos Equis Guy actually LOOK like a young Chuck Norris in the the part of the commercial where he is playing Jai Alai?

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 8, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@ The Stanley Caps -

Thank you so much. It's not very convenient, but it's for my wife, and I think it would be just about her favorite thing, so it would be worth it.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | December 8, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"We might be in 1st, but we cant play defense, and we have no goaltending...

We need Mike Richards and Ray Emery."

This is a joke, right?

Posted by: j762 | December 8, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Varly was simply outstanding last night, especially in the first period when the Caps were sloppy in their own end and were turning over the puck. I counted 4 great scoring chances by TB which he stopped. It seemed to take the wind out of their sails and they were done after it got to 2-0.

The Caps are still one tough, stay at home defenseman away from contending for the Cup IMO. I don't see a Scuderi-type defensveman who is great is in his own end and can clear the crease. Not that these type of guys grow on trees, but think the Caps need to make a move at the trade deadline to get that type of veteran defenseman.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 8, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

ØActually, Richards could come in a play goal and the Caps could use Emery to practice their sucker punches.Ø

Posted by: ds_kelly | December 8, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Emery out for 6 weeks...Man I hope Fhilthy falls flat on their face..

Posted by: numero94 | December 8, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

TheDoubleAlex:
You might want to call over to the Proshop at Kettler to check to see if they have Matt Bradley t-shirts in the size you need before making a special trip over there.

Congratulations to Matt and Sasha Bradley on the birth of your son Henry James Bradley. Welcome to Caps Nation. What a wonderful early Christmas present for the two of you. Can't wait to see the little one in his first #10 jersey and in a red Christmas onesie - babies are so cute all dressed up at Christmas.

Posted by: theresa21 | December 8, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Hold off on that cup talk. The best team we've played so far has been NJ. Our record against them is o-2-1. Yes we beat SJ. Until we play some more of the teams in the west I'll hold off on claiming the cup. West is MUCH stronger than the east as a whole. Good sign we are beating the teams we are supposed to beat though.

humbug.....lol

Posted by: jfwil | December 8, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

wizfan89 - I don't know about the defensive need. Here's a team that is currently in first (though a long way until playoffs begin), and playing some good hockey. I like the chemistry and feel the D has matured and playing much smarter. I say stick with the sure- hand which most likely will keep improving. Keep the faith!

Posted by: gonchpup | December 8, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

West is MUCH stronger than the east as a whole.

Posted by: jfwil | December 8, 2009 5:34 PM

then its a good thing that they will only have to face one team from the west if they get to the SC

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 8, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Just to ask the question. I am looking at the forward lines once everyone is healthy (knock on wood) and I am really perplexed on how they are gonna line them up.

This is mine:

Ovie-Backs-Semin
Flash-Mo #2-Fehr
Laich-Perrault-Knuble
Gordo-Stecks-Brads

What does everyone else think?

Posted by: numero94 | December 8, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ - So true. And it's not like the Caps haven't proven themselves this season despite being in what many consider the weakest division. What has it been, 6 or 7 in the southeast so far, but all wins? Outside the division they have played exceptional hockey with the exception of a few farts along the way. Bring on the Sharks, Wings, Chicago, etc... we can handle 7 games!

Posted by: gonchpup | December 8, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

numero94 - Clark instead of Gordo.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 8, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

numero94 - Actually, I see Knuble back on the 1st line, Semin on the 2nd, Fehr on the 3rd. I think Bruce has the greatest job in the world.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 8, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40: I like the sarcasm markers. For the longest time I've been looking for a font that is "dripping with sarcasm". I picture the letters sort of melting down the page. the null sign is a good idea (no sarcasm here!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 8, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ds_kelly

Sarcasm received and appreciated!!!!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Over at Japers they have a link to an SB Nation discussion on the Canadian Olympic team. And guess who is the worst defensively--our very own much maligned Greenie. I know he comes into criticism here too but I think that when commentators and bloggers and general run-of-the-mill fans across the league talk about the Caps the only thing they can focus on is our defense because of our run-and-gun offensive style. Other than call Ovi a dirty player critics really can't point at us and say we're terrible offensively. So therefore we must s*&% at defense. And if the falsehood gets repeated often enough then it becomes a "truth" or should I say ØtruthØ without looking at objective data. Really Green could post the best numbers and win the Norris and be on the Canadian Olympic team and still people will say he "s&^%s" defense, that he should be a forward. For once I wish people would watch him without preconceived notions before blathering on. Of course I am blathering on, but hey this is a Øblog and not a message board, isn't it.Ø

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

This has nothing to do with the Caps, but I just wanted to say R.I.P. John Lennon. I can't believe it's 29 years today since he was murdered. Wish I could be in Central Park tonight. I was 19 in 1980; the Beatles had been my favorite band since my earliest memories, and I was devastated. He accomplished a lot in his 40 years, and the music is as great now as it ever was.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 8, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

@wocoliz
I am a little older than you, but I was watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell announced it. Utter shock and sadness.

Posted by: Steakum | December 8, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

Enjoyed your little sarcasm about us needing Flyers' players, Richards and Emery, to help us in our needs. It's obviously that that particular post was a joke.

On a more serious note, Richards is a very good young offensive player but isn't what the team needs more of, at the present time and is also very costly. (Granted, he's probably one of Caps land's least favorite people).

As for Emery, fuggetaboutit.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 8, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

@Steakum & wocoliz

I remember hearing the news when I awoke to our alarm that morning. What a way to start the day. Gee, one day after the anniversary of the "Day Of Infamy". That day is now infamous in its own right.

Ever since then, I am reminded of his murder when his Christmas song "So This is Christmas" is played on the radio.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 8, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

I understand your pain. That's how I feel about criticisms of Semin. They are vicious at Japers' at times. Many act like schoolyard bullies.

So many of the things they criticize Sasha for are things all players do, and often with just as much regularity, yet others do not have the incredible skill and upside. It really baffles me.

The only way I can explain it is that some people have an inferiority complex and the only way they can feel better about their own mediocre skills and talents is to rip someone who is truly talented about the margins of their performance.

I also think in Sasha's case that he is not a public persona, hard to understand or know, which also raises suspicion in some people that something is not right.

I tend to like the people with unique talent and skill, who go about their business without saying, "Look at me and how good I am." However, in America it usually is the opposite; we like outgoing personalities generally.

What can we do? Just continue to support our guys. I think they will have the last laugh in the end.

PS -- I like Green, too, and he can drive me just as nuts as Semin, but worth it!

Posted by: Steakum | December 8, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

@numero94

Your line suggestions are great. (I figure they'll leave the top line alone until they start screwing up.)

One question: how far away is Boyd Gordon from returning? If it's awhile, either Quintin Laing or Clark would go on the fourth line. If the latter, it would be Laing/Steckel/Clark

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 8, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

While I certainly think Green is a great player, I almost hope he doesn't make the Canadian Olympic team. Let him rest.

Given that a good portion of the Canadian team consists of Crosby and many of the Philthy Flyers (Carter, Richards, Pronger, etc.), I would feel less guilty about rooting against Canada if Green were not on the team. Do I really want Green on a team that consists of Philthy and Crosby? Nope.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 8, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Is Boyd Gordon on LTIR? I don't remember seeing the announcement if he was moved there. If he's not on LTIR, why isn't he? Seems like we could use his cap room too.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 8, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

@JohninMpls

So Bradley is naming his boy Henry. Back to the old fashioned names. When my kids were born, nobody was naming their baby boys, Henry. (Gee, and Henry is the "official" form of "Harry", the name foe Harry Potter. "Henry" has actually been pronounced "Harry" in the past.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 8, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

@Steakum & @@Capsyoungguns

I agree. They are certainly vicious in criticizing Semin over at Japers'. At least one time, I defended Semin over there and got a comment that they'd love to go against me in fantasy hockey, since I'd be the type who'd sell low and buy high.

(Not all the Japers' posters are anti-Semin but they got plenty of them.)

The worst critic of Semin in Caps blog land is over at "Storming the Crease". The blogger there is anti-Semin big time and, at one point, had an anti Semin rant daily.

Everyone was so critical of Semin for being "inconsistent" when he was playing hurt. Yet Backstrom spent much of November in a slump and got a pass.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 8, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, the "Sports Junkies" on the radio were talking about Semin and thinking that the Caps may be trading him. Some of my co-workers were talking about it this morning.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 8, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

@steakum and capsfan75

Please you misunderstood me. The fine posters at Japers were defending Green on a thread about the Canadian Olympic d-man roster at Pension Plan Puppets on SB Nation. Then Gotsparkly posted on Japers a fine analysis of d-men which was then used on the PPP thread as statistical support.

The argument (realize I was only a voyeur not a poster) stemmed over whether Green was being fairly or unfairly criticized for his defensive skills, that he was only good offensively. The Japers folks pretty much said they would be happy not having him on the team so that he would be fresh and mad for the rest of the NHL regulation and playoff season. BUT to leave him off by snidely saying he wasn't good defensively was just plain WRONG.

Took me a long time to finish the read. Hey I can clean the kitchen anytime.....! But for the record the good folks at Japers are fans of Green.

Right now Cap fans seem to be fans of the entire roster--even Semin is getting a break from criticism. I like it when we are united.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

Ah, I see. However, they are vicious about Semin. Green does get criticized some, too, but generally he gets a pass for the same things Semin is criticized for. I know the players are professionals, but they also are people and will not be perfect all the time. However, some are expected to be.

I know the guys are excited at the thought of playing for their countries, but I sure hope they do not get injured.

Posted by: Steakum | December 8, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

December 08, 2009, 7:26PM
South Carolina (ECHL) announced late Tuesday afternoon that goalie Braden Holtby was recalled to Hershey. Michal Neuvirth and Jason Bacashihua are healthy and practiced. Perhaps there's a recall to Washington brewing.

Posted by: samb99 | December 8, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

@steakum

The reason I like checking over at Japers is that they have good statistical analysis and like here at CI Semin, Green, and Schultz seem to generate a lot of commentary both good and bad. At first I was all for letting players participate but at the moment it worries me a bit too. The Canadian rabble rousing tone with some of the posters was a little scary. There was "only Ovi likes to hit" and "our playoff style of hockey will cream those fancy shooters and send them back home" kind of tough talk. There is definitely an anti-Ovi attitude. And I think Green gets tarred with "he is only good because of Ovi" as does many of our players. It's going to be a rough two weeks and I am beginning to understand the Caps persecution complex. We get no respect--that's for sure. But the Japers posters--there were several--were very logical in their rebuttals and did not trash talk in return. Their points were noticed and received. I was surprised by the level of ignorance and claptrap regarding our Caps. When we do finally have the Cup here on DC maybe then the drivel will cease. We'll see. I do love reading well constructed arguments especially in support of our Caps.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan75

You wouldn't believe the drival at PPP about Green because of his playoff performance. Players who were hurt got a pass except for Green (really any Caps player but he was the topic du jour). Perception is hard to overcome but there was an incredible amount of ignorance and xenophobia. Felt like saying "but Greenies's a good Canadian boy too." I think I am going to root for the Americans and Russians. No Canadian gold will be just fine by me.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see the report that Emery is going to need surgery. If I likes the Flyers better I'd feel sorry for them. That's tough and explains his sudden subpar performances

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

I recall that people were awfully mad at Green for his subpar playoff performance due to both injury and illness. It's as if the playoff performance cancelled his regular season performance.

I thought he was being unfairly attacked.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 8, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

@samb99

Interesting news on Holtby being recalled to Hershey.

I hope Varly and Theo are okay. Varly didn't practice today but most of our high minute players didn't practice either.

Is Neuvy about to be recalled here? And do we have cap space for him anyhow?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 8, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 8, 2009 10:52 PM

The alternative is that he knew he was ailing and it wasn't that bad so he played through it. After he proved against us that it didn't matter if he was on the ice or not, he got surgery.

Posted by: Raber | December 9, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Stat of the morning: Varlamov has the highest winning percentage of any goalie in the NHL (Wins/GP).

Posted by: Raber | December 9, 2009 2:50 AM | Report abuse