Boudreau on Kozlov: 'He's that round peg in that round hole'

A very light day out here at KCI this morning. Practice was optional so there weren't many players on the ice - again, which is something we're going to see a lot more down the stretch.

The big news today was that Viktor Kozlov will return to the lineup tomorrow. The veteran has missed three weeks (nine games) with a groin muscle pull, but it looks like he's going to be back on the right side of the top line with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom against the Thrashers. That trio, when all three players are on top of their game, is arguably the most dangerous line in the league.

"Tomorrow, we will see," Kozlov said. "So far I feel pretty good in practice. The next step is to try it in a game."

The team has been ultra-cautious with Kozlov's injury. Groin pulls are a tough injury for hockey players to rebound from, and the training staff/management didn't want the muscle strain to become a muscle tear or turn into a recurring problem like it was with Tom Poti earlier this season.

Kozlov means a lot to the Caps, even if his 11 goals, 31 points and plus/minus rating of minus-3 might suggest otherwise. Just ask Bruce Boudreau.

"He's like a piece to the puzzle on that line that allows you to do so much more," Boudreau said. "He doesn't have 75 points, but he's that round peg in that round hole. It's a good fit."

When Kozlov is top line's right wing, he brings something that Alexander Semin and Michael Nylander do not in that same role. Kozlov is a big, powerful stick-handler with outstanding hockey sense, and when he has the puck in the corner or below the goal line, he often draws a defenseman and a forward to him, opening up space to Ovechkin and Backstrom to do their thing.

"My job is simple: pass the puck to Nicky or Alex," Kozlov joked.

The final 21 games are going to be vital for Kozlov and the Caps as they decide what's next for the 34-year-old. Kozlov will be an unrestricted free agent at year's end.

"To be honest, I don't think about that," he said. "For us, it's just about preparing for the playoffs. That's what I'm thinking. I don't think about the contract at all."

He might not be thinking about it. But you can rest assured that it's on GM George McPhee's mind. What Kozlov does over the last six weeks of the regular season and in the playoffs - and what he asks for at the bargaining table - will likely determine whether he's back next year or not.

I'll have more on Kozlov's return in tomorrow's paper.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 25, 2009; 12:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kozlov set to return
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Come back Koz! We need you!

Posted by: tURBO8 | February 25, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 25, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Completely unrelated to Kozlov

but the ice looked horrid last night. I was at home watching and there was one play in the 3rd period where I think Gagne dumped the puck down the ice and it bounced from the red line all the way down to the caps zone.

You could tell how bad it was because both teams were having trouble pulling up with the puck, it would sit and not move.

Terrible..wait till April and May when its actually warm outside

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | February 25, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

TEB...Grrrrrr!!

Skins28

Everyone here hates Nylander. I'm not a big fan of him either - at least not this year. But let's look at facts. Compare Nylander to Kozlov who plays a similar role.

Both have similar TOI - 14:30 and 15:50 (N vs K). Both have 20 assists. Koz has 4 more goals at 11. Kos' +/- is -3 while Nyls is +3. Koz has 10 PIMs to Nyls 30, but Feds has 30 and Backstrom, Clark, Bradley and Steckel all have 30-34 PIMs so he's not excessive.

So why do we hate him so much? Just the fact that he's expensive, underproducing for the bucks, and he's preventing us from getting Alzner up full-time.

At the time, though, it was a great deal. He had 79 points in 05-06. Had 83 in 06-07. Last year he was hurt with half the season and had 37 points (on target for 74 points). Everyone here was singing his praises - well, almost everyone.

Still, we don't have to be so vitriolic about him. If he can solve whatever issue he has, we'll be singing the Nylander psalms again.

There's a lot of issues to be fixed on this team. The biggest one I can think of is our tendency to take the foot off the accellerator. We played a brilliant 1st period. Then we stopped. Why the hell can't we play a full 60 minutes?

Posted by: Greg S. | February 25, 2009 1:15 PM

Posted by: Greg S. | February 25, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Can't underestimate Koz's value - if nothing else it puts Semin back on the second line - where he belongs. Anyone else read into Bruce's comments on the earlier entry that some guys are going to lose ice time because of all of the minor penalties? Semin anyone? Morrison?

Posted by: TrabZ | February 25, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Something I said later last night and still believe today:

GMGM, based on our scouting reports, went out and got Kronwall, why? Well, maybe for a matchup against a team like we saw last night(?)

I really hope we see Kronwall in there on March 12, or else why did we bother to go take him from the Leafs?

Posted by: austinsteve | February 25, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Kronwell is an AHLer..nothing more

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | February 25, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"inverted 3-D dodecahedran"

CLASSIC!

Posted by: CBT2 | February 25, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@rdy4all2000

Yes, that's what the Leafs thought.

GMGM said specifically they wanted to try him out at the NHL level and he hasn't gotten much of a tryout. I'm not saying he's proven he deserves to be here, just that I want to see him on March 12.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 25, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S.

One reason that people don't like him (or at least one of the reason's why I don't like him) is because he doesn't fit the system Boudreau has at all. I really don't like him on the top line with Ovechkin and Backstrom because those two can get up and go up the ice and move the puck efficiently while moving quickly. Nylander just s l o w s t h i n g s d o w n a n d c i r c l e s a r o u n d w i t h t h e p u c k. And he's never physical, either. It's annoying.

Posted by: dcox50 | February 25, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

ThisGuy, lol!

Good to hear Kozzie's coming back! He's certainly been missed.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 25, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Now I know what the incredible spinning meatball is actually shaped like -- a dodecahedron.. But of course! It must be the only shape that for every puck fired into it, bounces it off to a corner D with a 3 second delay. It also has problems rolling down the ice to back-check and what not..

Posted by: VladG | February 25, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

dcox50

I won't argue that at all. By the same physical play (lack thereof), I'm not seeing a point for having Schultz, either. He got scored on - again - trying to lift the stick instead of hitting the guy right in front of him.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 25, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Question for commenters on an off day:

Joffrey Lupul is fast becoming a Caps killer...that pass last night for the tying goal was, to quote mike green, "sick" and he just seems to be all over the ice when we play...and of course nobody needs to be reminded of what he did to us last postseason.

got me thinking about other Caps killers through the years... i'm wondering who you remember as the worst Caps killer in your years of fandom.

Posted by: donknutts | February 25, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TrabZ | February 25, 2009 1:17 PM

Gobble, gobble, TrabZ. I don't recall people saying that Semin was that bad last night. From what I gathered, it was more about the defensemen not really doing their job. Many are pointing to Schultz. But no, Semin's probably staying on that second line. Your selective memory seems to forget that Semin did well against the Penguins, even getting a goal for us, but I guess that's too far behind us for you to even consider keeping Semin in the game.

Gobble, freakin' gobble, dude....

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 25, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Ahahahaha...."inverted 3-D dodecahedran."

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

WTF was Erskin thinking with that dumb-ass penaly? Why would he pitchfork a guy right in the NaDS? Was he hoping Cindy was down there. It is getting very tiresome seeing players of the skill level of Erskin bring the CAPS down to their level of Classless Dumb Hockey. I would take 3 Nylanders and a Shultz over Erskin any day. With all the talk of Pronger I can only hope players like erskin can be gone. BE GONE WICKED Classless player

Posted by: CapCenterholdover | February 25, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The whole and only reason to dislike Nylander (as a player; there is no reason to dislike him as a person) is the fact that he doesn't fit the system. At all. His game is based on his playing with a winger with whom he has great set-up chemistry...because he can be a great set-up man when he plays with the right line. But no one on the current roster has ever developed that chemistry with him. In BB's fire-wagon hockey system, and without a winger whose mind he can read, he is lost. Which is unfortunate becuase he is without a doubt a top center in the right system/with the right linemates.

The opposite of Kozlov, who is not the most skilled winger out there, but just plain fits extremely well with Ovi and Backis.

Posted by: Baildog | February 25, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Kronwall is the guy that let Ryan Smith get FOUR whacks at the puck in the Avs game, eventually leading to a score. Kronwall should have cleared him out and BB even as much.

And you want him to play against Philly on March 12??

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 25, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"...BB even SAID as much."

Sorry

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 25, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Semin's a bit "blonde" sometimes but his dipsy-dooing (see Lauffer) pales to the master that is Nylander. And Semin had the second-most SOG for the team last night.

(Nylander with the goose egg)

Posted by: austinsteve | February 25, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

re: rdy4all2000

"kronwall is an AHLer"

he has showed more than our current D-men standing people up @ the blue line

with the exception of Green and maybe Morrison sadly our whole D could all fit nicely in the AHL

Posted by: capsgary | February 25, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

wasn't it weird when Ovie scored Nylander didn't enter the celebration nor did anyone go over to him

Posted by: capsgary | February 25, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@waitingsince75

I didn't see that 4 whack play. I am easily distracted. Usually I will watch all goal replays online 3 or 4 times but not that one. Anybody want to confirm that was Kronwall's bust? I'm pretty sure I saw comments blaming somebody else.

I'm going to look for a replay on that.

Yes, we pay our scouts to do a job and we play armchair QB. Send him in. At least if we sit Schultz March 12 we can pick on the new guy when our D goes to hell.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 25, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve - Why do you want Kronwall to play against Philly? Why not against ATL or TB?

Again - Kronwall hasn't shown a lot of desire to do the clearing out that we need.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 25, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

McPhee said last night, at the pre-game event, that he got Kronwall because he wants to have an extra defenseman at the NHL level so they have enough guys to practice and he doesn't want young guys like Alzner to sit if they aren't playing with the Caps. Additionally, he said, they see some NHL upside in Kronwall. Finally, he was dirt cheap.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 25, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Work is interrupting my A.D.D. working/commenting for the next hr but I will put another 2 cents in later if people are still talking about how our D could be any worse against the Flyers if we put Kronwall in.

Dropping him in cold in any game and saying "show me" isn't going to show us much, I'm definitely not saying don't try him in other games. We just need a fresh angle on Philly

Posted by: austinsteve | February 25, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks ccCapsfan. Kronwall is a practice player. That is it.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 25, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I wish I went to the Hockey n' Heels event, cause Neuvy was there! I would die to see him.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 25, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

For all you stats only guys. Match the stats with a player.

G A Pts +/- PIMS

7 20 27 3 30
6 18 24 11 30
9 11 20 11 18
11 20 31 -3 10

Federov
Fehr
Kozlov
Nylander

Posted by: puckman | February 25, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

'He's that round peg in that round hole'

He's going to magically stop the team from taking 5 minors a game?

Posted by: Section117 | February 25, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm coming out of the closet and admitting I've become a Kozloz fan this year as well. He's good on the forecheck, a great stick handler and sees the ice really well. He does alot of things that just don't show up in the stats and rarely takes a penalty.

I think it is time to start benching a few guys for these dump penalties. It's becoming ridiculous!

Posted by: dsphvywght | February 25, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

My opening is that I love this team. There are some weaknesses but every time in the East has them and we’ve got a devastating record against the East – barring the Flyers. I’ll take the team as is, right now, and I think they’ll go deep in the playoffs. But, if asked to protect a number of players and plate up the rest, here’s the order I have them in; above the line and you’re safe.

Forwards

Laich
Fehr
Nylander
Bradley
Brashear
Gordon

I know, you’re wondering about Steckel. I used to not be much of a Steckel fan but I like his play much better now. I also know that he’s our best PKer at the blue line and makes the other team work really hard. I also think he’s a pretty good third-line center. Feds is up above the line because I think his influence on all the players – the Russian in particular – can’t be overrated. I also think he’s the smartest skater out there.

Defensemen

Green
Poti
Alzer
Schultz
----- trade line ----
Jurcina
Erskine
Morissonn

Ah, Schultz. I’m not as hateful of him as a lot of folks. I watch him every night and he’s far more useful than those below the line. He certainly has a niche on the ice and if he gets out of position he’ll have a hard time recovering. I’m not a scout but he isn’t out of position very often. He’s also not in the penalty box very often.

Posted by: saintex | February 25, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Unless there's a Selke candidate coming the other way, getting rid of Laich and Gordo would be disastrous o_O

Posted by: honed | February 25, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Schultz was the worst player on the ice last night, and that would include Slap Shot

Posted by: gtydings | February 25, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@puckman-

I tend to stay away from stats-only analysis, but... I think when you take into consideration the fact that Feds has played in significantly fewer games than Nylander, there is a difference in those stats.

Posted by: FedorovCrunch | February 25, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

saintex:

I would move Laich, and probably Fehr, above that line. Laich plays tough and does the dirty work, and Fehr is coming around lately and will be an asset down the road.

And I agree about Schultz. Definitely not the most fleet-of-foot (case-in-point when he got danced around last night), but doesn't take penalties like the others do. I'd take him over Erskine or Morrisonn.

Posted by: dcox50 | February 25, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@dcox50

I like Fehr and Laich quite a bit but if I'm looking to upgrade somewhere then I protect the top 6 and consider trading those below. I'd have to get something very good in return for a Laich or Fehr.

Like I said, I'm very happy with the team overall and will take them as is for a good playoff run.

Posted by: saintex | February 25, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Steckel, Gordon and Laich would all be in a middle area, not untouchable, but GMGM would need to have another good PKer in hand before moving them.

Posted by: koalatek | February 25, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

mark bell claimed off re-entry waivers by the Rags.

lol @ toronto

Posted by: richmondphil | February 25, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I just did some math and I think we have enough room under the salary cap right now to add pretty much whoever we want for the stretch run. It all depends on what GMGM is willing to give up.

According to nhlnumbers.com we are 1.754 under the cap. So if we just move prospect and picks, Alzner stays down until the playoffs.

Players of interest and cap hit down stretch.
Pronger- 1.31
Jovo- 1.365
Cole- 840K
Gaborik- 1.323
Kaberle- 893K
Tkachuck 840K

If you want to figure out anyone else, go to that site and just multiply their cap number by .21 and you get their cap hit post deadline.

Posted by: ThePat | February 25, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@saintex:

It's ok as a trade list, the depth order is fine, except I'm not sure it's consistent. To me, both Laich/Fehr are tradeable for the right price, but they are both less tradeable than Schultz, who is projecting like more of a 5-6 d-man at this point, IMO, and definitely looks questionable on the 2nd pair at this point.

Posted by: VladG | February 25, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this was posted or not... but it is pretty hilarious. Chris Cooley poking fun about the "photoshop" pics done by pens fans of he and Ovi:

Posted by: Grape8 | February 25, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"If Kozlov is the round peg for the round hole, Nylander is an inverted 3-D dodecahedran."

probably the best post ive ever read on here.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 25, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@thepat
that's some confusing math, but that 1.754 doesn't correlate to our cap hit for the stretch, but rather our cap hit as a whole. meaning that the abbreviated cap hits don't correlate to it.

meaning we can't afford any of those people without moving a lot of people.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 25, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@Vlad,

The list could be combined to run from top-to-bottom with all players in one pile. I just broke it up by forwards and dmen for no real reason. I'm not sure I would have Schultz as a second line guy if I kept those above both lines and moved the rest. I'm guessing that if I'm mixing and matching trades then I'll bring in a few dmen to slip into the lineup.

The other thing about any trade or pick-up that puts me off is the time it will take a new guy - no matter how good - to get comfortable in BB's system. That's no small task - I think only Kronwall applies - since everyone we've played this year comes from the same system in Hershey.

Posted by: saintex | February 25, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

We have $1.754 in cap space, the players caps hits are for the stretch that is a little more than 1/5 of the season. Those numbers do fit into the cap. Its actually not confusing math, it's relatively simple.

Posted by: ThePat | February 25, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Since I'm not there, I can't judge too well; but the ice looks just as bad on TV as it did months ago? True?

Easy for million dollar athletes to get hurt. Ted needs to protect his guys and get it fixed.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 25, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Have y'all seen this yet? Harkens back to Semin's fightin' day(s?)!

Posted by: armonroe | February 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@lylewimbledon:

My husband asked GMGM about the ice last night at the STH "chalk talk." He said it generally wasn't any worse than any other NHL multi-use arena, although he did talk about the Saturday night after Georgetown had an afternoon game that went into OT. He told us that after each game there are surveys done of the players and refs - that usually the ice is graded just fine when we win and complained about when we lose! I took from his response that nothing was in the offing to change or improve the ice condition.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | February 25, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'll bite the points bait.

Associate a name to the players - last 14 games statistics

±   Height   Weight
 5    6.1     189
14    6.6     221

Who would you choose for the playoffs?

If you choose #2 you'd get Jeff Schultz. If you choose #1 you'd get Nicklas Lidstrom.

The only answer so far to the accusation of him not being good enough are "look at his +/-" or "he's usually good in positioning". Well, in fast paced, intense game like yesterday's or the playoff's, you will get caught out of position often, no matter how good you are.

If your defense is "well, he's darn cheap" than I'll agree. But if you want to use stats to back up the argument that he's a good D-man, then you have to be ready to claim he's better than Lidstrom.

Posted by: mauree | February 25, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mauree | February 25, 2009 3:43 PM

Is your proclivity against Schultz really that bad that you want to compare one player who's won more Norris trophies than the other's had seasons?

Posted by: Section117 | February 25, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Kozlov = FREIGHT TRAIN with skill. Those are good to have.

Posted by: pachanga74 | February 25, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@DevilsCapGal

Thank you for your answer...that was helpful. On TV, it looks like the puck is jumping a lot and the players are catching their edges at bad spots. It appeared we could have put away 2-3 goals had the puck settled better on the ice for the player. Laughlin even commented that the puck was "bouncing like a rubber ball."

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 25, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I posted this link a few weeks ago. It's a Sabermatrician's objective look at all the 07-08 season. Being that I don't think he has any horse on the race - nor can I fully explain his formulas - you can sort every team, position and player by player contribution (PC), offensive contribution, defensive contribution, etc. PC is the overall total for every player and moves across all positions. By his tally, Schultz was the #30 defenseman last year and #2 on the Caps. Lidstrom, as expected, is #1 in the league (and #22 overall for all players). If you don't care to look at it, 13 of the top 14 overall were goalies and AO with the interloper at #11. It's pretty cool to play with and see where everyone falls when I remove my amateur scouting eyes. I think that much like the Battier article (if anyone read it), we are often beholden to the more basic box score statistics we've always trusted and don't sometimes see subtle differences.

Posted by: saintex | February 25, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I feel the need to say this.

I'm NOT saying don't move Nylander 1. if you can (NTC), and 2. the deal makes sense (a D-man or picks).

I AM saying we don't need to be acidic about it. The team he's on is not the same team he signed on with. Not everyone can handle the change, and apparently he's one of them.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

sorry if already posted but here is a link to some trade rumors for us -

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 25, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

who else is a ufa after this season? Id love to see gmgm pick up gaborick or boumeester but I dont know who to give for them.

Posted by: Puckthepens | February 25, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

donknutts:
billy smith - NYI goalie - hated him as much if not more than crysby

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 25, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks ccCapsfan for the news that GMGM said as recently as last night he sees some NHL upside in Kronwall.

The four tap goal (9:35 left in 1st):

Kronwall did not position himself properly to be our backside cover there, maybe 5 or 6 feet too far over. That's also the reason he couldn't stomp Smyth. He'da had to go through JT. That is more on the fundamentals side...

But is one play a reason to write someone off as a lifetime AHLer?

Check out Poti on GA #4!
:O ... X)

Okay, even I think enough about Kronwall.

The trade deadline is in a week. Here's hoping we have a much better option by March 12.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 25, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Off Topic...

Are there any year-2009 Season Ticket Holders who would consider sharing their plan? My brother and I have enjoyed 11-game plans in the 100's sections for the past 2 years but are unable to secure a similiar plan in 2009 due to the tremendous success and popularity of the CAPS.

Our preferences would be to remain in the 100's sections and for 10-15 games. Although we did see a few key match-ups like the Pens, Flyers, etc., many of the games were for less-popular opponents and during the less popular nights of Monday thru Thursday.

If any STH is willing to enter in to discussions regarding some type of share arrangement, please contact me at CLDavis@myactv.net. Be sure to let me know the cost and location of your seats, as well as how you would like me to contact you. BTW, our next game to attend will be on 03/05 vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Thank you for any considerations, and LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: TrackCollector | February 25, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@117

thanks, I learned what proclivity means :)

Well, my disposition toward Schultz is indeed bad, and I admitted before, and I'll admit now, that I'm probably stubbornly biased against him, in that I think he'll be a liability in the playoffs. This is just my opinion only, and of course I've been proven wrong before many times.

My argument was directed to all the people that answer: "hey, but he's +17" to defend him, w/o mentioning one single thing, except "positioning" he's bringing to the game. So I was trying to argue that positioning alone is not enough.

I'm sorry... I know I have a short fuse regarding Jeff... he's probably a nice guy too...

Posted by: mauree | February 25, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

capsfansince74:
Thanks for the link. I sure hope we don't pick up Pronger.

mauree:
If we do pick him up, I am blaming you. ;-)

From TheFourthPeriod.com:
Capitals looking for veteran defenseman
As the Washington Capitals try to solidify their position among the league's elite, GM George McPhee is trying to add a top-four defenseman before the trade deadline.

The Capitals have approximately $1.5 million in available cap space and could add a significant player before the March 4 deadline.

According to several reports, the Capitals have expressed an interest in Anaheim's Chris Pronger, Phoenix's Derek Morris and Colorado's Jordan Leopold.

Meanwhile, it's believed the Capitals are still looking to part with veteran center Michael Nylander to free up some extra cap space, but his veteran presence might benefit the club throughout the playoffs.

From the Editor: With the amount of cap space the Capitals have, they don't necessarily need to move someone like Nylander to fit a big contract under the cap. If the Capitals wait until March 4 to make a trade, they'll have 17 games left in the schedule. Effectively, the Capitals can bring in a player making $7 million in total salary, as he'll only be due about $1.45 million. There aren't many players with that type of salary out there, but someone like Chris Pronger could be very interesting. -- David Pagnotta

Posted by: Boo- | February 25, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

In his today's interview at http://capitals.nhl.com/, BB made quite a face when Tarik(?), after having mentioned the 8-19-25 line being the top offensive in NHL, said that 8-19-28 is the third. BB then sarcastically added: "They must have caught him (Semin) on a good night..." It seems that he is quite frustrated with Sasha's penalties. Not a good sign...though BB did look tired after yesterday.

Posted by: fnralch | February 25, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

BB's comment is around 1:50.

Posted by: fnralch | February 25, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

@Boo

haha :) - I don't see how he can come to Wash. Maybe if the Ducks don't make the playoffs... but I think they will. So much talk about him, but I know better than raise my expectations.

Posted by: mauree | February 25, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I know, I know...all you good people have now finished "working" for the day and are no longer interested in engaging in further dialog here; however, it's exactly the opposite for me.

I have just concluded my reading of your jabs and tirades from this afternoon, and would appreciate you now indulging me for a bit.

In no particular order:

I trust BB and GMGM to understand not just the +/-'s and goal scoring stats, but also the vibe and brotherhood that exists on that team. Anyone at the Playoff games last year could tell that those boys were only playing for each other -- not us -- but each other.

If we fill a 20-man roster with nothing but more experienced players, they will retire or move along to a bigger paycheck in short order, and we'll then be on this blog complaining vehemently about the "growing pains" we're going through. Some of these BB Hershey boys NEED the playing time now to develop into our stars of the future. Let them play. Let them make some mistakes. And let them learn from them. See #1 above: In Bruce We Trust.

Whomever suggested trading Laich and Fehr (or even Schultz for that matter) is crazy. Don't take it personally, however, we are not talking about your perfect fantasy league hockey team here.

Regarding the abundance of penalties duly noted, and Semin aside, please take note of the last name(s) of 2 Refs/Linesmen in particular who happen to be biased against the Caps. (In my totally humble, but accurate opinion). They have the same last name and may even be brothers. They caught my attention when both were on the ice about a year ago in our loss to the Blackhawks during that awesome stand to move from worst to first. I've had my eye on them ever since. [I'd like to know where they live!] One of them was there last night and the other was at the Pittsburgh game making us look like the most penalized team in hockey on national TV.

Can we still talk here about what a whimp and total whiner Cindy Crosby is...???

Please...oh please?

Posted by: Caps16Fan | February 25, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Ball-Slapper

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Face-Off jumping Captain Amazing, living in a basement, hahahahahahahahahhahahaha

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

*sigh* I wish I could, but I gave up Crosby bashing for Lent. However, I will say he's a scratch tonight due to his groin injury.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 25, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Did I mention Ball-Slapper?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I heard they called up Groiney McGroinerson to take BallSlappers place on the second line, behind Malkin.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Ball-Slappin, Sac-Punchin, Roid-Rappin, Captain Amazing.

Groiney McGroinerson will be sent back down when His Groinerness returns.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mauree | February 25, 2009 4:57 PM

Fair enough.

The short answer for me would be to refer you to Japers and Behindthenet, but in summation:

Takes the fewest minors per 60 among d-men while playing the 2nd toughest competition

Tied with Poti as 2nd best among team d-men in goals allowed per 60

First among blocked shots per 60

On the PK:

3rd in goals allowed per 60

Most missed shots allowed per 60

Do what you want with it, very little of it will change minds on this bog.

Posted by: Section117 | February 25, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Malkin is one great player, isn't he? You gotta admit that he and Ovie stood way out from the crowd. He is just 22 and will be giving our gr8t one a run for the money in years to come. Fun to witness for us all.

Plus he is not a ball-slapper and that is good too.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

4th in goals allowed per 60

/fixed

Posted by: Section117 | February 25, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

The thing with Sarge is that he could be really good, but he is slow. His mind is telling him where to go and his body says 'get back to you in a minute'.

He has good numbers 'cause he knows what to do and when to do it, but he is slow and not mean enough.

Oh well, can't be anything more than what you are.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

he moves the player to his advantage, sets things up so that no harm is done, reads what will happen.

BUT, he is slow and not mean enough and that leads to GA.

He gets put out against some of the best players, because he is favored by the coaches (because they see the little cool things he does that most don't notice) and those players end up setting HIM up and it leads to GA.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

When he gets beat, it usually looks pretty bad, moving as slow as he does and not being willing/able to get players seated onto the ice when needed.

He's not great and that's that, he is good but not great, talk to me after the playoffs.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Ball-Slapper

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@117

I guess we're agreeing to disagree. I respect your opinion though - I'm looking forward to be proven wrong by him. By the way, how do Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Pronger, Rafalski rate on those stats? Do you think Schultz is in the same league as them?

Posted by: mauree | February 25, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes, they are technically in the same league. **sigh**

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

"I know about the numbers favoring him, but if he were faster and meaner, he could be special."

Cue up the part where I say that he's the youngest and least experienced guy on the blueline right now.

Posted by: Section117 | February 25, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

We should show those Sarge numbers to some other team and tell THEM how good he is, right?

Guys, he is REALLY good. Look at these numbers! Pay no attention to the video, he looks bigger in person.

Now...how much do you want to pay us for him?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

WhyGo:
funny stuff - again don't stop, don't ever stop.

you trying to get jmu_capsgirl to jump of the lent bandwagon?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 25, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

As you can tell, I'm schizo about him. I know he will be good, and is good, but I cuss at him almost as much as Sasha.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Thank God.

Do we know whether Neuvirth is going to be in the net yet? I'm thinking about not going tomorrow, but I do want to go if he is.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm Catholic, too.

Ball-Slapper

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

kitty say WHAT?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

8 and Kovie will battle. This will be a good game. Gonna be a good one, plus you just know that Koz will be on fire.

Betting on new guy for goalie, don't we all think so?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 25, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Fun read on Ovie: http://knowways.com/?p=254

Posted by: bensentient | February 25, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh my...I just wrote something a bit "unsavory" about Cindy and it was held by the blog police. Sorry you all won't get to read it.

Posted by: Caps16Fan | February 25, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

i've seen every player on the team (including OV) make bad plays or take a penalty they shouldn't have, let in a soft goal etc.

stop bashing everyone that makes a bad play.

i'd like to hear from someone that has attended caps practices and understands their D system.
could it ever be that our D are out of position because one of the forwards missed a backcheck or the forward was out of position?
each player is going to have good and bad nights on the ice and there will always (except in OV's case) be someone out there better than them. there is definitely room for improvement on D - but at what cost. how long does GMGM and BB wait to see those improvements? we'll all just have to wait and see what GMGM can do by mar 4. until then everyone should keep forcing their .02¢ worth on everyone else here - because it makes for great reading!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 25, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I note with interest that Schultz' detractors rely on comparisons with Rafalski, Lidstrom, Pronger, and Chara. So, if you're not one of the six best defensemen in the NHL, by the time you're 23, you suck?
The guy's got a serious knack for -diffusing- the plays opponents most want. Would you rather have that, and teach bashing? Or have bashing, and teach Defense?
It appears that those hockey-impaired doofi, BB and GMGM, have made -their- choice in the matter.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 25, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Nylander is a great technical player with a good sense of humour. He makes it easier to live for guys like kozlov, semin and backstrom.

Posted by: lucaswangborg | February 25, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mauree | February 25, 2009 5:51 PM

Let's look at those names for a second:

Rafalski: Graduated college and spent 4 years in Sweden/Finland before coming to NJ at 27.

Lidstrom: 3 years at Vasteras before coming to Detroit.

Niedermayer: 2 WJCs before coming to NJ and playing with Scott Stevens.

Pronger: Went from the OHL to the bigs and had 2 meh seasons in Hartford before getting traded to St. Louis and meeting Mike Keenan. WJC just before going pro.

Schultz: Part of a year in Hershey after coming from Calgary, no WJC or International experience.

So really, comparing Schultz' now to those guys' now is unfair. Shoot, you could even make the case that comparing Schultz' now to those guys' then is unfair as well.

People around here want Schultz to be Pronger or Chara. Will it happen? I don't know, but I know that a) it's not going to happen overnight and b) if people suggest that a player's peak at the D position isn't until the mid to late 20s, Schultz deserves time to develop like everybody else does.

Posted by: Section117 | February 25, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

@Caps16Fan, by this blog?

Posted by: rachel216 | February 25, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I know, I was being unnecessarily provocative, as in: "the stats put him ahead of those guys, so is he better than them?".

But I know what you meant of course - now I'm just being impossible. Forgive me, still working at 1am here.

Posted by: mauree | February 25, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, I sure hope Neuvy is starting. Although If I were you I'd go to every game I could, but if Neuvy WERE starting, that would make it all the sweeter. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 25, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

"For all you stats only guys. Match the stats with a player.

G A Pts +/- PIMS

7 20 27 3 30
6 18 24 11 30
9 11 20 11 18
11 20 31 -3 10

Federov
Fehr
Kozlov
Nylander

Now compare their salaries with their stats. Is Nyls much different than Feds and Kozlov?"

Puckman, what you fail to mention in your post above is the fact that Fedorov (34), Kozlov (47) and Fehr (40) have all played significantly fewer games than Nylander. Also stats never, ever, ever tell the whole story in hockey. Nylander just flat out can't win any battles in the corners or along the boards. He does do many things well and if anybody ahead of him goes down, as have all the abovementioned players, then he is great to have available. But the team is much better off having Fedorov, Fehr and Kozlov in there ahead of him.

Posted by: ouvan59 | February 25, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

Yes...by this blog. I wrote "Crosbyisadxxche" something I've seen on the back of a t-shirt a guy in my section (108) wears. I guess it was too racy for the blog.

Posted by: Caps16Fan | February 25, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Forgive me, still working at 1am here.

Posted by: mauree | February 25, 2009 6:41 PM

No worries brother. Besides, if I had a nickel for every "Bag Schultz" comment uttered over the course of the season (despite the numbers which bear his play out, numbers done WITHOUT Green for chunks of the year), I'd have at least seven or eight bucks.

Posted by: Section117 | February 25, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

This team is young, dumb, and full of ... potential. Which is an absolutely terrific position to be in, and I for one trust Ted, GMGM, and BB to take advantage of that to keep us in contention for years to come. But there WILL be growing pains as we develop guys. We probably won't win the Cup this year...but we COULD. We have a reasonable shot. That is a long way from where we were the past many, many years. And so long as the brain trust doesn't pull a Hossa, and our players continue to mature and develop, and most of them realize their potential, with just a little bit of luck we will win multiple Cups in the coming years.

Posted by: Baildog | February 25, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

It does seem that on MOST goals that are scored against the Caps, It is a forward who has not picked up his man coming from the blue line (Brash last night on Hartnells goal, and the 3rd goal forgot the details), Schultz was to blame for #4, he let the guy skate across the crease. Backstrom does well with the back checking, but some of the other forwards need to step up and keep playing until their shift is over.

Posted by: Leeguru | February 25, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Just read on HockeyBuzz that the Caps are interested in Pahlson, a center from Anaheim.

Eklund is such an idiot. We have centers coming out of our ears. He'll print anything.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 25, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow saintex ... why Brashear so low? Best fighter in the biz and has excellent chemistry with the rest of the bench. Gotta have an enforcer in the mix...

Posted by: reddog278 | February 25, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

One physical defenseman: Erskine. That should some it up. Schultz will be very good eventually. He's sound, very young, and is sticking with the team. Not many 22 year olds get that chance or live up to it. The jury is out for a few more years.

Did anyone see Eminger's goal, the one that made last weeks top 10? He seems to be coming of age.

Posted by: oo7 | February 25, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Did you see that highlight where some one deked him out of his cup and scored. Same game, same highlight package I think.

But You are right about the D. I am fine with keeping Shultz. But he should be getting #5-6 minutes, not top four. Erskine is the only physical dman we have and he loses his control sometimes and ends up taking stupid penalties.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 25, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

ha! I just saw that play, watingsince75! Still, he's putting up some points on a crap team, a very crap team, and he's all of 25 years old. People around here were crucifying the guy for being a tool, and he's only 25 NOW. That tells me that there are a lot of clowns around here that need to shut up and learn about the sport before shooting off at the mouth and spewing nonsense. Schultz is not a top flight defenseman, but the only one that is, arguably, is Green. Poti is a number 3/4 on an elite team (nothing wrong with that). We're weak on the d side but its also because we have a bunch of young guys, with the only additions being Poti and Pothier. COme on, people. Beating this schutlz thing around is silly. He's a plus player, not plus 3, not plus 5, plus 17. Yes, Ovie, Green, Semin, etc. Still, plus 17. He's 6'6" and 22. Throwing him under the bus is not only premature, its immature.

Do we have a good enough D to win the cup? no. Are we that far away? no. But Alzner is not the answer. He looks uncertain at times, makes some rookie blunders and needs more time to develop. Could he do it on the Caps? Sure, last year or the year before. The thing is, over a fulll season, how long will it take for the arm chair geniuses around here to ship him out of town?

Posted by: oo7 | February 25, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and i took a look at this link that someone posted earlier: http://knowways.com/?p=254

WHy does Crosby look like he's posing for playgirl?
But you know what was just as bad? That picture of Laich on the bog with his hood up. yikes.

Posted by: oo7 | February 25, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Bears at Binghamtom tonight. Bears lead 4-3 at the end of the 1st period. Bears goals by Aucoin, A.Gordon, Wilson and Giroux. Machesney started in goal, yanked with about a minute left in the period. My guess is he'll be back for the second, just needed a break to calm down after Bingo scored two goals about 12 seconds apart.
Listen live at www.sportsjuice.com

Posted by: tess2201 | February 25, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Bears game into the 2nd period. Machesney still on the bench, Kris Mayotte in goal. Thank goodness word came this week that Varly is practicing again. We need either him or Neuvirth if Machesney is going to be inconsistent.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 25, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I know that I am guilty of being swept away by the great plays and great games and great atmosphere and the hype, and want to win it all RIGHT NOW! But the truth is this is a really young team, heading into only their second playoffs ever. Schultz turned 23 today! Backstrom is in his second year, not his fifth.
Sorry for the guy moving to St Louis, but we could be looking at 2 or 3-peat of parades in the next few years. They play immaturely at times because they're immature. If Feds and (gasp) Nylander provide some leadership now that we don't see, maybe that's ok in the long run.

(be nice to see some of it, though eh?)

Posted by: bluejeener1 | February 25, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201: I'm listening as well - 2 big PK's back to back. They need to stay out of the box and cut their PK'ers a break .... and we're on the PP.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

@tess: Unfortunately, Neuvirth is probably up in Washington for the balance of the regular season. Johnson probably will be ready for the second round of the playoffs, last I heard. Varlamov skating again is a huge relief and was a stroke of good news.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Kitty:
I figure either Neuvirth OR Varlamov will be backing up Theo. If Varly comes back strong they may call him up to DC and send Michal back to us. I think if Varly would have been healthy he would have gotten the call to DC before Neuvirth. Either way, we need help going into the playoffs. Cheeser is unreliable and this kid Mayotte is basically an ECHLer.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 25, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of keepers, I'm reading THN and they have a bit about Varlamov. It's a piece about up-and-comes and lists him 3rd in the article, but 12th overall for future NHL goalies. They are predicting 20-30 NHL games for him next season.

Also, they are calling for an offensive Dman award for Green, saying that he will not and should not get the Norris. *Bracing myself* I hate to say it, but I have to agree. *Assuming the crash position*

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 25, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

tess: I'm not so sure - Bruce has a habit of calling everybody under the sun up to see what he's got. He might have taken Neuvirth anyway. Who knows the mind of Bruce?

But yes, one of the two will be backing up Theo and the other will carry Hershey into the playoffs. Good experience for both of them. I would like to see Neuvirth start another couple of games to see what he's got.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Oops ... up-and-comeRs

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 25, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

for the past 10 years the norris trophy doesnt mean the best defensive defenseman.

i see no reason why green shouldn't get the norris.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 25, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Awww, you don't like talking about hockey players being up and comes, Boo? ;)

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Phil:
"The James Norris Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position."
Green is the best offensive defenseman, no doubt. However, he is not the best (or even one of the best) defensive defensemen ... yet. Given that, I don't think he should get it THIS year.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 25, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

i think he should.

i know the definition of the norris, im just saying, that is has traditionally been given to defensively minded defenseman, up until recently when it has been given out to anyone.

i think green deserves it, especially over a chara or lidstrom this year.
maybe keith up in CHI should get it, but lidstrom and chara i dont think deserve it this year.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 25, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz:
I wouldn't mind if I knew what it meant ... :-/

Phil:
He just does not have "the greatest all-round ability" (IMHO). Not sure who I think should win, but I am pretty sure it should not be him, unless he turns his defensive game around yet this season (literally - he could start by working on his backward skating).

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 25, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

@Boo: I was being momentarily raunchy and thinking happy nasty thoughts about hockey players. Don't mind me.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

OK people ... where's my flogging?!? If I knew that posting controversial statements was this easy, I would have done it more often.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 25, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

007 - Eminger had plenty of chances here. I never understood why he struggled so much. And I agree with you that we need to give guys like Shultz time to develop. But we selected Carlson with the pick we got for Eminger. He is absolutely going to be a beast. Carlson has been a game changer this year in juniors.

Eminger never was strong on D. I don't miss him and don't see how he could make this team now. Gonchar on the other hand...

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 25, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

kitty:
I don't know what that means and I am not sure that I want to know.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 25, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

@Boo: If you still don't know, you don't want to :)

Bears go to overtime, 5-all. Kris Mayotte in goal again, looks much like Saturday night. Helmer takes a high-stick penalty leaving the Bears on the PK in overtime.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

...and Bears go to the shootout. This is unbelievable to listen to. Kris Mayotte's first shootout. He's been solid as a rock in that goal tonight and come up with some dynamite saves.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I think the 'dumb penalty disease' that has infected the Caps recently has spread to Hershey.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 25, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201: You noticed that too? Man, that disease needs to run its course and just go away.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, 8-O Wow, I'm impressed with the depths your mind went with that one. Even my mind just put in the missing "r".
Boo, I'm with you, I just don't see Green winning it. His O doesn't make up for his D.
PS, I'm sorry Bears. I forgot what happens when I start to listen in mid-game.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 25, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

...Bears lose in the shootout.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

@jmu: Mine did too until she called attention to it :) And then I thought about it.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, lol! Oh man.
So Day 1 of Lent is almost over and I'm doing well. I only had two negative Crosby thoughts and I suppressed them.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 25, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

While listening to the Bears I'm also watching the Pens/Islanders. Score was 0-0 late in the 3rd till Petr Sykora just scored for the Pens. And he jumped up against the glass a la Ovechkin. Wonder what Sid will have to say about that 'showmanship'?

Posted by: tess2201 | February 25, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

@jm: LOL. A friend of mine tells me that his friend who's in seminary said that you're actually supposed to indulge in the thing you gave up for Lent on Sundays, in honor of the Resurrection. It's actually supposedly a sin not to. I don't know how true that is, but it's interesting.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Kitty, when I was a kid I remember being told that Sundays don't count as part of Lent, so if you gave up something like candy it was ok to indulge on a Sunday.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 25, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, hmmmmmmm Interesting. I don't think I've heard that.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 25, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

jmu: do the math. Lent is supposed to be 40 days. Count the days from Ash Wed to Easter, subtract the Sundays, you get 40 days. So it's ok to say nasty things about Sid on Sundays.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 25, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

*shrugs* I have no idea, it's just what I've heard. I'm not a practicing Christian and haven't been in close to a decade, so it's a largely academic discussion for me.

For what it's worth, a discussion of Lent and Sundays: here. Take it how you will.

Back to hockey - it is absolutely freaky how much alike and how closely linked the Bears and the Caps are. It's positively eerie. Now ... how do we get both of them to stay out of the penalty box?

Posted by: kittypawz | February 25, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl:
do you think the scarlet site has crysby shade of lipstick?
just trying to help you out - if you can get all the way past day 1, you are well on your way to meeting you commitments

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 25, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl:
if you choose to indulge on sundays - i can double my efforts during the week. if not, i guess i'll just have to triple them then. let me know - i'm there for you

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 25, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Just reminiscing a little, but what ever happen to Gorodon's nickname "muffins"

Posted by: superpaqman | February 25, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

tess, haha, sweet! Although I think in the spirit of why I gave it up, I'm going to try an continue.
kittypawz, I'm with you. Its kinda creepy. However, if little Gus starts getting into penalty trouble, then its gone too far.
Capt_Kirk, Now, I'm not sure what shade "crysby" is. However, I don't think they sell lipstick. Ugly clothes designed by Alyssa Milano, yes. Lipstick, no.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 25, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Whoever is out of the lineup at any given moment is Boudreau's favorite player, ever notice how he raved about Erskine before he got back in the lineup, now its Kozlov who is the missing piece.

Looking at his comments yesterday he was moaning about penalties and how he's finally going to address it by possibly benching the biggest offenders. Thats a joke becauase no way does he bench Semin who is by far the king of dumb penalties especially on the PK. Semin does more dumb things (and good things) on the PK than any player out there. He's either stealing pucks or giving them away or putting us further shorthanded. Bruce will never bench him for anything and he'll never take him off the PK. A lot of the Caps problems are selfcreated based on decisions their own coach makes. If he'd played Kronwall instead of the pylon known as Schultz, there is no way the Flyers score that 4th goal. Schultz is our worst defensemen on any given night.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 25, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Man I was a bit chatty today. Work's been...work I guess. I'll try to keep it down to a couple of tight comments after the inevitable next loss. Hope it's far far away :)

Posted by: austinsteve | February 25, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

@waitingsince75
don't misunderstand me, I'm merely noting emingers highlight play. I was surprised. Still he's only 25, young by D standards.
Why not have an offensive d, a s@h d and overall d(Norris) award?

Posted by: oo7 | February 25, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

So I have to confess to having major love for Ty Conklin. I'm not sure when it started or when it will end, but if somebody slips something in the water in Detroit and they send him here, I will not be upset. He's awesome.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 25, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Big fan of Koz.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 25, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear Kozlov's going to be back tomorrow; that is just plain awesome! :-) Can't wait to watch him play again.

Posted by: irockthered | February 26, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

so, which players showed up to the cocktail party? Now I am interested :)

JMU, hopefully you follow the indulging in what you gave up for lent on Sundays....We play Pittsburgh next in another Sunday game....

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 26, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Cocktail party was pretty awesome. Backstrom, Fehr, Kronwall, Steckel, Jurcina, and Neuvirth were there. Got a chance to talk with Fehr and Kronwall after most of the lines had died down... they're both super nice.

Posted by: FedorovCrunch | February 26, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

The_Stanley_Caps, hmmmmm, Maybe since its just this once. And it just happens to be on a Sunday. lol

FedorovCrunch, Forgot that was tonight. Bummed I had class, but I'm glad you had fun!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 26, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Theo needs some rest. Either he sits today and plays back to back on the weekend, or he starts tonight and Saturday and rest Sunday.

I prefer Neuvirth starts tonight and ride Theo on the weekend.

Neuvirth was impressive - maybe even more than Varlamov.

Posted by: mauree | February 26, 2009 3:43 AM | Report abuse