Boudreau on Nyls: 'Michael wasn't going to be a good fit' (updated)

I haven't received word on whether or not Michael Nylander has cleared waivers. But this much is pretty certain at this point: It doesn't seem that No. 92 will be returning to Washington.

"We just thought it wasn't a good fit," Coach Bruce Boudreau said when asked why Nylander did not skate today. "Without going into to too much detail, this year's team, we just didn't feel was a good fit for Mike. If he gets picked up, great for him. If not, we'll worry about that [later]."

"Anything is possible," Boudreau added. "As far as when we were doing things this year, looking at the roster, we just felt Michael wasn't going to be a good fit for our team."

So he's not coming back?

"I don't think so," Boudreau said.

GM George McPhee is expected to speak to reporters this afternoon.

Updated: Nylander has cleared waivers.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 9, 2009; 12:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin joins practice
Next: Video of Ovechkin skating, shooting

Comments

ohh, can;t wait fro GMGM later...

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 9, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Man I can't type today. Is it Monday or something..?

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 9, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Great...I just hope this gets resolved soon....I just think if we are stuck paying him we should play him at some point....

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | November 9, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

hbcapsfan:
you can make up your own statement about nyls - it will probably be more informative than anything GMGM will tell the press. even with that - i hope GMGM sheds some light on what happened and what is really in the works

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 9, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

according to hockeybuzz he cleared waivers.

Posted by: samb99 | November 9, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Since he clears waivers, does this get him off the cap? Can they like send him to Hershey but (wink, wink) he doesn't have to report or play so he gets paid salary but no cap hit?

And how did they get him to do this?

Maybe the answer was easy - "Mike, you accept this now, and we'll pay you this year and next. You don't do this and we'll send you down next year (no nore NMC) and MAKE you play or retire and give up money."

There's a rock and a hard place for every person.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 9, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

it's great that this situation is finally getting resolved. One thing that I think that would have been appropriate (and justified) is if Bruce would acknowledge Nyls' contributions over the past few years and his skill as a player. He is a great player and, yes, he's not a good fit, but that doesn't mean he's not an excellent player that can "fit" somewhere else (Detroit's trap offense comes to mind).

Needless to say, I don't think any player over the age of 30 will have a NMC approved for a long time to come.

Posted by: fronesis1016 | November 9, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

will the GMGM press conference be broadcast live or will i have to read the transcript with my own internal monologue set to "Undertaker on quaaludes after watching his puppy get run over by a hearse"?

when ernie grunfeld is your towns most dynamic sports GM, that can make for some boring talk.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 9, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I hope Tarik or someone else sheds some life on where we go from here. I get the reverse waivers part...but am curious if there are any other scenarios...like him going tot Hershey or something like that. I haven't heard any rumors about the KHL anymore...man...whats going down...GMGM wont solve the riddle for me...

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | November 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

And how did they get him to do this?

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 9, 2009 12:24 PM |

He can choose to not report, and then his contract is voided. Maybe it's the Caps/Nyls plan all along, but you'd think the NHLPA would crack down hard if something like this happened.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 9, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 9, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Some clarification on this would be great. I'm assuming that he would have to agree to be assigned to Hershey, or agree to be loaned to another club, given his NMC. So in effect, agreeing to be put on waivers was/is separate from agreeing to being assigned.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 9, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I hardly doubt Nyl's will be playing in Hershey. Technically, it's an option, but he can just refuse to report and then sign a KHL contract or something.

Just based on what he's been saying and such, I don't think Nylander wants to play for an AHL team.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 9, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure exactly how the reverse waivers works. Caps were able to send Aucoin through waivers to Hershey before the season began but recall him two weeks later w/o having to use the RW. Then we read how Aucoin was sent back down after playing 8 games (w/o waivers) because he would have had to go through waivers again if he played ten NHL games before being sent down.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 9, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 9, 2009 12:29 PM |

Correct. Being put on waivers does not necessarily mean you are being moved down/to a different team.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 9, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Someone correct this if it is wrong. If a player were claimed off waivers-the original team can reclaim the player without letting the player go through waivers.

I think the above is correct. If Nyls, cleared waivers there is no interest in signing him at his contract by a NHL team, unless a team wants to claim Nyls on re-entry waivers at half price. I think he is either gone by default or off to Europe. Tough way to end an almost point a game career in the NHL.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 9, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

This all reminds me of the mound meeting in Bull Durham, "We're dealing with some heavy ish here."

Confusing.

Posted by: saintex | November 9, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Is the fact that he could be claimed to another team, wouldln't he have had to waive his NMC to be put on waivers? My logic states that that would be considered a "Move".

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 9, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Please, Tarik, get us some definitive info from GMGM. We're dying out here!
1. What is Nyls current status?
2. What are the planned next steps re Nyls?
3. What are the salary cap ramifications of the available options?
4. What are the team's priorities if cap room is cleared?

I understand that GMGM isn't going to divulge anything that could help a competitor, but there must be more info out there than what we have now.

Posted by: zmega | November 9, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

the whole thing was mishandled by the Caps from the getgo.. they have been unprofessional.

every team makes mistakes on free agency... when you do, you just have to make the best of the situation.

if I were a free agent, I would think twice about signing with the Caps unless I had no better options... because if things don't work out, are they gonna treat me like they treated Nyls??

Posted by: joek443 | November 9, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

They "Won't be seeing him no more" nonsense is kind of pathetic. So, if they don't trade him or don't assingn him to Europe or the AHL, then what?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 9, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

perhaps package Nyls with some youngsters and a draft pick and trade to someone else??

Posted by: doughless | November 9, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Richmond Phil, I don't think they can assign him unless he completely waived the NMC. Maybe he consented to movement via waivers, but if they try to assign him and he says no, I don't think they can void the contract unless he completely waived the NMC.

I actually think Nyls is totally in his rights to stick to his guns on the NMC. I'm hoping there's an amicable resolution, but if not, point the fingers at GMGM.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 9, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 9, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

That's correct. He agreed to be put on waivers. By doing so, he conceded to playing for any NHL team, as he wouldn't be able to control which NHL team might claim him.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 9, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Where is ChickenLittle when you need him?

Posted by: PhilR | November 9, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

OH NO - PhilR is concerned that ChickenLittle is not around to make inane comments....OH NO

Posted by: doughless | November 9, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

When it comes down to it, what exactly did Nylander do to make GMGM and BB dislike him so much? I mean sure he skated in alot of circles, etc... but they've stayed with players who do worse things. I mean what did he do that pissed them off so much?

Posted by: kcbrichmond | November 9, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Why is Nyles been predetermined to not be a good fit before he's even allowed to step on the ice this year in a game situation? I thought players play there way on and off a roster through their current performance on the ice during games. At least that's waht the Caps management has always stated in the past. Training camp is an open try out for jobs. I have lost erespect for the Caps on this whole issue. Maybe it's really part of a larger issue or agenda like clearing payroll to sign emerging young stars on the roster and not really related to on ice performance as much as the Caps want us to believe.

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 9, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | November 9, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

look at the redskins. If any team mismanages their own players including their FAs the way that team does, and still manages to attract FAs, then the Caps situation w/Nylander won't matter to any prospective FA.
The Redskins situation with Adam Archuleta was identical to the Nylander situation in that both were signed to big contracts and both fell out of favor and were restricted from playing at some point.

Now maybe the worst case scenario is the Caps will have to overpay for a FA which we know McPhee is loathe to do anyway.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 9, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have Ted's email address handy?

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 9, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I wish the DC sports media would ask the tough questions to get to the real story rather than be so soft and amiable all the time. Skins coverage not included of course. If this is really going to be a hockey town, then the team needs real coverage.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 9, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I think the local media who covers the Caps have either been brow beaten into submission or they are afraid to experience it when asking the tuff questions. We do need a Dan Stienberg reporter who covers the Caps when issues arise like poor ice, the busted steroid dealer who claimed the Caps were his clients and the Nylander situation. Someone who actulaay presses the issue to get facts as opposed to letting the team off with no accountability or sweeping issues under the rug that project a negative light on the team.

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 9, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

WHAT ON EARTH DID NYLS DO??? There HAS to be more to this story doesn't there?

Posted by: welcome2theiceage | November 9, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Lets just say there is something about his being a switch hitter.

Posted by: srobert1117 | November 9, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Just watched video McPhee addressing the media on the Caps' website. He does not want to give any info about the Nylander situation today. He told the press he would address & answer questions about it tomorrow. I guess they are waiting for something to happen today or tonight.

Posted by: BDTerp | November 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse