Boudreau on Ovechkin: 'Alex was the only choice'

Some postgame quotes on Alex Ovechkin being named captain:

Coach Bruce Boudreau:

I know [the players] were really happy when I told them this morning. This doesn't happen too often, but the group got up and cheered. I had talked to a lot of them in the last couple days and they said that Alex was the only choice; he's our leader, he's our guy.

I think the thing that really sort of shows how ready he was, when I talked to him a few days ago, he said, 'I would gladly accept the responsibility, but only if my teammates want me to.' ... So, he was already thinking about the team rather than thinking about himself, which is what good captains do.

Tom Poti:

It's awesome. We're very glad that they picked him. He's been the face of the franchise for a long time and it's well deserved and well earned.

Alex Ovechkin

We have lots of guys that can speak up, but if I need to say something, I'm going to say something. I'm just going to show it on the ice, and if they need someone to help them, I will.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 5, 2010; 10:40 PM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Alex Ovechkin puts on the captain's 'C'
Next: Steckel signs extension

Comments

Carlson scores the game winner for USA!

Posted by: elicea | January 5, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Carlson baby! USA USA USA!

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 5, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Go Carlson!!!

Posted by: capscoach | January 5, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Got him with the no look shot. O

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 5, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

DID A FUTURE CAP JUST WIN THE USA ITS 2ND WORLD JRS CHAMPIONSHIP!?!?!

WHAT A NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 5, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Go Carlson!!!

Posted by: capscoach | January 5, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Great for Carlson!! Incredible win for USA.

Also good win for Caps tonight. Congrats to Alex on the "C"!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 5, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Yes congrats to the caps for getting out of the funk, congrats to OV Also!

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 5, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Great night for Hockey

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | January 5, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

On The Fly might just be getting MAX viewership from my zip code tonight

WHEW!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 5, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr....

Future Cap....the guy has already played three games and the funny thing all against Canadian teams....

Good times...

Posted by: rdiehljr | January 5, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Word from Tarik's twitter is that Stecks has signed an extension.

Posted by: elicea | January 5, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

What a night!

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 5, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Phenominal shot by Carlson! His 2nd goal of the game to win it for the US in OT!

Not sure if all of you heard or not but Smokin Al Koken reported that GMGM just returned from the tourney and in GMGM's words, "I've never returned from the tourney so happy with all of our prospects. They are all very good and will be playing here soon"! Way to go fellas!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | January 5, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Carlson scored the game WINNER in each of the USA's final games.

I was happy to witness them both.

I look forward to seeing this Carlson as a ROOKIE!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 5, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Ovi on becoming Captain. You will wear it well!

Good win tonight. It was a night for getting the monkey of the back, from Semin, Flash, and Fehr scoring to the team stopping the slide getting two points. Whew!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 5, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I think the Caps have just found their second point-man on the PPs...

Posted by: joek443 | January 5, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

john carlson... golden goal.

Posted by: samb99 | January 5, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | January 5, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Ovi on becoming Captain. You will wear it well!

Good win tonight. It was a night for getting the monkey of their backs!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 5, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Congrats USA! OV! Caps! Carlson! oh what a night!!!!

Posted by: Andoy | January 5, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 5, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | January 5, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Was there anybody else? Cograts Alex!

Posted by: croftonpost | January 6, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse