Boudreau on Ovechkin: 'He's pretty reckless'

Bruce Boudreau said he plans to talk to Alex Ovechkin about playing "pretty reckless" and perhaps even toning down his aggressiveness. Moment later, though, the coach said he doubts such a conversation would have any effect on his star player.

Here's the majority of Boudreau's press conference after this morning's practice:

Q: Surprised that Alex skated this morning?
A: It's a lot better than I thought it would be. It goes to show how strong he is.

Q: Do you know if he's going to miss any time?
A: I have no idea. He's still pretty tender. So we'll see.

Q: Will you err on the side of caution and hold him out at least a game?
A: It's such a tough call with Alex. It would definitely be a 'let's sit down and talk to George [McPhee] and everybody' before we make that decision."

Q:Did Alex have an MRI or X-Ray today?
A: I'm not going to say whether he did or whether he didn't [or] what the doctor said. We're going to keep that between [the team].

Q: Would you be surprised if he played Thursday?
A: Nothing is impossible for him. It wouldn't surprise me, but I think we'll know more in 24 hours. Another day off and seeing what practice brings tomorrow will be a big indicator.

Q: Are you worried about a suspension?
A: I guess in the back of your mind, you're always worried about it. But it's something I can't control. [NHL VP Colin Campbell] is going to take care of that and we'll see what his thoughts are.

Q: Does he need to change the way he plays?
A: He's pretty reckless. It's hard telling a guy that scores 60 goals a year to change the way he plays. At the same time, I don't want to see him getting hurt. Maybe he has to pick his spots a little better. ...

You're lining guys up a lot of times and going to hit them, and once they move, everything gets exposed. Human nature is to react; if you've got a bead on them, if you're a hockey player, is to continue to try to hit him. It's something that has to be addressed by us, I guess.

Q: He told us he doesn't want to change. So will that be a touchy conversation?
A: As a coach, and someone who admires him, I just don't want to see him put himself in harm's way. So we'll see. I don't think anything said is going to change the way he plays. Who knows?

Q: Does he have a hearing set with Campbell for later today?
A: I don't know.

Q: He has a tendency to get angry when you ask him questions about letting up, saying things like, "Nobody is going to kill me." Are you worried about him saying that?
A: No. Alex plays hard, all the time. I don't think there's a malicious bone of him trying to hurt anybody. He just plays hard and plays to win every shift. It's a really fine line between taking that away from him other than talking to him and saying, 'We don't want to put you in that situation anymore.' But when he gets out there, he just wants to win so badly, he does anything he can to help the team succeed.

Q: If there is going to be disciplinary action, do you expect it today?
A: I would think. It usually is the next day. I would think, since we play in two days, that if they were going to do something they would do it today.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 1, 2009; 1:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin 'day to day' with sore knee
Next: Ovechkin suspended two games

Comments

Still keeping my fingers crossed...

Posted by: uncatim | December 1, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Ovie's a wild man. I just worry about him getting injured and other teams taking him out dirty.

Posted by: ridgely1 | December 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I would hope that picking his spots would come with maturity. One hit can break a career - it never makes a career

Posted by: ccape1 | December 1, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Ted, GMGM and BB all should sit down with Ovie and show him the career highlight tape of one Cam Neely

and make him understand that if he doesn't tone it down, he will have a short career just like that of Bam-Bam Cam

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

from a prior thread

Tom,

And which Columbus player got a major + 10? None. There was a 2min minor doled out. Their running Ov was done within the rules aside from the roughing penalty. Hitchcock's guys did what every other team tries to do: hit the other teams stars whenever possible and get them off their game. There is nothing wrong with that unless you cross the line with: boarding, charging, kneeing, etc.

Ov ran Malkin last season every chance he had (until they made up at the ASG). Wasn't penalized. Should he have been? Using your logic he should have been suspended.

What else ya got?

Posted by: Steve_R

Posted by: Steve_R | December 1, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

You and me both, UncaTim. You and me both.

Love Boudreau; he's gotta sit Alex down and tell him to be careful with himself, though. Hate to see the boy learn the hard way...

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

As a parent, I understand all the calls for him to tone it down. Its basic caring. But as a former 20yr old... I also remember that nothing I did was going to kill me. I was invincible. Heck, at 45 I still feel that way until my back and knee gang up on me and tell me to sit down, grandpa. He won't change now because its not in him to do so. He will mature, He will grow, and in some ways his game will too. I just hope he makes it in one piece.

Posted by: jdhoover | December 1, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Lets see how this all plays out....

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Please folks, OV is OV. He's not gonna change the way he plays and nor should he. He's a physical power forward and that will not change. This is like asking Pavel Bure to slow down a little because if he keeps stopping really fast his ankles won't last. He's played this way his whole life and has been relatively injury free. If he starts playing tentative that's when he'll really get hurt.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | December 1, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Damn, I'm having trouble keeping up with Tarik today. Take that all you "reporters need to dig" people!

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdhoover | December 1, 2009 1:11 PM |

We just don't want him to go the way of Neely, Forsberg, Lindros, etc..

Getting their career cut short due to something entirely positive; their desire to not tone down their game despite their aging body.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Steve R: I will stand by what I said earlier. As Boudreau said, Ovi lined him up and then Gleason moved and "everything got exposed." How do you judge if you attempt a hit that would have been legal except the other player "turned into it" and made it illegal at the last second?

I have posted that I'm not blaming Gleason, he was trying to keep from being creamed. But, he wasn't hurt, Ovi was, that should be enough "deterrent" to accomplish what a suspension is supposed to do.

I believe BB said what I said, which is Ovi should turn it down from Warp 10 to Warp 9 for his good.

Captain Kirk: Can you give the order?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

OV is one of the best players in the NHL, but like a fine wine his game needs to mature and I think this is one of the areas where it could use it. Bouds and GMGM need to coach on this one.

Posted by: doughless | December 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | December 1, 2009 1:13 PM |

Bure was probably a bad example.

Another guy who had a few good years cut short due to injury. And it was is knee, if I recall correctly.

It's Forsberg's #1 criticism. Why would he keep playing such a hard-nosed game like that even though it's killing his body? Well ask Peter now..do you think he's happy about that decision, and now is unable to play at the NHL level due to those injuries?

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:14 PM

I think that ultimately this IS positive. Pain is natures way of convincing you to do something else. Maybe small doses - a sprained shoulder here, a knee there, is just what a hard headed, invincible, Russian machine needs to grow. Or at least learn.

But I agree that the hope is not to be career ending too soon.

Posted by: jdhoover | December 1, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

The NHL is getting a little silly with the secrecy on injuries. Fine if they don't want to give details on specifics of where or how someone got hurt or how long someone will be out. But they won't even say if he had an MRI or X-Ray? I hope they did an MRI. There have been plenty of cases where something doesn't feel too bad to the player and they don't do an MRI. Then the player goes out and practices or plays and does more serious damage.

Posted by: thrh1 | December 1, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I am pleased with Ovie's condition and hope it doesn't worsen over the next couple of days. I do think a suspension may do him some good. Ovie does want to win and do everything and anything he can. I believe he is the best player in the league and the world, but I think he needs to choose his spots as far as his physicality. He needs to remember he can't help the team in the penalty box or in the press box hurt or suspended. Ovie probably won't change and I know it is difficult to do so when he has played the same way throughout his career. Sometimes I cringe when I see him skate through another player. His track record is muddied a bit, but the hits on Briere and Gonchar weren't good. The Kaleta hit last week I thought was overblown especially when Kaleta got hit from the side.

I would not be surprised to see him get 5 games from Colin Campbell as a reality check on some of his play. I hope he gets better soon and comes back ready to take the scoring title. Get well soon, Ovie.

Posted by: robostop10 | December 1, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin's overall play is what separates him from Crosby, Lemieux, Pavel Bure, Jagr, et. al. who merely tried to score without any regard for defense or any other aspect of the game. While I agree he appears 'reckless' at times, that's one of many things that make him the player he is.

Posted by: raymitten | December 1, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@thrh1

They are only saying that because they are waiting for Ovi's conference with Czar Campbell, and his decision. Believe me, they know perfectly well what's wrong with him right now.

@hoovers

I agree, a nick or two here or there is probably good for a player, but the past doesn't lie. Superstars careers have ended early due to injuries...I'd rather see Ovie retire when he wants, 40, maybe 41. Perfectly healthy for his family.. You know?

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: raymitten | December 1, 2009 1:21 PM |

Crosby and possibly Lemiuex play a much better two-way game than Ovi.

He hits a lot, but he hardly works in three zones during the regular season. That said, Ovi can seemingly flick on his two-way play like a switch, and play solid in the playoffs.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I think too that we are not giving Alex enough credit. Its HIS body. He'll apply the lessons as he plays. Little by little. I remember watching a show on Kareem abdul Jabbar. As a youngster he ran up and down the court. Banged with everyone. Later on, he slowed it down because in part he had to. But also because he learned he didn't need to do the rest. Even earned him a memorable quote in "Airplane!'

Posted by: jdhoover | December 1, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Cam Neely

GP 726 G 395 A 299 PTS 694 PIM 1241

Inducted to the HOF in 2005

Neely was Ovie before there was Ovie - the only differences were Neely could fight with the best of them and Ovie is a better skater/puck handler than Neely. And Ovie is a LW and Neely was a RW, other than that they were the same type wingers.

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Neely was a pretty good stickhandler though, despite never getting credit for it. Those spin backhanders..whoo.

Neely kept banging up that knee and good ol Ulffy finally laid it to rest.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

It has been mentioned but is worth repeating that Ovi is young. He is only 24 years old. When you are that age you think nothing can stop you. You have not limits and would run head first into a brick wall if you thought you could break thru it.

As an example, when I was in my early 20s I would drink all night and still get up for work in the morning. As I got older I found out that I could not keep doing that. People older and wiser then me tried to tell me that would happen but I didn't want to listen.

I agree that BB and GMGM need to say something but I would not expect much from it just yet. Give Ovi a couple more years and trust me he will learn how to better control himself.

Don't forget that NHL players hit their prime in their late 20s. That's not to say that they score the most goals then or they have their highest point totals but that they truly understand the game and how to play and, most importantly, win.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 1, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

What's the rule regarding injured players and suspensions. If Ovi gets suspended for two games, its my understanding that he would have to wait until he can play to serve the suspension. But, what's to prevent the caps from saying he's ready for Thursdays game, even if he isn't, so that they can count that game towards serving the suspension?

Posted by: hook99 | December 1, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I think the team owes it to us to tell us what's wrong. Everybody knows its his right knee, so if the opponents are going to target him, they already know where to go after, regardless of the severity. Yes, I said "owe." Do you know how much my 'center preferred' tickets have set me back over the last 4 seasons? Now tell me what's up w Ovie's knee!!!!

Posted by: griz0615 | December 1, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Now tell me what's up w Ovie's knee!!!!

Posted by: griz0615 | December 1, 2009 1:32 PM |

Again, nothing is going to happen until they meet with Campbell.

calm down.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Also, just thought of this (althought it depends on the rules regarding injuries and suspensions)

What if they are downplaying Ovi's injury right now and not putting him on IR while they wait for Campbell's decision. Then they use the suspension (I am assuming he gets something) for his rehab so that he doesn't have to miss time for BOTH the injury and the suspension.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 1, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

hook99: I don't think he needs to be "ready to play." I'm not sure though. I think if he's on the roster, he just misses the next whatever games - whether he can really play of not.

"Coach Boudreau, this is Colin Campbell. We'd like to suspend Ovechkin, but first you need to tell us if he can play."

I don't think that's a conversation that can ever exist.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: griz0615 | December 1, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------
Like everything else, in due time. They're obviously awaiting Campbell's ruling, and rightly so IMO

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Damn it hook99, you stole my thunder.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 1, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: griz0615

Hmmm. Caused me to have a flashback to College Law.

Given - Tickets purchased by fans constitute a contract.

Defend - Said contract constitutes a "warranty" and implies disposition of defects to the buyer. Does player injury constitute a defect in the product?

Discuss and present a 200 page defense by Monday.

I hated that class...

Posted by: jdhoover | December 1, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@tom

I am pretty sure he is right though. Although the suspension will be given out either way, with no regard really to if he's injured, it won't be applied until Ovi is listed on the roster for 2 games.

At least this is what I picked up last night, could be wrong though.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I just looked at the picture on Puck Daddy and while it does look bad it really is Ovi just cutting back to throw the shoulder. When you are skating and your are turning hard one way then that's what your body looks like. He wasn't throwing his knee out but rather gearing up to lay a big hit.

If you watch the video in slow motion you can see him turning his body so that he could put his right shoulder into Gleason's chest.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

^This is assuming a 2-game suspension.

If he's not suspended (hopefully), we won't even have to worry about it. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Cam Neely's career was curtailed by a hit put on him by Ulf Samuelson. Neely never really recovered from that hit and played in only half the games for the next 4 years before eventually retiring. So whether Neely "toned it down" or not would have had no effect on how his career was cut short. Just because you're a physical hockey player it doesn't mean that your career will end sooner than later. Look at Gary Roberts, Rick Tocchet, Tkachuk etc.

In some ways if you're an intimidating presence you take less abuse out there.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Im a little more relieved hearing him talk about his injury and saying it isnt that sore. Yah they wont say whats wrong with him but thats to protect him and other players as well so that isnt gonna change. But all this speculation whether he really had an MRI, come on you think Ted would let his 100 million dollar man skip that kind of test after what happened, i guarantee he had one first thing this morning. Plus its getting kind of old hearing people say how dirty he is and "oh Cindy and Gino wouldnt play like that" or oh "he goes after people like gleason, and kuleta, and richards" If im not mistaken, did anyone see how kuleta layed that kid out the very next game, dont feel sorry for him. Cindy doesnt play that way because he's "NHL's chosen one." And crosby isnt to bright either come to mention it. I remember when he tried to stop himself from sliding skate first into the boards with his blade, and was out for a month with a sprained ankle, i mean thats a fundamental they teach from day one. Hes a punk, and cries about everything that doesnt go his way, and thats true. (remember last year in the playoffs for OVI's VZ Center hat trick, how cindy cried to the ref to get people to stop throwin hats) i mean come on, crosby has no class when he's losing, and thats the truth, every other hockey fan in the U.S. at least outside of Pitt can agree on that. So lets stop saying how much better these guys are than OVI becuz they dont hit anybody, cuz if you never really try to be physical than of course nothing like this will happen.

Posted by: CapsBoy52 | December 1, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

In some ways if you're an intimidating presence you take less abuse out there.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 1:46 PM

It goes both ways.

I don't think none of the guys you mentioned kept a pace of 300 hits into their 30s. We aren't asking him to change his game.

BTW, I love Gary Roberts. Sad to see him retire.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Tom -- I should have been more clear - it's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that games that occur while a player is on ST or LT IR do not count towards a suspension.

Posted by: hook99 | December 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@pkendrick - I also noted on PuckDaddy's blog that the photo was specifically chosen because it showed the worst possible angle on the hit. That image did NOT show the whole truth of what happened. I'm not sure you *can* do so with a single still photo!

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

TominFl

-----------------------------------------

You want to cut Ovy a break because Gleason was lucky enough not to get hurt? That's a real leap. You penalize a player based on the potential injury he could have caused. What if Ovechkin swung his stick and broke it over someone's head and that person for whatever reason managed not to get seriously hurt but Ovy tore his own rotator cuff while swinging that stick ? Would that be enough of a deterrent to justify him not getting suspended?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone here is saying Crosby is better than Ovechkin. Someone commented on his two-way play and I said that Crosby plays a very good two-way game. Which he does. Ovi during the regular season? Not so much.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Duh ... he is picking his spots. The other guys don't want to see spots so they try to move out of the way ... only they leave their lower bodies all hanging out in front of Alex still ...

Boudreau with the party line "He's reckless ..." Really good coach. Tow the line. He's passionate and he plays like it. If only we could wake up some guys on our D and put a little of that passion back there on the blue line.

Posted by: cwiseman | December 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------

Like it or not, I think the resulting injury (or lack thereof) is a real factor in the determination of whether or not disciplinary action should be taken. As is the "aggresor's" history. Should it be? I don't think so. A dirty hit is a dirty hit and should be disciplined according to something pre-determined and documented. The problem with that is, like now, it's not always black and white. For someone like OV with multiple questionable hits, you HAVE to consider factors such as recidivism and resulting injury. As soon as the hit occured, I knew OV would be out for awhile even if he wasn't injured. It has to be done. Otherwise, he's surely a marked man and we will NEVER hear the end of it from the peanut gallery either.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I love Gary Roberts. Sad to see him retire.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I was a big Roberts fan especially when he played for Calgary. My aunt in Toronto knew his family for many yrs. Not too many players can come back from as many injuries as he had. Serious neck surgery, shattered thumb, surgery on both shoulders, broken leg etc etc. He was a pretty reckless player too. He did a number on Mike Ridley once at the end of a game in Calgary. Cut him in the face with his stick because he was sore about losing the game. Roberts was also I think the first player to score 50 and rack up over 200 PIMs in the same yr.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@griz

I think I pay around 40% in taxes. I'm pretty sure that I have little idea on where it goes. It could be going to fund some crazy military task force that can kill goats with their minds. Alex has a bruised knee, I'm pretty sure that's it.

Posted by: JSchon | December 1, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: No, I don't want Ovi to be cut a break. I don't think, as I've posted, that an open ice hit like that warrants a break. The league, however, does take player injury into account when deciding to suspend or not and the duration. One could create an argument that Gleason might have seen Ovi coming and turned to a point that OVI would get hurt.

Look, I'm just using the same legal shenanigans that get applied in real life courtrooms, all over this country, every day. Nobody can go inside Ovi's head or Gleason's. A stick over the head is clear intent to injure. Knee-on-knee when moving leg to hit the over leg is clear. Trying to cream someone in open ice (maybe legal) and then the player twists to help create the knee on knee - to me that's too far-fetched for suspension. This is so far different than Brashear elbowing an unknowing Bettis. And much less severe than the Laracque flagrant knee that was worth five games.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------

I agree Chad, that IS the way the league operates. Case in point the Bertuzzi incident. Comparatively, Bertuzzi's actions were not even probably top 50 in the NHL all time with regards to egregiousness. Off the top of my head I can think of about 20 worse actions just in the last 20 yrs. But they didn't result in a broken neck. So the league does take into acct the resulting injury when they dole out suspensions. The league probably overpenalizes the "action" if there is a resultant injury.

However in this case, since there was no serious injury to Gleason, you still have to look at the potential injury that could have been caused by a dangerous "action"

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

so much has been said, and the fact is that we'll never know the nature of the hit. the facts are that he is a spectacular player and he isn't going to change his game. honestly, who is going to change ovie? nobody.
I am glad Gleason wasn't hurt and that ovie is better than expected. praying and keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't get a suspension..GO CAPS!

Posted by: Bondra2Ovie | December 1, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------

an argument that no one in their right minds would ever buy including Ovy's own mother.

"Ovi is mostly guilty of being out of control. And he hurt himself more than the other guy. As I've said, you don't suspend a guy to protect him from himself."

---------------------------------------

Again, thats a flawed argument because the intent should never be to protect the aggressor, its to protect the victim or the target of the hit. Just because Gleason didn't get hurt in this case doesn't mean that in the future this kind of hit won't result in a serious injury to an opposing player. Or in the past (i.e Gonchar). And you're assuming that Ovechkin's own injury is a deterrent to himself from pursuing those types of hits. I think thats a huge assumption to make and one that can't be taken under consideration when doling out a punishment. What if I broke into someone's house and got shot or cut myself on broken glass? Do i get a get-outta-jail free card because the injury to myself should be enough of a deterrent never to rob another house again? No, I still get nailed for my ACTIONs. And like it or not, thats how the league should view any incident like this. The resultant injury to the aggressor is completely irrelevant.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"Discuss and present a 200 page defense by Monday.

I hated that class..."

Think critically, you can do it! ;)

I still have nightmares about college exams.

A lot of people ponied up season tix at the box office because of Ovie, I think the fans have every right to know what's going on personally.

That would be my argument. :P

"As I've said, you don't suspend a guy to protect him from himself."

Knee on knee, he's getting suspended.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Really? attacking a guy from behind and driving his head into the ice doesnt make your top 20? i'd say outside of mcsorley on brash, this is the worst i can recall, certainly in the last 20 years. i'd like to see your list.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 1, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 2:08 PM

How about the potential injury to Perreault when he was checked from behind, in the numbers, and into the end boards. Hits like that often result in concussions, a worse injury to a human than even a wrecked knee. Had Perreault fallen to the ice and lay prone, the arm would have gone up and a Hurricane would have been escorted to the dressing room.

Matty wasn't hurt though, so "play on."

Ovi only needs his own coach to say, "Alex, just a decibel or two lower."

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

1) Entirely possible the team is remaining coy about Ovechkin's 'injury status' until the discipline is determined. If he was going to miss a game anyway they'd prefer that go toward the inevitable 2-3 game suspension that he's likely to get.
2) If they said he's going to miss a week then the suspension wouldn't theoretically start until he's medically cleared to play.

Posted by: fauxrumors | December 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

cstanton- careful with that argument! If someone breaks into your house and injures themselves, they're likely to sue you.... and WIN!

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bondra2Ovie

To be honest, I hope they suspend Ovie. I gave him a pass on the Gonchar hit, but this is the second time in recent memory he has kneed an opposing defensemen. It's time for the man to sit. There is no place in hockey for that.

Posted by: The_Spear | December 1, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

so where do you draw the line?Hypothetically speaking, if Ovechkin continued to do this once every few games and ended up causing 15 knee injuries in one season, do you just turn a blind eye to it? A player is still responsible for the way he skates, the way he carries his stick, etc. You're almost saying that Gleason should have just allowed Ovy to cream him because by trying to avoid the hit he himself created the dangerous situation. Thats a real slippery slope of an argument.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

slippery slope indeed

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

cstanton:

Two points must be made:

1) If you suspend every questionable hit that could have possibly resulted in a negative outcome, there wouldn't be any players left to play except Gretzky.

2) You should never bring a person's mother into the argument.

Sorry, dude, but I'm being Ovi's defense attorney. Someone has to do it. He's innocent until proven guilty.

If I recall, Ovi's arms were somewhat raised as he bored down on Gleason.

That position when in attack is inconsistent with then hitting knee on knee.

If you change the charge to, "Attempted charging that inadvertently became knee-on-knee," and make it a one game suspension, and you make it the Panther game, I'll try and get my client to agree.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who has ever played a sport at a high level knows what type of injury this is...Sometimes you knock knees with someone and its incredibly painful. Your leg goes numb for a bit and you have trouble walking BUT as long as its just that it goes away. When I saw Ovie's hit that what I though happened. It looked more like a bone bruise type thing than a bending of ligaments that you often see when people get rolled up on. (think a lineman getting fallen on by another lineman from behind). This didn't look like that, this looked like a dead leg.

Posted by: nford2 | December 1, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, I'm sending The_Spear (aka Danny Briere) to the Doofus Brigade.

cstanton: I'm having fun with you, just as you are with me. I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet.

FREE OVECHKIN NOW!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

i don't believe the caps ever promised ovi in person for 41 games. being a sth does not entitle anyone to private info that does the team no good to share with anyone - that includes the league, other teams and the fans

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 1, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't recall seeing Gleason get a game misconduct. Can anyone make sense of this:

Posted by: mattbuckley80 | December 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The Caps do not owe us any players medical information. Medical information is protected by the privacy act. Revealing details against the wishes of the patient could result in the doctor losing their liscence. We've been told day to day with a sore knew and if that is all we get than that is all we get. Anyone that choses to use that information to decide not to attend the game, please give me your tickets and I will gladly attend in your place.

Posted by: lornemyoung | December 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

He's aggressive and physical, which we all love about Ovie. But he is also too valuable to the franchise to risk serious injury or lengthy suspension. He has a responsibility to the franchise that pays him $10 million per year to be available to play every night.

His presence on the ice also makes every one of his teammates better, and more successful. When he is not out there, every other player has a steeper hill to climb, and our really good team isn't quite as great as our potential. Playoff home ice advantage is decided by a mere few points...points he helps us gain when he plays.

The risks are not worth the reward of reckless play. Alex, act like the team leader you are. Play tough Ovie, but pick your battles. We need you on the ice, not in the Penalty box or on crutches.

Posted by: 4jhawks | December 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Make that a sore knee and add my need to spell check better

Posted by: lornemyoung | December 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else a little disturbed by BB shrugging off his coaching responsibilities here? The guy scores 60 goals a year so if he wants to hurt the team by being a little reckless, that's okay? I don't like that one bit, and I can't think of any other coach in the league who wouldn't immediately try to get through to Ovie about something like this. It's borderline. I get it. But borderline with Ovie is the status quo, so you just say "whatever"?

Posted by: snakegriffin | December 1, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@griz0615 - "Owe?"

Are you MAD??!

The Capitals do not "owe" us an explanation of Ovechkin's injury that will be used by every other team in the NHL as a map of where to hit him! That's private information, between Ovechkin and his attending physician, with Boudreau, Leonsis, and McPhee inserted as "need to know" people.

We - and the rest of the League - do NOT need to know, nor do we have a right to.

Just because Ovechkin is a public figure does not mean he is required by law to give full disclosure of injury.

Period.

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@The_Spear

I assume you are a Pens fan since I don't remember you posting before. I agree that Ovi should be suspended for the hit. But before you get all high and mighty with your "Ovi is a dirty player" tirade, please explain how Crosby's two handed slashes make him a role model. Those aren't love taps he's doling out.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Actually, cstanton1, you are wrong that Gleason cannot have any liability in the collision. A player about to be checked, if that check would be legal, cannot commit an illegal move to protect himself.

to wit: A player may not put up his stick and hold it in the still position so that a player trying to check him would then become either high-sticked or speared when finishing the check.

So...if Ovi was performing a legal open ice hit, and Gleason's attempt to "escape" created the knee-on-knee, then Gleason is GUILTY!

Would you like to cross-examine?

If you call Ovechkin's mother to the stand, I will object.

I will call Gleason and, like Perry Mason, I'll get him to CONFESS!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

i don't agree with what appears to be a league policy where the extent of the injury seems to be the determining factor in regards to suspensions.
any major called in a game should be reviewed by the league and if found to be valid - then a suspension should be applied. if they then want to take into account an injury - then tack on additional games.
same with boarding and high sticking.

i'm not sure actual criminal acts can be used as a comparision here - criminal know they are doing something wrong already.
i think a better view would be a day care center where you have childern that do not control themselves. if you break the rules here is your penalty - 5 min timeout, someone got hurt - 30 mins, you just can't help yourself and keep hurting others - go find another daycare to play in

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 1, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 1, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

lol, i knew i'd get someone to respond with that statement. There are at least 20 in the last 20 yrs where the "action" was more egregious than what Bertuzzi did. I think Brad May owns about 5 of them. Dino Ciccarelli's attack on Luke Richardson easily eclipses a gloved punch to the back of the head. Matt Johnson's attack on Jeff Beukeboom which ended his career is identical if not worse than what Bertuzzi did to Moore. Tony Granato's hatchet attack with his stick on on Neil Wilkinson which sent Wilkinson into a cluster seizure in the lockerroom. Tie Domi's punch on a defenceless Ulf Samuelson - a straight shot to the jaw, ungloved, that rendered Ulf immediately unconscious. Rick Tocchet's spear to the face of Dale Hunter that could easily have blinded Hunter but instead resulted luckily only in a deep gash (1988 playoff game in Philly). Messier's sucker punch to an unsuspecting Jamie Macoun that broke his jaw in multiple places. Jimmy Mann on Paul Gardner is arguably equivalent in terms of egregiousness. John Kordic skating up behind Keith Acton and intentionally using his stick to crush his nose into his face. Tocchet sitting on top of Dean Chynoweth and gouging his eyeballs so badly that Chynoweth almost lost his eyesight in one eye. Dale Hunter intentionally dropping his 200lb body on top of Glen Wesley's head who was already laying facedown on the ice from a Hunter xcheck in the 89-90 playoffs. He drove his face into the ice so hard that I thought he crushed every bone in that kid's face. All it did however was leave a huge welt on the cheekbone. There's a lot more. And of course the minor and junior leagues which I haven't even touched yet. Boulerice on Andrew Long and a million more..

if you talk about intent and the actual action, Bertuzzi's wasn't anywhere near that serious compared to so many others in recent history. Everything I laid out above happened after 1980 and many of them after 1990.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, I'm sending The_Spear (aka Danny Briere) to the Doofus Brigade.

FREE OVECHKIN NOW!

Posted by: tominfl1

Why, because regardless of the jersey that he puts on, that type of play is not necessary or should be allowed whatsoever in the NHL? I'm intrested how you would react had that been Tim Gleason running at Ovie?

Posted by: The_Spear | December 1, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Gleason was involved in a ruckus in front of his netminder with Sloan. Actually, I think Staal was involved with Sloan and Gleason jumped in? Someone clarify? My head was spinning by that point of the game...

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

granato on wilkenson was pretty bad...like mcsorley on brash for sure. and i'd say johnson on buekeboom was pretty much the same as bertuzzi. from behind, etc. a lot to choose from for sure. but bertuzzi stands out to me cause the kid had no reputation for any of that kind of stuff (not that reputation means your career should be ended) and just got blindsided by a guy who should know better. the guy barely had time to establish a career and it ends.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Spear | December 1, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

the running at doesn't seem to be the issue, we're used to people running at OV and OV running at others. The issue was the knee-on-knee, which is rather subjective. I think a player like Gleason would be viewed more harshly by ALL if he had been doing the running because one could assume he was trying to take out the "best" player on the team. A motive is easy to find. For OV to intentionally take out Gleason?

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

If he continues to play this way he will shorten his career by years. He doesn't have the sense to know that at 24 he can do basically anything he wants. But at 31 he will start feeling it. Look at Knuble. He had a relatively easy career in his early days and at 36 plays like a 28 year old.

Posted by: MKadyman | December 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Would you like to cross-examine?

If you call Ovechkin's mother to the stand, I will object.

I will call Gleason and, like Perry Mason, I'll get him to CONFESS!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I'll cross examine.

Gleason didn't commit an illegal move obviously to escape the hit so I'm putting you AND yer mother in solitary confinement together for making that monstrously heinous argument. Btw, I'm flying to FL tomorrow so you can buy me a beer then. I'll be in Naples!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@chad8: As I recall Sloan and Staal were in a scrum and Sloan's helmet was off, then Gleason punched Sloan in the back of the head. Then Sloan went down and Steckel pulled him out and Sloan got up but the scrum continued. It was a weird weird mess of a scrum. And Gleason got a ten minute misconduct. I do call punching a guy in the back of a head dirty. I'm pretty careful when I level that word at players--I use it pretty sparingly. But yeah that was uncalled for by Gleason.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau needs to keep this between himself, the team and Ovechkin.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | December 1, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Spear | December 1, 2009 2:55 PM

Tim Gleason would have bounced off.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Its not exactly a state secret that it was Ovechkin's right knee that was injured, what with the hit being featured on multiple internet sites and on TV highlights in probably every NHL city. I agree, however, to the extent that there is some competitive advantage to be gained from not releasing specifics as to how severe the injury is. Let the Caps' upcoming opponents prepare not knowing for certain whether our all-world player will be playing. "Sore knee" and "day to day" is enough info for me.

Posted by: rbpalmer | December 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@capsyoungguns- thanks, I wasn't too far off I guess! :)

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: Putting me in solitary with my mother is worse than anything Campbell can do to Ovechkin.

You are a cruel, cruel judge.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Everything I laid out above happened after 1980 and many of them after 1990.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Kind of surprised that you didn't mention Dale Hunter's attack from behind on Pierre Turgeon after Turgeon scored a goal during the deciding game of the 1993 opening round of the playoffs. Hunter drove him into the boards separating Turgeon's shoulder and drawing a 21 game suspension, which I think at the time was a record for an on-ice transgression.

Posted by: rbpalmer | December 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

If you watch the replay from behind Ovechkin, you would see that he was lined up and Gleason made a good last minute move to get out of the way. It was more of a bad "technique" by Ovechkin rather than an intentional attack to Gleason's knee. It is nothing like the "lazy" knee trip that Laraque gave to Kronwall. See for yourselves:

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Whether he's legally required to or not, Tiger Woods should tell us exactly what Ovechkin's injury is.

Posted by: rw-c | December 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

the reason I didn't mention Hunter's hit on Turgeon is because I don't think Hunter's "action" was worse than Bertuzzi's action. The result was bad of course with Pierre hurting his shoulder but I've seen a lot of hits like that where a player simply dusts himself off and gets up.

The reason that got so much airplay was because it happened in New York, and Ray Ferraro went on every single TV outlet he could find and excoriated Hunter. There was a lot of pressure on the league to make that kind of a call. At the time, I know most of my friends and I thought it was a classic case of non-hockey folks getting bent out of shape. They acted like Hunter nuked Nagasaki. He was a poor sport about the goal and he acted angrily. But he didn't club him over the head with a stick or try to spear him into oblivion. Dale that very season probably commmitted a dozen acts more heinous than the Turgeon incident. But the end result combined with the fact it was a deciding playoff game and the Isles lost their best forward heading into the next series AND that it occurred in NY made it all the more visible. And Ray Ferraro lobbying to get Hunter suspended for life didn't help matters either. This is the same Ferraro who 2 or 3 weeks earlier xchecked a Devils forward facefirst into the bench door. Some saint that a-hole is.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

whether or not they choose to tell us about the details of these injuries has nothing to do with the privacy - they don't tell us because the NHL doesn't require each team to make these things public like the NFL.

but if you think it's a day to day type injury, I'd like sell you some land down in florida.

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Here are two Owen Nolan clips. You don't necessarily think of him as being a cheap shot guy but most physical players at some point will do things like this. Tocchet for example never threw a clean hit in his life.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

That Nolan hit on Marshall is probably as bad as the Bertuzzi hit. Watch the way Grant's head bounces off the ice. I don't think that even garnered a suspension. There was another clip I was trying to find where Brad May swings his stick across the side of a Columbus player's face and drops him like a sack of taters.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

If you thin this is a long term or season ending injury I would like to sell you some land in Florida. Absolutely, ositively no way is this a ligament tear at this point. The Capitals front office would look ridiculous and they aren't that stupid.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | December 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

According to Ovechkin it seems as though this is a day-to-day injury. Maybe joek443 should try to sell him some land.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm banned from Tom in Florida from speaking of #32, but I must defend Chicken Parm (that was Ferraro's nickname). There is a huge difference in that this current incident was during the course of the game. The 32 at 77 incident was not. It was WELL after a goal had been scored. The sentiment that 32 did nothing wrong is bunk. Bertuzzi is also far diffent from Ovechkin in that Bert's was premeditated retalliation for the previous damage done to Nasland earlier that season. Bert had no previous history of such actions. Also an ex-Isle, but that doesn't really apply.

Ovi is nowhere near that level of villian, but I would give him a few games if that were what the rules call for.

Posted by: lornemyoung | December 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I've noticed...

Ovi only gets called with one of these "major" calls when he feels the need to protect and deliver...as we have already determined

He also gets called when we are dominating

He also gets called for "major penalties" that if it were any other player on our team or the opposing team, wouldn’t get called to begin with.

He also gets called when he acts like a leader,

And lately he gets called, practically every time he's on the ice, as seldom as that may be.

(Granted none of these occur all the time, they are just what I’ve noticed recently)

Now last night warranted a major, I agree, however I do not feel as though it deserved a game misconduct, nor does it warrant a suspension.

Here's my reasoning: Ovi led with his shoulder, slow motion confirmed that, and his leg followed. To me, it looked like he was in the midst of picking up speed, he cross stepped, braced for impact, and suddenly Gleason wasn’t there any more...To me ovi plays with a speed that is unmatched, and passion that is rare, and he had no intention of hurting anyone, we all know that. Ovi is the best player in the NHL and arguably the best player in the world, just because of his style, his passion. Who are we to condemn him?

On a side note (and I’m not saying that I am right) it seems to me that Ovi is being watched. The refs have his number(don’t we all) but all joking aside, the great eight is being watched, because the NHL and the Sidney Crosby’s of the world do not like the fact that the Russian Machine is taking over the NHL. He is untouchable and they figure if he won’t break, if he won’t stop scoring goals, then let’s sit him in the penalty box for 90% of the game, or better yet, let’s kick him out, or even better, let’s suspend him for a few games and give Crybaby Sidney a chance to rack up some points on him. To me it is a disgrace, and quite honestly, makes me a little sad to be a part of the NHL. Yes, with Ovi’s style of play, some penalties are warranted and inevitable really, but 80% of the calls that these refs have made lately have left me questioning the ethics of much of the NHL, its Players, and its staff.

...that being said, it will be interesting to see what the commissioner will have to say to ovi in the next few days... however I have a pretty strong feeling that it will have little to no effect on The Great Eight!

Posted by: -19- | December 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

OV gets two game suspension.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 1, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

The sentiment that 32 did nothing wrong is bunk.
------------------

who said he did nothing wrong ? All I implied was the actual action of hitting Turgeon was not akin to a 21 game suspension compared to the numerous other actions that were way worse that occurred on a weekly basis in the NHL at the time. Its just ironic that #32 got his longest suspension for that move when he probably had committed numerous worse atrocities. Did you look at the Owen Nolan vid where he jacks Grant Marshall off his skates with a sucker punch? That was wayy worse than the Hunter hit. Turgeon got hurt with the awkward way he landed. The action itself wasn't that egregious. Suspension-worthy? Sure. But to be handed out the longest suspension at the time was a little much. And since then the league hasn't been consistent either.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

-19-:
if i see gaborik and thornton getting majors, game misconducts and suspensions - not to mention kopitar, richards, marleau, perry and heatley - i'll be on board with your conspiracy theory

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 1, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Lorne: I know you are a good guy, so I'm giving you a mighty long leash with regards to "32." Remember, he's a hero in these parts, but he was dead wrong with Turgeon. That's all I can say on that.

joek443: I already own land in Florida. can I buy more?

JohnWWW: I'm calling you to the stand - a witness for the defense.

-19-: Same for you. You forgot to add what I put which is that Ovechkin led with arms somewhat raised, indicating he was prepping for his dreaded full-power check to the body. He MIGHT have been guilty of a serious charge, had that all gone down, or MAYBE a perfectly legal check ala Stevens on Lindros. HOWEVER, unlike Lindros, Gleason heard the footsteps and swiveled.

Ovechkin's last thought before making contact was doubtless, "Ooops."

There is no way on Earth this play came off the way Alex intended; completely unlike Laracque's check to Kronwall.

I submit to the judge that he dismiss the case due to lack of credible evidence proving anything save Ovechkin and Gleason were both in North carolina last night. Anything beyond that is mere supposition and depends fully on what Bill Clinton said, "what the definition of is is."

I rest my case.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

ovie will do ovie and thats the way it is.he wont change and he shouldnt change.i havent seen one thing wrong with any of the "hits" that have lead up to this.maybe bad positioning but not bad hit.ovie is a star cause of him playing the game he knows how to and thats just the way it is.only ovie will know when he thinks he should tone it down and till then noone should tell him other wise.did cam neely or toccett change there game cause they played with a little more reckless abandoment?no. and now there two HOFers.so ovie keep doin you buddy and have the best time of ur life while it last! GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | December 1, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

OV gets two game suspension.

Posted by: icehammer97 |

So says Tarik on his Tweet. 2 games out for #8.

Posted by: CapCenter105 | December 1, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

-19- said, "the NHL and the Sidney Crosby’s of the world do not like the fact that the Russian Machine is taking over the NHL."
__________________________________________

That not only makes no sense, but it's wrong. The NHL wants exciting and marketable players. Ovechkin may be exciting, but with each of these cheap shots, he becomes less and less marketable. And how is he "taking over the NHL"? In WHAT??? Stanley Cups? Scoring titles? Uh... no. If you would care to look outside your stupid red bubble, you'd see that beyond Crosby and Malkin, there are a slew of exciting players, from Anze Kopitar to Joe Thornton to the current leader in both points and goals, Marian Gaborik. Of all of the previously named players, Ovechkin is the one doing the best imitation of a falling star.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | December 1, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Someone needs to plant this A_HOLE`s head into the boards.

Posted by: deuceman724 | December 1, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

we have a crybaby crosby supporter amongst us....

what a sad life you must lead that you spend your entire day basking in the life of your superstar wanna be....

You're just jealous because cindy will never be in a red sweater...nor will he ever come close to being a 2 time MVP...sorry that we are better than you....

Posted by: -19- | December 1, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse