Boudreau on Caps' streak: 'It hasn't sunk in or done anything'

Jose Theodore appears set to start tonight at MSG tonight as the Caps look to extend their franchise-record winning streak to 12 games. The veteran goalie has been a big part of the team's recent success, winning a career-best eight straight games while posting a 1.93 goals against average and a .944 save percentage during that time.

The rest of the lineup appears to be the same, with Quintin Laing and Karl Alzner sitting out once again as the healthy scratches.

As meaningful as Tuesday's milestone win was, Coach Bruce Boudreau said the team celebrated their achievement briefly after the game and quickly moved on.

"I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I just keep thinking it hasn't really sunk in or done anything," Boudreau said. "It was just 'congratulations' after the game and the guys all stood up and cheered as I congratulated them. Now it's on again. It's like starting a new one even though we're continuing the old one."

A win tonight would give the Caps the league's longest winning streak since 2000-01, when New Jersey won 13 in a row. In order to extend the streak, however, Boudreau said Alex Ovechkin and Co. must play with more passion, intensity and focus, particularly in the first period, than they've shown the past three games.

The Rangers, meantime, have lost six of seven and have scored a whopping nine goals during that span. Five of those goals have come off the stick of Marian Gaborik.

"We just want to get back to being more consistent as a team rather than having to rely on, 'Okay, it's a close game, it's the third period, we're going to win it," Boudreau added. "We want to get back to playing the way we're capable, like the way we were games 3-8 on the streak. Earlier on, we wold come out and play for 60 minutes. Now we're getting by playing for 30 minutes. Eventually you're not going to be able to get by doing that."

Here's the rest of your morning briefing:

*Mike Green will serve the third and final game of his suspension tonight. Although he's still walking with a bit of a limp because of a bruised knee, both he and Boudreau "guarantee" that he'll be back in the lineup tomorrow night against Atlanta, which is on the verge of trading captain Ilya Kovalchuk.

"Mike will play tomorrow night, I can guarantee that," Boudreau said.

*Michal Neuvirth, who missed a start in the minors because of a lower-body injury, practiced with the Bears and is "fine", according to Boudreau.

*Speaking of goaltending prospects, Boudreau also said there's a chance that Braden Holtby will get his first start tomorrow night against Atlanta. But if the Caps win tonight, would Boudreau really throw a rookie into his first NHL game with a 12-game streak on the line? I'm not so sure about that.

"We might," Boudreau said. "I haven't talked to [GM George McPhee]. I usually run everything by George and get his opinion on stuff. We'll see how Theo plays tonight."

*Boudreau also said that Semyon Varlamov "might" make a rehab start for Hershey on Saturday against Wilkes-Barre.

"He was out there [at practice in Hershey] for an hour yesterday and they have a full practice today," Boudreau said. "We'll see how he does."

*The ice here at MSG is brand new. Looks like an ice cube -- clear with lots of cracks. Several players and team employees shook their heads when they took a look at it before the morning skate. So expect a lot of bouncing pucks tonight.

*You're not the only one hitting refresh on your browser, anxiously awaiting some trade news regarding Kovalchuk. So is Boudreau.

"I'm a hockey fan," Boudreau said. "I love listening to trade rumors. I don't know what everyone would have to give up for him. ...My buddies weren't phoning me back. I've got to believe something is happening, it's just a matter of when."

*Wayne Gretzky had some interesting thoughts on the Caps, which are on Pierre Lebrun's ESPN.com blog.

"I think probably, them losing to Pittsburgh last year, they probably found that out firsthand. I expect them not to change their style a whole lot come playoff time, but they'll understand they can't trade chances the whole game," Gretzky added. "They will have to be a little more attentive to the defensive side, and I think they will be because of learning from what happened to them in the second round last year. Very similar to what we learned from losing in the finals to the Islanders that year."

*When Shaone Morrisonn retires from hockey, he may have a future in real estate.

The defenseman told me this morning that he's renting out his three-bedroom house in West Vancouver for $1,100 per night for 21 nights during the Olympics later this month. He said he reached an agreement with a family from Japan and he's also requiring a $5,000 deposit for incidentals.

That's it for now. I'm headed over the NHL headquarters in a bit, but will check in with a lineup later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 4, 2010; 1:22 PM ET
 | Tags: Atlanta Thrashers, Braden Holtby, Bruce Boudreau, Jose Theodore, Mike Green, New York Rangers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps go for win No. 12 tonight against Rangers
Next: D.C. snow and the Penguins-Caps game (updated)

Comments

That's an expensive hotel.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Very enterprising of Mo -- it would be nice if he donated that rent money to Haiti earthquake relief or his favorite charity - I expect he is scraping by on his NHL salary.

Posted by: JillC | February 4, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Really JillC? Why should anyone judge what Morrisonn does with his money? Athletes, unlike other professionals, actually have their ability to earn money for a living go down as they get older. These guys are constantly out in town supporting events. I guarantee Shaone Morrisonn has causes of his choosing that he donates to on a regular basis and it's really none of your business.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 4, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of trade rumors....Got any good ones? Love your column

Posted by: feeds02 | February 4, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

wow Tarik, you just threw shamo under the bus. i guess he'll have to report that 23k+ income to the canadian irs now. jk

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 4, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow..

Posted by: jdhoover | February 4, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Tarik/The Post crew will never post trade rumors. It's not really the point of this. They even avoid Caps-related rumors for the most part it seems. They will say something about it, but that's usually it.

The beat reporter for the team probably doesn't want to go around spreading baseless rumors and losing his credibility, since you never know how legitimate a rumor is.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Yea, they'll wait until its news and give a headline to .... oh crap. Wait. They won't do that either. Its hockey.

Posted by: jdhoover | February 4, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Unless Kovalchuk goes to Pitt (unlikely); Philly (cap reasons unlikely); NYR (also very small chance); or BOS (possible?) he won't affect the Caps until a poss. SC finals.

The real questions are:

If Kaberle moves?
Does Whitney (from CAR) go to Pitt and impact them like Kunitz and Guerin did last year?
Does Turco move? Does Biron move?

Kovy is a stellar player, but he's not a complete team...interesting to ponder the NHL landscape 3-4 weeks from now.

Posted by: netminder71 | February 4, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I am giving up on going to the Atl game. 2 seats, 405 Row N. I will take any reasonable offer. Email wrp530@yahoo.com if you are interested. I live to far from a metro to risk this.

Posted by: caps512 | February 4, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I am giving up on going to the Atl game. 2 seats, 405 Row N. I will take any reasonable offer. Email wrp530@yahoo.com if you are interested. I live to far from a metro to risk this snow.

Posted by: caps512 | February 4, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 4, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

sorry for the double post, slow server at work today.

Posted by: caps512 | February 4, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Caps512: I had to make the same difficult decision a little while ago. To far from the Metro to pull it off.

Posted by: eorr53 | February 4, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@netminder7

I still think Kovalchuk goes to New Jersey.

That article is one reason.

But I said this yesterday. Devils have plenty of cap room a good minor league team and so probably plenty of prospects. That describes L.A. as well, even better actually. But the Devils have the best defense in the league and to me that means they have a more realistic shot at winning it all, yet the Devils are one of the least productive teams in the league, so they could really use someone who can score without a lot of help like Kovalchuk.

I think the most perfect fit is with the Devils. There's little chance the Kings are coming out of their conference, with or without Kovalchuk. Devils + Kovalchuk is scary. If that happens, I'll be expecting it, but really, really unhappy about it. I would be much happier if he went to any other team.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 4, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

There's supposed to be a comma in there. Not allowed to edit though.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 4, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that ShaMo rental data is interesting. I am imagining a typical Vancouver family of 4 could just head out of town for the break to just about any spot on Earth and pay for it with rental money from their house.

There are roadblocks, though. 1) Many community associations and municipalities have rules/laws against short-term renting a home in a neighborhood (problem here in FL is people near the beach do it and the vacationers make noise and keep everyone up); 2) Not sure, but if you start renting your house you might change your tax filing status on the property from "primary residence" to "business," thus forcing you to pay tax on gain (if any) when you sell; 3) also, as the good captain points out, I believe the income less expenses must be declared on your taxes.

I'm sure ShaMo got himself a good accountant to figure it all out. And, as Jill C so eloquently noted, it would probably be good to donate the rental proceeds specifically (as opposed to ordinary income) to avoid some of the above pitfalls.

As always, consult your financial advisor.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Devils don't have the chips to make a trade and they won't serve up Parise or Zajac...

The Kings will land Kovy. They can part with Wayne Simmonds, Jack Johnson (or another young defender), and a draft pick. Kovy will also like the atmosphere and growth potential of the franchise and prob. stay for a longer term deal.

It'll be the Kings. My opinion.

Posted by: netminder71 | February 4, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Possibly Braden tomorrow?!! That's gonna be really exciting!!!!! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 4, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Lou ain't going to pull that trigger, and we all know it.

Rumored NJ return is; Oduya, Palmeiri, Bergfors, and a 1st.

Other teams can assemble a much better package, as you said. (LA).

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

If Kovy goes to the Kings, I will scream in joy.

Favorite non-Cap player goes to my favorite non-Cap team.

Lets see it happen Dean!

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Kings are logical.

1) Most cap space. $5.7M now, plus Frolov $4M, and Randy Jones $3M UFA coming off the books. That's the ability to give Kovy a $9-$10M per year contract.

2) Kopitar is @ $6.8M for 6 more years; Dustin Brown @ $3.175 for 4 more years; Quick / Drewiske / Doughty / Greene / Scuderi all signed into future at reasonable deals. So those building blocks are there.

3) They can afford to give up a Frolov or a Simmonds...and a 1st rounder.

Logic...NJ, PHI, PIT, BOS, CHI all have cap space issues. Would have to sell salaries to acquire Kovy, and don't / can't part with some of their top names.

Posted by: netminder71 | February 4, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

netminder71, I hope you are right. I might actually cry if New Jersey gets him. That defense is scary, and that is the team that I believe will be the Capitals' biggest hurdle to getting to the finals. Caps are 1-3 against the Devils this year. I think for two of the losses Ovechkin wasn't in the lineup and the other loss was just a shootout loss, but that defense still scares me. Although I guess its scariness would depend on what they would give up in the trade.

Once in the finals, I know there will be a tough team to play. For now, I'm mainly interested in just getting there. Wow that would be great to see Kovalchuk removed from the whole conference. I'm rooting for LA.

ESPN is saying something will probably happen today/tonight I think.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 4, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Cap space issues isn't going to be the determining factor here.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

According to ESPN: "The Kings remain the most logical destination, the rising club with space under the salary cap and a burning desire to make a big move before the March 3 trade deadline. But as of Wednesday night, a Kings source told ESPN.com the price was too high at that point for Kovalchuk."

But, y'know, trade talk by the parties involved is mostly BS until the agreement is actually signed. I am not giving up hope.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 4, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't dismiss Chicago. Of all the rumored teams, they are the one who would want to move veteran pieces. If they traded say Barker, a forward off the NHL roster and one or picks, they would actually help their cap space for next season. Would they re-sign him? No, that wouldn't be the plan. Long-term, LA might well be the most logical solution, but for this year's Playoffs, maybe not. LA is better to wait until July 1st and sign him then. Contract cost will be the same, but they will keep their roster intact going forward.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Plus, I think you are ignoring the fact that tight Wad stated he wanted roster players. PHI, BOS, CHI, etc... can all easily assemble a package with roster players, gain the space needed, and then have Kovy for the rental.

It all depends on what Dean wants and which of these roster players the teams are willing to give up.

I forgot what the rumored CHI return was...

Sharp, Versteeg, Barker, 1st. Something like that.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Dammit Tom, get out of my head. Or do I need to get out of your head?

Either way.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@Phil...

Sharp, Versteeg, Barker, and a 1st...that's some heck of a rental...you'd think they were getting Kovy and the ghost of Stan Mikita in the deal.

Good points about the Kings and long term possibility vs. rentals now...we'll see...fun to predict.

Posted by: netminder71 | February 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Cap space issues isn't going to be the determining factor here.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 2:53 PM

Well, it might and might not. Teams capped out like Caps last year can't get him. The Hawks though could offer Barker and Byfuglien in a package which would offset for this year and solve their cap problem for next year. I look for Hawks by a nose to take it in the stretch.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I love articles where Wayne Gretzky talks about the Capitals.

Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Coffey et al., when they first got to the NHL, as I remember them, weren't totally unlike the Capitals are right now. Besides being the best offensive team, one thing is with how Semin is today--how everyone would have been crazy about Messier on the Oilers if Gretzky weren't there attracting all the attention. Green reminds me of Coffey obviously. Backstrom is one of the best passers right about now, and Ovechkin is the best scorer. No one player anywhere is that much like Gretzky was in Edmonton, but, anyway, I just like the article.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 4, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

What's going on at the NHL Headquarters?

Posted by: larryn703 | February 4, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Phil: The Hawks must move a D man before next year and likely a forward. If they get Kovy, Byfuglien makes sense. They have the most to win, as they will be way over next season and it's better to get a rental then lose them in a fire sale. I don't believe though Sharp and Versteeg. Barker, Byfuglien and a #1? Doesn't that about match what ATL got for Hossa? OK, if not, throw in a #2. CHI isn't hurting for young players, they can skip a draft.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Not that Semin now and Messier on the Oilers didn't get a lot of love--they did. But if Ovechkin were not in Washington, and Gretzky were not in Edmonton at the time, they both would've got much more I think. And better numbers too.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 4, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Would love this move:

Caps trade D Morrisonn, AHL F Giroux, 2010 1st Round pick

for

Toronto D Kaberle, 2010 3rd round pick

Burke wouldn't make that trade sadly, and neither would McPhee (probably)...

Posted by: netminder71 | February 4, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

do/did. I have trouble with tense sometimes. Semin's still here. I know that.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 4, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Why would Burke want Morrisonn and Giroux, both UFAs after this season?

The problem with Kaberle is his 4.25 salary doesn't fit next year. You either have to move Poti or not sign Flash:

Ovechkin (2008-2021) 9.538
Varlamov (impending RFA) 0.822
Neuvirth (impending RFA) 0.822
S/T 2 Goalies 1.644
Total 23 Players 55.987
Cap Space 56.800
Available 0.813

(this is just an estimate - individual contract signings may vary - please consult your financial professional)

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Giroux has absolutely no trade value, not even for a 7th round pick.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 4, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

$1,100 per night ?

That's $100 in Japanese money, what a deal!

Posted by: CodePoetry | February 4, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

The Backstrom deal will be the big question, but I still have a hard time seeing him getting more than Toews and Kane. He has clearly increased his value this year with his tremendous play, but the Sedins only got $6.1M last year and they were UFAs. It is definitely possible Backstrom gets that much but my guess would be closer to $6.3M

Also, I don't think Fehr gets $2M. I still think about $1.6M. Remember many of the teams who used to be willing to pay money are close to the cap and have very limited spending ability which I think will start driving down the prices of some free agents, unless the cap increases. I think if Fehr demands $2M then GMGM will let him walk and replace him with a young guy.

Flash is interesting. I really have no idea how much he will go for, $3.3M is definitely possible.

I know people like to compare previous contracts, which is what all agents and teams will do, but many of those contracts were signed when many teams had cap space due to an increasing salary the first 4 years. I think the non-moving cap when limit the demand for free agents greatly and will drive down some of the prices for future free agents (non-top 20 players in the league) as long as the cap remains constant.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 4, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

sgm3: You might be right. For Backstrom, I didn't use the Sedins. You use the Sedins and Cammalleri and others who signed as UFAs in the comparison for Semin. Backie only compares to players extending their entry-level deals. He is arguably better than Kopitar (6.8) and both Toews and Kane (6.3 each). Anyway, add em up and divide by 3 and you get 6.5. Maybe it will be 6.3, but either way that is close. For Flash I averaged Penner, Weiss, Olesz, Parise, Zajac, Kostitsyn. It's much harder for Fehr since the population of comparables is larger. Go look at the contracts though (I did) and the more you look, the more you'll come away convinced higher is more likely. Like, with Schultz, a team could offer him (as RFA) $3M a year and compensation only a #2 pick. Don't think a team with space won't make that offer just to put Caps in bind for a solid player.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Tom it is possible, just not plausible...would mean having to let Schultz walk or moving Poti. Definitely let Gordon walk, and assume a few other things happen.

Here's my (for giggles) next years' Caps (with Kaberle)...

Ovechkin 2021(UFA) 9,538,461
Semin 2011(UFA) 6,000,000 1 Yr-Signed
Knuble 2011(UFA) 2,800,000
Backstrom 2016(UFA) 6,150,000 6 Yrs-Proj.
Laich 2011(UFA) 2,066,666
Chimera 2012(UFA) 1,875,000
Morrison 2012(UFA) 1,925,000 2 Yrs-Proj.
Bradley 2011(UFA) 1,000,000
Fehr 2012(RFA) 1,310,000 2 Yrs-Proj.
Fleischmann 2013(RFA)2,785,800 3 Yrs-Proj.
Steckel 2013(UFA) 1,100,000 3 Yrs-Signed
Laing 2011(UFA) 771,500 1 Yr-Proj.
Perreault 2011(RFA) 716,666
Neuvirth 2011(RFA) 821,666

Sub-Total Salary 57,403,258
Bonus Cushion (985,000)
Total (less Bonus) 56,418,258
Cap (if stays same) 56,800,000
Space 381,742

All pure speculation and dreaming...I know...if you don't get Kaberle, you plug Schultz and about $2M in there and get $2M+ more cap space to give to Flash...or keep Pothier on the cheap too...who knows??

Posted by: netminder71 | February 4, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

$3M/year would be a big offer and the team who makes it would have to deal with the cap consequences if the Caps decided not to match.

I think the Schultz situation would be interesting because paying $3M/year right is too much, but you also wouldn't want to lose him. Without going through the other teams cap situations from what I've read it seems that many of the "spenders" will be very limited this off-season such as Chicago, Boston, San Jose, Philly, NYR (even with some added space with the Jokinen trade) and also teams like the Caps, Pens, Oilers, Calgary, and now the Maple Leafs aren't looking to add money. While other teams like teh Avs and Islanders are worried about signing their own young players in a few years.

I just think that a lot of teams have been forced to be mre cost conscious than they were a few years ago with the cap not presently rising.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 4, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

netminder71: Only problem there is if Alzner makes the bonuses, you are over and you get the cushion overage deducted the following year. Not a good way to proceed.

Also, I don't want to lose Schultz for one extra year of Kaberle. Schultz is becoming pretty steady.

sgm3: A team like Atlanta or Columbus could easily afford between $2-3M on a Schultz type player. The Caps would almost have to match or lose him for a #2 pick that might pan out in 5 years (see: Chris Bourque). GMGM better hop on it and sign Sarge soon. The risk of losing Schultz and/or Flash is larger than Backstrom, who's going nowhere.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

True, teams like Atlanta (depending on what they receive for Kovalchuk) and Columbus could afford paying Schultz for $3M/year but most of those teams operate under their own self-inflicted budget.

It also seems like there is almost an unspoken agreement not to sign those type of RFAs from other teams(drives down prices). While this would clearly be collusion you would think other teams would be have done more of what you're suggesting.

What you suggested makes too much sense for teams not to have done it more before. Offers for RFAs only happened a few times from what I can remeber and I think many of those involved the Oilers and most involved very highly paid players. And the Oilers were ripped for doing it also.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 4, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Another option, if the cap situation works out like you listed, would be to trade Kaberle in the offseason to another team (if his no trade clause is either voided at the first trade or his no-trade clause allows a time period for him to be traded)

Posted by: sgm3 | February 4, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

sgm3: If you recall, McPhee signed Green, Laich and others before they received offers. I agree with what you are saying, but part of it is teams sign the RFAs before they get offers. Can't dispute what you're suggesting, but it's not worth the risk. After all, isn't EDM angry at McPhee over Nylander? Oh...nevermind.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

In other news, Tim Gleason makes the olympic squad. Can somebody tell me where Burke thinks that guy is beter than Tom Poti!?

Posted by: blanknerc | February 4, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1-

True, Edmonton is always a risk for crazy signings such as Penner and one of the Sabres (which was matched) and since they suck I could see them doing things out of spite.

I actually think that would make the off-season much more fun to follow, if teams did moves purely out of spite for others.

Such as if the Flyers offer Kris Letang $6.0M/year next year just so the Pens have to match or get rid of him. Or they offer all their lower end RFAs contracts worth $500K/year more than the guy is really worth. True, draft pick compensation might not allow all of this, but it would be fun to follow.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 4, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

It would be absolutely idiotic to get rid of Schultz.

Posted by: ouvan59 | February 4, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I would also love to see an interview with a GM after he signed a player, when asked "what were the reasons you signed player X?" He then responds "spite". That would be outstanding.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 4, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse