Boudreau On Tonight's Lineup

Bruce Boudreau didn't really shed much more light on the injury situation when he spoke to reporters moments ago. But it does look like Mike Green and Sergei Fedorov will play tonight.

"There's a good chance," Boudreau said. "They're going to take warm-up and we'll see. We haven't made that decision about what we're doing with the lineup. There's a lot of questions."

Boudreau did, however, confirm that Brent Johnson will start in goal, despite aggravating an old hip injury on Wednesday. Boudreau added that he would wait until after tonight's game before deciding on a starter for tomorrow's game in Montreal. But given that he doesn't like playing goalies on back-to-back nights, and Jose Theodore shut out the Canadiens last month, I'm thinking he'll tap No. 60.

"Brent was really good last game and that's why he's playing tonight," Boudreau said. "We'll address tomorrow, tomorrow."

Boudreau wouldn't confirm the lines for tonight (lots of players took the morning off, so it was impossible to figure them out) but it's reasonable to assume they are going to look like yesterday's:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Giroux-Nylander-Kozlov
Laich-Fedorov-Bradley
Brashear-Steckel-Gordon

The 'D' pairings, on the other hand, are likely going to change. I'll try to figure those out before game time.

Some other notes from this morning:

*I spotted Ovechkin from a distance as he was walking down a hallway. He saw me looking at him and laughed, then turned around and started dragging his leg behind him. Everyone who witnessed Ovechkin's antics got a big laugh out of it.

*The cast on Chris Clark's arm has been removed, and this morning he skated pretty hard. He told me he hopes to be back in a couple of weeks.

*Jeff Schultz also skated this morning. He said he still doesn't have a timetable for his return.

"Eventually we'll have everyone we started the year with," Boudreau said. "Hopefully, things will be easier for [trainer Greg Smith.]"

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 12, 2008; 11:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update on Green, Poti and Fedorov
Next: Neuvirth to Washington?

Comments

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 12, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Lmao, get easier for Smith. That might be the reason for the information delay.

"Ow, Mike, I got a booboo!"

"Sit over there, Tomas, take a number and I'll be with you in a week or so."

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 12, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Poor Fehr -- so many injuries so he should get plenty of ice time, and he gets injured. The kid can't catch a break, or that may be his problem, literally.

Poti and Green on the ice will be very nice. Pinching-in and scoring will be back in style. When this team gets healthy -- watch out.

Feds on the same line as Laich equals more chances for secondary scoring -- cha-ching. Too bad Flash is hurt -- that'd be a sweet line.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 12, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Not funny Ovie.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 12, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

FFS, loved the joke about Danny Briere, made my day.

Posted by: superpaqman | December 12, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh Ovie you little rascal

Posted by: _stevo | December 12, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

lol, Ovie pwn3d Tarik... ;-D

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 12, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Might they actually have a healthy scratch tonight in Osala? Jeez when was the last time? Or will they send him back down?

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 12, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I took a peek at the Sens' website; it says their power play is "ailing," and that they've been working it in practice, so we'll probably need to watch for them trying to draw penalties on us... hopefully, the referees will be on the ball. They've been called for diving a few times this season, though, so if the refs are paying attention... ;-)

I also went poking around in the game summaries for some details about how the Sens tend to play, as far as types of penalties they take, with an eye for the nasty ones (boarding, fighting, roughing, etc.)... some of y'all probably already know this; some may not, so here goes...

The enforcer appears to be one Chris Neil (RW, 6'1, 212#), who's got five fighting majors since around Nov. 14th. - I'd expect him to try and drop the gloves tonight, especially if the Sens get behind.

Jarkku Ruutu (LW, 6'1, 207#) has a fairly long sheet as far as penalties are concerned, but he does not appear to be a glove-dropper. He is, however, a diver, and he's got a misconduct and an unsportsmanlike conduct on his record...

Apart from Neil, Jesse Winchester (C, 6'1, 215#) has dropped his gloves four times since the point I started looking. Cody Bass (C, 6'0, 211#) has two fighting majors, and Jason Smith (D, 6'3, 220#) has one as well, so I am definitely looking to see at least one fight tonight, either with Brashear (most likely) or Bradley...

We need to avoid the penalty box, though, especially for stupid penalties. The team that spends the most time in the box tonight is likely in the most trouble, even though the Sens' power play is pretty bad. I didn't go back to the beginning of the season, because I wanted to get this written some time before the game started tonight, but I did want to see what kind of penalties the Sens tended to take, aside from the usual (tripping, holding, hooking), with an eye to things that might hurt us. They do have a couple of boarding penalties, but not many, so that's good. A couple of hi-sticking, a handful of slashing... If we can keep from rising to the bait as far as fighting goes, though, we could be in very good shape. They have a fair number of roughing penalties on their rap sheet, as well, so if we keep our heads and don't let them draw us into fighting, that will be quite useful. Fortunately, Brash seems to be picking and choosing on when he will and will not drop the gloves...

Thoughts?

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@tarik

re:Ovie limping

I assume the team is reading your blog then, and knows you have been all over the injury situation

Also on BB hiding the lines...Do the other teams send scouts to our morning skates?

Posted by: SA-Town | December 12, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

*snicker* @ Ovi. Tarik gets PWND! ;-)

(Looks like it *is* spelled "Ovi," BTW, not "Ovie"...)

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

i don't think neil will drop the gloves with the donald again, the donald handed his a** to him last year

Posted by: _stevo | December 12, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Another point on the Sens:

Their team ranges from 5'11" to 6'4"; we range from 5'9" (Aucoin is SHORT!) to 6'6". Weight-wise, we range from 182-224, and they range from 193-230, so while we're taller, they are heavier than we are, which may or may not be an advantage. Brash is bigger and heavier than any of their regular glove-droppers, but Bradley is lighter.

I'm not saying that fighting is the only type of penalty I'm expecting to see tonight - not by a long shot. The Senators do their fair share of hooking, holding, tripping, etc. too - and in some games, they do it a lot. In our game on November 4th, though, we took five penalties, and they took only one. If we repeat that, it could be a problem.

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

irock - way to do your homework

Posted by: superpaqman | December 12, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@_stevo - last game, they only took one penalty, and that was for tripping, but in my generalized research, I didn't go back that far... To be honest, I'm more concerned about Ruutu doing something rude than I am about Neil dropping the gloves. People don't tend to be injured in fights...

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I am going to predict someone random drops the gloves tonight (steckel, laich, gordon). So far only brash has dropped the gloves, besides bradley once and morrison once

Posted by: _stevo | December 12, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@superpaqman - Thanks! :) I do try. Research tends to be my middle name...

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't really have a "hockey" comment, but I did want to thank Tarik and Katie for the "ramped up" Caps coverage this season. You have provided a lot of interesting information that people want...thanks!

Posted by: Blueline | December 12, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered...agreed

Yeah ruutu is a chump and would injure someone with a check from behind or something

Posted by: _stevo | December 12, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SA-Town | December 12, 2008 12:41 PM

No but they could easily access this blog!

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 12, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

*crossing my fingers, that everyone stays healthly tonight* Ruutu would try and hurt someone.

Posted by: HBFan | December 12, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@thisguy

I know that...I'm thinking this blog cant be the only reason they are hiding the lines.

Im sure if the Caps asked Tarik to stop reporting the lines and updates on gameday he would.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 12, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Our biggest concern tonight is that we HAVE to take this game seriously. The Sens have proven they can beat us, and we don't want to lose to them again. We face them four times this season, and I'd like to win the last three. If we come out with a "once bitten, twice shy" attitude, we should be on our toes. I'm going to give my keys to the game:

1) Play the system.
2) Stay out of the box.
3) Take the game seriously.

and I think they're pretty much the same as they've been all season. We've GOT to take the Sens as a serious threat, or we'll fall on our faces.

Ruutu plays very dirty hockey, from what I've seen. I should look at him more... wish there was a summary on NHL.com of what penalties a given player has taken and when... I may put one together in my copious free time... ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I personally think hiding the lines is a good idea. It keeps the other team guessing right up until game time, and that's a good and sneaky thing to do. We see how well it worked against Boston!

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Hello Caps fans

Don't forget to vote for Ovechkin for the starting lineup of the allstar game

we can't let Montreal players be the starting 5. I'd like to see a line made of Crosby Ovechkin and Malkin even if it's for a few seconds...

Log on to : fanballoting.nhl.com

I hope to visit Washington soon and watch a Caps game at the Verizon center.

Posted by: dmartin3 | December 12, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@dmartin3

Ovechkin would run Malkin into the boards even if they are on the same team.

Malkin loves to cry, and Ovi loves to hit...It's a perfect match.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 12, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday I read the Boston Globe reference provided by Tarik; man those Bruins blog commenters are some A league whiners.

Posted by: Bartolo | December 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The World Ends Tonight at 9pm EST. Join the unholy alliance and get out the vote for Ovie tonight.

More info here - link.

Posted by: Gustafsson | December 12, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I saw the Philly comeback yesterday. Even though I hate Philly and Pittsburgh more than any other teams in the Conference it was nice to see Carolina lose one of the points they were poised to get.

Oh man, watching the warm-up to see who's gonna go, as a fan is cool. During the warm-up on Wednesday I though Semin was hopping and looked like a sure thing. Poti on the other hand looked like he wasn't too sure. When they came out for the game it was fun too because I sit in 430 so I see the Caps numbers as they come out of the tunnel. It was cool to see 3 and 28 come out. Hopefully we'll see 52 and 91 also. If not, we're still going to win tonight. The call-ups will be excited that their still here, and the team will know that 52 and 91 are very close. This team is about to explode. AWESOME!

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 12, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

irock or steveo, wasn't it Ruutu the one who knocked Kovalchuk out of the line up with the knee to knee shot?

Posted by: superpaqman | December 12, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Rutuu was the same in Pitt. Love's the open ice hit in the neutral zone, as well as boarding the less than aware.

Hopefully, the Caps will be up for the game. When they are, they can shut down teams like the Bruins & Anaheim. When they're not, they get stuffed by the Columbus Nashes and the LA Kopitars.

Posted by: rok_d_rEd | December 12, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@stevo

Unless they learned something in the meanwhile, let Brash do the fighting. Everybody else... lots of heart, but lots of own butt kicked too lol

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@superpaqman...you got it jarko ruutu

Posted by: _stevo | December 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@superpaqman - I'm not sure, and can't find a reference to the injury, but it certainly sounds like a Ruutu move. Do you remember the date of the game in question?

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@mauree..agreed

bradley is great and will drop the glove with anyone, but not that great at it

Posted by: _stevo | December 12, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@_stevo - Do you believe Ruutu's comment that he was just trying to make a clean check? I can't watch the video at work, unfortunately...

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

i don't buy it with his history of being a dirty player, kinda like sean avery apologizing about his comments

Posted by: _stevo | December 12, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I just about died laughing after I read that piece about Ovi.

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey question here....I get caps updates to my cell, todays said something abour caps recall Neuvirth... Tarik, Bueller, anyone, anyone...? whats up johnny worse than originally thought?

feds and lambogreenie back the piecces are falling in place for a holiday win streak
go caps

Posted by: sasha8 | December 12, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I am not a doctor. My medical training is putting on band-aids. That said, I would think it wise not play Poti or Feds both nights of this back-to-back. Let's say we play Green and Collins tonight and then Green (he's younger) and Poti tomorrow. as for Fedorov, I would say play him tonight and then, depening on the minutes, because you can always just hold down the mins, maybe rest him Saturday.

I am not questioning BB, because he's the expert, and I really think we lucked into one of the league's best coaches, but Poti's had two groin strains this year and both times he came back right into high minutes.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 12, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@ Sasha8:

Saw the same thing just now - whats going on? Anyone have any insight?

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

ruutu doesn't let up. he goes for the questionable hit. he plays rough and often dirty. he's a good skater, with speed, but he targets soft spots and has a low moral threshhold. if semin has his head down along the boards while reaching or something, ruutu will target it and let semin take the fault. I fear for players safety when ruutu is in the lineup. he's the guy gmgms and coaches are talking about when they say they don't want to announce player injuries. knowing the caps have so many banged up players is probably making Jarko salivate and foam at the mouth.

Posted by: oo7 | December 12, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

What what what? I haven't seen anything about Neuvirth, and that would be a lead story on the Bears' website... Tarik???

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: R617 | December 12, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@ irockthered:

Courtesy of Yahoo! Sports:

WASHINGTON (TICKER) —The Washington Capitals on Friday recalled goaltender Michal Neuvirth from South Carolina of the ECHL.

Neuvirth, 20, is 5-3 with a 1.74 goals-against average and a .938 save percentage in eight games with the Stingrays

Neuvirth was the Capitals’ second round pick in the 2006 draft.

Not sure what it means though. Anyone?

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't Neuvirth be going to the Bears first? He's ECHL... no way he's ready for the NHL level play...

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered
I get the caps updates along with nhl (usually 3-4 items) via text message, and todays #1 update said Caps recall Neuvirth. Now did they just mean back to Hershey or what??
Thats why i asked hee if anyone else got the same, and yes someone else did

Posted by: sasha8 | December 12, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

mebbe he going back to Hershey and one of the Bears goalies is coming up. i am not trying to cause a stir here, but i think Johnny is nursing somethiong more than he is letting on. after his tumble against the Bruins he was slow getting up a few more times after that.

Posted by: doughless | December 12, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@ irockthered:

I would think he would be going to the Bears but I have no idea - you said this wasn't news on the Bears site?

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess Johnny is more seriously injured that they are letting on, Neuvirth is probably closer so he can attend the pregame skate. I wonder if the Caps are using the emergency goalie recall or a standard recall.

Posted by: koalatek | December 12, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@doughless - that's considerably more likely than him coming all the way from the ECHL all the way to the Caps...

@sasha8 - where do I sign up for those?

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

doughless you might be onto something with Johnny. He really rolled the other night and a couple other times looked "ouchy"
perhaps neuvirth up here due to back to backs( he can always watch from a suite and practice) and Bears out on a road trip, so rays are closer... who knows

Posted by: sasha8 | December 12, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered--mydaughter signed me up thru facebook, you pick your team and put in your cell # and you get caps updates after each period(when games are going on) and each day even during the summer etc....

Posted by: sasha8 | December 12, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

are the bears out west?

Posted by: oo7 | December 12, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm not liking this... I'm not liking this at all. There is no way in hell Neuvirth is NHL-ready. I hope he's just up as a precaution, and not because both Theodore and Johnny are hurt. We all know Johnson's nursing that hip injury, but I've been saying for weeks that we cannot afford to lose him, and I'd rather see Theodore play and Johnson rest than try and pull one of our boys from Hershey up, let alone from South Carolina!

Yikes!!!

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. I wish I really knew what was going on - I mean if Johnny is more injured than he let on, why would Bruce name him the starter for tonight? Unless, after Bruce's talk with the media Johnny had a change of heart about being able to play tonight. I just hate to see him go out since he's been on such a roll, but I'd rather him be 100% healthy.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@oo7 - Houston. Far enough.

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@ 007:

They are in TX I believe.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

But the Stingrays are in Florida.... Estero, Florida, to be specific. Closer than Houston, though, and at least the same timezone...

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

yes the time zone is a key plus varlomov (sp) played last night....

Posted by: sasha8 | December 12, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Jarkko (sp?) Ruutu:

Latest in a long line of evil-incarnate cheap-shot artists to issue forth from Pittsburgh...sound's like he's been following the Matthey Barnaby/Darius Kasparaitis playbook to a tee.

Perhaps a pre-emptive strike?? hmmm....

@Thisguy: Agreed: perhaps amusing in and of itself, but under the circumstances not funny, AΩ...not funny at all...

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 12, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

could they be loaning out neuvirth???

Posted by: sasha8 | December 12, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Tarik will have something on this soon. This is big news...

Varlamov played last night, which means Machesney's probably playing tonight... with the Bears on game two of a back-to-back, and the Stingrays very rested - the last time they played was last Saturday against the Charlotte Checkers... still.

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@sasha8 - to whom? The Stingrays have only two goaltenders: Neuvirth and Goepfert... and the Stingrays have back-to-back games tonight and tomorrow. The ECHL seems to run Friday-Saturday for games, but at least it seems to be the same team both nights...

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered: Bears don't play till tomorrow night, but yea, it'll probably be Cheeser in goal. Varly didn't have a good game last night.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 12, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

All this speculation is making me more nervous! Too many scenarios which make sense...

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201 - Glad one of us can read!

@ShariLeigh131 - I'll shut up and wait for Tarik now...

Posted by: irockthered | December 12, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Is WaPo gonna do anything about this annoying as hell pop-down ad that has to load each refresh of the page? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the same DAMN AD EVERY TIME. I am seeing it in my sleep, in my soda, in the toilet bowl. It's burned into my retinas!

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 12, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

My 2 cents:

Johnny is going to go out for warmups tonight and see if he can go. If he can't, Theodore gets the start and Neuvirth will be the emergency backup.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 12, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any truth to the rumor that Jose Theodore is hurt and that the caps are scrambling to find a backup for tonights game?

Posted by: redskins2448 | December 12, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

This whole Neuvirth thing is very interesting. I, for one, don't think he is NHL ready, so hopefully, if this call-up is true, it means he will be going to the AHL, and one of the Hershey netminders will be coming up to the Caps.

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth did fine in the Caps preseason and if the caps weren't stacked at goalie, he'd be in Hershey putting up the same stellar numbers that the other goalies there are.

Seemed like last years games against Ottawa were all 6-5 shooutous anyhow.

Posted by: stormblue | December 12, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

My source says that it's Theo not Johnny who's hurt. So Neuvirth will be the backup in case something happens. I wonder if this means the kid will make his first start against Montreal tomorrow. Where's Tarik??

Posted by: redskins2448 | December 12, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@stormblue

He did have a great preseason, but I would like for him to be in the AHL first, before coming up to the NHL.

@redskin2448

mind sharing your source?

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@ redskins2448:

When would Theo have gotten injured? Couldn't have happened during a game.

But seriously, let's stop the speculation and wait for Tarik to weigh in. He's the only one of any of us with close knit ties to the team.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Just listened to Vogel on precap. He made some vague reference to goalie issues and said he cannot comment at this time on any transactions that might be happening....

Posted by: tess2201 | December 12, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if Theodore was practicing today? I can't think of when he could have gotten hurt, unless the injury was unrelated to hockey, like he was watching the Joe Sakic snowblower instructional video or something.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 12, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

What the heck is going on?! Inquiring minds need to know!!!

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@FFSEnough

Firefox. Get the Ad Block add-ons. I'm not a fan of "add-ons" but that one's worth it.

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Patience people. I'm sure Tarik is doing his best.

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

@tess

What kind of transactions?

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's a story that might answer some goalie questions:

Posted by: r4e11 | December 12, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm bad at practicing what I say. And I have absolutely no patience (and no work to do so I'm constantly refreshing the blog for possible updates.)

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I was at morning skate today, and here are my observations . . .

Jose and Brent both started the session and took shots. Both looked good. But after about 20 min (or less), both left the ice, and Neuvirth came on the ice. At least I can only assume it was him. I’ve never seen him play before, but he had a big yellow “N” on his mask. He took shots at both ends from most of the guys. In my amateur opinion, he did not look that good.

The highlight of the skate, however, was when OV came out wearing nothing but what seemed like boxers and a t-shirt w/ hockey gloves and skates. He skated for a few min, harassed some of the others, and left. He seemed to be in a real jovial mood, which I hope is a good sign for tonight.

Posted by: griffin13 | December 12, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you all got your wish and Theo was traded somewhere.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 12, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@r4e11

according to that link, and I quote: Neuvirth will be in the lineup tonight for the Capitals when they play host to the Ottawa Senators

That's hard to believe. Is oursportscentral reliable?

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@griffin13

lol @ Ovi in boxers that's hilarious, thanks for sharing that.

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@ r4e11:

To add to Mauree's post:

This (about Neuvirth in the lineup tonight) hasn't been reported anywhere else - I'm not taking anything for fact unless I hear it from Vogs, Tarik, Corey, or the Caps themselves.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 12, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

One hunch could be that Theo is on the move along with Nylander or someone now that we're getting healthy again (knock wood re: health).

The problem with that hunch is that that would leave a somewhat injured Johnny as #1 and a minor leaguer as #2 (unless we were getting a goalie back in a Theo deal...)

Again, totally baseless speculation.

Posted by: MTB7 | December 12, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

I can't speak to the reliablility, I happened to find it when I was doing searches for news stores on "capitals" and "senators"

However, note that there is now a story from ECHL.com, basically saying the same thing.

Posted by: r4e11 | December 12, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

He just had a big smile on his face the whole time. I can't imagine the coaches letting anyone else get away with that, with everyone else in full pad,s drills being run, and slap shots being fired all over.

Gotta love #8

Posted by: griffin13 | December 12, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I was at morning skate today, and here are my observations . . .

Posted by: griffin13 | December 12, 2008 4:04 PM

That wasn't Neuvirth, that was Leonhardt the Caps web producer guy who occasionally laces it up for practice when the goalie situation is tenuous. The N on his mask stands for Neummann College, a small Philly school where Leonhardt played.

Not Neuvirth.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 12, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Guys, I can't reveal my source but let's say they work directly in the front office. It is confirmed that THEO is out tonight. I don't know what happened or how it happened. Don't know if he's been traded but all I do know is that McPhee was running around the office like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to scramble to piece together this last min mess. Johnny is only 50% right now and this guy Neuvirth is only here because Hershey is away from the area. I'm sure Tarik will weigh in but you heard it here first!

Posted by: redskins2448 | December 12, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

@r4e11

well the ECHL says "he'll be with the team" not "on net" - that I can believe more hehe. BTW the pic on ECHL... he look sooooooo young haha

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

@griffin13
could the goalie with "N" on his mask be Stretch (web designer) who played doal in college and has taken practice before, as recently as yesterday???

Posted by: sasha8 | December 12, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

new thread, finally Tarik's on it

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@ ThisGuy

Thanks for the clarification. I was a little worried for a while.

Posted by: griffin13 | December 12, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

First Tariks instance with Ovi, and now what griffin13 witnessed.

I have a feeling Ovi is gonna have an interesting game, tonight.

Posted by: elicea | December 12, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

@griffin13

lmao I'm imagining you were thinking "omg that guy look terrible!!" but couldn't say it in here explicitely?

Posted by: mauree | December 12, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse