Boudreau: Onus on Caps to Do Better

In his pregame interview, Coach Bruce Boudreau confirmed that Jose Theodore will start in net tonight against the Blackhawks and the lineup will be the same from yesterday's season opener.

Boudreau did talk to Theodore, but said that this game needs to serve as a clean slate for the whole team, not just the team's prime free-agent signee, who gave up four goals on 17 shots in the 7-4 loss to Atlanta.

"That was the most goals we've given up," Boudreau said. "There were some bad goals by the goalie but they weren't all goalie mistakes. It was an embarrassing, and we put the onus back on the same group of guys that played to come back and see if they can do better."

After the loss to the Thrashers, Boudreau said his greatest disappointment was special teams. The Capitals were 2 for 7 on the power play last night.

"Those opportunities for what we did on those two goals were there all night we didn't work at it," Boudreau said. "We didn't work at it hard enough or we could have had three or four, I believe."

Boudreau also brought up that with the Blackhawks come memories of one of the Capitals' worst losses last year, when on March 19 they were shutout 5-0 at the United Center out shot 20-4 in the first period. The game was also the Caps' final loss of the regular season.

By Katie Carrera  |  October 11, 2008; 5:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Khabibulin To Start For 'Hawks
Next: Caps Defeat Blackhawks, 4-2 For First Win

Comments

Posted by: mike | October 11, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

and did he mention that if the boys did not do well, he would kill them?

Posted by: Leeguru | October 11, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

come on CAPS !!! you can do win it !! :)

Posted by: diehardcapsfan | October 11, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Let's go caps! Ovechkin gets 2 tonight I say!

Posted by: LafayetteCaps | October 11, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Blackhawks are showcasing Khabibulin in an effort to trade him. The veteran goalie is in the final year of a contract that pays him $6.75 million and he recently cleared waivers.

Yeah, they are showcasting him to Caps because they want Nylander. Watch Bulin for Nylander and Theodore trade next day if Bulin will look good.

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Fifth - yeah, that's right FIFTH BABY.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Shoot - make that SIXTH BABY - YEAH!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

ENOUGH WITH THESE GOALS FROM THE LEFT!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mauree | October 11, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

You have got to be frakkin' kidding me.............

Posted by: Doncosmic | October 11, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

26 sec? Send him packing!

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

This is ridiculous. An embarrasment to the franchise.

Posted by: JT | October 11, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

all right that save by Jose was spectacular.

Posted by: mauree | October 11, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

lol what a defensive juggernaut

Posted by: wendel | October 11, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!

Needless to say I wish I was at The Booth but at this rate...

We are asleep here boys and girls. Jose is on cold meds and the D are not clearing.

Gabby better remind them this is the NHL.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 11, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

we got lucky on this one... that was offside by the Caps.

Posted by: mauree | October 11, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Brads!!!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 11, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I wish I could be at the game -- I'd buy the team some strong coffee.

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I hate parting with Nylander, but we need to get rid of Jose before it's too late.

Bulin looked ok, obviously better than Jose 'cheap sunglasses' Theodore.

Let's gamble again, take Bulin, give Nylander and Jose to Chicago.

Why give Nyls? Two words: salary cup.

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

no coffee maybe Geritol or Exlax

Posted by: wendel | October 11, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Relax guys it's just the second game :)

I didn't like those goals either but let's give Jose a chance. If he picks up his game he can be really effective.

Posted by: mauree | October 11, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Hockey Mom was booed in Philly as predicted

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Gomez looked excited about seeing governor of Alaska

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

That Mercedez commercial with BB will look very silly soon if Caps won't get rid of Jose.

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope Bruce is kicking each and everyone's ass in there - that was pretty pathetic out there.

I just don't understand theodore. His five-hole is Olie-esque, but it might be worse? Or is he nervous? What's going on?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 11, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

That stats trend shows that Theodore has up and down years in his career. This year it is supposed to be down. As you can see stats don't lie.

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

LEEEEEETTTTTSSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mauree | October 11, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

now this is more like it, if they keep this kinda pressure up Jose won't see much of the puck the rest of the night

Posted by: Doncosmic | October 11, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Bulin looked sharp before Ovie scored, but Ovie can make everyone look silly. Let's trade Jose for Bulin.

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully this is the point we realize the season has finally started...geez.

@Dave,
I guess Palin doesn't have the real Hockey Mom persona. I'm a-bit surprised she was booed though.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 11, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Stupid trip by Steckel and he knows it

Posted by: mauree | October 11, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- To a mixture of boos and cheers, Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin dropped the ceremonial first puck Saturday night at the Philadelphia Flyers' home opener against the New York Rangers.

The Alaska governor and self-described "hockey mom" heard a few boos when she walked onto the ice, but that soon turned to polite applause as she headed to center ice with Mike Richards of the Flyers and Scott Gomez -- from Alaska -- of the Rangers.

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

caps 9 giveaways hawks none

Posted by: wendel | October 11, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

@Dave,

Thanks.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 11, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

It is in boys, c'mon, no doubt. Semin even explained it to Backs in English!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 11, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

My first smile of the night!

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

YEAAAHHHHHH!!!!
OVIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BerniWolfeFan | October 11, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Dagger!! oh wait, that Gil's line

Posted by: Doncosmic | October 11, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Hershey & Norfolk 3-3 in OT

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

@uncatim,
Is Bourque on the board?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 11, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Great game. You got to admit Jose was weak on the first two, but made three spectacular saves that kept us in.

Ovie added the lateral move to his between the legs move. If he can fake one and do the other, like he did tonight... scary stuff...

LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: mauree | October 11, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

aucoin, bouchard, perrault

giroux just scored in SO

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

now bouchard scores in shootout

Bears up 2-0

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov beat, 2-1

Aucoin scores, BEARS WIN!!

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Dave King.

We understand you don't like Jose. This is the second game. Give it a rest for awhile.

The Caps last year, and so far this year, play only 2 periods; mostly the second and third. This HAS to stop. The game is 60 minutes long. Not 40.

The grind line was fantastic tonight. And it's really nice having two second lines and a first. I like the idea of the Alex's playing PK with Fedorov, but I"m worried about their long term production over the span of the season.

If the Caps can play like they did the second and third period all year long, I'm not worried at all. Specially if they start putting together 60 minute games.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 11, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

More weak goaltending from Theodore, then a couple clutch saves, but mostly no action for him.

And for everyone who's telling us one bad game is nothing to get jumpy about as far as he's concerned: we've been crying bloody murder over his signing since well before last night's loss. It's his entire recent career we're worried about. Waive him, bring up Varlamov. Get 'Bulin in to show Varla the ropes. Stanley Cup-winining Russian goalie to mentor hot Russian prospect? Yes, please.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Let's go caps! Ovechkin gets 2 tonight I say!

Posted by: LafayetteCaps | October 11, 2008 6:26 PM

Oh good call self! GO CAPS

Posted by: LafayetteCaps | October 11, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Much better..

Am I worried about the defense? Of course! But the attacking never stops with this team.. seems like they can come back from anything.

Hopefully the offense will win them enough games for the d to come around.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 11, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

You nailed it dude!
Good call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jose is now 1-0

Posted by: 10 Points to LafayetteCaps | October 11, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Oneal:

Which delicious bourbon does that win deserve?

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I celebrated with the always tasty Old Weller Antique. GO CAPS!

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm back with Knob Creek again tonight! But I've got to make the move to Bookers for home use.

By the way, what's up with Backstrom? He was basically invisible all night and he only won two out of his 10 faceoffs. I'm not trying to nitpick while drinking, but he didn't do much last night either.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 11, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Oneal:

If you prefer the high octane whiskeys (as do I), treat yourself to a bottle of George T Stagg. I've never known any one who liked Bookers that didn't like Stagg.

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

And you ask a good question, Backstrom was pretty inconspicuous.

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.

As BB said, "one game is not a trend. If it's more than one, we'll address it".

This is the second game where Jose sucked. But we think that you are still ok with Jose. Nevertheless we'll give you a rest for awhile.

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Home from the booth. Is JT bow legged? That 5 hole would fit a Mack Truck! I must say he settled down but he did not face much in 2 and 3. It may show 1 & 0 but he lost the first game sure as anything and it is a shame Johnny got the loss. I am not a believer, unless JT gets better fast he will lose more than he wins.

Posted by: Bob | October 11, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Personally I think the whole trade Habby thing is crap! Huet is playing like crap letting in lots of soft goals in the pre-season and again last night. I think they played the goalie they thought gave them a chance to win.

Posted by: Bob | October 11, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

All y'all need to shut up with the negativity. It's too da#@%! early in the season for that stuff!!!

That was a FANTASTIC game, and Jose made some really good saves throughout. We won, people! The defense looked a LOT better; the offense was great, and Ovechkin scored twice. We shut down every single penalty we faced, and after the first 11:41, Chicago never scored again!

I see very little to kvetch about, and I personally screamed myself hoarse and had a great time at the game. And if that's not what it's all about, I don't know what is.

Posted by: i rock the red | October 11, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Jose has a bigger 5-hole than Katie Morgan.

Anybody care to top that?

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 11, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Backs--

He has looked pretty much invisible in these first two games. That said, now that the Caps have a win and seemed to have women up a bit, I think he's not too far behind.

Jose was impressive 2nd period on - I was glad to see him settle down a bit.

OH, and what about that opening video? It was so corky, it was hilarious! Ovie looked ridiculous! So funny!

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 11, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Great game to be at (after the first 26 seconds that is...).

What is up with Nick? His ankle is what is up with Nick. Hope he heals fast.

I just love Matt Bradley. Can't wait to hear his quotes about tonight's goal. Great job Brads.

Posted by: Kim | October 11, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Who is Katie Morgan -- Sarah Palin's daughter?

Posted by: Joe 12-pack | October 11, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Jose has a bigger 5-hole than the Grand Canyon.

Oh! I just can't help myself!

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 11, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Ha, *woken up a bit -- though my original comment does fit with the Katie Morgan comment :-)

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 11, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Caps are a very talented team that could go all the way and win the Cup with a reliable goaltender. Theodore was horrendous at the beginning of tonight's game - beyond an embarrassment - and while better as the game went on (frankly he did what any goalie is supposed to do, nothing spectatular at all), he wasn't really tested as the Caps started to control the game and in the 2nd and 3rd there were very few shots on Theodore that required any real skill. His legs look stiff, his positioning is awful (too deep in goal), and he seemed barely there too much of the game. Thursday we will play the Penguins and that will be a true test of whether he's a head case that will soon be gone or whether we'll see a miracle on ice. I hope the latter but don't be surprised if the Caps are forced to make a major change in goal by Halloween. It's simply not fair to all the great young players to have a goalie they can't rely on behind them. It's early so we'll hope the butterflies will recede but it seems like we're seeing the worst combination of a mental problem combined with questionable skill. I'd be the happiest Caps fan if Theodore proves me wrong.

Posted by: Remy S | October 11, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Strange occurence of the night- FUMBLE!!

How can Comcast, the Capitals web site and the local print media all fail miserably in covering a game like tonight? How , you wonder? By completely ignoring last year's playoff push hero who was in town for likely the one and only time for the next two years to play against his former team. Yes, I know he did not start but that's all the more reason he should have been interviewed between periods or at minimum, a taped segement should have been aired during the game. Pitiful, if you ask me. I did not even see him on camera once during the telecast. Was there an imposed Huet ban issued by the Caps management? I cannot fathom how this story could have been totally ignored. There is still time for the print media like the Times or Post to run a story in the paer on Sunday, but I think tere is little to no chance of that happening. If I missed a interview or story about Huet, pleasde correct me with a reply.

Great bounce back win for everyone tonight!

Posted by: Riddler | October 11, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

@Dave King

You gotta be kidding me...that AP report is crap.

Here's the video, she got the bronx cheer:

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Riddler:

Well, at least On Frozen Blog mentioned the Huet situation.

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

uncatim

Thanks....I did read that today. No surprise that they would be the ones to at least mention the guy.

Posted by: Riddler | October 11, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

new thread!

Posted by: new thread | October 11, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

was in section 119 tonight right in line with JT. It's scary how a goalie of 12 years seems afraid of handling the puck behind and to the sides of the goal, very very scary.
Erskine looked good except one bothched clear and Jurcina pounded a bunch of people. Poti looked good. Dee kept Chic to 21 shots, although the fact we spent most of the2nd and 3rd in their end helped.

Posted by: billd | October 11, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse