Boudreau: Ovechkin's status still day to day

Bruce Boudreau was just on NHL Live, and he had just a few short comments about the upper-body injury Alex Ovechkin suffered in last night's game. Here's what the Caps' head coach had to say:

"As far as I know, it's day to day. I haven't seen him this morning, and I haven't talked to the trainers, and I assume I'll do that this afternoon.

"For Alex to take a shift off, something wasn't right. Like I said, right now it's day to day, but I can't give you answers on how long it actually is."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  November 2, 2009; 12:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bog boredom buster: Rolling Stone disses the Caps
Next: Bog: IMG exec talks about Ovechkin deal

Comments

Posted by: joek443 | November 2, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

is there more here than meets the eye ... or less? I'd say it's day to day.

Posted by: ccape1 | November 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Bring in Finley!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 2, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

[sarcasm]This team sucks. Two straight OT losses? Can't hold a lead? I can't believe we're second in the East to the Penguins by two points. Here comes another mediocre season.[/sarcasm]

I'm not sure a tough guy would've helped the situation, as he wouldn't have been on the ice when that incident happened and he probably would've just taken a penalty for instigating later in the game after it happened.

OV probably shouldn't skate by the opposing bench for changes during stoppages though. He got attacked by no less than four players when the scrum started, with no Caps players in the vicinity.

Side note: Anyone canvasing the Philly/Pittsburgh boards to see if they're being as classless as I'd expect them to be?

Posted by: Raber | November 2, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

hope Alex returns soon........ The caps won't win a game without Alex in the line up the way they are playing right now...... still tring to learn how to have the ability to keep a lead and finish the "win" .

Posted by: FishCaps | November 2, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

They're probably too angry about the Phillies World Series play in games 2-4 to say nasty things about Ovy. :p

I'm actually glad it's "upper body." I was more worried about maybe a knee or ligament injury which might put him out long term. It sounds more like something that would keep him out a game or two (if that), and I'd just as soon they treat it conservatively. I'm sure if next game was a playoff game, he'd go even if he had to play with one arm.

Posted by: blackjack65 | November 2, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Bring in Finley!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 2, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

he's been brawling down in SC with the Stingrays. I think the defenseman experiment is over. He's going to have to make it as a winger.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 2, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"I know GMGM doesn't think they need a goon but after last night, does he still think that?"

joek im with you on this but I dont see how having Brashear or the likes of would have stopped Chimmera (sp) from attacking Alex like that.

They took Alex of for 2 minors last night and got him off his game....the injury was a fluke and no one could have predicted that. Alex is a big boy and will police himself. He goes looking to make body contact and eventually hes gonna recieve some back legal or not.

anywho get well soon alex

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | November 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Raber | November 2, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The whole point of having a tough guy or preferably, a TOUGH TEAM, is that it makes other players think twice about approaching or jumping in on one of our star players. Its a deterrent factor. The tough guy doesn't have to be on the ice at the time. If you have a tough team concept, then other teams know they'll pay a price for going after a star player.

You won't see teams mugging Iginla for that reason. When he gets involved, its one-on-one and he usually picks the fight.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 2, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@ Raber

my point is anyone who thinks about going after OV after they got hit would think twice if they had a legit enforcer on the Caps.

it's like NOBODY dared going after Gretzky because Semenko and McSorley would make'em pay

Posted by: joek443 | November 2, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Ovie was named one of the 3 stars of october by the nhl

Posted by: _stevo | November 2, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

anywho get well soon alex

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | November 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

i'm not sure a goon is in order but the team needs to send the message that being physical w/ our guys and we will get physical with your guys. its nice to have a guy go out and pound someone on the other team, but usually its the other teams goon. never understood what impact that had other than to maybe change momentum. i'd rather have guys like brads, erskine, jurcina, clark etc start throwing the lumber around. and i think they did to some extend w/ the scrum behind the net at the end of the game...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 2, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@ dcsportsfan1

if you believe having nuclear weapon serves more as a deterrent than anything else, having an enforcer works in the same way. you don't want your stars getting mixed up in these things.

you can't have some scrub on the other team taking shots at OV, Semin, Backs or Green... it's much less likely to happen if they had a real goon

Posted by: joek443 | November 2, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

About having a goon on the Caps. What this team needs is a guy like Scott Stevenson when he was with the Caps and then the Devils. They need a winger that will way lay the other teams stars legally, very important penalty wise, when they take a run at one of our stars. If the Caps don't get meaner and tougher they won't last past the second round again like last year. Their defense sucks and they all seem to take time off after they get a goal or more lead which lets the other team back into the game.

Simple watch the Pens and Rangers lately as they play defense much better than the Caps and when they get a lead they step on the other teams neck by putting it away. The Caps don't have that killer instinct and they don't look like the will get it any time soon!!!

Posted by: JMinVA | November 2, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

About having a goon on the Caps. What this team needs is a guy like "Scott Stevenson"

Posted by: JMinVA

Who is Scott Stevenson? oh nm I found him
looks pretty tough

Prehaps we could find a gritty forward in the mold of Dale Hunterstein too.

I kid...I kid

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | November 2, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Christmas is around the corner: And old customers can also enjoy the gifts sent by my company in a can also request to our company. Gifts lot,Buy more get the more。Only this site have this treatmentOur goal is "Best quality, Best reputation , Best services". Your satisfaction is our main pursue. You can find the best products from us, meeting your different needs.New to Hong Kong : Winter Dress

---**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 ---**** NFL Jersey $ 35 --**** NBA Jersey $ 34 ---**** MLB Jersey $ 35 ---**** Jordan Six Ring_m $36 ---**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45 ---**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 ---**** Jacket_m $ 36 ---**** Hoody_m $ 50 ---****Manicure Set $ 20

HOT SELL Product Brand is below: Nike Air Jordan(1-25)/Jordan Six Ring/Jordan Fusion/Nike Shox/Air Max/AF1/Dunk: $32 Polo/Ed Hardy/Lacoste/Ca/A&F ……T-shirt:Coach /Gucci/Lv/Ed Hardy/D&G/Fendi ……Handbag:$35 Christian Louboutin/Lv/Ed Hardy/Gucci/Coach/Lacoste/ Timbland……True Religion/Coogi/Evisu/Ed Hardy/Prada ……Jeans:$30 New era/Gucci/Ed hardy ……cap : $13 Okely/Coach/D&G/Fendi/Gucci/Armani …sunglass:$15Nike shoes: 32$, True Religion jeans:30$, Ed Hardy, t-shirts:12$, NFL Jersey:20$,Boots UGG:50$ Welcome to Shopping http://www.coolforsale.com
I wish you a happy shopping

Posted by: huangzhixian104 | November 2, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

@ huangzhixian104

hey nothing like chinese bootleg jerseys in time for christmas......

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | November 2, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

@ huangzhixian104

I looked at your products ...lol @ people who buy your jeresys.They need to be shot....

I love your bablefish command of the english language too

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | November 2, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse