Boudreau Talks About the Cuts

A few comments from Boudreau on the demotion of Chris Bourque and Karl Alzner as well as putting Quintin Laing on waivers:

*On telling the players: "They were the toughest cuts I've ever had to make. Because they did everything they could. It's just not in the cards right now, for whatever reason. We know they are going to play games for us."

*On the team's plans for Fedorov now that there are only six defensemen on the roster: "We signed him as a centerman. We expect him to be our No. 2 centerman. But we feel very confident that he can go back [on defense] and play if we need it."

"If we feel he's better suited back there in the future, that gives us options to do things."

*Boudreau deferred all questions about whether the Alzner decision was performance based or salary cap based to GM George McPhee, who will not comment until tomorrow. Boudreau did say this, however: "One of things we thought was Mike Green started down there [Hershey] and Jeff Schultz started down there and we didn't rush either one of them. We felt the same with Karl. He can develop playing 25, 27 minutes a night [for the Bears] and we know he'll be better for it. We believe he's going to have a great NHL future. But right now, at the start of the NHL season, it wasn't in the cards."

*Asked why the decisions were made today when the deadline is not until Wednesday at 3 p.m, Boudreau said: "Why wait? Hershey plays Wednesday. We're always cognizant of Hershey's situation. Quintin wouldn't have been able to play because of the waiver wire."

"We thought we should do it today, so the poor kids wouldn't be sitting there with bated breath wondering what's going on with them. If we knew what we had to do at this time, why put them through more torture. Having been in that situation myself, I know how difficult that is."

*About how they took the news, Boudreau said: "I don't think anyone was shocked. They were all very professional. Chris said he did everything he could to make this team. He will play for the Washington Capitals. Karl Alzner did everything he could."

"Quintin, he was so proud to be a Washington Capital, he probably took it the hardest."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 6, 2008; 6:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bourque, Alzner and Laing to Hershey
Next: Ovechkin Departs Early

Comments

Hillarious, "so proud to be a Washington Capital"

Absolutely priceless.

BB, you really need a reality check, leave the politics to others.

Posted by: Chief | October 6, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Since Laing is obviously too good for the AHL but not quite good enough for the Caps, why not move him to a team that needs a guy like him?

It'd only be fair.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

chief-what are you talking about?

politics? it was probally this guys dream to play in the NHL and he got to do it. He was very proud I'm sure.

I'm sorry-did you not understand that?

Politics? dude, what are you talking about.

Posted by: Shwedick | October 6, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

(from the previous)

toughhockey:
"Laing, players like him are a dime a dozen so no great loss there."
I understand why he went down, but I disagree that he is a dime a dozen - that kid has more heart than a lot of guys on the ice today.

Posted by: Boo! | October 6, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Chief, I think you just enjoy negativity. Some folks are just that way. If you saw Laing play, watched him interact with fans, etc. then you would understand how the fans & other players liked him so much. If there was any way the Caps could have kept the man, they would have done that.

Posted by: Doug | October 6, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

As much as I like Laing,

I do think it'd be wise to try to move him. He is this eras Kent Manderville.

Great locker room guy
Plays at 1000% every game and every shift
Doesnt score a ton of goals
Will do EVERYTHING he can to block a shot
Great on the PK

Maybe another team that has some injuries or cap issues might be able to give him a place to play on an NHL roster each night.
All it would take is a late round draft pick

Posted by: JD | October 6, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

It's great that BB understands Hershey, their players and their needs as well as he does. It really benefits both teams.

Posted by: Boo! | October 6, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hope that Laing clears waivers, it would be pretty cool for him to get a regular gig some place. He certainly deserves it ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 6, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I would assume a utility guy like Laing would have some value elsewhere. He obviously is good enough for the NHL but its all a numbers game in Washington and they have too many guys so he is on the bubble.

Posted by: Capppies | October 6, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

CHIEF! I have missed you! What are your feelings as we go in to the season? (without the negativity.) Your comments are very incitful, and I know I get something out of them, when you ignore management

Posted by: Leeguru | October 6, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I stick to Dominion beers at VC, and as for pregaming at RFD, I love it, though I usually get something crazier than DFH. I love DFH, but I can get at least the 60 minute alot of places, and there is so much at RFD that you can't find elsewhere

Posted by: Doncosmic | October 6, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Ok the part at the end about Laing taking it the hardest hit me in the gut! I love that guy, and he is an amazing, I hope to god things work out for him, something tells me he is going to be picked up by someone...and that makes me sad but I wish him and his family all of the best:-(

Posted by: Puddin_An_Semin | October 6, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Lee, you don't need to ask Chief's opinions. We all know them by heart:
AZAMAT is a clueless buffoon. The Midget should be under indictment for making as many bad investments as WAMU, Fannie and Freddie combined. And even if the Caps win the Cup this year, it won't matter - we still had to wait too long, so it's cold comfort. His glass isn't half full or half empty; apparently GMGM stole it!

Posted by: JB | October 6, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Last year the Caps were built to be an entertaining regular season team, even that plan almost failed.

This year they are as close to being identical as you get, only now they are no longer "smart & prudent" but "cap challenged", demonstrating (again) the incredible talent it takes to give players money, real "prudent".

So again, this team is set to entertain "red rockin", "keep believin" sheep that are called fans.

No way are they positioned to compete in post season play. Enjoy the fantasy league world, Caps look to do well there, given all that "depth", especially at center.

Posted by: Chief | October 6, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Bourque saying Caps lied to him, told me the Caps GM is a bold faced liar.

Wants to be dealt.

Posted by: NHL Guy | October 6, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Do you not think they have a lot of young talent that in the next few years will make a huge difference?

Posted by: Leeguru | October 6, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

anyone know how long it takes to clear waivers?

Posted by: wendel | October 6, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

How many years has that been hyped ?

Pipeline, the Farm etc....

How is a team supposed to change when the decisions are being made by the same person/people ?

Look at the current problem, the Caps can't afford to keep the best possible players on their roster, thanks in large part to the mismanaged payroll.

Took them years of losing, only to find themselves with the wrong guys collecting the money, that money should have been allocated to the youth, but they're too stupid to even recognize they are carrying at least 3 - 4 that should not be on the team, and/or were BEAT out by others.

Talk about young guys getting the shaft.

Posted by: Chief | October 6, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to ride the bus.

Hope Erskine and Milan enjoy the charter flight

Posted by: Lepisto | October 6, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Makes sense to me. Alzner and Bourque are on both rosters: They get top minutes in Hershey, and they whisper in Erskine's and Flash's ears here in DC. I hope Laing stays in the Caps system, but Kevin Low (sic) probably will pick him up for spite. And grit.

Caps have been smart about developing talent: They gave Alzner, Godfrey, Bourque a taste, not haste--no Eminger repeats! They've amassed a bunch of young and really young talent, secured a coach those players seem to trust, and built a top-notch training facility to boot. The Caps are emerging as a smart, stable, savvy organization. No wonder the best hockey player in the world and his hard-nosed momager signed here for the long haul.
let the Games begin!

Posted by: redlineblue | October 6, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

The conspiracy theories need work. I would hope they would make me laugh, but all I'm doing is rolling my eyes.

Selfishly I'd like to see Q stay in our system. It's great to give Alzner time to develop. Carrying 6 D plus Feds, we'll surely be needing a call-up at some point. Same for Bourque. It's great that we have the depth that we do. Meanwhile Hershey is gonna be great again this season!

Posted by: Jill | October 6, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes I said "great" 3 times!

Posted by: Jill | October 6, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Poor QL. I'll wear my Laing jersey with pride, even if some other team picks him up.

Unless it's the pens.

Posted by: Jordan | October 6, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

another question re waivers
Can another team pick laing up then send him to the Ahl like what happened to Kris Beech last year?

Posted by: wendel | October 6, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Bourque (and possibly Laing) should be on this team. I feel a lot better with Bourque on the ice than Semin of Fleischmann.

Posted by: Chris | October 6, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I hope we don't lose Quint. What a guy to have on any team. I wish him al lthe best if he leaves and if not, win another Calder.

Posted by: EricS | October 6, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Bourque is only 22 years old. He'd be just out of his senior year of college if he had stayed.

Alzner just turned twenty. He has plenty of time no need to rush him.

Laing is 29. I love Laing and I still plan on getting a white Laing jersey soon, but right now we just don't have room for him and may not in the future. The best thing for him might be to get picked up by another club so he can make some more NHL money while he can.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 6, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

QL should be aware that people who know hockey in DC were proud to have him as a member of the Capitals. He was one of those rare players that provide heart to a team. I hope we see him back soon!

Posted by: Bob | October 6, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

once again, chief is spot on with his analysis of the team. i mean, this team has no way to compete in the playoffs. do they even have a guy who's won the stanley cup? how about been to a game 7 in the cup finals? anyone who's won a championship at any level?

and they have totally mismanaged the payroll. seriously, resigning green to that big contract. not worth it. and morrison, total stiff. dont even get me started on OV. way overpaid. they should have signed huet for more money though. that would have been a good idea.

yeah, this team is not built to compete. overrated coach and all.

chief, how you have managed to go unemployed by a professional hockey team is beyond me. you seem so full of knowledge. all those specifics about who you would have paid what or who you would have gotten rid of are great reading.

all those people who bought tickets. total sheep. and those who don't like the team but read and post on a team blog, totally sane. keep on rocking the stupid my man.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | October 6, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

For those who are interested in what's going on in Hershey, John Walton has debuted a new Bears podcast, kind of the same as Vogel's weekly Caps Report.

Posted by: tess | October 6, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Actually if Semin and Kozlov had the desire of QL and CB this team would be unbeatable. Actually I could name a number of players who could use that kind of desire, but those two are notablle because of their talent!

Posted by: Bob | October 6, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Please don't acknowledge Chafe. Let him go back to his room in his mom's basement.

Posted by: Mark | October 6, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

We are as surprised as anyone that we are still in town. We thought we would be playing for the bolts this weekend.

Posted by: juiceskine | October 6, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

It makes sense to give Alzner some pro experience. He is a sure thing in the NHL from what I saw, but he can benefit from more minutes in the AHL for a while. I feel very bad for Bourque since he did absolutely everything he could and was asked to do. But injuries are bound to happen and he will be back.

I loved Laing's heart, and I feel crushed for him, but realistically her wasn't going to get to play on this team at this point. Even Fehr and Fleishmann won't be playing every night. And, if one more is going to get added with injuries, it's going to be Bourque at this point.

Posted by: HockeyBob | October 6, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

maybe HUET is goaltender bluejackets played against. 22shots 15 saves.

Posted by: sporttraveler | October 6, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

why can't chiefs IP address be blocked, huh? WHY?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Talk about young guys getting the shaft.

Posted by: Chief | October 6, 2008 7:24 PM

Is this to imply that you think Alzner, Bourque and Lainge are the best players on this team and we can't afford to keep them on the team? Really? Are you serious?

Posted by: Chris | October 6, 2008 7:44 PM

Bourque over Semin? Are you really serious about that? Please!! Evan Flash showed a great ability to score goals in the pre-season.

People need to think before they write. Some of these thoughts are ridiculous.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | October 6, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

@ CT Caps Fan

Hey give Chief and Caps Fan 1 a break -- it's preseason for the crackheads. Their nonsensical rants are not truly up to par until about the allstar break when they start writing about how overrated OV is. Opps, I think they may have gone there already. I actually love to read their rants that have no relation to facts and less relation to reality. The air most be pretty bad in their mother's basements.

Posted by: JIM | October 6, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, there is no way that I can see where Q clears waivers. Too much heart. For teams lacking on that trait, how could they ever pass on such character?

Have had the odd opportunities to share a few words with this gentleman and wish him nothing but the best. Here's hoping the rest of the NHL is sleeping on this one.

Posted by: OleMiss | October 6, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Kozlov sucks for his money

Posted by: truth be told | October 6, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

At least CapsFan1 was sarcasm. Chief actually thinks he knows something. Of course, he actually may, we just will never know because he never cites anything. Just his self-defined "vast knowledge".

Waivers are 24 hours. In QL's case, both down and back up. Section 13.18 http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf

This makes it more difficult to use QL irregularly during the season. It almost has to be planned for a LT stay rather than a yo-yo that Alzner or Bourque could do.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 6, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Why keep Lepisto AND Alzner in Hershey? Have Jurcina and Erskine really solidified 5-6? Really?

One or both of them is gonna see a few dozen games, but who gets called up first?

Posted by: Ben | October 6, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

OK, I was wrong about Alzner starting the year in D.C.

But Karl will be here by Thanksgiving. Right?

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 7, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Ok so Jack might be talking here tonight, but I think it's a great problem that the Caps have right now with the young guys & their current roster. The caps have great talent with the official roster right now, and they definitely have some solid promising talent down(up) the road in Hershey. With BB @ the helm for the whole season, I think that the Caps are in better position than ever.

Laing - we all hope for the best, whether it's with the Caps or another organization.

Alzner & Bourque - kick some ass in Hershey and we'll see you soon. BTW - are you guys going to change your #'s?

Despite Chief's assessment of the organization, and how piss poor it is with it's shafty line-up, lack of depth, and salary mismangement; we all know what's up. We know the real answer, and Chief will be eating crow. (Hint to Chief - wikipedia "eat crow")

P.S. - It's fun to hack @ Chief w00ts! Welcome back!

Posted by: migz | October 7, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Anyone knows if Fehr gained a spot on the roster and if so on wich line? Did he played well on camp? Any stats or link? Thx in advance. (I have him on my virtual team and desperately wait for news, lol)

Posted by: Paysk | October 7, 2008 5:04 AM | Report abuse

The ultimate irony of chief is that he regularly comments on how the organization treats people in terms of respect, yet demonstrate a complete lack of social skills or respect for anyone.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 7, 2008 6:49 AM | Report abuse

A real problem for QL is re-entry waivers. If we decide to recall him this year any team that claims him gets him for half price. The Caps will end up paying half his salary. I gotta believe there is a team out there who would want him for half of whatever he is being paid!

Posted by: Bob | October 7, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Kozlov doesn't suck. He is strong on the puck, difficult to move, and has strong all around hockey sense. This isn't your fantasy league rosters where everyone pots 30 to 40 goals. Kozlov makes any line he is on better. He was a plus 28 afterall. That's not all because of Ovechkin. I believe last season was the first year that OV was a plus player other than his rookie plus 2. One of the differences was playing with Kozlov.

Also, Kozlov is in a contract year. his last contract year with the Islanders (albeit a much different team) he scored 25 goals. That is an anomoly though. Since 1994, he has only scored 20 or more goals twice. THat isn't necessarily the role though for the 6'4" 232 pound Kozlov. The doubters need to watch how strong he is with the puck down low in the corners.

Posted by: Caps 423 | October 7, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

OV/Backstrom/Kozlov
Laich/Fedorov/Semin
Fleischmann/Nylander/Clark
Brashear/Steckel/Bradley

Green/Morrisonn
Poti/Schultz
Jurcina/Erskine

Theodore/Johnson

Gordon/Fehr = Healthy scratches = 22 players

I'm really only disappointed in Erskine making the lineup. He sucks. Alzner will end up seeing lots of PT on the big team, I really think Bourque is a year away from cracking the lineup for good.

Next season's FA's are Kozlov, Laing, Gordon, Fedorov, Brashear.

Dont be surprised is you see this line up at times this season as we get around the salary cap constrictions.

OV/Backstrom/Kozlov
Semin/Nylander/Clark
Fleischmann/Laich/Fehr
Brashear/Steckel/Bradley

Green/Morrisonn
Poti/Fedorov
Schultz/Jurcina

Posted by: Anonymous | October 7, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I concur that Erskine sucks. I think the only reason he has a spot is to give Alzner more time to develop in Hershey where he'll play top minutes.

Posted by: Jill | October 7, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

That last defensive pairing scares me. Jurinica has played well this preseason and is a decent blueliner. He can hit, skate, and position himself, but his outlet passes leave a bit to be desired at times. Erksine -- plain ol' yikes. He's just too slow for this league. I can see other teams top lines pinning the puck down low on those two until one of them hooks, holds, or simply misses an assignment. I hope Sami or Alzner are called up soon to skate with Juice.

Posted by: JIM | October 7, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Boy, wasn't too hard to predict this lineup back in July, was it?

To those knocking on Kozzy's play, just take a look at his stats over the last 1/3 of the season last year. The man is a monster game-changer and deserves every penny of what he's getting. I will say this once, then repeat twice for those who don't listen well. THERE IS MORE TO THIS GAME THAN PUTTING PUCKS IN THE NET. When you have a guy on your team who sticks 60+ of them in the net, you get less chances. Plain and simple. THERE IS MORE TO THIS GAME THAN PUTTING PUCKS IN THE NET.

Semin, on the other hand, probably has some of the best raw talent on the team. The kid should get back to the 35-40 goal range this year if he says healthy, but anyone who watched his play closely during the playoffs can see that this kid should be ready to contribute at a much higher level.

As for our D situation. I keep pointing to the "In Defense of Jose, the Defense infront of Jose" article on Japer's. But, something that should stand out even more is that ALL... ALL of our regular defensemen last year were on the + side of +/-. EVERY DAMN ONE OF THEM (yes, even Big John Erskine). Not even the Cup Champs can claim that. As I said above, THERE IS MORE TO THIS GAME THAN PUTTING PUCKS IN THE NET.

Just to let you all know. Each and every game I'm able to give my undivided attention to (that I'm not at in person) I will be taking defense specific notes. For Home games, which pairing BB chooses to put out against the other team's top line. For away games, which D pairing the other team puts their top line against. Other things I'm going to watch for are "zone entrance..." What players choose to do when they have 2 defensemen to pick from. Of course I will discount dump-ins for line-change purposes, but when a player chooses to dump+chase or skate/pass cross ice, I feel this is a measure of who fears who. I will try to post my findings after the game or the following day, and give regular updates. Unfortunately, this will be in no way scientific as I will be unable to do it for every game.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 7, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I played my heart out and this is what I get, GMGM you are a world class guy, give us goals that we meet and then ignore us Erskine just collects a paycheck so I guess now I can too, riding a bus with Alzner will be good for morale..hopefully Laing goes to a organization that will have direction and a goal

Posted by: 56 | October 7, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I am worried that Sami is going to get frustrated with this whole situation and not wanna resign with us this year. Because I bet now Alzner probably gets called up ahead of him, a 3 or 4 year pro (counting Finn league time). Poor Sami :(

Posted by: Jordan | October 7, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Call the WAAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance... people are crying about nothing!

To me, Bourque is no different than Gordon or Bradley. They may do somethings, but they are not game changers. So, no big deal he is on the team. Laing, they guy gives a lot of heart, but we simply don't have the room right now. Alzner was the biggest question - from what I see, this kid is good. But, at the same time, it's NOT going to hurt him nor the organization if he stays in Hershey playing 15 more minutes a night.

Tarik, what is the +/- number of idiots on your blog? 20? 30?

Posted by: 828 | October 7, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Chief, Cap Fan 1, etc etcetcetc

Why bring the negativity people? It's a game. The team is better today then it was 5 years ago. I like my team today. I liked my team twenty years ago. I'm thinking that you're actually a Ranger's fan or maybe a Bolts fan. I'm not in love with GMGM personality. He's one cold fish, but he's getting the job done. Ted L. is one of the best owners in all of sports. GIVE US A BREAK! I've lurked for to long reading your BS for to long. If you don't like the team try golfing or dancing or painting. I've heard that ping pong needs my fans.... Leave us alone...

Posted by: RestonCapFan | October 7, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Chill...

Bourque is 22...
Fehr is 23...
Alzner is 20...
Lepisto has played 1 year in N.America...

It isnt their year... That is what happens to good young players on really good teams. You what your turn. It happens in every good organization. Chill. Getting into the NHL at the age of 23 isnt unheard of, in fact, its more common than not.

They are all competitors... Of course they are upset they are not on the big team.

Here are our FA's next season...

Brashear - possible replacement - Bourque
Erskine - PR - Lepisto
Morrisonn - PR - Alzner
Kozlov - PR - Fehr
Fedorov - PR - Perrault
Gordon - PR - A.Gordon
Jurcina - PR - Carlson
Schultz - PR - Schultz

Wait, be patient, their time will come.

Posted by: JSchon | October 7, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

This is only Lepisto's 2nd full year Pro, unless I'm mistaken, and therefore still has another year on his contract with the Caps, so i'm not worried about him leaving.

Not only that, but have you seen the Caps' D, lately? We've got Erskine and Jurcina playing their ways off the team and Alzner and Lepisto will both be ready to take their places. Lepisto should see that one of those two spots is his to lose, and, if he loses it, then that means that someone else earned it ahead of him, meaning we'll have a better team.

I think Lepisto will be fine, at least in the near future, simply because, regardless of his great camp, Carlson, I think, is still a good 2 years away, at least. But I could be wrong. If we see him next year, that means he worked his way there, and, as Caps fans, i think we'll all be just fine with that outcome.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 7, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Time for some swagger -- just how bad do you think the Caps will trash the Thrasers on Friday? I'm thinking 5-2, if Atl plays well.

Posted by: JIM | October 7, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

FFSEnough,
I've counted with an Erskine/Juice pairing last season. About 8 times out of 10, they'll go Erskine-side.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 7, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

The ability for people on here to speak for the professionals we follow so closely is just astonishing. The humor of Papa-Panzer aside (where are you, dude? Working hard on your 3/4's slappa for this season?) All of these guys are professionals, and not a single one of them is STUPID. We know not what GM promised, but "If you play well, a roster spot is yours" would never be promised to anybody before camp starts. CB is a smart kid. He, just like everyone of his teammates know how this game works. The ONLY roster spot open for CB was Fehr/Flash's. So what do YOU do as a GM? Waive a guy like Fehr (who will get gobbled up) to put a rook like CB on the team who wouldn't get full minutes. Or do you let CB continue to develop, play top minutes in Hershey, and wait for the INEVITABLE injury that will force CB's callup? I have outlined in the past how the waiver wire forces decisions. I don't want to have to do it again.

CB is completely capable of looking at the lineup and understanding who he would have to beat to make the team. THERE IS MORE TO THIS GAME THAN PUTTING PUCKS IN THE NET. Might he have played better than Brads or Gordo for a spot? Sure. BUT THE 4TH LINE IS NOT WHERE CB BELONGS and HE knows this. He needs to beat out Fehr, Flash, Laich, Clark and Kozy. He knows his time is next year. He knows he played well enough for the caps to not have to worry about resigning Kozy. He also knows as soon as a FWD is hurt, he's the man.

I can tell though that there are some new people here. You will learn quickly that there are a few people that most of us just don't respond to. Take note. Your life will be much less stressful when you do.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 7, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

JSchon:

I don't think Fehr's a Kozlov replacement. Nobody on the Caps, excepting Nylander, handles the puck as well as Kozlov does, and, more importantly, no other RW on the team draws as much attention as he does. He makes it (slightly more) possible for Ovie to break open and work his magic.I think a FA signing is the only Kozlov replacement option. Hossa, Heatley, etc. (Hossa I wouldn't mind seeing in a Caps sweater...) Fehr would have to become a different player entirely to be step up to # 1 RW -- that or start scoring 50 a year himself, with Backs and Ovie.

If that doesn't happen, though, I think Clark replaces Kozlov, Fehr takes #2 if he's not already there, and Bouchard comes up to take # 3.

I also don't think the Gordons are swappable. Granted, I've never seen A. Gordon play, but B. Gordon does his job the way he should, and doesn't merit replacement, unless A is really that much faster, checkier, Gordonier.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 7, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey RestonCapFan, I'm with you 100%.

Cuts had to be made....Alzner will definitely be back up when the time is right. Bourque too if he he lights up the AHL) And that could involve moving one of the D's that everyone is unhappy with, if they give us (well coaches to be more specific) reason to be unhappy.

The great news is, we haven't moved any of our stars, and we have way more than we did two years ago and we have some steady eddies that can keep the opponents scores down.

Let's look to Ovy,Nyls,Backstrom,Feds,Semin posting some big numbers and maybe Clark, Flash and others will also break through. I'm looking forward to some exciting games....all the way to June!

Posted by: PotomacCapFan | October 7, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Who would win between da Caps and the Atlanta Thrashers?

Da Caps win by a landslide - 36 to zero.

Who would win? Da Caps or a Hurricane?

Da Caps 20, Hurrican 12.

What if the Hurricane was named Ovechkin?

Posted by: SNL Skit (Da Bears) | October 7, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, I'm really glad to have you as the Post's hockey writer, and Capitals Insider always provides good information.

However, I believe you made one mistake in this posting. You wrote, "Boudreau deferred all questions about whether the Alzner decision was performance based or salary cap based to GM George McPhee, who will not comment [i]until[/i] tomorrow."

I believe you meant "...George McPhee, who will not comment tomorrow."

Posted by: Joe B | October 7, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Joe B,

No, GMGM will comment tomorrow when he talks to the press.

unless you were trying to be sarcastic?

Posted by: 828 | October 7, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

use the gt and lt sign to make something italic...

ITALIC

Posted by: 828 | October 7, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

JMU-

Thanks for the input. I have been a VERY huge fan of Juice since the first couple games we got him from Bean-Town. I met him at Hanlon's last game (he came to sign autographs for STH-Rookies) last season and was impressed in-person at the size of the dude. But all that aside, he's our best physical defender and he's still young and will only get better.

BB made some comments after the 2nd PHI game that Juice played a fantastic game and that he believes they are finally overcoming the language barrier that was a problem last year. I never knew there was that much of a barrier with Juice, but now that I think back to when I met him, he had a "handler" with him and really didn't speak much. Am I blind? no. did I see juice make a bonehead play that cost the caps a playoff game last year? Sure did. But I can point to specific instances where 52, 3, 26 all cost the caps a goal.

More than just Juice/Erskine, I want to see about the other pairings also, but moreso the matchups. The coach's decisions tell us a lot about what THEY see and how they scout other teams. THIS is what fascinates me.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 7, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Quintin Laing is a far better player then Juice. You would never see Juice diving across the ice to block shots and that is his job! Juice is a joke... everytime he is in the other team scores cause his head is in the clouds. He is as big of freak as Chara

Posted by: RedRocker:) | October 7, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

If BB was to skate again, he'd score what 10 goals a game? And OV will break 50 goals in the first week?
Da Caps, Da Caps, Da Caps! Oh no, third heart attack of the morning! More sausage please

Posted by: JIM | October 7, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Time to add RedRocker to the Chief crew.

Others, take note at the humor in his post:
1. Difference between Wingers and Dmen.
2. Difference in the job of fwd and defender in 4-man PK box.

Discuss 1 + 2.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 7, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

WOW you are a quick one FFS! You must have been in the GT program growing up.

Laing is a utility player.... Juice does nothing accept score for the other team.JOKE JOKE JOKE. Are you the guy that proudly walks around the booth in his jersey?

Posted by: RedRocker :) | October 7, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

re: my post from 8:42pm last night.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date: 1550
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b: the use or language of sarcasm.

see you guys saturday night!

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | October 7, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

So, let me get this straight, THERE IS MORE TO THIS GAME THAN PUTTING PUCKS IN THE NET? :)

Kozlov is all about the puck control and grabbing a point here and there. I hope he pots a few goals, but when the other team has to expend that much energy trying to defend their own end..... It is good to be a Caps fan!

Posted by: Mark | October 7, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@Cap Fan 1 - haha yeah don't worry, some of us picked up on it.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 7, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Ok the rocker is right on Juice. I noticed that last season. We (STH) have been talking about that for awhile.

Posted by: TheJuice Man | October 7, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Okay - it's a business first. We all need to be aware of that. Sure, if you think that Erskine or Jurcina should not be on the roster but Alzner should, you're probably right. But he makes more $$ than they do, and in order to stay under the cap, he has to play in Hershey. My guess is that it won't be long until he's at the VC and kicking butt for the Caps.

Posted by: RobMonroe | October 7, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The only thing that bugs me is that the Caps are not starting the season with their best 22 players.

1st place in the South East is not guaranteed and every game will count.

I just hope that the team gets off to a better start than last season.

As for Laing, he is not a dime a dozen player. The fact is that not many players are willing to sacrafice their body like he does. I hope he clears waivers because the Caps will need a player like him at some point this season.

Posted by: red dragon | October 7, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

@DrinkinPartner

The only FA signings that could replace the big OLF is Hossa and Heatley? I will not dig too hard but I think you are going a bit far. I def think Fehr has the game to be a #1 RW. He drives the net, he can pass, hes got a great shot. Just needs another half year to get to where he needs to be. I am telling you right now, Fehr will be getting his shot at top 6 minutes half way through the year.

OH AND TO ALL YOU *SSHOLES THAT SAID I WAS CRAZY FOR THINKING THEY WOULD SEND DOWN ALZNER, KISS MY *SS. LOGIC WOULD HAVE TOLD YOU THERE IS NO WAY THEY CAN AFFORD TO PAY A 5-6 DMAN 1.675 AGAINST THE CAP. I SAID THAT OVER AND OVER BUT I GUESS NOW THAT TARIK SAID IT, IT MAKES SENSE.......

@Jschon

I have to admit if you didn't see it, I did give Alzner the sweater even though the cap doesn't let us. I saw him play against the Flyers and man he was good.

Posted by: 94 | October 7, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Oh, we're going to get into an HTML primer, are we? Sorry, Tarik, gonna go OT for a sec here and annoy people.

Want a <? Type &lt;. Same with a > - type &gt;.
Want italics? Type <i>message in italics</i>.
Same with bold or underline. Type <b>bolded text</b> or <u>underlined text</u>.

How'd I get the ampersand to show? &amp;.

There's a whole freakin' host of these characters. This list will get you started but there's a whole pile more of them.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 7, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

1101000100100
1001001001001
1001000010010
0000001000000
0000001100000
0000001110000

Posted by: MNMNT | October 7, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

FFS Enough

I look forward to what you come up with on the D. I do think that the +/- is a bit unreliable because of the way that it is calculated. I have no data to prove this, but it seems to me that Schultz, Juice and Erksome are on the ice a lot when the other team scores on our PK. No '-' issued for that, as I know you know.

Jschon

On your list of who replaces whom. I won't try to state that A is a replacement for B, but I will say that I think that Kozy is here next year along with Mo. I think this is Juice's and Gordo's year to prove they belong. I won't cry if the others are gone.

And folks, let's face facts. There's a world of hockey players out there that will never even get a sniff at the NHL for reasons wholy beyond their control while others will be in the league but shouldn't be. Getting to this level takes a hell of a lot of skill and a good chunk of luck.

We all loved QL because he understood this. Last year was his year to prove he was worthy of being called an NHL'er. For awhile he did. The Caps really needed his selflessness, and I think he woke some of the guys up. I don't think he will be needed this year.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 7, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Great basic HTML reference here: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/Overview.html

Posted by: this space for rent | October 7, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Red

Utility player. UTILITY PLAYER? Fedorov is a Utility player. Clark, Koz, Laich and Gordon are OFFENSIVE utility players. LAING is the furthest thing we have from a utility player.

(Disclaimer: I love what QL can bring to a team, but when his value is measured in 4-7 2-minute chunks per game, you can see why he's not given a jersey right away.)

Laing doesn't score goals. He's not going to put up 20+ assists in a season. The most he would do is fill in as a 4th line FWD and excel as normal in the penalty kill. Utility player he is not and HE DOES NOT PLAY DEFENSE.

Please, Rocker and JuiceMan. Head over to japersrink.blogspot.com and search for "In Defense of Jose, the Defense infront of Jose..." Follow the link to the analysis of the D. Learn it, love it, and be HAPPY that we are returning the best defense in the eastern conference from last year.

Posted by: FFS Enougn | October 7, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

New Blog. And, cause I dug it out for that one, I'll post it here:

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 7, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

IT WORKED! IT WORKED! You are the dork in the Juice Jersey LOL... You are a joke!

Posted by: RedRocker:) | October 7, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse